Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Searching, but not having luck finding one that blocks Chrome on Android. 

Anyone have suggestions? 

I haven’t a clue about androids. Is there an equivalent of the App Store that iPhones have?

9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I tried googling AdBlock for Android, but none of the suggestions come up in the app store. I'm at a loss, paranoid of downloading something with a virus.

Did you do a search in the App Store itself? You could do that and Google reviews on something you find before downloading. 

• Like 1
Just now, ginger90 said:

Did you do a search in the App Store itself? You could do that and Google reviews on something you find before downloading. 

Yeah, I searched ad blockers in the app store. Everything came with a VPN. I can't use my printer with a VPN, so they're out. I'll keep searching. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I know absolutely nothing about Androids, but I did find a few bits of info.

This appears to be an entire browser that eliminates ads and this article mentions there are no system-wide ad blockers in the Google Play Store

ETA-I know it would be a pain in the ass, but could you pause the VPN when you needed to print?  We need to have a VPN for when Mr. Six works from home, which isn't a ton, but it does happen.  I think it's something we're always going to have, and I like having it.

Edited by sixlets

The last iPhone update wasn't very good.  While I'm not getting ads, the calendar on the iPhone is now useless.  I'm not sure what they were thinking, but now it  is cluttered, and it is very hard to enter appointments on the correct date.  If you are getting ads--or have a problem with the updates-- email www.Apple.com/feedback.  I have been told by an Apple tech that they really do read feedback emails.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 6
9 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

The last iPhone update wasn't very good.  While I'm not getting ads, the calendar on the iPhone is now useless.  I'm not sure what they were thinking, but now it  is cluttered, and it is very hard to enter appointments on the correct date.  If you are getting ads--or have a problem with the updates-- email www.Apple.com/feedback.  I have been told by an Apple tech that they really do read feedback emails.

Wow, interesting.  I don't seem to have that problem with the update.  I put an ad blocker on separate from what they offer.  There are free ones in the app store.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

I have the Brave browser on my Android phone. It blocks ads on the phone. (I also use it on my MacBooks - Air and Pro. It blocks ads there too.) 

It's available in the Google Play store. (The listing says it has ads and in-app purchases but that hasn't been my experience.) I believe it's also available for iPhones.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I have the Brave browser on my Android phone. It blocks ads on the phone. (I also use it on my MacBooks - Air and Pro. It blocks ads there too.) 

It's available in the Google Play store. (The listing says it has ads and in-app purchases but that hasn't been my experience.) I believe it's also available for iPhones.

The Firefox Focus browser works the same way. 

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I tried googling AdBlock for Android, but none of the suggestions come up in the app store. I'm at a loss, paranoid of downloading something with a virus.

Download Firefox for mobile and install the UBlock Origin add-on as an ad blocker. That's what I use on my Samsung galaxy phone.

@oliviabenson - sometimes when it rains, it pours. It sounds like you're in one of those times right now. I'm so sorry about your cousin and that you had to miss your mom's friends's funeral. Please take some time for self care. Thinking of you! ♥️

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
22 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I just took my 19-year old cat to be cremated. She died in my arms last night 🥲.

I am so sorry.  I have been in that situation, and understand how you must feel.  Please take care of yourself.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, awaken said:

I’m not sure what changed, but now I get huge ads on this site. I never used to!  I almost exclusively use safari on my phone. 

I’ve had the same issue trying to read this site on my phone. All of a sudden a pop up ad covers more than half of the screen and it can’t be closed. Meanwhile the tiny speck of screen left is often covered by an in-line ad. I’ve never really needed an ad blocker on my phone before but I guess I do now. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I’ve had the same issue trying to read this site on my phone. All of a sudden a pop up ad covers more than half of the screen and it can’t be closed. Meanwhile the tiny speck of screen left is often covered by an in-line ad. I’ve never really needed an ad blocker on my phone before but I guess I do now. 

Same here!

• Hugs 2
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@oliviabenson - sometimes when it rains, it pours. It sounds like you're in one of those times right now. I'm so sorry about your cousin and that you had to miss your mom's friends's funeral. Please take some time for self care. Thinking of you! ♥️

Thank you ❤️

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm so sorry, @AstridM. In 2019 I lost my 19+ year-old kitty who had been with me since she was three weeks old. I know how much that hurts. I had several good photos of her printed and framed and they still bring me comfort. I say good morning to her most days.

• Hugs 9
(edited)

Anyone own a Eufy RoboVac? The G40 or G40+, in particular, or any one really. Thinking of taking the plunge. 

Well shit. I went and bought one. Hoping I love it.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The mods have finally addressed the pop up ad problems. Hopefully, for people like me who can't find adequate protection, they will go away. 

I hope it works because right now it’s impossible to read the forum for me. 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, SMama said:

Now I’m not seeing ads, but “trending content” from 6 years ago is showing up at the bottom of every screen. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Now I’m not seeing ads, but “trending content” from 6 years ago is showing up at the bottom of every screen. 

Yeah, I just noticed that. I see that on another Invision board I post on. Tech has been dicking around with the settings. 

• Like 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, AstridM said:

I'm also seeing that. In my case it links to content - dated 2017 -  from a forum I have barely visited, much less participated in, for years. 🤣 

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Did anyone else get an email stating that the administrator needs you to change your password for this site?  I can get on the site just fine.  I think this might be a scam.

Really? I did get an email stating that, but it wasn't for this site - it was for a similar site. Yikes!

• Like 2

Another popular site had an "operator error" overnight that resulted in everyone there needing a password reset.  Not fun, but nothing malicious.  One wrong keystroke can sometimes create chaos.  

• Like 4
12 hours ago, SMama said:

Same. It's just as bad on my phone. I have a video on the side of any page on my laptop. It's on the TOP of the pages on my phone. I have one big ad on the side of the page on my laptop as well. Plus the one on the bottom that has been there since the last update of this site. Hopefully this gets fixed because it's really bad.

• Like 7

Tech said they got a new ad company. This one seems worse than the last. 

1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Really? I did get an email stating that, but it wasn't for this site - it was for a similar site. Yikes!

Yup, I got a notification from FJ. 

• Like 4
On 7/10/2023 at 3:04 PM, AstridM said:

I just took my 19-year old cat to be cremated. She died in my arms last night 🥲.

I am so sorry- I have been there. I am sure you gave her a wonderful life, and that decision was your last bit of care for her. 

If you want to share more with people who understand, the Pets thread is a very supportive place as well. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Did anyone else get an email stating that the administrator needs you to change your password for this site?  I can get on the site just fine.  I think this might be a scam.

No, but I got one from Free Jinger!

16 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I didn't get any of this on my iPhone or iPad.  I don't think they or me are special, just wondering why it is so hit or miss.

I haven’t gotten any ads on my iPad or iPhone either, but I use 2 ad blockers and a VPN. So glad they’re working. 

• Like 2