Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I would give a portable charging block.  I have a couple of the Halo brand and I always have one in my car.  It is kind of like the Swiss Army knife of chargers.  It has regular plugs so you can plug in a radio or lamp, USB ports to charge your phone, it will jump start your car, put air in a flat tire, it has a flashlight and an emergency light, and I think there is a flasher.  It comes with its own jumper cable and the storage bag has the instructions printed on it. I don't have one in front of me, but I'm guessing it is about 8 inches x4 inches x 2 inches, so very compact.  They hold a charge for over a year.  I have given them as gifts, and I like knowing I have it in the car all the time.  I have used it to jump start my car a couple of times.  There may be other brands out there, but I have been very happy with my Halo.---They are also handy in the house during a power failure.

is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Vehicle-Starter-Compressor-Digital/dp/B0B52K15VY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26HV31XPXTKQT&keywords=halo+bolt+air+car+jump+starter+%26+air+compressor&qid=1677641756&sprefix=halo+%2Caps%2C277&sr=8-4

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Jeeves they got this- it was my understanding that a camper is what hitched to the back of an automobile where an RV is like a bus you live in, and a motor home is like a van you live in, is that correct? (An RV and a motor home drive themselves)

You're not wrong to call their trailer a "camper," but that term also gets used for other kinds of vehicles. After delving into the subject (I now call it my "pandemic project") for a few years, I've learned some of the terminology. That's why I wasn't sure what kind of vehicle or trailer you meant by "camper."  I'll share some info that gets deeper into the weeds than most people (including me) ever need to go.

First, as to the trailers. I think that for most people the terms "camping trailer" and "travel trailer" are interchangeable. However, if you're shopping for one, there's a difference, as this article explains: http://bit.ly/3mjmCiH. Essentially, camping trailers are engineered for off-grid excursions into nature, while travel trailers offer more of the comforts of home. Your friends have a travel trailer. (Looks like a nice one!) It has hookups for water and electricity service at campgrounds. Of course they can use it without those hookups, but for more than a night or two they'd need to go easy on using electrical appliances, lights, etc., and figure out a power source (solar is BIG in the nomad/travel camping world). (ETA: OTOH many trailers and RVs come with gas powered generators for those off-grid situations. Noisy and annoying and it's poor camping etiquette to run them all night if anyone else is nearby.)

Your friend's trailer is on the modest end of the scale although IMO a sensible size. These days there's quite a range of sizes. At the far end are huge trailers of the "fifth wheel" type. Fifth wheels have a gooseneck which fits into a mount in the bed of a pickup or 3/4 ton truck, vs. the "tow behind" type of trailer that your friend has. 

Then there are the self-contained and self-powered RVs. I've never figured out how they assigned the letters to the different classes; as you can see they aren't logical. In decreasing order of size:

• Class A: the biggest class of RVs. These are the ones that look like, and may be as big as, a bus. 
  • Class C: the medium sized RVs. 
  • Class B: the smallest RVs, built on the bodies of full-sized vans. Professionally manufactured RVs have onboard fresh water, gray water, and black water tanks, an electrical system, plumbing, kitchen counter with sink, a fridge/freezer, a stove, and a mini bathroom. These days there are small businesses doing custom conversions on regular off-the-assembly line vans, that usually don't include all those bells and whistles. The Class Bs and conversions are often called "campervans."

Here's an article which gets into some of the details though a little light on the Class B info: https://www.curbed.com/article/rv-class-comparison-travel-trailer-camper-van-guide.html

As to what to get your friend. Often the beds in travel trailers are smaller than the typical bed sizes, so that regular sized fitted sheets don't fit well. If you could find the size of the mattresses, you could shop for bedding to fit. 

Also, for use indoors or outdoors at their campsites, how about solar powered lights? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Luci Lights! I have two. Deflated, they are like fat little pancakes you can set on the dashboard to charge as you drive. Then you just fiddle with the valve, pull them open and close the plug. Push the power button. And you have light - with a choice of brightness. Also, the manufacturer says they carry out initiatives in developing countries to provide solar powered lighting to underserved communities which is a plus IMO. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

You're not wrong to call their trailer a "camper," but that term also gets used for other kinds of vehicles. After delving into the subject (I now call it my "pandemic project") for a few years, I've learned some of the terminology. That's why I wasn't sure what kind of vehicle or trailer you meant by "camper."  I'll share some info that gets deeper into the weeds than most people (including me) ever need to go.

First, as to the trailers. I think that for most people the terms "camping trailer" and "travel trailer" are interchangeable. However, if you're shopping for one, there's a difference, as this article explains: http://bit.ly/3mjmCiH. Essentially, camping trailers are engineered for off-grid excursions into nature, while travel trailers offer more of the comforts of home. Your friends have a travel trailer. (Looks like a nice one!) It has hookups for water and electricity service at campgrounds. Of course they can use it without those hookups, but for more than a night or two they'd need to go easy on using electrical appliances, lights, etc., and figure out a power source (solar is BIG in the nomad/travel camping world). (ETA: OTOH many trailers and RVs come with gas powered generators for those off-grid situations. Noisy and annoying and it's poor camping etiquette to run them all night if anyone else is nearby.)

Your friend's trailer is on the modest end of the scale although IMO a sensible size. These days there's quite a range of sizes. At the far end are huge trailers of the "fifth wheel" type. Fifth wheels have a gooseneck which fits into a mount in the bed of a pickup or 3/4 ton truck, vs. the "tow behind" type of trailer that your friend has. 

Then there are the self-contained and self-powered RVs. I've never figured out how they assigned the letters to the different classes; as you can see they aren't logical. In decreasing order of size:

• Class A: the biggest class of RVs. These are the ones that look like, and may be as big as, a bus. 
  • Class C: the medium sized RVs. 
  • Class B: the smallest RVs, built on the bodies of full-sized vans. Professionally manufactured RVs have onboard fresh water, gray water, and black water tanks, an electrical system, plumbing, kitchen counter with sink, a fridge/freezer, a stove, and a mini bathroom. These days there are small businesses doing custom conversions on regular off-the-assembly line vans, that usually don't include all those bells and whistles. The Class Bs and conversions are often called "campervans."

Here's an article which gets into some of the details though a little light on the Class B info: https://www.curbed.com/article/rv-class-comparison-travel-trailer-camper-van-guide.html

As to what to get your friend. Often the beds in travel trailers are smaller than the typical bed sizes, so that regular sized fitted sheets don't fit well. If you could find the size of the mattresses, you could shop for bedding to fit. 

Also, for use indoors or outdoors at their campsites, how about solar powered lights? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Luci Lights! I have two. Deflated, they are like fat little pancakes you can set on the dashboard to charge as you drive. Then you just fiddle with the valve, pull them open and close the plug. Push the power button. And you have light - with a choice of brightness. Also, the manufacturer says they carry out initiatives in developing countries to provide solar powered lighting to underserved communities which is a plus IMO. 

Thank you this is so helpful!

• Like 3
(edited)

@Scarlett45My granddaughter's other grandparents have a camper and I know they keep a stash of kids toys and games in it for when my son's family camps (tent) near them. Because it stays in the camper, it's a special occasion when they play with them. They might like a small basket of toys or crafts. Coloring books and crayons, sticker book, magic ink book, small portable games, sand toys. Or you could go the food route and get them s'more supples for the campfire. 

Edited by realityfan26
  • Like 10

When I was a kid, my grandparents (well, my grandfather, mainly) converted an old school bus into a "camping vehicle".  I don't remember it having any power in it, such as a stove or refrigeration.  They took me along on a trip from CA to Iowa, and I remember sitting in the stairway by the door and watching the scenery as we drove.  As I remember, it was a fun trip, but there was nothing fancy about it.  Betsey the Bus was retired, and my grandparents bought a small Winnebago camper. I think it was an improvement over the school bus, but I never traveled in it.  I was watching some home makeover-type show, and two women bought an old bus.  It was a total wreck, complete with bullet holes in the side.  It was absolutely beautiful when the show finished with it.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Thanks @Jeeves for the Luci Lite recommendation. We have a mini van we are planning on camping in occasionally and this light looks like a good option. Do you take a battery pack with you? We have a small fan we’re planning on running at night, trying to figure out what kind of battery/charging thing is best. We used to have a Class B van but it was destroyed in a fire (no one was hurt). There was a lot we liked about camping and we decided to give mini van camping a try this summer.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

@Scarlett45My granddaughter's other grandparents have a camper and I know they keep a stash of kids toys and games in it for when my son's family camps (tent) near them. Because it stays in the camper, it's a special occasion when they play with them. They might like a small basket of toys or crafts. Coloring books and crayons, sticker book, magic ink book, small portable games, sand toys. Or you could go the food route and get them s'more supples for the campfire. 

The special toys route is a good idea. Her son is a big animal lover (he’s obsessed with Cosmo and loves to get videos and pictures of him), so maybe something animal themed. 

• Like 5

What a time to be alive in Southern California! I went in the garage and was there no longer than three minutes. Come back in the house and is very dark,   not like when I left. Then I heard it, freaking hail and I was on my way to pick up SGirl. I got pelted really good getting to the car.

SGirl texted and told me the teachers gave up and told the kids to go out, have fun, but be careful. My risk averse daughter decided to stay in the classroom and watch. I told her it’ll be years before she will experience this type of weather, to go and be 15. Nah, she’s good. 

This is the child who does indoor rock climbing and is upset about the safety restraints, will happily spar in karate with kids twice her size, and had no problem learning to shoot a 9 millimeter at 11 years old. But hail? Nope, that crosses the line of safety comfort for her. 😂 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

Years ago, we had not had rain for about 7 years in CA.  I was teaching in a 1st grade classroom when the sky suddenly opened up and we had a downpour.  The kids were scared, and I realized that most of them had never actually seen rain.  We went out on the covered sidewalk, and it was fun to see their amazement that water was falling from the sky.  They were sticking their hands and arms in the rain, and were very excited.  

In the late 70's we had real snow in the Central Valley.  I was teaching Kindergarten, and I let the kids go out on the lawn in front of the school and play in the snow.  They had so much fun.  It has not snowed in that area since.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Years ago, we had not had rain for about 7 years in CA.  I was teaching in a 1st grade classroom when the sky suddenly opened up and we had a downpour.  The kids were scared, and I realized that most of them had never actually seen rain.  We went out on the covered sidewalk, and it was fun to see their amazement that water was falling from the sky.  They were sticking their hands and arms in the rain, and were very excited.  

In the late 70's we had real snow in the Central Valley.  I was teaching Kindergarten, and I let the kids go out on the lawn in front of the school and play in the snow.  They had so much fun.  It has not snowed in that area since.

How fortunate your kids were to have you for their teacher!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

We lived in south Louisiana a long time.  One autumn during hurricane season the grands and parents came to visit.  And a hurricane targeted us.  They were so excited to live through it.  I told them that when it hit we would lose power including air conditioning and TV and we had an electric stove and sterno just does so much.  but, they were still excited.  Sure enough along comes the hurricane and by some stroke of good fortune we never lost power or TV!! Amazing.  Wind whirling, trees shaking, etc.  The two youngest ones wanted to go outside when the eye was overhead and it was sort of calm. They collected acorns. The youngest wore a diaper, a T shirt, boots and insisted upon a hat! We gave him an LSU knit hat with a pompom.  He was quite the sight.  He and his sister, the middle child, were out there until the wind picked up and they wanted to take the acorns home, which were rotten by the time they got home.  They were scheduled to leave in a day or two but the airline called and said the last plane out was that night, so they had to leave then or stay til it was over. They left and it was uneventful but kids still remember it was a wonderful adventure.  good thing the power stayed on.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
(edited)

Sorry to interrupt the camping/weather convo (which is fascinating only because I'm a city girl!), but if anyone has a subscription to the seasonal Walmart beauty box, please check your bank statements.  They raised the price to $6.98 and now charge tax, which makes it $7.40 for me.  No joke, they charged my debit card $739.88 for the spring box.  I already contacted the bank to dispute the charge, and I had to reach out to them on social media.  I got back a PM that started "We apologize for the inconvenience...".  WTF!?  To say I'm livid is an understatement.  They claim they have people working on it, and the funds will be returned within 5-10 business days.  They did give me an email address if I had further questions--customercare@brandshare.us .  

Edited by sixlets
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

No rain for seven years???!!!! Wow. Forgive my ignorance, I knew rain was rare in certain areas of the southwestern USA, but I wouldn’t think seven years!(more like seven months)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

No rain for seven years???!!!! Wow. Forgive my ignorance, I knew rain was rare in certain areas of the southwestern USA, but I wouldn’t think seven years!(more like seven months)

California has had years with very little or no rain, and then a winter where there is flooding.  Several years of drought has happened several times.  Rain during the summer months is almost unheard of.  If there should be a slight rain one day in the summer--which may happen every few years--you see people wearing their heavy winter coats because if it raining, it must be winter.  I was talking about all the rain there had been in Iowa one summer, and some people were surprised that there were places that it rained in the summer. (Obviously not people who travel much) Years with no rain California is a real thing.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I found out from my neighbor's niece that she broke her pelvis. She left the hospital to go to rehab yesterday. They asked me to continue picking up her mail, packages and newspapers. Her daughter will return on Friday from out of town. I know she and her daughter have been talking about assisted living and my neighbor is less resistant to the idea than in the past. I suspect that might be the decision they make. Her unit is like mine, 2 bathrooms and a bedroom on the first floor, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom on the 2nd floor. She rarely goes upstairs anymore, so she has been living comfortably on the first floor, but it's the living alone part that has become difficult for her. She's lonely. She doesn't even do in person church anymore. It's hard for her because she's a sociable person. We'll see what happens. I'm relieved that she's alive! She's a trouper! Thanks Small Talkers, for all of the input. It really helped. 

• Like 13
  • Hugs 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Thanks @Jeeves for the Luci Lite recommendation. We have a mini van we are planning on camping in occasionally and this light looks like a good option. Do you take a battery pack with you? We have a small fan we’re planning on running at night, trying to figure out what kind of battery/charging thing is best. We used to have a Class B van but it was destroyed in a fire (no one was hurt). There was a lot we liked about camping and we decided to give mini van camping a try this summer.

I hope you have fun camping! I have a Jackery Explorer Power Station (actually I have two) and a Jackery portable solar panel. Jackery was a pioneer in this tech, and I've had mine for ~3 years. Other manufacturers have now entered that market and are giving Jackery competition. I've heard good things about Bluetti, and I know there are more out there now whose names I can't remember. There's quite a range of "sizes" of those power stations, so you can find something that will be sufficient for your own needs.

I have the Jackery 1000 and after I'd had it awhile I got a steal of a deal on a Jackery 300 on Amazon. I have a 12volt refrigerator, and have camped for a week with no electrical hookup; the 1000 + solar charging panels kept it going. The 300 is great for fans, laptops, phone chargers - things that don't draw so much power. My Jackery power stations charge from regular household plugins, 12 volt (vehicle) plugs, or their solar panels. I've used all three methods. I've used them during a power outage here in my condo for lights, phone charging, etc. One thing to remember, is that it's best not to just let them sit for months on end. I hook up a laptop to one of my power stations every month or so, to draw it down from 100% to maybe 70%, then charge it up again. 

There are small fans with built-in batteries that can be charged up via a USB cable. I haven't used them but several people who camp in vans and minivans have said good things about them. They're on my Amazon wish list for further consideration. 

@BetyBee, I'm glad you got an update on your neighbor, and it's good of you to help out with the mail etc. for now. She does sound fragile and I hope she can get situated in assisted living eventually if that's what's best for her. Good to know her family is in touch and her daughter will be there.

Day before yesterday I had the second injection of the shingles vaccine. I didn't have a reaction to the first one, maybe a little soreness at the injection site for a day. But this one is kicking my butt a bit. The CDC's information statement on the vaccine lists some reaction risks. I have most of them - not severe, but I was very tired and uncomfortable by yesterday evening.  Sore arm, fatigue, headache, slight fever, mild nausea, muscle pain, a bit of shivering. The CDC says that the symptoms usually go away on their own in 2 to 3 days. I hope they do!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the battery advice @Jeeves it’s always good to hear from people who have used different products in real life. We’re going on our first camping trip in new vehicle in a few weeks, should be interesting!

• Like 4

@BetyBeeYour neighbor is lucky to have you.  I hope her recovery goes well.

I got a call from our bank today asking for more info about the Walmart debacle.  She told me she would work on it today and contact them for more info, but when she went into the account, the money had already been refunded in full.  Even though I'm still pissed, I'm sort of impressed with how it was handled.  The charge cleared 2/28, and the refund was completed 3/1.  This better be a good beauty box!!

• Like 10
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@BetyBee, I'm glad you got an update on your neighbor, and it's good of you to help out with the mail etc. for now. She does sound fragile and I hope she can get situated in assisted living eventually if that's what's best for her. Good to know her family is in touch and her daughter will be there.

Day before yesterday I had the second injection of the shingles vaccine. I didn't have a reaction to the first one, maybe a little soreness at the injection site for a day. But this one is kicking my butt a bit. The CDC's information statement on the vaccine lists some reaction risks. I have most of them - not severe, but I was very tired and uncomfortable by yesterday evening.  Sore arm, fatigue, headache, slight fever, mild nausea, muscle pain, a bit of shivering. The CDC says that the symptoms usually go away on their own in 2 to 3 days. I hope they do!

Wanted to chime in to add my kudos for @BetyBee. Your neighbor is lucky to have you.

And yeah, both doses of the shingles shot kicked my butt but I figure it's better than the alternative. My side effects just lasted like 24 hours (other than the sore arm)--hope you feel better soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 2/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, Jeeves said:

Bringing this over from the Lonely J's discussion.

Omigosh, you rock! I'm also sort of a London Underground geek who has finally begun to also use the buses in London. [I not only have an Oyster card, I kept a printout of how much money remains it after my last trip. Heh.]

My next UK trip is coming up in just over 3 months. My last visit was in November 2018, and I'm looking forward to being there again. (I plan to take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to my hotel because it's the most direct way, so will have to experience the new Elizabeth Line later.) I confess that I've been on Tfl.gov.uk using the trip planner already, as I'm playing around with ideas for some of my London adventures - three months from now, LOL. 

I watched part of that NOVA episode, and need to finish it up. The engineering and construction involved in that project was amazing. 

Oh, I love London and the tube.  I have taken the Piccadilly line (to Cockfosters) from the airport to Russell Square, where we stayed at the Hotel Russell (which is no longer the same).

My last trip was May 2018, at the time of the Megan/Harry wedding.  I got a couple of great souvenirs.  The streets were decorated all over.  We got to watch the wedding without having to wake up early! 

• Like 12
16 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

How many of you call your partner hunk in real life?

Hunk as in he is so attractive! Has nothing to do with weight.

It's been my experience that women who need to proclaim their great love on SM, are actually not that happy with their spouses. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

It's been my experience that women who need to proclaim their great love on SM, are actually not that happy with their spouses. 

Mine too. In my experience, the amount of gushing posts is a direct inverse of happiness. All my friends with complete assholes for husbands post about them on social media like they're saints among men. One of my friends who's been in an emotionally abusive relationship for over 10 years continually refers to her husband as "magical" on social media. He's not magical. He tells you that your little sister's hair is prettier than yours and makes you read love poems he writes about other women. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 5

quoting @Snow Fairy from the Joy and Austin thread above. 

SO- a few weeks ago I was in line to buy pastries, and it was cold, windy and unpleasant (as usual in chicago for February) and I couldn’t help admiring the pregnant woman in front of me who looked so toasty in this very warm coat. And the coat was so cute, and she was PREGNANT. 

So I had to ask her “what type of coat is this? You look so warm and it fits so well.” She was so proud and she said that it was a Mackage coat, and that was her usual size, but it zipped up/down the sides to accommodate her belly and she didn’t have to size up or get another coat!! And she had it from before the pregnancy. I couldn’t help but recommend this coat to my friends that might have more children because 1. It was EXPENSIVE, but if you want several kids and end up heavily pregnant in the winter it’s a savings, 2. You can wear it through many sizes (postpartum etc depending on how your weight changes)- given I spent this winter half freezing and borrowing outwear from my Mom because of my weight loss I was impressed!

So yes I agree with you @Snow Fairyif someone plans on having several children it makes sense to invest in good maternity wear that fits and is weather appropriate. 

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I bought my daughter one of those coats so she could be comfortable while pregnant and she still has it and wears it occasionally.  

That’s great! It was cute too. Given where I live (and especially since I have Cosmo) a winter coat is an investment. Speaking of Cosmo, he’s getting older, he has a new white spot on his forehead. 

AF886AA2-2832-44BD-82F6-960A0AFAF288.jpeg

• Hugs 9
  • Love 9

Cosmo is a handsome guy! 

I'm having a thrilling day cleaning my oven. I've been putting that task off. It's self-cleaning, but you have to do all that prep for the best outcome. It's a cheap range, left by the previous owners, so I'm not all that invested, just hoping for the best. Robot vacuum is also making the rounds, so I feel like I'm accomplishing something today from the comfort of my recliner!

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

We have so many anglophiles here, I thought you all might enjoy this charming video 

I love JOLLY videos, particularly when Josh & Ollie visit Savannah, GA, and discover the glories of Southern Fried Chicken with Santana Hannah from Savannah.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

You're welcome.  Another one I really like is when they visit a Waffle House in the wee hours of the morning, and their host is really loaded on something.

That is the correct way to experience Waffle House.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That is the correct way to experience Waffle House.  

As we don't have any Waffle Houses in the upper Midwest, my experience has been limited.  My last time I had breakfast at the normal time, and as I was in Virginia, I ordered ham along with my waffle.  It was excellent-Easter dinner-worthy.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

As we don't have any Waffle Houses in the upper Midwest, my experience has been limited.  My last time I had breakfast at the normal time, and as I was in Virginia, I ordered ham along with my waffle.  It was excellent-Easter dinner-worthy.

The appeal of Waffle House is the show that may or may not accompany your meal.  The odds increase exponentially for that show as the sun goes down.  And the late night staff at a Waffle House is a special group of people that you need to meet at least once in your life.  Those servers are the sweetest people who will call your drunk ass darlin, sweetie, sugar, honey, etc. until they are called upon, then they can cut a bitch and will.  

• Like 6
  • LOL 13

Having lived in Florida for around 15 years, the Waffle House Index is definitely a thing.  And it's always good to eat at the bar facing the cooking area; if you've got a fun group of workers, it's quite the show even without drunks.

There was a video a while ago where a fight at the Waffle House got to the chair-throwing stage, and a petite female worker just batted away a thrown chair like a ninja.  You gotta be tough to work at Waffle House.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

Beyond the intriguing people watching at Waffle House, I'm always fascinated by the Waffle House Index informally used for storms. Basically if they actually close, it's a legitimate sign that shit has indeed hit the fan. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/accuweather-ready/what-is-the-waffle-house-index/667995

There was a storm that blew through the Wilmington NC area a couple of years ago, and due to some local bureaucratic nonsense those WHs became hurricane shelters for the unhoused population in the area.  The official hurricane shelters were requiring government issue ID for entry and turned away who knows how many people.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1

This ad popped up in my Facebook feed. As you might expect, the comments are all about the cat.

"I'll take 2 cats, please."

"Does every order include a cat?"

"But there's no food in that order that a cat would eat." And the reply to that: "The cat wants the box, doesn't care what's taken out of it."

A few people were uncomfortable with the possibility that a grocery order included a cat. Or that the cat was on the table. 

It was an ad; I took this screenshot. I went to the Imperfect Foods FB page and scrolled down the feed but didn't see it so I can't do a link. Anyway, it provided a laugh this evening and that's all good. My theory is that the cat placed the order so their hooman would have more time to spend on getting the cat's food.

Screenshot2023-03-09at6_50_19PM.thumb.png.873a32512e5b8a8586f53ee254635687.png

• LOL 12
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

"Does every order include a cat?"

"But there's no food in that order that a cat would eat." And the reply to that: "The cat wants the box, doesn't care what's taken out of it.nyway, it provided a laugh this evening and that's all good. My theory is that the cat placed the order so their hooman would have more time to spend on getting the cat's food.

Screenshot2023-03-09at6_50_19PM.thumb.png.873a32512e5b8a8586f53ee254635687.png

That's so cute!

On a side note about cats, remember when I adopted those 3 cats back in August when their owner died?

Having gone from having no cats to having three all at once put a huge strain on my relationship with my husband.

He was not happy I took in 3 cats without even consulting with him first. (oh well 🙄 😂

But anyway, I've had the youngest one on a wait list for a no kill shelter ever since September, and they finally had a spot open up for him last month... and he just got adopted! I am so freaking happy. 

Jellybean looks so happy in his new home! Now we're down to "only" two cats, and my husband has calmed down about it all. He's even been feeding them, and letting them sit on his lap while he watches TV. 

We kept the two oldest ones because they get along so well, and we figured the one year old would be more adoptable. I'm so happy it worked out for all concerned. 💕

PS the adopter changed Jellybean's name to Jell E. Bean. 😁

rps20230309_224231.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 11