Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

To be honest, while the prismacolors are definitely a cut above when it comes to the pigment, the smoothness, blendability, etc, most colored pencils will do the job if you just sort of want to doodle. The first time I tried using them to do an actual drawing, all I had was my kids' Crayolas (this was QUITE some time ago), and I produced this drawing of an egret. I don't use this medium all that often there days, and when I do it's mostly portrait work. The second drawing here is still quite a work in progress (ignore the hands...I'm still struggling with those), of my granddaughter, done with prismacolors.PXL_20230804_145050278_exported_614_1691160705895.thumb.jpg.3fb7c4a9edd8786dbb78a4d77fbbe6be.jpgPXL_20230804_140457508_exported_1046_1691159324950.thumb.jpg.7a8baaba4f4183a04b759934c86e2abe.jpg

Oh my goodness I didn’t know you were so talented! Please share more of your work if you care to. 

I think your hands look great. 

• Like 8

All of the artwork posted by members here is outstanding!  My goodness, I can barely imagine having that kind of talent.  My dad does, but he no longer draws or paints.  I’m not sure why.  

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thank you! Yes, I will sometimes do commissions, but in my experience, most people who comment that they would like me to do a painting seem to say it just to make conversation, as very few ever mention it again. This is probably about the last commission I did, and that was over 15 years ago. Also colored pencil work.

10363849_10152999691212778_8588075796933027219_n.jpg

You are very talented!  You capture a lot of personality.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I like to color, too, and have multiple coloring books and various markers and pencils that I use.  I just pick up whatever I'm feeling at the moment.  Coloring is a better waste of time that most other things.  

For anyone like me who is not terribly artistically blessed and also lazy, there is a phone app called Happy Color.  It's free to download and it lets you use your touch screen to color in paint by numbers style.  It's a fun timewaster, IMO; great when waiting in line or otherwise bored.  I decided to wean myself from Facebook for the most part before the last election and I've found that coloring stuff on my phone is far more relaxing for me.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

going in a totally different direction ---- looking for moral support. having a shoulder replacement later this month. i am REALLY scared about this as i cant take most reasonable pain meds due to allergies and being on blood thinners. i know they will find a way to help me out but in general my options are (per my surgeon) to either 1) hurt and use tylenol or 2) use heavier meds and take lots of benedryl to control the hives and itching. also, if you dont already know this, its an outpatient procedure! like so many surgeries now, they do it and send you home an hour later. bone pain is no joke --i know this already.  waw waw waw...i sound like such a baby. thoughts, experiences, etc?

• Hugs 19

Have they discussed the possibility of a nerve block?  That's what I had for a recent surgery.  They do one for the surgery and then replace it with a controlled drip that goes home with you.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, zoomama said:

going in a totally different direction ---- looking for moral support. having a shoulder replacement later this month. i am REALLY scared about this as i cant take most reasonable pain meds due to allergies and being on blood thinners. i know they will find a way to help me out but in general my options are (per my surgeon) to either 1) hurt and use tylenol or 2) use heavier meds and take lots of benedryl to control the hives and itching. also, if you dont already know this, its 5an outpatient procedure! like so many surgeries now, they do it and send you home an hour later. bone pain is no joke --i know this already.  waw waw waw...i sound like such a baby. thoughts, experiences, etc?

Ask for a pre-op anesthesia consult.  They can perhaps do a nerve block, non-narcotic, that will help control the pain at least initially.  There are anesthesiologists who have additional training in pain management and anyone who has unusual situations like yours should consider seeing them pre-op to see what options are available.  Don't assume your surgeon knows much about post-op pain management other than the basics.

Also, even if you cannot take some narcotics, most people are not allergic to all of them.  For example, I get hives from Percocet but have no problem with Tylenol #3.  If you're not sure, consult an allergist who can do testing to see if there is something that won't be a problem for you,

I don't know about shoulders, but I had a knee replaced and it was painful!  Aside from oral pain meds, it helped a lot to use ice packs, not the teeny tiny ones from the drug store, but big one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ice+pack+for+shoulder&crid=1IIJTB15HW2P5&sprefix=ice+pack+for+sh%2Caps%2C125&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_15

Buy a couple, have them waiting in the freezer when you get home, and alternate them.  I pretty much kept ice on my knee 20+ hours a day for the first couple weeks.

• Like 11
  • Useful 5

Sometimes if you take ibuprofen on schedule, starting prior to when the anesthesia wears off, you can stay ahead of the fierce pain. Then like others are saying treat with ice and/or heat, whatever the MDs are recommending.

And just an FYI, one of my kids is (very) allergic to morphine but not Percocet. Also I can't tolerate narcotic pain meds well, so I'm usually prescribed half doses.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

going in a totally different direction ---- looking for moral support. having a shoulder replacement later this month. i am REALLY scared about this as i cant take most reasonable pain meds due to allergies and being on blood thinners. i know they will find a way to help me out but in general my options are (per my surgeon) to either 1) hurt and use tylenol or 2) use heavier meds and take lots of benedryl to control the hives and itching. also, if you dont already know this, its an outpatient procedure! like so many surgeries now, they do it and send you home an hour later. bone pain is no joke --i know this already.  waw waw waw...i sound like such a baby. thoughts, experiences, etc?

Sorry this is weighing on your mind.

Be sure to remind us closer to the date so we can beam over extra healing thoughts and prayers and virtual hugs.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

Oh @zoomama I feel for you. I've never had any joint replacement but my sister has had BOTH shoulders, both knees and both ankles. The replacements offered relief, but I do know she can handle heavy pain pills. She did come home with a nerve block. I think a consult with the anesthesiologist is a great idea. Keep us posted when it's closer; we'll send prayers.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Sometimes if you take ibuprofen on schedule, starting prior to when the anesthesia wears off, you can stay ahead of the fierce pain. Then like others are saying treat with ice and/or heat, whatever the MDs are recommending.

And just an FYI, one of my kids is (very) allergic to morphine but not Percocet. Also I can't tolerate narcotic pain meds well, so I'm usually prescribed half doses.

This is recommended more and more these days.  If you cannot take ibuprofen because you're on blood thinners, then use acetominophen (tylenol) and plan on taking it regularly for the first couple days post op.  This has been shown to decrease the need for stronger pain meds.  With acetaminophen, there is a risk of liver toxicity, so follow the directions on the label carefully so you don't take too much; especially if you get a stronger pain med like percocet or tylenol#3 which also contain acetaminophen.  Set the timer on your phone to stay on track and take the med on time even if you aren't in a lot of pain when the dose is due.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I totally agree with @Notabug.  Ice will be your best friend, and those big ice packs work great.  I used them with my knee replacement (and the revision).  If your doctor happens to tell you to use moist heat, the brand Thermophore works very well, and is much less expensive than the Theratherm brand.  I have had a couple of shoulder surgeries to remove bone spurs, but not a replacement. It  was a strange feeling not being able to use one arm, but it was a good excuse to not have my hair combed and to only wear comfy clothing.  I wish you well with your pain meds.  On a positive note, I know a couple of people that have shoulder replacements, and they say that their shoulders are "good as new" afterwards.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2

See if your surgery center plans to send you home with one of those ice therapy machines.  My mom was given one for her knee even though she had made arrangements to borrow one from a friend.  You can also get them on Amazon and from medical supply stores.   One trick for those is instead of using normal ice, get about a dozen of those small 4 or 6oz kiddie sized water bottles and freeze those.  Then you can just swap out the ice bottles in the water instead of lifting the machine and emptying out melted ice to replace it a few times a day.  Just put the melted bottles back in the freezer for next time.

• Like 7
  • Useful 5

I went to a local coffee shop that is one of my favorite places. They have been around since the 70s and sell bulk coffee/tea/spices. I placed a bulk order and got a latte to go (they do themed drinks, this month everything is themed around Barbie) and I saw this tip jar and almost died laughing. 

IMG_9002.jpeg

• LOL 12

For any Agatha Christie fans:  I just re-watched (because it was so good) the British TV version of "And Then There Were None" on Hulu.  They credit is as "based on" Christie's book.  It is really done well, and the scenery is beautiful.  The character's background flashbacks were very well done.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

For any Agatha Christie fans:  I just re-watched (because it was so good) the British TV version of "And Then There Were None" on Hulu.  They credit is as "based on" Christie's book.  It is really done well, and the scenery is beautiful.  The character's background flashbacks were very well done.

Who's in that one? I am trying to figure out if I've watched it or not. LOL The one I saw had Charles Dance and Aidan Turner, and I did really like it. Admittedly it's been a while since I read the book, so any changes to the story didn't really register with me. 

Edited by Zella
37 minutes ago, Zella said:

Who's in that one? I am trying to figure out if I've watched it or not. LOL The one I saw had Charles Dance and Aidan Turner, and I did really like it. Admittedly it's been a while since I read the book, so any changes to the story didn't really register with me. 

Maeve Dermody, and Charles Dance. It is the UK Broadcast version from 2015. This is probably the same one.  I'm the same--I read the original so long ago that any changes did not bother me at all.  I think I will read the book again, however.  I really enjoyed this even more the second time I watched.  I picked up things I missed the first time around.  It is very complex.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Was that definitely on Hulu? I can't find it listed. Some old CSI episode comes up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Was that definitely on Hulu? I can't find it listed. Some old CSI episode comes up.

According to justwatch.com it is on Hoopla and AcornTV.

I own the dvd... I loved Aidan Turner on Being Human, never got into Poldark, but I never really got the sex appeal until I saw him in And Then There Were None... yum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

never got into Poldark,

You probably dodged a bullet there. It's one of the few shows in the past 10 years I actually watched as it aired, week by week, all seasons. And it is one of the most frustratingly uneven shows I've sat through. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

*small voice* I named our ginger kitty Demelza. 😃

I love that name! I actually own the books and really enjoyed the ones I read. It's mainly the later seasons that drove me crazy. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I can’t find this on Hulu. Does it have an alternate title?

6 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Same!

Never mind - I see it’s on Acorn. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I can’t find this on Hulu. Does it have an alternate title?

Same!

Never mind - I see it’s on Acorn. 

How strange.  It came up on a search on Hulu for me the first time.  I just asked Alexa to find it the second time (I stream using a Fire Cube).  Anyway, glad you found it and I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 2
On 8/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, Absolom said:

Have they discussed the possibility of a nerve block?  That's what I had for a recent surgery. 

yes. anesthesia dr says i am not a good candidate for one due to lung disease and how the nerve block slows the diaphragm function, thus the breathing. i am to talk to my pulmonologist this week and see his opinion as to if i can withstand that possibility and if so, i will get one.  i know it will all be fine, i am just getting scared ahead of time.

• Hugs 14

I must say I didn't notice any affect on my breathing at all.  It was quite nice as I had maybe five minutes of some not bad pain as we adjusted the level going from the surgical block to the drip block.  There was a doctor on the phone with me as we went up number by number.  

Being concerned ahead of time is quite understandable.  It can be miserable after surgery if you don't have good pain control.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 8/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

*small voice* I named our ginger kitty Demelza. 😃

I've always thought that was a perfect name for a kitty.

I was a fan of the original Poldark, and the only Ross Poldark for me will always be Robin Ellis.  I'll aways remember the first season when it followed the last season of Upstairs/Downstairs.  I believe it was 26 straight weeks of must-see TV in those non-VCR days, although my PBS station had 3-4 repeats during the week.  It wasn't interrupted with pledge drives either!

Some years back I got my hands on the original series, but except for the first episode, a few key scenes, I just couldn't go through the storyline rigmarole again.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 8/6/2023 at 9:22 AM, Zella said:

You probably dodged a bullet there. It's one of the few shows in the past 10 years I actually watched as it aired, week by week, all seasons. And it is one of the most frustratingly uneven shows I've sat through. 

I loved the original from about 30 years ago.  I hated the new one.  I stopped watching after the first episode.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, zoomama said:

going in a totally different direction ---- looking for moral support. having a shoulder replacement later this month. i am REALLY scared about this as i cant take most reasonable pain meds due to allergies and being on blood thinners. 

On 8/5/2023 at 6:46 PM, peppergal said:

See if your surgery center plans to send you home with one of those ice therapy machines.  My mom was given one for her knee even though she had made arrangements to borrow one from a friend.  You can also get them on Amazon and from medical supply stores.   One trick for those is instead of using normal ice, get about a dozen of those small 4 or 6oz kiddie sized water bottles and freeze those.  Then you can just swap out the ice bottles in the water instead of lifting the machine and emptying out melted ice to replace it a few times a day.  Just put the melted bottles back in the freezer for next time.

I agree with this recommendation. I've had surgery on both knees and used one of those circulators both times. They are really good. (Like this.)

• Like 3
On 8/6/2023 at 5:22 PM, Zella said:

16 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I was a fan of the original Poldark, and the only Ross Poldark for me will always be Robin Ellis.  I'll aways remember the first season when it followed the last season of Upstairs/Downstairs.  I believe it was 26 straight weeks of must-see TV in those non-VCR days, although my PBS station had 3-4 repeats during the week.  It wasn't interrupted with pledge drives either!

13 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I loved the original from about 30 years ago.  I hated the new one.  I stopped watching after the first episode.

Having watched the 70s Poldark adaptation and then read all the books, I was really excited when the new adaptation was announced...and then increasingly disappointed with it, until I had to stop watching. What annoyed me most was that the new one kept advertising itself as being more 'faithful to the books' than the older version - except that it wasn't any more faithful to the books at all, it made just as many changes, to the detriment of both the characters and the story. Then when it reached the break point in the books (there is a 10 year time skip with the action then moving to the next generation) it decided to just make up its own storylines for the later seasons - badly! I was glad I was no longer watching at that point.

I would like to see a well made adaptation some day that actually is faithful to the books and doesn't attempt to smush two good-sized novels into a single season of TV, galloping to the finish line and then realising the material has run out before they were ready.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I've always thought that was a perfect name for a kitty.

Some years back I got my hands on the original series, but except for the first episode, a few key scenes, I just couldn't go through the storyline rigmarole again.

I'm still devoted to the Robin Ellis version as well. I was about college age when it came out, and my best friend and I were obsessed with it. That, and Arthurian legends, and a British Opera Singer named Benjamin Luxon, who also lived in that neck of the woods. Given that I had grown up in an area of England not too far removed from Cornwall and still had family friends and relatives around Bristol, Bath,and Devon, we were able to put together an only slightly creepy "searching for Merlin, Robin and Ben" vacation. We had a wonderful time despite never happening upon the objects of our search. Though, admittedly, local tourist shops were bursting at the seams with Arthurian and Poldark themed tchotchkes. 

I did try to watch the newest iteration of Poldark, but it did nothing for me.

At my parents' house, is  whole set of VHS tapes of the original Poldark. We tried watching them at some point - probably about six or seven years ago, but the tapes had deteriorated so badly that some episodes were barely watchable, and others not watchable at all. I have not had the heart to throw them out to this day.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Okay, Small Talkers - it's all your fault!! I'm taking a page from the playbook of a certain sort-of-royal couple in California and casting blame on others with abandon - like sprinkles in a cupcake bakery kitchen.

I've never read, or watched, Poldark. But this conversation reminded me how much I enjoyed the original Upstairs, Downstairs, which was must-see-TV in the old days (1971-75) before VCRs. Not long ago some of the episodes were being uploaded to YT and I watched them. To my surprise I still enjoyed them very much. I believe the uploader thought it was legal to do so but I don't think the episodes are still there so maybe that was wrong or the channel got shut down for other reasons. 

So it's all your fault that - because our public library only had one season of the show on DVDs - I've just now spent a whole twenty bucks on ebay to buy the boxed set of all five seasons DVDs. 🤣  None of my streaming services have it available, it's only available on Amazon Prime video via Britbox which I don't have (used to have it, didn't watch it enough). There was a later revival of the show that's readily available on streaming, but I didn't care for it that much.

BTW @Jynnan tonnix, you could probably get the original Poldark series on DVDs. Your public library might have them so you could check them out and watch for free. 

• Like 11
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Okay, Small Talkers - it's all your fault!! I'm taking a page from the playbook of a certain sort-of-royal couple in California and casting blame on others with abandon - like sprinkles in a cupcake bakery kitchen.

I've never read, or watched, Poldark. But this conversation reminded me how much I enjoyed the original Upstairs, Downstairs, which was must-see-TV in the old days (1971-75) before VCRs. Not long ago some of the episodes were being uploaded to YT and I watched them. To my surprise I still enjoyed them very much. I believe the uploader thought it was legal to do so but I don't think the episodes are still there so maybe that was wrong or the channel got shut down for other reasons. 

So it's all your fault that - because our public library only had one season of the show on DVDs - I've just now spent a whole twenty bucks on ebay to buy the boxed set of all five seasons DVDs. 🤣  None of my streaming services have it available, it's only available on Amazon Prime video via Britbox which I don't have (used to have it, didn't watch it enough). There was a later revival of the show that's readily available on streaming, but I didn't care for it that much.

BTW @Jynnan tonnix, you could probably get the original Poldark series on DVDs. Your public library might have them so you could check them out and watch for free. 

I loved the original Upstairs Downstairs, too.  People knew not to call me Sunday nights when it was on. I just saw Pauline Collins in an Agatha Christie program--I think it was "Sparkling Cyanide".  

The Upstairs Downstairs "next generation" was unwatchable.  

• Like 6

This discussion reminds me of my mom. She was a huge Agatha Christie fan and likely read every book. I read a couple of her books at a young age because they were all over the house. Imagine my surprise when I asked my mom which A-gatha book I should read next. Yup, I was shocked to learn the correct pronunciation and it took me a bit to remember it was Ag-atha. 🤣😬

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
37 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

This discussion reminds me of my favorite PBS show, The Forsyth Saga. Loved the books, the original and the remake series. I may have to go search and see if it’s on Prime or not.

Oh I loved the newer version of The Forsyte Saga! I didn't realize how awful Damian Lewis was in that show and was rather deeply shaken to see him be so off-putting after being introduced to him in Band of Brothers, though he was very good at it. It prepared me emotionally for Wolf Hall several years later. 😆

I still haven't read the books or watched the older one. I occasionally check the books out from the library where I work but never have gotten around to reading them. (I do this a lot. LOL I see it as a duty to the books to ensure they have circulations. 😂

12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This discussion reminds be of my mom. She was a huge Agatha Christie fan and likely read every book. I read a couple of her books at a young age because they all over the house. Imagine my surprise when I asked my mom which A-gatha book I should read next. Yup, I was shocked to learn the correct pronunciation and it took me a bit to remember it was Ag-atha. 🤣😬

A rather young Zella believed lingerie to be pronounced ling-uh-reen-ee. 😂😂😂 Not sure where I picked up the extra consonant. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • LOL 10

We have a family joke about my sister not answering my mom because she was "engrawsed" in a book. What can I say? We're a family of readers and how we pronounce things in our heads isn't always correct! We're pretty good spellers, though. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
45 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I decided to look up when a show is coming back for season 2. It got canceled by HBO. I’m so upset. It was such a great show! Sigh. 

And it’s gone from HBO app. I can’t even rewatch it.

What show?

40 minutes ago, Zella said:

Oh I loved the newer version of The Forsyte Saga! I didn't realize how awful Damian Lewis was in that show and was rather deeply shaken to see him be so off-putting after being introduced to him in Band of Brothers, though he was very good at it. It prepared me emotionally for Wolf Hall several years later. 😆

I still haven't read the books or watched the older one. I occasionally check the books out from the library where I work but never have gotten around to reading them. (I do this a lot. LOL I see it as a duty to the books to ensure they have circulations. 😂

A rather young Zella believed lingerie to be pronounced ling-uh-reen-ee. 😂😂😂 Not sure where I picked up the extra consonant. 

Yes, Damian Lewis was awesome. Love Gina McKee too. The newer version is gorgeous as it’s in color. I’m old enough to have seen the original series back in the 60’s on PBS but it was in black and white.

Sometimes the way I pronounce a word in my head whilst reading means I don’t recognize the word when spoken, lol.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

We're a family of readers and how we pronounce things in our heads isn't always correct! We're pretty good spellers, though. 

I'm the same way. When I was in grad school, I mispronounced a word in front of my advisor and was mortified. And God bless him but he told me "Hey don't be embarrassed--you used it correctly. You just didn't know how to say it, and that tells me you learned it through reading. There's no shame in that." 

• Like 24
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm the same way. When I was in grad school, I mispronounced a word in front of my advisor and was mortified. And God bless him but he told me "Hey don't be embarrassed--you used it correctly. You just didn't know how to say it, and that tells me you learned it through reading. There's no shame in that." 

Jeopardy contestants do this often. 

• Like 7