Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm struggling to decide if it's safe for my kids to go spend the day or an overnight with my parents. My parents haven't been going out or socializing aside from a once a week trip to the grocery store (masks worn correctly, hand sanitize before getting in the car again, following all recommended guidelines, etc). We haven't been going out or socializing, aside from a few routine doctor's appointments (again, masks worn, hand washing, etc). So on one hand, I feel like we've all been so careful about exposure that it's probably fine. But then my anxiety flares and does the "but what if if isn't?" line of thinking. My mom would really love to see the kids. My parents usually take them for a weekend once a month, and haven't seen them since...February? It had already been a little while before the pandemic really hit. They've done video chatting, but that's not the same. I just can't decide and needed to vent that here. 

It is a tough decision.  It's a personal decision that is specific to each situation, imo.  For me, if a person has been self quarantining, plus, practicing hand washing, mask wearing, social distancing, and only going out for short times, AND they are close family members, it makes a difference. I would feel more comfortable under those circumstances.  Of course, there are no guarantees. At first my parent's only great grandchild was visiting on the porch or deck, but, now she's coming inside.  I would be okay with that, but, her parents are not the most diligent with precautions and I don't think they wear masks unless they are at their jobs, which requires it. They don't limit where they go or see at all, have held parties and cookouts at their house over the last month, shop anywhere, etc.  So, I've gotten into it with my mom about this.  She's 79.  She says, she's going to require the parents and grandchild to wear masks inside the house, but, then, she doesn't:(   It's very frustrating.  I think  this has caused rifts in our family that will be difficult to resolve down the road. It's good your family is so diligent.  I wish ours could be that way. 

• Love 11
On 6/30/2020 at 12:39 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Fireworks are illegal here except for one twelve-hour period on 7/4. It’s one of the reasons we moved here from Maine, where a hideous creep of a governor made fireworks legal and our nervous dogs got to deal with them all.summer.long. Also New Year’s eve. Also, for some bizarre reason, Thanksgiving.

So I was sooo happy to move away from that crap only to discover that laws don’t mean squat when they’re not enforced and it’s Armegeddon here every 4th for a week before and after. New Year’s, ditto. Plus random, wall-shaking explosions during most summer weekend nights. Which nicely complements the target shooting practice, often involving semi-automatics...note this is always illegal here. I fucking HATE IT.

Nobody will be sleeping for the next ten days and I have tried every drug and device I can find on this poor dog and nothing works. He’s now 11 1/2 and I just keep hoping he’ll go deaf.

Rant over. Scarlett45, you okay? 

I have been told one of these helps. 506D7DE3-CD7F-408D-A148-756D24D723FC.thumb.jpeg.6f9a3e85bcd2c69d1522059bbacc50f7.jpeg

it is allegedly noise canceling. 

Just now, Mindthinkr said:

10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It wouldn’t let me delete a repost, then I couldn’t do anything except send it that way. Sorry. I was going to say that I don’t know where that last bit in blue came from. 

I was at the grocery today. Our Governor has a mandate that says other than when we are in our homes, we all need to be wearing masks. Well I was very surprised at how many scoff at wearing one and also those that don’t wear them correctly. I have asthma and breathing issues. It’s hard for me to wear one, but I do. For others safety as well as my own. There have been big crowds at the beaches and it is spreading like wildfire here. I stay home. The kitties love me for it and all the attention that they are getting. This is Squeaky. She is a third of her brother’s size, but runs the house. 

C3D25EDE-3A12-4992-BFD7-FFCD74ABF406.thumb.jpeg.66507accb8cc7c7d8f40120b55f4cce7.jpeg

Hi Squeaky! She’s so precious. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi Squeaky! She’s so precious. 

Thank you Scarlett. She is so sweet and loving, but loud. She’s the one who bit the vet tech. I told her 3X to stop trying to cut her nails, as she was 15 and had never had them clipped before. So she got bit. She reported her to the Sheriff’s dept as a dangerous animal. I had to quarantine her for 10 days and a sheriff’s deputy literally came to my house every day to make sure I was keeping her in. He was sneaky too. I never figured out where he hid his car. He also liked to check the litter box to make sure I wasn’t letting her out to do her business. What a waste of tax payers money...well maybe not. When I moved a few years ago off of the island I was told that my area had coyotes. They have never been allowed out since I moved. I love them too much to risk them being on the menu. Yes, I’ve turned into that crazy cat lady lol. 

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thank you Scarlett. She is so sweet and loving, but loud. She’s the one who bit the vet tech. I told her 3X to stop trying to cut her nails, as she was 15 and had never had them clipped before. So she got bit. She reported her to the Sheriff’s dept as a dangerous animal. I had to quarantine her for 10 days and a sheriff’s deputy literally came to my house every day to make sure I was keeping her in. He was sneaky too. I never figured out where he hid his car. He also liked to check the litter box to make sure I wasn’t letting her out to do her business. What a waste of tax payers money...well maybe not. When I moved a few years ago off of the island I was told that my area had coyotes. They have never been allowed out since I moved. I love them too much to risk them being on the menu. Yes, I’ve turned into that crazy cat lady lol. 

Wait- a vet tech accused a cat of being dangerous because it tried to bite her when SHE was trying to cut her nails??? Wtf. 

My cats are indoor only- so I understand. 

• Love 13

I was a vet tech...getting bitten happens. One of the worst was one of the vet’s own cats who had brain damage...and she still managed to bite clear through my thumbnail after I gave her her daily meds.
But even the one bite that sent me to the hospital (120 lb dog whipped around and bit half my lip off with zero warning) didn’t involve reporting him to anyone. Bizarre. Was she not up to date on her rabies vaccine? That’s the only reason I could see a report being made...it’s not like a housecat is going to start stalking and assaulting strangers.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

When I moved a few years ago off of the island I was told that my area had coyotes. 

what island?  curious mind want to know? are you saying you live on a mainland now?

I think I mentioned a few months ago that my 9 yo grandson had a seizure for no known reason and continued to have small seizures in his sleep. He had an EEG yesterday and has been diagnosed with epilepsy. He was having seizures throughout the entire test even though only one of them I recognized as a seizure. This poor kid is on the autism spectrum, has ADHD and oppositional defiance disorder, dyslexia, and a host of emotional and behavioral issue due to instability, neglect, and abuse. 

He's been complaining about headaches since I lost guardianship and he went to live with his mother. We thought it was due to eyesight issues because he's farsighted and refuses to wear his glasses unless he's at school. Now who knows. 

@Nysha, I’m so sorry about your grandson. I hope you are able to still be a part of his life. If my grandparents did not raise I’m sure I would not have made it to adulthood. 

• Love 8

I want to say at the start that I know there are some people who cannot wear masks or it is very hard for them. This is by no means about you.       So our governor ( Texas)  made it a requirement the most everyone had to wear masks in public. I was checking out Facebook and one of my friends posted something about this. Well I started reading the comments ( you would think I would know better than by now but ... nooo.. ) anyway there was the typical comments about liberty being taken away, I wanted to ask .so is it ok if the person making your hamburger doesn't wash his hands because that is his right?, but I was good.  Anyway what I came here to ask is some people said the did not work they filtered 1.33% of particles. I know they are not perfect but does anyone have more info on how good they really are?

• Love 6
(edited)
15 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I want to say at the start that I know there are some people who cannot wear masks or it is very hard for them. This is by no means about you.       So our governor ( Texas)  made it a requirement the most everyone had to wear masks in public. I was checking out Facebook and one of my friends posted something about this. Well I started reading the comments ( you would think I would know better than by now but ... nooo.. ) anyway there was the typical comments about liberty being taken away, I wanted to ask .so is it ok if the person making your hamburger doesn't wash his hands because that is his right?, but I was good.  Anyway what I came here to ask is some people said the did not work they filtered 1.33% of particles. I know they are not perfect but does anyone have more info on how good they really are?

This has some good information of testing various masks.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/wellness/video/face-masks-provide-best-protection-71550321

Edited by Suzn
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

I'm going to kill my dad. He's been playing golf all this time with a group of guys who don't wear masks or social distance on the course. One of the group was just diagnosed with Covid and exposed all of them. Now he and my mom, who just finished chemo last year, just had to get tested. All of these guys are retired doctors who should know better. I'm just furious. This was totally avoidable. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

I think I mentioned a few months ago that my 9 yo grandson had a seizure for no known reason and continued to have small seizures in his sleep. He had an EEG yesterday and has been diagnosed with epilepsy. He was having seizures throughout the entire test even though only one of them I recognized as a seizure. This poor kid is on the autism spectrum, has ADHD and oppositional defiance disorder, dyslexia, and a host of emotional and behavioral issue due to instability, neglect, and abuse. 

He's been complaining about headaches since I lost guardianship and he went to live with his mother. We thought it was due to eyesight issues because he's farsighted and refuses to wear his glasses unless he's at school. Now who knows. 

I’m sorry poor little guy 😞

• Love 4

@crazycatlady58, I really don't understand how wearing a mask during a pandemic is a strike against liberty. People have to wear shoes and shirts in stores and restaurants, stay 20 feet away from doorways when smoking in public, wear seat belts, and a host of other minor inconveniences.  

@emma675, you have a right to be mad. I'm praying your parents don't test positive.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

@crazycatlady58, I really don't understand how wearing a mask during a pandemic is a strike against liberty. People have to wear shoes and shirts in stores and restaurants, stay 20 feet away from doorways when smoking in public, wear seat belts, and a host of other minor inconveniences.  

@emma675, you have a right to be mad. I'm praying your parents don't test positive.

I don't either. I think it just comes down to "I don't want to" which reminds me of a toddler having a tantrum. This is different than the people who cannot wear a mask for different reasons. I keep on saying this because I would think if someone who could not wear a mask and was reading this may feel that I did not understand the difference. I am not judging them.

• Love 6

Well, my mom went back to her house for the weekdays, since she has been comfortable enough with the ladies who come over to help her now that the Covid numbers in Connecticut have been very good over the past few weeks (daily new cases in our neck of the woods have mostly been in the single digits of late). But the one lady who used to come over three days a week never showed up after saying she could resume working. This has actually been a pattern of hers, and she's, honestly, a bit of an odd duck anyway, so Mom left her a message saying, basically, "never mind, I'm finding someone else", and did find another woman through some good friends she has. But this new woman has not been too concerned about social distancing in the house, and, worse, Mom found out that she has, all along, been going to a weekly Bible study with a group, none of whom think that wearing masks when they are together, as none of them have gotten sick yet. Apparently they all more or less practice Covid protocol when out and about, but not knowing them, Mom has no idea to what extent, exactly. I'm really feeling uncomfortable with this now, but the tension had been getting really bad when Mom was here full-time, and I know she is much happier when she can be in her own house, but also cannot manage without some help. I'm pretty confident that the chances of her getting infected at this point are very slim, but still don't trust the numbers not to surge again as more things open up and people become more complacent.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well, my mom went back to her house for the weekdays, since she has been comfortable enough with the ladies who come over to help her now that the Covid numbers in Connecticut have been very good over the past few weeks (daily new cases in our neck of the woods have mostly been in the single digits of late). But the one lady who used to come over three days a week never showed up after saying she could resume working. This has actually been a pattern of hers, and she's, honestly, a bit of an odd duck anyway, so Mom left her a message saying, basically, "never mind, I'm finding someone else", and did find another woman through some good friends she has. But this new woman has not been too concerned about social distancing in the house, and, worse, Mom found out that she has, all along, been going to a weekly Bible study with a group, none of whom think that wearing masks when they are together, as none of them have gotten sick yet. Apparently they all more or less practice Covid protocol when out and about, but not knowing them, Mom has no idea to what extent, exactly. I'm really feeling uncomfortable with this now, but the tension had been getting really bad when Mom was here full-time, and I know she is much happier when she can be in her own house, but also cannot manage without some help. I'm pretty confident that the chances of her getting infected at this point are very slim, but still don't trust the numbers not to surge again as more things open up and people become more complacent.

Can you mom isolate in one room when the church lady helper comes? Or is the helper a PCA? If your mom can isolate, leave a window or two open and then use a disinfectant spray when she leaves, I think it would be safe-ish.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Wearing a mask during a pandemic is no more a strike against liberty than washing your hands after using the bathroom, covering your mouth when you cough or staying home when you are sick.  It is good common sense and without our health, there is no liberty.  Blaming the government for trying to mitigate a global pandemic is like  blaming the government when a snowstorm cancels your plans.  it's an act of God (or force of nature), dumba**!  And, getting smart about this virus and preventing spread NOW is going to make it more likely that we won't have to keep doing this forever.  

Many people seem to be victims of magical thinking: that, if they pretend the virus is no big deal and won't kill them, then they can behave as they wish and it will be ok.  Take a look at Europe where people took the guidelines seriously and a more controlled and careful re-opening occurred.  Most of those countries have seen their numbers plummet to manageable levels while ours have soared.  If some of these nincompoops complaining about their rights and freedom had been able to behave themselves for just a few more weeks, we could be in a much better position now.  

A lot of people also seem to think a vaccine is going to save us all momentarily.  Most optimistic estimate is that it will become available early next year.  That presumes that it is effective and that side effects will be low, which is hard to predict as we are moving much faster than usual for a vaccine. Initially, front line workers will get it, then at-risk people and, finally, the general public.  75% of people will need to be immunized to get to herd immunity and it can take a couple of months for a vaccine to be effective.  Presuming, based on what NYC is seeing, that about 10-15% of people will have natural immunity based on having had the virus, in a country of 300 million people, we will need to get over 200 million people vaccinated before this thing is behind us.  Imagine the cost and logistics involved.  Also imagine our government, based on its chaotic and insufficient response thus far, rising to the occasion and getting this done in anything resembling timely fashion.  Then, put on a mask, keep your distance and wash your dam* hands!

Yes a thousand times.

• Love 6

Plus, there is not going to be 200 million vaccine available. There is already serious discussion on the order of vaccinations, medical personnel will undoubtedly be first but it will probably be a year before everyone that will consent to the vaccination gets it. Not only is Covid-19 going to be with us for some time, there is a new virus that has been described as a cross between H1N1 and the 1918 flu out there. We need to get it together or the cockroaches are going to win.

• Love 9

The natural consequences of not being vaccinated for Covid-19 may solve the anti-vax issue, but unfortunately there is going to be a lot of collateral damage, too. 
Sometimes I feel like running into the street, throwing up my hands, and yelling "We're all gonna die!" repeatedly until this is over.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Don’t forget all the lovely anti vaccine people who will not get the vaccine period. Honestly I’m scared because I’m taking it seriously and others are not. Sigh.

I hear you.  It seems the flood gates opened Memorial Day when a lot of people thought it was OK to have parties & social gather without any precautions.  (My family included.)  It scares me to think about the increases after the 4th of July. 

Stay safe everyone!! 🇺🇸

• Love 13

I am amazingly happy to wear a mask, as of Monday, when I had three biopsies on my face ... the mask covers two of them, making my face much less attention-getting! (Actually, I still don't like it, but I'm doing it because I want to be on the cautious side of the mask-wearing decision.)

• Love 16
On 7/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, GeeGolly said:

I think the Governors and Mayors are very careful not to tell citizens what they should or shouldn't do in their own homes. I think its up to us to listen to the health experts and calculate our own risks. One thing all the experts agree on is, being in an enclosed place for an extended period of time increases the risk of infection, if an infected person is present. Masks will decrease the likelihood of transmission in any scenario. 

Meanwhile the President is attending an event at Mt Rushmore today with thousands of participants - no masks required.

(edited)

I'm hoping that all of you have a nice 4th of July celebration, whatever that entails. 🎆🎇  I'm going to be working on my house as I try to get more done for renovations. But, it will be a nice distraction.  I got the internet turned on and am waiting for my Firestick to arrive. Last weekend I hung out there a while, just relaxing with a glass of wine. It's amazing how much time you have when there's no cable and no internet. lol  I pulled out a turn table record player, if anyone remembers those and played some records!  Albums by The Carpenters, Bee Gees, Osmonds, etc.  lol  Man, it brought back so many memories. 

My dad is having more episodes.  I have scheduled him an appointment with a neurologist.  

I'm waiting on a call from one of my cousins.  She called me Wednesday night and had fever of 100 and body aches. Felt terrible. I said call your doctor!  She got tested yesterday and is waiting on the results. Her doctor thinks it's covid. I'm hoping and praying it's negative. She has health issues. 

I read follow up to Ice-T's FIL.  The wife said her dad took a turn for the worse. Is NOT doing well at all.  She was upset that he had not been wearing a mask.  Two of his sisters also have it.  Apparently, they were not using precautions according to Ice'T's wife. She said she was being super careful, because they have a child. They are in AZ.  She said in the grocery store, people stared at her, because she was the only one with mask and gloves:(     We have to turn this whole thing around.  We must make it totally unacceptable to go maskless. unless, you have a real valid reason.   Oh, there's a big fireworks and speech at Mt.  Rushmore this weekend.  I saw the Sheriff speak last night and says that he feels fine, since, it's outside.  NO MASK required by anyone, including law enforcement and NO social distancing required either.  Poor guy.  Not the brightest bulb.  I honestly don't think he believes covid spreads.  It was that pitiful.  

I'm so grateful for every day that I'm healthy and safe.  Many thoughts of you all this weekend and well wishes for those who are hurting. Take care and stay safe.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 18
47 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Meanwhile the President is attending an event at Mt Rushmore today with thousands of participants - no masks required.

And fireworks. In a drought. Surrounded by forest and only one narrow road out.

What could go wrong?

• Love 6

@AryasMum

I prefer watermelon never enter my house. Regardless of how careful the handler, my kitchen floor always ends up sticky. Keep that shit outside!

This quote from the Jessa thread intrigued me! So I brought it over here. 

I love love love watermelon in a way that embodies all sorts of racial stereotypes😝😝, so I have to know, HOW do you cut, chill, eat and store your watermelon if it never enters the house? Why is your floor sticky?

I just have to know because a summer without my weekly watermelon sounds so sad. I just had a bowl with breakfast. 

Every black family I know was always taught that after the prep of the watermelon you MUST take the rind directly to the alley and wipe down the counters but I have never had a sticky floor. I have seen many of my white friends eat triangle pieces of watermelon with the rind on (like in the picture of Jessa’s kids) and I am intrigued. My Mexican American friends put salt on it. I love knowing how everyone eats watermelon because it’s delicious. 

• Love 10

Cut the rind off and straight into the compost,

The flesh is kept in a glass container in the fridge. 

No sticky floors here either 

😻 watermelon, just wish it was summer and freely available 

I grew two watermelons last summer 😃

• Love 3

When I had kids I would serve it to them just like Jessa & send them outside to eat it. Now, with the grandkids, I cut it into bite-sized cubes and serve it in a bowl to be eaten at the table. I find it's a lot less messy this way.

• Love 4

I didn't realize people cut off the rinds. 🤣

My family always salts their watermelon. They would salt potato chips, truth be told, but it is the only thing I routinely salt. (I use salt when I cook but that's it.)

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Totally said:

Cut the rind off and straight into the compost,

The flesh is kept in a glass container in the fridge. 

No sticky floors here either 

😻 watermelon, just wish it was summer and freely available 

I grew two watermelons last summer 😃

Where in the world do you live?(I know it’s the Southern Hemisphere because it’s winter there😊)

This is what every Black family I know does:

Select watermelon based in sound, white spot, and webbing on root. 

Cut watermelon by breaking down into quarters and eights, cut into cubes. Pieces of rind go into separate trash bag (back in my Mom’s day it was newspaper but now just a separate garbage bag). Cubes go into bowl with lid to be CHILLED in the fridge at least 8 hrs. 

Counter is wiped down, trash bag goes directly to the alley. 

Watermelon is served chilled in a bowl with a fork. 

4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

When I had kids I would serve it to them just like Jessa & send them outside to eat it. Now, with the grandkids, I cut it into bite-sized cubes and serve it in a bowl to be eaten at the table. I find it's a lot less messy this way.

So you do NOT chill it first? 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, zoomama said:

what island?  curious mind want to know? are you saying you live on a mainland now?

Yes I’m on the mainland now. About a quarter mile from the Intracoastal Waterway. I could see the water rising every year. Had I not moved I would have had 3’ of water in my house during hurricane Florence. Went thru that with hurricane Fran. Also the bulkhead didn’t stop the water from rising. I really don’t wish to disclose my location, but it was an island off the coast of NC. I have gained relative safety from flooding (my community was cut off from the town for a week last night one, but my place didn’t flood). Now I have so much more wildlife. Besides the coyotes we have deer, raccoons, opossums, squirrels and many more birds.  

• Love 6

As kids (and my own kids) we'd eat it in small wedge shapes, outside and we would have seed spitting contests. I love the flavor closest to the rind.

My mom always salted hers.

I haven't purchased a watermelon in a couple of years now.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I was a vet tech...getting bitten happens. One of the worst was one of the vet’s own cats who had brain damage...and she still managed to bite clear through my thumbnail after I gave her her daily meds.
But even the one bite that sent me to the hospital (120 lb dog whipped around and bit half my lip off with zero warning) didn’t involve reporting him to anyone. Bizarre. Was she not up to date on her rabies vaccine? That’s the only reason I could see a report being made...it’s not like a housecat is going to start stalking and assaulting strangers.

She was totally up to date on her vaccinations. They were the office that gave her them.

I think the tech just had an attitude problem or didn’t like being told to stop. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Nysha said:

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

As kids (and my own kids) we'd eat it in small wedge shapes, outside and we would have seed spitting contests. I love the flavor closest to the rind.

My mom always salted hers.

I haven't purchased a watermelon in a couple of years now.

The first time I had watermelon served to me in a private home in the wedge shape with the rind on I was an adult and I have to admit I was perplexed.

Of course I took it graciously because I had home training- but I thought “where is my fork?? Why isn’t it cold?” I took a knife and fork and cut it into cubes myself, I then asked for a plastic bag to put the rinds in so they could go to alley. 🤣

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

For me, watermelon is like shrimp.  I can eat ANY WAY you serve it!  YUM.  One of my favorites. It actually brings on a wonderful mood when I eat it.  Sadly, it spikes my blood sugar and I rarely eat it now. Even with extra insulin....it's crazy.  I still splurge at times though.  

• Love 6