Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I was watching the today show on DVR while making dinner, so I wasn't paying attention. Matt introduced the next segment with "Jean, Joy, Jill & Jenna". I thought the Duggars were going to be making another appearance but that was just their 4 "lifestyle experts".

Ah, the 700 Club. It's like a car wreck--I'm horrified, but I can't look away.  True story: a close friend of my family married Pat Robertson's granddaughter a couple of years ago. So when he's making the rounds at Christmas, our friend gets to hang out with the old guy who publicly blamed Katrina on the gays. I get short of breath just thinking about it.

I take a lot of glee in how ABC Family has completely revamped its network, and like to imagine Pat Robertson seething at all the evil gay people stinking up what used to be his channel. "A new kind of family" indeed.

A lot of Korean-Americans are Christian. I grew up going to church, but my mom really only took us because it was a convenient way to connect with the Korean community. Today we're mostly non-religious, but my grandmother and one of my aunts are really devout. They're the only ones, though. 

Just wanted to let those who have praying and thinking of us know that our little girl was born today at 30-31 weeks. 30w1day by my last period, but her measurements were more on tap with a 31 weeker.

Maisie Aine (pronounced Awn-ya) born January 25 at 5:37 pm. 3 lbs, 6oz.

• Love 18

Just wanted to let those who have praying and thinking of us know that our little girl was born today at 30-31 weeks. 30w1day by my last period, but her measurements were more on tap with a 31 weeker.

Blessing on you and your family today, wanderwoman. I love her name. 

Welcome, Maisie Aine !! Congratulations and all the best!

Congratulations, wanderwoman!  Hoping all goes as smoothly as possible and you get to cuddle your little girl at home very soon.  Great name.

• Love 1

Thank you! Maisie made it through her first 24 hours and that, apparently, improves her long term odds. She was at 90% already, so we weren't too worried. I am worried about other disabilities. I've been thinking about how very lucky the Duggars got with Josie. I may regret saying this, but I'm speechless when I think of how cavalier they were with her health and development given her gestational age. I spoke with the neonatologist and be gave me this long list of how Maisie can be affected by her prematurity. It's scary and all I can think about is how I would live in a bubble and do as many hours of therapy as it took to give her a positive outcome. I don't know. I have not slept yet so I'm rambling. Thank you for the congratulations. She lost a little weight when they weighed her today - 3lbs, 2oz. Oh! She was 13.5" long. She's on cPap, but not tubed.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 6

Wanderwoman, I always felt the same way with how nonchalant they have been regarding Josie.

I was born at 24 weeks gestation in 1987. I was in a NICU until after my original due date (April 1st). Came home on April 16th. According to my mom I had Early Intervention, OT/PT etc. My doctors told my mom that I would respond to black & white things & to read to me all the time & she actually labeled everything around the house when I was young (2-3), like a refrigerator sign on the fridge etc. I started reading at 3 & still love it to this day. I'm sure it helped with my development.

I have no difficulties now at 27 although I am very introverted & have some sensory issues (hate loud noises, can't tolerate certain textures (oatmeal, bread pudding etc) don't like doctors, I'm not really a "hugger" or overly affectionate, like "totally" Jill LOL) I'm a reader, love books above all else. I'm also very intelligent with 2 bachelors degrees & almost a masters from an Ivy (UPenn). Have friends, a great job, live alone in a big city, have a dog etc.

The future is even brighter for Maisie, I'm sure!

Edited by jb0495
  • Love 8

Wander- if I may be personal a moment. My son was born a over a week late, full term. He was special needs and required a lot of extra effort. He's now in college and doing great, by the way. My daughter was born at 36 weeks, which isn't that early, but was also IUGR for the second half of the pregnancy. Other than a small speech issue, she seems fine.

Prematurity is a scary issue, and no one should do more right now than offer you some hugs. Doctors mean well, but sometimes their information can be more terrifying than helpful in the short term. Tomorrow will take care of itself and she will be the beautiful child she's supposed to be all in good time!

• Love 2

In response to Derick and his family views when it comes to a life threatening illness.

In my way of thinking, I think the bacteria or infection in my husband's body causing his kidneys to shut down were the evil beings. I do not think the devil and the heathens of the world thought they would take down my husband's mind, body, and soul by making him so ill he was given two weeks to live at the time of diagnosis.

Bigskygirl, are you saying that fundamentalists or just the Duggers or who really believes the devil did it?  I have some Pentecostal relatives who pray about everything, but sure do avail themselves of medical care.  It seems impossible for e to believe that people really, deep down, think it is factual that the devil did it.  Now that's some scary stuff to me.  I mean they may say it, but really believe it was really and truly a devil.

• Love 1

Congrats, wanderwoman! Love the name Maisie.

dr's have to give you "what if''s to protect themselves.

Then there are idiot dr's like the ped who told me my ds3 (born full term, over 8 lbs BTW) would probably never talk or progress past where he was at age 4, which was about the equivalent of an 18 mo old. Uh, you were WRONG, stupid dr! He's talking & reading & has some regular classes now in 2nd grade. He does things on his own time but he gets there.

Don't worry about it now, but if you need therapies they do work wonders.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

Wanderwoman, I always felt the same way with how nonchalant they have been regarding Josie.

I was born at 24 weeks gestation in 1987. I was in a NICU until after my original due date (April 1st). Came home on April 16th. According to my mom I had Early Intervention, OT/PT etc. My doctors told my mom that I would respond to black & white things & to read to me all the time & she actually labeled everything around the house when I was young (2-3), like a refrigerator sign on the fridge etc. I started reading at 3 & still love it to this day. I'm sure it helped with my development.

I have no difficulties now at 27 although I am very introverted & have some sensory issues (hate loud noises, can't tolerate certain textures (oatmeal, bread pudding etc) don't like doctors, I'm not really a "hugger" or overly affectionate, like "totally" Jill LOL) I'm a reader, love books above all else. I'm also very intelligent with 2 bachelors degrees & almost a masters from an Ivy (UPenn). Have friends, a great job, live alone in a big city, have a dog etc.

The future is even brighter for Maisie, I'm sure!

You sound very much like me, though I was born at something more like 31 weeks. But that was in 1959, and the survival rates for preemies was much lower then (I had a twin who did not make it). The technology is, as you say, getting better all the time, and it sounds as though Maisie is off to  great start and there is every chance she will go on to have no issues whatsoever. I wonder whether preemies, on the whole, tend to be more introverted and sensitive than others...if so, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

• Love 2

As Mrs Jumbo said, the Drs. have to tell you the "what ifs" for fear of a law suit. After working over 25 years in medical offices, I understand where the Drs are coming from. Even the recording you first get when you call a medical facility ("if this is a medical emergency please hang up & call 911") was put into place to protect the Drs. So if someone is having a heart attack he is told to call 911 for help , rather than wait 3 minutes to reach a person, causing himself more harm & possibly death by waiting.

I'm not siding with the Drs but it's a sad world we live in when almost anything we do or say can be turned into a lawsuit. When I worked in the OB/Gyn office, some of the Drs. stopped delivering babies or could only see a pregnant woman until she was 12 weeks along cuz the malpractice insurance was so high.

I feel for & understand where the posters are coming from when the Dr tells you negatively what could happen with your child. But it sounds like your children have proved them wrong & good for them :)

• Love 1

The OB/neonatal malpractice issues are ridiculous. There is the right to sue them 21 years after the birth. It's obvious that some issues may not show themselves immediately, but if I'm on a jury it's going to be pretty difficult to convince me that this case is worth bringing forward after reasonable periods of time. (And I'm the wife of an attorney - I'm supposed to be pro trials!)

• Love 2

GEML - thankfully there are lawyers, like your husband, when needed. A very close family member (a non-smoker) was misdiagnosed when throat cancer involved. He won his case & is now cancer free but still has to live a life with barely a voice. It's just those skeazy lawyers on TV that want every one to sue for every little thing that drives me nuts.

Edited by Barb23

Thank you for all of the first hand stories. It helps to read that some of you were where Maisie is and grew up healthy and strong. I'm sorry to turn this thread into Maisie Central. If it's outside the intent of the forum, just let me know.

Today was an up-and-down day. They did a test and said her hearing looks good. Since it was "good enough", they won't have to test it again. ?? This is my first baby so I'm not sure how many times a term baby would be tested. I asked about vision and they said we have a ways to go before that is testable. She had an MRI today to check for brain bleeds because one of the residents THOUGHT she should have a baseline scan. The actual neonatologist wasn't happy because she de-satted during the transfer down to radiology. I was worried because they had sedated her a little. But, the neonatologist reamed the resident for moving her unnecessarily. I don't think he will be doing that again. No brain bleeds, so that was good! The bad news is that every time she is moved for ANYTHING, she has Bradys(?). Her heart slows we lay down and her oxygen saturation drops. The doctor has ordered her moved to a private cubicle and out of the step up NICU until she can tolerate stimulation better. It's hard seeing her with the littlest babies but then I remember her twin and I'm grateful she's as big as she is.

I slept a few hours today. They gave me a small dose of sedation. I am trying to pump and failing. I'm no Michelle (dairy cow with freezers full of milk). I got about a half ounce earlier.

Her weight was the same as yesterday, which they seemed happy about. I haven't held her yet. But, the nurse said I might be able to help change her tomorrow. I can't wait.

• Love 6

Every child, including preemies, will reach the best they can be physically, emotionally, spiritually when they have someone in their corner. No doubt Maisie has that. Sounds like she is well on her way to a life full of love, happiness, and good health.

• Love 4

Maisie - I breastfed my son, but chose formula for my daughter. Both are very healthy children. Make the decision YOU need to make for you and your daughter, not decisions you are pressured into by either side.

And yes, take something mild to help you sleep if necessary. She needs you rested! :)

• Love 5

Congratulations! I wish your beautiful little girl a long and happy life!

• Love 1

Maisie - I breastfed my son, but chose formula for my daughter. Both are very healthy children. Make the decision YOU need to make for you and your daughter, not decisions you are pressured into by either side.

And yes, take something mild to help you sleep if necessary. She needs you rested! :)

I did my best as far as breast feeding, but with varied results. My first son had a slack muscle in his lower lip when he was born and had trouble latching on and I wasn't very well informed about pumps, but managed to nurse for about 4 months. My daughter slept through the night at a week and a half (I was so scared to even look in the bassinette when I woke up in the morning), and my system decided I was done & shut down production. No engorgement or anything...it just quit. My younger son, I think I nursed for about 3 months, but since the others had thrived on formula, I guess I was less motivated by that time. They have all gone on to be healthy, strong and very intelligent adults.

• Love 2

Every child, including preemies, will reach the best they can be physically, emotionally, spiritually when they have someone in their corner. No doubt Maisie has that. Sounds like she is well on her way to a life full of love, happiness, and good health.

You have said what so many poster  could not. thank you

• Love 1

Just want to add my congratulations wanderwoman and mention that I was born weighing just a little over 3 lbs back in 1951.  No fancy nicu's, just an incubator, a lot of good care, and prayers.  I did just fine.  Slight speech impediment solved with therapy, and an strong aversion to math :-)   Will keep Maisie and you in my prayers.

• Love 1

Congratulations Wanderwoman. Just take good care of yourself, get some rest. I'm so glad everything is ok so far and will  hope for the best for you. Hope you are able to hold her  and get a good nights sleep soon.

I hope no one minds of I use this as my journal until I can get online at home.

Day 3: I woke up after 8am so I missed morning rounds and that made me feel bad. The chief radiologist so no evidence of brain bleeds yesterday. But, around 3am, Maisie started having Brady's (slow heart beat) and seemed to be in discomfort. A CT showed that her lungs were sticky and weren't inflating well. So, she got a dose of steroid and a surfactant replacement. Within an hour, she was calm and her rates stabilized. She is so tiny and precious. While I was downstairs getting a juice smoothie, my husband told the nurse our relatives were having a hard time imagining her size. This lovely nurse name Tipkum asked for my husband's wedding ring and sterilized it. She also put her sterile ruler in and told hubby to take a quick picture. It's adorable. This afternoon, a occupational therapist brought in a machine that places womb noises and they upped the warmer one degree. Maisie relaxed. :)

• Love 6

wanderwoman I'm glad to hear she's doing well. Girl preemies do tend to do better than boy preemies for some reason (black girl preemies actually do the best). So she's got that on her side! It sounds like she's being taken care of well. I volunteered as a teenager in a hospital and the NICU nurses were so good and very dedicated. They understood how the parents felt and tried their best to offer whatever comfort they could to both the parents and the babies.

• Love 1

I weighed just over a pound when I was born; around 630 grams. My mom has many pictures of her wedding rings on my thigh! She also put a ball point pen & a tennis ball next to my leg/head for comparison. Once she was able to see & touch me, she put pictures of my family (her, my dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) along the outside of the isolette but facing in towards me. I think she sat with me for hours & told me stories. The doctors said having something to focus on & hear would help my development.

I was given surfactant as an experimental clinical trial so we've come far even in 27 years! Maisie will continue to do well I'm sure!

Edited by jb0495
  • Love 3

Wanderwoman, our first born was born with a cleft palate. CP kids usually have other ENT issues as well so they did that hearing test when she was a few weeks. We also got the good enough diagnosis too. So frustrating. But she never had any hearing issues. Our second baby in utero had spots in her brain they were t sure if tumors or cancer. She also had fluid around her brain and heart. And a spot at the bottom of her bottom heart chamber. . I went to two different hospitals and they even squished me in an MRI (scary, luckily baby slept through it so it was quick) to confirm it wasn't a machine issue. It was nerve wraking to say the least. I had to go to the hospital every three days to do a stress test and 3D u/s. I was given steroids and told to be ready to deliver at any time. If any of her issues for worst they were going to deliver the next day. I made it to 39 weeks. The did a brain u/s, no spots! Later they did a heart echo and they gave her max anesthesia but she still would not sleep. It was scary because her vitals were not what was expected. I'm rambling. Sorry. The CP surgery was at 10.5 months and she would not come our of anesthesia. Bottom line- lots of scary times with both girls - we were told to prepare for the worst. However they are 16 and 6 now and none of their early issues had any affect long term. Every once in awhile a relative or friend will ask "remember when...." in regards to their early health issues. Those times seems like a lifetime away. I pray the same for you. I pray all of Maisies issues are short term and she is stable and completely healthy soon.

• Love 4

Miss Maisie, as everyone is calling her, had a pretty good day. Being in that private room, on top if the enclosed obsolete, seems to be keeping her calm. She only had two bradycardic episodes all day and both were easily remedied. They had put the breathing tube in with her sticky lung issue, but she was breathing against it earlier today, so they turned it down to a supportive, rather than sustaining, level. If she is doing well tomorrow, they'll go back to cpap Saturday. I took a few ideas from you guys and used them. I put pictures up of dh and I, and the grandparents. My husband couldn't resist an opportunity to put a picture of Arya Stark, from Game of Thrones, on the floor of her warmer, since...yes, he voted for Maisie because the actresses' name is Maisie, too. Weirdo. There's a male NICU nurse who is bromancing my husband and says "Maisie needs a direwolf beanie baby!" So, if anyone knows where we can buy a stuffed direwolf...

I'm ok. I just want to hold her. Milk is starting to come in and they're talking about adding a bit to her ng tube very soon. I didn't realise nursing wouldn't be an option for at least two weeks. I actually have a lot of sympathy for Michelle and Jim Bob. Josie was way smaller than Maisie. And, at the same time, I can't fathom some of the risks they took and how easily they said they wanted #20 after going through this. It's just so hard to imagine doing this again and I only have one!

• Love 8

I looked up dire wolves for you also, wanderwoman. I think Nymeria & Shaggy Dog are adorable in the links posted & could serve as her first "teddy bear"! I still have my cousin's teddy bear he "gave" me when I was born because I needed it more than him.

Talking about things in the isolette --Long time ago my mom crocheted a baby afghan I gave to a coworker as a shower gift. My mom loves to crochet & her beautiful baby afghans became her "signature" baby gift & recipients couldn't wait to get one. My coworker's baby girl came early & when she was deciding what to put in her baby's isolette, she chose my mom's afghan over others she received. My mom was so surprised & happy & hoped, in a little way, her afghan had helped the baby. The baby is now in her 30's with no problems from her early birth.

Keep up the good work Miss Maisie. I, too, have enjoyed reading about the origin of her name.

• Love 2

Congratulations Wanderwoman - and of course Daddy W as well!  Proud-as-punch Grandparents too!  Love your little one's old-fashioned name. Hope everyone is home and healthy very very soon...  God bless.

• Love 1

Congrats, wanderwoman! Love the name Maisie.

dr's have to give you "what if''s to protect themselves.

Then there are idiot dr's like the ped who told me my ds3 (born full term, over 8 lbs BTW) would probably never talk or progress past where he was at age 4, which was about the equivalent of an 18 mo old. Uh, you were WRONG, stupid dr! He's talking & reading & has some regular classes now in 2nd grade. He does things on his own time but he gets there.

Don't worry about it now, but if you need therapies they do work wonders.

Forewarned is forearmed. I'm glad the medical staff is preparing and informing you for what MAY happen in the future. They are not trying to frighten you, and it certainly doesn't mean any of it WILL happen. But I know I'd rather know and have the opportunity to prepare and intervene, than be surprised and unable to prevent anything. I'd be far angier about NOT being informed of something I could possibly prevent.

• Love 1