Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Thinking of you and your family, @lookeyloo. Hugs!

We're gradually getting ready to host Thanksgiving. It helps to be retired, because all the bedmaking and vacuuming and dusting and food shopping etc. wears us out! Today we washed all the china and silver and brought in the two extra tables we'll need. I looked at paper cloths for the extra tables and decided not to spend the money when an inevitable spill could ruin it, so I got out 2 very 40-50s tablecloths. I can't remember where I got them, but they are very vintage looking. I washed and ironed them for the big day. Tomorrow we cook some of the sides. We'll have all of our kids and grandkids here and I can't wait! I picked up a new CandyLand and a puzzle, so the 3 yo twins will have something to do. Due to Covid, they haven't been here since they were babies, so I'm guessing they'll also get into the GI Joes and American Girl dolls and some other toys left over from my kids. It's all new to them! 

I hope every small talker has a beautiful Thanksgiving Day. It's my favorite holiday. No gifts to buy, just lots of good food and conversation! 🦃

• Hugs 5
  • Love 17
23 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

We're gradually getting ready to host Thanksgiving. It helps to be retired, because all the bedmaking and vacuuming and dusting and food shopping etc. wears us out! Today we washed all the china and silver and brought in the two extra tables we'll need. I looked at paper cloths for the extra tables and decided not to spend the money when an inevitable spill could ruin it, so I got out 2 very 40-50s tablecloths. I can't remember where I got them, but they are very vintage looking. I washed and ironed them for the big day. Tomorrow we cook some of the sides. We'll have all of our kids and grandkids here and I can't wait! I picked up a new CandyLand and a puzzle, so the 3 yo twins will have something to do. Due to Covid, they haven't been here since they were babies, so I'm guessing they'll also get into the GI Joes and American Girl dolls and some other toys left over from my kids. It's all new to them! 

I hope every small talker has a beautiful Thanksgiving Day. It's my favorite holiday. No gifts to buy, just lots of good food and conversation! 🦃

It sounds like you have a lovely holiday planned ahead @BetyBee. May your family have a joyous time together. I have always enjoyed Thanksgiving as well (truthfully I love most holidays so there is that), I have many joyful memories of getting dressed up and going to The Drake Hotel with my great aunts (Thanksgiving was usually my Mom's holiday to take call up until she stopped taking night call in 2018), and when I got older, after my grandfather died I would take my sister to Mrs B's house (the caregiver to my sister and grandfather, even after she left the job she remained a member of our family until she died).

Wishing everyone here a joyous holiday to those who celebrate. I am thankful for our group here.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

That sounds wonderful!

On 11/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, lookeyloo said:

Hello everyone - sort of emerging from the two year mark of losing Sweet Son.  Everything feels different.  Yet the same.  Hard to describe.  

Sending love and prayers/good thoughts to everyone who loves and misses your dear Sweet Son.  

• Love 10

I'm in the middle of my Thanksgiving pie making. It's going to be a pretty small dinner this year. My mom will not be coming as she is in rehab after a bout of pneumonia followed by a fall the day after she got back from the hospital and a follow-up stay with us. Since Mr Jyn has a cold, and the grandkids are forever passing them back and forth between themselves at this time of year as well, it seemed best not to have her come home for the meal (which is about as long as they would let her out for in any case). So it will just be Mr Jyn & me, daughter & son-in-law, plus two grands ( one and four years old). Just making turkey thighs as we all like dark meat the best, and daughter is vegetarian, so no possible reason to make a whole turkey. Our two sons save up their family visits for Christmas because they really don't much care for the Thanksgiving menu in general, and that let's them come home for a week or so around Christmas instead. Looking forward to that!

• Hugs 2
  • Love 15

We are heading to Nashville as soon as Mr. Turquoise gets home from work. His family gets Thanksgiving, we stay in Illinois with mine for Christmas. I'm hoping everything goes OK. His brother hosts and always makes a great meal. My MIL has an obsession with size and some unhealthy eating habits, and feels the need to critique everyone. We had to move her into assisted living this year due to memory issues, but unfortunately that part of her personality is very much intact. I know she is declining and may not have a lot of holidays left, but it can be hard to be patient with the snide comments, whether directed at me or others. I am hoping for a peaceful few days and that Mr. can have a nice visit. We plan on heading home Saturday so we can have a decompression day before heading back to work.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 13

Thanksgiving quiz. 

You are a guest. You are asked if you want any leftovers to take home. What do you say you want?

I say "give me a drumstick (thinking, you fed me enough today, I don't want to take your good stuff)."

Plus, I'll gnaw on it over the weekend.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

Thanksgiving quiz. 

You are a guest. You are asked if you want any leftovers to take home. What do you say you want?

I say "give me a drumstick (thinking, you fed me enough today, I don't want to take your good stuff)."

Don’t be shy ask for an extra plate. If they are offering take it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

Thanksgiving quiz. 

I usually find that after a holiday meal I only want one leftover meal, and that's it.  I'm fine with sharing the stuff so I'm not left with more than that.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I woke up at 5am. Came out to find my kitty in my chair. He didn't seem to want to move, so here I sit in a secondary chair, with my coffee on the wrong side of me. Happy Thanksgiving to my geezer kitty, lol.

The tables are all set. My daughter made a beautiful Happy Thanksgiving sign with her Cricut. It's all peaceful and quiet and too early to start cooking. I love this time of day!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Small Talkers. Our hearts are full with love and gratitude, tinged with sadness for those who are no longer with us. Love and peace to all. ❤️

• Like 3
  • Love 18
59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have many things to be thankful for and included in that is all of you. I hope everyone has a day that is special to them. Happy Thanksgiving 🥰

^^Well said! And Happy Thanksgiving to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

FYI -- I just left network TV's Thanksgiving parade broadcast (yak, yak, yak) and put on YouTuber ActionKid, who is on the street near Central Park. Much better views and no promos.

Alas, it ended (in his area) right after I posted but it is up there for re-viewing.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I don't see this mentioned anywhere so it might just be me.

Was there a site update done recently that I'm unaware of? I'm asking because every time I enter the site now, I only get the lists of the "other" stuff. Usually I enter and see all the categories with the lists of shows. That seems to have completely disappeared ony end. To enter this forum I have to go to my notifications and click on one. But even then I can only move around in this category (being the reality tv shows) and when I go to "home" the only thing I see is the stuff I mentioned previously. It's very frustrating.

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, beckie said:

I don't see this mentioned anywhere so it might just be me.

Was there a site update done recently that I'm unaware of? I'm asking because every time I enter the site now, I only get the lists of the "other" stuff. Usually I enter and see all the categories with the lists of shows. That seems to have completely disappeared ony end. To enter this forum I have to go to my notifications and click on one. But even then I can only move around in this category (being the reality tv shows) and when I go to "home" the only thing I see is the stuff I mentioned previously. It's very frustrating.

I have noticed nothing different on my end. Report your issue on the Bugs forum. Other people may be having the same problem. It could be device or OS. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I have noticed nothing different on my end. Report your issue on the Bugs forum. Other people may be having the same problem. It could be device or OS. 

Thanks. I'll try that.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:07 PM, zoomama said:

well, to answer the question of the time involved with my quilt, being a beginner and learning every step of the way, i guess at least 100+ hours easily. i stopped counting hours at 66 and that was before most of the actual sewing it together started. there was so much prep work involved. this started as a big box of like 85ish neckties that my brother sent to me. because they had wool linings and i am allergic to wool, the prep took me so long.  each tie had to be deconstructed manually before a new lining could be ironed in even before i could cut the strips. after about 4 ties, my eyes would start to swell and my hands would be itchy/rashy. so i didnt work daily on this either until it was all prepped and ready to sew. also silk is slippery and moves when you sew it. the learning curve was huge!!!  i sent it out for the actual quilting the 3 layers together -- i doubt i will ever get to that part of the project in my skill level. then doing the hand sewing the binding on, the four sides took several days as i havent hand sewn in years. these old fingers are not in good shape any more! thanks for your kind words. 

That is a very advanced looking quilt.  Excellent work.  I have never quilted, but I sew.  I follow quilters on Reddit and Instagram.  Your work is more outstanding than most I see.  Love it and congrats!

• Love 5

This is a continuation of a discussion about sexy men in uniforms.

Back in my working days I was a longtime supervisor in a 911 Center (even before we had 911), and I knew a lot of cops.

I had this fantasy (never realized) of how sexy it would be to undress an officer in full uniform.  There are two belts to remove!  Remove the shirt, and then the velcro straps on the Kevlar vest.  I remember telling a few co-workers, and they thought it was a very good fantasy.  😄

• LOL 9

On Reddit something like this was asked a lot of ladies like the bare forearms. The men were like I’m rolling up my sleeves haha. 

And I forgot to mention clean and cut nails and a sexy deep voice ! 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4

Well, okay, I have to say this. Somebody, in the Sweet Fellowship discussion about enjoying looking at attractive men that has been brought over here, mentioned good looking firefighters.

Ahem. I had Thanksgiving dinner this year at a local fire station. Cooked and served by those good looking guys in their firefighter clothes, lol. Well, one of those guys is a member of our family. He was on duty. The guys on duty hosted their families, and of course everybody chipped in to bring side dishes, desserts, etc. The firefighters provided the turkey, prime rib, and ham.

There were about thirty people there, good company, and SO much good food. And, if I fell into a food coma, help would be at hand. Another good thing, no calls came in when we were eating. Because of course the guys would have had to leave if a call came in. (They said the calls had been kind of clustered earlier in the day.) 

I have to say, hopefully without sounding like a creepy old lady, on the whole those firefighters were certainly easy on the eye. So I didn't just get to enjoy the company of some attractive men, they cooked for me. And - THEY DID THE DISHES.

• Like 6
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Well, okay, I have to say this. Somebody, in the Sweet Fellowship discussion about enjoying looking at attractive men that has been brought over here, mentioned good looking firefighters.

Ahem. I had Thanksgiving dinner this year at a local fire station. Cooked and served by those good looking guys in their firefighter clothes, lol. Well, one of those guys is a member of our family. He was on duty. The guys on duty hosted their families, and of course everybody chipped in to bring side dishes, desserts, etc. The firefighters provided the turkey, prime rib, and ham.

There were about thirty people there, good company, and SO much good food. And, if I fell into a food coma, help would be at hand. Another good thing, no calls came in when we were eating. Because of course the guys would have had to leave if a call came in. (They said the calls had been kind of clustered earlier in the day.) 

I have to say, hopefully without sounding like a creepy old lady, on the whole those firefighters were certainly easy on the eye. So I didn't just get to enjoy the company of some attractive men, they cooked for me. And - THEY DID THE DISHES.

I mentioned the firefighters 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

This is a continuation of a discussion about sexy men in uniforms.

Back in my working days I was a longtime supervisor in a 911 Center (even before we had 911), and I knew a lot of cops.

I had this fantasy (never realized) of how sexy it would be to undress an officer in full uniform.  There are two belts to remove!  Remove the shirt, and then the velcro straps on the Kevlar vest.  I remember telling a few co-workers, and they thought it was a very good fantasy.  😄

When we were in college my husband had a summer job in the university maintenance department. He looked great in his uniform. Then for a while he was a Good Humor man. He even had the coin changer. (This was many moons ago.) Then he quit because he got a better job in a lab at the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Much better for his premed resume but no more hot uniforms. I guess it worked though because he did get in to medical school. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

We had a lovely Thanksgiving with our houseful of guests! Unfortunately, I threw out my back on Friday afternoon (not sure what did it!). I was still able to make it to the lighting of our town square with all of our kids & grandkids. It was beautiful and walking doesn't hurt my back except if I walk on uneven ground. Anyway, it's improving and didn't completely put me out of the fun. We usually put the tree up the Friday after Tday, but that didn't happen this year. I've got a ton of bedding to wash and cots to put away before we drag out more stuff. I'm thankful to be retired!

As for the looking at men discussion, I agree about firemen. I also always enjoyed seeing cute guys doing roadwork on hot, summer days. I agree that bed head and forearms are attractive. Fundie philosphy seems to be that only men are attracted to the opposite sex. Women look and assess as well! We even look at asses and assess! 😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

We had a lovely Thanksgiving with our houseful of guests! Unfortunately, I threw out my back on Friday afternoon (not sure what did it!). I was still able to make it to the lighting of our town square with all of our kids & grandkids. It was beautiful and walking doesn't hurt my back except if I walk on uneven ground. Anyway, it's improving and didn't completely put me out of the fun. We usually put the tree up the Friday after Tday, but that didn't happen this year. I've got a ton of bedding to wash and cots to put away before we drag out more stuff. I'm thankful to be retired!

As for the looking at men discussion, I agree about firemen. I also always enjoyed seeing cute guys doing roadwork on hot, summer days. I agree that bed head and forearms are attractive. Fundie philosphy seems to be that only men are attracted to the opposite sex. Women look and assess as well! We even look at asses and assess! 😉

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Clean nails? David Rodrigues weeps. 😂

Maybe he is not allowed to use soap with sexy labels haha

nah more likely he doesn’t like to clean himself. I can’t imagine walking around with such dirty hands! Especially when his first love is dip up into food !

• Like 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I mentioned the firefighters 

Ah, firefighters . . .  I was rescued from a stuck elevator in my office building about ten years ago.  One hunky firefighter (NYFD) came in and helped me up a ladder.  Then I was greeted by three more!  Fun times. 

The local firehouse guys shop at our closest supermarket.  I love to see what they're cooking . . .

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 8

Mr Jyn was in the Navy for 38 years, so there was always at least one sort of uniform I never had a lack of. Though, to be honest, men in uniform have never done all that much for me. I'm very face-focused, so clothes, and even hair tend to be pretty peripheral to whether I find someone attractive. Specifically, if someone has a nice mouth, and interesting teeth, I'm likely to focus on that. Never have liked perfectly straight teeth, unless they are on the smaller side, tilted inward, with a narrow bite ( yes, I have put way too much thought into my favorite sorts of teeth). Generally, anyone with the sort of structure where the front two teeth tilt slightly inward and the second two slightly overlap them will captivate me. Oh, and I would add some smile lines around the eyes that speak of kindness and a sense of humor.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I got a small lump sum disability check a few weeks ago and bought a 2000 Toyota Corolla for $1,100. I spent Tuesday through Saturday at my daughter's house. I haven't been up there since the first of September and it was so good to love on my grandchildren. My grandson is on the autism spectrum and was worried when I left that I would "get lost" again and forget him. I may go back next weekend just to reassure him that I will never forget him.

• Hugs 11
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I meant to keep working on my paintings throughout the year to give as Christmas presents (trying to keep it a bit simple this year), but I started this one back, I think, in May, and finished about a third of it, at which point it sat untouched for months and months. Decided after Thanksgiving that I needed to get my butt in gear, and finally got it done, so I can start on some others I have planned. Think I'll give this one to my brother in law who is going to be with us for the holidays. It's not the best thing I've done - I feel as though there are at least three or four competing styles going on - but the whole has a good enough composition that it kind of gets away with it. Anyway, these next few weeks are going to be very busy if I want to get four more pieces finished!

317464377_10160226563732778_6426408470580787380_n.jpg

I like it very much 🥰

• Love 6
On 11/26/2022 at 9:58 PM, oliviabenson said:

🎵🎤 let’s talk about what makes men sexy 🥳🎵🎤

Rolled up sleeves, messy slept in hair, shy smiles, dimples, a guy who can cook, a uniform… sigh 

Clean cut, clean shaven, fresh smelling clothes, good cologne.  That’s exactly how my husband smelled when we were going out.  Still can’t forget it.  Still does.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ah, firefighters . . .  I was rescued from a stuck elevator in my office building about ten years ago.  One hunky firefighter (NYFD) came in and helped me up a ladder.  Then I was greeted by three more!  Fun times. 

The local firehouse guys shop at our closest supermarket.  I love to see what they're cooking . . .

My son in law is a NYC Fireman in Brooklyn for 20 yrs.  Every morning, one fireman goes food shopping at the local supermarket.  They buy for the day.  Fresh meat, veggies .. the best.  They cook everything from Italian to American.  Better than women.  No junk.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My son in law is a NYC Fireman in Brooklyn for 20 yrs.  Every morning, one fireman goes food shopping at the local supermarket.  They buy for the day.  Fresh meat, veggies .. the best.  They cook everything from Italian to American.  Better than women.  No junk.

I'm on the Upper West Side.  When our local guys shop, they pull up in the truck and at least two of them go in to the store.

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm on the Upper West Side.  When our local guys shop, they pull up in the truck and at least two of them go in to the store.

Yes .. probably.   One thing about them.  They all have good hearts.  It’s just in them to help all people, all the time.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think the crew has to stay with the truck, so that would make sense. If a call comes in while they're shopping, the crew members can run right out of the store to the truck and they can roll off to answer the call right then. As opposed to having to get the crew reassembled at the station before scrambling to answer the call, which eats up valuable time. (I suppose that will depend on how well-staffed the station is at the time, but I think generally they don't have a lot of spare bodies they can send out on a grocery run.)

My regular local supermarket is literally across the street from our fire station. And those guys pull the truck across the street and park in front of the store when they go shopping there. 

• Wink 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I meant to keep working on my paintings throughout the year to give as Christmas presents (trying to keep it a bit simple this year), but I started this one back, I think, in May, and finished about a third of it, at which point it sat untouched for months and months. Decided after Thanksgiving that I needed to get my butt in gear, and finally got it done, so I can start on some others I have planned. Think I'll give this one to my brother in law who is going to be with us for the holidays. It's not the best thing I've done - I feel as though there are at least three or four competing styles going on - but the whole has a good enough composition that it kind of gets away with it. Anyway, these next few weeks are going to be very busy if I want to get four more pieces finished!

317464377_10160226563732778_6426408470580787380_n.jpg

@Jynnan tonnix, the painting is beautiful. You are very talented. 

• Love 11

I can tell Cavendish and Lady Reese are very comfortable with me now, they were all over me when I was trying to trim the dining room tree. Now that it's done, they dont seem to care (I think it was the fact I was touching it). I am going to put them in the bathroom while I decorate the living room tree so I can do it in peace. 

Photo of what I pulled out of Cosmo's mouth during afternoon walk Saturday.

IMG_7604.thumb.jpeg.8e37439eb80087bc3e83f0d3977d954d.jpeg

I am getting in the holiday spirit, but I admit there is sorrow mixed with the merriment. Missing a lot of people, and the loss of close relationships.

I did go see Wakanda Forever a second time with some of my cousins on Saturday and that was fun. I invited my cousin M aged 62, who has been quite sick the last few years (several strokes)- its hard to see M sick, growing up he was ALWAYS the one putting walkers and wheelchairs in cars for the elders, I was texting his sister (who is his caregiver, she didnt go, not her jam) and I told her I would do more for M, but with my schedule and the distance (they live on the opposite side of Chicago-land from me, Chicago is geographically huge)., I dont have much free time.

M has been a good "big cousin" to me, we hung out a lot when he took early retirement before the pandemic, because he had just gotten divorced and had a lot of free time (he is childfree). I was told "you do more than your share, and always have." I damn near cried. Gotta cherish people while they are here you know.

• Hugs 12
  • Love 5