Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

How did you get to post separately?  Whenever I try to post separately too close together time-wise, my responses often get merged when I don't want them to.  ☹️

I wait 5 minutes 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm more tempted than ever to try out a Roomba after reading some of the posts about them lately. I wonder whether our cat, Emrys, would ride on it. He loves taking rides in my mom's walker (she has one of those with the seats that she can use to take a break in, and he thinks that's his personal vantage point and taxi service). 

Oh my goodness, Lady Reese feels this way about my Mom’s walker too! I’ve been meaning to get a picture but I’m always busy when it happens. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2023 at 4:24 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg, glad you’re ok.  It’s been many years since driving through a desert.  Were you scared waiting by the road?  Snakes….both those slithering and those on 2 feet would have made me nervous.   Glad it worked out.  Seven hundred one way!  Man, I don’t think I’d be up for that.  

i wasnt scared....it was daylight and lots of traffic on the highway. plus the AAA called me every 15 minutes to check on me. i just stayed in my car. if there had been no traffic and i was really alone out there, yes i would have been afraid of every car, wondering if they would stop to 'help' me.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, Leeds said:

Newest one was skip for Dumpster, as in they found the body in the skip. 

Years ago, when BBCA actually had British shows I remembered watching Ground Force, a garden makeover show usually always with a water feature.  They had some shows where they crossed the pond, and they really seemed to like the term dumpster instead of their usual skip.  Usually I find the Brtis have more interesting terms then we do.

• Useful 1
(edited)

What a great day!  You know how some times you feel that the saying No good deed goes unpunished is inevitable? Sadly, it’s true too often. But, today not true.  I helped someone out about a year ago with no expectations at all.  Today, I got a handsome check for it!  So grateful!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 12
  • Love 6
On 6/7/2023 at 7:10 AM, Jeeves said:

The trip was - fine. A welcome break from my so-called life. I had pretty good luck with weather, and except for one taxi driver in Birmingham, encountered people who were helpful, kind, funny, interesting, and generally a credit to the human species. Saw many interesting things, some for the first time, others as revisits. 

And, I was ready to come home by the last day or two. That's a good trip - happy to go and ready to come home at the end. 

I hope I'm misreading, but to me "fine" sounds like "just OK", "nothing to write home about", or some such.  I hope your trip was more than that and not a disappointment.

• Like 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Aging, some new physical challenges, and other things. I couldn't walk all the miles I used to, experienced more pain than I wanted, and just didn't get around to all the places that I'd hoped to at my various destinations. I spent more time resting in my hotel room than I would have even a decade ago, vs. going all day every day. My inner child is throwing a f*cking fit about how my 70-something bod wasn't up to what it could do several years ago, LOL. 

I empathize and also encountered a lot of these new Senior challenges on my trip as well. Unfortunately I was with a person who could go all day and it irked me that I had trouble keeping up. You were lucky that you could at least have some down time to recharge. I will definitely be changing my expectations next time I travel as it’s a part of my life I’m unwilling to give up yet. I’m glad at least you made it to your happy place 🧸

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 10
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2023 at 2:12 PM, oliviabenson said:

I came outside to see how the air is and started to choke. The air is bad and has an orange hue to it. Wow. I never seen anything like this in my whole longggg life. 

57A12958-B0AC-4459-8611-90DADE12FEF7.jpeg

3D6F090E-9601-4FE9-BF95-604CB6F74A5D.jpeg

Just the sky!

BAB765A7-52D5-4A70-9B90-8BED32CFB606.jpeg

It wasn't quite so bad here, but that reminds me of when we were living in San Diego area, and there was a fire somewhere out past the airport. Same kind of orange glow to everything, and the sun was just a dim, little red ball. Another murky episode was when we were stationed in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor), and the volcano on the Big Island was erupting. The so-called "vog" was pretty thick then as well .

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I wanted to share with my Small Talk friends who don’t frequent the Pets thread-

IMG_8802.thumb.jpeg.307f0cd928c66f62f4124afa87bdc1ad.jpeg

Cavendish loves the most recent Nordy box. There hasn’t been one in a while but Anniversary Sale is next month!

IMG_8790.thumb.jpeg.75659908cef856a1077110af59495a50.jpegIMG_8786.thumb.jpeg.086e2e1e12f4c2a7b542e2bb4eee052d.jpeg

I call this one “thoughts of naan I wasn’t allowed to eat”!IMG_8783.thumb.jpeg.92597076e78a871ff6865e5bc083f4c4.jpegIMG_8778.thumb.jpeg.c8ccbf80061d7d01a0927f20f26808ca.jpeg

He went to the groomer- he hated it but he looks so handsome!

• Like 5
  • Love 19
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I wanted to share with my Small Talk friends who don’t frequent the Pets thread-

IMG_8802.thumb.jpeg.307f0cd928c66f62f4124afa87bdc1ad.jpeg

Cavendish loves the most recent Nordy box. There hasn’t been one in a while but Anniversary Sale is next month!

IMG_8790.thumb.jpeg.75659908cef856a1077110af59495a50.jpegIMG_8786.thumb.jpeg.086e2e1e12f4c2a7b542e2bb4eee052d.jpeg

I call this one “thoughts of naan I wasn’t allowed to eat”!IMG_8783.thumb.jpeg.92597076e78a871ff6865e5bc083f4c4.jpegIMG_8778.thumb.jpeg.c8ccbf80061d7d01a0927f20f26808ca.jpeg

He went to the groomer- he hated it but he looks so handsome!

Adorable!  Cosmo looks like he would be a snuggle-bug! Cavendish very smart looking!!!!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Adorable!  Cosmo looks like he would be a snuggle-bug! Cavendish very smart looking!!!!

Cosmo doesn’t really snuggle because he’s not allowed on the furniture. I feel not bright that it took me almost two years to realize that he always follows me around! He does like to lay right by my feel though. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Ok y'all,  I am officially over summer. I just checked  my weather app and it is 89° with a feels like temp of 98 °. Our ' low' tonight will be 80° at 2 am.  It has been this way for about 2 weeks ( I think, I have lost track) and there does not seem to be an end in sight.  It usually does not get this bad till the middle of July.  To make things worse at work I cannot run one AC ( I do have 2) the temperature is between 80° in the front of the store and 86 in the back. We are trying to get the AC company to fix it. At home to save money I keep the thermostat at 79° day and night. Send ice.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 14
8 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ok y'all,  I am officially over summer. I just checked  my weather app and it is 89° with a feels like temp of 98 °. Our ' low' tonight will be 80° at 2 am.  It has been this way for about 2 weeks ( I think, I have lost track) and there does not seem to be an end in sight.  It usually does not get this bad till the middle of July.  To make things worse at work I cannot run one AC ( I do have 2) the temperature is between 80° in the front of the store and 86 in the back. We are trying to get the AC company to fix it. At home to save money I keep the thermostat at 79° day and night. Send ice.

That sounds miserable, @crazycatlady58! I hate to be so hot for an extended period. Hang in there and I hope your AC is fixed soon!

• Like 8

@crazycatlady58 Agreed. That is just too hot. Have you tried one of those cooling towels worn around your neck (if allowed in their dress code altho I’m of the opinion that the dress code should allow one for such extreme conditions)? I hope the service person shows up soon and you get your air conditioning sorted. 

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@crazycatlady58 Agreed. That is just too hot. Have you tried one of those cooling towels worn around your neck (if allowed in their dress code altho I’m of the opinion that the dress code should allow one for such extreme conditions)? I hope the service person shows up soon and you get your air conditioning sorted. 

I did not think of a cooling towel.  As to the dress code I don't think anyone would care. I do have a necklace fan which is very helpful. The man who in charge of store repair is trying to get our AC company to respond with a quote but not having much luck. I do not understand why the company is unwilling to respond. You would think they would want the business. Anyone in the Houston TX area know of a good commercial AC company?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I did not think of a cooling towel.  As to the dress code I don't think anyone would care. I do have a necklace fan which is very helpful. The man who in charge of store repair is trying to get our AC company to respond with a quote but not having much luck. I do not understand why the company is unwilling to respond. You would think they would want the business. Anyone in the Houston TX area know of a good commercial AC company?

I was reading your post, and thinking it sounded like the things my son had been saying about the weather, then got to the end and realized that you are fairly close to where he is. He just left the Marines, and got a job in Texas, where he is currently looking for a house (found one yesterday in Beaumont that he will be putting in an offer for, so wish him luck!)

The weather there does seem miserable, and I hope you get the a/c situation fixed soon!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I was reading your post, and thinking it sounded like the things my son had been saying about the weather, then got to the end and realized that you are fairly close to where he is. He just left the Marines, and got a job in Texas, where he is currently looking for a house (found one yesterday in Beaumont that he will be putting in an offer for, so wish him luck!)

The weather there does seem miserable, and I hope you get the a/c situation fixed soon!

Tell him welcome to Texas and if he can get through one of our summers it is smooth sailing from here on. If he is in Beaumont if we get a tropical storm warning or hurricane warning tell hin not to take it lightly.  If that happens he can dm me if he has questions. 

• Like 7
(edited)

It’s rainy today and I’m waiting at my Endocrinologist’s office freezing!  Man, it’s cold in this place.  But, more great news!  Duke University announces they will pay the cost of tuition for all their students from NC and SC with family incomes under $150, 000.   Awesome!  Duke is close to me, so I’m really glad to see this.  

https://www.wral.com/story/duke-university-to-provide-full-tuition-for-nc-and-sc-families-with-incomes-below-150-000/20918964/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 11
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2

I think I've complained about my annoying sil (not a sister in love like the Duggars supposedly have!) here before. She's really gone around the bend since her (and my husband's) oldest sister passed away suddenly in December. My late sil died without a will and it's been quite an effort for her daughter to manage her estate from 3 states away. Unfortunately she died with a lot of debt and a mortgage, so there isn't much for her 2 daughters to inherit, maybe nothing after probate is over. My living sil (I'll call her Cecelia) is determined to get something from the estate and has been pestering our niece with constant requests for mementos and claiming that money is owed to her from agreements she claims she had with my late sil. Our niece is beside herself and my husband and I are disgusted with his sister's greed and lack of kindness towards our niece. Here's the thing. Cecilia has always been narcissistic and unpleasant to deal with. So to be perfectly honest, we're angry at ourselves for never speaking up about it and just putting up with her behavior. The last time we were together, she told my husband, who is the youngest of the three and the only boy, that he ruined a happy family by being born. There's no truth to that - they were never a very happy family, but that comment was kind of the final straw for him. Cecilia is a very controlling person and is unhappy that our niece chose to handle the estate herself rather than allowing Cecilia to handle it (from 5 states away!). She hates to not be in control. I feel like a confrontation may result from all of this drama and I hate confrontation. But we would stand up to Cecilia to support our niece. This is stress we did not need on top of grieving. I know that estate issues can tear apart close families, and this family is not particularly close. 😢

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 14

Why is it that when someone passes away that other family members always think that they are due something? I’ve seen so many unhappy outcomes. Even when the is a will and then the Executor isn’t fair. Spell it out what you choose to leave. 

• Like 10
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

The last time we were together, she told my husband, who is the youngest of the three and the only boy, that he ruined a happy family by being born. There's no truth to that - they were never a very happy family, but that comment was kind of the final straw for him.

That’s an atrocious thing to say to someone. And makes Cecilia look like a fool- a BABY has no say in the matter regarding being born! Also it’s just an asshole thing to say. 

I am glad you and your husband are there for your niece. 

• Like 13
  • Love 2

Thanks for the feedback, @Mindthinkrand @Scarlett45 and for all of the hugs etc., everyone else!  ♥️ Cecilia is not likely to change and that's what I've tried to tell our niece. She keeps hoping for a different response, but life experience tells me that's not going to happen!

Ugh! The air quality today is horrible (Northern IL) - I skipped my walk again today. I just can't breathe out there! Staying in allowed me to finish my jigsaw puzzle (500 piece) that I got for my birthday last month. It's beautiful flowers. I just listened to podcasts and worked on it for a while each day for about a week.  

My next door neighbor went into assisted living. Her son-in-law said she finally agreed. She's been in and out of rehab after numerous falls and she really can't live alone anymore. I'm sure she's miserable about it, but I hope she'll be happy there. She has spent her entire life in this town and the facility is in town, so I expect she'll know some of the residents. She's very sociable. I think she'll eat better there too. I didn't get to say good-bye, but I can visit after she gets settled and I'm good about sending cards. I hope we get nice neighbors! She was quiet as a mouse and that's what we're used to. 

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm going to allow myself a bit of a vent here as well, though I recognize that my circumstances are practically blissful in comparison with those of so many other people's.

First or all, my mom has been living here with us under hospice care for the past few months. Every so often, it seems as though we are on the verge of losing her, then she seems to rally for a few days before crashing again. There's not actually a whole lot wrong with her, as far as her blood work/vitals, etc, but she is 89, has a lot of nerve pain, has had a number of mini-stroke which sometimes make communication a bit frustrating for her, as she is an exceptionally intelligent woman. Getting up out of bed has gotten to the point of being a bit too much for her for more than than a few minutes here and there, she barely eats anymore...though she has tried very hard to maintain her mostly happy disposition. I do what I can, but unfortunately I don't have that sort of natural nurturing gene which those who gravitate to a nursing profession seem to have. So it's been a bit difficult.

On top of that, I babysit my 18 month old grandson two days a week, which, though he can be an utter joy, is, In some ways, not that much different than caring for Mom. 

And Mr Jyn just came home from his monthly 6-day long fishing trip with friends in Virginia (we live in CT), and came home early with a fever and feeling horrible, which turned out, after he finally admitted it after a few days, probably had something to do with either a bug bite or a cut/splinter/something high on the back of his thigh which looked very angrily infected, but he absolutely refused to go to urgent care with it until yesterday evening, when he has been dealing with the fever for five days already. He has antibiotics now, so hopefully they work, but since they could not quite tell what the cause of the infection was, he may have to go back for blood work if it doesn't start getting better by tomorrow.

I'm about worn out.

Both my sons have come back to visit, separately, in the past week or so, since it seemed they might have to be saying goodbye to their grandmother, and while it was wonderful to get to see them, that was more juggling of the schedule, fixing requested meals for larger groups (since daughter and her family were also here quite a bit, though they live locally). I have not been able to get to my silver sneakers classes at the gym in a month, since it always seems like just the wrong time to be leaving everyone alone. Just kind of a perfect storm of stuff going on, none of it horrible enough that I really feel justified in complaining, but I'm just so tired right now ...

We are here for you.  Your situation is  certainly "vent worthy".  

• Like 15
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm going to allow myself a bit of a vent here as well, though I recognize that my circumstances are practically blissful in comparison with those of so many other people's.

First or all, my mom has been living here with us under hospice care for the past few months. Every so often, it seems as though we are on the verge of losing her, then she seems to rally for a few days before crashing again. There's not actually a whole lot wrong with her, as far as her blood work/vitals, etc, but she is 89, has a lot of nerve pain, has had a number of mini-stroke which sometimes make communication a bit frustrating for her, as she is an exceptionally intelligent woman. Getting up out of bed has gotten to the point of being a bit too much for her for more than than a few minutes here and there, she barely eats anymore...though she has tried very hard to maintain her mostly happy disposition. I do what I can, but unfortunately I don't have that sort of natural nurturing gene which those who gravitate to a nursing profession seem to have. So it's been a bit difficult.

On top of that, I babysit my 18 month old grandson two days a week, which, though he can be an utter joy, is, In some ways, not that much different than caring for Mom. 

And Mr Jyn just came home from his monthly 6-day long fishing trip with friends in Virginia (we live in CT), and came home early with a fever and feeling horrible, which turned out, after he finally admitted it after a few days, probably had something to do with either a bug bite or a cut/splinter/something high on the back of his thigh which looked very angrily infected, but he absolutely refused to go to urgent care with it until yesterday evening, when he has been dealing with the fever for five days already. He has antibiotics now, so hopefully they work, but since they could not quite tell what the cause of the infection was, he may have to go back for blood work if it doesn't start getting better by tomorrow.

I'm about worn out.

Both my son's have come back to visit, separately, in the past week or so, since it seemed they might have to be saying goodbye to their grandmother, and while it was wonderful to get to see them, that was more juggling of the schedule, fixing requested meals for larger groups (since daughter and her family were also here quite a bit, though they live locally). I have not been able to get to my silver sneakers classes at the gym in a month, since it always seems like just the wrong time to be leaving everyone alone. Just kind of a perfect storm of stuff going on, none of it horrible enough that I really feel justified in complaining, but I'm just so tired right now ...

You're fully justified in venting because it appears you have an overwhelming load currently.  I'd like to suggest that notify your relatives about how much you've had to do recently, and that your relatives when visiting should help out, fixing meals or else providing take-out, and generally fending for themselves.

• Like 13
  • Applause 6
42 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

And Mr Jyn just came home from his monthly 6-day long fishing trip with friends in Virginia

Also, your husband shouldn't be deserting you 6 days per month while you're handling hospice care.  I would hope that you could encourage him to skip it a month or two.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm about worn out.

Both my sons have come back to visit, separately, in the past week or so, since it seemed they might have to be saying goodbye to their grandmother, and while it was wonderful to get to see them, that was more juggling of the schedule, fixing requested meals for larger groups (since daughter and her family were also here quite a bit, though they live locally). I have not been able to get to my silver sneakers classes at the gym in a month, since it always seems like just the wrong time to be leaving everyone alone. Just kind of a perfect storm of stuff going on, none of it horrible enough that I really feel justified in complaining, but I'm just so tired right now ...

Are you getting help with your mother's hospice care? I hope that you are not solely responsible. If you are, I would get some help. You have too much on your plate. 

• Like 16
6 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Also, your husband shouldn't be deserting you 6 days per month while you're handling hospice care.  I would hope that you could encourage him to skip it a month or two.

He doesn't insist on going, but the way I see it, Mom will probably get worse before the end comes, and at the moment, there's nothing that I can't deal with, so he may as well have some R&R before then. When his mom was in the same situation a few years ago, he did more than a few trips down to Delaware to deal with her issues, and settle her in a memory care facility when she could no longer live alone, and her care became more than we could handle . Then to deal with clearing out and selling her house, etc... and, later, handle her will, closing out all her accounts, etc....he did more than any 12 other people, so I can't feel right about denying him his fishing trips right now. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 4
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Are you getting help with your mother's hospice care? I hope that you are not solely responsible. If you are, I would get some help. You have too much on your plate. 

We have a nurse who comes in once a week to check on her, and she is wonderful -she (or, sometimes someone else) is on call to come at any time if Mom has a setback. She was here a number of times last week. Also, aides are available anytime. One came yesterday to help Mom with her shower, as I don't feel comfortable doing it since she has gotten so much weaker.  If and when she gets to the point that her care becomes too difficult for me, they have more or less set up a couple of nursing homes that she will be able to move to but we would like to be able to keep her here as long as possible. Hospice does provide quite a lot of respite care when it becomes necessary 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Ugh! The air quality today is horrible (Northern IL) - I skipped my walk again today. I just can't breathe out there! Staying in allowed me to finish my jigsaw puzzle (500 piece) that I got for my birthday last month. It's beautiful flowers. I just listened to podcasts and worked on it for a while each day for about a week.  

Yes- my poor mom has felt awful! The sky looks so cloudy. We have an outdoor wedding on Sunday in MI City Indiana I hope she will be able to breathe comfortably. 

• Like 7
45 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I fully believe you. I call my sister my tall toddler and when my mom is being a PITA my tall 5yrs old (as she has the complex language skills) “once an adult, twice a child!”

Of course you are burnt out. Caregiving for one person is plenty- more than one is A LOT. Especially since if he had been on top of it he would’ve saved you the trouble. 

Rest your self! You are no good to anyone if you faint from exhaustion. I say next time people want to come over- Uber eats or delegate the cooking or clean up to someone else. You have to pick your battles. 

And I have no idea why this quoted @Salacious Kitty when this is @Jynnan tonnix’s post!

• Like 7
  • Love 4

In MN we've been under an air quality alert since yesterday until midnight tonight.  I've kept windows shut, and been surprised that I haven't had to turn the AC on (have gotten by with a fan) despite temps reaching 86.  I will run the AC tonight.  They've advised people to wear masks outside.  Temps are going to hit the 90s on the weekend and through July 4th which isn't unusual at that date.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 3
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm about worn out.

Dang, @Jynnan tonnix, I am exhausted just reading about everything on your plate. Of course you are tired. I second, third, fourth others' recommendations to try to take care of yourself, too and get help when and where you can. Hang in there and feel free to vent anytime.

• Like 12
58 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Dang, @Jynnan tonnix, I am exhausted just reading about everything on your plate. Of course you are tired. I second, third, fourth others' recommendations to try to take care of yourself, too and get help when and where you can. Hang in there and feel free to vent anytime.

I agree! 

• Like 7

@Jynnan tonnix - big hugs to you for all that you are doing for your Mom! You are a wonderful daughter and a terrific grandmother too. Clearly, you are the heart of your close, loving family. I'm sure grandson is a welcome visitor, but also a lot of work for an already busy person. Vent here anytime. We support you and your loving efforts for your family ♥️

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I just bought my Mom a mobility scooter from Spin Life. At the Dr on Monday they said Medicare wouldn’t cover it, but if she wanted it, her Dr said his parents loved theirs and to buy one 😕.  (I wasn’t at this appointment, I was taking care of my sister, her caregiver called off)

A year ago my mom could walk a block with her walker/cane, now she can’t do half a block. When we were in WDW in March her oxygen saturation dropped walking from the scooter into a giftshop!!!!! 

She can’t keep living like this, she’s far too extroverted to be stuck in the house all year (winter is one thing). I am just UPSET to see her suffering and so unhappy. 

Shes not the best at driving this- but maybe if she has more practice (compared to just once a year on vacation) she will get better. 

I will let you guys know when it arrives, and when I put it together. I figure it can live in the garage until the weather turns (just one car now) and then I can put it in the basement in November. (The basement is heated) 

image.thumb.png.8509cd4d09f8f45f6bfe3e7f9ed95040.png

She is very excited for our trip to Vegas in two weeks and to have a scooter again, zipping around the casino and the strip. I anything I can do to make her happy these days I will do, well besides let her hoard food in my freezer because I have boundaries. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm so sorry you and she are having to live with such rapid deterioration in her health.  I hope the scooter works well for her.  I also hope you can find a safe place for her to practice before attempting Vegas.  Our neighbor would be housebound without hers.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm so sorry you and she are having to live with such rapid deterioration in her health.  I hope the scooter works well for her.  I also hope you can find a safe place for her to practice before attempting Vegas.  Our neighbor would be housebound without hers.

I already reserved one for Las Vegas to be delivered to the hotel (same company that does them for Disney World and Disney Land!) so we won’t have to travel with it just yet. 

She does need to practice this summer. Once the air clears up she can join Cosmo and I on morning walk in our local park which is nice and flat with a wide walking path. 

• Like 9
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I already reserved one for Las Vegas to be delivered to the hotel (same company that does them for Disney World and Disney Land!) so we won’t have to travel with it just yet. 

She does need to practice this summer. Once the air clears up she can join Cosmo and I on morning walk in our local park which is nice and flat with a wide walking path. 

It looks like you got a great deal on the scooter for your Mom, @Scarlett45 - sorry to do a laughing emoji at your post about buying it. I was laughing at your last sentence about drawing the line at letting her hoard food in your freezer! I love how you are thinking of her and planning ahead for her to have a good time in Vegas. You are both lucky to have each other. I know how hard it is to see your Mom losing mobility. Hugs! 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

It looks like you got a great deal on the scooter for your Mom, @Scarlett45 - sorry to do a laughing emoji at your post about buying it. I was laughing at your last sentence about drawing the line at letting her hoard food in your freezer! I love how you are thinking of her and planning ahead for her to have a good time in Vegas. You are both lucky to have each other. I know how hard it is to see your Mom losing mobility. Hugs! 

This woman buys food like it’s going out of style. I know this stems from her Mommy guilt over my sister and “tomato sauce gate 1997”*(story below); but I’m not responsible for her issues. What she does in her kitchen is HER BUSINESS, but my freezer is off limits. I do let her store some ice cream bars and shrimp in there so my sister doesn’t eat them all at once, but if she had her way I’d have no room because it would be filled with all of my sisters favorite things😒.

A few years ago she over bought things at Costco and was legit going to put them in my freezer and I told my friend who was staying with me “do not let those steaks enter my freezer!” My mom STOMPED HER CANE at me (she DID) and said “throw the shit out since you refuse to help me!” And I said “yes ma’am I will throw it out.” I had the meat box IN MY HAND walking to the alley and she yelled at me to come back and she would leave it in her fridge. 

This woman and her SHOPPING and clutter drives me bonkers. But yes- we are lucky to have each other. I just have to be FIRM with her about certain things. The older she gets the more she reminds me of my grandfather, I admit she’s way nicer to me than he was to her (he gave her hell- black men do NOT do well when they become disabled, and after he lost his vision he became depressed and agoraphobic), but she’s so much more moody and emotional, also she worries more. We have a wedding Sunday July 2nd and she is concerned about leaving on time “calm down we are just going to Indiana!”

I understand this is just a part of aging and I do try to be patient, but I have my limits.

*Picture it, 1997, I’m 12 my sister is 9, and one random evening my sister wanted spaghetti (as usual it’s her favorite) and there was no tomato sauce. My sister had a major tantrum, destroyed the kitchen looking for tomato sauce and my mom broke down crying “you’ll never have to go through this again! NEVER!” My grandfather (who was blind) asked me what all the noise was about, and I said “P wants tomato sauce, we are out.” While my Mom and sister were having their emotional moment I was standing there annoyed because 1. I knew I was the one who was going to have to clean up this mess, 2. My sister was always allowed to get away with everything. After they were both done with their emotional meltdown, my Mom went to get tomato sauce and I was tasked with the clean up. 

• Hugs 16
  • Sad 1