Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Every Good Boy... & FACE are the treble; bass is All Cows Eat Grass or All Cars Eat Gas.  (mnemonic made up before hybrids. LOL)

I always wanted a sentence to go with ROY G. BIV, like Ruthless Orangutans Yank Grapes, Blatantly Injuring Vines.

• Love 2

FJ was pretty easy ... once again.

Not for me.  I've never heard the song, and the whole six degrees aspect completely escaped me.  (And this from someone who can connect Kevin Bacon to D. W. Griffith!)  I will now go hang my head in shame.

• Love 3

I was surprised that Patton was a TS. Anyone who's seen the movie would know it was big deal when he slapped the soldier.

That surprised me too.  That was my dad's favorite movie, so I'll probably remember that scene long after I've forgotten my own name.

Edited to note that I must've gone to the most boring school ever, because we didn't have any songs for mnemonics.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Every Good Boy... & FACE are the treble; bass is All Cows Eat Grass or All Cars Eat Gas.  (mnemonic made up before hybrids. LOL)

I always wanted a sentence to go with ROY G. BIV, like Ruthless Orangutans Yank Grapes, Blatantly Injuring Vines.

I just found this sentence on Google:

Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain

I could probably remember that one very easily but it doesn't evoke the interesting image of ruthless orangutans yanking grapes.

• Love 2

"ROY G. BIV" -- colors of the rainbow

I could remember the actual colors themselves easier than ROY G. BIV. Who the heck can remember ROY G. BIV?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Here are a few more mnemonics I picked up along the way:

No Plan Like Yours To Study History Wisely for the royal houses of England--Northumber, Plantagenet, Lancaster, York, Tudor, Stewart, Hanover, Windsor.

Can Queen Victoria Eat Cold Apple Pie for the seven hills of Rome--Capitoline, Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, Aventine, Palatine.

Please My Dear Aunt Sally for order of operations in math--parentheses, multiply, divide, add, subtract.

There's also "Good Boys Do Fine Always" (in addition to "Every Good Boy...") in music, but I don't remember what it's for.

Great way to end the season! 

Who the heck can remember ROY G. BIV

Me!  Its one of the few things I remember from science class.

It is amazing how bad I am at FJ questions when watching repeats of tournaments.  I obviously know the answer because I heard it the first time but I always forget it on the repeat. 

There's also "Good Boys Do Fine Always" (in addition to "Every Good Boy...") in music, but I don't remember what it's for.

It's for the lines in the bass clef, whereas "every good boy..." is for the lines in treble clef.

I learned "Every good boy deserves fudge" and "Good boys deserve fudge always", but I think there are many variations.

Also, I know I learned a different one for the order of operations in math, but I can't remember it right now :(

HOMES for the Great Lakes: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior. Not in order, but easy to remember.

Try Super Man Helps Every One!  In order from west to east (left to right.)

I learned it Kings Play Chess On Fine Grain Sand.

I heard that as Kings Play Chess On Fine Glass Surfaces.  But the Good Sex one is more memorable!

Bones of the wrist are Never Lower Tillie's Pants, Mother May Come Home.  (Navicular, Lunate, Triquetrium, Pisiform, (Greater) Multangular, (Lesser) Multangular, Capitate, Hamate.)

• Love 1
HOMES for the Great Lakes: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior. Not in order, but easy to remember.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan, it does make them much easier to remember for us in the Magical Mitten.

Although there are T-shirts here that refer to Erie as only "pretty good". And Ontario is "that one that doesn't touch Michigan"

• Love 2

I know I didn't get Wellington the last time and I couldn't remember it last night either - just knew it was a city in NZ or Australia.  Yes, it was nice to see Julia back and I enjoyed seeing Terry again too.

• Love 1

I didn't see the original airing of this tournament so it's been enjoyable to watch.

Remember, a few pages back, where I said I was moving to a place on Carson Strret? I was urged to buy it and use the Jeopardy! approved name of Kit Carson Street. Well, that place didn't work out, but I found a much better place on Harvard Ave. to buy. I figure I'll be instantly smarter living at that address, no?

• Love 7

I honestly was going to give Arthur another chance yesterday and then he picked his first question and yep, hatred was back.

I will give him props for being the only one to get FJ yesterday.  I probably said this when it originally aired but honestly, if you make it to the semifinals of the TOC, you should know Proust.  Or at least the one line that everyone knows from Proust. 

• Love 1

Is it wrong that even though I knew Arthur made it through to the finals, that I was still disappointed Mark Japinga didn't win?  I really liked him, and I think he's a young man who is going to do very well with his life.  I would definitely like to see more of him on Jeopardy! or any other venue where he gets to show off his knowledge and what strikes me as a very classy personality.

• Love 1

I didn't see that episode first time around but I remember the discussion of FJ and Arthur's answer - however, I didn't remember it last night so I said Babette's Feast - I don't know if that's even a book.

Proust and French Literature in general are not in my wheelhouse.

• Love 1

I honestly was going to give Arthur another chance yesterday and then he picked his first question and yep, hatred was back.

It made me mad that Arthur gave the arty-farty title instead of the title everyone knows from reading it or studying it in college.

Yep, it didn't take long for the Chu hate to return. Last week's first round wasn't so bad, but last night he was back to being a smug, insufferable jerk.

• Love 2

Where my Boston-area people at? I can't believe we're starting Patriots pre-emption already! And why can't they just run Jeopardy on channel 38, like they'll do with Big Brother at 8? Some of us have routines!!

• Love 2

Yeah, the board hopping is the only thing I don't like about Arthur. Especially since I've been reading his writing!  (But this is what I meant when I hated that champ last month and realized how other people feel about other contestants! Everything he did made me hate him more and more.)

I just don't understand all the Arthur hatred.

Lots of contestants jump around the board and that is ok, but he does it and he's an awful arrogant devil.

He's smart and I find him very interesting and with a good sense of humor.

Actually, compared to that sour and smug Andrew Moore, Arthur is downright charming.

• Love 1

I opened an account because I needed to say this.....wouldn't 1960 have been a correct answer for tonight's final jeopardy as well? (Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Cabot)?

No, because Nixon was the incumbent Vice President, and the question was, "In this year, there were no Presidents or Vice Presidents running, but 3 of the 4 men on the 2 major party ballots would become President."

(To be fair, I had to look it up. :) )

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 3

Arthur looked really nervous tonight.  Probably because he was next to Julia, who is everyone's favorite.  But his FJ wager was dumb.

I remember when this was on the first time, I was rooting for Ben (to minimize all the love/hate that I presumed would be the outcome if either Julia or Arthur won.

No, because Nixon was the incumbent Vice President, and the question was, "In this year, there were no Presidents or Vice Presidents running, but 3 of the 4 men on the 2 major party ballots would become President."

(To be fair, I had to look it up. :) )

Since I looked it up too, wouldn't 1920 also be technically incorrect? One of the men running in the Republican primary was a President (of Columbia University, but still a President). Or did they add the qualifications of President of the United States and running in the general election?

Since I looked it up too, wouldn't 1920 also be technically incorrect? One of the men running in the Republican primary was a President (of Columbia University, but still a President). Or did they add the qualifications of President of the United States and running in the general election?

I think that would be stretching things a leetle too far...

• Love 4

I just don't understand all the Arthur hatred.

Lots of contestants jump around the board and that is ok, but he does it and he's an awful arrogant devil.

He's smart and I find him very interesting and with a good sense of humor.

Actually, compared to that sour and smug Andrew Moore, Arthur is downright charming.

The board hopping was annoying but I believe  it was his self promotion and claiming to have invented the board hopping technique that really brought on the Arthur hatred.

• Love 4

I don't recall the exact wording, but they did mention that there were 4 men on the ballot, which seems to make it pretty clear that they meant the general election and a guy running in the primaries who didn't actually end up on the ballot wouldn't count.

And it seemed pretty clear that they meant POTUS, not president of anything.

• Love 2

Today I played the home version of Jeopardy on my Kindle motivated out of Jeopardy withdrawal. One of the categories was "Females, Women, and Ladies." The writers probably wrote it this way as to eliminate any doubts about the gender of the answers. Let's be thankful it wasn't titled "Dames, Broads, and Skirts!"

• Love 4

I think the problem so many have with board jumping is that the answers (are suppose to) get progressively harder as the money value increases, plus staying in one category keeps a viewer's brain in the same "slot" to make it easier to come up with the answer.

Which is probably the reason players jump around, to throw the competition off their games. What do they care if viewers get snarky about it since the player jumping is the one who is (hopefully) going home with the big bucks.

I'll cut board jumpers slack if they call out one word from a multi-word category, and leave "dollars" and "please" off of their request. Short cutters are my favorite contestants!

• Love 2
Can anyone explain what was going on in the 1920 election that no incumbants were running?  I am so lost with any history questions.  Good on Ben for figuring it out...

Wikipedia is your best friend -- long story short, Woodrow Wilson's failing health and lack of party support didn't even formally get him on the ballot at the Democratic National convention, and the same went for his VP Thomas Marshall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_Democratic_National_Convention

So glad Ben won. He was very gracious, thanking his competitors and giving them applause. I think Julia would have done a lot better if she hadn't been a bit under the weather. The icing on the cake was the Smug Blogger not winning.

• Love 3

So glad Ben won. He was very gracious, thanking his competitors and giving them applause.

Yes to this. He demonstrated grace and good sportsmanship. I hope he would have been as gracious if he had lost! In any case, he was a good role model with his win.

Arthur didn't (or, doesn't) bother me. I missed his long run on the show, don't have a clue how many games he won, dollar amount, anything about him. So I watched him without prejudice. And since I watched this series with only one eye while I continued to work, I still don't have any complaints about him. I know: Color me unique!

Yes to this. He demonstrated grace and good sportsmanship. I hope he would have been as gracious if he had lost! In any case, he was a good role model with his win.

Arthur didn't (or, doesn't) bother me. I missed his long run on the show, don't have a clue how many games he won, dollar amount, anything about him. So I watched him without prejudice. And since I watched this series with only one eye while I continued to work, I still don't have any complaints about him. I know: Color me unique!

Arthur just strikes me as a very serious young man.  He moves along quickly and I liked him.  I might agree that he has no charisma, but I never saw the arrogance people talked about.  And I saw him clap plenty of times for other contestants (not something that's important to me, anyway, it's all show).  He won 11 games in his original run.  I don't remember how much money he won, though.

• Love 2

Arthur also immediately turned to Ben to congratulate him though Ben was already walking toward Alex as they are taught to do.

That's right! I did see that, but time didn't allow for it, Ben was already being prompted "Get to Alex" for the closing. Didn't Arthur and Julia win $$ for their second and third place finishes?

I don't get the Arthur dislike, but then again, I'm a big fan of Alex Jacob and am looking forward to when he gets to compete on Tournament. He board hops too!

• Love 1