Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the site today? My phone is freezing and crashing, this site only. All apps and other websites run normally. It's a pain to try to read, let alone post! 

I've cleared my cache and checked all my apps. Everything else look good. 

Weird...

No 

I’m on an iPhone 

2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the site today? My phone is freezing and crashing, this site only. All apps and other websites run normally. It's a pain to try to read, let alone post! 

I've cleared my cache and checked all my apps. Everything else look good. 

Weird...

I haven't had trouble with the site crashing today, however, new & more invasive ads start appearing today.

A few weeks ago, there appeared for the first time, along the bottom of each page, disgusting "sponsored content" for correction of toenail fungus, erectile dysfunction, and other ailments. Then about a week or two ago, on top of the "sponsored content", a running banner appeared.

Today, I started seeing ads between each post - inserting themselves so as to make the screen jump around. That is, I read a post, scroll down to the next post, and while scrolling, an ad suddenly squeezes in thus pushing down the new post I just started to read. Makes me dizzy!

So, although the site isn't crashing for me today, my brain is starting to crash. Would love some information on ad-blockers that some of you have successfully used here. I understand that the ad revenue finances the site, so I've been tolerating it, but it's really over the top now. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

I recommend using firefox with the add-on UBlock Origin. I have them installed on my laptop and the mobile version on my android phone. Chrome has started disallowing adblockers.

I use Chrome, and don't have any problems with Ad Block Plus.  It's a free one, and I appreciate not having the ads here, and particularly on Youtube.  Occasionally I need to take it off for a specific page, but it goes right back to work after I leave it.

• Like 3

ublock origin is also what I use.  It is where I wrote the custom filter to hide the bad grammar user count thingy that was driving me up the wall. I used to turn it off for this site so they could get ad revenue, but there's just too many annoyances recently.

Both ublock and adblock+ have the ability to configure sites where the blocker doesn't run on that site without having to turn the whole blocker on and off, so you can choose to still support sites with reasonable ads and have it remember your choice. 

I used to use adblock+ but the most useful features for me went away when firefox changed the way extensions worked several years ago so I switched.  For just simple blocking, it is also still a good choice.

• Like 1

We finally got our fit-all-the-grands vehicle yesterday (even the surprise-to-all-of-us 4th coming in 3ish months). Mr. Turquoise had done a ton of online research about ones that met what we were looking for, and had a handful for us to test drive. Still was an all day process. I think we found a good one, but it was a little hard to let go of my car. Not only was she a good car, I got her at a pivotal moment in my life. I teared up a bit at the dealer, when I thought the salesman was gone. My luck, he came back and was flabbergasted I was emotional. Oh well.

I'm the type that names my vehicles, so I am working on the right name for the new addition.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 5
21 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

We finally got our fit-all-the-grands vehicle yesterday (even the surprise-to-all-of-us 4th coming in 3ish months). Mr. Turquoise had done a ton of online research about ones that met what we were looking for, and had a handful for us to test drive. Still was an all day process. I think we found a good one, but it was a little hard to let go of my car. Not only was she a good car, I got her at a pivotal moment in my life. I teared up a bit at the dealer, when I thought the salesman was gone. My luck, he came back and was flabbergasted I was emotional. Oh well.

I'm the type that names my vehicles, so I am working on the right name for the new addition.

i get it. my last purchase was totally bought with grandchildren i mind. i wanted enough seats for all and also enough room for luggage should i happen to be bringing any home with me on a road trip. so for everyday use, its a little big, but i appreciate the safety of it and the extra space for hauling treasures i may find along the roadside (discarded furniture etc).

• Like 7
1 minute ago, zoomama said:

i get it. my last purchase was totally bought with grandchildren i mind. i wanted enough seats for all and also enough room for luggage should i happen to be bringing any home with me on a road trip. so for everyday use, its a little big, but i appreciate the safety of it and the extra space for hauling treasures i may find along the roadside (discarded furniture etc).

Yep. This won't get driven a ton because I work from home. Will probably be in the garage unless we have the babies/need to haul something. Since our grands are all siblings (I have an only child) we usually have the whole crew. Any time we wanted to do anything with them we had to take both cars, and then there was debate about who got which car. That problem is solved.

• Like 11

Hm, I see a blue dot in unread sections along with the bold type on the home page.  I don't think that helps me, but it's trivial in the scheme of life.  The show titles are lining up slightly differently.

• Like 4

Not too long ago, Joy posted a video of her going in for a check up re her pregnancy. Turns out she had come in a month early and some posters laughed at her mistake. I hope I wasn't one of them because guess what I did today?! Yep, I showed up for my mammogram and bone density scan and I was a month early! Luckily it was not too early for my insurance and they were able to squeeze me in. All's well that ends well!

• Like 10
  • Hugs 5
On 2/19/2023 at 7:43 AM, Turquoise said:

Congrats on the new ride! And, I get that bit about your emotions for your old car. 

Yesterday I honorably retired my old 2008 minivan at 217K miles, traded it in (for not much money, no surprise, LOL) and drove home in a 2019 minivan. I bought the older van in the summer of 2020 for not much money, and said at the time that if I got two years' use from it I'd be happy. I got more like 2.5, heh. It was a pandemic project; I think I posted here about some of the things I did to make it work as a camping vehicle. I had some good trips in it, but it was really showing its age cosmetically and there were some big maintenance expenses looming. I just didn't want to put any more money into it at this point.

I told the auto broker I worked with, as he was handing my "new" vehicle over to me, I was sad to let go of the old van. Because it had been that project, and associated with my taking trips and doing things (camping) that were new to me in my long life, and meeting new people, etc. My broker said that a surprising number of people get emotional when they trade in a car. He still remembers one situation where he found the customer (a woman) sobbing as if her heart would break. Most people may tear up a bit or just show some emotion, but she was crying so hard that he was really concerned. But she finally calmed down. 

We had nice weather yesterday so I took a long drive in my new minivan around town, ended up having dinner with my cousins. As predicted, the temps have dropped like a rock overnight and snow has moved in. The minivan has cr*p cheap tires on it - I knew it when I bought it - and until they are replaced I won't be driving it in these conditions. I may buy cheap cars, but I *never* cheap out on tires. 

• Like 14
41 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I saw something nice on the nightly news last night. A woman was T-boned (no injuries) in her Jetta and the insurance company totaled it. She thought it would go for scrap or parts. She loved that car (it still was new-ish and looked sharp) and left her contact info in the glove compartment….in case. She found out that it was shipped to Ukraine (6 months on a cargo ship) and then man that bought it was a skilled mechanic who made it look like new. He and his wife and children were able to then use the car to escape to Czechoslovakia and begin a new life. He used the contact information to contact the original owner by Instagram. She was surprised it was still in use, but so happy that the people who got it were able to make good use of it. 

What an amazing story! 

ETA: I was curious to learn more so I googled and clicked on the first link I saw. The full story is even more amazing, imo. Thank you for sharing the original story @Mindthinkr.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-long-island-car-crash-saved-a-family-in-ukraine

Edited by EVS
Add link and thanks
  • Like 11
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Jeeves are you going to take camping trips in your new van?

Yes, that's the plan.

It's been very cold here for the last few days - too uncomfortable for me to take my camp cot down to the car to try it out. My cousin's husband had built me a lovely custom platform for the other minivan (an old Honda), for my camping mattress. But now I'm back to the cot - at least for now. I expect to have to level it a bit as the minivan floor slopes down from back to front.

Luckily, my "new" van is a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan - the best-selling minivan of that year. There are lots of YT videos showing how people have tricked out those vans for camping. All the way from elaborate custom builds, to minimalist no-builds, and just about everything in between. I've sort of followed one YT'er for a few years, from her getting a minivan and fixing it up for her first trip, through some changes, and she really grew her YT channel. Just this week I learned via YT that she had Fiberine install a high top (I think 16 inches) on the minivan. She's INTO this!!

In the meantime, I got new tires for my new ride, and feel much better about driving it in winter weather. 

About minivans - I found this article from 2020 which is a walk through the history of minivans, with lots of photos. That article talks about the decline of minivans, but they seem to be making somewhat of a comeback: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/02/success/minivans-cool-again/index.html. Certainly they can be hard to find; I know there's a chip shortage for cars, etc., but I think part of it is the minivan's popularity. 

ETA: here she is - 

20230221-GrandC.thumb.jpg.429902930cced0c639b30b9ce610f622.jpg

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yes, that's the plan.

It's been very cold here for the last few days - too uncomfortable for me to take my camp cot down to the car to try it out. My cousin's husband had built me a lovely custom platform for the other minivan (an old Honda), for my camping mattress. But now I'm back to the cot - at least for now. I expect to have to level it a bit as the minivan floor slopes down from back to front.

Luckily, my "new" van is a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan - the best-selling minivan of that year. There are lots of YT videos showing how people have tricked out those vans for camping. All the way from elaborate custom builds, to minimalist no-builds, and just about everything in between. I've sort of followed one YT'er for a few years, from her getting a minivan and fixing it up for her first trip, through some changes, and she really grew her YT channel. Just this week I learned via YT that she had Fiberine install a high top (I think 16 inches) on the minivan. She's INTO this!!

In the meantime, I got new tires for my new ride, and feel much better about driving it in winter weather. 

About minivans - I found this article from 2020 which is a walk through the history of minivans, with lots of photos. That article talks about the decline of minivans, but they seem to be making somewhat of a comeback: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/02/success/minivans-cool-again/index.html. Certainly they can be hard to find; I know there's a chip shortage for cars, etc., but I think part of it is the minivan's popularity. 

ETA: here she is - 

20230221-GrandC.thumb.jpg.429902930cced0c639b30b9ce610f622.jpg

Can you share the youtubers name please? I'd love to convince DH to camp again!

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

Can you share the youtubers name please? I'd love to convince DH to camp again!

Sure. She's Travel Grandma (real name Elaine). Her channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/@TravelGrandma

The video about the high top I saw, was on another channel. She talks about being able to bring her husband along on trips right at the beginning. Besides the high top, there's a cool tent that can be attached to the end of the van for camping. The video is here: 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Sure. She's Travel Grandma (real name Elaine). Her channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/@TravelGrandma

The video about the high top I saw, was on another channel. She talks about being able to bring her husband along on trips right at the beginning. Besides the high top, there's a cool tent that can be attached to the end of the van for camping. The video is here: 

I'm not a camper person ( I think I could become one), but I do know that Honda sells an add-on tent for the CRV. It looks pretty nice, and has a lower price than I would expect. I would guess (maybe) that other companies make tents for rear-opening vehicles.  I think that would make a pretty nice camping set-up.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Thank you @Jeeves

• Like 1

Just an fyi from a message I received:

Oh and hives and rashes are now a covid symptom. No respiratory along with it. We’ve had a lot of kids with hives and rashes. Localized or full body. Nothing else and it’s covid 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Oh and hives and rashes are now a covid symptom. No respiratory along with it. We’ve had a lot of kids with hives and rashes. Localized or full body. Nothing else and it’s covid 

Interesting. The hubby had an unexplained rash about a month ago. Went to urgent care, who just told him to get some Zyrtec and Benadryl. Rash went away without further incident. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Hmmm...I caught a cold from my youngest granddaughter at Christmas. Seemed your run-of-the-mill, feel crappy for a few days cold. Then on New Year's Day I broke out in neck-to-soles-of-feet hives. Went to Urgent Care, tested negative for Covid, flu, and strep. Hives lasted for four days (miserable!). They told me they have been seeing this reaction at the end of a viral infection lately. I'm 50 and it's never happened to me before. But there are so many strange bug variations now.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm not a camper person ( I think I could become one), but I do know that Honda sells an add-on tent for the CRV. It looks pretty nice, and has a lower price than I would expect. I would guess (maybe) that other companies make tents for rear-opening vehicles.  I think that would make a pretty nice camping set-up.

Yes, there are many such products on the market these days. I own a Napier Sportz Cove, which isn't a full-fledged tent, but a large awning that attaches to the open hatch of a vehicle. I haven't tried it out on my Dodge minivan yet, but it should fit. It provides shade to sit outdoors - assuming you're parked correctly in relation to the sun. Also it has a "screen door" you can zip closed, to allow airflow into the vehicle and keep out bugs. I won't sleep with the hatch open, so this has to be removed, at least enough to close the hatch, before bedding down for the night.

It's not the most practical thing, but I bought it when I was very new at figuring out camping gear. If I didn't own it, I'd probably buy something else, probably an awning to attach to the side of the vehicle that could be left in place with the doors closed overnight. One thing in its favor is that it seems to perform well in high winds, probably because it's so well attached to the vehicle; freestanding tents and many side awnings often get mangled by high winds.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought some of you England fans might appreciate this.

image.png.f375b810cb8718a30b75b1754f6ce6aa.png

image.png.404e932ad4f97769695c50af1832669f.png

I remember changing trains there once, and felt it had a distinctive Victorian vibe.  I can't recall which stations, but I remember noticing some in 1974 that seemed like they dated from the early 20th C.  I also remember the employee (not the ticket machine) that would take everyone's ticket at the end as well as those wood escalators that were phased out after the horrible King's Cross fire in 1987.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I slept like it was my job last night, 9 hours of sleep and my SleepNumber bed gave me a lousy 62 for a score! It may know something because in the early morning light, my first glance at myself in the mirror, my hair looked like Gwen Shamblin's! Well, happy Sunday people!

• LOL 14

Here I am discussing my sleep again! Well, I got a good score despite Mr. BB waking me up from a sound sleep to tell me the EMTs were next door again. My poor old neighbor! I'm not sure what happened and will hopefully find out more soon. We spoke just last week and she asked me to visit her more often. We're super busy trying to buy a car and with other things, so I thought I'd stop by and visit this week after we get that done. 

Though I was asleep when this happened, I have a question. Would you go to a neighbor's when paramedics are there? My instinct is to stay out of their way, but I wonder if I should have asked her if there was anything she needed? We are really close neighbors. We share a wall and a front porch. The emergency lights were lighting up one whole side of our home, so only a sleeping person would miss that something was going on. Usually she ends up in rehab for a couple of months. She's frail and in her early 80s. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Here I am discussing my sleep again! Well, I got a good score despite Mr. BB waking me up from a sound sleep to tell me the EMTs were next door again. My poor old neighbor! I'm not sure what happened and will hopefully find out more soon. We spoke just last week and she asked me to visit her more often. We're super busy trying to buy a car and with other things, so I thought I'd stop by and visit this week after we get that done. 

Though I was asleep when this happened, I have a question. Would you go to a neighbor's when paramedics are there? My instinct is to stay out of their way, but I wonder if I should have asked her if there was anything she needed? We are really close neighbors. We share a wall and a front porch. The emergency lights were lighting up one whole side of our home, so only a sleeping person would miss that something was going on. Usually she ends up in rehab for a couple of months. She's frail and in her early 80s. 

If it were me in the ambulance I would appreciate a friendly face. Only you know if she would. She might like some support and assurance she wouldn't be abandoned. Also someone to take in the mail, notify someone, etc if you are those kind of neighbors.  Seems scary to be alone. 

• Like 12

The next door neighbor on the left is a cop and the next door neighbor on the right is a firefighter. They both have told us if we see an EMT at a neighbor's that we know, to go there and help however we can. Basically stay out of their way and let them do their jobs, but be around to hold doors open and lock up.

• Like 11
  • Useful 3
17 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

The next door neighbor on the left is a cop and the next door neighbor on the right is a firefighter. They both have told us if we see an EMT at a neighbor's that we know, to go there and help however we can. Basically stay out of their way and let them do their jobs, but be around to hold doors open and lock up.

Thanks so much. I will definitely discuss it with her next time I see her. We should have a plan in place for emergencies. Thankfully she doesn't have any pets, but I'm sure she'd appreciate mail pick up. I should have her daughter's number for middle of the night emergencies. 

• Like 14
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I agree.  Just quickly see if she needs anything, can you get her purse, her insurance card, her glasses?  That sort of stuff.  Find out what hospital the EMT's are taking her to and then call in a day or so if she hasn't come home to see if she needs anything.  

Giving the EMT's your phone number as someone who can be contacted on her behalf is not a bad idea either, they can pass it along to the ER, presuming you're ok if they call you.  

I presume she has a DPA for healthcare with her daughter as her person; if you've got the daughter's number, give the EMT's that.  Even if your neighbor is wide awake and cognizant when they take her, old people can decompensate mentally rapidly in an emergency.  Making sure her family can be easily reached is really helpful to the caregivers.

• Like 13

It is snowing again today.  We had a small reprieve last week, and saw the sun yesterday, but is back to more snow today.  Tomorrow is supposed to be heavier snow.  And more snow all week and next week.  I went to get my mail this morning before the storm blew in, and the wind was so hard I thought the door would blow off my car when I opened it.  I made it back home just as the snow was starting to fall.  So, Flora, Lily and I are staying cozy.  Lily loves her fuzzy bed next to me, and Flora prefers to be on my lap with the heated throw.  I had a massage appointment last week which had to be cancelled due to snow, and it was cancelled again for tomorrow.  We have broken a 40-year snow record already this year, and we seem to be going for the all-time record. On the positive side, it did get to 40 degrees one day last week.  Schools are closed or starting late, and government offices are closed in the State Capital.  I am over this much snow, but I will probably miss it in the summer. (I hope we don't break any heat records this summer!!!!)

IMG_1242.jpg.9f15ca03c2d5a814f2db81c53de3fba6.jpgIMG_1243.jpg.8dcb000639cfd9e32125d0e604f9b67f.jpg

Edited by CalicoKitty
missing letter
  • Like 8
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 7

As a therapist who worked at the highest level of care before inpatient, I've put far too many folks in an ambulance. The EMTs loved having me help. Whether I was giving them health info, calming a patient down, hold a patient's hand or even moving furniture out of the way - they wanted me there. And my clients wanted me there even more.

With that said the neighbors on either side of us are polar opposites, so I would offer help to both, but would do it from afar with the one neighbor.

And today, the last day of February, New England is getting hit with the first significant snow fall. It is beautiful out there.

• Like 15

We're getting winter out west.  It is raining - still or again.  I'm losing track.  We're ending the chilliest February I can remember.  Many years I've turned off the furnace by now.  It snowed at one kid's house in LA.  It was real snow covering everything not just a dusting.  

• Like 8

It's been December/January like weather here. We don't have nighttime temps in the 30s this late in winter. And no to the cold, miserable rain. Yesterday it was mixed with hail and made a slushy mess on the windshield. 

More rain coming this weekend. And no warm weather in sight! 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4

This morning it is snowing lightly but with howling winds.  We have a storm warning in place through tomorrow,  and it is expected to snow 5 inches today.  However, starting tomorrow afternoon there should be sun until the next storm blows in Saturday.  Then more snow for a week.  The weather this year is just goofy.  Very, very cold and very, very snowy.  I am so looking forward to a couple of days of sun, even if it is cold.  I feel for those of you in CA.  I hope no one is getting much flooding.  The almonds popped a couple of weeks ago, so I'm sure the ranchers are not appreciating all this rain at this time.  (I miss driving through the orchards this time of year.)

Everyone stay safe and warm!!

• Like 10

Something I think my Small Talk friends could help me with- I thought of you first @Jeeves:

My good friend just bought a used camper to vacation with her family! It’s her, her husband, their kids (5 and 2 next month). Her 80yrs old mother may also be traveling with them. 

She’s so excited for it and I wanted to get her some fun gifts (when gift occasions happen) related to the camper, but I admit that this is a style of vacation I know NOTHING about (I have been inside a camper once, when my friend’s parents brought theirs to the Walt Disney World campgrounds for my 30th). So I’m lost. What things would a family need or want to make camping more comfortable? Especially with kids and her elderly Mom?

This may make you all giggle- she is going on a trip this weekend for her sister in law’s bday and borrowed a small spinner suitcase of mine-I said, “oh let me take my luggage tag off”, she was confused, she didn’t realized I had personalized monogram luggage tags with my personal info that go on my luggage. I said “yeah my mom gave me this set as a gift when we moved here (new address) and I have Disney ones for Disney trips, and these are my moms (gestured to my mom’s suitcases with her luggage tags on them). She said “I just use the slip at the airport.” She poked fun at me for being extra! It was very funny because we are complete opposites in this area. 

PS- I got my Global Entry and TSA precheck!! Guess who’s busting out now that there is a consistent weekend caregiver. I need to reschedule my trip to Morocco- probably next spring right before my voucher expires  How I Met Your Mother Comedy GIF by Laff

• Like 13

@Scarlett45 - I'll give some thought to your question. Nothing jumps to mind right now. Did your friend buy an RV (self-powered camping vehicle) or a travel trailer? Just wondering. I hope they enjoy their camping trips.

Congratulations on the Global Entry and TSA Precheck. I got them a few years before the pandemic, and I'm SO glad. Global Entry in particular was wonderful. I don't sleep well on planes so when I stagger off a long international flight I'm usually beyond tired. Global Entry let me avoid long lines, and the boost to my spirits from that alone was worth the cost and effort to get it!

• Like 8

I would give a portable charging block.  I have a couple of the Halo brand and I always have one in my car.  It is kind of like the Swiss Army knife of chargers.  It has regular plugs so you can plug in a radio or lamp, USB ports to charge your phone, it will jump start your car, put air in a flat tire, it has a flashlight and an emergency light, and I think there is a flasher.  It comes with its own jumper cable and the storage bag has the instructions printed on it. I don't have one in front of me, but I'm guessing it is about 8 inches x4 inches x 2 inches, so very compact.  They hold a charge for over a year.  I have given them as gifts, and I like knowing I have it in the car all the time.  I have used it to jump start my car a couple of times.  There may be other brands out there, but I have been very happy with my Halo.---They are also handy in the house during a power failure.

• Like 9
  • Useful 12