Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Does anyone know about Storyworth?  I tried to link it, but, it comes up with my name and stories.  It is apparently a way to record family history.  My son and daughter in law and grands gave it to me for my birthday.  Really it will be for them.  I get a question a week, write an answer about my life and in a year we will each get book.  I think they want to know more about family history from my perspective.  Honestly, when I write my responses, it brings back and lot of misery in our family of origin.  I know I can stop.  I might one day.  Or I can sanitize my answers but that defeats the purpose.  Maybe it was the times, maybe it was my parents, but, wow, my brothers and I grew up in trauma and stress; No physical abuse (or very minimal), a lot of emotional abuse, a lot of stress and uncertainty, but, back in the olden days parenting was different.  My younger brother and I have reconnected our closeness after his wife died.  She was very sick for years with MS and he just didn't have the time or bandwidth that we used to have.  Our youngest brother got the brunt of it, and even though he was a clinical psychologist, he killed himself in 2002.  When I was in Social Work School in the 80s I had a paper on Suicide and he and I talked about it and he told me it was a rational decision. Clue #1.  Then over the years he told me more than once that he wouldn't live to be old.  Clue #2.   I guess I am just talking to y'all about how we can live through these things and come out mostly okay and functional.  I wonder why some of us do and some just can't.  I know there is the resilience thing going on.  And we did have a "safe adult" in our Grandma.  Son says my responses are "awesome". Overused word.  He can't say much about Sweet Son - they were very close and he did say how much he misses their daily conversations.  Well, anyway, even though Mr lookeyloo and I talk about all of this, just having a moment.  Thanks for listening.  

• Like 4
  • Hugs 18
56 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Does anyone know about Storyworth?

My mother in law was gifted Story Worth for 3 yrs. She also didn't care for some of the prompt questions or felt she had no story to share on some topics given.

My sister in law found you did not actually have to use their prompts each week. They have a list you can look through. You can edit the prompts they have or you can make your own questions. SIL had all the sibs and older grands write a bunch questions. That made it easier for mom and probably more interesting for us.

Other than basic family tree type stuff there weren't many stories about her parents, family trips or fun with her siblings or cousins.

My MIL doesn't share much, so I learned some interesting things about her from her stories. She had stories of elementary school friends and the games the played. Her first bike and being allowed to ride it to school for the first time. Working on her HS newspaper, meeting her future husband, where they went on dates, getting engaged when he was drafted and waiting while he was away. Her early homemaking days and how things have changed since then. Her early career and being a working mom in the 60s and things like that. The questions about raising her own family and the shenanigans of her 5 kids made for some very funny stories.

She also added pictures with some of the stories. The books are fairly expensive. I think hers was $99 each because it was 3 yrs worth of stories and with color pics. The black and white version is less.

My only advice is pick questions that you like and will enjoy answering, not ones that cause stress, anxiety or need to sugarcoat things.

• Like 5
  • Useful 6

@lookeyloo I especially liked your line that " we can live through these things and come out mostly okay and functional."

Your post made me reflect on doing something like this and I don't know that I could relive some moments. My youngest sister suffers from depression and I think may be bi-polar. She has refused meds and we've been estranged for over 15 years. My brother has begun to reach out to her and will probaby see her next month. I said he's a better person than me because she's said some things to me that I'm not ready to sweep under the rug. 

I like @crazy8s idea of answering some other questions. That might put less pressure on you.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
18 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Anyone else feel sick after receiving the flu shot? I got mine yesterday and today feeling unwell and slept most of the day. 

That sucks, but on the bright side, it’s normal.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Anyone else feel sick after receiving the flu shot? I got mine yesterday and today feeling unwell and slept most of the day. 

I don't/can't get flu vaccinations.  I'm sick enough to stay in bed for a week or two and can't leave the house for two weeks.  I'm sicker and for longer than when I've had flu so reluctantly my doctor agrees it's a bad idea for me.  Everyone else in the family always gets a flu vaccination because no one wants to be the person who gave it to me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I never get sick after a vaccination, but I think it's pretty common. I hope you are feeling better today, @oliviabenson! I had flu once and it was awful. I couldn't even get off the couch for about 24 hours! You'll be glad to be protected once you feel better. Hugs!

• Like 7
9 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I never get sick after a vaccination, but I think it's pretty common. I hope you are feeling better today, @oliviabenson! I had flu once and it was awful. I couldn't even get off the couch for about 24 hours! You'll be glad to be protected once you feel better. Hugs!

Same. I’ve had 5 Covid vaccines (including boosters), 2 shingles vaccines, and a few flu vaccines over the years, and I’ve never felt badly after any of them. Just lucky, I guess. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, AstridM said:

Same. I’ve had 5 Covid vaccines (including boosters), 2 shingles vaccines, and a few flu vaccines over the years, and I’ve never felt badly after any of them. Just lucky, I guess. 

I felt dead tired the day after the bivalent vaccine. Other than that, nada.

• Like 9

We are heading up North to see our grandkids. We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving, so this trip will take care of twice postponed Christmas and we'll finally get the last of the Christmas presents out of our living room! Almost a month after the big day!

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m feeling like my old self. I’m glad I didn’t do the COVID booster at the same time!

From now one 1 vaccine at a time for me.

Yeah, me too. I have never felt bad after any of the vaccines I've had in the past few years, except when I got both a Covid booster and my first shingles shot together last year. I still didn't feel horrible or anything, but was so tired the next day that every time I tried getting out of bed, I just ended up crawling right back in and slept most of the day. Which made for a very long night.

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

was so tired the next day that every time I tried getting out of bed, I just ended up crawling right back in and slept most of the day. Which made for a very long night.

Which is why my doctor told me to get my doses in the afternoon it seems.  The fatigue usually started around bedtime.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 1/18/2023 at 5:26 PM, lookeyloo said:

Does anyone know about Storyworth?  I tried to link it, but, it comes up with my name and stories.  It is apparently a way to record family history.  My son and daughter in law and grands gave it to me for my birthday.  Really it will be for them.  I get a question a week, write an answer about my life and in a year we will each get book.  I think they want to know more about family history from my perspective.  Honestly, when I write my responses, it brings back and lot of misery in our family of origin.  I know I can stop.  I might one day.  Or I can sanitize my answers but that defeats the purpose.  Maybe it was the times, maybe it was my parents, but, wow, my brothers and I grew up in trauma and stress; No physical abuse (or very minimal), a lot of emotional abuse, a lot of stress and uncertainty, but, back in the olden days parenting was different.  My younger brother and I have reconnected our closeness after his wife died.  She was very sick for years with MS and he just didn't have the time or bandwidth that we used to have.  Our youngest brother got the brunt of it, and even though he was a clinical psychologist, he killed himself in 2002.  When I was in Social Work School in the 80s I had a paper on Suicide and he and I talked about it and he told me it was a rational decision. Clue #1.  Then over the years he told me more than once that he wouldn't live to be old.  Clue #2.   I guess I am just talking to y'all about how we can live through these things and come out mostly okay and functional.  I wonder why some of us do and some just can't.  I know there is the resilience thing going on.  And we did have a "safe adult" in our Grandma.  Son says my responses are "awesome". Overused word.  He can't say much about Sweet Son - they were very close and he did say how much he misses their daily conversations.  Well, anyway, even though Mr lookeyloo and I talk about all of this, just having a moment.  Thanks for listening.  

Yes I’ve heard of Storyworth! Many of my peers have gifted it to their parents.

I think it could be really fun and a great way to leave memories behind, but I echo what others said above- share only what you want and what won’t cause you distress. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I’ve heard of Storyworth! Many of my peers have gifted it to their parents.

I think it could be really fun and a great way to leave memories behind, but I echo what others said above- share only what you want and what won’t cause you distress. 

Yes. I am starting to hear from son and daughter in law and grands that they like my stories. So that is encouraging. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 4

I like seeing my moms friend. She knew my grandparents. They died before I was born. She talks about them and my mom when she was young. I usually tear up because I never met my grandparents. It’s a glimpse into my family. 

Share your memories with your loved ones. They will cherish them!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

Quoting @Zella from the Joy thread:

I often watch I, Claudius in January- but the cats chewed through my blue ray power cord!!! It’s one of my FAVS and I always thought the makeup artists did an excellent job, you know why? Derek Jacobi LOOKS LIKE his old age makeup 50yrs later!  

A recent photo as himself 

4D276487-33F6-4924-B3AC-8A4D31D42125.thumb.webp.2712d295b43ae12df09be1c88f87d290.webp

a photo from the set with him as older Claudius-33F550C2-B551-4BBF-B083-62CF737E632B.png.40141cc1d0c09ba64b640a271f2bfaf5.png

That’s GOOD. They did make him look like his older self. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Quoting @Zella from the Joy thread:

I often watch I, Claudius in January- but the cats chewed through my blue ray power cord!!! It’s one of my FAVS and I always thought the makeup artists did an excellent job, you know why? Derek Jacobi LOOKS LIKE his old age makeup 50yrs later!  

A recent photo as himself 

4D276487-33F6-4924-B3AC-8A4D31D42125.thumb.webp.2712d295b43ae12df09be1c88f87d290.webp

a photo from the set with him as older Claudius-33F550C2-B551-4BBF-B083-62CF737E632B.png.40141cc1d0c09ba64b640a271f2bfaf5.png

That’s GOOD. They did make him look like his older self. 

I think they did a good job with the old age makeup, too, though I've seen a lot of interviews where the actors complained bitterly about it. LOL 

I usually revisit I, Claudius in the fall. I'm not entirely sure why it ends up being autumn. (I think I first watched it in the fall, so maybe that's why.) But it's easily one of my all-time favorite miniseries. When I first watched it, I ended up watching it twice all over again before I could move on to something else. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6

I am going to out myself as a big, dumb dope...or at least the most non-observant person around. I've been posting on these forums for ages and just today I noticed that arrow in the lower right corner that brings you quickly to the top of the page. Has it always been there? I was about to suggest that with the next software update, they add a button like that! And suddenly I noticed that it's already there!

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I am going to out myself as a big, dumb dope...or at least the most non-observant person around. I've been posting on these forums for ages and just today I noticed that arrow in the lower right corner that brings you quickly to the top of the page. Has it always been there? I was about to suggest that with the next software update, they add a button like that! And suddenly I noticed that it's already there!

Yes, it’s always been there and I’m constantly hitting it by accident, lol. 🤣

• LOL 5

So with this most recent upgrade to Prime Timer, I'm getting huge ads for toenail fungus remover at the bottom of every screen. Just.... EW. Anyone else, or just me? Wondering if I'm being targeted.... does my computer have smell-o-vision? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

There's a forum under Site Business, Bugs, for reporting bad ads. That ad has been reported by others frequently. I use an ad blocker which is the only way I can use this site. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, P2C2E said:

There's a forum under Site Business, Bugs, for reporting bad ads. That ad has been reported by others frequently. I use an ad blocker which is the only way I can use this site. 

I'm Team Ad Blocker too. I never see any ads on here. 

• Like 9

I went to the dentist and got a new crown yesterday. Though it's never happened to me for any dental work before, yesterday it took 3 shots of Novacain to get me fully numb. I have an ok pain threshold and do not have fear of the dentist, but for some reason it just wasn't working for me. Anyway, I also bit my cheek and it's so annoying alongside my temporary crown. I'm really feeling sorry for myself today and Mr. BB is especially annoying to me today too. I guess I'm in a bit of a funk! My dentist is very gentle and kind, so I do believe the problem was mine. 

I'm rinsing with salt water and putting Anbesol in my cheek and taking an NSAID and that's helping. I really hope tomorrow goes better!

• Hugs 15
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I went to the dentist and got a new crown yesterday. Though it's never happened to me for any dental work before, yesterday it took 3 shots of Novacain to get me fully numb. I have an ok pain threshold and do not have fear of the dentist, but for some reason it just wasn't working for me. Anyway, I also bit my cheek and it's so annoying alongside my temporary crown. I'm really feeling sorry for myself today and Mr. BB is especially annoying to me today too. I guess I'm in a bit of a funk! My dentist is very gentle and kind, so I do believe the problem was mine. 

I'm rinsing with salt water and putting Anbesol in my cheek and taking an NSAID and that's helping. I really hope tomorrow goes better!

If it makes you feel any better, they always have to dose me like a baby elephant. Not sure why, but they now have notes in the system warning them about it--and my gag reflex. It's not your fault, and I'm sure it's just a normal part of their day at the dental office. Hope you're feeling better soon!

• Like 14
8 hours ago, Zella said:

If it makes you feel any better, they always have to dose me like a baby elephant. Not sure why, but they now have notes in the system warning them about it--and my gag reflex. It's not your fault, and I'm sure it's just a normal part of their day at the dental office. Hope you're feeling better soon!

That does make me feel better! You are right, @Zella - the staff was fine with it. My dentist was not going to start until I was numb. She really didn't want me to be in pain at all. My cheek is healing and I think in a few days, I'll forget all about it. 

• Like 10

I went to the dentist today and the (fresh out of school) hygienist had a new trick to deal with my crazy gag reflex so I could get X-rays done. She put a tiny pinch of salt on my tongue before putting in the "film" (quotes because it's digital) holder. It worked!

• Like 8
  • Useful 6
14 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I went to the dentist today and the (fresh out of school) hygienist had a new trick to deal with my crazy gag reflex so I could get X-rays done. She put a tiny pinch of salt on my tongue before putting in the "film" (quotes because it's digital) holder. It worked!

I'm so happy they found a solution for your Xray issues.  My problem isn't gagging, it is getting the holder into my mouth--and out again.  I have a kid-sized mouth and jaw, but have to use adult films.  I hate having dental Xrays.  It is always a production. I actually had an endodontist tell me he hoped he never had to work on me again.  He didn't.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 3
19 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Oh that's interesting! They have to use a numbing spray on me. 

18 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm so happy they found a solution for your Xray issues.  My problem isn't gagging, it is getting the holder into my mouth--and out again.  I have a kid-sized mouth and jaw, but have to use adult films.  I hate having dental Xrays.  It is always a production. I actually had an endodontist tell me he hoped he never had to work on me again.  He didn't.

I have a really bad gag reflex--I've vomited on them enough times at the dentist they believe me when I warn them--and my dentist has told me he thinks my small mouth is a contributing factor for why it's so severe. I never had any orthodontia when I was a kid because I have straight teeth and because of that, I don't think it occurred to anyone in my family that there was anything potentially wrong, but he told me I really should have had a palate expander when I was younger. They have to give me kid bitewings, and that and the numbing spray help a lot, but it's still an ordeal. For them and me. LOL 

• Hugs 7
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2023 at 5:58 PM, BetyBee said:

It's not your fault.  It is not like the dentist can tell where the nerves are under the surface of the gums by just looking.  They learn in school and some learn the anatomy better than others.  The dentist was probably not quite in the right place to completely anesthetize that particular nerve for you, so you needed a re-dose or two.  Happens all the time.  You cannot tell by looking at the gums whether they're numb, either, it is trial and error.  The longer someone practices, the better they get at it for the most part, but there are some people who are just really intuitive and can visualize where to go with the needle.  Others not so much.

There are some people who never get properly numb no matter who is doing the injections or how many.  They probably have aberrant nerves that are not in the usual place and harder to reach properly because of it.

• Useful 8

No idea how accurate the science is, but apparently redheads also have genetics that cause them to process anaesthesia faster and can require more frequent anesthesia than others.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
23 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

No idea how accurate the science is, but apparently redheads also have genetics that cause them to process anaesthesia faster and can require more frequent anesthesia than others.

I'm not a redhead, so that doesn't explain my issues, but I have heard that and one of my friends who is a redhead does have this problem too. 

We are all different. Sweet son's older brother didn't want to wear his coat, hat or gloves at recess in kindergarten in winter in Northern California winter. Sweet Son and I stayed bundled up. The  teachers insisted I allow them to "force" him to wear these items or take him to the doctor. Which I did. Blood work drawn. All normal. Doctor said let him be. He will know when he is cold. I couldn't in good conscience force him because he was miserable or because it didn't look right to others. He is grown up and lives in the PNW and still rarely wears a coat in winter. Sometimes it is not bad or neglectful parenting and some issues are not worth fighting. Maybe Sam and Derick aren't cold enough or will get a coat later. 

edited to add that oldest grandson (who is in first year law school) told his parents in high school not to get him a winter jacket because he didn't need it and wouldn't wear it. In the PNW

Quoting @lookeyloo above from the Jill thread. 

You are a great Mom, @lookeyloo- So it's good that you made that parenting choice in mind with what was best for your son and not other factors.

No way would any of my elders or caregivers allowed me to be outside in public not dressed in the way they deemed appropriate. NEVER, had I disobeyed I would've been punished. Not that I wanted to disobey, I always loved wearing clothes so I didn't go through a "naked phase" the way a lot of little kids do. My sister's "naked phase" lasted for years (to great frustration to her caregivers), and finally they figured out that loose nightgowns were something she would keep on that would cover her enough, and that is what she wears now at home on the daily (longer or thicker depending on the season), we buy them from Woman Within, she loves anything red, Christmas or stripped. Her street clothes are dark joggers/sweatshirts (things that are easy to get on that don't show dirt or stains), and loose long dresses in the summer. My sister refuses to wear house slippers which my Mom still bitches about, drove my great aunt (who was our nanny) nuts.  I am sure with her it is a sensory thing, and she has no social sense of "shame" or the need to cover herself. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Lol, this discussion reminds me of the old saying, "A sweater is a garment you wear when your mother's cold." 

I’m 37 years old and my Mom still reminds me to wear enough clothes in the winter time. ME! 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2023 at 12:20 PM, BetyBee said:

I am going to out myself as a big, dumb dope...or at least the most non-observant person around. I've been posting on these forums for ages and just today I noticed that arrow in the lower right corner that brings you quickly to the top of the page. 

I had no idea it was there either.  😳

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Thinking of @jcbrown’s post from the Jinger thread-

Am I the ONLY person who didn’t think Michelle charting her period on the calendar in the kitchen was weird? Not like they had cell phones then.

(spoiler tagging because people might not be interested)

I don’t think it’s weird because my Mom always did that, she was a / over the date her period started, I was an X and my sister was circle (those few years we were all menstruating) eventually my mom was menopausal, I went to college and cell phones/electronic calendars  came a thing so I tracked mine electronically, and then my mom just writes “menses” on the date my sister’s period starts and a circle on it’s expected arrival the next month so we and the caregivers can keep track. Now granted we were a women’s only home after my grandfather died, and before that he was blind and couldn’t see it. But my mom grew up doing this with HER mom on the calendar in the kitchen. Her mom was an x, she was a / until her mom was menopausal. Trust she never connected it to her parents sex life, EWWWW but my Mom was an only child and the black mothers of my grandmother’s generation kept a firm watch on the sanitary pad supply based on other black women from that time I talked to. So maybe this just a super odd thing and I’m just used to it???

JB and Michelle were weird and gross and hypersexual around their kids, but this particular instance didn’t seem odd to me, it just feels weird with everything else we know about them? Or my family was odd and that’s okay!🤣

• Like 2

I think charting it publicly in the kitchen is pretty weird. It may not be as big of a deal in a home with a mom and her 2 daughters, but my stepmother always tracked hers in a small calendar she kept in her purse. She explained to me when I started my own that I needed to track it and showed her calendar and tracking system to me (which I found helpful), but it certainly wasn't something that was advertised for anyone who came over or to my brother. As a long-time diarist, I tracked mine in my diary from the age of 12 until I got a smartphone in my 20s and used an app. I don't remember what I did between the ages of 10 and 12, but it certainly wasn't displayed publicly. 

I don't personally know anyone else who tracked it publicly like the Duggars. All the older women I know would do some variation of what my stepmother did, with a calendar they kept in their purse.

My mom . . . had a problem with TMI and not enough information (fueled by copious amounts of vodka). I have no clue if she tracked or period or not, but her solution to explaining periods to me was to show me the blood in the toilet one day when I was 8 or 9 without much more explanation and to tell me it didn't mean I was dying because that's what her mother thought when hers started. Thanks, Mom. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 10
  • Hugs 1
14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thinking of @jcbrown’s post from the Jinger thread-

Am I the ONLY person who didn’t think Michelle charting her period on the calendar in the kitchen was weird? Not like they had cell phones then.

(spoiler tagging because people might not be interested)

Hide contents

I don’t think it’s weird because my Mom always did that, she was a / over the date her period started, I was an X and my sister was circle (those few years we were all menstruating) eventually my mom was menopausal, I went to college and cell phones/electronic calendars  came a thing so I tracked mine electronically, and then my mom just writes “mensus” on the date my sister’s period starts and a circle on it’s expected arrival the next month so we and the caregivers can keep track. Now granted we were a women’s only home after my grandfather died, and before that he was blind and couldn’t see it. But my mom grew up doing this with HER mom on the calendar in the kitchen. Her mom was an x, she was a / until her mom was menopausal. Trust she never connected it to her parents sex life, EWWWW but my Mom was an only child and the black mothers of my grandmother’s generation kept a firm watch on the sanitary pad supply based on other black women from that time I talked to. So maybe this just a super odd thing and I’m just used to it???

JB and Michelle were weird and gross and hypersexual around their kids, but this particular instance didn’t seem odd to me, it just feels weird with everything else we know about them? Or my family was odd and that’s okay!🤣

I am one of 5 sisters and none of us kept a menstrual chart, neither did my mother.  I cannot imagine having one posted publicly in the kitchen for all and sundry to read.  I've been menopausal for more than a decade and didn't ever keep track of my cycles, even when they got irregular as I approached menopause, even once cell phone apps arrived.

However, at least before we were perimenopausal, my mother, sisters and I were regular like clockwork, every 28 days and it wouldn't have been hard to figure it out if I needed to know.  When I went to college, I remember having a convo with my 3 roommates about periods and one asked if mine were regular.  " Pretty regular, mine comes every fourth Saturday between 8AM and noon."  I really was that regular.  They looked at me like i had 3 heads.

As a gynecologist, I can say that menstrual tracking via calendar or notes or whatever really was not common at all until the past few year.  I've seen hundreds, probably thousands, of women with menstrual complaints in the past 40 years and, back in the day, even women who were concerned about their periods didn't often keep track.  I sent plenty of women home with a calendar and asked them to mark the days they were bleeding and how heavy in order to get an idea of the scope of the problem.

However, nowadays, menstrual tracking using an app has become quite popular and it seems like many, if not most, women under 40 who are having periods are using an app to keep track.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I am one of 5 sisters and none of us kept a menstrual chart, neither did my mother.  I cannot imagine having one posted publicly in the kitchen for all and sundry to read.  I've been menopausal for more than a decade and didn't ever keep track of my cycles, even when they got irregular as I approached menopause, even once cell phone apps arrived.

However, at least before we were perimenopausal, my mother, sisters and I were regular like clockwork, every 28 days and it wouldn't have been hard to figure it out if I needed to know.  When I went to college, I remember having a convo with my 3 roommates about periods and one asked if mine were regular.  " Pretty regular, mine comes every fourth Saturday between 8AM and noon."  I really was that regular.  They looked at me like i had 3 heads.

As a gynecologist, I can say that menstrual tracking via calendar or notes or whatever really was not common at all until the past few year.  I've seen hundreds, probably thousands, of women with menstrual complaints in the past 40 years and, back in the day, even women who were concerned about their periods didn't often keep track.  I sent plenty of women home with a calendar and asked them to mark the days they were bleeding and how heavy in order to get an idea of the scope of the problem.

However, nowadays, menstrual tracking using an app has become quite popular and it seems like many, if not most, women under 40 who are having periods are using an app to keep track.

Very interesting. When I was little I thought this was an Ob/Gyn thing as my Mom did it (she graduated med school in 1976). She always tracked her periods, a habit she got from her mom. The women in my father’s family did it too- my great aunts and cousins, but I don’t think they had the /, o, x method like we did, my great aunt E (who died Oct 2021) was born in 1934 and tracked hers in her date book in her purse. Maybe it was just more common in my social group?

Yes I know women use apps now, but I meant before there were apps. The “menses” in my Mom’s handwriting cracks me up- like Mommy we have apps for that. Probably after my Mom is dead will just track my sister’s period in an app like a typical person. 

So I’m guessing this is a “my family thing” and not related to my Mom’s profession. That’s okay!🤣

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Very interesting. When I was little I thought this was an Ob/Gyn thing as my Mom did it (she graduated med school in 1976). She always tracked her periods, a habit she got from her mom. The women in my father’s family did it too- my great aunts and cousins, but I don’t think they had the /, o, x method like we did, my great aunt E (who died Oct 2021) was born in 1934 and tracked hers in her date book in her purse. Maybe it was just more common in my social group?

Yes I know women use apps now, but I meant before there were apps. The “mensus” in my Mom’s handwriting cracks me up- like Mommy we have apps for that. Probably after my Mom is dead will just track my sister’s period in an app like a typical person. 

So I’m guessing this is a “my family thing” and not related to my Mom’s profession. That’s okay!🤣

If your OB/GYN mom spelled menses as 'mensus' on her calendar, I would crack up too.😉

Your mom and I are essentially the same vintage, I graduated med  school in '82.  

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, Zella said:

As a long-time diarist, I tracked mine in my diary from the age of 12 until I got a smartphone in my 20s and used an app. I don't remember what I did between the ages of 10 and 12, but it certainly wasn't displayed publicly. 

We are about the same age I think (I’m born in 1985) so this tracks. The calendar wasn’t “advertised” it was just there like the toilet paper roll was in the bathroom. We checked it when we needed to and my sister’s caregivers referenced when needed. So when I heard Michelle Duggar did this I was NOT phased, i went “yeah that’s what we did.”

3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

If your OB/GYN mom spelled menses as 'mensus' on her calendar, I would crack up too.😉

My typo! I will correct. 🤣🤣🤣🤣Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

We are about the same age I think (I’m born in 1985) so this tracks.

Yes I'm 4 years younger. Pretty much everyone my age whom I've talked to uses an app now, but I've read a fair amount of privacy concerns about the apps. I have seen quite a few discussion threads where women advocated the old purse calendars as a more secure alternative. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1