Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

So, although I know it rained last night, for some reason I sat on my backyard swing at the end of morning walk with Cosmo, AND I didn't realize the seat was wet until I stood up! I had to change pants and underwear at 7:30am. I do not sit on the swing on in office days for this very reason. But here is Cosmo! He is going to the groomer Saturday, and I'm glad, the fur is getting unruly and he is looking like a werewolf in the feet!

IMG_6776.JPG

How old is Cosmo? He is soooo cute! 

• Love 1

My gynecologists office called me today... surgery has been cancelled for Friday due to a shortage of anesthesiologists. It has been rebooked for September 22nd. I am so disappointed. Oh well, it will give me more time to prepare and freeze meals. But man that bites. Lol

I hope everyone is having a great day!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 20
  • Sad 1

Cinnabon, in reference to your question about ad blockers and Firestick, I am honestly not sure. I am perhaps a bit odd in that I only watch videos on my laptop, so my regular ad blocker has been all I need. 

• Like 2

@Cinnabon- I did not see your Fire Stick question, but I use Fire Stick and Fire Cube all the time.  There are no extra ads, just the regular live commercials if you are watching a streaming service like YoutubeTV or Hulu.  Streaming on things like BritBox or Acorn have no commercials.  There are no "extra" Amazon commercials or ads.  I use a Fire Stick on one TV and a Fire Cube on another TV, even though they are both "smart" TVs.  I really like the ease of use, and being able to change channels and control the TV by voice.  With the Cube, I can control everything exclusively by voice.  Hopes this helps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

@Cinnabon- I did not see your Fire Stick question, but I use Fire Stick and Fire Cube all the time.  There are no extra ads, just the regular live commercials if you are watching a streaming service like YoutubeTV or Hulu.  Streaming on things like BritBox or Acorn have no commercials.  There are no "extra" Amazon commercials or ads.  I use a Fire Stick on one TV and a Fire Cube on another TV, even though they are both "smart" TVs.  I really like the ease of use, and being able to change channels and control the TV by voice.  With the Cube, I can control everything exclusively by voice.  Hopes this helps.

I guess I was referring to the regular live commercials on YouTube. No escape from those, it seems. 

18 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I guess I was referring to the regular live commercials on YouTube. No escape from those, it seems. 

The streaming service you use for live TV (Hulu, YoutubeTV, etc) usually has a subscription that is commercial-free for a higher fee.  You sign up for it from the individual service site.  That has nothing to do with the Fire Stick itself.  Fire Stick has no fees outside of the purchase price.

3 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

The streaming service you use for live TV (Hulu, YoutubeTV, etc) usually has a subscription that is commercial-free for a higher fee.  You sign up for it from the individual service site.  That has nothing to do with the Fire Stick itself.  Fire Stick has no fees outside of the purchase price.

I know, I subscribed to YouTube Tv for several years. Someone in another thread mentioned that content creators only got paid when viewers clicked on ads that played during their YouTube videos. I wondered who actually clicked on those. I have a Firestick and several steaming services, so I’m well aware of the fees I’m paying for each. I’m also aware of the different tiers on steaming services. I think you misunderstood the crux of the discussion. 

Edited by Cinnabon
32 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I know, I subscribed to YouTube Tv for several years. Someone in another thread mentioned that content creators only got paid when viewers clicked on ads that played during their YouTube videos. I wondered who actually clicked on those. I have a Firestick and several steaming services, so I’m well aware of the fees I’m paying for each. I’m also aware of the different tiers on steaming services. I think you misunderstood the crux of the discussion. 

I guess I did misunderstand.  Sorry.

IMG_1041.jpg.2354ded9a72c425234b427b475610df7.jpgBoth cats are in my lap, and Flora decided she needed a pillow.  Lily doesn't seem to mind.  We are just happy it is cool in the house.  We are in a heat warning.  Record rainfall at the beginning of the month, and now record high temps.  August has proven to be an interesting month.

• Hugs 5
  • Love 8

@CalicoKitty I finished your brother’s book yesterday. It took me awhile as I only read a chapter a day every morning. Please thank him as it has brought me peace, joy and a lot of thought as to how I live my life and my attitude. I am going back to the beginning and rereading it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

My gynecologists office called me today... surgery has been cancelled for Friday due to a shortage of anesthesiologists. It has been rebooked for September 22nd. I am so disappointed. Oh well, it will give me more time to prepare and freeze meals. But man that bites. Lol

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Awww that's such a bummer, you were expecting it! But you have a great attitude about it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cross posted from the pets thread, but here is Cavendish keeping me company during morning email time.

9E37B952-555D-4D76-9D80-6392493A1422.jpeg

B3F153E8-FAE1-41D8-9F88-7FF5B903909D.jpeg

He really is a handsome cat. I like his markings. Especially the bits of white fur around his eyes. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@CalicoKitty I finished your brother’s book yesterday. It took me awhile as I only read a chapter a day every morning. Please thank him as it has brought me peace, joy and a lot of thought as to how I live my life and my attitude. I am going back to the beginning and rereading it. 

I just called him and read your post.  The says "thank you", and you have made him very happy.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

As its September 1st the first batch of pumpkin syrup has been made and is cooling before I put the lids on an pop it in the fridge. 

It feels wasteful to just throw away the strained puree. I wonder how much flavor it has left (I did taste some, and it does, I added a lot of spices so that I would come through the coffee). I think I will add some strained puree to fresh pumpkin and do pancakes in the morning since I am WFH.

Puppy Pumpkin GIF

I added this puppy gif because I thought it was cute.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

As its September 1st the first batch of pumpkin syrup has been made and is cooling before I put the lids on an pop it in the fridge. 

It feels wasteful to just throw away the strained puree. I wonder how much flavor it has left (I did taste some, and it does, I added a lot of spices so that I would come through the coffee). I think I will add some strained puree to fresh pumpkin and do pancakes in the morning since I am WFH.

Puppy Pumpkin GIF

I added this puppy gif because I thought it was cute.

Pumpkin purée is also supposed to be really healthy when added to your dog’s food.  I’ve read it’s good for diarrhea and constipation, both!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, louannems said:

Pumpkin purée is also supposed to be really healthy when added to your dog’s food.  I’ve read it’s good for diarrhea and constipation, both!

Yes it is! I keep cans around for when Cosmo has an upset tummy. But I wouldn't want to give him this because of the sugar and all the spices added to it. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Update on my experiment with left over purée-The left over puree lost a lot of flavor after it was mixed with other ingredients. The pancakes weren't as pumpkin-y as I would've wanted but still fine. 

I will pitch the rest of the puree, I can afford more cans of pumpkin. This is the recipe I used. 

Next time I will try Greek yogurt pumpkin pancakes. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Warby Parker & Zinni were mentioned in the Joy/Austin thread. Do these companies only do regular glasses or can they also do blended bifocals? We are having eye exams today and I would love to save some money on the actual glasses this time around!

18 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Warby Parker & Zinni were mentioned in the Joy/Austin thread. Do these companies only do regular glasses or can they also do blended bifocals? We are having eye exams today and I would love to save some money on the actual glasses this time around!

Hey BetyBee- yes these companies do all types of corrective lenses, I would say give them a shot. Warby Parker does send the frames to your house to try on, which is a cool function.

BUT I prefer GlassesUSA.com. More selection than Warby Parker at more variable price points. I am a contact lense wearer so I am not the type to have multiple frames- my Mom is though, (she keeps about 3, plus sunglasses to match her outfit/mood) and she pitched a shit fit when I suggested she buy them online in 2018. "I cannot buy EYEGLASSES ONLINE, I need BIFOCALS with NO LINE!" oh she gave me ATTITUDE!

$700 pair of glasses costed her $200. 

"I told you so little Mommy."

Eyebuy Direct is also a good site. There are a lot of options these days.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Zenni certainly does and I imagine Warby Parker does too.  My brother got blended bifocals originally, but, once he started needing replacement glasses several times a year, we switched to the regular kind to save money.

• Love 1

I like my Zinni glasses a lot, since I just wanted simple frames and nothing fancy other than thinner lenses (to avoid Coke bottle look).  Warby Parker were all plastic tortoise-shell, and I'm a wire-frame person.

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hey BetyBee- yes these companies do all types of corrective lenses, I would say give them a shot. Warby Parker does send the frames to your house to try on, which is a cool function.

BUT I prefer GlassesUSA.com. More selection than Warby Parker at more variable price points. I am a contact lense wearer so I am not the type to have multiple frames- my Mom is though, (she keeps about 3, plus sunglasses to match her outfit/mood) and she pitched a shit fit when I suggested she buy them online in 2018. "I cannot buy EYEGLASSES ONLINE, I need BIFOCALS with NO LINE!" oh she gave me ATTITUDE!

$700 pair of glasses costed her $200. 

"I told you so little Mommy."

Eyebuy Direct is also a good site. There are a lot of options these days.

That is an incredible savings! My daughter uses Warby Parker, but she's not yet in bifocals, so she wasn't sure if they could do them. She has a really cute new pair of glasses. She actually goes to the Oak Brook store to get them. I'll definitely get my prescription in writing today so I can shop around. Sunglasses are another concern. Last time I got the magnetic kind and those have worked out ok for me. I kind of hate switching them around going into and out of places, but I've read that the darkening kind of glasses don't work well with driving. I've been wearing glasses since I was 18 months old! I tried contacts a couple of times over the years, but I could never get comfortable with them. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

That is an incredible savings! My daughter uses Warby Parker, but she's not yet in bifocals, so she wasn't sure if they could do them. She has a really cute new pair of glasses. She actually goes to the Oak Brook store to get them. I'll definitely get my prescription in writing today so I can shop around. Sunglasses are another concern. Last time I got the magnetic kind and those have worked out ok for me. I kind of hate switching them around going into and out of places, but I've read that the darkening kind of glasses don't work well with driving. I've been wearing glasses since I was 18 months old! I tried contacts a couple of times over the years, but I could never get comfortable with them. 

My Mom has presciption sunglasses, and transitions lenses in her regular frames. The transitions lenses do well for when she's just walking around outside, but if she is going to drive, she puts her sunglasses on before she pulls out of the garage, and puts them back in her purse after she parks.

The Warby Parker in Oakbrook is NICE! I went there a few weeks ago. We have one in the city (Southport), and its by the Lush so I have been there too. Oakbrook mall is my meeting point for a lot of the friends that live in the Southwest suburbs because I am so far north, 294! During my vacation time we are heading back to the RH Rooftop Restaurant in Oakbrook, I recommend if you have not been.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Absolom, @Notabug and @Zella- You guys are right (not that I doubted you), I googled, "lace pilgrim collar" and found these. I looked HORRID in these when I was a child. I remember this blue velvet one with a pink rose in the middle, I had to wear that for 2nd grade photos, 1992. Golly it was ugly. 

image.png.de1624f79b284e4076911e2b333add69.pngimage.png.87dc8f82861c16b947b713840916ee88.pngimage.png.9d636260ca1b495061e5f356ce684f9f.png

I think they look better on very small children! The one my cousin is wearing in her baby picture (which would have been late 1991/early 1992) is kind of cute, but it is also more rounded and in less distinctive two parts (if that makes sense.) I never really thought before of how specifically early 90s that look was. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I think they look better on very small children! The one my cousin is wearing in her baby picture (which would have been late 1991/early 1992) is kind of cute, but it is also more rounded and in less distinctive two parts (if that makes sense.) I never really thought before of how specifically early 90s that look was. 

Yes I know what you mean.

They do look better on small children, it was certainly the look of the day. I liked the blue velvet part, but I don't like embellishments or things on my clothes- never have. I wear a lot of color, but not a lot of pattern and texture. if You had just given me the blue dress, a fab hair accessory and perhaps a sash I wouldve been FINE. Its been almost 30yrs and that dress sticks in my memory because another girl in my class had it on too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I guess they have two names:

image.png.756c213ce67e1812bb0aaf83ee134923.pngimage.png.709ff509906f9356ee5382a3f9ddd74b.png

It's like a fashion Rorschach test. When you see this collar, do you think of Puritans or prairies? Bibs! 

I think for me when I see the individual collar, I automatically think Pilgrim, but when I see a lot of the dresses they're attached to, I think prairie. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Zella said:

It's like a fashion Rorschach test. When you see this collar, do you think of Puritans or prairies? Bibs! 

I think for me when I see the individual collar, I automatically think Pilgrim, but when I see a lot of the dresses they're attached to, I think prairie. 

The British press would never call a piece of clothing worn by a member of the royal family as Pilgrim.  That's too close to the Roundheads that killed the king 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The British press would never call a piece of clothing worn by a member of the royal family as Pilgrim.  That's too close to the Roundheads that killed the king 

That's probably true, but the usage isn't exclusively British since we have Americans on this forum who also use it. 

• Like 1

The early 90's have a lot to answer for in terms of fashions (as do the 80's). I'm not entirely guiltless in that respect as to those decades. Just saying.

I got home today from a three day road trip. I wanted to see Carhenge, which did not disappoint. I found a bargain campground about an hour away, met some nice folks there, and explored other sites. Including the Scottsbluff National Monument and the Agate Fossil Beds National Monument. The exterior of my car picked up quite a load of Nebraska dust, dirt, and bugs - which I've now eliminated at the car wash. It was good to get away for a few days.

The more I travel in my minivan, the more I realize it's okay for short-ish road trips but I don't think I could manage something like two months away in it. It's just too small to "live" in for that long. I've now experienced some very uncomfortable weather while camped in it (high winds, cold and hot temps). It's just claustrophobic to be in there when you can't open the doors and move comfortably in and out of it during the day. Fine for sleeping, though. 

Here's a photo from Carhenge. I ❤️ oddball roadside attractions, and actually this is some really fine art, IMO. Besides the main Henge, there are other artworks around the site of a similar nature. 

Carhenge1.thumb.jpg.fe8d94e6f80c93afe67106a2220a61bb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 16
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

The early 90's have a lot to answer for in terms of fashions (as do the 80's). I'm not entirely guiltless in that respect as to those decades. Just saying.

I got home today from a three day road trip. I wanted to see Carhenge, which did not disappoint. I found a bargain campground about an hour away, met some nice folks there, and explored other sites. Including the Scottsbluff National Monument and the Agate Fossil Beds National Monument. The exterior of my car picked up quite a load of Nebraska dust, dirt, and bugs - which I've now eliminated at the car wash. It was good to get away for a few days.

The more I travel in my minivan, the more I realize it's okay for short-ish road trips but I don't think I could manage something like two months away in it. It's just too small to "live" in for that long. I've now experienced some very uncomfortable weather while camped in it (high winds, cold and hot temps). It's just claustrophobic to be in there when you can't open the doors and move comfortably in and out of it during the day. Fine for sleeping, though. 

Here's a photo from Carhenge. I ❤️ oddball roadside attractions, and actually this is some really fine art, IMO. Besides the main Henge, there are other artworks around the site of a similar nature. 

Carhenge1.thumb.jpg.fe8d94e6f80c93afe67106a2220a61bb.jpg

much like the cadillacs just outside of amarillo texas (i think it is). they are all spray painted and there are spray cans there at the site for each person to add their own touch. if i knew how to add a photo, i would!

• Like 6

Tales from office life -Someone else on the floor likes PLAIN- siggi yogurt! I almost took their snack on accident! I honestly did.

And what's funnier is that they had berries in a snapware container like mine, with a green lid. This set was gifted to me by my best friend’s mom the Xmas before she died.

Who is this person I want to meet them!

I was saved because I brought Fage today, and I had strawberries & blueberries, they had raspberries and blueberries. But I picked up their food and went “hey???”. Curiosity got the better of me, so I wrote a note and taped it to their snack with my name saying “hello!”

I will be mindful not to take their snack in the future.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 9/4/2022 at 9:14 AM, Jeeves said:

Oh yes, Cadillac Ranch! Thanks for reminding me about it. I need to get there one of these days. 🙂

Are these sights along Route 66?  I've always wanted to check out portions of that highway.  I enjoyed seeing the mid century motels on it in Flagstaff.  I wonder if they are still there as I saw them in the mid 90s.

• Like 1
On 9/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, ChristmasCrafter said:

I am crying because I have to stop reading the Counting On forum due to the fact all the ads I am getting is different versions of 🤡 College s.

I'm probably asking for similar ad abuse so I'll use   clown  but, I have to share that a member of Clown College faculty, a former local pastor was just charged with a dozen felony sexual assault charges.   https://news.yahoo.com/former-eagan-pastor-charged-criminal-193500477.html

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Are these sights along Route 66?  I've always wanted to check out portions of that highway.  I enjoyed seeing the mid century motels on it in Flagstaff.  I wonder if they are still there as I saw them in the mid 90s.

They are along Route 66. We did a long trip from near Chicago to Albuquerque and stopped at a bunch of weird stuff. It was a good way to break up the trip. 

• Love 2

well,  my quilt finally went off to the quilter today. i should have it back in a month or so. then i have to do the binding and thats it!   will be glad to call it finished.   

it is so AWFUL hot here that i am not going to do anything today but chill, watch tv and sit inside. cali is under flex-alerts again today (day#7 i believe) so in 20 minutes i have to shut down all the main energy users (IE:  dont cook/bake, wash clothes or dishwashers, raise up the AC etc)  and sit in my darkened house and just relax.  last i looked it was 110 degrees outside. i just fear the fires.  

• Hugs 9
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, zoomama said:

it is so AWFUL hot here that i am not going to do anything today but chill, watch tv and sit inside. cali is under flex-alerts again today (day#7 i believe) so in 20 minutes i have to shut down all the main energy users (IE:  dont cook/bake, wash clothes or dishwashers, raise up the AC etc)  and sit in my darkened house and just relax.  last i looked it was 110 degrees outside. i just fear the fires.  

I left home to stay with a daughter and her family so we're only cooling one house instead of two.  I'm going home next Monday when we're supposed to be back to close to seasonal temperatures.  At least it's supposed to finally get below 70 at night.  The grandkids are happy to have me here.  I went to the store and bought their favorite breakfast foods.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 4

MORE SMOKE!!  I was hoping that our air would stay clear this summer.  We are now getting smoke from the Mosquito fire in Placer and El Dorado Counties.  My brother and his wife are on a vacation in Tahoe right now, and he said the air is really bad there, too.  Our AQI is usually under 20, and I just received an alert that it is around 315.  The last I heard, there is no containment of the fire.  I have no idea how widespread the smoke is in CA.  This is a different fire than the saw milll in Weed, CA. I think they have that one contained, but I think there was quite a bit of structure loss.   Luckily I bought a large air purifier last year, and have plenty of projects at home, so I can stay inside. But I really hate all this smoke.  At least our temperature will be dropping in the next couple of days.  It should be in the 80's by Sunday.  Heat and smoke.  Ugh.

• Hugs 7
  • Sad 8
8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Southern California gal here. We are getting ash from the Big Bear mountain fire. We were supposed to get a bunch of rain, but so far only sprinkles. 🥲 But at least it’s finally a little cooler.

i am in between the two socal fires and we got the smoke earlier this week. got a little rain but not enough to really help anything. not sure about the ash -- havent been outside yet!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Our AQI is finally down in a reasonable range today, and the temperature has finally dropped.  I actually have the front door open  for a little while.  It is possible that we will have some thunder storms, which can be bad because the lightning can start other fires.  I haven't checked on the Mosquito fire yet today.  Our sky is still a bit hazy, but at least there is no more strong smoke smell.  We had ash falling last year.  That is not fun, and I feel you @zoomama.  Good luck to all my California friends.  I hope you stay safe and have air you can breath.  I hope they can get all these fires contained soon.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3