Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

If the kids wrote a tell all I think they would pin MEchelle as a checked out mother that was rarely home because they were on the road spreading hate speech. Poor Jordyn she seems completely lost this season. Now that Jill is gone I wonder who is taking care of her and the rest of the girls Jinger or JoylessAnna? 

If Josiah wrote a book it would be about any possible abuse he endured from Boob.

• Love 2

Miss Maisie is doing well. I don't have long to type because dh and I are going to go to a support group meeting for preemie parents, but I wanted to update you. Let's see. Her lungs continue to get stronger. It's odd. The problem that brought us to this campus is turning out to be the least worrisome. She's doing beautifully on nasal cannula. They have her down to 40% and she sats well. She hasn't had any apneas for several days and only two Brady's (slowing of the heart rate). They started giving her caffeine and I find it remarkable that that is that useful. She is doing non-nutritive suckling, but she gets tired very quickly so it'll be a while before she's weaned from her NG tube. I can live with that. Oh! She's been moved to an open isolette. She's keeping her temperature regulated really well.

Our only worry is that it does appear she had a small bleed. Maybe when she had that choking episode, but no one is sure. She has weakness on one side but the doctor and OT soothed my mama bear fears and said that, since it was caught so early, she will probably be normal at two. We have the best OT. He is a huge Game of Thrones fan, so my husband and he have all of these motivational posters around her room with GoT references. The OT has started noticing that she is pushing against us during kangaroo care and so he's recommending some observed tummy time. She is very curious and calm. We thought she hadn't cried much because of the breathing tube, but it seems that's just her nature. She is very fond of music, too.

They'll be doing another MRI tomorrow to look at her brain, but no one anticipates an abnormal finding beyond what we know. She's gained another 3oz. Thanks for the support. Love you guys.

• Love 16

That's so great to hear Wanderwoman!! I had a brain bleed, a grade 3 IVH during my time in the NICU but there's no lasting effects.

I even used to tell my teachers in school that it was the reason I'm so horrible at math! Of course the brain bleed only "affected" the "math" area of my brain.

Miss Maisie is doing well. I don't have long to type because dh and I are going to go to a support group meeting for preemie parents, but I wanted to update you. Let's see. Her lungs continue to get stronger. It's odd. The problem that brought us to this campus is turning out to be the least worrisome. She's doing beautifully on nasal cannula. They have her down to 40% and she sats well. She hasn't had any apneas for several days and only two Brady's (slowing of the heart rate). They started giving her caffeine and I find it remarkable that that is that useful. She is doing non-nutritive suckling, but she gets tired very quickly so it'll be a while before she's weaned from her NG tube. I can live with that. Oh! She's been moved to an open isolette. She's keeping her temperature regulated really well.

Our only worry is that it does appear she had a small bleed. Maybe when she had that choking episode, but no one is sure. She has weakness on one side but the doctor and OT soothed my mama bear fears and said that, since it was caught so early, she will probably be normal at two. We have the best OT. He is a huge Game of Thrones fan, so my husband and he have all of these motivational posters around her room with GoT references. The OT has started noticing that she is pushing against us during kangaroo care and so he's recommending some observed tummy time. She is very curious and calm. We thought she hadn't cried much because of the breathing tube, but it seems that's just her nature. She is very fond of music, too.

They'll be doing another MRI tomorrow to look at her brain, but no one anticipates an abnormal finding beyond what we know. She's gained another 3oz. Thanks for the support. Love you guys.

Thank you for the update on Miss Maisie.  Please be sure to inform the support group  that you have a  entire cyber family supporting you, your husband and Our Litte Miss Maisie.  Thank you for making me day a little brighter.

• Love 3

Great, great news about Maisie!  All good thoughts, and many prayers, for her continued progress. Brian162 beat me to Shakespeare's line a few weeks ago, but it's so true. And it's STILL true. And it pops into my head every time I think about or read about Maisie here - "Though she be but little, she be fierce..."  God bless the whole family. :>)

• Love 2

Yes thank you for the update. I love love love her name and what you have shared with us about her incredible little spirit. I believe in shared positive energy and she certainly is receiving it from all of us here. Keep getting stronger every day little one!

• Love 1

I'm so happy for you, Mr Wander, and Maisie.  I really have appreciated so much the support I have gotten from the cyber community a couple of times when I needed it.  It was better even than support from real people who ask too many questions or hang over you, neither of which I needed.  So please feel the unqualified support.

• Love 4

Miss Maisie is having a good day. Today, we got to put clothes on her for the first time. I never thought I'd be so excited about baby clothes. Lol.

I watched 19kids with Maisies nurse (during her dinner break) and we had an interesting conversation about Josie. I will share later.

• Love 11

Wanderwoman, love Maisie's photo on your profile page. She's simply adorable and has a fighting spirit behind that sweet little face.

Thanks. My husband was really adamant about not putting pics of her online. But, I managed to convince him a user pic was safe. I blurred out her wristband to satisfy him. Lol. Just the first of, we hope, many small debates over parenting our sweet little warrior princess.

By the way, her first outfit? A pink sweetpea gown with little dogs on it. If I had left it to the hubby, she would've worn an "I survived the red wedding" onesie.

Oh! The dish on watching 19kids with our night nurse. She obviously doesn't know Josie Duggar or what care she receives, but she shared our concerns that she didn't really see Josie receive OT, PT, or Speech therapies. She said ALL micropremies are offered services via state and federal programs and that opting out is possible, but not recommended. She brought up the important point that, speech wise, having the constant noise and sing-song-Michelle-speak, on top of Jordyn seeming to be largely non-verbal, probably exacerbated the problem premies face with speech. She seemed to think Josie has fine motor issues because Jill was spoonfeeding a five year old and we never see Josie walking without assistance. She said Josie walks on her toes, too, which reflects neurological delays.

All I know is listening to her concerns lead me down a rabbit hole of worry for Maisie. There are so many potential areas of concern and I don't recall the Duggars really focusing on those needs because, as soon as Josie came home, there was the whole Jubihlee fiasco and trips to foreign countries. It's pretty sad when you realize that the needs of the show and the needs of Michelle probably outweighed Josie's care needs. Maisie is in a far better place than Josie was and we've already been told that the next two years will be a marathon of therapy and pseudo isolation from October to April. Air travel isn't even an option we're told. What angers me, personally, is that the LEARNING Channel had an opportunity to explore and educate us on the struggles prematurity brings...they chose to focus on kid #20 and baptizing kids in a river.

• Love 11

Thanks. My husband was really adamant about not putting pics of her online. But, I managed to convince him a user pic was safe. I blurred out her wristband to satisfy him. Lol. Just the first of, we hope, many small debates over parenting our sweet little warrior princess.

By the way, her first outfit? A pink sweetpea gown with little dogs on it. If I had left it to the hubby, she would've worn an "I survived the red wedding" onesie.

Oh! The dish on watching 19kids with our night nurse. She obviously doesn't know Josie Duggar or what care she receives, but she shared our concerns that she didn't really see Josie receive OT, PT, or Speech therapies. She said ALL micropremies are offered services via state and federal programs and that opting out is possible, but not recommended. She brought up the important point that, speech wise, having the constant noise and sing-song-Michelle-speak, on top of Jordyn seeming to be largely non-verbal, probably exacerbated the problem premies face with speech. She seemed to think Josie has fine motor issues because Jill was spoonfeeding a five year old and we never see Josie walking without assistance. She said Josie walks on her toes, too, which reflects neurological delays.

All I know is listening to her concerns lead me down a rabbit hole of worry for Maisie. There are so many potential areas of concern and I don't recall the Duggars really focusing on those needs because, as soon as Josie came home, there was the whole Jubihlee fiasco and trips to foreign countries. It's pretty sad when you realize that the needs of the show and the needs of Michelle probably outweighed Josie's care needs. Maisie is in a far better place than Josie was and we've already been told that the next two years will be a marathon of therapy and pseudo isolation from October to April. Air travel isn't even an option we're told. What angers me, personally, is that the LEARNING Channel had an opportunity to explore and educate us on the struggles prematurity brings...they chose to focus on kid #20 and baptizing kids in a river.

Our little Maisie is just beautiful . Thank you for brigthening my day

• Love 2

I'm so glad to read the updates on your little Maisie! She sounds like an adorable little trooper.

I'm curious...what is 'kangaroo care?' I don't work with kids, so...I'm just curious.

(I'm a respiratory therapist, but I work with adults, not children....)

(Edit...spelling, I can't spell for crap. Sorry)

Edited by phoenix62
  • Love 1

I'm so glad to read the updates on your little Maisie! She sounds like an adorable little trooper.

I'm curious...what is 'kangaroo care?' I don't work with kids, so...I'm just curious.

(I'm a respiratory therapist, but I work with adults, not children....)

(Edit...spelling, I can't spell for crap. Sorry)

Kangaroo care is a cutesy name for direct skin-to-skin time. The way it works at this hospital is that they have mom or dad strip down from the waist up. Mom or dad sits. Then, they carefully place baby on your chest and wrap both of you in warmed blankets. We have a reclining chair in Maisies cubicle, so we generally sit there. Then, they dim the lights and give you privacy. According to the neonatologist, just this simple act has profound positive impacts on premature infants. Your skin is just the right temperature and helps baby's brain learn how to self regulate. When you exhale, you emit carbon dioxide, which triggers the deep breathing response in a preemie. The baby's heart rate even starts normalizing to match your rate of respiration and pulse. It's fascinating. The skin-to-skin contact also promotes the exchange of good, normal bacteria and causes parent sand child to bond. It's very relaxing and special.

Miss Maisie is moving up to the feeder/grower NICU! It's one step towards home. She is still getting supplemental oxygen, but her sats have been fantastic. The OT and PT came in today and said, once we move to the step up NICU, we will start trying to nipple feed or breastfeed. She will still have the NG tube, but they're going to see how well her feeding reflexes are. I never really thought about the complexities and coordination required for eating.

• Love 13

I never post in these forums, but I do lurk around in them. 

Wanderwoman, very belated congratulations, and I'm soooo happy to hear about the improvements! My cousin's name is Maisie so I heartily approve of the name. I've been giving her books from this series since she was born. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileen_Paterson

My thoughts are with you and your dh, and of course, with wee little Maisie. I have every confidence that she will thrive in your loving care. 

• Love 2

Wanderwoman, so glad Maisie is doing better! She's adorable!  I'm so glad you two (actually three) are together.  Maisie is going to have many adventures and I'm sure you and Wanderman will be great guides. 

• Love 1