Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Exactly.  Every FJ clue contains important information.

I did not get FJ.  MLB is not one of my wheelhouses. I've never heard of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

I'm the opposite. Baseball is one of those categories that could get me in trouble since it's probably the subject about which I know the most. I'd be one of those contestants who'd wager everything regardless of the situation if that category came up for a DD or FJ. If I got it wrong, you'd all be talking about (rightfully so) my terrible wagering skills. If I got it right, Alex would inevitably make some stupid comment about me being a female who has the audacity to know anything about sports.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 4

I'm the opposite. Baseball is one of those categories that could get me in trouble since it's probably the subject about which I know the most. I'd be one of those contestants who'd wager everything regardless of the situation if that category came up for a DD or FJ. If I got it wrong, you'd all be talking about (rightfully so) my terrible wagering skills. If I got it right, Alex would inevitably make some stupid comment about me being a female who has the audacity to know anything about sports.

teebax - I'm going to wager it all.

Alex - Hel-loooow!

teebax - answers correctly and now has a commanding run away lead

Alex - Well, what do you know? You guessed right!

• Love 6

Hey guys!  Just found this forum...Jeopardy watcher for more years than I care to admit.  Went to a tryout in Dayton about 20 yrs ago.  Had to get 45 out of 50 (paper quiz) to go to the next round where you did the buzzer thing.  I got 44...;-(.  I will never forget what Boxing Day is.

Love the snark....love The Thornbirds and Richard C was spot on casting.  Rachael Ward on the other hand spoiled the whole thing for me.  Meggie being a redhead is an integral part of the story.  She just didn't work.  I couldn't come up with the author either even tho I've read the book multiple times.  Got as far as Colleen.  Gotta dust off my dog-eared copy.

I've had a crush on Alex for years...would love to have dinner with him sometime.

• Love 3
(edited)

This would be me. I was excited to see MLB as the catagory expecting history or even something about current players or records etc and then was so disappointed that it was a these color represent what team.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

And, my son and I STILL laugh about whatever poster scripted Alex Trebek proposing to his wife:

"Will you marry me?"

"No."

"Boo, hiss"

"Ok, I will."

"Hellloooooo!"

We will spontaneously do this bit & laugh our heads off. I can't recall who posted it, but i want to thank you.

You're welcome.

• Love 6
(edited)

Would much prefer they show reruns of ancient seasons than the one we've just seen. I'd actually watch those! Would even get a kick out of seeing Ken once again.

That would be the best EVAH. I'd love to watch Ken's entire run since I was working out of the house at the time so only got to see his episodes one or twice. I have the BIGGEST most HUGE crush on Ken Jennings ...

Now Trebek, on the other hand ... OhioSongBird, I was going to "like" your post until you wrote this: "I've had a crush on Alex for years...would love to have dinner with him sometime." So much UGH. I cannot stand that man. And if he were to appear shirtless, I would barf my lunch AND dinner. So much UGH. And yeah, I'd rather see Sheldon AND Leonard shirtless all day than a shirtless Trebek for one instance.

Whew. That was quite a rant. Some day I will tell y'all how I really feel.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

Didn't Mags forget to say "who is" in the Annie Oakley clue? I kept waiting for Alex to correct it but he never did. I guss it didn't matter, as he came in last anyways, but it is annoying. Not the first time this season this has happened, either.

Also I spent most of the show trying to figure out who he reminds me of. It was quite distracting.

• Love 8

Didn't Mags forget to say "who is" in the Annie Oakley clue? I kept waiting for Alex to correct it but he never did. I guss it didn't matter, as he came in last anyways, but it is annoying. Not the first time this season this has happened, either.

I noticed that too -- and was also expecting a judging change when they came back from the commercial break after the Jeopardy round.  But nothing.

That $2000 clue in the 'On the Island' category was just odd -- Luzon is the main island in the Philippines, but the way the clue was worded it sounded more like the answer would be an island that Filipinos didn't already live on and traveled to outside of the Philippines.  Which kind of explains why it was a TS.

FJ was pretty easy ... once again.

• Love 3

Took me about 2 seconds to get Kevin Bacon.

Alex was a little snippy when Tara said Pluto for the rings clue, remarking that it is no longer a planet but I believe it was when the rings were discovered - it was still wrong but he needn't have been snippy about it.

I think if Andy had given even a second's thought before he answered of Dr. Jekyll he would have realized it was wrong.

I liked the Critteratures category.

I'll be watching the tournaments since I know I missed a lot of the episodes.

• Love 3

it was still wrong but he needn't have been snippy about it.

Oh, but he wouldn't be Alex Trebek if he were not snippy and condescending to everyone!

I, too, noticed the "Who is ..." left off of Annie Oakley. I wondered if it was an editing glitch given that I think they might be still dubbing in Trebek's croaking frog voice.

I agree with Otto about the wording of that island clue. I came up with Fiji since it's not part of the Phillipines. Yeah, I know, shot in the dark.

• Love 1

I think I read someone on here saying that in the Jeopardy! round you get a freebie if you forget the "Who is" part of the question but you'll get dinged in Double Jeopardy!

Mags had a tendency to slur his words and it drove me nuts. I like Tara even though I thought Pluto was a silly answer because there are no rings on it. I also can't believe no one said Jupiter or Saturn.

• Love 1

I thought maybe Mags' leaving off of "Who is" was an editing glitch, too, since they are still dubbing Alex's voice. 

I was shouting Jupiter! at the TV, and couldn't believe Andy missed Dr. Moreau. 

• Love 1

I thought Pluto was a dumb answer because if it does have rings, they're too far away and too small to detect. Now that they've gotten a better look at Pluto, rings are one of the things they're looking for, but it is definitely not one of the planets known to have rings. Then when Alex mentioned it's not a planet anymore, I said "oh yeah..." I think it's pretty easy to forget that Pluto isn't a planet anymore, but it still never had (or was known to have) rings.

On the other hand, Saturn was too obvious, though it would have been a better guess than Pluto. I was also shouting Jupiter at the TV.

There were a couple other surprising TS, but I can't remember them right now.

I did awful in the Ireland category - it was kind of embarrassing.

• Love 1

I'm not liking Tara. Her sunburn story totally turned me off. Not because she was running around naked and apparently burned her boobs, hoohaw and ass, but because she didn't want to talk about it and acted all coy and modest. Honey, if you've sunburned those things in public, the modesty ship has sailed.

Irish Sweepstakes as a TS. *facepalm*

I noticed that no "Who is" on Annie Oakley, too. And the Luzon clue made little sense. I thought they wanted an island *not* in the Philippines.

• Love 4

After seeing the picture of Thomas Edison in a kids' level clue with Alex mentioning Menlo Park, I feel now that the Jeopardy writers need a break badly.  Who else was famous for living at Menlo Park?  Capt. von Trapp?   Now I don't begrudge the show taking a break for a few weeks if it means that the clues are better written and befit the show's level.  That category about My Little Pony the other day means that the writers have jumped the shark in creativity.  It was only a matter of time before there was a Jeopardy category called Things That Rhyme With Purple or Famous Women Mothers.

• Love 4

Alex was a little snippy when Tara said Pluto for the rings clue, remarking that it is no longer a planet but I believe it was when the rings were discovered - it was still wrong but he needn't have been snippy about it.

Yeah, I was like, "It was still a planet in 1979, you dick."

• Love 4
Bawahahaha! Famous Women Mothers! I love it!  "This mother ate an apple given to her by a serpent."  Maybe we could spend the hiatus writing our own clues?

Who is Eva Braun?  That would be a great idea to increase ratings:  Have the viewers submit categories and clues.  What fun could I have with Al Pacino Before and After!  Although I'd have to forgo Scarface because of the numerous F-bombs. Other categories with potential would be Pia Zadora Film Festival or Archaic Diseases Rhyme Time. What is curvy scurvy?  What is a neat gleet?  Man, I must write these ideas down before someone else beats me to them!

Oops, I forgot that Eva Braun didn't have children.  It was her cousin Carson McCullers Braun.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 4

I'm not liking Tara. Her sunburn story totally turned me off. Not because she was running around naked and apparently burned her boobs, hoohaw and ass, but because she didn't want to talk about it and acted all coy and modest. Honey, if you've sunburned those things in public, the modesty ship has sailed.

I was rooting for her because we share a first name. There aren't many people named Tara on Jeopardy, so I got ridiculously excited to see a Tara in the show.

Yes, those are the stupid types of things that make me cheer for a contestant. Thank goodness she didn't break any of my thousands of unspoken rules that make me dislike a contestant. If she had, I'd have had quite the dilemma.

• Love 3
Off topic, but I'm looking for a new home. I just saw a great one listed on South Carson Way. I immediately started laughing like a hyena.

You should definitely buy it.  The address alone would fill you with Jeopardy-inspired, ironic mirth year round--the gift that keeps on giving,  Address your envelopes with the full address.  Alex would want it that way.

• Love 2

That's not because you happen to be the Tara, is it biakbiakTara?

Alas, no. But I did learn that a lot of my friends and family watch given the texts and FB messages I received, informing me of her name.

• Love 3

Cremains is a thing, wish I didn't know that.

I was rooting for Tara because we share both a first and last name.

It's funny that you and I posted about her name at the same time. Taras unite!
  • Love 1

"The art of racing in the rain" was one of the books that got banned at the very upper class school system in my city. Isn't it about a sweet dog who narrates his last days?...

That's a wonderful book. There are two versions. The original "adult" version has salty language. There is also a children's version title "Racing in the Rain".

http://smile.amazon.com/Art-Racing-Rain-Garth-Stein-ebook/dp/B0017SWPXY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1438433285&sr=1-2&keywords=the+art

http://smile.amazon.com/Racing-Rain-Garth-Stein-ebook/dp/B004CFA9R8/ref=pd_sim_351_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ST8M861XGVZBHCYCDBX

Little help here.....what is a TS? Haven't been able to figure that one out....thanks in advance.

TS = Triple Stumper - no one answered it or answered it correctly.

Here's the Jeopardy! glossary:

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/25226-what-is-the-jeopardy-glossary/#entry1057115

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2

My problem with guessing at the rings was that it's the 1970s and since Jupiter is the biggest thing in the damn sky and we did have something in the way of telescopes by then, you would have though they'd have been noticed without flying a Volkswagon by it.  I picked Pluto too which is still a planet to me.

• Love 2

I thought Pluto was brought back into the fold this summer? It would have been after this episode was taped but I thought that was why they started taking pictures of it.

During Jeopardy! last night my son asked what the mnemonic was for the planets and I told him when they de-planetized poor Pluto it turned into a fragment - My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine...

• Love 3

My mnemonic (although I learned two, I really only use this one) is Maude Visits Each Monday Just Stays Until Noon Period.  So you can drop Pluto and still have a sentence--but I will probably still be saying Period fifty years from now!

• Love 2

There aren't many people named Tara on Jeopardy

Apparently, this thread has plenty of Taras. I even know a real-life Tara, if that counts.

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine...

Okay, I must know ... nine WHAT? I'm incredibly old since mnemonics weren't invented yet when I was in school. We had to just learn everything the hard way. Or not learn ...

The full address? You mean South Kit Carson Way?

Bwah! You guys crack me up. You MUST sign my yearbook.

• Love 1

I guess I'm really old, too since I never learned any of the mnemonics mentioned here.   I want to know Nine what, also.

I actually liked Tara's story because, for once, Alex didn't tell us how he had the same experience, but his was bigger, better, longer, more fulfilling, etc. etc.  Usually he has done everything at least once, as in the cow milking story.  Yes, I find him annoying, condescending and often rude.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4

It was pickles.

And here is another one, not that anyone asked, but I'm bored. King Philip Came Over For Green Stamps (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species.)

Nah, it's King Philip Came Over For Good Sex!

• Love 2

"Nine pizza pies" is what I learned. The double P always bugged me, but that's what it was. "Poor Pluto" works now, heh.

I thought Pluto was brought back into the fold this summer? It would have been after this episode was taped but I thought that was why they started taking pictures of it.

it should be called a "dwarf planet," according to [Neil deGrasse] Tyson and the International Astronomical Union, because its gravitational influence isn't strong enough to clear other objects out of the neighborhood of its orbit.--nbcnews.com

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to Tara starting off next season -  she reminded me a little of Julia's calm demeanor.  I would have saved the nude sunbathing for later on in my run...

Isn't that up to the show? The contestants give them several stories which the staff picks from?

Mr. Valentino Embroiders Muslin Jackets Sundays Until Noon - OR - Mr. Valentino Embroiders Muslin Jackets Sundays Unless Nobody Phones

Actually, I don't remember learning a mnemonic for the planets. Maybe I needed a mnemonic for the mnemonic. My guess for the planet was Neptune. I was thinking Jupiter, but for some reason Neptune jumped ahead in my mind.

I nearly aced the Stanley Tucci category, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the title "The Lovely Bones." I knew it was something about "nice" bones. And I was disappointed there wasn't a clue about Big Night. Also, for whoever wondered, it was Tara who said 'Julie and Julia,' and I'm pretty sure she said that, not 'Julia and Julia.'

I was surprised that Patton was a TS. Anyone who's seen the movie would know it was big deal when he slapped the soldier.

I didn't know Oscar de la Hoya was boxing's Golden Boy. But then, I don't know too much about the sport.

I also didn't know the phrase "ring up the curtain."

"Sunflowers die in November." OK. What the heck does that mean? I'll have to google.*

I, too, figure the editing for Alex's dubbing is why we heard Mags say "Annie Oakley."

I was kicking myself for not rememberig the Irish Sweepstakes. I'm not sure I ever knew it had to do with horse racing, but the phrase is certainly familiar.

Re the Limerick clue -- Yes, Alex, I picked up on the hint in the clue, but I thought it was asking for a town that has been used in famous limericks. Hence, even though I figured it was wrong, my guess was Nantucket.

I'm mad at myself for not getting Kevin Bacon. I was trying to figure out what song he was parodying, so I didn't pick up on the six "I know I guy's". Desperately, I settled on "I Lost On Jeopardy" and guessed Alex Trebek.

Mags reminded me of comedian/actor/writer Joe Mande, and Andy reminded me of Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary.

*ETA - 

Kansas Governor Alfred Landon emphasized his heartland roots during the 1936 election by adorning his campaign paraphernalia with bright yellow sunflowers. In response, opponent Franklin Roosevelt and his Democratic supporters went right for the kill, pointing out that “Sunflowers Die in November.” They were right; Landon won just two states. Kansas wasn’t one of them.
Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

They didn't just start taking pictures of it because they decided it's a planet again - the fly-by and detailed photography were planned years ago (I think Pluto was still a planet at the time) and they have said that depending on what these pictures show, they may consider re-classifying Pluto as a planet, but it's too early for that yet. It is still classified a dwarf planet.

Of course, in my mind it has always been a planet, and probably always will be!

• Love 2

I'm looking forward to Tara starting off next season -  she reminded me a little of Julia's calm demeanor.  I would have saved the nude sunbathing for later on in my run...

You never know if you're going to have a run....

• Love 1

At the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Greenbank, WV, they've got 9 flagpoles flying flags with a symbol of each of the planets.  When I was there, it was shortly after Pluto got demoted, and its flag was flying at half-mast.  I don't think anyone else on the tour bus "got" it, but I laughed heartily.

• Love 14

Nah, it's King Philip Came Over For Good Sex!

I was going to say, more people know what Good Sex is than have ever heard of Green Stamps. Then I thought, no, that's probably not true either. I guess I'll stick with the Green Stamps version.

And just so the double P doesn't irritate, just make it your educated mother served either "pizzas" or "pies," depending on your appetite at the moment. Problem solved!

• Love 4
And just so the double P doesn't irritate, just make it your educated mother served either "pizzas" or "pies," depending on your appetite at the moment. Problem solved!

Yes, but there was a song involved, so using just one of those words leaves me feeling like something's missing.

I missed quite a number of July's episodes due to vacation and activities, and now I am sick of the heat (well, more than usual) and wish I had new episodes to watch!

• Love 1