Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, it’s only 89 degrees here, but so hot inside!  AC is working overtime.  

Only 89 degrees?  That's definitely let that A/C work time.  How high is the humidity.  I'm on the cusp of needing to turn on the A/C.  At least this year I've made it to July.  Sleeping tonight or tomorrow will break me.

I'm needing to find humor where I can.  WOACB has been off screen for something like two months for an in-grown eye brow hair.  I kid you not.  She says she got it out today it's a whopping 3/4 inch long.  I had two in-grown eyelashes.  I lasted two days or less before calling the ophthalmologist and having them removed in a 5 minute or less procedure.  Who lets something like that go on for TWO months?

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
9 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Happy 4th of July! Have a safe and lovely day!

Right back atcha! It's a beautiful day here. We're sitting on the porch enjoying the breeze and ignoring the neighbor's occasional firecrackers!

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Its too hot for the porch here.Already 90!  My nephew is taking his boat to the lake and I’m invited, but based on past experiences, I don’t think I can fight the crowd.  The water can get really full and then the water dicy.   I may venture to Sheetz for $1.77 per gallon gas!   Its a special for today only!  Long lines though.  

• Like 8

Seeing the post shared from some strange woman rambling about her washboards and "ringer" washer in the Sweet Fellowship thread reminded me of a story my mother loves to tell.

When she and my dad were first married, they had a wringer washer.  She hated the thing.  My dad was in the Air Force at the time and had the big heavy fatigues that she had to wash.  She had a hard time wringing them out because they were too thick to put through the wringer.  However, Dad thought he knew better and proceeded to try to put some of his fatigues through the wringer and promptly broke it.  My mother was so mad and told him he had to get her a new washer right away.  So they went to the appliance store, but she was so mad by this time she refused to get out of the car.  So he was in the shop pointing to various wringer washers to try to get her to choose one and she just kept shaking her head no.  Finally he pointed to an automatic washer and she nodded and got out of the car.  We still laugh about that and how much time it took for him to get a clue.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
On 7/2/2023 at 10:36 PM, ChiCricket said:

Could fireworks outside be bothering him? My house was soundproofed when they expanded O'Hare airport, so we don't hear many outside noises with our windows closed. But the last few days all the fireworks going off in my neighborhood are making my cats very jumpy. (And I live in the suburbs, so it's not as bad as the city.) 

So weird how we've been in such a drought, and then the only time we get torrential rain is the weekend the Nascar race was set here. I bet the organizers were fuming.

Oh yes. Between the thunder, rain etc Sunday morning he would not go out. I felt AWFUL, I had to leave at 1pm to drive to the wedding in Michigan City. I did get a text from M that he eventually went potty around 3pm, she heard his barking, went up stairs to get him and he went in the backyard speedy quick. 

The NASCAR race meant we stayed away from LSD and took 90/94 out to the wedding and back. 

• Like 8

Are any other Small Talkers gearing up for Nordstrom Anniversary sale?

I am adding things to my wishlist so my shopper can order for me while I am in Vegas (she will get credit for the sale)- and yes I have been spending money like it’s going out of style (I need to restrain myself the rest of 2023); but I need a new pair of jeans, a bra, and a fall coat. As usual with Nordstrom I will order a bunch and return what doesn’t work out. Why is shopping so tempting? Why??? 

• Like 11
27 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am adding things to my wishlist so my shopper can order for me while I am in Vegas (she will get credit for the sale)- and yes I have been spending money like it’s going out of style (I need to restrain myself the rest of 2023); but I need a new pair of jeans, a bra, and a fall coat. As usual with Nordstrom I will order a bunch and return what doesn’t work out. Why is shopping so tempting? Why??? 

I have this thing with sales. I love getting a deal.  I rarely buy anything without price shopping and getting the best buy, in my mind.  I’m gearing up for Prime day, although, i don’t think i purchased anything last year.  

• Like 8
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have this thing with sales. I love getting a deal.  I rarely buy anything without price shopping and getting the best buy, in my mind.  I’m gearing up for Prime day, although, i don’t think i purchased anything last year.  

I wish I was more like you- getting a deal is nice but I often find if I wait (on a need), they don’t have my size or what I am looking for. That’s why I love Nordstrom Anniversary sale- it’s preseason and they actually have things I want!

I think I’ll be skipping out on Prime Day as I am good on electronics and household type things. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

My grandson has been living with me for the last 3 weeks. It was only supposed to be for the summer b/c my daughter has an open CPS investagation, but when we visited this weekend she asked me to file for permanent guardianship. She has finally realized that both kids together are too much for her. Since I live in a different state, once the judge here gives me guardianship, there isn't anything her caseworker can do. 

It's wonderful that he is here. My depression has lifted, a lot, but OMG I'm tired! He is 12, on the autism spectrum, has ADHD, ODD, and is mentally/emotionally 7-10. I'm working very hard to use gentle parenting, while still enforcing rules and boundaries. He is very cooperative and helpful when approached in a respectful manner. He also responds well to "You may choose to (do what I want) and (do what you want) or you may choose not to (do what I want) and not (do what you want). I say "yes" more than "no", don't require instant obedience, and listen to what he says, adjusting my requests to accomodate his concerns when they're valid. Since I played the "Obey" game with my kids, this does not come natural to me, but the results are very promising. ☺️

God bless you! having walked a similar journey for 14 years, i recognize what you are taking on. i am positive i made a difference and know you will too.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 4
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thanks for the reminder. I'm trying to behave and not pick out so much stuff.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m gearing up for Prime day, although, i don’t think i purchased anything last year

I've been looking at what's going to be on sale on Prime...this is what I sent to my kids yesterday, saying I couldn't pass up such a sale! 😉🤣

They were like WTHeck mom! 😁

I had never heard of a chicken plucker before... 

received_9504622202943550.jpeg

• LOL 8

Watched or should I say I " tried" to watch Jeremy's sermon....I sped back and forth, watched and listened...this comes on the heels of me studying the Aristotelian ( Greek) way of Learning Vs. the Hebraic ( or learning through the lens of the ancient - Israelite/ Jew) way...East vs western way of thinking...and my 2 on Jeremy is...He is well down the path of his peers in seminary, great formula, practiced...

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dimi1 said:

Watched or should I say I " tried" to watch Jeremy's sermon....I sped back and forth, watched and listened...this comes on the heels of me studying the Aristotelian ( Greek) way of Learning Vs. the Hebraic ( or learning through the lens of the ancient - Israelite/ Jew) way...East vs western way of thinking...and my 2 on Jeremy is...He is well down the path of his peers in seminary, great formula, practiced...

What's the formula? I noticed that he preached more with stories than he had in the past. However, I think his audience was adolescents, so maybe he simplifies? (I made it up to the point where he FINALLY got to the point and introduced the Psalm. That was enough.🤪)

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 4

The mobility scooter is here and assembled! That was fast! But they left it along the side of the house when I paid for indoor delivery- you know I’m getting my delivery fee back. IMG_8889.thumb.jpeg.3f2ef6c668eeb81f4c85085726402b2e.jpeg

I dragged it into the yard to assemble it. I promised my cousin I would take a video of myself disassembling it for car transport- he has paralysis and limited mobility due to his stroke, but at 6’3 he would have to have the bigger size (my mom just barely fits into this one, and now that she’s has gotten older she is 5’7 like me). He was thinking about one and I highly recommended it. Why are all these designed for such tiny people? And I don’t mean weight (which of course matters too) but height! Tall people need mobility devices too. Yet it’s a search to find something for anyone bigger than 5’10. 

71010466886__5617AFD4-AC1E-4098-AE0A-66D739A77E30.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Useful 3

@Scarlett45 I applaud you for getting it put together so fast.

It was interesting what you said about the size issues. I see people in the grocery store on those scooter carts. Sometimes they look like they’re trying to ride a child’s toy as they are so big their knees stick out funny. 

Boo on the delivery people for not making sure they literally handed it over to you (or someone in your household). I don’t know about where you live but theft is bad in my city. Some thieves actually follow UPS trucks and steal what they deliver. I’m sure those motility chairs are not cheap. 

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It was interesting what you said about the size issues. I see people in the grocery store on those scooter carts. Sometimes they look like they’re trying to ride a child’s toy as they are so big their knees stick out funny. 

Boo on the delivery people for not making sure they literally handed it over to you (or someone in your household). I don’t know about where you live but theft is bad in my city. Some thieves actually follow UPS trucks and steal what they deliver. I’m sure those motility chairs are not cheap. 

I live in Chicago (city proper)- we get a lot of packages and not too much theft (I’ve had only about 5ish packages stolen off the porch in 6yrs), but I paid for indoor delivery (with my intent to have it placed in the garage) because given I’m the ONLY person in my family without a disability of some kind, if M isn’t at work I have to move things alone it’s HARD. I do have neighbors I would feel comfortable asking for help but that wasn’t the point. I didn’t even get a call that they dropped it outside- I saw it when I took Cosmo out and it was just in the way! What if it had been raining or I didn’t have time to assemble it that afternoon?

Yes these things are small- my cousin who’s had the stroke was always lean, and is very thin post stroke but he’s still 6’3! No way could he use this one, he needs the more expensive/bigger model. I do wonder how my mom will do because she doesn’t have a full range of motion in her knees. I have a feeling her toes will stick off the edge- we shall see. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

What's the formula? I noticed that he preached more with stories than he had in the past. However, I think his audience was adolescents, so maybe he simplifies? (I made it up to the point where he FINALLY got to the point and introduced the Psalm. That was enough.🤪)

Too long to write out...but this podcast sheds some light...and this is a BIG topic and I haven't gone down the rabbit hole yet...but I find it fascinating from a cultural perspective...and in studying the early churches in acts and their behavior...https://www.bemadiscipleship.com/0?fbclid=IwAR3ggotWRStRqgXn8_bd_CWMMaxNPfefbkaEkTbDxG4OSnS087Jx7Mgx5us

2 minutes ago, Dimi1 said:

Too long to write out...but this podcast sheds some light...and this is a BIG topic and I haven't gone down the rabbit hole yet...but I find it fascinating from a cultural perspective...and in studying the early churches in acts and their behavior...https://www.bemadiscipleship.com/0?fbclid=IwAR3ggotWRStRqgXn8_bd_CWMMaxNPfefbkaEkTbDxG4OSnS087Jx7Mgx5us

edited to add...there is a transcript to peruse...you don't have to listen to the podcast...

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Where I used to live in California, thieves would rent a U haul pickup and follow right behind the  UPS truck. Several people had video on their Ring doorbells.  I'm glad this package was not "lifted".  I put up with 8 years of mail theft before I moved.  You would think the delivery company would be a little more careful.  I'm so glad this all worked out.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1

Does anyone have any thoughts on Maytag refrigerators?  Or whirlpool?  I researched brands a couple of years ago, when my parents’ fridge went on the fritz, and they all had loads of complaints.   Two on sale are the Maytag and Whirlpool. 

9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Maytag refrigerators?  Or whirlpool?  I researched brands a couple of years ago, when my parents’ fridge went on the fritz, and they all had loads of complaints.   Two on sale are the Maytag and Whirlpool. 

We have a Whirlpool we bought at Costco ten years ago and have not had any problems so far. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, SMama said:

We have a Whirlpool we bought at Costco ten years ago and have not had any problems so far. 

Thanks.  I may go with it, because I just realized the Maytag isn’t available until Aug or Sept!  It’s not for my primary residence, but i still can’t  wait that long.  Now, it’s between the Whirlpool and LG.  Don’t know much about LG, but its energy rated.  

I think it is Samsung to stay away from.  Son and cousin both have huge problems and there is a Facebook page and maybe a class action suit.  We have an LG and happy with it.  It is about seven years old.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I had a Maytag for 23 years. I replaced it with the same because it was on sale and I didn't want to take my chances for it to go out on me. I have a basic fridge; smaller to fit the space and no icemaker or water in the door. Our old icemaker broke years ago and we've gotten used to using ice trays. 

• Like 3

It seems to me that any appliances older than 20-30 years just keep ticking along, until they do, inevitably, give up the ghost. But anything new you get to replace it, you are lucky to get more than eight years out of, including a few service calls for stuff that starts glitching out the minute the warrantee runs out.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2

My mom's fridge is still going strong, and my grandma purchased it in 1992/1993.  I will *never* buy a Samsung again.  We had to have the computer replaced twice in less than 5 years, and it finally bit the dust in 9 years.  We do have a TV and washer from Samsung, and those are doing great.  Our current fridge is an LG.  It has the separate glass door on the right that gives access to commonly used items and ice/water in the door.  It wasn't the cheapest option, but the delivery time was fairly quick compared to other brands.  I love it so much, and so does our one kitten who gets so excited when the ice maker refills itself 😉

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It seems to me that any appliances older than 20-30 years just keep ticking along, until they do, inevitably, give up the ghost. But anything new you get to replace it, you are lucky to get more than eight years out of, including a few service calls for stuff that starts glitching out the minute the warrantee runs out.

This has been my family's experience too. The freezer my late great-grandmother bought in the 50s is still keeping on keeping on. The newer appliances my various relatives have purchased go to hell usually within a few years. 

• Like 6

I was surprised that I had to replace the rubber door gaskets on my two year old refrigerator.  The appliance repair guy was surprised, too, but he said mine were not the first ones he has replaced.  I have never had to replace door gaskets before, ever.  I just hope the new ones last a lot longer.  They were pricy.

• Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 4

I personally know 4 people who recently got appliances delivered by a certain home improvement box store who were very disappointed. In one case it was the wrong item and the others got damaged items that were not usable!  I found a you tube video about it too.  So, I’m planning to use another place. (Home depot) Hope it works out.  

• Sad 3
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Y'all need to be careful. Our appliances know when we talk about them and will breakdown or quit on a dime just to mess with us when we do. 🙃😬😉🤔🤣

I know. And for sure, I haven't trusted the router for quite some time now. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 20
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I know. And for sure, I haven't trusted the router for quite some time now. 

We are all aware of the sociopathic routers that frame people for possessing images of CSA, landing them in prison.  It is more common than people realize.  Never trust a router.

• LOL 24
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I personally know 4 people who recently got appliances delivered by a certain home improvement box store who were very disappointed. In one case it was the wrong item and the others got damaged items that were not usable!  I found a you tube video about it too.  So, I’m planning to use another place. (Home depot) Hope it works out.  

When we bought this house, 11 years ago, there was an older side-by-side GE fridge/freezer, which we moved to the basement because I don't really care for that configuration. We'd bought a new, French-door style Samsung model in our previous house, which had worked out really well, so we decided to get that again. Of course, we had only been in the previous house for three years, so I have no idea how that fridge lasted, but the one we bought here started acting up after about five years, and died completely after about seven. We fought with Samsung for months trying to get some sort of compensation, since their repairman said there had been a flaw in the freezer from the start, but they wouldn't budge.

I never could find another fridge with a layout I liked as much, since I would much prefer extra door space inside the fridge to the convenience of water in the door (our tap water is lovely, thank you).

The old GE fridge down in the basement, in the meantime, runs perfectly well.

We have also replaced two dishwashers and two stoves since we have been here, though, to be fair, I killed one of them myself when I managed to have hot oil overflow a pot on the stovetop and get into all the components.

And, to make it all even more annoying, both Lowes and Home Depot have stopped giving their 10% military discount on big-ticket items. Used to be, you could even combine that with a sale price, but that went away a long time ago. It was always really useful as much as we had to relocate every couple of years.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 3

Re: Appliances. My brother, most of my neighbors and myself have Samsung refrigerators. All of us have issues with them. Especially the ice makers. My neighbors (4 of them that I know of) also got their flat top stoves. Another mistake. They scratch easily and look old and worn even if they’re only a year old. I have GE profile one that came with my house 6 years ago. Not a single scratch and I’m hard on a cooktop. Their Samsung dishwashers take a long time to run. 60 minutes for the short cycle. My GE takes 31 minutes, and the regular cycle takes 64. Personally I’ll never buy another Samsung appliance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

We took the scooter out on its first spin to an outdoor mall- I figured wide paths and things to do. We bought a BDay gift for the trip next weekend, restocked skincare, listened to a lovely violinist and had lunch. 

My mom said she had an amazing day! 

I’ve noticed my mom is so much more “timid” than she even was a few years ago  

She said the ground wasn’t level and she was afraid of tipping over-
I told her politely this was as level as we would get outdoors and I promised she wasn’t going to fall over 😕.

She then wanted to turn around and go back after we bought the bday gift-
“No you have to practice!”

She then said she was hungry-So we did the length of the mall in search of food. 

I told my mom I know how hard Grandfather was on her and I appreciate her trying to be better- she does try. He gave her SUCH a hard time, I saw it as a child, and she had so much to do, being his only child, no partner, trying to give me a “normal life”, dealing with my sister, working 80hrs a week and paying for everything. As an adult with both her and my sister to think about, and trying to make sure I have time to myself I empathize even more with what she went though. And although she reminds me of Grandfather more and more everyday, she does try and listen (finally- how many years did we butt heads over xyz for my sister??)

I told her she had to keep practicing and in the winter she had to commit to indoor venues so she could hone her scooter driving skills. She says she wants to go to the aquarium in the winter.

Its the circle of life-the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records(you know I can’t pass up a Disney reference). 

• Hugs 16
  • Love 6

For some reason for many people anxiety increases with age.  We've had a few more dings in life or enough health problems to realize we don't bounce back from things or it's a function of aging for some people.  It's good you aren't letting it get the better of her and can empathize with her life.  

• Like 15

Every time I’m using this site every click on a new topic I get a giant ad. I’m going to quit posting. I’m tired of trying to get rid of the ads. 

The ad takes up half the screen. And they’re a ton more on the bottom. Super annoying.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Every time I’m using this site every click on a new topic I get a giant ad. I’m going to quit posting. I’m tired of trying to get rid of the ads. 

The ad takes up half the screen. And they’re a ton more on the bottom. Super annoying.

No, no, we don't want to lose you!  I use a free ad blocker, Ad Block Plus and it works great.  There are other free ones too.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

use a free adblocker.  I don't get any ads at all

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1