Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Are you sure the information you're receiving is accurate? From what my friends in the city have told me, bars & dine-in restaurants have been closed for weeks.

Unfortunately yes.  She posted on FaceBook.  (And believe me, I am old and barely connected, but can tell it is a realtime photo.) 

I just thought this was a forum for support.  Sorry if I'm wrong.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Unfortunately yes.  She posted on FaceBook.  (And believe me, I am old and barely connected, but can tell it is a realtime photo.) 

I just thought this was a forum for support.  Sorry if I'm wrong.

We’re a pretty supportive bunch here, I think.  However, all of the bars and restaurants in NYC have been closed for weeks.  Are you sure she’s not posting old photos?  There are a lot of people on Facebook doing virtual bar crawls using pics from other times or posting pictures of the places they miss and want to visit as soon as they can,

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

We’re a pretty supportive bunch here, I think.  However, all of the bars and restaurants in NYC have been closed for weeks.  Are you sure she’s not posting old photos?  There are a lot of people on Facebook doing virtual bar crawls using pics from other times or posting pictures of the places they miss and want to visit as soon as they can,

Thanks for the support, but yes, the photos are current.  There have always been ways to get around the laws (prohibition anyone?).  It's been a long few weeks.

2 hours ago, Brookside said:

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post. Please redirect me if there's a better place, but the forum name sent me here.

I'm just so worried about my niece, who's in NYC and immunocompromised.  She's in her 30's, she knows better, but in the last couple of days has started going out again to restaurants and bars.  She's a great (and intelligent) kid, and there's nothing I can do to be involved.  I'm just worried and scared.

Thanks for reading.

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with those worries, about something over which you are powerless. As @doodlebug said, we're pretty supportive.

I suppose that if you can figure out the venue(s) where she was partying in those photos, you could report them to the NYC police for violating health orders. 

There's a topic here at Primetimer that's not related to any specific TV show, specifically for the subject of COVID-19: 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post. Please redirect me if there's a better place, but the forum name sent me here.

I'm just so worried about my niece, who's in NYC and immunocompromised.  She's in her 30's, she knows better, but in the last couple of days has started going out again to restaurants and bars.  She's a great (and intelligent) kid, and there's nothing I can do to be involved.  I'm just worried and scared.

Thanks for reading.

Wow I’m in nyc and everything is closed around me. How she find all these places? 

• Love 14

I was talking to someone and the topic of trolls came up. Here are some ways to spot a troll.

1. Going off-topic and posting something random. 

2. Going off topic and posting off-topic memes, gifs, etc. 

3. Bad grammar.

4. They tend to go on and on about the same thing. 

5. They wouldn't let a topic or thing drop. 

6. They refuse to acknowledge there is evidence that goes against their argument. 

7. They seem oblivious to how their posts are being perceived. 

8. They can be dismissive or offended to how their posts are perceived. (Again: they tend to double down.)

Anyway there's not much to be done about trolls except ignore them.  It can be frustrating to be sure. I was looking this information for a friend and thought it would be helpful for people here.  I had two articles for source information. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 9
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I was talking to someone and the topic of trolls came up. Here are some ways to spot a troll.

3. Bad grammar.

6. They refuse to acknowledge there is evidence that goes against their argument. 

8. They can be dismissive or offended to how their posts are perceived. (Again: they tend to double down.)

Anyway there's not much to be done about trolls except ignore them.  It can be frustrating to be sure. I was looking this information for a friend and thought it would be helpful for people here.  I had two articles for source information. 

Tempie, are you as adorable in real life as you are here?

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

3. Bad grammar.

I've found that not looking under bridges is a good way to avoid trolls.

• LOL 12
On 4/27/2020 at 7:39 PM, Absolom said:

Found an archive for Courtney with multiple threads.  If there is interest, I've heard they'll start a new thread or revive an archived one.

https://www.freejinger.org/forum/366-courtney-sweet-tea-buttermilk/

So I introduced a friend to JRod a few weeks ago. And it spiraled from there. 

He asked me how exactly these people end up internet famous because having multiple kids isn't exactly a huge feat to pull off. 

Yeah... He didn't like the explanation. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I just totally lost it (in Facebook messenger) with my crazy bible beating 76yo sister.

She may never speak to me again...and that's all right with me.😭

I am so done with her preaching at me. PERIOD😠

(no offense to any non-crazy bible fans in here)

aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, ChiCricket said:

I just totally lost it (in Facebook messenger) with my crazy bible beating 76yo sister.

She may never speak to me again...and that's all right with me.😭

I am so done with her preaching at me. PERIOD😠

(no offense to any non-crazy bible fans in here)

aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!

Ugh.  I have an evangelical cousin who is totally obnoxious and has tried to convert me.  She told me to stop commenting on her posts!  then don't post them!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Ugh.  I have an evangelical cousin who is totally obnoxious and has tried to convert me.  She told me to stop commenting on her posts!  then don't post them!!

It's easy enough to not include someone in your post.  I've done it a lot since 2016.  There are people I love very much who have been incredibly kind to me that I just don't want to see their response.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

We're at that stage of isolation.  Anxiety and depression are 1 and 2 and next comes irritability and easily upset personal interactions.

Yes. I guess the new term is quarantine fatigue. 

• Love 15
8 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

This sister and I play Scrabble online together. It's a special site where you pay $15

a year, and it sends an email to the other person after they took their turn.

Theres a spot to write messages to the other person before they hit the "play" button. Then you see that message in the email you get (informing you it's now your turn.)

That worked great for us for years..after we BOTH agreed to never talk about religion or politics during our "sister scrabble chat."

Then I kept missing the notifications that she had played, because I so rarely check my email anymore...so I got her to use messenger.

It was fun, because now we could send gifs to each other along with a message that we had played (and whatever else we wanted to blab about...as long as that wasn't religion or politics.

I said all that to say...I know better than to even look at anything she posts on Facebook, but our messenger chats were a free from  BSC talk zone...until today.😭

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

This sister and I play Scrabble online together. It's a special site where you pay $15

a year, and it sends an email to the other person after they took their turn.

Theres a spot to write messages to the other person before they hit the "play" button. Then you see that message in the email you get (informing you it's now your turn.)

That worked great for us for years..after we BOTH agreed to never talk about religion or politics during our "sister scrabble chat."

Then I kept missing the notifications that she had played, because I so rarely check my email anymore...so I got her to use messenger.

It was fun, because now we could send gifs to each other along with a message that we had played (and whatever else we wanted to blab about...as long as that wasn't religion or politics.

I said all that to say...I know better than to even look at anything she posts on Facebook, but our messenger chats were a BSC zone...until today.😭

I have a sister whose feed I block on FB because she posts a lot of political stuff that is very out there.  That way, I don't see it because we manage not to discuss our political POV in person or on the phone.  She's a different person on FB; very confrontational and downright angry.  Life is too short for that.  I post political stuff, too, mainly stuff I find humorous, but since her views are diametrically opposed to mine, she is often gets PO'd about her beliefs being thought funny (I can laugh or I can cry is my POV) and will leave a nasty comment.  That's the only time I ever engage her, she replies to one of my posts with stuff that I find inaccurate and mean spirited and I respond-ONCE.  But it took me a long time to get there.

Another sister, to whom I am very close, probably we're the 2 closest out of all 5 sisters; but her politics are completely the opposite of mine.  I don't read her feed but she tends to stick to benign stuff and not get political because she has a lot of friends all over the spectrum.  We've made a pact that, if we post something that we know the other would want to see, we just tag each other to be sure we don't miss the important stuff.

I'm sure I mentioned that my mother had some cousins to whom she was close growing up who became fundies as adults.  When my 5 year old nephew died, these 2 cousins, brother and sister, and their spouses each sent my sister a note, reminding her that my nephew was in heaven, but, unless she and my brother in law immediately quit their wicked Catholic ways and became born again true believes; they would never see him again.  As my sister said, it read like a ransom note from Jesus.  When my mother heard about it, she never spoke to those cousins again.  Because there's nothing Jesus likes better than threatening parents who've lost their child. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wilsie said:

It's easy enough to not include someone in your post.  I've done it a lot since 2016.  There are people I love very much who have been incredibly kind to me that I just don't want to see their response.

I know. I don’t care if she blocks me or ignores me. But I still want to see the drivel she posts!!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I'm almost never on Facebook anymore because I can't take the extremists. I have family that 99% of the time will post about their kids/grandkids, pets, and things like that, then all of the sudden run a rash of negative political or religious posts. I want to know what's going on in their lives, I don't mind a little politics and religion, but if I want to read about what politician is secretly worshiping demons, I'll look it up myself.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Absolom said:

We're at that stage of isolation.  Anxiety and depression are 1 and 2 and next comes irritability and easily upset personal interactions.

Shit. What comes after that? I was in that a month ago and had to place a ban on COVID-19 discussion in my personal life unless I initiated it. Otherwise I was going to lose friendships.

That being said I got snapped at by a friend last week for considering once the restrictions are lifted immediately going to see the man I've been seeing. Said friend won't even leave their house to go for a drive around the neighborhood. The path between the front door and car door might have the 'rona. I am actually not kidding. That was the reason to not leave the house. It's not a contest as to whom can physical distance the best.

Let me have the one thing I'm looking forward to!!!

• Love 15

My sister sent me a reminder  that I hadn't played my turn, along with a total change of subject, so I guess she wants to make up.

I played my scrabble turn with her....but I sent her this gif instead of our usual funny/cute ones to let her know I played...because I'm still very pissed off.😂

displeased no thank you GIF

The one below is what the one I sent said..but the actual GIF was to big to fit in here.

Screenshot_20200429-222145.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

My sister must be trying to show me that she "gets it" about covid. 

She sent me this, and she never does potty humor (or curses) and she knows I do both from my Facebook posts (not in messages to  her though.)

She's obviously trying to come down to what she thinks is my level. 😂

(The second meme is just because I thought it was funny)😁

rps20200430_180326.jpg

Screenshot_20200430-145209.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My sister must be trying to show me that she "gets it" about covid. 

She sent me this, and she never does potty humor (or curses) and she knows I do both from my Facebook posts (not in messages to  her though.)

She's obviously trying to come down to what she thinks is my level. 😂

(The second meme is just because I thought it was funny)😁

rps20200430_180326.jpg

Screenshot_20200430-145209.jpg

I've seen the pee one and thought it was the perfect explanation for the masks! LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, awaken said:

I finally got the courage to leave a borderline abusive work situation. I’m angry at those who’ve mistreated me, sad to have a big missing piece in my life and missing my great colleagues, unsure of what my career holds now, and proud of myself for finally breaking free

Good for you! I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. 

You should be proud of yourself.

• Love 7

We're in the middle of a pandemic where the situation is ever changing. Do the best you can to homeschool but if we adults are experiencing Zoom fatigue, so are the kidlets. Don't beat yourself up. Right now learning from a math app is probably more productive. Or watching a YouTube video of some science guy. 

• Love 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, awaken said:

So agree on the quarantine fatigue. And it poured rain all day so that made it 100x worse. 

distance learning was a total fail for my kids today between not being able to log in, complete disinterest, and spotty internet. 

and, I finally got the courage to leave a borderline abusive work situation. I’m angry at those who’ve mistreated me, sad to have a big missing piece in my life and missing my great colleagues, unsure of what my career holds now, and proud of myself for finally breaking free. 

I’m really happy for you!!! I had to do the same thing two years ago. When I got my new job, I was so excited to start working with a boss who was enthusiastic and really liked me. I am proof that you can find something so much better! I’m glad you chose to leave a situation where you weren’t being treated well. I can’t wait until you find the right job!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 13

I honestly think districts need to scrap the homeschooling and start fresh next year. Parents are burnt out, kids are burnt out and in the big scheme of life a couple extra months of vacation isn't going to be the difference maker on whether a child ends up as a CEO or career criminal. With all the other added stressors in the world, it just isn't worth it.

• Love 20

Hi friends. I am TIRED. In home owner news I had flooding in my basement for the first time EVER (have lived here 3yrs), they spent 4hrs pumping the water out yesterday, and last night some water came BACK. 

The team is coming back for more water removal and the plumber is coming to install a sump pump, so it will be fixed. I’m still working, I have the money to fix it, and growing up in Chicago I know better than to put anything valuable in the basement unprotected- the appliances are on platforms & the holiday decor is in plastic tubs with a lid and the Christmas tree is wrapped in a durable plastic bag, (that part of the basement was dry though), so nothing is damaged.  

But it’s stressful and now we are behind on my sister’s laundry (she has 1-2 loads daily) and I have to go to Costco tomorrow so I am mentally tired. 

Im taking Tuesday as a personal day to sleep a long time and just relax. 

11 hours ago, awaken said:

So agree on the quarantine fatigue. And it poured rain all day so that made it 100x worse. 

distance learning was a total fail for my kids today between not being able to log in, complete disinterest, and spotty internet. 

and, I finally got the courage to leave a borderline abusive work situation. I’m angry at those who’ve mistreated me, sad to have a big missing piece in my life and missing my great colleagues, unsure of what my career holds now, and proud of myself for finally breaking free. 

I am so proud of you! I know it’s scary but like @Christina87 good things can only come from this. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I honestly think districts need to scrap the homeschooling and start fresh next year. Parents are burnt out, kids are burnt out and in the big scheme of life a couple extra months of vacation isn't going to be the difference maker on whether a child ends up as a CEO or career criminal. With all the other added stressors in the world, it just isn't worth it.

Unpopular opinion time. I think the haphazard online schooling has done more harm than good and with hindsight, we should have just resumed classes where we left off in August/September. It would have given teachers and administrators time to fully assess the needs of students and started making Plans B, C, and D if school could not resume in the fall.

Yes it would mean having to navigate the idea of not being promoted to the next grade in September and having to find a way to make up for lost time so the school year could go back to "normal". There are quite a few children that don't have adequate internet access at home. Some don't have electronic devices. It's already difficult enough to assess the needs of 20+ students. Now you're assuming they all have the same access to technology. Yeah. No. This is assuming that they even have access to a phone line. We had one family at my previous dance studio who would have their phone line disconnected at least once a year. Yeah...

It's why I'm grateful some colleges are announcing plans now to be online in September regardless. That way students can make an informed choice as to whether they have the adequate technology to take classes. 

• Love 11

Sorry you had the flood @Scarlett45.  I know  you don’t want to go to Costco, but it’ll be a change of scenery.  The last time I went to Sam’s to get my cake, I put on my everyday earrings and pendant, and some make up. It felt awesome to be out of the house and mimicking some semblance of a routine.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Sorry you had the flood @Scarlett45.  I know  you don’t want to go to Costco, but it’ll be a change of scenery.  The last time I went to Sam’s to get my cake, I put on my everyday earrings and pendant, and some make up. It felt awesome to be out of the house and mimicking some semblance of a routine.

Yes I know it will be good. It will be 72 in chicago so I need to figure out what I can wear and I will need to take a purse because I won’t have coat pockets!!! 🥰🥰🥰 

Actually I have been wearing more makeup in quarantine because I’m sitting right next to it and I have time. 

Just carrying all the stuff in the house is a PITA, because I have all my Moms stuff and my stuff. And it’s so bulky you have to take things 1-2 at a time. 

But I am fortunate- I can get my family all the things we need and we are healthy. 

• Love 11

I agree about the homeschooling.  If those parents wanted to/could do it, they would have.  It is too much pressure to be quarantined, worried about income, trying to work at home if there is a job, keeping kids on task, etc.  I listened to some radio show where an educator said just let them be, everyone is in the same boat, next year will be catch-up and most kids will do that.  Of course, I realize there are special needs children probably having little or none of their needs met.  I'm hoping somehow that can be resolved, but, honestly, it's not my area of expertise so I'm at a loss to suggest anything.  The other thing that I've read about is that school work that gets accomplished now only accounts for several hours a day.  Homeschool parents doing it correctly say they can get more accomplished in less time.  So maybe education will get "rethought" except that for so many it serves as daycare too.  And Andrew Cuomo said today that domestic violence cases are way up - and kids are probably involved too.   What a mess.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I agree about the homeschooling.  If those parents wanted to/could do it, they would have.  It is too much pressure to be quarantined, worried about income, trying to work at home if there is a job, keeping kids on task, etc.  I listened to some radio show where an educator said just let them be, everyone is in the same boat, next year will be catch-up and most kids will do that.  Of course, I realize there are special needs children probably having little or none of their needs met.  I'm hoping somehow that can be resolved, but, honestly, it's not my area of expertise so I'm at a loss to suggest anything.  The other thing that I've read about is that school work that gets accomplished now only accounts for several hours a day.  Homeschool parents doing it correctly say they can get more accomplished in less time.  So maybe education will get "rethought" except that for so many it serves as daycare too.  And Andrew Cuomo said today that domestic violence cases are way up - and kids are probably involved too.   What a mess.

I also read that molestation reports are up with kids in lockdown with their abusers. 😞

My heart really hurts for all the children (and adults) for whom home isn’t a safe place right now. Of course it’s awful to be out of work, but if your home isn’t safe Whats money???? And you can’t even escape to a friend’s or a neighbors for a little while. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Zella said:

I also read that molestation reports are up with kids in lockdown with their abusers. 😞

Yes - so many social problems exacerbated.  Mandated reporters now not available. So sad. 

I agree that homeschooling should have ended after the first month, when it was fairly clear they would not reopen. Kids learn at home all day long, through reading, playing, creating, video games, cooking, etc. Making them feel safe and less anxious should be the top priority.

Domestic abuse and child abuse have increased. Folks working in behavioral health are taking extra steps to try and mitigate the abuse and support those who need help. It's hard when not under lockdown and even harder now.

Being separated/isolated really emphasizes how much we all do depend each other to travel through life.

• Love 11