Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 5/16/2023 at 8:05 AM, Quof said:

It takes some practice, but once you get down to carry-on only, you'll never go back.  I've done 2 week trips with carry-on only, with a quick trip to a laundromat if necessary (I've met interesting people from all over the world in laundromats in Paris, London, Rome, and it's really only an hour out of my trip, so well worth the minor inconvenience).  I use trains between European cities, and having a carry-on size suitcase makes it so much easier, and also makes one less vulnerable to the scum who prey on tourists by offering to "help" with their luggage.  

I’m a pretty efficient packer- I don’t find carry on only to be a problem clothing wise, but making my toiletries stretch is a challenge if it’s more than 3 nights. 

• Like 4

Nah, you can do it!  I manage a full hair and skin care regime, plus makeup, for 2 weeks, with carry on restrictions.  The secret is to decant everything you can into smaller containers, not the original packaging.  You really use much less than you think.  Don't believe me?  Decant every single product you use into a tiny container so they all fit into the allowed ziplock bag. Then use only those products at home. You'll be shocked how long it lasts.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
39 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yeah, we get a t-storm maybe once every 3 years. 😀

I don't remember t-storms even that often in the central valley CA.  I used to love sleeping on my aunt's screen porch during thunder storms in Iowa.  I thought that was the best thing ever.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I don't remember t-storms even that often in the central valley CA.  I used to love sleeping on my aunt's screen porch during thunder storms in Iowa.  I thought that was the best thing ever.

We had a t-storm in February or March, during the atmospheric river mess. It's so rare that we got a warning for it. 

I guessed 3 years. Before this winter, I don't remember the last time we had one. Could be closer to 5 years. 😀

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2

Fortunately my travel went generally as planned. A congenial person was in the next seat on the plane trip over, which was fun. My trip into central London on the Tube was a mess. The rolling stock on the Piccadilly line is about 50 years old. The train I boarded at Heathrow conked out at Acton Town. We had to take the next one along from there. It was crowded and I had to stand while corralling my bags so they wouldn't roll.

But, people were so kind and helpful along the way. Truly. I was a bit frazzled but got safely to my hotel. Today I am on the train to Edinburgh so I have time to browse and post. Not too much jet lag. Looking forward to Edinburgh!

• Like 23
On 5/16/2023 at 10:32 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Do many of you get thunderstorms almost every day?  We sure do get more than our share.  And, it’s not even summer yet.  

We lived in Baton Rouge, LA for many years and yes we got them almost every day spring through fall.  When we moved there I was shocked by them, never having experienced anything like it anywhere before.  Then got used to it never giving them a second thought.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

We lived in Baton Rouge, LA for many years and yes we got them almost every day spring through fall.  When we moved there I was shocked by them, never having experienced anything like it anywhere before.  Then got used to it never giving them a second thought.

What is so disconcerting are the constant severe thunderstorm warnings  and tornado watches. Alerts go to my phone. The lights flicker or go out, internet goes out, lightening hits houses and sets them on fire, roads flood, etc.    It’s just a lot to have happen several days a week.  I’m grateful for the rain, it just seems to be getting  a lot more frequent.  

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 4
24 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What is so disconcerting are the constant severe thunderstorm warnings  and tornado watches. Alerts go to my phone. The lights flicker or go out, internet goes out, lightening hits houses and sets them on fire, roads flood, etc.    It’s just a lot to have happen several days a week.  I’m grateful for the rain, it just seems to be getting  a lot more frequent.  

I understand.  Lived like this for over 40 years.  If we stayed in BR (now in metro Atlanta) I told Mr lookeyloo I wanted a whole house generator because the power goes out that often and sometimes for a long time.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Bringing my reply to @zoomama from the media thread-

I’m very familiar with the term “sun down town”. There are certain Chicago suburbs my mom is still uncomfortable visiting (even though she’s been invited and personally knows the inhabitants) because they were sundown towns when she was growing up. 

One of the reasons I am leery of road trips. Traveling as a black woman alone I personally feel safer flying than possibly stopping in a town I am not familiar with. Of course there’s nothing wrong with ANYONE enjoying road trips- it’s a personal thing of mine. 

I went down a rabbit hole as I was unfamiliar with the term. Although sundown towns can be found in any state, they were evidently highly prevalent in the Midwest - especially Illinois, including the suburb where I grew up (Naperville). 

• Sad 5
2 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I went down a rabbit hole as I was unfamiliar with the term. Although sundown towns can be found in any state, they were evidently highly prevalent in the Midwest - especially Illinois, including the suburb where I grew up (Naperville). 

Yup. Oak Lawn was also a sundown town. 

• Sad 4
39 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

Oaklawn as in Evergreen Plaza area? Never had any problems there.

Yes west of Evergreen Plaza.  It hasn’t been in my lifetime but my Mom definitely remembers a time you didn’t set foot in Oak Lawn if you could help it.

Ah the plaza! I remember my great aunt used to love to take us to Evergreen Plaza as a kid. There’s a Whole Foods there now, it’s really coming back. 

Funny story- I ran into a Starbucks barista I loved who hadn’t seen since the pandemic when I was visiting family, she was so excited to see me, the Starbucks she worked at closed downtown and they were able to place her at one close to her home. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ditching the mundane cleaning chores can be such a release and relief.  You have plenty on your plate as it is.

I’ll clean my own house (although every time I go away the floors get so filthy with Cosmo’s hair) but I have no desire to clean my Mom’s. I have legit been so busy the last few weeks I am looking forward to doing NOTHING for the month of June. Nothing. Well Cosmo is going to the groomer and I have a haircut scheduled, that’s it! I guess we both have hair cuts!

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
(edited)

You could potentially become a half to full-time housekeeper with three places to maintain.  Ditching as much work as possible that doesn't need you is a positive. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 6

@Scarlett45, Have you considered getting yourself a Roomba vacuum?  You can set a schedule and it will clean while you are at work.   Mine does a great job on cat hair and the reviews are good on dog hair.  Mine empties itself as well, so it is low maintenance.  You can get one that mops, also.  It is kind of fun to watch it work, and my cats don't mind it at all--but they don't ride on it.  Flora will stretch out on the floor and try to snag it as it goes by.  It does eat cat toys, so I have to make sure they are picked up, but otherwise it just does its job.  It is nice to always have a clean floor and clean rugs.  Good luck with the new job.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

@Scarlett45, Have you considered getting yourself a Roomba vacuum?  You can set a schedule and it will clean while you are at work.   Mine does a great job on cat hair and the reviews are good on dog hair.  Mine empties itself as well, so it is low maintenance.  You can get one that mops, also.  It is kind of fun to watch it work, and my cats don't mind it at all--but they don't ride on it.  Flora will stretch out on the floor and try to snag it as it goes by.  It does eat cat toys, so I have to make sure they are picked up, but otherwise it just does its job.  It is nice to always have a clean floor and clean rugs.  Good luck with the new job.

I have considered it- truthfully I’ve been spending a bit of money on other fun things, and I like to mop with vinegar and water as well. 

One of my Mom’s friends said she didn’t like hers because she has too much furniture, I don’t have a lot of furniture so it might work well for me. Those six months it was just me and Blake (June 2020-Jan 2021) my house had never been so clean! Likely because I only had one tiny furry love bug and I was WFH full time. 

• Like 4

So I got this cute birdhouse for Mother's Day and put it on a 2 pronged shepherd's hook out back. Sparrows moved in straight away! But, I was afraid all of their activity was discouraging the hummingbirds on my feeder on the other side. So I moved that one to the front porch. Today my neighbor's (who shares the porch) "kids" (in their 60s like me!) came and put out her 2 hummingbird feeders. Well, that's just ridiculous, so I moved mine back to the back. Usually it's non-stop hummingbird activity and it's been so slow so far. Plus, I'm concerned that my husband won't remember to refill it while I'm gone. Did I mention that I'm going to WI to hang with the grandkids for a few weeks? I'm leaving Sunday. I hope he waters my houseplants too and remembers to turn on/off the grow light. I'll nag him. I'm good at that, lol!

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have considered it- truthfully I’ve been spending a bit of money on other fun things, and I like to mop with vinegar and water as well. 

One of my Mom’s friends said she didn’t like hers because she has too much furniture, I don’t have a lot of furniture so it might work well for me. Those six months it was just me and Blake (June 2020-Jan 2021) my house had never been so clean! Likely because I only had one tiny furry love bug and I was WFH full time. 

My Roomba doesn't mop, but it sure  is easier to mop after the Roomba does the vacuuming.  Even the less expensive models that you empty yourself are a great time saver.  I love that it not only cleans  under the bed and the couch, but it pushes all the cat toys out, too.  I am always amazed at how many toys the Roomba finds. 

Edited by CalicoKitty
missing letter
  • Like 8
15 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

My Roomba doesn't mop, but it sure  is easier to mop after the Roomba does the vacuuming.  Even the less expensive models that you empty yourself are a great time saver.  I love that it not only cleans  under the bed and the couch, but it pushes all the cat toys out, too.  I am always amazed at how may toys the Roomba finds. 

Would the Roomba work with low - pile carpet?

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes west of Evergreen Plaza.  It hasn’t been in my lifetime but my Mom definitely remembers a time you didn’t set foot in Oak Lawn if you could help it.

Ah the plaza! I remember my great aunt used to love to take us to Evergreen Plaza as a kid. There’s a Whole Foods there now, it’s really coming back. 

Funny story- I ran into a Starbucks barista I loved who hadn’t seen since the pandemic when I was visiting family, she was so excited to see me, the Starbucks she worked at closed downtown and they were able to place her at one close to her home. 

Well you know Chicago. go through the viaduct and often a whole change of neighborhood. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would love a Roomba...I hate vacuuming, but we have two cats and a dog, and sometimes it feels as though the whole house is probably tied together with pet fur. It's never going to be free of fluff, but if I manage to run a vacuum cleaner over it once a week, that's pretty good for me. I just don't have it in me to vacuum every day, or every couple of days. But we do also have a lot of furniture. Looking at the living room, where I'm sitting, I figure that between the love seats, the armchairs, the coffee/side tables, the plant stands, and the other couple of occasional cabinets, there are easily more than 30 legs to weave around. The dining room is even worse. The library has four armchairs, a desk/office chair, a coffee table, plant stand and standing lamp. I think a Roomba would get dizzy trying to navigate it all...

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Would the Roomba work with low - pile carpet?

Yes.  I had low-pile carpet at my old house.  I have a large navy blue wool area rug now, and it works great.  It also does a good job on throw rugs and bare floor.  I don't know how it would do on a shag carpet, but I have had great luck with everything else.  I bought rugs for my bathroom that are very low pile "rug by the foot" where you can have them make any length rug you need, and it vacuums them very nicely.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I would love a Roomba...I hate vacuuming, but we have two cats and a dog, and sometimes it feels as though the whole house is probably tied together with pet fur. It's never going to be free of fluff, but if I manage to run a vacuum cleaner over it once a week, that's pretty good for me. I just don't have it in me to vacuum every day, or every couple of days. But we do also have a lot of furniture. Looking at the living room, where I'm sitting, I figure that between the love seats, the armchairs, the coffee/side tables, the plant stands, and the other couple of occasional cabinets, there are easily more than 30 legs to weave around. The dining room is even worse. The library has four armchairs, a desk/office chair, a coffee table, plant stand and standing lamp. I think a Roomba would get dizzy trying to navigate it all...

That's what the Roomba is designed to do.  Mine has no trouble navigating around furniture.  It gets stuck trying to get under the recliner sometimes, but it eventually learns where it can't go.  It maps the house, and after three or four cleanings it knows where to go.  The little side brushes do a pretty good job of cleaning close to the walls, too. (Can you tell I really like mine??)

• Like 9

I have wanted one but never could find anything specific about carpet. All the ads I see show floors without carpet. I live in an apartment and they just have cheap builder grade carpet. I may get one if I can save enough money. 

• Like 1
Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

I have wanted one but never could find anything specific about carpet. All the ads I see show floors without carpet. I live in an apartment and they just have cheap builder grade carpet. I may get one if I can save enough money. 

I had wall to wall carpet for a long time, and the Roomba did a great job. Costco sometimes has good prices.  Also check Amazon.  I have purchased a Roomba as an "open box" from Amazon, and it was brand new.  Just the box was torn.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I had a Roomba years ago and I really liked it and used it until it died Now I have a less expensive, dumber version. It still does a good job. It doesn't remember tricky areas and sometimes gets hung up in stupid places or can't find its way back to its base. We mostly have vinyl plank flooring with area rugs. I like that it gets under furniture and the bed, so dust bunnies don't collect there!

• Like 4

One thing about a roomba, if you have a pet that has indoor accidents, especially of the poop variety, things can get pretty gnarly if you don't catch the accident before the roomba does. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, peppergal said:

One thing about a roomba, if you have a pet that has indoor accidents, especially of the poop variety, things can get pretty gnarly if you don't catch the accident before the roomba does. 

I just have a parrokeet.  Although I read a post about a man who found this out the hard way..at 2 am. Funniest thing I have read in years. I have no idea where I found it.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, peppergal said:

Don’t you normally start the roomba or does it know to clean the floors on its own?(I know nothing about this, but I have a free one coming next week!)

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Don’t you normally start the roomba or does it know to clean the floors on its own?(I know nothing about this, but I have a free one coming next week!)

The fancier versions have timers or you can start them with your smart phone or alexa.  I have one, it's not a Roomba, but a cheaper version,  During doggie shedding season, it keeps the first floor livable and rarely gets stuck or misses stuff.  I don't usually run it every day, a couple times a week seems enough, but maybe others have higher standards-my mom was a terrible housekeeper and so I tend not to be as picky as other people I know.

The first floor of my house has a variety of flooring from ceramic tile to wood to area rugs as well as door jambs to traverse and my Roomba seems to handle it all.  It is supposed to go back and recharge when it is done and it does seem to miss the charger quite often, so I've gotten trained to check it when I get home to make sure it is in place.

I highly recommend it, even as someone who has professionals come in an clean every couple of weeks.

• Like 5

Most Roombas can be started by your phone, by pushing the button on top by hand, or by setting up a schedule and it will run on its own.  I think you can set it up to control by voice via Amazon Alexa, but I just have mine set up on a schedule.  Monday and Thursday mornings at 9:00 it starts cleaning on its own.  I can make it stop and go back to its charging station through the app on my phone if I want it to stop before it is done.  I can always tell it to clean at  extra times as well.  It can be pretty self sufficient.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I just have a parrokeet.  Although I read a post about a man who found this out the hard way..at 2 am. Funniest thing I have read in years. I have no idea where I found it.

Yeah once or twice a year someone on our beagle rescue alumni group posts about their older roomba having a run in with either poop or vomit during it's scheduled rounds when they aren't home.  The outcome was so common that iRobot did release an updated roomba version about 2 years ago that attempts to detect and avoid the poop. 

Prior to that, this is what commonly happened: 

The worst part people reported was cleaning the innards of the roomba since it would get all in the brushes.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

This has been a horrible weekend. 2 weeks ago my daughter asked me to take guardianship of my grandson, 12, because she could not control his behavior. He has ASD, ADHD, ODD, PTSD, and developmental delays. Last week she was taling about what toys to take this weekend and what to keep.

I arrived Friday and she told me it was only for the summer, then Saturday her new boyfriend whom she met online showed up and starting lecturing my grandson for 20 minutes for not answering my phone when my daughter called. I objected when he started in on 'all I've done for you' since he's been around less that two weeks and he stormed out of the house. My daughter took him home and texted me that they decided it would be too disruptive for my grandson to stay with me.

Her plan was for me to stay the night and leave in the morning before the kids woke up, so they didn't get upset. Instead, when she got back I told the kids that mom and the boyfriend decided not to let grandson come home with me, so I was going to go ahead and leave. Both kids started crying and grandson was begging me to not leave him there.

Things were bad. Especially at the end when I pointed out the the last 4 boyfriends had beat her kids and asked when this one would start abusing them. Cheap shot, but my granddaughter had just told me he yells at my grandson and calls him names. I reminded both kids to tell their teachers if he hits them and to remember no matter what anyone says, I love them and want them very much. And when I left both kids were running after my car crying and screaming.

I cried most of the 3 hour trip home and have been having 2 minute panic attacks, where my heart races and I can't catch my breath, since 4 am this morning. 

• Hugs 23
  • Sad 10
(edited)

@Nysha How seeing and hearing the children beg for you to take them and running after your car must have hurt your heart. I’m so sorry you were put in this uncomfortable situation. I’m glad you reminded the children that they can report any abuse to their teacher. He sounds a bit…unsavory. I hope he leaves their lives soon and their mother changes her focus to the well being of your grandchildren rather than her love life. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Love life not live life.
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Oh @Nysha! Those poor kids. You are a good grandma and you're doing your best under awful circumstances. I'm so very sorry your grandkids are going through this and that your heart is hurting for them. 🫂

• Like 9
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2023 at 1:09 PM, Meow Mix said:

I've been on a number of cruises, but never Carnival and this is why.  But even cruising on better lines, there is always the chance you are going to run into someone who gets obnoxious drunk and makes a scene.  I remember one cruise where they finally put a woman off the ship in San Juan because she was harassing other passengers and even performers.  

Looking at the picture, it's clear that whoever this couple is, they don't subscribe to the Gothard modesty rules.  I did laugh at Elijah describing the cruise as crazy.  I doubt he realizes how crazy people outside his little group got.

We’ve had several great carnival cruises. Most recently over Christmas/new years. We’re not big party people. It was totally fun and not trashy, crazy, or terrible. 

• Like 6

I’m living with my youngest daughter now. I’m semi retired. 👵 

Two of my daughters gave me a television for Mother’s Day. Mine was not a “smart” tv, this one is. One of my grandsons set it up for me that day, added all the APPS or whatever it is one does.

So, today I went in my room to watch it for the first time. I couldn’t find a volume button. I had to get the instructions out, can you imagine? So, I have determined my old tv wasn’t smart, and neither am I! 🤦‍♀️ The volume control is on the side of the remote, just like the phone I use every freaking day.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 10
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

It really creeps my out to see people walking barefoot in a hospital.  Aside from things you can't see but can step on, like syringe caps,  the floors are covered in stuff you don't really want to know about.  Yes, floors get mopped, and things get wiped up, but stuff I've seen on hospital floors is not stuff I would want to walk in.  

7 hours ago, louannems said:

. . . I spent 33 years working in a hospital. Yes, every evening all the floors were scrubbed with strong cleaners, but you would be shocked at what can drip, ooze, and spray off of patients being pushed around in wheelchairs and gurneys.

Bringing this over from one of the other topics. I'm no germaphobe but the idea of being barefoot in a hospital squicks me out too. Also, I'm traveling and staying in hotels. I'm wearing my flip-flops a lot in my hotel rooms and just trying not to think about the germs too much, lol. 

The posts by @CalicoKitty and @louannems, speaking from their experience working in hospitals, reminded me of a conversation I had last year with my cuz who's a firefighter and EMT (I recently realized he now has more than 20 years on the job - how time flies, he's the next gen down from me and I remember him as a baby!).

I mentioned that people buy used ambulances and convert them into campers, which I thought was cool. His instant reaction was - revulsion. He said that knowing all the nasty stuff that the inside of those ambulances see while in service, no WAY he'd want anything to do with owning a used one. Now when I see YT videos about people converting ambulances into campers, that conversation is always top of mind. I suppose if you ripped everything inside pretty much down to the shell and started over, you'd be okay. 

• Like 4

Oh my……I consider myself normal, but more than one person has called me a germaphobe. Lol. I’m just careful with wiping things and washing my hands.  It’s not compulsive, though. I’ll just say that I didn’t have to step up my hygiene much when covid hit. 

I’d be ok with an old ambulance, as long as it was disinfected.  I find those vehicle makeovers where they convert the vehicle into a living space fascinating. I guess repurposing is good.  I’m not sure about the fuel emissions on some of the older buses, though. 

• Like 5

When Sweet Son was in the hospital those times they gave him the socks with the grippers and told him to wear those when he got out of bed. Even to walk in the halls.  So as to avoid slipping and falling. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 6