Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 10/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, ginger90 said:

Grandson was born this morning. 😁 6lbs 13oz 19” long and so adorable, really , he is so adorable! Daughter and grandson are doing great. 

Belated congratulations! I don't get a chance to catch up here as much as I used to lately. So glad to hear everything went well, and I'm sure he is the cutest baby ever! Grandchildren always are!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Thanks, all.  I'm still struggling most days, but I really think it's more related to my POTS as opposed to Covid.  Mr. Six is doing great and seems to have no lasting effects.

I also have a strange question to ask.  Our next door neighbor is moving next week.  We really like her and have enjoyed having her next door.  I wanted to get her a gift to let her know how much she'll be missed, but I didn't want something that would just take up space.  I was thinking about a gift card to a gas station since it's useful and won't take up space.  What are some popular gas stations along the east coast?  She'll be driving by herself (and two cats) from Baltimore to Florida along I-95.  Thanks!!

• Love 6

I live on the east coast and I think Exxon/Mobil Gas cards would be good.  If she is planning to drive on the highways most ofvthe time, I think that would be a good choice.

In other extremely important Prayer Closet news, I was browsing through my email and I saw that there was a BIG sale at Talbots— online only—until 11:59pm tonight in whatever time zone you are in.  I’m hoping to buy a few things, but I may have to go out to my car to do it.  My power has been out since about 5:50pm; power company says it may be up and running by 9pm.  I’m wondering if this is a “memorial “ power outage for the 10th anniversary of Superstorm Sandy.  We were without power for 13 days, 3 hours and 15 minutes for that disaster.  
I did however, consider myself lucky that we just had wind and rain, but no flooding. We had a party the first night in the lobby of my apartment building.  Everyone bought something to share like ice cream or other perishable things.  We had a young couple living in our building who were from Minnesota.  They had never been through a hurricane, do Ben kept running out to take pictures.  After the novelty wore off, he finally stayed in where it was safe.  I did put on my teacher voice and threatened to call his mother….

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 10/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, ChristmasCandy said:

With a heavy heart I have to give up this community because even going incognito the only ad I have gotten no matter what website I am on is Blobs Branson theater 😭

Install AdBlock. Free and I get zero ads on this site when I browse it on my laptop. Unless you are using a phone or tablet--then I have no suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, sixlets said:

Thanks, all.  I'm still struggling most days, but I really think it's more related to my POTS as opposed to Covid.  Mr. Six is doing great and seems to have no lasting effects.

I also have a strange question to ask.  Our next door neighbor is moving next week.  We really like her and have enjoyed having her next door.  I wanted to get her a gift to let her know how much she'll be missed, but I didn't want something that would just take up space.  I was thinking about a gift card to a gas station since it's useful and won't take up space.  What are some popular gas stations along the east coast?  She'll be driving by herself (and two cats) from Baltimore to Florida along I-95.  Thanks!!

Just give her $ or a visa gift card. 

• Like 6

Quoting @oliviabenson and @Zella  and @BigBingerBro from the Jill thread.

Yeah the average US woman is 5'4". Just for me personally as someone who is 5'4", when women are about 5'7" I consider that on the tall side. 

@Zella to me if the average is 5'4, I would consider 5'4 to 5'7ish average, with women being taller than that "tall", its rare to be an adult under 5ft unless you have some type of dwarfism, yet there are a lot of women who are 5'10 or so (just like there are a lot who are  5ft even)

I’m 5’6 and consider myself short

@oliviabenson I am 5'7 and while I wouldnt consider myself short by any means, I wouldnt describe myself as "tall"- also it depends on where you live, your social group and who you are hanging around. My sister and BFF are 5'9, my Mom is 5'8 (she is starting to shrink), and my sister's caregiver is 5'10. So I rarely feel "tall"  compared to the people I interact with on a regular basis. 

Being tall isn't all that it's cracked up to be.  I'm 6'2" and wish I were shorter as the world is not designed for tall people.  North America is better than most in this respect.  Constantly being told I should play basketball when I absolutely hated sports was beyond annoying.  Just saying.

@BigBingerBro I know a fair number of men around 6'2 and I wouldnt suggest any of them play basketball. (that is so annoying!),  I wouldn't consider that "basketball tall", at least not in the United States. I could see that being an inconvenience depending on where you are in the world, especially on planes and things like that. 

Let's go objective on the height.  A woman who is 5'7" in the US is taller than 89 out of 100 US women.  That would be tall.  5'5.5" is close to the 75th percentile so would probably be close to the statistical break point for tall.  4'11" is the 5th percentile of height so 5 out of 100 women are shorter than 4'11".   I'll go away now.  :)  

• Useful 6
  • Love 10
38 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Let's go objective on the height.  A woman who is 5'7" in the US is taller than 89 out of 100 US women.  That would be tall.  5'5.5" is close to the 75th percentile so would probably be close to the statistical break point for tall.  4'11" is the 5th percentile of height so 5 out of 100 women are shorter than 4'11".   I'll go away now.  :)  

I like stats lol! So what's the percentile for 5'4" (for women)?

• Love 1

There never has been a question about me being short. I’m 4’9” and have no type of dwarfism (I am perfectly proportioned). Technically I do qualify as one due to my short stature. Most people are tall to me. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Absolom said:

That’s a good way to look at it! No need to go away🥰.

11 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I like stats lol! So what's the percentile for 5'4" (for women)?

I like the stats too. 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

There never has been a question about me being short. I’m 4’9” and have no type of dwarfism (I am perfectly proportioned). Technically I do qualify as one due to my short stature. Most people are tall to me. 

I was just thinking about this the other day, at a grocery store we used to go to quite frequently. One of the cashiers there (who has been there forever) is also probably about 4' 8" or 9" tops. Also perfectly proportioned, just really tiny. 

I am 5' 3", and have always thought of myself as short to average. Most people seem to think I look taller. When we were stationed in Guam and Hawaii, there was a high Asian population, so I generally felt on the tall side, which was new & different!

• Like 5

Where I live, there is a large population from Central America. So, it amazes me that my 5'3" self, towers over some of these ladies. It's also an interesting study in clothing sizes. Although some of the ladies may be as fat as me, I'm in the plus sizes but they are in the regular sizes because their body frames are so small.

• Like 4

Does anyone have any tips to remove the strong fragrance of fabric softener from clothing?  I recently received some gently used items from a friend, that I really like, but they have a strong odor.  I have soaked them, rinsed and washed them several times.  Man, I can’t image how anyone could tolerate it.  I am quite sensitive and allergic, so I use scent free detergent.  

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any tips to remove the strong fragrance of fabric softener from clothing?  I recently received some gently used items from a friend, that I really like, but they have a strong odor.  I have soaked them, rinsed and washed them several times.  Man, I can’t image how anyone could tolerate it.  I am quite sensitive and allergic, so I use scent free detergent.  

Maybe wash them again with one cup of baking soda in place of your normal detergent and use vinegar in the rinse. If you can hang them outside in the sun.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Fabric softener fragrance eventually fades.  The more air the better especially if the vinegar, baking soda, etc. don't work.  The person may have used one of the long lasting scent rinses and if so it will take some time.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Thanks for the tips.  Is it ok to put baking soda and vinegar in a front loader washer?  I don’t really have anywhere to hang them outside, but I’ll see what I can arrange.  I’m just amazed that anything would remain that strong on fabric.  I wonder how healthy that is.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks for the tips.  Is it ok to put baking soda and vinegar in a front loader washer?  

I have a top loader. I put the baking soda in as I would my regular detergent.  I put the vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. I have never used a front loader so not sure how they are set up. You may want to soak a hand towel in vinegar ( just dsmp) and put it in the dryer when you dry your clothes. They will not smell like vinegar when you take them out.  I hope this works. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My husband is sensitive like that. We have to take our king-size bedspread to the laundromat to have it washed. The last time, the staff there used scented fabric softener and he couldn't stand it. He took it back and they rewashed it with fragrance free at no charge, but it still bothered him. So we bought a new one that we like better. We'll just have to be more careful with our instructions in the future. I hope you can get the items scent free so you can enjoy them!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

It took me years to figure out how sensitive I am.  My dad is the same way.  He had chronic cough, sinus issues, sneezing,  etc.  for years, when I suggested my mom switch to fragrance fee detergent and fabric sheets.  His symptoms went away!  To me, that strong odor is so unpleasant.  I can’t fathom it.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5

Happy Halloween to everyone who celebrates. Halloween is my most favorite holiday (I was due on Halloween😃). I will be taking photos of Cosmo, Cavendish and Lady Reese after work and posting them both here and in the Pet thread because I am extra like that. 

I haven't gone to a big night time adult party in a few years, next year I am determined to do so and I want to be a peacock (a costume idea I have been saving for a fabulous party). Last night I carved pumpkins with my bff and god daughter (she is almost 8, she doesn't carve but likes to watch us, she colored something and made critiques).

BB-8 and the Rebel Alliance symbol for non Star Wars peeps. I had so much going on and  had to take care of my sister during the day, so I didnt want to do anything complicated. The year I did Dobby I took FOREVER (so many tiny lines). 

IMG_7109.jpeg

IMG_7114.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 11

For fabric softener odor, or other perfumes in fabrics, I've had good luck using odor catchers.  You can get charcoal ones from places like Amazon.  You then pop them in a plastic bag with the smelly fabric and let it sit in the sun.  This "sweats" the residual moisture out of the fabric and the odor catcher grabs it along with the perfume.  Kitty litter that is pure clay, unscented, and non clumping also works for this purpose.  I belong to an online book swap and also use this method if I get a smelly book.

For particularly "stuck" scents it takes several treatments with changing out the odor catchers.  The charcoal ones will have instructions on how to rehab them to be able to use them again, the kitty litter you just change out.

Unscented Fabreze in between sun treatments can also help.

• Useful 8
Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

I'd be injured if I tried to put anything on my cats! 😂

Yours are festive! 

I had a little dinosaur for Lady Reese, but she was NOT having it, so I used the candy corn Blake wore last year. She was the least interested participant. Cavendish didnt like it, but he wasnt too upset with me.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I had a little dinosaur for Lady Reese, but she was NOT having it, so I used the candy corn Blake wore last year. She was the least interested participant. Cavendish didnt like it, but he wasnt too upset with me.

All three of your furbabies are so cute. Congrats on finding something Lady Reese would tolerate. And thanks for sharing the pics. Happy Halloween! I hope you have a fun evening!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

All three are so cute and Cosmo always has the most wonderful smile! Great job with your fur babies💖

• Like 2
  • Love 4

checking in briefly to say hi. been sick since last monday...GAH!   2 negative covid tests tho.  was told today its probably RSV adult style (not cool with lung disease already a factor).  its been hell.  never coughed so much in my life.  off to the ENT per the instructions for the ER and pulmonologist this afternoon. blocked eustachian tubes hurt!

• Hugs 24
12 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Hey @CalicoKitty, are you getting snow? We got a good soaking this morning, right on time for the start of rainy season. 

We are getting rain and very high wind right now.  It looks like it is snowing in the mountains--they are totally blocked out by the storm.  They predicted measurable snow in the mountains today/tonight, but I will not be surprised if we have snow on the ground here tomorrow.  We are under a wind restriction today, but I haven't heard if it has been extended.  It is really howling outside.  I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.  I'm glad you had rain today.  We need all we can get!!

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

I had my 6 week check up with my gyno today, to get the pathology report and to see how I'm healing. Surgery was rough, it was longer than expected due to severe scar tissue and endometriosis on my right fallopian tube and ovaries. The pathology report stated that I had a Granulosa Cell Tumor that is malignant.  My gyno is referring me to the department of oncology at McMaster University down in Hamilton,ON.  Their oncology gynocologists come up to our hospital every week to see patients in our area. So, I'm waiting to hear from them, and either do a video call or see them next time they are in town to get their opinion and to see if anything else should be done. 

that sounds scary. i looked it up as i have not heard that term before. did they give you a  stage? Bless you, friend. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

on my own topic, i turned the corner overnight and feel so much better today. not nearly 100% but was able to get dressed and sew the shams for the quilt that i made (they have been delayed almost two weeks already!). i am concerned about the fluid that wont release from my eustacian tube but the doctor assured me that if its not cleared by mid month, i get to have my eardrum lanced and they will happily drain my ear for me at great pain (no joke -- she did say it really hurts even with numbing).  i still have days of antibiotics and cortico-steriods ahead of me so sleep will remain a precious commodity. 

as  for those shams.....the whole quilt set is done!!!!!!! it turned out more of a king size after all. i packed it in a box just now and will see it off tomorrow to be shipped to my brother. i am going to run up a few quilted hearts out of the scraps so they can distribute since they are avid hikers with their dog out on the trails where they live. such a relief!!!

• Hugs 4
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, zoomama said:

that sounds scary. i looked it up as i have not heard that term before. did they give you a  stage? Bless you, friend. 

No my gyno didn't give me a stage. And to be honest, I didn't even think to ask. And I feel stupid for not asking questions. But I was stunned and didn't ask much really. He did tell me that it's rare. I will ask the oncologist when I see him. I'm sure I will have a list of questions by then. I do know that stages 2 to 4 have spread to other parts of the body, from my own reading about it. So hopefully it was caught in time. Now I'm so glad that I decided on the hysterectomy.  

• Hugs 11
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Spazamanaz said:

No my gyno didn't give me a stage. And to be honest, I didn't even think to ask. And I feel stupid for not asking questions. But I was stunned and didn't ask much really. He did tell me that it's rare. I will ask the oncologist when I see him. I'm sure I will have a list of questions by then. I do know that stages 2 to 4 have spread to other parts of the body, from my own reading about it. So hopefully it was caught in time. Now I'm so glad that I decided on the hysterectomy.  

I’m sorry you’re going through this, but I’m glad you’re getting care. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

ok friends, i am going to try to attach a picture of my quilt...not sure i know how but wait and see....omg!!!   it might have worked!!!!!    their last name starts with 'h' thus the applique. ETA: not my house, by the way. a neighbors...

313925781_469827725246410_1948262335331613481_n (1).jpg

313747498_1119020958725597_6316382159226637357_n.jpg

What a BEAUTIFUL quilt. You’re so talented. I’d love to get such a special handcrafted gift. 

How long did this take?

• Love 5