Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Your son might be interested in the London Transport Museum.   https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/  I had wanted to visit in on my last trip, but it was temporarily closed for renovation.

I unexpectedly ended up there on my last trip to London! Their display of posters advertising public transit over the decades was an interesting slice of social history.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Your son might be interested in the London Transport Museum.   https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/  I had wanted to visit in on my last trip, but it was temporarily closed for renovation.

That looks terrific!  We love the one in Brooklyn. Definitely adding this to the to-do list!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m so glad things went well for you!  I had a good night last night, after adjusting my position.  I  immobilized my right wrist, so it wouldn’t bend and put it on pillow to keep it up. It didn’t hurt at all and I got a full night’s sleep!  It didn’t hurt at all yesterday.  I was careful how I used it, though.  I had documents to file online, so had to use my computer.  I still haven’t had any pins and needles though, just pain…..makes me wonder if it’s CTS.  

If you use the computer a lot, you might want to look at an ergonomic keyboard and mouse - there are plenty out there to choose from, designed to ease problems such as you are experiencing. If you go down that route, I would recommend, if possible, getting to a showroom of some kind where you can test the different styles and find the right one for you. (As a DSE assessor in work, I am often called on to procure ergonomic devices as necessary adjustments for staff with hand and wrist issues, and they all report back that it makes a big difference.)

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, Leeds said:

Talking about food, your best bet for lunch in anywhere you're travelling in the UK is sandwiches from somewhere on the high street like Boots, WH Smiths, M&S.  Just go to the fridge section, pick up some knickers while you're there and find a spot outside to sit.

What are knickers?

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

What are knickers?

Ladies underwear.  Sorry, stream of consciousness coming into play there.  Nothing to do with food and not as high quality as they used to be, but pairs of them have traveled around the world with me for decades. 

• LOL 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

Ladies underwear.  Sorry, stream of consciousness coming into play there.  Nothing to do with food and not as high quality as they used to be, but pairs of them have traveled around the world with me for decades. 

I thought knickers was some tasty snack in the fridge section!

Edited by oliviabenson
  • LOL 7

Mr. Google answers all and avoids the little snafus like that.  :)  I like that I can get photos of the various snack items.  

I watch a lot of British TV and I usually end up looking up at least one reference per episode.  

• Like 3
On 5/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, sagittarius sue said:

Another recommendation for someone looking for a museum that's a bit unusual is Sir John Soane's.  Accessible by The Tube and free to enter.  He was a little wacky, to say the least.  https://www.soane.org/

On 5/1/2023 at 11:15 AM, peppergal said:

Getting from the airport to the hotel by transit also wasn't bad, even for a sleep deprived single traveler coming off a red eye dragging luggage for two people (long story).  Took the Heathrow Express to Paddington and from there took two tube lines to get to the hotel.  

Nobody visiting London should take any kind of transport from the airport other than public.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m really going! I’m so excited. 

Im kind of playing this trip by ear. I have a meet up Friday, tea booked Sunday and that’s it. 

image.gif.ef9a1f80f2d101ba92c63903d2d70185.gif

I hope you have a fabulously fun trip!! 

• Like 11
(edited)

So @Scarlett45 is somewhere in the crowds in London for today's Coronation of King Charles III. I hope she's having a great day!

I've popped awake at 3:00 am my local time. I have the TV (muted) on BBC News (via Xfinity) and my laptop is streaming Sky News live. I'm enjoying Sky News because they have the very knowledgeable Alastair Bruce as commentator. And I'm recording the BBC News programming so no FOMO there.

I've found some helpful resources online to the events and a pdf or two for download, in case anyone might be interested.

BBC Coronation timeline with graphics: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65342840

Coronation Order of Service in full: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65503950?zephr-modal-register

View and download pdf of official Order of Service: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23801090-coronation-order-of-service

Short guide to the Coronation with suggested reading, on the Westminster Abbey website: https://www.westminster-abbey.org/media/7143/coronation-service-guide-reading-list.pdf

I'm a little nutz to be up this early. Should I have coffee yet? Decisions, decisions . . . 

Edited by Jeeves
Added stuff
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

So @Scarlett45 is somewhere in the crowds in London for today's Coronation of King Charles III. I hope she's having a great day!

I've popped awake at 3:00 am my local time. I have the TV (muted) on BBC News (via Xfinity) and my laptop is streaming Sky News live. I'm enjoying Sky News because they have the very knowledgeable Alastair Bruce as commentator. And I'm recording the BBC News programming so no FOMO there.

I've found some helpful resources online to the events and a pdf or two for download, in case anyone might be interested.

BBC Coronation timeline with graphics: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65342840

Coronation Order of Service in full: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65503950?zephr-modal-register

View and download pdf of official Order of Service: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23801090-coronation-order-of-service

Short guide to the Coronation with suggested reading, on the Westminster Abbey website: https://www.westminster-abbey.org/media/7143/coronation-service-guide-reading-list.pdf

I'm a little nutz to be up this early. Should I have coffee yet? Decisions, decisions . . . 

I’m trying to catch up now.  So exciting!  Man, I wish I could have attended.  

• Like 5
On 5/2/2023 at 7:45 PM, Leeds said:

Another recommendation for someone looking for a museum that's a bit unusual is Sir John Soane's.  Accessible by The Tube and free to enter.  He was a little wacky, to say the least.  https://www.soane.org/

Nobody visiting London should take any kind of transport from the airport other than public.

It always seems to take me most of any visit to England to get re-acquainted and comfortable with public transportation, then I always vow not to be so hesitant about it next time around. Then again, there is almost always someone there willing to pick me up from the airport. This last trip I had out there, back in September, i didn't actually have a ride, and had figured out my best route, but at the last minute, veered off and grabbed a mini-cab instead. It did cost me something like 60 pounds, but got me to my cousin's (in Thames Ditton) in less than half an hour, which, after a red-eye flight, seemed well worth the money.

• Like 8

Today is an incredibly beautiful spring day in Chicagoland. I'm going to see a group of women friends outdoors to catch up on things. I've had a lot of family stuff going on (not bad stuff, just changes) and I'm going out of town soon for a month, so it's good to catch up with my women friends! I'm going to be staying with my daughter up north and watching the kids while she's on jury duty. I hope she never gets picked, so we can all just hang out and enjoy the weather! 

• Like 14
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Today is an incredibly beautiful spring day in Chicagoland. I'm going to see a group of women friends outdoors to catch up on things. I've had a lot of family stuff going on (not bad stuff, just changes) and I'm going out of town soon for a month, so it's good to catch up with my women friends! I'm going to be staying with my daughter up north and watching the kids while she's on jury duty. I hope she never gets picked, so we can all just hang out and enjoy the weather! 

And I agree!  We are driving up from Springfield where we had a "land of Lincoln" visit and heading to O'Hare. Lovely day for a ride 

• Like 6

I’m watching The Coronation Concert now on PBS!  It’s awesome!  Wonder if Scarlet is there.  So good!  Check it out if you get the chance.  It’ll probably replay on PBS.  

• Like 9
(edited)
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi Small Talk friends- my flight into ORD was early and under sold so we got to spread out!

My trip was amazing, but I’ve confirmed that weekend trips to Europe from Chicago are a NO, I’m so tired and I’m not normally jet lagged like this. I need at least 5nights. 

IMG_8635.thumb.jpeg.e7f80645b8fbc3975248e70093c9ebb7.jpeg

Hotel lobby- I thought this was the cutest!

Love that lobby display!

Good to know you're home - early. And extra room on the plane - BONUS!

I hope you bounce back soon from the time zone readjustment. I'm looking forward to your trip report!

Man, the Corgi in that photo is cute, and poignant. The new boss is a more of a Jack Russell guy; their current two dogs are a JR and a JR-Chihuahua mix. I don't think that he's a dog breeder; those dogs were both rescues.

But I doubt that the Corgi will vanish quickly as a national symbol, even if there's no longer a swarm of them running around the Palace at the sovereign's feet. They're just too cute and have been around too long.

Here's a recycled photo; they originally released it I think in 2020. I think the dogs are usually referred to as Camilla's; she adopted them. But I've read that he enjoys them; I think he's always liked the breed and his favorite dog back in the 80's or 90's was a Jack Russell named Tigger. 

Screenshot2023-05-09at7_41_08AM.png.b6682a36cdd3eb03cc004b31ea1e2ef8.png

In the meantime, I'm getting close enough to my departure for the UK, that the forecasts for my first days there are showing up on weather.com's 10 day forecast pages. So far, cloudy, kinda chilly, and probable rain. I'm okay with that. The real wild card for the trip plans - rail strikes. So far, there have been some announced that will happen while I'm there but not on any day when I'm traveling between cities. I've dodged those 'raindrops' so far, thank goodness! (I have bought refundable National Express coach [bus] tix for each of those four journeys already, as backup in case of rail strikes so I'll be okay anyway.)

Edited by Jeeves
I snarled the grammar and had to fix it
  • Like 16
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

IMG_8635.thumb.jpeg.e7f80645b8fbc3975248e70093c9ebb7.jpeg

Hotel lobby- I thought this was the cutest!

This is my favorite, so far. I'm sure it's because of the dog.

Speaking of the Royals and their dogs, I don't think this was posted here. Did you see that Camilla had her dogs embroidered at the hem of her coronation dress?

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Apparently Tom Cruise wants to date Shakira. I hope it’s a rumor!

Tom is a creepy cult member… No woman should be with him.

I have always found Tom Cruise to be creepy too. I have a good friend who adores him and she dragged me to Maverick a while back. It was ok, just not my cup of tea. I am excited about the Hello God, It's Me Margaret movie that just came out. Last night we watched the documentary on Judy Blume and it was so good!

• Like 10
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I have always found Tom Cruise to be creepy too. I have a good friend who adores him and she dragged me to Maverick a while back. It was ok, just not my cup of tea. I am excited about the Hello God, It's Me Margaret movie that just came out. Last night we watched the documentary on Judy Blume and it was so good!

He always weirded me out a bit, but the stuff about him in the book Going Clear is seared into my brain now. Particularly his obsession with bee pollen. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

He always weirded me out a bit, but the stuff about him in the book Going Clear is seared into my brain now. Particularly his obsession with bee pollen. 

What’s his obsession with bee pollen?

(edited)

There was this chapter that talked about this younger Scientology recruit having the great honor of being audited by Tom Cruise. When he doesn't pass the metabolism test prereq, Tom is all about the bee pollen (and vitamins) and literally takes him to the canteen to get bee pollen. He does this very publicly in a way that also means everyone then knew he was being audited by Tom Cruise, which was supposed to be confidential. The guy also swiped a Danish, and he personally thought that helped him pass the test more than the bee pollen bar Cruise gave him, which he said tasted like absolute shit, but he didn't dare tell Tommy, who was almost beside himself with glee to introduce someone to these bee pollen bars. The guy comments on it, not really in a mean way, but about how weird it was to him how excited Movie Star Tom Cruise was about these shitty bee pollen bars. That anecdote basically lives rent-free in my head now. 

A lot of the book is really weird anecdotes about Tom Cruise being super self-absorbed and off-putting while outwardly nice and how deeply enmeshed he is in the group, to the degree they have a lot of control over him, but he seems to welcome his Scientology overlords. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 8
  • Useful 7

From what I've seen/heard, the only overlord Cruise has is David Miscavige himself, and Cruise would gladly take the position of Supreme Overlord if the opportunity presents itself.  Celebrities have considerable freedom in the COS.  They aren't forced into debt buying all those programs, DVDs, etc.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

From what I've seen/heard, the only overlord Cruise has is David Miscavige himself, and Cruise would gladly take the position of Supreme Overlord if the opportunity presents itself.  Celebrities have considerable freedom in the COS.  They aren't forced into debt buying all those programs, DVDs, etc.

There's a lot of weird personal life interference that goes well beyond having what I'd consider "considerable freedom," including actively spying on him and orchestrating his personal life, like auditioning girlfriends as replacements for Kidman. He doesn't seem to mind, so I don't think he's a hostage blinking us an SOS, but I also don't consider it normal or the actions of an emotionally healthy, stable adult either. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, Zella said:

There's a lot of weird personal life interference that goes well beyond having what I'd consider "considerable freedom," including actively spying on him and orchestrating his personal life, like auditioning girlfriends as replacements for Kidman. He doesn't seem to mind, so I don't think he's a hostage blinking us an SOS, but I also don't consider it normal or the actions of an emotionally healthy, stable adult either. 

I do feel bad for whomever was in charge of handling Tom when Tom went on the Today Show back in 2005.  Because I know they were punished for "allowing" to to come across as batshit during his interview with Matt Lauer.  Ever since, his handlers make sure to keep him on a tighter leash.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Ugh, Tom Cruise. We don't even refer to him by name in our house. He's called TC. My disdain for him started at the afore mentioned batshit crazy interview on the Today show. He disseminated such inaccurate and harmful mental health info. My disdain grew as I learned more and more about his Scientology based behaviors. It makes me happy he is no longer headline worthy.

It makes me wonder who TC would be without Scientology. Would he still be a cocky actor compensating for his Napoleon complex? Or perhaps a humble actor and philanthropist?

PSA - cults can fuck you up.

• Like 14
20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do feel bad for whomever was in charge of handling Tom when Tom went on the Today Show back in 2005.  Because I know they were punished for "allowing" to to come across as batshit during his interview with Matt Lauer.  Ever since, his handlers make sure to keep him on a tighter leash.  

You know, I'd never even thought about that but yes I am sure they ended up being punished severely. 

• Sad 4

TC made sure Nicole Kidman wouldn’t see their kids. He is a piece of poo just for that. Nicole seems like a great mom and to rip 2 of her kids away was beyond cruel. His 2 kids with Nicole are sadly very deep into the cult. 

Poor Nicole! 

He is an angry little man. Sadly his Mission Impossible movies make a lot of $ so he will stay relevant for years. 

What kind of NDA did his ex wives sign? Not a peep from them about TC… Now they’re tell all books I’d read. 

Maybe Suri will write something…

• Like 7
13 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

It seems like Miscavige is his overlord but only as long as he has the church cater to Tom to make him happy and all his whims are fulfilled. I think it was Leah Remini's book (but maybe a different Scientology focused book) that talked about Tom having this desire to run and frolic naked in a field of wildflowers with Nicole Kidman, and the hoops they jumped through and work put in to making a field of wildflowers (in a desert) so he could have that experience.

Something I did NOT want to picture is a naked TC lol in a field of wildflowers. 

Brain bleach please.

I’m thinking TC is salivating at his desire to replace David! TC wants to be king of Scientology. 

TC is taller than David which probably pleases him.

And still no Shelly M. Where is Shelly? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

You know, I'd never even thought about that but yes I am sure they ended up being punished severely. 

The worst part is Tom was only parroting documented Scientology beliefs, he wasn't going off script.  And I'm sure initially DM was ecstatic that Tom went on a national network and "owned" Matt Lauer, Brooke Shields, and the toxic pharmaceutical industry.  At least until it backfired and the story became Tom was unhinged.  Someone was responsible for that, and it sure wasn't going to be the Golden Boy Tom.

• Like 6

I was on Facebook Marketplace and there was an ad for a stroller.

Here’s what the person put under description:

It’s a stroller. Put a baby in it. Or a puppy. Or a doll. Push it around empty for all I care, I don't judge! It's a fancy one handed pop up one. idk what they're called, I just know how to use them.

Regardless, be confident that it'll do the job, like it should, every time! Until you break it. This equipment is only as reliable as it's operator.

Please no tire kickers and no joy rides! If you want to test drive it, you'll have to sit in it while I push you around. I can't afford another "accident" like last time. It legally has one seat-belt, but it's spacious and adaptive enough that you could put as many babies in there as you want. You should check your state and local laws first, or be a rebel and flip the canopy down to hide your valuables (I'd hope so) from the stroller patrol. Be the cool parent at the park next season, with this nostalgic speedster from a couple years ago. It'll keep up with the newest models too, you just gotta run faster.

**EDIT**:: BABY NOT INCLUDED!!

You will have to supply your own.

• LOL 19

I’m home from my month in Europe. A friend loaned us a car so we could drive where and when we chose to. The navigation was in Italian so it was a challenge for me. We covered 6 countries. Although they were all special for their own reasons, I think I was most impressed by Croatia. So clean. 
   I had someone stay in my home to care for my senior cats (they’ll be 20 in October). I’m now getting so many purrs and they were so hungry. (They go on hunger strikes when I go away). It was a lovely trip, but I’m happy to be home. Seems like so many of us are traveling after reading this forum and catching up. 

• Like 12
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m home from my month in Europe. A friend loaned us a car so we could drive where and when we chose to. The navigation was in Italian so it was a challenge for me. We covered 6 countries. Although they were all special for their own reasons, I think I was most impressed by Croatia. So clean. 
   I had someone stay in my home to care for my senior cats (they’ll be 20 in October). I’m now getting so many purrs and they were so hungry. (They go on hunger strikes when I go away). It was a lovely trip, but I’m happy to be home. Seems like so many of us are traveling after reading this forum and catching up. 

Welcome home!  What an adventure!  

• Like 6