Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Her instructions were no solid food, clear liquids only starting today (water, ginger ale, apple juice etc)  and the prep pills starting Sunday.

For me that was for the prep day only and I was allowed a light breakfast. Maybe she has had difficulties getting cleared out in the past. I’m of the age where most friends have had multiple ones and no one has had three days . So sorry for her.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

For me that was for the prep day only and I was allowed a light breakfast. Maybe she has had difficulties getting cleared out in the past. I’m of the age where most friends have had multiple ones and no one has had three days . So sorry for her.

Maybe! I wouldn't ask because she is already a little grumpy about it.

1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Clear liquids usually include coffee, tea, most sodas, popsicles and jellos as long as not red, broths and bouilions.  I found clear beef broth helped me a lot during these preps.

Yes she has her broths, ginger ale, La Croix, hot green tea, apple juice. She and my sister would have a death match over the jello and popsicles (both are big fans on the regular), so there may already be some of those in her fridge. 

I was going to make some spinach and artichoke dip from scratch because we got artichokes in our Imperfect Food box, but I can prep the artichokes in my instant pot, freeze them and make it next weekend.

• Love 5

I knew I wasn't going to be able to drink a lot of the prep, so I started on a liquid diet 5 days in advance. I was given a mild sedative to take in the morning and then *something* (can't remember if it was a shot or what) to put me out during the procedure. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have a question our law friends here.  In a murder/missing person trial, are the jurors instructed not to discuss the case with their priest in confession?  I am following a trial in CA about a girl that has been missing for about 20 years.  The former boyfriend and his father are on trial, since new evidence has been found.  They still do not have her body, however.  The case is now in deliberation.  Apparently, one juror talked about the case during confession, and then told another juror about it.   The confessing juror has been dismissed, and an alternate was sworn in.  Now they have to begin the deliberations all over again.  Does this kind of thing happen often?

• Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have a question our law friends here.  In a murder/missing person trial, are the jurors instructed not to discuss the case with their priest in confession?  I am following a trial in CA about a girl that has been missing for about 20 years.  The former boyfriend and his father are on trial, since new evidence has been found.  They still do not have her body, however.  The case is now in deliberation.  Apparently, one juror talked about the case during confession, and then told another juror about it.   The confessing juror has been dismissed, and an alternate was sworn in.  Now they have to begin the deliberations all over again.  Does this kind of thing happen often?

Paul Flores case?

46 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Paul Flores case?

Yeah.  I used to live around the corner from the Smart family, and I taught in the same district as Kristin's mother.  I have moved away, but I still have interest in the case.

• Mind Blown 2

They finally arrested a suspect in the serial murders in Stockton CA.  Five men have been shot and killed, one woman shot but survived and another woman who says he tried to get into her house.  The guy was armed when arrested.  The murders were not too far from my former neighborhood where I lived in Stockton.  Another reason I am glad that I moved.  Very creepy!

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
33 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

They finally arrested a suspect in the serial murders in Stockton CA.  Five men have been shot and killed, one woman shot but survived and another woman who says he tried to get into her house.  The guy was armed when arrested.  The murders were not too far from my former neighborhood where I lived in Stockton.  Another reason I am glad that I moved.  Very creepy!

hadnt heard about this one!  how scary. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

This story made our local news in the Bay Area. Glad they caught the fucker. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

A big THANK YOU to those who recommended Talbots pants.  I ordered the stretch cords in 2 lengths, and the petite fit perfectly.  I just found out that there is a Talbots store about an hour away, so I will make the return in person and buy more of the pants in different colors.  These will be so nice this Fall and Winter.  Now if I can find some tops and maybe a blazer..........

Question:  do these pants shrink when washed in cold water?  The length is perfect right now.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Kanye West is buying Parler. Isn't that the social media site that Fundies use?

I don't know about that but earlier this year it was announced that Mr. West was CEO of the company I work for. This was a total shock to our current CEO.

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

A big THANK YOU to those who recommended Talbots pants.  I ordered the stretch cords in 2 lengths, and the petite fit perfectly.  I just found out that there is a Talbots store about an hour away, so I will make the return in person and buy more of the pants in different colors.  These will be so nice this Fall and Winter.  Now if I can find some tops and maybe a blazer..........

Question:  do these pants shrink when washed in cold water?  The length is perfect right now.

No they don’t shrink. I wash all my clothes on cold and hang pants to dry. Neither my mom nor I have had issues. I am 5’7 and buy the regular length. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Also @CalicoKitty they don’t have as big a selection in store as online (as far as colors and lengths). I would order online and then make the drive to the store if the colors don’t work for you in person (rather than making your return and planning to buy more in store). 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also @CalicoKitty they don’t have as big a selection in store as online (as far as colors and lengths). I would order online and then make the drive to the store if the colors don’t work for you in person (rather than making your return and planning to buy more in store). 

Good to know.  Thanks.

• Love 2

I took my mom to get her colonoscopy yesterday. She got a clean bill of health and requested a Lush haul on the way home (I’m always after her to exfoliate!). She also requested DoRite Donuts -I was happy to oblige.

There are days my mom seems so much older than 74-I guess she had a very stressful job, she had health issues ,and being my sister’s mother hasn’t been easy; so I guess we can’t be surprised. This pandemic is taking a lot of her -I feel like she’s aged 10 years in the last three. 

The nurse that recognized her (she went to her hospital system) asked about my godmother, Cosmo’s old mom that died last year. That was hard for her. 

Photo of Cosmo and Cavendish to keep it light. 

Edited to add, the funniest quote of this entire experience “I was up all night and didn’t make any money!!”😂😂 At least she still has her sense of humor.

4F329F32-CB35-4FDD-8BFE-E8DAD922FD9F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have several pairs and have never had a problem with shrinking, and I often wash them in warm water and always dry them in the dryer.  I have short legs, so I need to hem them when I get them, but I cannot recall ever having to lengthen them due to shrinking.

I also agree with Scarlett, the selection in the stores is usually less than what is available online.  If you want to order something and pick it up at the store, they do that.

Glad you like them, me too.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/14/2022 at 7:01 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Paul Flores was found guilty. His father got acquitted. Kristen is still missing after 26 years… 

• Sad 5
19 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Paul Flores was found guilty. His father got acquitted. Kristen is still missing after 26 years… 

I guess the alternate juror paid attention, because it did not take too long to get a verdict.  I wish he would just say where he hid the body.  I'm sure this conviction brought some closure for the family but I'm sure they would still like to recover her body.   It is really too bad that the campus cops did not take her disappearance seriously at the very beginning.  There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this case.

I hope they got the right suspect in the Stockton serial murders.  My friends are afraid to go out to dinner at night anymore.  The police were questioning residents on streets very close to where I used to live, which was in the "good" part of town (and yes, there is an Olive Garden near by.)  Stockton is having its share of hard times right now.

• Hugs 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wasn’t sure where to put this.  I immediately thought about the Duggars when I read it.  This lady is doing great work.  I found her perspective enlightening.  

https://people.com/health/jane-epstein-sexually-abused-by-brother-as-child-survivors-sibling-sexual-abuse/

I am so very sorry that happened to Jane. I can imagine that’s a scary thing to go through, especially from your older sibling whom you love and trust. 

I do wonder why it took something like “The Color Purple” to make her brother think that what he did was wrong? At 12years old, and typical cognitive functioning, I would certainly think he was old enough to know better. (Compared to something like a 1-2yrs difference) Especially since he did it in secret and continued to do it until he was EIGHTEEN (certainly capable of knowing better) and she was twelve. 

I bring up cognitive functioning because a big topic in my advocacy work as a Sibling of someone with a disability, is working with parents and caregivers to teach individuals with mental disabilities proper physical and sexual boundaries, for their own protection and so they can have better community experiences, especially as they get older and hit puberty, with adult hormones but not adult decision making. But again I’m in 2022 not 1970 something. It seems some of the themes we deal with could be addressed in all families. 

Family should be a safe space. Siblings and older family members should be able to provide caregiving duties without anyone having to fear sexual abuse or exploitation! I don’t know the best way to combat something like this, but every survivor that comes forward has my utmost respect. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11

In lighter news- I’m still doing research on cars, and the Toyota RAV4 Prime looks like something I would enjoy driving with the features I like and a price point I am comfortable with. Does anyone have experience with this car? On the shallow bus I love the pearlescent red!! So pretty. 

I wonder if I will need to get Cosmo a ramp🐶🐾.
4BF08905-758E-4920-B304-495DADD75516.thumb.webp.87ef9b65eb5e8ab42c3bf0c1bd0eb301.webp

I do plan on going to the Chicago Auto Show in February and look around. I will go a week day (vacation day) so I can browse at my leisure. A car is a BIG purchase and I want to be sure, because I plan to keep it 15ish years (no shade to people that change up their cars! Such fun!)

• Like 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

In lighter news- I’m still doing research on cars, and the Toyota RAV4 Prime looks like something I would enjoy driving with the features I like and a price point I am comfortable with. Does anyone have experience with this car? On the shallow bus I love the pearlescent red!! So pretty. 

4BF08905-758E-4920-B304-495DADD75516.thumb.webp.87ef9b65eb5e8ab42c3bf0c1bd0eb301.webp

I do plan on going to the Chicago Auto Show in February and look around. I will go a week day (vacation day) so I can browse at my leisure. A car is a BIG purchase and I want to be sure, because I plan to keep it 15ish years (no shade to people that change up their cars! Such fun!)

my husband has a new rav 4 (within the last less than 12 months) and he loves it. i dont. one thing to be aware of is the rear view mirror. his is a camera view from much like you see when your car goes in reverse and your nav screen shows whats behind you. it distorts your view -- in other words you cant tell how far away the car behind you is. and i havent found an option to make it a real mirror that works. there is a way to 'switch 'it but it isnt very good. and at night in the swtiched mode, forget seeing. so it is an adjustment to get used to.  like i said, hubby loves it though. he got a hybrid and loves the gas value. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, zoomama said:

my husband has a new rav 4 (within the last less than 12 months) and he loves it. i dont. one thing to be aware of is the rear view mirror. his is a camera view from much like you see when your car goes in reverse and your nav screen shows whats behind you. it distorts your view -- in other words you cant tell how far away the car behind you is. and i havent found an option to make it a real mirror that works. there is a way to 'switch 'it but it isnt very good. and at night in the swtiched mode, forget seeing. so it is an adjustment to get used to.  like i said, hubby loves it though. he got a hybrid and loves the gas value. 

This is good to know! So you can’t turn the camera view off and just have a regular mirror?

• Mind Blown 1
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is good to know! So you can’t turn the camera view off and just have a regular mirror?

i certainly havent figured it out  yet.  i looked at the manual and it didnt really give me an explanation. remember how back in the day you could flip the switch under the mirror at night to dull the glare of the lights? it does that and that is supposed to be the regular view but at night it is not possible to see out of it very well. so i dont know if my hubby didnt learn the trick or what but i dont like driving it. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That’s a fine looking car!  I’ve had only red cars since 1990!  They called me. I didn’t seek them out. Lol. One was a Toyota Celica.  Great car.  

This link is for a 2021. I’m not sure how different the 2022 or 2023 is or which you were considering. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Porkchop said:

I’m on my 4th red Dodge Grand Caravan, and. Have loved every one of them. Have you heard the saying “Red shoes make you feel ten years younger”? I feel the same about red cars! 

Most of the cars I've had over the years have been some shade of metallic grey/green, grey/blue, etc.- sort of misty metallic shades. I got a Hyundai Tucson about a year ago, which was only available in black or white everywhere we looked because we really wanted a leftover 2021 model. I hate white cars with a passion, and dislike black ones only slightly less, so the black one it was. It's a good car, but I still can't help being reminded of Darth Vader every time I look at it.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

I had a red 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier.  Loved that car.  Wore it out.  Lately, silver cars for me.  Just because.  Exterior color doesn't matter much to me now. Also styling.  I bought one car because I liked the way it looked, but, found out it wasn't comfortable for me to sit in over the long haul.  So now try to avoid outside looks for interior comfort.  Also mad at Toyota since they lied about their brake situation way back and at least one man went to prison for killing someone and said his brakes failed. Which finally admitted that there was a problem and he was released.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My daughter is scheduled for a procedure to attempt the repositioning of her baby. He’s breech at the moment. So, we may be officially meeting him today. 

Apparently little one wasn’t interested in being repositioned, so there’s an office appointment next week, to see what the story is then, and go from there.

Currently waiting for the doctor to say she can go home.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 18
  • Love 2

I've just returned from 9 days away visiting my grandkids. They are adorable and exhausting. Mr. BetyBee kept the homefires burning and made sure to buy a loaf of my favorite bread from the Farmer's Market, so I'd have it when I returned. The house is clean and today my 2 sisters are coming for our 1st annual lunch for we sisters to commemorate our late sister on what would have been her 69th birthday. It's been a tough year, but we made it through. I miss her so much! 

• Hugs 15
  • Love 5

@ginger90-congratulations to your entire family!!  So happy to hear everything went well.  

We've had a couple of trying hard weeks in our household.  I have been lurking, but I'm just now getting into posting again.  Mr. Six had a conference in Indiana at the end of September, and while he got a few nice goodies, he also got Covid.  Two days before he returned home, I was at Patient First getting diagnosed with cellulitis.  My neck and cheek were swollen about 4 times the size they should have been.  And, one week after him testing positive for Covid, I tested positive.  I was out of it for 2 weeks, and I still have some lingering symptoms.  My mom was visiting while he was away, and thankfully, she didn't get sick. Getting Covid has made my POTS symptoms amplified, and my pain levels have been through the roof with very little relief.  I'm officially done with 2022.  

• Hugs 15
  • Sad 10
On 10/7/2022 at 5:35 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Leggings FTW.  I solve my issues with pants by wearing skirts and dresses.  I'm too curvy for scrub pants.  I need a belt not a flimsy drawstring to keep my pants from falling down. 

My daughter always laughed at me because back in the day (i.e. pre-Covid) I would wear a dress to fly.  I found comfortably waisted leggings and a waistless, loose-fitting dress way more comfortable than the jeans she favoured. 

On 10/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, lookeyloo said:

All very true, but, I think there is a paucity of people to choose from.  Around here, it seems that no one is applying for these type of jobs since other ones have been made available to them.  I don't know what "other ones" are except that they seem to be there.  There are help wanted signs all over around here and eateries have shortened their hours because of lack of staff.  I don't think these people are all sitting home, just got better type jobs.  Whether pay, hours, schedules, etc.

This.  There's a labor shortage in the US at the moment.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, Absolom said:

I had mainly retired LPNs for my mother.  They didn't cook.  I included a weekly meal out in the plan (with my mother).  Two for the outstanding one.  

For me, when I cared for my parents at the end of their lives, taking them out for a meal was an additional burden.  We compromised by going for a drive in the countryside with no getting in and out of the car, unless it was me running out for a 99 (icecream) if we spotted an icecream van.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, zoomama said:

i certainly havent figured it out  yet.  i looked at the manual and it didnt really give me an explanation. remember how back in the day you could flip the switch under the mirror at night to dull the glare of the lights? it does that and that is supposed to be the regular view but at night it is not possible to see out of it very well. so i dont know if my hubby didnt learn the trick or what but i dont like driving it. 

Do you live near the dealership?  Perhaps you could swing by and have them show you (more than once) how to do it?

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 4
On 10/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Most of the cars I've had over the years have been some shade of metallic grey/green, grey/blue, etc.- sort of misty metallic shades. I got a Hyundai Tucson about a year ago, which was only available in black or white everywhere we looked because we really wanted a leftover 2021 model. I hate white cars with a passion, and dislike black ones only slightly less, so the black one it was. It's a good car, but I still can't help being reminded of Darth Vader every time I look at it.

Growing up all of our cars were white due to my dad buying used vehicles from his work.  We had a running joke that only white cars were allowed to park in the driveway.  I associate white cars with fleet vehicles to this day, and refuse to own/lease a white car.  I only had two color choices available last summer when I traded in my lease and got a new Corolla--white or silver.  When my lease is up on the silver Corolla, I will hopefully have more colors to choose from.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Regarding having the caregiver and my mom go out to eat, my mom has had dementia (Alzheimer's) for over ten years.  Back when she had caregivers, she was fine walking and eating and going to the store with company.  Now she's on hospice and I haven't had her out of memory care in over a year and the last time I did take her out I used their transportation service and a caregiver went with us since she was more than one person could handle. 

• Hugs 14
On 10/19/2022 at 7:13 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I guess the alternate juror paid attention, because it did not take too long to get a verdict.  I wish he would just say where he hid the body.  I'm sure this conviction brought some closure for the family but I'm sure they would still like to recover her body.   It is really too bad that the campus cops did not take her disappearance seriously at the very beginning.  There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this case.

Or the alternate juror was just sick of sitting around all day in court for weeks on end and wanted to get things over so went with the flow.  Sorry to be cynical, but it happens.  The same way many of the most qualified (educationally and intellectually) potential jurors will do whatever they can to get out of doing jury service in the first place.

(Talking about the US here, don't know how it is in other countries.)

Edited by Leeds