Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I had absolutely no clue for FJ and I'd never heard of the author, so I had no chance at getting it. My guess was "the guy who wrote Les Miserables" - I had a very long day and was totally blanking on his name :P

I said Flaubert, which embarrasses me since a friend and I have an inside joke about Emile Zola - there was an Italian soccer player (now club manager) named Gianfranco Zola, and I always shouted "Emile!" every time I saw him on the pitch.  So, between that, and actually knowing something about the Dreyfuss Affair and Zola's "J'accuse" letter, I really should've gotten this FJ.

Edited by proserpina65

I love that my first thought watching the intros was "Oh, man, I've got to hurry through this so I can see what the forums said about this [contestant]". *

Unfortunately, she got worse and worse. And more of her today. Oh, joy.

* Edited for politeness

• Love 8

Wow...so annoying and yet Alex was apparently enchanted.  I would call her a "look at me" girl.  I think she missed her turn to the Wheel of Fortune studio.  I was fortunate enough to have a Jeopardy! audition a couple of years ago and they encouraged you to be animated and "not so serious", reminding us that "it's just a game". But I can tell you that of the 30 of us in that room, no one acted like that.  Of course, I didn't get the call to LA so maybe I should have :) I was also annoyed when she pulled out the drumsticks because she stole my "schtick".  I took with me to the audition, a "good luck" guitar pick from my favorite band, "Chicago" and thinking it all the more serendipitous since they had me go to Chicago for my audition. I planned on having it with me if I should get the call to LA.  Ahhh, the difference between a "look at me" girl and us regular folk...she had drumsticks IN A HOLSTER and I had an unobtrusive guitar pick.

• Love 2

I spent the whole episode torn between finding Jennifer endearing and refreshing, and wanting one of the other contestants to punch her in the face. I feel like I would enjoy her antics more if Alex didn't, because watching Alex pretend to not hate a contestant is always fun.

• Love 7

The people running my audition were just about that hyper, and encouraging us to be as well, so maybe they're trying to get more Jennifers for ratings purposes. I think it could backfire, though.  

• Love 1

It's hysterical that so many contestants are so polarizing!

Personally, I liked Jennifer, but I can see how she could annoy many people.

It was nice to see an easy-going fun-filled game, and no one really seemed to take themselves too seriously.

I think they all were having a good time.

*disclaimer: I could never spend a lot of one-on-one time with her, though.

Edited for: spend with a d, not spent with a t

I thought to myself that she wasn't really bothering me, but I just knew she'd get the board going! In my defense, I had not been allowed to consume alcohol for the past 10 days due to a medication I had to take, and yesterday was the first day I could enjoy my traditional adult beverage during Jeopardy. I think my mood was light, so I gave her a bit of a pass. I'll probably hate her tonight.

My only real issue with her yesterday was that her antics meant some clues didn't get revealed, and I hate when that happens.

As I read everyone's posts about her, I found myself agreeing with all of you, whether you liked her or not. How is that possible?

• Love 4
(edited)
As I read everyone's posts about her, I found myself agreeing with all of you, whether you liked her or not. How is that possible?

Because she is that rare breed of human who is somehow both adorably quirky and fucking annoying, so it is possible to agree with arguments for both sides. I'm genuinely not sure if I'm looking forward to her second appearance tonight or dreading it.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 5

Alex's encouragement of this champion is almost as annoying as she is. "Practice your moves over the weekend!" Really, Alex?

When does this season end and why is it so hard to find out this bit of information? I spent 30 minutes googling and didn't even come close to finding out a definitive answer. Sorry if off-topic, none of the other Jeopardy! topics seem appropriate for the question.

• Love 4
(edited)
When does this season end and why is it so hard to find out this bit of information? I spent 30 minutes googling and didn't even come close to finding out a definitive answer. Sorry if off-topic, none of the other Jeopardy! topics seem appropriate for the question.

I seem to recall from last year that Jeopardy usually shows re-runs of the various tournaments throughout August and early Sept.

Alex's encouragement of this champion is almost as annoying as she is. "Practice your moves over the weekend!" Really, Alex?

She may be a little quirky, but I was impressed by her pulling out the correct answer in FJ -- I had no clue.

Those DDs in the DJ round were pretty easy -- Jimmy Hoffa, come on.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
(edited)

When does this season end and why is it so hard to find out this bit of information? I spent 30 minutes googling and didn't even come close to finding out a definitive answer.

Per the opening post in this thread, the season ends July 31.  And, as ottoDbusdriver said, they show tournament reruns for about six weeks until the new season starts.

I would like to know when the next ToC is going to be - it's been a very long time since we had one.  Mostly because of the Decades Tournament this year. I believe.

I said soliloquy instead of monologue in the Bishop category.  Would that have been acceptable?

Jennifer really toned it down today.  And she certainly deserved the win.  I had liked the guy in the middle but "Scopes"? Really?  I also came up with Lizzie Borden but didn't think it was correct.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe how easy the DD's have been lately. 

And really, she couldn't be bothered to add the Susan B.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 5
(edited)

Alex should have asked her to be more specific on the answer.  For all we know, "Anthony" could have been Marc Ant(h)ony or notorious child killer, Casey Anthony.

Jennifer really toned it down today.

She found a pharmacy to refill her Adderall?

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 5

Son of an effing bitch! I can't believe that hideously annoying pretentious s****** she-crab (thanks Miss Chevious) won again. My blinding hate for her took me totally out of the game. Wish I had some bourbon to ease the pain. I may not be able to watch until she's gone and the Jeopardy! set has been cleansed with an exorcism.

I answered Lizzie Borden for FJ.

• Love 6

I would never have come up with Susan B! I first thought of Lizzie (because it's almost always her!) but got caught up in when she would not have been a woman, and imagined it was an age thing. THEN I tried to recall anyone who crossdressed and wound up in court. Still, I would never have guessed "Scopes".

I said soliloquy instead of monologue in the Bishop category.  Would that have been acceptable?

I did the same. I'm going to assume we were correct.

Jennifer didn't bug quite as much tonight, but her story revealed that the "quirkiness" has been encouraged from a young age. I WAS surprised Alex hadn;t managed to add a DJ category "Songs by Rush".

• Love 3

her story revealed that the "quirkiness" has been encouraged from a young age.

I had the same thought. Now I hate her parents, too.

I literally averted my eyes every time she was on screen, but I glimpsed enough to wonder if she was wearing the same blouse she had on yesterday? Just without whatever she wore over it?

• Love 3

I think the judges were lazy on that one too. Anthony isn't that unique a name. 

I guessed Lizzie Borden too.

The "all right" lady was getting on my nerves a bit, too.

Honestly that bugged me more than Jennifer.

Perky for perky's sake makes me nearly homicidal, but Jennifer's is backed up with good knowledge so I'm fine with her. Also, I've apparently met her in real life - she looks really familiar so I asked a friend who said we have mutual friends but I just can't place her.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really wanted Lawrence to win. I liked how calm he was and he nearly always gave the full name.

Jennifer irritates me so much but I am impressed with how broad her knowledge base is. I can't wait for her to lose, though. The last thing I want is to see her again on tournament of champions.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 4

I found "all right" lady a million times more annoying than Jennifer. If she had won tonight, I would probably have had to quit watching until she was gone.

My husband is a HUGE Rush fan (we have tix to see them next week...) and he practically jumped off the couch when Jennifer started talking about them yesterday. She is a bit of a kook (to quote one of the palindrome answers) but I find her kind of endearing.

• Love 3
(edited)

Monologue, Soliloquy, & Aside are all examples of "one person speaking," but there are slight differences.

Monologue = A character speaking (usually a rather lengthy speech) to the other characters in the scene.

Soliloquy = A character talking to himself, essentially "thinking out loud."  After all, Hamlet standing there on stage thinking about whether "To Be, or Not To Be" would be pretty boring!  He has to voice it.

Aside = A character breaking the 4th wall and voicing a private thought directly to the audience.  If other characters are present, they cannot "hear" and aside.  Think Ferris Bueller ("If YOU had a car like this, would you take it back right away?!")  Or Bugs Bunny ("I knew I shoulda turned left at Albu-koi-kee!")

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 5
(edited)

I understand how her ostentatiousness could turn serious fans of the game off, but you're looking at 1000s of teenage Rush fans's dream girl right there.  I read another board where the talk is more music oriented and they were all "Wow, I never knew there were any female Rush fans!"  (Rush may have been surprised themselves.)  I was never a Rush fan but once was a teenaged boy so I'll give her a pass.  Besides, she ran that category of bloody easy foreign film directors.

What can I say, I liked the alright lady, too.  I'd have a hard time suppressing that myself.

Edited by Totale

I'm far from a teenager, but I am definitely female and I love Rush. And no, I'm not Canadian.

My siblings and I all love Rush. So they've got some black fans in the states as well.

I agree that the contestant who kept saying "all right" was more annoying than Jennifer, who is also annoying. I don't think I noticed it during her first game since I was a bit tipsy, but Jennifer is a board jumper too. I hate board jumpers.

• Love 5

So glad the "all right" woman is gone. I can't fathom that her friends/family haven't brought that to her attention. Gah that was annoying. She did it everytime.

• Love 2

I'm far from a teenager, but I am definitely female and I love Rush. And no, I'm not Canadian.

Jennifer is not that unusual. Because my husband is such a big classic/progressive rock fan, I've been to a lot of concerts with him (in return, he goes with me to see my favorite bands). I judge the female fan quotient at shows by the length of the line to the women's room. At Rush gigs the lines are pretty equal. Their fan base is quite diverse in regard to age and race too. Now, if a female King Crimson superfan showed up on Jeopardy!, THEN I'd be surprised.

• Love 1

I spent the whole episode torn between finding Jennifer endearing and refreshing, and wanting one of the other contestants to punch her in the face. I feel like I would enjoy her antics more if Alex didn't, because watching Alex pretend to not hate a contestant is always fun.

I wasn't torn.  I had only your second desire.  In fact, I said those exact words to my husband:  "I'm hoping any minute now Lawrence turns around and punches her in the face."  I would've sent money for his defense fund.

• Love 5

I'm in the minority, Jennifer doesn't bother me in the least. I find her exuberance to be genuine and thus I give her a pass, but I can definitely see why some (most) find her irritating. Now, if "all right" woman had won, I don't think I could have watched her again. GAH, how annoying. There was a guy a few years ago who tacked "Alex" onto the end of everything he said, which I found outrageously irritating, and she reminded me of him. It struck me as a nervous thing that she might not have even been aware she was doing, but it was still the verbal equivalent of nails on a chalkboard for me. 

• Love 6

Jennifer is not that unusual. Because my husband is such a big classic/progressive rock fan, I've been to a lot of concerts with him (in return, he goes with me to see my favorite bands). I judge the female fan quotient at shows by the length of the line to the women's room. At Rush gigs the lines are pretty equal.

A possible metric, but skewed by women like yourself and my wife (who has seen Peter Hammill twice on two continents, plus Van Der Graaf Generator, The Residents and Magma) who willingly go along and enjoy themselves, and then drag their husbands along to their favorites (Richard Thompson in my wife's case, I think he's great, too, but I started to flag the fifth or sixth time out).  Maybe the line at the merch booth would be a more accurate one.

Sub-Saharan was a ridiculously easy DD.

I am awful with poetry and had no idea for FJ, but I'm glad we got a new champ! Though his swaying from side to side was mildly irritating, I didn't notice it as much as the game went on.

• Love 3

I have to say, though, all I could come up with for FJ was "that guy who wrote The Wasteland".

Me too.  Unfortunately, I thought it was Sandburg.

• Love 1

Glory, Glory Hallelujah and Ding, Dong the Witch is Gone! I wanted to reach through the screen and give Scott a kiss that would knock his socks off. Who's dancing now, you freak?

I got the TS's The Sun Also Rises and Felicity Huffman. That sub-Saharan DD should have been in a Kid's Tournament.

Why does anyone on the staff at Jeopardy! think that the engagement and/or wedding stories of the contestants are interesting? I find them lame and mostly cringe-worthy.

I was totally clueless on FJ.

• Love 12

Maybe it's an English-major thing, but I thought FJ was really easy, especially considering that they spotted us half the poem's title in the translated word "waste" and specified "American-born" rather than just "American," which is a clue that whoever wrote it probably didn't stay American throughout his life.  So to me Whitman wasn't a good guess--especially for an editorial assistant.

And also:  Yay.

• Love 5
(edited)

I missed Friday’s episode due to preemption by local news.  So tonight was only my second exposure to Jennifer, but she still doesn’t bother me.  I did laugh, though, at the interview segment (which I rarely watch), when Alex clearly cut her off.

Bohemian Rhapsody as a sporting event anthem?  For what, all of halftime?

I don’t often laugh when Alex tries to be funny, but “a jigger of rum” as an acceptable substitute for pacifier did it.

Persecution was a surprising TS.  Same with Felicity Huffman, just because I’ve never seen Desperate Housewives yet knew it.  I had no idea Jane Pauley was married to Garry Trudeau, though.

I found the Bill of Rights category overvalued for DJ, but as a civil rights lawyer, my perspective may be skewed.  But the sub-saharan DD?

I had no earthly idea on FJ.  Every once in a while I surprise myself with poetry knowledge, but for the most part is a grossly weak area.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

I was on vacation last week so didn't see Jennifer until tonight. When the camera was on her and she was dancing, I actually said out loud, "What the hell?" How many days was she on? Did she always dance?

I was an English major, but that doesn't guarantee that I always get literature questions correct. I did in this case with FJ. Seemed easy. Likewise, The Sun Also Rises was easy, perhaps even easier. I mean, come on. A novel in the 20's about bullfighting?

I, too, liked Alex's little "jigger of rum" comment.

I liked The Way of the Dodo category. Very interesting and different.

• Love 6

This. And it wasn't a desperate guess either; she just knew she had that right. Oy.

I got the Garry Trudeau TS because when I was a kid my Dad loved Doonesbury but I was too young to get it, which made it mysterious and super cool to me. Jane Pauley gained major cool points with me when I found out she was married to the guy who wrote Doonesbury. "The Sun Also Rises" is my favorite Hemingway so I was happy to see that one too.

Glory, Glory Hallelujah and Ding, Dong the Witch is Gone! I wanted to reach through the screen and give Scott a kiss that would knock his socks off.

My first thought when Jennifer lost was how relieved so many people on this board would be, especially you CarpeDiem54!

• Love 5
I was on vacation last week so didn't see Jennifer until tonight. When the camera was on her and she was dancing, I actually said out loud, "What the hell?" How many days was she on? Did she always dance?

She was a two-day champion; thankfully that streak ended.  Jennifer regaled us with her over-the-top feats of narcissism--dancing being a part--setting my teeth on edge.  She was the human equivalent of someone scraping their nails on a chalkboard.  I never thought that anybody would make me appreciate Arthur Chu.

• Love 8

I was very sorry to see no one seemed to know Margo Martindale or Justified.  I hope they just couldn't call the name of the show (which ended only a few months ago) because the thought of someone never seeing an episode of Justified is as sad to me as someone never watching a single Law & Order episode.  Her Mags Bennett was nothing short of amazing - she was the reason to watch the 2nd season.

Absolutely. I didn't start watching Justified when it first started, but I'd still occasionally read a Sepinwall recap that caught my eye. I finally signed up with Amazon Prime just so I could catch up on the show. Mags was an amazing, memorable character (in a show full of amazing and memorable characters). Anyway, back on topic -- It didn't look to me like any of the three contestants had a clue what the show was. Their loss.

• Love 1

I knew the woman on the end had an unintentionally funny answer for something; I had forgotten what it was, but this was it.

One of the TS's I got was Thomas Merton in the Trappist Monk category - I was proud of getting that one.

• Love 1

I just hope that now that her show's have aired, we don't get lots of contestants acting silly during the introductions.  The show better stop that from happening.

I know that the production assistants tell the contestants to act natural and smile a lot. But I'm glad I won't be subjected to the sideways shenanigans of the s****** she-crab Jennifer any longer. I guess that was her natural. The new champ sure knew his Bill of Rights. 

• Love 4