Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Update- looks like all the furry ones are a-ok with solid tummies. 

My mom had an AMAZING time at the luncheon today (it was far, so a long time driving but worth it), my sister got a Valentine’s gift from her weekend caregiver (OMG so sweet!🥰) and I am EXHAUSTED. I’m glad my Mommy, my sister and my furry ones are happy. Cavendish says hi to everyone. 

E4E5AD56-95D4-49B0-8AA9-8809366E99C2.jpeg

Cavendish is very cute.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

in the josh/anna thread someone posted about how Price Harry had long doubted his mothers death etc. when he was young.  that was a trigger for me when i heard him talk about it.

my grandmother was my 'person' and when she died, i was unable to be there with my family for various stupid reasons. i did not see her go, did not even see her in the hospital. she was just gone one day.  i have had dreams over the many years since that she was not dead, just being hidden away from me somewhere. i used to wake at night in tears, wondering where she was. i would dream she was locked up in hospitals and think i should be trying to find her. i guess her passing really traumatized me WAY more than i was able to handle at the time. funny what our brains do to us. and i wasn't a child when she left, like Prince Harry was. i can only imagine what that poor guy has gone through.

• Hugs 16
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, zoomama said:

in the josh/anna thread someone posted about how Price Harry had long doubted his mothers death etc. when he was young.  that was a trigger for me when i heard him talk about it.

my grandmother was my 'person' and when she died, i was unable to be there with my family for various stupid reasons. i did not see her go, did not even see her in the hospital. she was just gone one day.  i have had dreams over the many years since that she was not dead, just being hidden away from me somewhere. i used to wake at night in tears, wondering where she was. i would dream she was locked up in hospitals and think i should be trying to find her. i guess her passing really traumatized me WAY more than i was able to handle at the time. funny what our brains do to us. and i wasn't a child when she left, like Prince Harry was. i can only imagine what that poor guy has gone through.

You all may remember my deep affection for my great aunt E, who was my second favorite human (after my mom), she was living in a hoarding situation, and I fell out with her daughter/caregiver/my cousin over it in 2021. The entire situation caused me so much heartbreak and pain, because of my deep love for her and watching my cousin mentally decline. 

After she died last October I had a few dreams where I would show up to a restaurant and my cousin would tell me that Aunt E wasnt dead, it was all a "misunderstanding". I remember going to the theatre November 2021 and thinking every well dressed elderly black woman was Aunt E (especially because we were masking then and half of people's faces were covered)- we went to the theatre a lot and my Aunt didnt take out the trash without being well dressed with a full face of makeup. 

I heard my cousin's voice over speaker when I was hanging out with another cousin and hearing that voice made my entire body tense up in a way I couldn't have imagined. 

Of course I am sad I have to live the rest of my life without my Aunt E, she was a treasure, and 87 is a full human life span, but I know the circumstances around her death and the end of my relationship with my cousin (who I idolized and admired when I was little) has left a mark on my heart that may never heal. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 21

Okay. I've followed the Duggars much too long. Last night I watched my DVR recording of the PBS video "Lucy Worsley Investigates: The Black Death" It's about the 1348-50 plague that killed 30% to 40% of England's population. Instead of centering on London and giving us endless footage of gory horrible deets of the disease's progress, she looked into the plague's effects on society, and focused on what's been revealed by research into Walsham-le-Willows, a Suffolk village. IMO it was very good.

Worsley noted that in the mid 14th Century England was deeply religious, and the Church held powerful sway over society. As the plague cut its deadly swath across the land, the clergy of course were looked to for explanations. Obviously this was long before bacteria were discovered. My ears perked up at about the 32 minute mark. Worsley was talking about the sermons preached by the clergy that told worshippers that the plague had arrived, and it was punishment for "our sins." She said, "Some clergy were quick to blame plague on immoral women, and their choice of dress." She illustrates this with drawings of 14th Century women's clothing. One picture shows dresses with cut-outs that show parts of the layer of clothing beneath, in some cases layers that are close-fitting to the body shape. These cutouts were abhorred by the clergy, and were called "windows to hell." And of course my mind jumped to the Duggars. 

Nothing new under the sun, just different versions. Gothard's "eye-traps" however, are pallid concepts compared to those "windows to hell." Really watered-down by comparison. 🤣

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 4
  • Useful 9
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Okay. I've followed the Duggars much too long. Last night I watched my DVR recording of the PBS video "Lucy Worsley Investigates: The Black Death" It's about the 1348-50 plague that killed 30% to 40% of England's population. Instead of centering on London and giving us endless footage of gory horrible deets of the disease's progress, she looked into the plague's effects on society, and focused on what's been revealed by research into Walsham-le-Willows, a Suffolk village. IMO it was very good.

Worsley noted that in the mid 14th Century England was deeply religious, and the Church held powerful sway over society. As the plague cut its deadly swath across the land, the clergy of course were looked to for explanations. Obviously this was long before bacteria were discovered. My ears perked up at about the 32 minute mark. Worsley was talking about the sermons preached by the clergy that told worshippers that the plague had arrived, and it was punishment for "our sins." She said, "Some clergy were quick to blame plague on immoral women, and their choice of dress." She illustrates this with drawings of 14th Century women's clothing. One picture shows dresses with cut-outs that show parts of the layer of clothing beneath, in some cases layers that are close-fitting to the body shape. These cutouts were abhorred by the clergy, and were called "windows to hell." And of course my mind jumped to the Duggars. 

Nothing new under the sun, just different versions. Gothard's "eye-traps" however, are pallid concepts compared to those "windows to hell." Really watered-down by comparison. 🤣

I love Lucy Worsley- I have not seen this one though! I will add it to my list. Thanks for recommending. 

• Like 6

I must be reading too much here!!  I dreamed I was part of the Dillard bubble of sorts.  Not Covid related, just knew them and was talking to them about homeschooling and they had what they thought were really good reasons and i was trying to say "have you considered" and they said yes, and rejected.  In my dream they were very pleasant.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 10
3 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I must be reading too much here!!  I dreamed I was part of the Dillard bubble of sorts.  Not Covid related, just knew them and was talking to them about homeschooling and they had what they thought were really good reasons and i was trying to say "have you considered" and they said yes, and rejected.  In my dream they were very pleasant.  

I have had Duggar dreams too, not recently though. 

• Like 5
On 2/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, zoomama said:

I still dream my mom is alive somewhere and I’m rushing to get to her. You are not alone in dreams like that. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 13
On 2/5/2023 at 1:27 PM, zoomama said:

My late husband worked for the Forest Service and from June to November would usually be gone for weeks at a time, working communications on forest fires throughout the nation. My children were between 8 and 16 when he died and every one of them told me at some point that it felt like daddy was out on a fire. The 20th aniversary of his death was in January and my oldest daughter told me she dreamed she was still 14 and dad came walking in the house and no one believed her when she said he was dead. She woke up crying and said it was as if he had died all over again. 

• Hugs 22
  • Sad 1

I guess I got lucky on the dream front, for once. When Mom was dying of Alzheimer's, she was sick in my dreams. I remember the first time I had a dream where she was well and it was after she had died and I was so happy to see her healthy again. Then when Dad was dying of his Alzheimer's, Mom came to me in dreams and she was still okay but he was not. I think my brain gave me that to make me feel her support during his illness. I have gotten to see him healthy in my dreams since he died, too, but I expected it so it was not a wonderful surprise the way it was the first time I got to see Mom okay again.

And I just choked myself up.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 18
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I guess I got lucky on the dream front, for once. When Mom was dying of Alzheimer's, she was sick in my dreams. I remember the first time I had a dream where she was well and it was after she had died and I was so happy to see her healthy again. Then when Dad was dying of his Alzheimer's, Mom came to me in dreams and she was still okay but he was not. I think my brain gave me that to make me feel her support during his illness. I have gotten to see him healthy in my dreams since he died, too, but I expected it so it was not a wonderful surprise the way it was the first time I got to see Mom okay again.

And I just choked myself up.

@jcbrown- That is beautiful. Poignant. I think you are absolutely right in your interpretation and that you did get lucky on the dream front.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
On 1/27/2023 at 7:05 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m 37 years old and my Mom still reminds me to wear enough clothes in the winter time. ME! 🤣

I'm 64, and get the same thing from my mom. She cannot come to grips with the fact that I don't tend to feel the cold, and hate the feeling of layers of clothing, so I almost never wear a coat just to go to the store or something where my actual time outside will be pretty minimal. For me, if it's not too windy, I'm fine in a long-sleeved blouse or light sweater until it's getting well below 40, and a heavier sweater until it gets below 20. I wore my coat for the first time this winter last weekend when we were seeing below 0 temps with major wind chill 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
16 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm 64, and get the same thing from my mom. She cannot come to grips with the fact that I don't tend to feel the cold, and hate the feeling of layers of clothing, so I almost never wear a coat just to go to the store or something where my actual time outside will be pretty minimal. For me, if it's not too windy, I'm fine in a long-sleeved blouse or light sweater until it's getting well below 40, and a heavier sweater until it gets below 20. I wore my coat for the first time this winter last weekend when we were seeing below 0 temps with major wind chill 

Mommies are gonna mommy. 

When I took my mom to her last Dr appt there was an issue at the Starbucks drive through so a young man was running drinks out to people in line (in their cars, it was maybe 18F and -7C). My mom commented “not a hat on his head!” I told her “I think grown people know when they are cold.😂” She gave me a dirty look. It was hilarious. Trust I am amazed too, but I can believe they aren’t cold just like I’m not hot when it’s 85. 

• LOL 14

I have a question for the people work in the medical field. First I am not asking you to diagnose something just explain something if you can. About a week and a half ago I started having symptoms of a UTI. I used a home test ( Urinox-10) to check things out. It showed positive for Leukocytes. This is a concern for me because I was going to see my Dr to have an infusion for arthritis.  This medication lowers my immune system so if I have an existing infection it will become worse. After talking with the tech we decided to wait. I did a phone consultation with a Dr and he prescribed an antibiotic. I took the medication as prescribed.  After I did anther test and again tested positive for Leckocytes. I used two different tests Urinox - 10 and Azo. I went to the the Dr today and their test showed no problem. I had taken a picture of the test strip to show him the results and he blew me off. I am not happy with that... anyway he gave me a prescription for the symptoms. Sorry for the novel but I wanted to explain what was going on before I asked my question which is WHY? Why do my symptoms and home test show something is wrong but the Dr's test show clear. The is the second time this has happened at that office  which is why I went to the trouble to doing the home testing and taking pictures.  Thank you for your time.

24 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have a question for the people work in the medical field. First I am not asking you to diagnose something just explain something if you can. About a week and a half ago I started having symptoms of a UTI. I used a home test ( Urinox-10) to check things out. It showed positive for Leukocytes. This is a concern for me because I was going to see my Dr to have an infusion for arthritis.  This medication lowers my immune system so if I have an existing infection it will become worse. After talking with the tech we decided to wait. I did a phone consultation with a Dr and he prescribed an antibiotic. I took the medication as prescribed.  After I did anther test and again tested positive for Leckocytes. I used two different tests Urinox - 10 and Azo. I went to the the Dr today and their test showed no problem. I had taken a picture of the test strip to show him the results and he blew me off. I am not happy with that... anyway he gave me a prescription for the symptoms. Sorry for the novel but I wanted to explain what was going on before I asked my question which is WHY? Why do my symptoms and home test show something is wrong but the Dr's test show clear. The is the second time this has happened at that office  which is why I went to the trouble to doing the home testing and taking pictures.  Thank you for your time.

Probably the home test is not as accurate as the test in the doctor's office. Leukocytes are white cells which can be signs of infection but can also be present for other reasons.  Part of the test should include a general amount of leukocytes being seen by the strip.  If it is barely positive, then there are not many there and more likely that the test is a false positive.  If the test shows a large number of leukocytes, then far more likely there is a UTI.

Why would there be a trace or small leukocytes present in the urine without a UTI?  Most likely because the specimen was contaminated by vaginal discharge, menstrual flow or even just surface debris on the outer vulva.  That's why we give people the wipe to use before producing the specimen, less likely to get stuff in there that doesn't belong.

The urine strips we use in the office test for multiple things, not just leukocytes, which are nonspecific.  There is usually always a test done for nitrites and for leukocyte esterase which are enzymes produced by bacteria that cause UTI's.  There is also a test for blood which is often present in infections.  Doing all of these tests is far more helpful in diagnosing a UTI than leukocytes alone which has a high rate of false positives.

Personally, I think the home UTI tests are probably a waste of money in most cases.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • Useful 12
29 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Probably the home test is not as accurate as the test in the doctor's office. Leukocytes are white cells which can be signs of infection but can also be present for other reasons.  Part of the test should include a general amount of leukocytes being seen by the strip.  If it is barely positive, then there are not many there and more likely that the test is a false positive.  If the test shows a large number of leukocytes, then far more likely there is a UTI.

Why would there be a trace or small leukocytes present in the urine without a UTI?  Most likely because the specimen was contaminated by vaginal discharge, menstrual flow or even just surface debris on the outer vulva.  That's why we give people the wipe to use before producing the specimen, less likely to get stuff in there that doesn't belong.

The urine strips we use in the office test for multiple things, not just leukocytes, which are nonspecific.  There is usually always a test done for nitrites and for leukocyte esterase which are enzymes produced by bacteria that cause UTI's.  There is also a test for blood which is often present in infections.  Doing all of these tests is far more helpful in diagnosing a UTI than leukocytes alone which has a high rate of false positives.

Personally, I think the home UTI tests are probably a waste of money in most cases.

Thank you. I wish the Dr. would have taken two minutes to explain that to me. I do not expect the home test to be as accurate as the Dr.s but I was concerned when the Azo showed a dark purple.  You have relived my mind and I appreciate it. However next time I go to that clinic I will do my best to not see that Dr. He and I were not a good match. 

• Like 9

All helpful to me, re: UTI. I had my very first one starting Christmas Eve! Very convenient!.  Also felt vagina involved. Went to Urgent Care on Wednesday (first one, thought it was just passing).  EColi.  Got on antibiotic.  Still having issues there and in vagina (hysterectomy 1992ish).  Contacted primary care.  Go to Urgent care or "your gynecologist".   I haven't had a gynecologist in years. Asked could they make me an appointment.  No.   Called the Emory find a doctor.  They gave me a list of clinics seeing patients in the far future.  I got lucky with a nice young woman for the next morning.  I think she is very new so not booked solid.  Another test. Still positive.  More of same drug which I realized i was having a bad reaction to. Called back.  Next day saw her again.  Took vaginal swab.  Bacteria.  Add gel to treatment.  Said to see Uro-gynecologist. Who knew there was such a thing.  By some luck I got an appointment for Valentine's Day. Yay what fun.  A friend recommended D-Mannos, which seemed harmless and seems to help.  As of yesterday it all feels normal again, but I am keeping the long awaited appointment on the 14th just to be sure, and to then not be a "new patient".  I understand we elderly people can have issues with UTIs as we get more elderly.  I had to fill out 5 long questionnaires.  Who knew there were so many problems, tests, drugs, procedures, etc. for the "areas".  I hope I don't need any but am preparing my head if I do.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 14

I just picked up my medicine.  It is Nitrofuantion for 3 days. The Dr said it was to treat my symptoms because I did not have a UTI which is great. The information sheet says Nitrofuantion is an antibiotic used to treat or prevent certain urinary track infections and that confuses me , i why did he prescribe an antibiotic if I have  do not have an UTI? I am very glad to have the medicine if it just relieves symptoms, that is great and if it relieves symptoms while stopping an infection that is even better. It is odd that the Dr. I had a phone office visit ( forgot what to call that ) his prescription was for 3 days also. Is 3 days the standard now for antibiotics for UTI's? I am allergic to Penicillin and Sulfa si it can be challenging to get a good antibiotic.  I am glad to have the medicine.  At 66 I have to be careful. 

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I just picked up my medicine.  It is Nitrofuantion for 3 days. The Dr said it was to treat my symptoms because I did not have a UTI which is great. The information sheet says Nitrofuantion is an antibiotic used to treat or prevent certain urinary track infections and that confuses me , i why did he prescribe an antibiotic if I have  do not have an UTI? I am very glad to have the medicine if it just relieves symptoms, that is great and if it relieves symptoms while stopping an infection that is even better. It is odd that the Dr. I had a phone office visit ( forgot what to call that ) his prescription was for 3 days also. Is 3 days the standard now for antibiotics for UTI's? I am allergic to Penicillin and Sulfa si it can be challenging to get a good antibiotic.  I am glad to have the medicine.  At 66 I have to be careful. 

Very confusing.  I took that drug twice a day for 7 days.  Also, used the AZO urinary pain relief, and that worked great for symptoms after I was diagnosed and on treatment.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

That's what I was told about my mother.  Don't even bother.  With her insurance getting her tested was free so they said all you're doing is taking the time and effort to bring her in.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic and it is used to treat UTI's.  I presume he is being extra cautious and presuming that you could have a UTI despite the negative testing since you are symptomatic..  Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) works well against UTI's and is less likely to stimulate yeast overgrowth in the vagina.

3-5 days is the typical length of time to treat most UTI's these days unless there is a particularly stubborn infection or some other complicating factor.

5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Is it odd to have never had a UTI? From what I’ve been told they’re rather painful, so I assume I’d know. 

Signed,

Old lady asking an odd question.

It's not necessarily odd, but most women have had at least one in their lifetime because our uretrhas are very short so it is relatively easy for bacteria to travel from the skin to the bladder.

• Useful 6
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

It's not necessarily odd, but most women have had at least one in their lifetime because our uretrhas are very short so it is relatively easy for bacteria to travel from the skin to the bladder.

Perhaps I had twinges and not pain. I was thinking I must have had one at some point(s), it would seem impossible not to.

1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic and it is used to treat UTI's.  I presume he is being extra cautious and presuming that you could have a UTI despite the negative testing since you are symptomatic..  Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) works well against UTI's and is less likely to stimulate yeast overgrowth in the vagina.

3-5 days is the typical length of time to treat most UTI's these days unless there is a particularly stubborn infection or some other complicating factor.

Thank you for the great information. It has been extremely helpful. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

However next time I go to that clinic I will do my best to not see that Dr. He and I were not a good match. 

Good for you. The time before last when I was getting my teeth cleaned, I really did not hit it off with the hygenist. I felt bad about it, but I told the front desk I would like to book with someone else going forward. Sometimes it is hard to stand up for oneself but it is so important.

5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am allergic to Penicillin and Sulfa si it can be challenging to get a good antibiotic.  I am glad to have the medicine.  At 66 I have to be careful. 

You may want to consider getting an in-office challenge with penicillin, if you have not done so. I had some reaction to something when I had it as a baby in the early 60s but read in the last decade that there was a huge over-diagnosis of penicillin allergies early in the drug's tenure. Got a challenge test at my allergist that took several hours but revealed no penicillin allergy. I have at least one friend who had the same experience. Weird but good to know going forward. It's hard to get used to not automatically rattling it off as an allergy. And it was very weird to take an oral dosage of something I'd thought I was allergic to for so long (as part of the challenge).

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Good for you. The time before last when I was getting my teeth cleaned, I really did not hit it off with the hygenist. I felt bad about it, but I told the front desk I would like to book with someone else going forward. Sometimes it is hard to stand up for oneself but it is so important.

You may want to consider getting an in-office challenge with penicillin, if you have not done so. I had some reaction to something when I had it as a baby in the early 60s but read in the last decade that there was a huge over-diagnosis of penicillin allergies early in the drug's tenure. Got a challenge test at my allergist that took several hours but revealed no penicillin allergy. I have at least one friend who had the same experience. Weird but good to know going forward. It's hard to get used to not automatically rattling it off as an allergy. And it was very weird to take an oral dosage of something I'd thought I was allergic to for so long (as part of the challenge).

I ask a doctor to see if we could find out is I was allergic to Penicillin  and he was not aware of a way to do this. He was not an allergist he was a family doctor.   My mother was told I was allergic when I was  young child in the 60s. Next time a see a Dr ( not this one) I will ask.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I was planning to do this years ago, but dropped the ball.  I need to do it, because it makes penicillin a treatment option, that you may need one day.  I’m putting it on my to do list.  

Does anyone have any experience with carrying their phone in a phone/wallet?  They have a place for a few cards and your phone.  I’m in the market, but just read a comment that it causes the phone to run warm, which is concerning.  

• Like 2

Hoping I'm not temping the fates... I had one UTI when I was 41 weeks pregnant with my first child. A long time ago.

In regard to penicillin allergies - my brother came down with 'spots' in the late 60s. Since he already had the typical 'spot' related illnesses and none of us siblings got sick he was eventually diagnosed with a penicillin allergy. Even though I was a young kid I remember his illness/allergy being a very big deal. So big my siblings and I were sent to stay with our grandparents for a week, toward the end of it all before they "figured" it out.

Long story to say, my brother found out in his late 20s he was not allergic to penicillin. Whatever his month long illness with 'spots' was remains a mystery.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I have a question about the penicillin allergies. When I was tested for allergies a few years ago, I was allergic to penicillin mold. I have really bad environmental allergies, so that was what I was tested for. And boy was I allergic to a lot. Several molds and grasses plus dust and weed and tree pollen and more. 

I've never been diagnosed with a penicillin allergy specifically, but I've always noted since then on medical forms I'm allergic to the mold in penicillin but am unsure about an allergy to penicillin. Is that . . . something I can just skip writing? 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1

I am allergic to penicillin and I'm astonished at how many others who post here are as well! In my case it was diagnosed when I was 17 and I remember it well. I had been really sick and the doc prescribed penicillin and I felt worse after taking it. Then I broke out in spots all over. The doctor at the time said my reactions would be increasingly worse and could be fatal, so I've never had it again. I'm in my late 60s now and have responded well to other antibiotics when needed. My teen-aged granddaughter is allergic to penicillin as well. Not sure if that's hereditary. Anyway, I don't think I will pursue the allergy challenge test, but I'm finding all of this very interesting!

I thought I'd bring over a topic from Bringing Up Bates. I don't like to put personal stories on the regular threads, but I can empathize with how the Bates have all descended on Katie after the doc said any day for her delivery and it's not happening. My first grandchild was born 11 days after her due date. I was still working and scheduled PTO to go help a couple of days after her due date, thinking we'd surely be there for the big event! Instead I had to go back to work with no pictures or birth stories to share. I was going outof my mind with worry because 2 of my sisters were well past their due dates when they delivered stillborn babies (different reasons). I get nervous when anyone is past their due date, but in the case of my granddaughter, all was well. So thankful for that. And my daughter was never past due again with her subsequent deliveries. Anyway, we went back when she was a few days old. It all worked out! I don't think Katie is overdue, but she may have overreacted. Sometimes I think a first time mother's nervousness about delivery causes a delay.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I found out I was allergic to penicillin when I was in my 30s by breaking out in a spotty rash after 3 days on it. I was okay with amoxicillan until about 5 years, when I broke out in the same spotty rash. Thankfully, there are a lot of other meds out, now.

• Like 5

I've had probably 4 or 5 UTI's in the last 20 years, not close together. The last time I felt I had one was in August. Like @crazycatlady58, I took an at home test(AVO). It was positive for Leukocytes. My husband's company is set up with a program where you can call 24 hours to speak to a doctor and they will prescribe medications for your ailment. Obviously nothing addicting or if it's something serious, they will tell you to go to the hospital.
So he prescribed me something for 7 days and after about 3, I still wasn't feeling right and the medication didn't agree with me.

I went to Urgent Care and had a test done and was prescribed Nitrofurantoin to take twice a day for 5 days. Two days later, they called and said I had no infection and I could stop taking the medication. I took it till it was gone, just to make me feel better about things. I had horrible stomach pain from it, or at least I thought it was from that.

We were going back home for a visit( I get massive anxiety when we make this trip, due to certain family members). As soon as we got to my parents, the stomach pain went away. My husband had said all along, that this was probably the case. I didn't really have any the pain or irritation that comes with an UTI, just the more frequent urination. He thought that was due to my anxiety as well. I've been fine ever since, even with two more trips home..lol

• Like 5
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was planning to do this years ago, but dropped the ball.  I need to do it, because it makes penicillin a treatment option, that you may need one day.  I’m putting it on my to do list.  

Does anyone have any experience with carrying their phone in a phone/wallet?  They have a place for a few cards and your phone.  I’m in the market, but just read a comment that it causes the phone to run warm, which is concerning.  

Mr. Six has a case called the BookBook.  It looks like a mini encyclopedia, especially as it "wears".  It has space for 3 cards with one of them being his key card to get into his office building, which is thicker than a standard card.  I asked if he recommended it, and he said yes with the caveat of using a front screen protector on his phone.  He is able to charge the phone on a flat charger and the one in my car.  It looks like they are compatible with the 12 mini and up.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I ask a doctor to see if we could find out is I was allergic to Penicillin  and he was not aware of a way to do this. He was not an allergist he was a family doctor.   My mother was told I was allergic when I was  young child in the 60s. Next time a see a Dr ( not this one) I will ask.

It takes a few hours but I think it was worth it. They do a scratch test, then they increase the amount of medication they are using slowly and if you do okay on a series of those challenges, they give you an oral dose and you sit around some more to make sure you don't react. Bring a book.

10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Look at me, I'm an influencer! 😉

• Wink 5

Thanks for the info on the bookcase.  I think I will pursue getting one.  

My parents said I had a rash due to penicillin as a baby.  So, I’ve always reported it.  I’ve taken alternatives ever since.  Then, a few years ago I got a freak tooth abscess. It was odd as I had a good cleaning and checkup a couple of months prior and have never had any dental problem and no cavity since teens.   (I was taking Invokana as a Type I diabetic at the time and I blame that, but I shan’t digress.)  In prep for my root canal, I took a long course of Clyndamycin.  I developed a severe rash on my stomach, chest and neck.  It scared me.  So, I now have to report that as an allergy.  Fast forward a little later and I got a freak infection in a finger.  It was antibiotic resistant and I was on several kinds of antibiotics….several surgeries, ER, Urgent Care, Hand specialist, then infectious disease specialist….finally it cleared up. ( I still blame Invokana and went off it, with my Endo’s consent. It’s a drug that has gotten a lot of blame for causing inexplicable infections.)   The infectious disease doctor encouraged me to challenge the penicillin allergy, because they wanted to use it, but couldn’t.  And, I know several people over the last few years who got severe infections and had multiple antibiotics to help them.  So….I think I’ll do it.  

Also, one of my best friends was attacked by a friend’s cat last month.  I won’t go into how, but it was severe. One hand was scratched so bad it looked like Freddy Kruger and the other hand was bitten really bad.  She got a SEVERE infection within a couple of hours!  She went to Duke ER and was admitted for 3 days!  She underwent several procedures (debridements) and was on IV antibiotics.  It was scary.  She has no medication allergies, so that was a relief.  All of this has inspired me to know my true status on antibiotics.

Please be careful handling a cat.  She says it was her fault. Idk. Though I love them, I now view cats quite differently.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Hoping I'm not temping the fates... I had one UTI when I was 41 weeks pregnant with my first child. A long time ago.

In regard to penicillin allergies - my brother came down with 'spots' in the late 60s. Since he already had the typical 'spot' related illnesses and none of us siblings got sick he was eventually diagnosed with a penicillin allergy. Even though I was a young kid I remember his illness/allergy being a very big deal. So big my siblings and I were sent to stay with our grandparents for a week, toward the end of it all before they "figured" it out.

Long story to say, my brother found out in his late 20s he was not allergic to penicillin. Whatever his month long illness with 'spots' was remains a mystery.

When I was about 19 I found myself with red spots on my torso and upper abdomen.  It was diagnosed as Pityriasis rosea.   It was more of an itchy nuisance than anything else. It never occurred again.   https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/whats-pityriasis-rosea

• Useful 2
12 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes, there is a way to find out.  Simple testing done by an allergist and I recommend it to anyone who was told they were allergic to penicillin as a child.  A lot of childhood penicillin allergies are not allergies at all.  This is especially true if you were sick as a baby, placed on penicillin and developed a rash.  Babies get rashes when they are sick all the time, it is part of the illness.  And it has historically been mistaken for a penicillin allergy when we now know that it isn't.

I work for a huge hospital system in the midwest (rhymes with believe land cynic).  We have a policy that any woman who is pregnant and reports a penicillin allergy is to be referred to an allergist for testing if she hasn't done so yet.  The reason for this is that there are so many infections for which the very best treatment is penicillin and its derivatives.  If we cannot use penicillin, we are not able to prescribe the best treatment for bacterial infections in many cases.

I'd advise anyone who has been told they are penicillin allergic but don't know what their reaction was and especially if they were too young to remember; to go and get tested by an allergist.  It could save your life some day.

• Like 3
  • Useful 10
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Please be careful handling a cat.  She says it was her fault. Idk. Though I love them, I now view cats quite differently.  

Cat scratch fever is real and nasty.  Thoroughly wash any cat bite or scratch immediately and apply proper treatment.  

A lot of people don't know how to read cat behavior.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

.I recall arriving in London early morning, unable to check into the hotel until late afternoon so I decided to visit The Tower as they were open earlier than almost anywhere else on a Sunday.  I was twice their age, running on almost no sleep, and managed to keep busy until afternoon. . . . 

I confess I'm a London Underground (and tube map) geek, although over several visits I've started to use buses more often.  The first time I move towards the platform, hear the sound of trains, and feel a thrill that "I'm back."

I caught a NOVA episode a couple days ago about London's new "super tunnel," and Elizabeth Line, and I loved it.  It's online,   https://www.pbs.org/video/london-super-tunnel-xlvcul/

Bringing this over from the Lonely J's discussion.

Omigosh, you rock! I'm also sort of a London Underground geek who has finally begun to also use the buses in London. [I not only have an Oyster card, I kept a printout of how much money remains it after my last trip. Heh.]

My next UK trip is coming up in just over 3 months. My last visit was in November 2018, and I'm looking forward to being there again. (I plan to take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to my hotel because it's the most direct way, so will have to experience the new Elizabeth Line later.) I confess that I've been on Tfl.gov.uk using the trip planner already, as I'm playing around with ideas for some of my London adventures - three months from now, LOL. 

I watched part of that NOVA episode, and need to finish it up. The engineering and construction involved in that project was amazing. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Bringing this over from the Lonely J's discussion.

Omigosh, you rock! I'm also sort of a London Underground geek who has finally begun to also use the buses in London. [I not only have an Oyster card, I kept a printout of how much money remains it after my last trip. Heh.]

My next UK trip is coming up in just over 3 months. My last visit was in November 2018, and I'm looking forward to being there again. (I plan to take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to my hotel because it's the most direct way, so will have to experience the new Elizabeth Line later.) I confess that I've been on Tfl.gov.uk using the trip planner already, as I'm playing around with ideas for some of my London adventures - three months from now, LOL. 

I watched part of that NOVA episode, and need to finish it up. The engineering and construction involved in that project was amazing. 

Also a fan of London and the tube.  Was just there last June for a few days, but, as always, took the tube to and from Heathrow.  We were staying in an AirBnB about 10 steps from the Kensington High Street station, so convenient.  

One of my most favorite cities ever and I love that, no matter how many times I visit, I always see something new.  I'm a history geek.  Whenever I visit London, I inevitably head to one of the many historic castles and such.  I have a friend who lives in London and, when I tell her where I'm going she says, 'I suppose this is part of your obsession with the Tudors, isn't it?'  She was born and raised there and doesn't feel the need to revisit these places saying stuff like, 'I was there on grade school trip 50 years ago, it's a thousand years old, it cannot have changed that much since then'.  An almost direct quote from her when I asked if she wanted to go to the Tower of London with me.  

When I was around 12, there was a pen pal club we could join through the school.  For you youngsters, the club involved sending in something like 50 cents and you'd get the name and address of a kid around your age in another country (or maybe just another state) and you could write letters back and forth.  I didn't actually spend the 50 cents.  A friend of my sister's was writing to someone in London who had a friend looking for someone who wanted to write.  That was over 50 years ago and we are still at it, although, sadly, we're more likely to text or message each other than write a real letter these days.  Was wonderful to see her and her sister and catch up after COVID and hope we can get together, probably on this side of the pond, before the end of the year.

• Like 4
  • Love 8

My parents were told I was allergic to penicillin in the early 70s after I had a horrible reaction to it. Years later, my drs tried ampicillin (sp?) and amoxicillin and I had reactions to both, so they said better not to take those as well.

• Like 5