Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I wonder if their building has a rodent problem.  Many years ago, I was visiting in Moscow, Russia.  The church I attended was in an abandoned building where they had set up and furnished a very nice church in one section. The church had a cat.  It wandered around during the service, would rub against the pastor's vestments, and then roam around the parishioners.  You had to check your seat before you sat down to make sure the cat wasn't there.  The cat seemed right at home, and no one minded that he "attended" the church service.  I'm sure the building had rodents, so the cat had a full-time job. This video made me think the cat lived in their building.  I was happy to see the cat was treated so nicely.

Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland had one too. I think he technically belonged to the neighbor, but spent most of his time there and was allowed free reign of the church. His name was William and he is in some of my pictures from when we were there in 2019. They sold a children's book featuring him and William stuffed animals in the gift shop. I saw he died in 2021, at the age of 17.

• Like 10

I never get mine in a row. But if I did, it would probably look like this. Note that one's completely facing the other direction and another's head is turned backwards from the rest. 🤣

20140310-167-sm.thumb.jpg.44096dbc1bbe545593ac95e2a0b5bdeb.jpg

[I've been processing some photos I took in 2014 on a trip to San Antonio. This was taken at their zoo.]

• Like 10
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

Just a little vent…..when someone asks for advice. They complain (about something that’s of their own doing) and have no intention of being receptive to the advice at all. Next day, lather, rinse, repeat. 

Over, and over again, and it’s the same topic every freaking time.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 12
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Just a little vent…..when someone asks for advice. They complain (about something that’s of their own doing) and have no intention of being receptive to the advice at all. Next day, lather, rinse, repeat. 

Sounds like my PITA MIL. Minus the advice part. She thinks she knows everything. 

And she wonders why people (including 4 of her 5 siblings) won't talk to her. smh

• Like 5
  • Hugs 6
29 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

That sounds really frustrating, @ginger90 and sounds like this person just wants to complain and doesn't really want advice. I hope they at least listen when you need to talk.  

• Like 6
11 hours ago, BetyBee said:

That sounds really frustrating, @ginger90 and sounds like this person just wants to complain and doesn't really want advice. I hope they at least listen when you need to talk.  

In my experience a person like that doesn’t listen to me venting… it’s usually all about them. Haha 

• Like 4

My advice to a chronic complainer is usually something like, well it looks like you have two choices, learn to live with it or look for ways to change it. It usually either wakes them up or shuts them up.

In some situations I might even say, yea you told me, that sucks. Did you hear about everyone quitting Twitter?

• Like 10
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My advice to a chronic complainer is usually something like, well it looks like you have two choices, learn to live with it or look for ways to change it. It usually either wakes them up or shuts them up.

In some situations I might even say, yea you told me, that sucks. Did you hear about everyone quitting Twitter?

Redirecting to a new topic is a great way to handle chronic complainers. 

• Like 7

my mom is like that complains/seeks advice she doesn't want at all. When she starts on the same gripe, i get in right away "you have mentioned that before, has anything changed there?"  of course the answer is no, so that makes it easy to move on to something else. I don't have to hear a repeat of whatever over and over.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Redirecting to a new topic is a great way to handle chronic complainers. 

IF they let you talk at all. The MIL is a steamroller and no one can contribute anything to a "conversation." For instance, she has no clue my husband is still not working after his injury. The last VM she left for him mentioned that he had to leave for work. smh

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
41 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

IF they let you talk at all. The MIL is a steamroller and no one can contribute anything to a "conversation." For instance, she has no clue my husband is still not working after his injury. The last VM she left for him mentioned that he had to leave for work. smh

This puts me in mind of the lyrics of "Nowhere man" - in this case a woman:

Nowhere man please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere man, The world is at your command

How sad that she has not bothered to pay attention to her own son's recovery from his injury! How easy it would be for her to stop talking and to listen. 😒

• Like 7

My brother-in-law has been a beekeeper for many years. He's generous about giving jars of honey to friends and family. I've never been one to eat much honey, though I do like it. Anyway, I've been taking a tablespoon of honey a day to see if it's helpful with seasonal allergies. I was just reading that local honey (his hives are local) can help with allergies if you start a few weeks before the season. Of course other sources say it does nothing, but honey is delicious, so.....we'll see!

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Isn't that nice that the Duggars may pass out of public view? 

They're not whoring themselves out on social media daily like a good number of the Bateses. I think James posts the most of the Duggars these days, but it's redneck frat boy garbage that doesn't merit mention.

eta I guess Joy puts out her vlog, but it's so bad that it's not noteworthy.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 8
8 hours ago, awaken said:

The counting on threads have been pretty slow lately!  

A divorce or a prison break might liven things up! A tell all book from a Duggar who broke away from the cult would be interesting. 

• Like 9

Does anyone know of a truly free app for identifying plants? I don't want a subscription or a free trial. I tried googling and the information is inaccurate. They'll say such and such is the best free app for 2023 and after downloading, it turns out to be a free trial for a paid subscription. I've downloaded, then deleted about 4 apps today because they are not actually free!

• Useful 1
49 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Does anyone know of a truly free app for identifying plants? I don't want a subscription or a free trial. I tried googling and the information is inaccurate. They'll say such and such is the best free app for 2023 and after downloading, it turns out to be a free trial for a paid subscription. I've downloaded, then deleted about 4 apps today because they are not actually free!

I have one called Picture This. I just checked and it does have a paid option, but I've been using it for a long time without a subscription. I don't tend to use it for anything more than identifying a plant. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I have one called Picture This. I just checked and it does have a paid option, but I've been using it for a long time without a subscription. I don't tend to use it for anything more than identifying a plant. 

@BetyBee my grandson has the same APP he hasn’t paid anything for it. He’s only 14. 😁 I asked him to send me a screenshot , it looks like this:

CA027B27-7E7D-458D-AC30-CFD291261979.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Thank you so much @realityfan26 and @ginger90! I think that's the one my daughter uses too and she hasn't upgraded to a subscription. My husband found PlantNet, so I'm trying that for now. I'll switch to Picture this if it isn't right for me. I know what my houseplants are - mostly philodendrons, but I'm always curious about plants and flowers when I'm on a walk!

• Like 6

Hey small talk friends- I’ve been busy with work, preparing for my May which is going to be very very busy, but I leave for London Thursday night for a weekend trip to 1. Attend the coronation festivities, 2. Have some much needed solo time. 

I will have limited data so I will likely post when I get back but I will take pictures and have tea at The Savoy!

• Like 8
  • Love 15
23 hours ago, awaken said:

The counting on threads have been pretty slow lately!  

Right? Now if I want to come to this site and read about a dysfunctional family where the golden child turned out to be a sex pest and everyone follows a weird dress code,  I have to head over to the Royals section. 

If only one of the Duggar 19 could do like Prince Harry and air some family grievances in a memoir. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 13
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hey small talk friends- I’ve been busy with work, preparing for my May which is going to be very very busy, but I leave for London Thursday night for a weekend trip to 1. Attend the coronation festivities, 2. Have some much needed solo time. 

I will have limited data so I will likely post when I get back but I will take pictures and have tea at The Savoy!

Enjoy every minute!

• Like 5

I think there’s a travel forum to check out, but since we have many here who have visited London, I thought I’d ask - I’m planning to go with my son next year. Any recommendations on neighborhoods to stay in?  I’ve never been, don’t know the lay of the land. We mainly want to walk around and see stuff and ride the tube. 

13 hours ago, awaken said:

I think there’s a travel forum to check out, but since we have many here who have visited London, I thought I’d ask - I’m planning to go with my son next year. Any recommendations on neighborhoods to stay in?  I’ve never been, don’t know the lay of the land. We mainly want to walk around and see stuff and ride the tube. 

That sounds exciting. I’ve only been once and that was long ago.  I hope to return again. It’s been many years, but we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel at Park Lane. Its across from Hyde Park. It’s very nice and a great place, imo, though others likely know more about neighborhoods and sites, who’ve been there recently. My favorite sites were The Tower of London (Crown Jewels), St. Paul’s Cathedral (actual service), and British Museum. I had a fun dinner at the Hard Rock London. And while not in London, I loved visiting Windsor Castle.  It’s worth the drive, imo. And, if you get the time, a day trip to Paris on Eurostar is a treat. I’m not sure how covid might have affected those kind of things. Also, I took a day of traveling by train from London up to northern England and  got out to dine at a local pub (The Station) with locals. I really enjoyed that. Just planning your trip will be fun!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That sounds exciting. I’ve only been once and that was long ago.  I hope to return again. It’s been many years, but we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel at Park Lane. Its across from Hyde Park. It’s very nice and a great place, imo, though others likely know more about neighborhoods and sites, who’ve been there recently. My favorite sites were The Tower of London (Crown Jewels), St. Paul’s Cathedral (actual service), and British Museum. I had a fun dinner at the Hard Rock London. And while not in London, I loved visiting Windsor Castle.  It’s worth the drive, imo. And, if you get the time, a day trip to Paris on Eurostar is a treat. I’m not sure how covid might have affected those kind of things. Also, I took a day of traveling by train from London up to northern England and  got out to dine at a local pub (The Station) with locals. I really enjoyed that. Just planning your trip will be fun!  

We stayed at that hotel too!!!  We walked to a lot of places, took the Tube, and our adventure was to Blenheim and the Cotswalds.  Great trip planned by Sweet Son.  Also saw The Tower, Victoria and Albert Museum, walked by Downing Street, ate at some local places, Parliament, etc. Some traditional touristy things and some regular local things.  I did get to put my feet in the Princess of Wales Memorial fountain.  And saw Kensington.  Probably forgot a few things.  Great trip.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

There are lots of great neigborhoods in London.  When you're looking for a place to stay, look for one close to a tube station, that is really all you need and you can figure it out from there.

When I was there last year, we stayed right off Kensington High Street which is the big shopping area with a lot of high end stores-and a lot of regular ones, too  The tube station was maybe half a block away and there was also a bus stop there for both London transport as well as for one of the tourist hop-on, hop-off lines.  My sister had never been to London before and we only had a couple days, so the bus tour was really helpful both in covering a lot of ground in a relatively short period and picking out a couple places to stop and take a closer look.  

The London Underground has an excellent website as well as an app you can download to your phone which will help plan the fastest routes to anywhere.  The transport system is really quite amazing and you can get almost anywhere faster by bus or tube than you can in a car.  Much of the Buckingham Palace area in central London restricts automobile traffic and it can be a bear to find someplace to park anyway, so public transport gets you closer most of the time, too.

If you want to travel to Windsor from London (it's an adorable little town), it is probably easier to take a train than drive, IMO.  It's maybe a 30 minute ride.  London's major train stations are part of complexes with tube and bus stations so the transfers from one to another are almost seamless. Riding a train is a quintessential British experience, too.

If you are looking for other daytrips from London, I can also recommend Bath, Oxford and Brighton.  The Royal Pavilion at Brighton has to be seen to be believed, I've never seen the like of it anywhere.  All easy train trips.

Eurostar from London to Paris is so cool, highly recommend.  Takes you from the heart of London to the heart of Paris in 3 hours.  Trains are clean and spacious and whiz through the countryside at an amazing clip.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, you need to hit the national rail station at King's Cross to see Platform 9 3/4.  Unfortunately, it's become more of a tourist attraction and there's a huge gift shop there, too, these days.  Used to be just a clever little site for Potter fans to stumble upon.

I'm a royal freak, so, for me, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, and Hampton Court Palace are all great.  There are tours of the interior of Buckingham Palace offered, usually in August.  Most amazing palace I've ever seen and worth doing if you're there at the right time.  Other times, you can walk around the outside and tour the mews which are really interesting, too.  You get to see the great coaches of state up close.

The British Museum,  Tate Museum of Modern Art both exceptional.  I've seen Shakespeare at the Globe theater and several shows in the East End, London's Broadway district.  Saw Imelda Staunton (current Queen in The Crown) in Gypsy a couple years back.  My British friend actually went to high school with her.  

If you're a WWII buff, the Cabinet War Rooms near 10 Downing Street are a literal piece of history you can tour.  Very moving.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/tube/

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

I'm a long time solo traveler who generally loathes organized tours of any kind, but I have enjoyed many London Walks over the years. https://www.walks.com/ There are walks to suit any taste, they're good value and best of all, don't require pre-booking so you can bail at the last minute if you change your mind, the weather isn't agreeable, or your feet hurt.  For example, I was once on a bus on my way to join a Shakespeare and Dickens Christmas Walk.  Through the window I saw this https://snowflakegelato.co.uk/. So I got off the bus.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone had carpel tunnel syndrome before?  Can you recommend whether a hand brace might be helpful until I can get to the doctor?  

I have not had carpal tunnel, but I've seen many people who have to do repetitive hand movements, wearing a hand brace. I hope you get some relief from the pain!

• Like 2

Has anyone had carpel tunnel syndrome before?  Can you recommend whether a hand brace might be helpful until I can get to the doctor?  

I've lived right on the edge of carpel tunnel for a long time. Had the nerve testing way back in 2006. Surgery wasn't advised, but I was advised at that time to wear hand/wrist braces all the time. I not only do a lot of keyboard work, at that time I'd been working on this fixer-upper condo I'd bought, scraping wallpaper was apparently just the wrong kind and amount of repetitive motion to result in pain (I hired a painter to finish that, thank goodness). 

I'd been given hand/wrist braces to wear a couple of years earlier. I wore them while sleeping but not during the day and that was enough to relieve me of pain. I'd also been advised by IIRC a physical therapist, to be mindful of how I positioned my hands and wrists when settling down in bed to sleep if not in braces - to be sure they were in relaxed positions and not bent up at tight angles. 

So in 2006 after the nerve test, I put on the braces and went to work. AARGH. I just couldn't wear them all day like that. So I went back to wearing them at night, and the pain resolved quickly.

All these years later I still have the braces. I wear them at night if I've been doing a lot of repetitive motion tasks and even feel a little twinge of pain. That still resolves it for me. About five years ago I did a document review that was old school - literally flipping through stacks and stacks (and boxes and boxes) of paper. After a few days of that I was suddenly having awful pain in my wrists, but it was the day before Christmas Eve and I had to go to the supermarket. I swear I still remember that trip. OTC pain meds and my wrist braces took care of that in fairly short order so Christmas wasn't ruined.

I hope your pain is relieved quickly!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 10
  • Useful 3

When I was pregnant with my second I developed carpal tunnel. Apparently, it can happen with the changes the body goes through in pregnancy. A friend of mine developed it when she was pregnant, too. The brace did work for me quite well. After delivery, it cleared up. But I kept the brace and if I started feeling a little achy, I would wear the brace and it would feel better. Like @Jeeves I couldn't wear it all day, either. But I'm glad something as easy as wearing a brace was available because it helped a lot.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'd been given hand/wrist braces to wear a couple of years earlier. I wore them while sleeping but not during the day and that was enough to relieve me of pain. I'd also been advised by IIRC a physical therapist, to be mindful of how I positioned my hands and wrists when settling down in bed to sleep if not in braces - to be sure they were in relaxed positions and not bent up at tight angles. 

This is very helpful! I have an ongoing rash on my hands, a side effect from a drug my former endocrinologist prescribed for me. I've been off that drug for about a year and the rash persists, probably because I suffer from eczema and should never have been on it. My dermatologist said it was a side effect from that drug. I'm not self diagnosing. I also have arthritis in my hands. I wear fingerless gloves and lotion at night to try to keep the rash minimized. I wonder if I could also wear a brace at night? I do catch myself with my hands in tight or awkward positions at night, which aggravates hand pain. 

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Definitely along with ice, elevation, and above all rest it.  

I survived two bouts of carpal tunnel without having surgery.  

• Like 6
On 4/28/2023 at 8:53 PM, awaken said:

Another Anglophile here. Leaving soon for another trip to the UK including a week in London. I agree with the above comments.

Here's my advice. Apologies if you know or have done any of this already. Get a couple of good guidebooks to understand the lay of the land, literally and otherwise. Maybe from your public library. Rick Steves is a popular US travel writer and has done all those TV shows on PBS. Maybe you can check out the DVDs of his relevant London episodes from your library or find somewhere to stream them. 

I would recommend not relying solely on any one guidebook. Other reputable guides come from Lonely Planet, DK Eyewitness, Frommer's, and Fodor's. A browse through Amazon shows many other guidebooks, some tailored to specific interests. IMO you need to read about London from a few different perspectives. 

The London sites of interest to most visitors aren't grouped conveniently into a small easily walkable area - i.e., there's not one particular neighborhood that's "best" for tourists. OTOH the public transit system is excellent - that's run by Transport for London aka TfL - https://tfl.gov.uk/ - which runs the underground trains aka Tube, buses, and more. For an optimal experience as a visitor, I agree with the consensus that it's best to have your lodgings (hotel, apartment, whatever) within Zone 1 on the TfL map. It's here, you can download it or just look online and zoom in on things: https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf. From inside Zone 1 you'll save money on Tube and bus journeys as you get around. You'll probably visit a few sites outsize Zones 1 and 2 but that's not a big deal. The Tube map isn't to scale; it's more like a an electrical wiring diagram and it does its job of mapping the underground system very well. So also look at a real map, is my suggestion. 🙂

I haven't stayed in all London neighborhoods. I have stayed in these neighborhoods, and here are my completely personal opinions, i.e. YMMV:

• South Kensington: This is in the SW area of Zone 1. Harrod's is there, as are the Victoria and Albert (V&A) Museum, natural history museum, and a few more things. We stayed a few times at a hotel just over the road (or as we Americans say, "across the street") from the Gloucester Road tube station. There's a small but handy shopping arcade (mall) on top of the Tube station which is of course mostly underground, lol. South Ken is a bit of a Tube or bus ride from more central sites but it wasn't that big a deal for us, just a few extra minutes. On those trips we went to many plays in the West End and had no worries taking the Tube back to the hotel late-ish at night. IMO it's a nice quiet area to stay in. 
  • Earl's Court: This area is just beyond South Ken, named for Earl's Court Road, the main thoroughfare. Ages ago it was student and backpacker land but it's gentrified a lot since then. I stayed in a very nice hotel not a far walk from the Earl's Court tube station. It's really like South Kensington, once you're off Earl's Court Road it's quiet and residential. The handy thing is that Earl's Court tube station is on the Piccadilly underground line. Which is the line that goes to Heathrow Airport. If you land at Heathrow and aren't too tired to handle your luggage yourself? You can hop on the Tube right there and ride to Earl's Court station. Where there's step-free access from the Piccadilly Line platform to the street.
  • Bloomsbury: This area is closer in to the center of London than the first two neighborhoods. The British Museum is here, as is the University of London. I spent more than week staying in a hotel on Gower Street, one of the main thoroughfares. Tottenham Court Road was just a couple of streets away. Interesting neighborhood, more lively IMO than the first two. 
  • Hyde Park/Paddington/Bayswater. This is my current go-to; I've stayed at a hotel on Bayswater Road twice and will do so again next month. I love the easy access to the green spaces of Hyde Park and transport is convenient. The area right around Paddington train station isn't fabulous but okay. The handy thing about the area is rail connections to Heathrow Airport. Including the new Elizabeth Line as well as the Heathrow Express (hint, the Express is great if you've grabbed the £5.50 bargain advance tix online for your day of travel but costly if you didn't). The Heathrow Express really works best if you're staying not far from Paddington - it's often hawked as the ONLY way to get to Heathrow, which is BS.
  • Victoria Station/Pimlico. I spent a few days at the Luna Simone hotel here. It's great for quick access to the Palace of Westminster and Westminster Abbey. You can walk to Victoria Station as well. Extra handy if you're flying into or out of Gatwick Airport. Trains to Gatwick go to Victoria Station. 

A few other random thoughts. Not critical info, but helpful in conversing with the locals. We are indeed often divided by a common language. 🤣

• The City of London is a specific square-mile area [and governmental entity] that 's now the financial district full of office buildings, but is also the place where London began. The Great Fire, the Tower of London, the area inside the original City Wall, etc. If you just say "the City" in a discussion of London it will likely be assumed you mean that specific area. Which doesn't include the West End, the area around Westminster Palace, etc. 
  • The underground train system is called the Tube or the Underground, but not the "Metro" or "subway." In the UK, a "subway" is a pedestrian tunnel, usually located under a road or street.
  • It's not a good idea to abbreviate names of sites, cities, towns, railway or tube stations, etc. For example, Leicester Square is a specific spot in London, and there's a tube station there called Leicester Square underground station. There's also a city elsewhere in England called Leicester. You risk misunderstandings if you only say "Leicester" when referring to the Leicester Square location or tube station. 
  • I hope all of the above doesn't sound pedantic, but I've found that people I've randomly encountered tend to respond positively when they think I've made an effort to learn a bit about their home city. 

I've participated in a couple of travel forums, one on Trip Advisor, and the other on the Rick Steves website. Found them to be worth the time. As with anything online you have to wade through some static and evaluate info for yourself. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 6
  • Useful 5

Thanks to all for their comments on carpel tunnel.  I’m not sure that’s what I have, however, if is on my dominant hand. I do overuse it.  My vow is to address it early.  Or, at least wear a brace. I haven’t had any numbness or pins and needles though.  Just pain along the medial nerve though.  I’ve read those are classic symptoms. Do you always have numbness?  It’s awakened me at night.  I thought I’d see my primary before the hand specialist. It’s odd, the pain goes mostly along the finger that I had a severe infection several years ago.  That was in the tip though and this pain goes down through the hand to the middle and ring fingers.  It makes me really anxious.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Hugs 8
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Another Anglophile here. Leaving soon for another trip to the UK including a week in London. I agree with the above comments.

Here's my advice. Apologies if you know or have done any of this already. Get a couple of good guidebooks to understand the lay of the land, literally and otherwise. Maybe from your public library. Rick Steves is a popular US travel writer and has done all those TV shows on PBS. Maybe you can check out the DVDs of his relevant London episodes from your library or find somewhere to stream them. 

I would recommend not relying solely on any one guidebook. Other reputable guides come from Lonely Planet, DK Eyewitness, Frommer's, and Fodor's. A browse through Amazon shows many other guidebooks, some tailored to specific interests. IMO you need to read about London from a few different perspectives. 

The London sites of interest to most visitors aren't grouped conveniently into a small easily walkable area - i.e., there's not one particular neighborhood that's "best" for tourists. OTOH the public transit system is excellent - that's run by Transport for London aka TfL - https://tfl.gov.uk/ - which runs the underground trains aka Tube, buses, and more. For an optimal experience as a visitor, I agree with the consensus that it's best to have your lodgings (hotel, apartment, whatever) within Zone 1 on the TfL map. It's here, you can download it or just look online and zoom in on things: https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf. From inside Zone 1 you'll save money on Tube and bus journeys as you get around. You'll probably visit a few sites outsize Zones 1 and 2 but that's not a big deal. The Tube map isn't to scale; it's more like a an electrical wiring diagram and it does its job of mapping the underground system very well. So also look at a real map, is my suggestion. 🙂

I haven't stayed in all London neighborhoods. I have stayed in these neighborhoods, and here are my completely personal opinions, i.e. YMMV:

• South Kensington: This is in the SW area of Zone 1. Harrod's is there, as are the Victoria and Albert (V&A) Museum, natural history museum, and a few more things. We stayed a few times at a hotel just over the road (or as we Americans say, "across the street") from the Gloucester Road tube station. There's a small but handy shopping arcade (mall) on top of the Tube station which is of course mostly underground, lol. South Ken is a bit of a Tube or bus ride from more central sites but it wasn't that big a deal for us, just a few extra minutes. On those trips we went to many plays in the West End and had no worries taking the Tube back to the hotel late-ish at night. IMO it's a nice quiet area to stay in. 
  • Earl's Court: This area is just beyond South Ken, named for Earl's Court Road, the main thoroughfare. Ages ago it was student and backpacker land but it's gentrified a lot since then. I stayed in a very nice hotel not a far walk from the Earl's Court tube station. It's really like South Kensington, once you're off Earl's Court Road it's quiet and residential. The handy thing is that Earl's Court tube station is on the Piccadilly underground line. Which is the line that goes to Heathrow Airport. If you land at Heathrow and aren't too tired to handle your luggage yourself? You can hop on the Tube right there and ride to Earl's Court station. Where there's step-free access from the Piccadilly Line platform to the street.
  • Bloomsbury: This area is closer in to the center of London than the first two neighborhoods. The British Museum is here, as is the University of London. I spent more than week staying in a hotel on Gower Street, one of the main thoroughfares. Tottenham Court Road was just a couple of streets away. Interesting neighborhood, more lively IMO than the first two. 
  • Hyde Park/Paddington/Bayswater. This is my current go-to; I've stayed at a hotel on Bayswater Road twice and will do so again next month. I love the easy access to the green spaces of Hyde Park and transport is convenient. The area right around Paddington train station isn't fabulous but okay. The handy thing about the area is rail connections to Heathrow Airport. Including the new Elizabeth Line as well as the Heathrow Express (hint, the Express is great if you've grabbed the £5.50 bargain advance tix online for your day of travel but costly if you didn't). The Heathrow Express really works best if you're staying not far from Paddington - it's often hawked as the ONLY way to get to Heathrow, which is BS.
  • Victoria Station/Pimlico. I spent a few days at the Luna Simone hotel here. It's great for quick access to the Palace of Westminster and Westminster Abbey. You can walk to Victoria Station as well. Extra handy if you're flying into or out of Gatwick Airport. Trains to Gatwick go to Victoria Station. 

A few other random thoughts. Not critical info, but helpful in conversing with the locals. We are indeed often divided by a common language. 🤣

• The City of London is a specific square-mile area [and governmental entity] that 's now the financial district full of office buildings, but is also the place where London began. The Great Fire, the Tower of London, the area inside the original City Wall, etc. If you just say "the City" in a discussion of London it will likely be assumed you mean that specific area. Which doesn't include the West End, the area around Westminster Palace, etc. 
  • The underground train system is called the Tube or the Underground, but not the "Metro" or "subway." In the UK, a "subway" is a pedestrian tunnel, usually located under a road or street.
  • It's not a good idea to abbreviate names of sites, cities, towns, railway or tube stations, etc. For example, Leicester Square is a specific spot in London, and there's a tube station there called Leicester Square underground station. There's also a city elsewhere in England called Leicester. You risk misunderstandings if you only say "Leicester" when referring to the Leicester Square location or tube station. 
  • I hope all of the above doesn't sound pedantic, but I've found that people I've randomly encountered tend to respond positively when they think I've made an effort to learn a bit about their home city. 

I've participated in a couple of travel forums, one on Trip Advisor, and the other on the Rick Steves website. Found them to be worth the time. As with anything online you have to wade through some static and evaluate info for yourself. 

Excellent advice.  Also remember that British airports generally give you easy access to luggage carts.  You can toss your bags on a cart and wheel them right to the tube station right there in the airport, either Heathrow or Gatwick.  Take the transport to the stop closest to where you are staying on that line and you can always grab a cab or an Uber from the station to where you are staying, you will save a bundle.  Switching lines on the tube often means escalators, stairs or long walks which can be daunting with luggage, so stick to one line if you can.

Remember, too, that London is a huge, diverse, city and you can get amazing food all over the place. Indian food is ubiquitous like Mexican is here.  Indian fast food in the form of curry is a typical late night treat after hitting the pubs. There are also numerous French, Chinese, Italian, etc.  But, if you're even a little bit adventurous; there are Ethiopian, Turkish, Danish and more available.  Ask a local, they can give you tips.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Thank you all so much for all the London info, @SunnyBeBe @Jeeves @Notabug @lookeyloo @Quof!  My son and I are huge public transit fans, and love just walking around cities exploring things.  His main interest is trains, so London seems like a terrific destination!  We definitely plan to take the Eurostar to Paris!  Thanks for the hotel and neighborhood recs- I'm going to look those up!

• Like 6

re carpal tunnel. i had surgery for it on my dominant hand -- awake! it was easy, painless (except for the first shot to numb it). the dr talked to me throughout the procedure done in a suite at his office. i then drove home just fine. it helped immensely. i still get the pins and needles in my other hand and suppose i will need surgery eventually but its not a priority at this time. yes, i slept with the braces on for a long time -- that helped slow it down. occasionally i do wear the braces now when my hands get tired. keyboarding so much doesnt help things!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, zoomama said:

re carpal tunnel. i had surgery for it on my dominant hand -- awake! it was easy, painless (except for the first shot to numb it). the dr talked to me throughout the procedure done in a suite at his office. i then drove home just fine. it helped immensely. i still get the pins and needles in my other hand and suppose i will need surgery eventually but its not a priority at this time. yes, i slept with the braces on for a long time -- that helped slow it down. occasionally i do wear the braces now when my hands get tired. keyboarding so much doesnt help things!

I’m so glad things went well for you!  I had a good night last night, after adjusting my position.  I  immobilized my right wrist, so it wouldn’t bend and put it on pillow to keep it up. It didn’t hurt at all and I got a full night’s sleep!  It didn’t hurt at all yesterday.  I was careful how I used it, though.  I had documents to file online, so had to use my computer.  I still haven’t had any pins and needles though, just pain…..makes me wonder if it’s CTS.  

• Like 3

Ace makes a decent night wrist brace that is affordable.  Has no metal in it, and has an egg shaped foam pad that rests in the palm of your hand to keep you from clenching your fingers too much in your sleep.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

I’m so glad things went well for you!  I had a good night last night, after adjusting my position.  I  immobilized my right wrist, so it wouldn’t bend and put it on pillow to keep it up. It didn’t hurt at all and I got a full night’s sleep!  It didn’t hurt at all yesterday.  I was careful how I used it, though.  I had documents to file online, so had to use my computer.  I still haven’t had any pins and needles though, just pain…..makes me wonder if it’s CTS.  

I'm glad you're feeling better.

BTW I almost never have numbness or pins and needles when my CTS (or borderline CTS or repetitive strain injury or whatever it's called) flares. Just pain in my wrists and hands. Often just the right hand, sometimes both. It depends on what sort of repetitive motion I've been doing to cause the flare. 

As to wrist braces, I prefer the smaller ones to the big clunky splints that cover a lot of my forearm. The brace/splint just needs to hold my and and wrist in the correct position and can do that job without sprawling halfway up my arm. Long ago I was given some small ones at my doctor's office. I liked them. Then later on they gave me these huge long wrist/arm splints festooned with excess velcro; I hated those. It felt like being in a frigging cast.

I couldn't find my original braces, so I bought these on Amazon which I like a lot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NLGNW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 Then a few months later - of course - I found my original old small braces, so now I have two sets to choose from. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

I’ll follow up with a proper brace for night. And, maybe a compression glove for day?  I wasn’t impressed with the braces I could have delivered to my home yesterday, so made my own out of a large sock and rolled up fabric.  Same principle. Lol. It served the purpose, but isn’t convenient.  Thanks for the input. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, awaken said:

My son and I are huge public transit fans, and love just walking around cities exploring things.  His main interest is trains, so London seems like a terrific destination! 

Your son might be interested in the London Transport Museum.   https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/  I had wanted to visit in on my last trip, but it was temporarily closed for renovation.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, Notabug said:

Remember, too, that London is a huge, diverse, city and you can get amazing food all over the place. 

Talking about food, your best bet for lunch in anywhere you're travelling in the UK is sandwiches from somewhere on the high street like Boots, WH Smiths, M&S.  Just go to the fridge section, pick up some knickers while you're there and find a spot outside to sit.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

When I last visited London I stayed at the Hilton Kensington (yay free room on points!)  It is about a block away from Shepherd's Bush which is a combo tube, overground, and rail station.  Technically the rail is across the street from the tube station, but unless you are doing a transfer, you don't really notice.

Getting from the airport to the hotel by transit also wasn't bad, even for a sleep deprived single traveler coming off a red eye dragging luggage for two people (long story).  Took the Heathrow Express to Paddington and from there took two tube lines to get to the hotel.  

• Like 6