Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet


Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Shakira went on a boat ride (date) but not with TC. Why am I invested in that story line lol.

I think she is very talented.  She was a bright light when she appeared on The Voice as a coach.  I hope she can find happiness.  I hope there’s no TC attraction. Omg…..😩

I got my top left wisdom tooth out yesterday.  It’s going really well, so far. I hope it continues.  The gifts I ordered my mom for Mother’s Day aren’t going to arrive, so I’ll have to go out shopping tomorrow.  I wanted to avoid that.  

  • Like 4
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think she is very talented.  She was a bright light when she appeared on The Voice as a coach.  I hope she can find happiness.  I hope there’s no TC attraction. Omg…..😩

I got my top left wisdom tooth out yesterday.  It’s going really well, so far. I hope it continues.  The gifts I ordered my mom for Mother’s Day aren’t going to arrive, so I’ll have to go out shopping tomorrow.  I wanted to avoid that.  

Wishing you a fast recovery on the wisdom tooth removal. 
Also a shame after ordering gifts, they won’t be there on time. Hence having to go shopping. Hope you find what you want quickly and easily. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wishing you a fast recovery on the wisdom tooth removal. 
Also a shame after ordering gifts, they won’t be there on time. Hence having to go shopping. Hope you find what you want quickly and easily. 

Thanks.  I’ll look to reading about your adventures when you have time.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 5/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, Zella said:

He always weirded me out a bit, but the stuff about him in the book Going Clear is seared into my brain now. Particularly his obsession with bee pollen. 

It still blows my mind all the things that came out in that book. Why would anyone put themselves through that crap.

  • Like 7
Link to comment

A bit about my trip. It began in Milan, Italy. From there we went to visit his cousins in Verona for a night. Stayed in an awesome hotel off the Piazza Erbe. Then we were off to Florence for 5 nights where getting there was scary. One lane road with high rock walls on both sides. Better suited for a donkey cart. We ate well, enjoyed some sites (very crowded with tourists and the wait times in lines were over 3 hours long). We also took day trips from there. We saw his cousins daughter who took us to a Michelin Star restaurant in about 30 miles east of Sienna. It was such pretty drive. Then we went to Trieste, Italy. It’s a scenic port on the Adriatic and it too had many good places to eat. After 2 nights we were off to Pula, Croatia. I was very impressed with that country. So clean. Many of the people spoke good English, were helpful and we stayed in a pretty resort and had another meal worthy of a Michelin. Next we went up to Salzburg Austria to meet up with friends who drove over from Bern Switzerland. Those were fun days filled with touring, meals and much laughter. It was very interesting how they view everything going on in America and our politics. I’m surprised that most Europeans are very invested in what we are doing. Especially in regards to the war in Ukraine. Then we drove to Konstanz Germany. That was a bit of a headache. They closed the main highway and the detour signs were far and few in between. We got lost and spent a hour trying to navigate. The car’s only help was trying to put us back on the closed highway so we ended up on the north side of Lake Bodensee. (Our hotel was on the south side) Luckily we found a ferry and took it. 20 minutes to cross the lake. In a way that was fortunate because we saw it it so much better than we would have by land only. We stayed in a converted convent. It was nice enough, but nothing like we expected (dirty). Then we were off to Zurich Switzerland before heading back to Milan. The Gottenburg Pass was closed due to ice and snow so we took the tunnel. It was 12 miles long. Not for the claustrophobic. Back in Milan we rested for 3 days and had a big lunch with friends. Did some shopping at the Essalunga (big grocery store chain to buy ingredients to bring home) and found a place with the best pizza ever. They make it with a thinner crust than here, and the cheese on top is so flavorful. Then we began the plane trips home. It has taken me 2 days to get back on our time. The kitties did ok, but my boy lost weight (5lbs) as he went on a hunger strike because he missed me. I’m happy to report he is eating well again and they are both on me like Velcro. All in all it was a very busy trip with very little down time, but worth all the effort and food. 

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

A bit about my trip. It began in Milan, Italy. From there we went to visit his cousins in Verona for a night. Stayed in an awesome hotel off the Piazza Erbe. Then we were off to Florence for 5 nights where getting there was scary. One lane road with high rock walls on both sides. Better suited for a donkey cart. We ate well, enjoyed some sites (very crowded with tourists and the wait times in lines were over 3 hours long). We also took day trips from there. We saw his cousins daughter who took us to a Michelin Star restaurant in about 30 miles east of Sienna. It was such pretty drive. Then we went to Trieste, Italy. It’s a scenic port on the Adriatic and it too had many good places to eat. After 2 nights we were off to Pula, Croatia. I was very impressed with that country. So clean. Many of the people spoke good English, were helpful and we stayed in a pretty resort and had another meal worthy of a Michelin. Next we went up to Salzburg Austria to meet up with friends who drove over from Bern Switzerland. Those were fun days filled with touring, meals and much laughter. It was very interesting how they view everything going on in America and our politics. I’m surprised that most Europeans are very invested in what we are doing. Especially in regards to the war in Ukraine. Then we drove to Konstanz Germany. That was a bit of a headache. They closed the main highway and the detour signs were far and few in between. We got lost and spent a hour trying to navigate. The car’s only help was trying to put us back on the closed highway so we ended up on the north side of Lake Bodensee. (Our hotel was on the south side) Luckily we found a ferry and took it. 20 minutes to cross the lake. In a way that was fortunate because we saw it it so much better than we would have by land only. We stayed in a converted convent. It was nice enough, but nothing like we expected (dirty). Then we were off to Zurich Switzerland before heading back to Milan. The Gottenburg Pass was closed due to ice and snow so we took the tunnel. It was 12 miles long. Not for the claustrophobic. Back in Milan we rested for 3 days and had a big lunch with friends. Did some shopping at the Essalunga (big grocery store chain to buy ingredients to bring home) and found a place with the best pizza ever. They make it with a thinner crust than here, and the cheese on top is so flavorful. Then we began the plane trips home. It has taken me 2 days to get back on our time. The kitties did ok, but my boy lost weight (5lbs) as he went on a hunger strike because he missed me. I’m happy to report he is eating well again and they are both on me like Velcro. All in all it was a very busy trip with very little down time, but worth all the effort and food. 

Oh my, what a wonderful trip!  I could imagine the places you describe.  It sounds busy, but relaxing, except for scary road and tunnel. What types of dishes did you have?  
 

I hope I’ll return to Europe one day. I have a friend who wants to retire to Italy.  She has relatives there, but she was born and raised in the US. Do you visit the cousins often?  I bet your kitties are so relieved you’re back.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh my, what a wonderful trip!  I could imagine the places you describe.  It sounds busy, but relaxing, except for scary road and tunnel. What types of dishes did you have?  
 

I hope I’ll return to Europe one day. I have a friend who wants to retire to Italy.  She has relatives there, but she was born and raised in the US. Do you visit the cousins often?  I bet your kitties are so relieved you’re back.  

  Obviously I had pasta and pizza. Their food tastes so different because they don’t allow GMO’s. Even out of season tomatoes taste better than ours in season. There was lots of fish as I was in a lot of areas by the sea (I’m allergic so had to find other options, but everyone else raved), salads and meats we don’t eat much of here [wild boar, pheasant, veal (not meant to offend anyone, but it’s widely used and served in Austria and Germany) and weird things like pigeon (didn’t taste that)]. 
   I hope you get back there too. Be prepared as a lot has changed. Even in the 3-4 years since I was last there. Some areas are no longer enjoyable due to crowds. I suppose a lot of that is post pandemic travel, but tourist season hasn’t even really begun. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
Link to comment
(edited)

Happy Mother's Day (for tomorrow) to the moms in our group. We have my mom staying with us for a month while her help is away, and the both of us just got gorgeous Mother's Day flower arrangements from my son. Daughter & her family coming over for dinner. She said she would make me some tiramisu! Yum!  I feel bad that Mr Jyn doesn't like that, though. Guess he'll have to wait for Father's Day to get his own special dessert 😁

My granddaughter has been impressing us lately just keeping up with the way her mind works. She just turned five, and will be starting kindergarten in the Fall. Can't believe how quickly time has gone. The other day, she wrote a poem all by herself (spelled all the words without any help):

"I had a gummy/         It was yummy/ I wanted more, / so I had four!".

and to top off that feat, she pondered a pair of dice which had fallen showing a six and a four, and stated,

"Six and four make ten, because if you move one of the dots from the six to the four, you get two fives."

I think she's going to have a better grasp of math than I do by the time she gets to first grade!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • Love 10
Link to comment
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Your granddaughter sounds incredible.  That’s really amazing.  Enjoy the tiramisu!  
 

 

Thanks! Yeah, I think she has "sayings of Spurgeon" beat! Lol

Then again, I am a little biased 🥰

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Like 3
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
Link to comment

That's the beauty of being in my case "Grandma" (knowing there are lots of names our grandchildren use). We just took almost 20 year old granddaughter to the airport. She came here after first year of college ended before she went home. We think she is the "best girl ever" - and of course we are biased a bit too. But just pure pleasure to see her maturing but still little girl enough to say her favorite part of the visit was lying on me with me stroking her hair. My favorite part too. 

  • Like 8
  • Love 12
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

That's the beauty of being in my case "Grandma" (knowing there are lots of names our grandchildren use). We just took almost 20 year old granddaughter to the airport. She came here after first year of college ended before she went home. We think she is the "best girl ever" - and of course we are biased a bit too. But just pure pleasure to see her maturing but still little girl enough to say her favorite part of the visit was lying on me with me stroking her hair. My favorite part too. 

That's so sweet! I'm not sure any of my kids would be in the market for that kind of cuddles anymore, but luckily I probably have quite a few years left before the grands outgrow them!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That's so sweet! I'm not sure any of my kids would be in the market for that kind of cuddles anymore, but luckily I probably have quite a few years left before the grands outgrow them!

Her older brother was all over me until he became a teenager.  Now he is finishing up first year of law school and he had an "alone" visit before school started. He sat close and let his knee lean on me. I just sat and let it happen.  I asked did he remember all those years. Said "of course" - and y'all know I still want to cuddle him but he's not there yet or anymore. The youngest is 15 and he is still affectionate. Will see if and when it ends with him. It's fun watching them go from tiny folks to adults. Daughter in law and I keep saying we want a "rewind"!

  • Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 7
Link to comment

I swear grandkids grow up faster than my own kids did!

I'm a bit annoyed because our letter carrier did not pick up our bag of food donations. They picked up the neighbor's donation across the street. It's really not that big of a deal since there are two other sites we can easily donate food to in town. The annoyance comes from remembering when we lived in MI. The garbage man skipped our garbage EVERY WEEK. I'd put it out the night before and it would still be full when I got home from work. I'd call and they'd always accuse me of putting it out too late. But that wasn't the case. My next door neighbor kept his boat out in the parkway all summer. It apparently blocked the view of our garbage from our lazy garbageman who refused to drive down the street! Every week! They had a crazy rule in our town that you could choose from a variety of garbage companies. So everyone on the street had the same garbage day, but not necessarily the same garbage company. I finally had to switch to another company that was willing to do their job! I must have called with the same complaint 8 weeks in a row and they just didn't follow through. It still makes me mad! Why yes, I can hold a grudge! I learned at my mother's knee! 🤣

  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I swear grandkids grow up faster than my own kids did!

I'm a bit annoyed because our letter carrier did not pick up our bag of food donations. They picked up the neighbor's donation across the street. It's really not that big of a deal since there are two other sites we can easily donate food to in town. The annoyance comes from remembering when we lived in MI. The garbage man skipped our garbage EVERY WEEK. I'd put it out the night before and it would still be full when I got home from work. I'd call and they'd always accuse me of putting it out too late. But that wasn't the case. My next door neighbor kept his boat out in the parkway all summer. It apparently blocked the view of our garbage from our lazy garbageman who refused to drive down the street! Every week! They had a crazy rule in our town that you could choose from a variety of garbage companies. So everyone on the street had the same garbage day, but not necessarily the same garbage company. I finally had to switch to another company that was willing to do their job! I must have called with the same complaint 8 weeks in a row and they just didn't follow through. It still makes me mad! Why yes, I can hold a grudge! I learned at my mother's knee! 🤣

Oh, shoot! I meant to put some stuff out for the food pickup as well, and forgot all about it!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I thought about it, but they gave me the notice only the day before and I had no time to shop.  The first year of putting out a bag everyone on this street put out a bag.  I looked this morning and no one put out a bag and I didn't get any mail today so I doubt the mail person would have stopped anyway.  

  • Useful 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

I thought about it, but they gave me the notice only the day before and I had no time to shop.  The first year of putting out a bag everyone on this street put out a bag.  I looked this morning and no one put out a bag and I didn't get any mail today so I doubt the mail person would have stopped anyway.  

We only had one day's notice too. I think they should deliver the card and the bag like the Monday before, so people have time to shop. But it is what it is! 

Link to comment

Our mail carrier left a notice and a box for donations in our condo building lobby early in the week. But the notice didn't have the date of collection on it. Someone finally added that it was yesterday. But I was distracted yesterday, and forgot to take anything down there. We recently had a charity food drive here, for which I cleared out the good donate-able stuff from my cabinets anyway. 

@SunnyBeBe, I hope you're recovering well from the wisdom tooth extraction. 

@Mindthinkr - what a wonderful trip you had. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Happy Mother's Day to all who are moms. @Jynnan tonnix, your granddaughter sounds like a pistol. Love her rhyming skilz!

I leave in a few more days for my trip to the UK. I started sorting out the things to pack Friday evening and devoted yesterday to Test Pack Effort No. 1. Mixed results. 

This trip will last 3 weeks, and will be different from most of my trips - foreign or domestic - over the past 7 years. This time, instead of getting off the plane and settling into one hotel for the entire time, I'll be traveling around. Moving among four cities, by train and in one case possibly by coach [bus]. I want the experience of moving myself and my luggage down streets and on/off trains, to be as pleasant as possible. Or at least minimize the unpleasantness, LOL. 

What's new this time, is that I've finally discovered the advantages of spinner (4 wheeled) suitcases. When they first came on the market years ago, I was already well equipped with some quality two-wheeled bags, and didn't pay much attention to the spinners. I distrusted the durability of the wheels, especially under the rigors that checked bags endure. All these years later, it's obvious they've figured out the wheel thing. I've envied people rolling spinner bags sideways down an aircraft aisle vs. me awkwardly picking up my two-wheeled bag and lugging it sideways down the aisle in the usual boarding/deplaning crush.

I recently got a spinner carry-on. Once I had hands on it, I realized that if my checked bag is a spinner, I'll have a better time moving it along the streets and train stations on my trip. Less stress on my arms and shoulders from tugging a two-wheeled bag along vs. steering a spinner, which can still be leaned over and used with two wheels when necessary to navigate an elevator entrance, etc. The great last-minute suitcase hunt isn't quite over. Yesterday I bought a well-made (and not cheap!) spinner checked bag which I can return. I have confidence in its durability and its awesome warranty (I've had a terrific experience with this brand over nearly 20 years). But it's a bit heavier than I wish it were, and it's on the small side as checked bags go, in terms of capacity. A less costly bag (but, still, a Travelpro, another good brand) is on its way and should be in my hands late today. It's lighter and has more room inside, but I think less bulletproof than the other bag as to being checked. I think that I'll be okay with either bag, just need to get hands on the other one to make my decision. 

So that's more yak yak than you needed. I don't want to be hating the luggage I'll be hauling around and living out of for three weeks. I expect that Test Pack Effort No. 2 will take care of biz. By then I'll have also refined my clothing choices. Even at my sveltest years ago, I did. not. like. those travel knits that everyone raves about. They looked -and felt - clingy and awful on me. Or those nylon trousers that are billed as "travel pants." They feel awful on my skin and make noise when I walk in them. I don't care that those things take up no space in a bag and you can wash 'em in the hotel sink every night. I'm taking, as usual, a reasonable selection of my regular clothing, and will do laundry at intervals along the way. DIY launderettes are a nice little break from sightseeing. Launderettes with drop-off service are the bomb. 🙂

Thanks for reading if you got this far. 

Oh, my good news for Sunday is, that a couple of days ago I met up with a college classmate and her husband for lunch. They live out of state, and were traveling through this area on a road trip. She and I weren't the tightest of buddies during college, but part of a small loose group of friends, and IIRC I served punch at her wedding reception shortly after our graduation. We'd reconnected via FB and emails a few years ago. We literally had not seen each other for DECADES. And it was completely delightful to visit with them. Total feel-good occasion. So happy she reached out when making their trip plans, and set that meetup in motion. 

  • Like 10
  • Love 6
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

a couple has 12 kids with the letter C! 

I follow her on Instagram, and the family is talked about occasionally on FreeJinger... At the very least she does a better job of preparing her kids for life than the Duggars (they are always reading a ton of books, she cooks and bakes with them, the older boys are in organized sports, they raise animals, garden, etc.). The headline is misleading, though-- she had all 12 kids in under 12 years. Only one set of twins, and a lot of Irish twins. 

  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
Link to comment

@oliviabenson - LOVED that! I came across a book a few years ago titled something like "Eat This, Not That." My response: you go first, dude. I'll be over here enjoying something delicious and satisfying while you munch those twigs and leaves.  🤣

  • Like 4
  • LOL 8
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Our mail carrier left a notice and a box for donations in our condo building lobby early in the week. But the notice didn't have the date of collection on it. Someone finally added that it was yesterday. But I was distracted yesterday, and forgot to take anything down there. We recently had a charity food drive here, for which I cleared out the good donate-able stuff from my cabinets anyway. 

@SunnyBeBe, I hope you're recovering well from the wisdom tooth extraction. 

@Mindthinkr - what a wonderful trip you had. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Happy Mother's Day to all who are moms. @Jynnan tonnix, your granddaughter sounds like a pistol. Love her rhyming skilz!

I leave in a few more days for my trip to the UK. I started sorting out the things to pack Friday evening and devoted yesterday to Test Pack Effort No. 1. Mixed results. 

This trip will last 3 weeks, and will be different from most of my trips - foreign or domestic - over the past 7 years. This time, instead of getting off the plane and settling into one hotel for the entire time, I'll be traveling around. Moving among four cities, by train and in one case possibly by coach [bus]. I want the experience of moving myself and my luggage down streets and on/off trains, to be as pleasant as possible. Or at least minimize the unpleasantness, LOL. 

What's new this time, is that I've finally discovered the advantages of spinner (4 wheeled) suitcases. When they first came on the market years ago, I was already well equipped with some quality two-wheeled bags, and didn't pay much attention to the spinners. I distrusted the durability of the wheels, especially under the rigors that checked bags endure. All these years later, it's obvious they've figured out the wheel thing. I've envied people rolling spinner bags sideways down an aircraft aisle vs. me awkwardly picking up my two-wheeled bag and lugging it sideways down the aisle in the usual boarding/deplaning crush.

I recently got a spinner carry-on. Once I had hands on it, I realized that if my checked bag is a spinner, I'll have a better time moving it along the streets and train stations on my trip. Less stress on my arms and shoulders from tugging a two-wheeled bag along vs. steering a spinner, which can still be leaned over and used with two wheels when necessary to navigate an elevator entrance, etc. The great last-minute suitcase hunt isn't quite over. Yesterday I bought a well-made (and not cheap!) spinner checked bag which I can return. I have confidence in its durability and its awesome warranty (I've had a terrific experience with this brand over nearly 20 years). But it's a bit heavier than I wish it were, and it's on the small side as checked bags go, in terms of capacity. A less costly bag (but, still, a Travelpro, another good brand) is on its way and should be in my hands late today. It's lighter and has more room inside, but I think less bulletproof than the other bag as to being checked. I think that I'll be okay with either bag, just need to get hands on the other one to make my decision. 

So that's more yak yak than you needed. I don't want to be hating the luggage I'll be hauling around and living out of for three weeks. I expect that Test Pack Effort No. 2 will take care of biz. By then I'll have also refined my clothing choices. Even at my sveltest years ago, I did. not. like. those travel knits that everyone raves about. They looked -and felt - clingy and awful on me. Or those nylon trousers that are billed as "travel pants." They feel awful on my skin and make noise when I walk in them. I don't care that those things take up no space in a bag and you can wash 'em in the hotel sink every night. I'm taking, as usual, a reasonable selection of my regular clothing, and will do laundry at intervals along the way. DIY launderettes are a nice little break from sightseeing. Launderettes with drop-off service are the bomb. 🙂

Thanks for reading if you got this far. 

Oh, my good news for Sunday is, that a couple of days ago I met up with a college classmate and her husband for lunch. They live out of state, and were traveling through this area on a road trip. She and I weren't the tightest of buddies during college, but part of a small loose group of friends, and IIRC I served punch at her wedding reception shortly after our graduation. We'd reconnected via FB and emails a few years ago. We literally had not seen each other for DECADES. And it was completely delightful to visit with them. Total feel-good occasion. So happy she reached out when making their trip plans, and set that meetup in motion. 

I love Travelpro and have had many, many miles of good travel with mine.  I also have some very light weight IT luggage which, even though it is very, very light, it has held up extremely well.  Have a good trip!

  • Like 6
Link to comment

Jeeves, it sounds like you are ready for a wonderful trip. Enjoy!  
 

It’s so nice to catch up with old friends.  I’ve been texting a few today.

Happy Mother’s Day to you all!  🌹🪅😇💐🏆

Ref. The food choices, I’ve tried to make some good ones, but have mainly been restricted in diet due to my dental procedures recently.  Regardless, as of yesterday, I’m down 20 pounds. I’m working on my bikini body! 😝

  • Like 13
Link to comment
(edited)
7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Our mail carrier left a notice and a box for donations in our condo building lobby early in the week. But the notice didn't have the date of collection on it. Someone finally added that it was yesterday. But I was distracted yesterday, and forgot to take anything down there. We recently had a charity food drive here, for which I cleared out the good donate-able stuff from my cabinets anyway. 

@SunnyBeBe, I hope you're recovering well from the wisdom tooth extraction. 

@Mindthinkr - what a wonderful trip you had. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Happy Mother's Day to all who are moms. @Jynnan tonnix, your granddaughter sounds like a pistol. Love her rhyming skilz!

I leave in a few more days for my trip to the UK. I started sorting out the things to pack Friday evening and devoted yesterday to Test Pack Effort No. 1. Mixed results. 

This trip will last 3 weeks, and will be different from most of my trips - foreign or domestic - over the past 7 years. This time, instead of getting off the plane and settling into one hotel for the entire time, I'll be traveling around. Moving among four cities, by train and in one case possibly by coach [bus]. I want the experience of moving myself and my luggage down streets and on/off trains, to be as pleasant as possible. Or at least minimize the unpleasantness, LOL. 

What's new this time, is that I've finally discovered the advantages of spinner (4 wheeled) suitcases. When they first came on the market years ago, I was already well equipped with some quality two-wheeled bags, and didn't pay much attention to the spinners. I distrusted the durability of the wheels, especially under the rigors that checked bags endure. All these years later, it's obvious they've figured out the wheel thing. I've envied people rolling spinner bags sideways down an aircraft aisle vs. me awkwardly picking up my two-wheeled bag and lugging it sideways down the aisle in the usual boarding/deplaning crush.

I recently got a spinner carry-on. Once I had hands on it, I realized that if my checked bag is a spinner, I'll have a better time moving it along the streets and train stations on my trip. Less stress on my arms and shoulders from tugging a two-wheeled bag along vs. steering a spinner, which can still be leaned over and used with two wheels when necessary to navigate an elevator entrance, etc. The great last-minute suitcase hunt isn't quite over. Yesterday I bought a well-made (and not cheap!) spinner checked bag which I can return. I have confidence in its durability and its awesome warranty (I've had a terrific experience with this brand over nearly 20 years). But it's a bit heavier than I wish it were, and it's on the small side as checked bags go, in terms of capacity. A less costly bag (but, still, a Travelpro, another good brand) is on its way and should be in my hands late today. It's lighter and has more room inside, but I think less bulletproof than the other bag as to being checked. I think that I'll be okay with either bag, just need to get hands on the other one to make my decision. 

So that's more yak yak than you needed. I don't want to be hating the luggage I'll be hauling around and living out of for three weeks. I expect that Test Pack Effort No. 2 will take care of biz. By then I'll have also refined my clothing choices. Even at my sveltest years ago, I did. not. like. those travel knits that everyone raves about. They looked -and felt - clingy and awful on me. Or those nylon trousers that are billed as "travel pants." They feel awful on my skin and make noise when I walk in them. I don't care that those things take up no space in a bag and you can wash 'em in the hotel sink every night. I'm taking, as usual, a reasonable selection of my regular clothing, and will do laundry at intervals along the way. DIY launderettes are a nice little break from sightseeing. Launderettes with drop-off service are the bomb. 🙂

Thanks for reading if you got this far. 

Oh, my good news for Sunday is, that a couple of days ago I met up with a college classmate and her husband for lunch. They live out of state, and were traveling through this area on a road trip. She and I weren't the tightest of buddies during college, but part of a small loose group of friends, and IIRC I served punch at her wedding reception shortly after our graduation. We'd reconnected via FB and emails a few years ago. We literally had not seen each other for DECADES. And it was completely delightful to visit with them. Total feel-good occasion. So happy she reached out when making their trip plans, and set that meetup in motion. 

The  4 wheelies have made me a believer, too.  So easy to maneuver, even with one hand.  I took a carry-on and large bag through London and much of Germany last summer and navigating, even over cobbled streets and in and out of tube stations, etc could not have been simpler.

I'm with you, I find most synthetic travel knits to be too warm and kinda scratchy.  I'd rather take fewer clothes and wash them out or hit the laundromat, which are pretty common in much of Europe as many people don't have washer/dryers at home.

 As my aunt used to remind us on vacation, 'We will never see these people again'.  Which means, even if you are a bit bedraggled by the end, who cares? 

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 7
Link to comment

Welp. The Travelpro suitcase was delivered. It's a great size, and I like the features. I have a carry-on from the same collection, in a complementary color.

But - the new suitcase has - a smell. A chemical smell. Not overpowering, but definitely a smell. I took it downstairs to get a second sniff-pinion from a neighbor, and no I'm not imagining it. I've got the suitcase sitting out on the enclosed lanai with windows open, the suitcase opened, and a fan blowing air on high speed at it.

We'll see tomorrow if that's solved the problem and it's outgassed sufficiently to be used. The most recent Amazon reviews of this suitcase include a notable number of comments about a bad smell. Travelpro recently changed the interior fabric on this model, to something made from 100% recycled plastics. I wonder if that has something to do with the stinky situation. Sigh.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
(edited)
17 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

The husband has yin sanpaku eyes!

(I recently fell down the "sanpaku eyes" rabbit hole, and now I notice them everywhere!) 😂 

The theory (superstition?) is:

Yin sanpaku. Are likely to put themselves in dangerous situations that may end tragically. Marilyn Monroe, President Kennedy, and Princess Diana all had this type.

Yang sanpaku. Are likely violent, full of rage, or elicit psychopathic tendencies.  Charles Manson is the most infamous one. (I don't know why I felt compelled to share this) 🙄 The end 😂20230505_194312.thumb.png.fed5c451f4d8c873f824ddbc11801d17.png

 

20230515_014854.png

received_762475142162793.jpeg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 4
Link to comment

@ChiCricket - I'm glad I didn't start browsing this forum until I'd had my coffee this morning. That's fascinating. Disturbing. But fascinating.

Sadly, I'm returning the TravelPro suitcase. The odor isn't eye-wateringly strong, but it's real, and noticeable, and persistent. I don't want to pack my clothes in it and live with that smell for three weeks. It's a free return to Amazon. I only have to tote the box over to the UPS store and show them the return code on my phone. 

I wondered if the odor could be related to the lining fabric made from recycled plastics. But I also recently bought a TravelPro small spinner carry-on from the same collection. It has the same lining fabric - and no odor whatsoever. I suppose the odor in the larger bag is from adhesives or some other material in the bag. 

In the meantime, I've figured out my clothes for the trip, and they are packed successfully in the spinner suitcase I bought locally. It's not as capacious as the TravelPro, but it will do the job. It also cost more than the TravelPro, sigh, which in this case is the price of making a last-minute decision about luggage for my trip. 

  • Like 13
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, my Small Talk friends, I have made it through Mothers Day - another one without Sweet Son.  I do have another son and grandchildren, son in law, and of course Mr lookeyloo, but, there is still that gaping hole Sweet Son left in my heart.  It was a rough day with me being thankful and grateful for the wonderful family I have and other things of course, but, still hard to get through it.  Daughter in law sent me this article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/heidi-stevens/ct-life-stevens-friday-mothers-day-wish-0510-story.html

I am so sorry @lookeyloo. I know there are no words to ease you pain. Your feelings are understandable. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment

I'm sorry but interested to hear about your TravelPro travails, @Jeeves. Like other here, I have used mine for years with excellent results. And like you, I covet spinner bags but have not been able to justify replacing my ain't-broke luggage collection. Maybe whenever we make our next overseas trip, I'll use that as an excuse to invest.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

My kids got me a four wheeled bag a few years ago even though I had TWO perfectly good two wheelers.  I have to use it when visiting them though since they were so thoughtful.  This year they found a marvelous combo laptop plus two large sections bigger than the laptop section bag.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

@lookeyloo, I can't imagine how hard yesterday was for you. And as @Scarlett45 said, there aren't words to take away your pain. I'm glad you trust us enough to share your experience. And I'm glad you got through the day. You said it well; despite the rest of your family, there's a hole in your life now. 

On more mundane subjects, @Absolom and @jcbrown, I still have perfectly good, if old, two wheeled luggage. What tipped me over into getting spinner bags: my aging joints and the aging rest of me. I'll be traveling between cities with all my luggage four times on this trip - walking to and from hotels and train stations, getting on and off trains. And, that's in addition to the journey to my first night's hotel from the airport, and the trip to the airport when I fly home. Based on prior experience with the pull-along two wheelers on a similar trip, I expect the spinners will lessen the strain on my shoulders and arms. I hope so! I've packed the OTC pain relievers although I hope they aren't much needed.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I hate spinner suitcases, and realize that some day my 2 wheel cases will need to be replaced, by which time they will no longer be available.   I travel carry-on only, and a 2 wheel case holds much more than a 4 wheel case with the same footprint.  Spinner wheels are also much more vulnerable to breakage, what do you do when on vacation and wheel snaps off your suitcase? 

Link to comment
(edited)
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I hate spinner suitcases, and realize that some day my 2 wheel cases will need to be replaced, by which time they will no longer be available.   I travel carry-on only, and a 2 wheel case holds much more than a 4 wheel case with the same footprint.  Spinner wheels are also much more vulnerable to breakage, what do you do when on vacation and wheel snaps off your suitcase? 

A sincere tip of my hat to your ability to travel carry-on only. I usually can't manage it - but it's wonderful when I can forgo the checked bag business.

Based on my very recent shopping for a suitcase, I don't think two-wheelers are on the way out anytime soon. 

Yep, my fear of a wheel being smashed while my bag is in the tender (cough cough) hands of the checked bag system, is real. That's why I didn't go cheap on my new checked-bag spinner. I was sorely tempted by some bargain-priced bags at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, but compared to the Eagle Creek bag I bought, the wheel assemblies on the bargain bags were scary-flimsy. I might use one as a carry-on where I can control the treatment it gets. But just couldn't gamble on those flimsy wheels surviving the baggage handling system. 

ETA: if a wheel comes off a bag during the trip, I'll deal with it. Use it as a two-wheeler if possible, or buy a small folding luggage cart to move the case around with if it's too heavy to carry very far. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2
Link to comment

It takes some practice, but once you get down to carry-on only, you'll never go back.  I've done 2 week trips with carry-on only, with a quick trip to a laundromat if necessary (I've met interesting people from all over the world in laundromats in Paris, London, Rome, and it's really only an hour out of my trip, so well worth the minor inconvenience).  I use trains between European cities, and having a carry-on size suitcase makes it so much easier, and also makes one less vulnerable to the scum who prey on tourists by offering to "help" with their luggage.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
On 5/15/2023 at 2:59 AM, ChiCricket said:

The husband has yin sanpaku eyes!

(I recently fell down the "sanpaku eyes" rabbit hole, and now I notice them everywhere!) 😂 

The theory (superstition?) is:

Yin sanpaku. Are likely to put themselves in dangerous situations that may end tragically. Marilyn Monroe, President Kennedy, and Princess Diana all had this type.

Yang sanpaku. Are likely violent, full of rage, or elicit psychopathic tendencies.  Charles Manson is the most infamous one. (I don't know why I felt compelled to share this) 🙄 The end 😂20230505_194312.thumb.png.fed5c451f4d8c873f824ddbc11801d17.png

 

20230515_014854.png

received_762475142162793.jpeg

The person I always think of with these sorts of eyes is Nicolas Cage. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment

Big day today (kidding!) - I'm going to clean my closet and take inventory of summer clothes. I'm leaving Sunday to spend 4 weeks with my daughter and grandkids. I've got a list of must have things I don't want to forget. I know I need a few new summer tops. I can get them there if need be, but my closet is a mess and I want to organize it before I go. 

In other news, I received a beautiful wooden birdhouse for Mother's Day and birds have already moved in. It is so fun watching them bring sticks in. They are very busy! I'm not great on identifying birds. They are small, brown and kind of chubby looking. 

  • Like 13
Link to comment

@BetyBee - I know what you mean about cleaning and organizing your closet. I hope it goes well. Several of my friends have become bird-watchers, AFAIK it's a new activity for them. I'm still in happy ignorance of most things avian, although I think birds are nice to look at, and I can tell an eagle from a goose. 

Speaking of geese, some of them are hanging out on our condo complex grounds. They take their sweet time walking across the driveway when I'm driving in or out. And, they are very generous in their leavings - I darn near stepped in goose poop on the sidewalk a few minutes ago. I respect them and wouldn't hurt them, but as neighbors, I don't like them much. 

I have a few hours before it's time to leave for the airport on my trip. I've cleaned house, not the full spring cleaning of course. But enough that I'll come home to a tidy place. This morning I mopped the kitchen floor and then damp-mopped the wood floors. I was kinda shocked at the amount of dirt I removed in the hallway. I do clean regularly, and it didn't look that bad. But as I gazed in shock at the quantities of dirt on the microfiber cloths, I thought that if I were Jill Rodrigues, I would describe this as a SEVERELY overdue cleaning. 🤣 

  • Like 6
  • LOL 4
Link to comment

Geese can be so stubborn and territorial! Our last dog...well, she was attracted to the goose leavings. Walking her around the ponds was like a game of dodgeball, trying to avoid the stuff!

Have a wonderful trip, @Jeeves!

 

  • Like 6
  • LOL 2
Link to comment

@Jeeves I hope your trip is amazing, even better than you've expected.  You sound so very prepared.  I, too, look forward to your sharing when you can.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do many of you get thunderstorms almost every day?  We sure do get more than our share.  And, it’s not even summer yet.  

No, we don't seem to get that many in the upper Midwest.  I imagine it happens more often in the southern states in the summer, but as you noted, it's early for that.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

No, we don't seem to get that many in the upper Midwest.  I imagine it happens more often in the southern states in the summer, but as you noted, it's early for that.

We’ve ((NC) gotten storms all winter. I did research and Florida takes first place on storms.  CA has the least. 

  • Useful 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We’ve ((NC) gotten storms all winter. I did research and Florida takes first place on storms.  CA has the least. 

Yeah, we get a t-storm maybe once every 3 years. 😀

  • Mind Blown 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...