Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Well, the wind is howling and it is pouring rain.  According to the forecast, we will be getting rain and some snow for the next two weeks.  Not only do we have weather warnings, but now flood warnings, too. I hope not too many people will have floods or mud slides. I think my neighborhood should be ok. All this snow and rain after the forest fires the last 2 years is not a  good situation, however.  I had to run some errands after my dentist appointment this morning, and I arrived home about 10 minutes before the rain started.  It is really coming down.  Tomorrow is garbage day, and I had to put my can out tonight.  I hope it is still there in the morning.  I don't want to have to go all over the neighborhood looking for it.  The wind is pretty strong.  This has been a long, long winter.  It seems like I have been stuck in the house forever.  I'm glad I don't have any reason to go out, but it would be nice to be in the sunshine sometime.  As long as my power stays on, I will be okay.  I have plenty of cat food on hand, so no worries.

• Hugs 15

We have snow, a few inches, anyway. It's all fresh and pretty for now. It looks really wet, but I haven't been out in it yet. It will be the first time driving in the snow with our new car when we take our granddaughter to school this morning. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
23 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Very true - daughter recently took college students to small museum to plan projects. They were shown all kinds of things in the archives that could be possible sources of topics and info. But the diaries, picture captions, documents, etc, were all in cursive and only a few students could read any of them.

The majority of the students believe all things cursive will be readable/translatable with AI soon, so they were not worried at all about not knowing how to read cursive.

It seems the older Duggar kids all learned some form of cursive by writing out scripture passages. Not saying they learned it well.

Also, Michelle Duggar's non cursive signature with the ❤️ dotting the i has been seen on legal documents going back many years. 😂

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

On of the reasons is most if not all historical documents are in cursive. Would someone be able to read them? ( I am not going all conspiracy theory here) I have a few young people tell me they did not learn how to write in cursive and cannot read anything written in cursive.  It is good to be able to read historical documents written in your language. 

The cursive found in historical documents is not the same as the cursive that I learned back in the 80s.  Reading those historical documents is still difficult when you can read and write 20th century cursive.  There were a lot of variants of cursive being used depending on where and when the documents originated. Writing implements have changed and the pen and ink used in historical documents does affect their readability.  Then there's the age of the documents and how they were stored.  There are a lot of factors that can make the handwriting of the past look unreadable to modern eyes and the knowledge of cursive or lack of said knowledge is not always a factor in being able to read them.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

brought over from Jill & Derick thread:

I worked in a pharmacy for about four years back in the early 80's. We did everything by hand, from typing out the labels (on a big ol', black typewriter of the sort which was completely obsolete even back then) to having all the prescriptions in filing cabinets, and recording all the new prescriptions and refills by hand in log books. I got really good at deciphering doctor's handwriting, and could almost always figure out the medication and dosage correctly, even sometimes better than the pharmacist. Of course, we would call the office to verify if there was any question at all, but, as I said, it would far more often than not turn out that I was right. I actually loved doing everything that way, and when, a few years later I got a job at another pharmacy where everything was computerized, I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it. 

As far as the issue of kids being taught cursive, my three were still taught that at school, but I have seen all their "signatures", and they are all just a squiggle with no real resemblance to letters. My youngest is 33, and I was just visiting him in the past few days. He was showing me a note of appreciation written by one of his superiors in the Marine Corps. Mostly he has kept it because while the guy who wrote it had good things to say he also called him by a completely different name 😄

Anyway, we were talking about it because it's written in cursive, and my son was saying that anyone even a couple of years younger than he is seems to have no clue as to how to read cursive. Seems kind of odd to me, as most of the individual letters are close enough to their printed counterparts that one should be able to make out enough of it to at least get the basic gist, but apparently they really cannot read it. 

My handwriting has always been pretty bad, which also seems weird to me, as I have excellent eye-hand coordination when it comes to drawing things in great detail, yet I scrawl when I write. Must go through some completely different part of the brain.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The cursive found in historical documents is not the same as the cursive that I learned back in the 80s.  Reading those historical documents is still difficult when you can read and write 20th century cursive.  There were a lot of variants of cursive being used depending on where and when the documents originated. Writing implements have changed and the pen and ink used in historical documents does affect their readability.  Then there's the age of the documents and how they were stored.  There are a lot of factors that can make the handwriting of the past look unreadable to modern eyes and the knowledge of cursive or lack of said knowledge is not always a factor in being able to read them.

This is true but you can puzzle it out if you wish. I will admit it gives me a headache but I can read a lot of the historical documents,  Declaration of Independence ect. I am not saying it is either good or bad not to be able to read or write cursive just responding to why some people think it is a good idea.

• Like 4

A few years ago I was working with the USO on care packages for deployed service members.  One of the things they were looking for was cards with hand written notes for their "unattached" service members, those that did not have a partner, children, or other family that regularly kept in touch with them while deployed.  They had to specify that you couldn't use cursive writing because most of the intended recipients were young enough that they would be unable to read it if you did. 

When I was in HS way back in the dark ages, I had a teacher with a teaching method where she would slowly reveal each point on an overhead projector and we were expected to copy it down.  She didn't really expand on the points, they were the instruction.  She wasn't even writing them in real time, she just had a paper covering the parts she didn't want you reading yet.  It was so boring and slow that despite having horrid handwriting, I started writing it in very neat, flowery cursive to slow myself down.  In doing so, I realized that writing in cursive that way I was using the artistic/drawing part of my brain instead of my language part (it was a horrible boring class, so there was plenty of time for reflection).  I was essentially drawing the letters instead of writing the words.  

The only knowledge I have about how the brain integrates different skills and functions is a single college course on the psychology of human memory (in other words none), but I do wonder if there is a subset of students that are missing out on brain development by not linking art and language, either through decorative writing like cursive and calligraphy or art like painting letters.

• Like 13
  • Useful 4
11 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I can’t write and barely can read cursive. Not good.

At least I can tell time on analog watch!

I tend to have problems telling time whether it's analog or digital. I think it's got something to do with my difficulty in telling left from right. I get it correct about 80% of the time, but, even if I am paying attention, there are times that I think carefully about which is which and still manage to get it wrong. And the same things happen with time, especially when it's quarter to, or quarter past the hour. I'll look at it, and whether it's a matter of geometry or numerals, I'll just interpret it backwards. I have no hint of dyslexia, and can read with good speed and accuracy, but shapes, numbers and directions tend to thwart me. Weird. I'd guess probably most of us have our own little glitches in the way our minds work, though.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1

My kids are 23 and 18, and they can both figure out how to read cursive.  But they don't know how to write in it except for signatures.  I had to force them to learn that much.  I'm 45 and never choose to write in cursive except my signature.  But I still know how to read and write in cursive.  

And I'm a nurse at an assisted living and when the doctor or nurse practitioner come in for rounds, they write their orders in cursive still.  And then we enter them in the patient's computerized records.  I guess the doctor's don't want to take the time to learn each facility's computer program.

• Like 5

Back when I taught face-to-face college classes, I told students they had to print their names on tests because I couldn't read their signatures.  That's because most of them were squiggles that seemed to have no relation to letters in English.  My last name has turned into a F-squiggle over the years, but I only use my signature when required to; otherwise I print.

• Like 3

Most contracts these days ask for electronic signatures. I think cursive will die out. We spent so much time learning it in elementary school back in the dark ages, but now it really doesn't come up much. I never liked my handwriting, but it is legible. My parents both had beautiful handwriting. I usually print out thoughts on greeting cards, then sign my name in cursive. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

brought over from Jill & Derick thread:

...Seems kind of odd to me, as most of the individual letters are close enough to their printed counterparts that one should be able to make out enough of it to at least get the basic gist, but apparently they really cannot read it. 

That's what I don't get. Maybe it's a case of they can't read bad handwriting but if they saw A+ penmanship they could read it.

5 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

My parents both had beautiful handwriting. I usually print out thoughts on greeting cards, then sign my name in cursive. 

That's what I do. It minimizes the chance of not liking my writing on the card. Still, with Christmas cards, I still tear up a few of them.

• Like 3

GEES!  deleted my comment. not used to the laptop. i said i agreed regarding the cursive. mine is awful and i mostly print. . also, being a lefty was tough, when learning in the very early 60's.

also, i am currently sitting in a trailer (pulled by a truck) in my sons driveway in texas. its my first experience and hasnt been all fun. lost power twice, once at 2:30 a.m. and it was freezing cold. had to wait till 10:30 in the morning for my son to wake and show me the breakers to turn on the power again. also, there is a leak in the roof somewhere and we have had lots of rain. so i wake up to water on the floor. i think it is tied to the heating system. the owner of the trailer is out of state and i dont have a phone number to call him. the good news is it  is affordable, beautiful, new and very comfortable and has no animals inside it, which cannot be said for my sons place or my daughters! 

just caved in and turned on the heater -i was freezing again. 

• Hugs 11

I write my weekly meal planning lists (one column of what produce I have, one of dishes to make) in cursive but for some reason tend to print when I fill out paper forms. I am part of a D&D group (well more than one but this is about one) that plays via Zoom every Sunday (from two cities in CA, one in IN, and NYC) and I take notes about what happens in the game in cursive--so that's a minimum of five hours a week of writing in cursive. I dictate them to my husband after each session, he writes it up, I edit it, and he sends it to the group. We started this during the pandemic. Yes, we're nerds and it may not be the typical retirement activity but it suits us. We've essentially collaborated on a book over the last few years.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I write my weekly meal planning lists (one column of what produce I have, one of dishes to make) in cursive but for some reason tend to print when I fill out paper forms. I am part of a D&D group (well more than one but this is about one) that plays via Zoom every Sunday (from two cities in CA, one in IN, and NYC) and I take notes about what happens in the game in cursive--so that's a minimum of five hours a week of writing in cursive. I dictate them to my husband after each session, he writes it up, I edit it, and he sends it to the group. We started this during the pandemic. Yes, we're nerds and it may not be the typical retirement activity but it suits us. We've essentially collaborated on a book over the last few years.

I love that. Mr lookeyloo plays similar type game on Skype I think and when he is leading he types page after page of story. His handwriting is neither printing nor cursive. He once wrote me a love letter I couldn't understand. I have taken to writing in cursive to people and I record my dreams in cursive.  In guess the world is moving forward or maybe sideways. 

• Like 8

I'm 33 and know how to write in cursive and read it, but I tend to only use it for handwritten notes, like get well cards, sympathy cards, birthday cards, etc. I always admired people who had lovely penmanship, but mine is shit in cursive or print. That's not an exaggeration or poor self-esteem talking. I have been banned from handwriting memos at multiple jobs. LOLOL The one guy I wrote love letters to in cursive told me tactfully that deciphering my handwriting was a brainteaser. On the bright side, nobody ever has to ask if I wrote it. They may not know what it says, but they always know it was me. 😂

It's faster for me to print, so I print and the world suffers just about as much as if I'd written in cursive. I'm also a lefty who was switched, which I doubt helps. 

I hadn't realized they'd stopped teaching cursive for kids until I had a coworker a few years ago whose teen son couldn't read birthday cards from his great-grandmother because they were in cursive. It was like a foreign language for him. I've heard that they're teaching it again in my district, but I'm not sure how much time they actually spend on it. I have noticed a lot of our teen patrons at the library also do not know how to read our analog clock. They frequently ask the staff what time it is. It's not that they don't see the clock. It's just that they can't read it. 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2

Cursive may be making a comeback.  It's taught in second and third grade at the grandkids' school.  I deliberately send cards with notes in cursive for them to practice reading it.  If nothing else the kids have actual cursive signatures and know how to form all the letters.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I'm 33 and know how to write in cursive and read it, but I tend to only use it for handwritten notes, like get well cards, sympathy cards, birthday cards, etc. I always admired people who had lovely penmanship, but mine is shit in cursive or print. That's not an exaggeration or poor self-esteem talking. I have been banned from handwriting memos at multiple jobs. LOLOL The one guy I wrote love letters to in cursive told me tactfully that deciphering my handwriting was a brainteaser. On the bright side, nobody ever has to ask if I wrote it. They may not know what it says, but they always know it was me. 😂

It's faster for me to print, so I print and the world suffers just about as much as if I'd written in cursive. I'm also a lefty who was switched, which I doubt helps. 

I hadn't realized they'd stopped teaching cursive for kids until I had a coworker a few years ago whose teen son couldn't read birthday cards from his great-grandmother because they were in cursive. It was like a foreign language for him. I've heard that they're teaching it again in my district, but I'm not sure how much time they actually spend on it. I have noticed a lot of our teen patrons at the library also do not know how to read our analog clock. They frequently ask the staff what time it is. It's not that they don't see the clock. It's just that they can't read it. 

The value of writing in cursive and reading analog clocks can be debated, but I am absolutely certain that the loss of knowledge and skills is not a good thing.  Technology is wonderful and helps us in so many ways but there is a point at which our dependency cripples us.  People seem to be getting more helpless.

• Like 13

I recently had reason to look into some accents.  I generally find them fascinating.  I found this site and thought I’d post it.  It’s interesting that my own accent is more like someone from an adjacent state and not the one I grew up in.  (The link is for North America, but you can back up on it and get accents from around the world.)

https://www.dialectsarchive.com/united-states-of-america

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Oh my gosh, people. I'm sitting here breathing deeply and calming myself. This morning I finished reading a book that was very hard - and heartbreaking - to read, and impossible to put down. Still feeling kind of raw. The book is Tears of the Silenced - a memoir by Misty Griffin. 

TRIGGER WARNING: the book depicts her childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood which was a never-ending waking nightmare of abuse of all kinds, isolation, and subjugation. The good news, is that she got out at age 24 and has made a good life for herself. 

I've tried to write a few more paras here, but deleted them. Let's just say I'm not a fan of the Amish today. Not that I ever was a fan of any separatist religious group - from the Amish to the Gothardites -  but it's going to take awhile to process this. At least, at my age, "processing" will probably be a matter of forgetting a lot of it. Sigh. 

I'm upset, but really okay. Thanks for letting me vent. 

• Hugs 21
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh my gosh, people. I'm sitting here breathing deeply and calming myself. This morning I finished reading a book that was very hard - and heartbreaking - to read, and impossible to put down. Still feeling kind of raw. The book is Tears of the Silenced - a memoir by Misty Griffin. 

TRIGGER WARNING: the book depicts her childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood which was a never-ending waking nightmare of abuse of all kinds, isolation, and subjugation. The good news, is that she got out at age 24 and has made a good life for herself. 

I've tried to write a few more paras here, but deleted them. Let's just say I'm not a fan of the Amish today. Not that I ever was a fan of any separatist religious group - from the Amish to the Gothardites -  but it's going to take awhile to process this. At least, at my age, "processing" will probably be a matter of forgetting a lot of it. Sigh. 

I'm upset, but really okay. Thanks for letting me vent. 

@Jeeves, I'm so sorry that book upset you. It's really good that the subject of the book is having a good life and that she escaped her upbringing. Sometimes a story really stays with me too. I find myself crying over circumstances others have faced.

Some books that were hard for me to read were Glass Castle and Educated. Very upsetting treatment of children.

You can vent here anytime. It sounds like a powerful book, but I think I'll pass on it myself. Please take care. You are a treasured poster!

Edited by BetyBee
Too much detail. Sorry!
  • Like 7
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 3

Oh, gosh. Thank you all for the virtual hugs, and @BetyBee and @realityfan26 for the comments and support. I'm well over my heightened emotional state, and I so much appreciate the support here.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to look at the Peacock original two-part documentary, Sins of the Amish. Misty Griffin, the author of that book, appears in it. I wasn't sure about it, thought I might not want to finish it. And, I watched both episodes. It was informative, heavy in places, infuriating, and yet positive. Left me with hope that things may be changing in favor of all those victimized children and women. But, slowly. Definitely NOT light entertainment, of course. 

I'll drop this here instead of one of the specific Counting On topics. The documentary says that the Amish publish sex education materials for the Amish and Mennonite communities. At about 6:37 into Episode 1, Mary (one of the featured survivors) holds a booklet from that source titled "To A Girl of Eleven." At about 7:40 she reads a few paragraphs from the booklet. It could have been written by Bill Gothard (or he probably swiped it from the Amish, lol). It tells the 11-year-old girl that her teenaged brother is subject to temptation, and she must guard her modesty around him. She must be properly covered up, be sure her bedroom door is closed, etc. I'm paraphrasing the final statement, but it's to the effect that her poor brother, if he encounters her not properly covered, may succumb to his lust - and she MUST PROTECT HIM from that. 

Same old sh*t, different details.

Okay, despite moments of anger etc., my day ended on a good note. I built a sleeping platform for the back of my newly purchased minivan. Its floor level drops a few inches in front of the back area where the third row seats are stored. I tried a couple of cots, but they were too tall so I didn't have enough headroom, or just - weird. I found a video from a woman I follow on YouTube who travels/camps in a Grand Caravan - showing how she built a simple platform from a 2' x 4' piece of plywood and some 2 by 4s. It fills in the lower area of the floor to level it out. I got the materials, all precut, at Home Depot this weekend. Went out to the car to figure out how best to put mine together. Brought all the stuff up here to my condo and assembled it on my living room floor.  Thank you, cordless drill. 

And, the platform works. The genius part is that although it's kind of heavy, I can easily take that 2' x 4' platform out of the car and store it up here in the condo. The mattress is 25" x 75". No way I could handle a platform of that size. The platform my cuz built for the old Honda minivan was in two parts latched together. I could detach the front part and remove it if I needed to use the second row seats.

I'm not about to hit the road and camp anytime soon, but was anxious to resolve the sleeping situation in the minivan. It feels so GOOD to have that done and dusted.

Have a good day, everyone.

Edited by Jeeves
Spelling
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

There’s a recent academy award nominated film called Women Talking about Amish women. It’s based on a 2018 novel by the same name.  The trailer looks impressive, but too intense for me right now.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

There’s a recent academy award nominated film called Women Talking about Amish women. It’s based on a 2018 novel by the same name.  The trailer looks impressive, but too intense for me right now.  

It is based on a true story of events that occurred in a Mennonite colony in Bolivia which makes it all the more disturbing.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

And, the platform works. The genius part is that although it's kind of heavy, I can easily take that 2' x 4' platform out of the car and store it up here in the condo. The mattress is 25" x 75". No way I could handle a platform of that size. The platform my cuz built for the old Honda minivan was in two parts latched together. I could detach the front part and remove it if I needed to use the second row seats.

I would love to see a picture of this!

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, skatelady said:

I would love to see a picture of this!

Here ya go. The platform itself and with the mattress on top. Located behind the driver's seat. The sheet's tight and causes the mattress to pull up at the ends just a bit. it's not absolutely 100% leveled out, very close - enough for sleeping comfort. Sorry for the extra stuff in the photos. 

Platform2.thumb.jpg.f790ee9843fb3912fca384e0d1b7a123.jpg

Platform3.thumb.jpg.a6c4b9fac066f727dd840455be497de0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@Jeeves, I'm so sorry that book upset you. It's really good that the subject of the book is having a good life and that she escaped her upbringing. Sometimes a story really stays with me too. I find myself crying over circumstances others have faced.

Some books that were hard for me to read were Glass Castle and Educated. Very upsetting treatment of children.

You can vent here anytime. It sounds like a powerful book, but I think I'll pass on it myself. Please take care. You are a treasured poster!

A friend of mine that also has left the church we were in has recommended Educated.   I’ve been out for years but only seriously deconstructing since about 2020.  Lots of alone time to think 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 8
On 2/24/2023 at 1:40 PM, ginger90 said:

Oh and hives and rashes are now a covid symptom. No respiratory along with it. We’ve had a lot of kids with hives and rashes. Localized or full body. Nothing else and it’s covid 

I'm going to have my son take a covid test, he has a new rash that the doctor said was eczema. Can you suddenly develop eczema at 30?

29 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I'm going to have my son take a covid test, he has a new rash that the doctor said was eczema. Can you suddenly develop eczema at 30?

I know you can develop contact dermatitis at any age.  My skin will react depending on the weather or water or a new skincare product/laundry detergent.  

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I developed eczema in my 50s. It stinks!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
28 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know you can develop contact dermatitis at any age.  My skin will react depending on the weather or water or a new skincare product/laundry detergent.  

A couple of months ago, Mr. Kitty developed a wicked rash. Urgent care diagnosed it as contact dermatitis and told him to buy some Zyrtec and another allergy med you have to pick up at the pharmacy. Rash went away, hasn't returned, and I haven't gotten Covid, so I think he was correctly diagnosed. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Here ya go. The platform itself and with the mattress on top. Located behind the driver's seat. The sheet's tight and causes the mattress to pull up at the ends just a bit. it's not absolutely 100% leveled out, very close - enough for sleeping comfort. Sorry for the extra stuff in the photos. 

Platform2.thumb.jpg.f790ee9843fb3912fca384e0d1b7a123.jpg

Platform3.thumb.jpg.a6c4b9fac066f727dd840455be497de0.jpg

Very clever! I was wondering how you were able to carry the plywood platform, but I see now that it's not as big as a bed. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm in my early 40s and developed it last summer. I completely agree. It stinks!

For me, it started with a small itchy patch on my stomach, soon after I started working at my last job. I always hoped it was the building somehow affecting me. But I retired 4 years ago and I'm still having outbreaks. That was just a small hope that died. I do wonder if environment is a factor. There are so many small children, even babies who have eczema. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 4
12 hours ago, skatelady said:

Very clever! I was wondering how you were able to carry the plywood platform, but I see now that it's not as big as a bed. 

Thanks. Yes, a 2 ft by 4 ft platform is something I can handle without too much trouble, but one that's more than 6 ft long? Nope. The platform I made is a little heavy for me to carry very far, but I have a little handcart that does that work for me. As a condo dweller I don't have private garage space so I have to take everything [on the elevator] up to my condo once it's out of the car. 

Yesterday I went out to Cherry Creek State Park to get my annual state park pass transferred from the old car to the new one. With apologies to those who are hunkered down under any of the crazy storms that have been pounding the country - it was a gorgeous mild day here. Harbinger of spring (but no worries, March is historically our snowiest month - we'll get some snow tonight and tomorrow). I meandered around the park and snapped this view looking northwest toward the mountains across the reservoir. Took this cell phone photo which doesn't do it justice but suggests how nice it was. Also grabbed a little digital camera I keep in the car and took photos. But the camera's stowed away in the car and for now I'll just share this one. Those little dark rectangles between the mountains and the water are tall buildings in Denver. 

Cityscape1.thumb.jpg.5bb5efac3e70c9701f5d3fab45221b43.jpg

• Like 16
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, BetyBee said:

For me, it started with a small itchy patch on my stomach, soon after I started working at my last job. I always hoped it was the building somehow affecting me. But I retired 4 years ago and I'm still having outbreaks. That was just a small hope that died. I do wonder if environment is a factor. There are so many small children, even babies who have eczema. 

Oh, that stinks. It might be environmental. My deromotologist is going to do the allergy test to see if it might explains the eczema. Mine started on my arms and I thought my skin was just really dry which it usually was from all my medical issues and medications but lotions didn't work. When I scrapped it off and it came back I realized it was something else. I also had it on my upper left thigh and right side of my stomach.  Why not both thighs or stomach I don't know. I've tried two different creams but it keeps coming back. I keep my hands gloved and my arms wrapped in medical qauze. I'm sure I look like a weirdo when I go to doctor's appointments.  But eczema is gross.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 4
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, that stinks. It might be environmental. My deromotologist is going to do the allergy test to see if it might explains the eczema. Mine started on my arms and I thought my skin was just really dry which it usually was from all my medical issues and medications but lotions didn't work. When I scrapped it off and it came back I realized it was something else. I also had it on my upper left thigh and right side of my stomach.  Why not both thighs or stomach I don't know. I've tried two different creams but it keeps coming back. I keep my hands gloved and my arms wrapped in medical qauze. I'm sure I look like a weirdo when I go to doctor's appointments.  But eczema is gross.

I don't see any logic to where it appears. My biggest issues have been on my right elbow and left hip. Those are kind of in remission now and I've recently had some issues on my face, which was my biggest fear. I think I have that under control for now. I'll ask about the allergy test at my next skin check appointment. If I could cut out some food and have relief, I would do it gladly! Even if it's coffee or chocolate!

• Hugs 6