Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

And I totally agree with you on the greed thing. I was letting kids pick out two candies and had one kid just grab a huuuuge handful. I would normally never do this but I grabbed his hand and said "Can you count to two?" He nodded so I said "Yes?  Okay, pick two."  (OMG I felt like an ass, it just kinda happened... and the kid was probably 10-12 or so, not a little one - the little ones can get away with whatever hehe).  He looked rather shocked, but had I not stopped him some of the other friends in his group wouldn't have gotten anything at all.

I was handing out candies since I figured it was better and I knew how much we'd have for the kids.

But, your story reminds me of my sister one time at Kings Dominion. We were there with my nephews and going through the fun house. One kid ran through us and was pushing his way through the crowd. My sister grabbed him by his coat collar and pulled him back and said, "You get right back there and stay there. You know better!" Then she realized it wasn't one of her sons. But, the kid stayed back and didn't push any one else. My nephews were laughing, "Gee, Mom, you think we didn't know better?"

• Love 5

Is Trunk or Treat a thing elsewhere? Here it's huge. Tons of churches and high schools have them, open to the public. The mall and grocery stores all have trick or treating, as do some of the nursing homes. Most of our local park districts offer activities and candy as well. There are many, many options for safe Halloween activities.

This was the first year I saw anything about trunk or treating (also the first year I've had Facebook during October since 2010 probably), and I was like, what the heck is this? It's a great way to get the community involved, though.

Also, I'm a little embarrassed about the age that I stopped trick or treating. I was at my husband's friend's house this Halloween, and they kept commenting about these old trick or treaters, and now reading all of your comments, I realized I trick or treated wayyyyy too late. In my defense, I have always looked much younger than I actually am. Also, when everyone was at that stage where they were "too cool" to play games and wanted to grow up and be 18, my best friend and I were the exact opposite. I did it because it was fun and I loved dressing up and spending time with her. If I would've known people didn't like it, I wouldn't have done it, but I was totally clueless, I guess.... oops! :) 

Side note: the main complaint with the older trick or treaters were basically that a.) they didn't really dress up and b.) they were rude (no "trick or treat," "happy halloween," or "thank you."). I was neither of those two things, not like that makes it any better!

• Love 5

We live in a town with a lot of young families, so trick or treating is a big deal. The night before halloween the downtown has a big trick or treating event where kids can go to all the local businesses for candy, and there's a big party atmosphere. Then most kids hit their own neighborhoods on halloween. We had an amazing time this year, because our two year old suddenly grasped that when he went up to houses they GAVE HIM STUFF. He hooked up with some older boys whose family we are friends with, and they took him under their wings and helped him trick or treat...it was way cute. When we got home we had a steady stream of trick or treaters until about 9:30 or so...almost all kiddos under 12.

It's so hit or miss...my parents say they never get trick or treaters at their house, and at our old house we would get one or two...guess it depends on the ebb and flow of young families. 

• Love 3

We live on a dead end street. You could call it a cul-de-sac, I guess, but really it's just a dead end. You have to walk about the distance of a regular block before you come to any houses, and then there are only three. No one bothers trick or treating here, not since our own pack (our two and the three from next door, whom we pretty much consider "ours" as well) grew up. They would hit the three houses and then strike out for better territories. Now the very youngest of those five girls is a sophomore in college, so... But every year DH buys a bag of candy. Or two bags. And every year I'm like, "Honey, no one's coming here," and he says, "Don't be such a pessimist." And every year, no one comes. Then he puts the candy in the freezer and it gradually disappears -- usually just in time to be replaced by the Christmas candy. :-)

• Love 6

It's so hit or miss...my parents say they never get trick or treaters at their house, and at our old house we would get one or two...guess it depends on the ebb and flow of young families.

I too, think it's all usually tied to the age and stability of the neighborhood. Ours is 20 something years old (the house) and the people who originally moved in here had young children who've grown and moved along. There are virtually no children here now (well, grandchildren). I knew they were brought in before when we had a bunch, but what happened? Why were we appealing then, but not now? And they were driven to the 'hood, so it's not like those people all got together and said, "ok, next year, we skip THAT subdivision, they're too weird!". I wonder if the HOA would fine me if I put signs at the entrance next year that said "trick or Treat in here!!!". Ha!!! Can you IMAGINE the backlash???

• Love 2

This was the first year I saw anything about trunk or treating (also the first year I've had Facebook during October since 2010 probably), and I was like, what the heck is this? It's a great way to get the community involved, though.

Also, I'm a little embarrassed about the age that I stopped trick or treating. I was at my husband's friend's house this Halloween, and they kept commenting about these old trick or treaters, and now reading all of your comments, I realized I trick or treated wayyyyy too late. In my defense, I have always looked much younger than I actually am. Also, when everyone was at that stage where they were "too cool" to play games and wanted to grow up and be 18, my best friend and I were the exact opposite. I did it because it was fun and I loved dressing up and spending time with her. If I would've known people didn't like it, I wouldn't have done it, but I was totally clueless, I guess.... oops! :) 

Side note: the main complaint with the older trick or treaters were basically that a.) they didn't really dress up and b.) they were rude (no "trick or treat," "happy halloween," or "thank you."). I was neither of those two things, not like that makes it any better!

This was the first year they did Trunk or Treat in my town, which was great because that meant there were no kids coming to my door.  I'm rarely home on Halloween (as I commute and don't step back through my front door until about 7:15 on a good day, more like 8 or 8:30), and I hate the idea of kids walking up m front steps just to find out no one is home.  My house sits up on a hill, and I have about 15 steps from grade to my front door. It's one of the few times I turn my front lights out (they're on dusk-to-dawn timers).  But they apparently did several big Trunk or Treat events in town this year, so no kids.

And confession time, I went Trick or Treating in college.  It was Trick or Treat with the older townies, who were largely amused because we went all-out on our costumes (my 6-foot-4 male friend went in full tootoo and toe shoes, God love him, he even wore a tiara).  The college kid houses were a bit more adult-oriented with their treats.  We ended up at a friend of a friend of a friend's house party.  Good times.

But interesting note about the stability of the neighborhood.  Most of the folks who has little kids when we moved in have since moved themselves (as we had a lot of rentals at the time) or the kids are now big kids and would rather spend the night at Fright Fest or a haunted house, etc.  My neighborhood is starting to gentrify as people who are fleeing the seaside historic district have figured out that the little Craftsman bungalows they love are a third of the price and have a lot four times the size of the ones they are currently on are just a mile inland.  It's a lot of DINKs (duel-income-no-kids), so no kids obviously.  

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 5

Also, I'm a little embarrassed about the age that I stopped trick or treating.. when everyone was at that stage where they were "too cool" to play games and wanted to grow up and be 18, my best friend and I were the exact opposite. I did it because it was fun and I loved dressing up and spending time with her. If I would've known people didn't like it, I wouldn't have done it, but I was totally clueless, I guess.... oops! :) 

NEURAL-PLASTICITY....I have a feeling, based on your description, that you have nothing to be embarrassed about. People were probably just fine with you and your friend all dressed up and being polite. Some of my favorites this year were the teenagers who really made an effort with their costumes and were totally polite and into the Halloween spirit. Keep your treasured memories!

• Love 7

I was letting kids pick out two candies and had one kid just grab a huuuuge handful. I would normally never do this but I grabbed his hand and said "Can you count to two?" He nodded so I said "Yes?  Okay, pick two."  (OMG I felt like an ass, it just kinda happened... and the kid was probably 10-12 or so, not a little one - the little ones can get away with whatever hehe).  He looked rather shocked, but had I not stopped him some of the other friends in his group wouldn't have gotten anything at all.

If it's wrong that I loved this, I'm not sorry! Obviously this kid's parents weren't teaching him manners and maybe this lesson will stick with him. 

I'm fine with older kids trick or treating, but only if they're wearing costumes. Last year I had several older teen boys hit my house wearing no costumes, holding garbage bags out for candy, and they didn't say "happy halloween" or "trick or treat". It pissed me off. 

• Love 5

Her ridiculous "sexy bunny" outfit shows her back tats, so someone will identify her sooner or later.

Trisha Farrell of El Cajon, CA. She's out there already saying things like "I love my haters and welcome to my fan club" on her Facebook account. 

Absolute dead ringer for Grace Kelly in every way, no ?

• Love 8

But two nights later I'm reeling, all over again, by the unabashed Mommy Mongering, entitlement, and bullshit. When in the funky-fuck did THIS little "custom" start ??? Drunk Mommies trolling for candy with ONE non-eating baby ???

Stop it. Just STOP it. We know who you are, and we're gonna shame your gaming, grifting ass if we see you at Kroeger's, I swear !!!

And this is why we can't have nice things. 

Are you sure you don't live in our town?

I'll meet you at the Kroger's. Boxed wine and snark is on the menu!

• Love 5

We were there with my nephews and going through the fun house. One kid ran through us and was pushing his way through the crowd. My sister grabbed him by his coat collar and pulled him back and said, "You get right back there and stay there. You know better!" Then she realized it wasn't one of her sons. But, the kid stayed back and didn't push any one else. My nephews were laughing, "Gee, Mom, you think we didn't know better?"

Reminds me of an incident many years ago at our local video store (this was way before Netflix, when there were only brick and mortar movie rental stores and you could physically select the VHS movie you wanted from the racks). My daughters, who were @4 and 6 at the time, were going wild and grabbing armfuls of videos from the display. "Put those back," I warned in my sternest voice (and I have a naturally low voice so my stern voice really does sounds serious). And 3 adults standing next to us immediately put the video boxes they were holding back on the shelf. Embarrassed (though I probably shouldn't have been), I smiled politely at them and said "Oh, I didn't mean you."

• Love 9

Trisha Farrell of El Cajon, CA. She's out there already saying things like "I love my haters and welcome to my fan club" on her Facebook account. 

Absolute dead ringer for Grace Kelly in every way, no ?

Grace Kelly!  Hahahahaha!  OMG, I only just finished laughing!! Internet moment of the day. Thanks for the guffaw, some...  ⭐️

• Love 2

Are you sure you don't live in our town?

I'll meet you at the Kroger's. Boxed wine and snark is on the menu!

Sadly we no longer have a Kroeger's here, but as I was a devoted fan to the very end I now call ALL grocery stores Kroeger's. 

But I will move to your town, Missy Vixen ! I'm in Pennsylvania and we don't have alcohol in supermarkets ! Oh, the humanity !!!

Grace Kelly!  Hahahahaha!  OMG, I only just finished laughing!! Internet moment of the day. Thanks for the guffaw, some...  ⭐️

I just called my boyfriend at work to tell him I got a Gold Star ! I'm not kidding here. You've made my day  :)

• Love 5

If it's wrong that I loved this, I'm not sorry! Obviously this kid's parents weren't teaching him manners and maybe this lesson will stick with him. 

I'm fine with older kids trick or treating, but only if they're wearing costumes. Last year I had several older teen boys hit my house wearing no costumes, holding garbage bags out for candy, and they didn't say "happy halloween" or "trick or treat". It pissed me off. 

Weighing-in on the side of trick-or-treating for only those age 12 and under. There comes a time when everyone has to "put away childish things." That means giving up on some of the fun childhood activities as well as accepting some of the responsibilities and privileges of young adulthood. If an older kid still wants to trick-or-treat,  he's also going to have to be willing to accept other aspects of life as a younger child - earlier bedtimes, not being allowed certain games, videos, activities etc etc. Doubtful that most of the teens out trick-or-treating will be wanting that, however.

For any older kid who really wants to celebrate Halloween, I'd suggest what a very good friend of my nephew did. When he felt too old to trick-or-treat, he turned the tables. Now every year he "does" his parents' entry steps for them at Halloween. He loves doing it and does an EXCELLENT job, as you would imagine an art major would. Full-size witch dummy dressed in black with the hat, broom and black cat. Spooky sounds playing on a hidden boombox. Wonderfully-carved pumpkins. It's the talk of their neighborhood every year come October - ever since he started doing it. He did a set of Minion pumpkins last year which were adorable! We all go to see what he does the night before Halloween, before all the little kids see it the next night. Tony is 20 now and has been doing this for 8 years. Now we wonder how we'll manage when he finishes college and moves away?  Sniff. His new neighbors will certainly be lucky.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

Best costume I've ever seen: They were a group of college students (so was I) on a college campus, NOT trick or treating, just walking around. They were all wearing or carrying sheets; it looked very odd. But then they stopped and arranged themselves as a group, draped in sheets, standing at odd angles, some being held up by others. I couldn't understand what they were doing, then they told us we'd see it better from a distance. So we backed up and looked again and -- they were Stonehenge! They were great. They wandered around for hours setting up and posing over and over. So much fun.

• Love 24

My 70 year-old mother and her 70 year-old friends dressed up and went trick-or-treating for shots of booze. Apparently that's a thing in their (retirement) community. You're never too old, I guess?

I think I just picked out my retirement community. Wait until DH hears this.

• Love 12

Having been born in England, where Halloween is only just now becoming a "thing" (and seen by many as yet another of those horrible imports from the USA), I had never heard of it before 1969, at the age of almost 10, and only in the USA for a month when I experienced it for the first time. Kids were talking about it at school, so I knew I was supposed to dress up and go door to door saying "trick or treat!" and people would give me sweets. We lived in a pretty good size apartment complex with a lot of young families, but somehow the sheer scope of it was beyond what we had imagined. I think I went out for twenty minutes or so, just to the doors around out unit. Mom made up a couple of dozen little treat bags, nicely decorated. Those were gone within minutes, and she spent the time until I got back scavenging through the house for cookies, fruit, or whatever else she could find. When I got there, my treat bag was immediately used to placate the hordes...I don't recall whether I got to keep any of my candy.

Since our area and maybe just the time period in general didn't see very much in the way of kids past the age of 13 or so trick-or-treating, I don't think I really went out more than two or three years after that.

• Love 1

Yeah, I love trick or treat, and I don't mind the older ones if they're dressed. The older ones know they are hanging on to a little kid tradition and are almost embarrassed to be out there, so usually I get a little banter out of their visits. I do love the littles. We went all out for Halloween when my kids were little. I created their costumes every year. So much fun. Epic fail: my daughter decided one year to be "sprout" (associated with Green Giant - ho ho ho!). She painted her face green, wore a long sleeve green shirt, and I cut leaves of felt and sewed them to a hood and all over the shirt. It came out looking a whole lot more like the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I've done lions, tigers and bears. Raggedy Ann. Rainbow Brite. A scarecrow (he complained about the hay all night). A Martian. Homer and Marge. Crayons, m&ms (and the bag), and one epic year, The Giving Tree. (Cumbersome but cool). They picked, I helped get them there. I LOVE the creativity involved. My favorite time my daughter ever dressed up for anything - she helped with a senior citizen event once and they had her wear elf shoes with curly toes and gigantic pointy ears. She HATES that pic and begs every year for it to go away. No way. I love that picture.

• Love 6

I was handing out candies since I figured it was better and I knew how much we'd have for the kids.

But, your story reminds me of my sister one time at Kings Dominion. We were there with my nephews and going through the fun house. One kid ran through us and was pushing his way through the crowd. My sister grabbed him by his coat collar and pulled him back and said, "You get right back there and stay there. You know better!" Then she realized it wasn't one of her sons. But, the kid stayed back and didn't push any one else. My nephews were laughing, "Gee, Mom, you think we didn't know better?"

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to switch to handing them out next year. I just like letting the kids pick out their favorites and/or dodge any allergies (plus the parents hanging back crack me up when they're saying to the kids "I think I see Reese's cups in there, don't I?!")  (like the kid as any choice BUT to grab the Reese's at that point hehe)

Oh my gosh the story about your sister is funny. I could see myself doing that and then going "OMG what'd I just do?" but sometimes someone's gotta say something if the parents won't.

IMO that makes it pretty much completely okay!  I don't mind the older ones if they're respectful, polite, and put in some effort.

• Love 4

and one epic year, The Giving Tree. (Cumbersome but cool).

The Giving Tree. Oh, my. I am flashing back to my son's fourth-grade class. It was a special day when parents were invited to the music class. We were sitting in a semi-circle when the teacher told everyone that there were refreshments (cookies and punch, I think) in the small office . . . but they were only for the parents and for the students whose parents showed up. I remember thinking how awful this was. Some parents probably couldn't get off work or had other commitments. It really upset me. It's bad enough that your parent didn't/couldn't show up, but you don't get a cookie either??

After refreshments, the teacher decided to read The Giving Tree aloud to the class. I'd never read the book. I couldn't believe how sad it was. Maybe I was already bummed out from the refreshments thing, but I actually teared up and had to force myself not to cry.

I don't recall anyone else having that reaction, but, man, it got to me.

I'm assuming the costume didn't evoke the same response?

Edited by Jordan Baker
  • Love 6

Well, no... He just looked like a tree. It is a sad book. Silverstein was always a little sad. And it is unjust that only the children with parents there got cookies. Boo!!! Our local elementary school always hosts a father/daughter dance, and we've been bugging them for years to encourage the little girls to invite an uncle or an older brother because some of them don't have a father they've ever laid eyes on, much less could expect to show interest in the dance. We costume up for that too according to the theme - last year, my girly girl grand was a flapper and it was ADORABLE.

Years ago, my husband and I went to a local (Atlanta) smallish production based on Harry Chapin (Cats In the Cradle) songs. Several years after he died. There were many older folks there who had no idea who Harry Chapin was, or that he had, in fact, written many famous songs. They just went because it was a local production, and an easy walk - and I got a kick out of them going to a show they couldn't possibly enjoy. During the intermission, I heard one older lady crow out, "that Harry Chapin was an ANGRY man!!!" She pronounced it Chap-pin, rhyming with Clappin'. I can't hear "Chapin" without autocorrecting (in my head) it to Chappin now.

• Love 5

The Giving Tree. Oh, my. I am flashing back to my son's fourth-grade class. It was a special day when parents were invited to the music class. We were sitting in a semi-circle when the teacher told everyone that there were refreshments (cookies and punch, I think) in the small office . . . but they were only for the parents and for the students whose parents showed up. I remember thinking how awful this was. Some parents probably couldn't get off work or had other commitments. It really upset me. It's bad enough that your parent didn't/couldn't show up, but you don't get a cookie either??

After refreshments, the teacher decided to read The Giving Tree aloud to the class. I'd never read the book. I couldn't believe how sad it was. Maybe I was already bummed out from the refreshments thing, but I actually teared up and had to force myself not to cry.

I don't recall anyone else having that reaction, but, man, it got to me.

Nope, you're not the only one, Jordan Baker...

I remember having that book read to me at some point when I was little - maybe five or six (?) and thinking I just heard the story of a pathologically, dangerously selfless tree who commits a long, slow, excruciating suicide as his "friend" profits and abides by it.

I still flinch when someone brings it up. To me, that book is about "giving" in the same way that Flowers in the Attic is about "family togetherness". 

And the "No Cookie For You !!!" thing is just bullshit. She's The Cookie Nazi. 

• Love 6

At first I was concerned that Happyfatchick's Harry Chappin earwig might stick. But I live in SWFL and Chapin lives on through his Foundation which makes possible the Harry Chapin Food Bank. I, and many, hear his name often.

Bless him.

But his songs were kind of downers.

As was The Giving Tree. I read it for the first time as an adult and was caught completely off-guard. I'm thinking, This is in the children's section? I find it depressing.

• Love 3

My 70 year-old mother and her 70 year-old friends dressed up and went trick-or-treating for shots of booze. Apparently that's a thing in their (retirement) community. You're never too old, I guess?

I like this; I am getting old, but I would trick or treat for wine and chocolate!

• Love 5

The giving tree is one of the saddest books I never understood why someone felt it was a kids book, but I always cried during " Puff the majic dragon also.

I thought I was the only person who cried over "Puff." Still do-- it was on one of the tapes the kids wanted played in the car all the time; I would sing along and cry.  Feel the same way about "The Giving Tree" not being a children's book.

• Love 7

I believe Harry, maybe in colłaboration with his brother Tom - or maybe that's backwards entirely (Google is our friend...) wrote the music for the musical "Cotton Patch Gospel". It is hilarious to me, I've seen it in person twice and watched it some more on YouTube. Very entertaining (to me, YMMV).

On a different note entirely, why do you suppose (seriously) it makes me slightly insane when my husband won't eat lettuce on a taco salad? Iceberg lettuce has less caloric value than paper; why do I care? I think it's because it's called SALAD. Salad is supposed to contain lettuce of some variety. . I know, I know. Controlling, much?

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4

I went to Catholic high school and we did this play one year. I love the lullaby from the show and vowed I would sing it for my child one day --- and I do. I sing it to my daughter to send her to sleep every night. "Mama will hold you safe, til the morning light..."

Edited by XinaMarie
  • Love 4

I have to make myself jump in the shower as soon as I get up, or it just won't happen.  My hair needs to be washed every day, so if I skip my shower, I wash my hair in the sink.  I love to take a bubble bath and read in the tub, but the tub in my apartment is peeling, so I won't take a bath here.

Here's what I don't get about people who object to baths (and this is not directed at anyone who posted anti-bath here, just something I've thought about more than a time or two):  Most people say they don't take baths because they don't want to sit around in their own filth.  How filthy do most of us get in the course of a normal day?!  Also, babies (who actually do get filthy multiple times a day AND sit in their own filth!) are routinely given baths, which I think is actually nastier than a grown-up taking a bath.  Seriously, I know that baths are the only logical way to clean a baby, but I don't see a bath as that much different than lounging in a pool all day.  And I thought it was hilarious when some celebrity said he always uses two washcloths in the shower because he doesn't want to wash his face with the same cloth he used on his butt.  I thought, "Then wash your face first!"

I love Halloween, but I'm a stickler--kids must say Trick or Treat if they want candy from me.  I'll just look at them and wait, and if they still don't say it, I'll ask, "What am I waiting to hear?"  My husband pulls faces and tells them, "She's really strict!" but I feel like it's the one expected thing they must do.  I bought a ton of candy, and after the kids said ToT, I would tell them to choose three items from the cauldron.  I had a good mix of stuff, too, I think:  candy bracelets, gummi bears, ring pops, Air Heads, Reese's pumpkins, and an array of snack sized candy bars.  I also bought a big bag of DumDums, and that's what I gave to the babies.

I don't mind when parents bring their babies, especially if it's the first baby, because that's just one of the things you look forward to about being a parent.  I don't mind the older kids, either, if they're wearing anything remotely resembling a costume.  I guess I figure if they're motivated enough to do the work, I can give them a few pieces of candy, but everybody gets the same:  three pieces.

Here's my Halloween highlight:  I volunteered to usher a late-night show of Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I hadn't planned to, but the house manager was desperate, and I'm trying to ingratiate myself so they'll see fit to give me the part-time usher job she told me about in July.  Anyway, a guy came to the show dressed as a penis.  He had a nude pantyhose colored costume made of parachute/windbreaker material, circumcised head at the top, and testicles on either side of his feet.  Me being me, I asked him if his name was Peter or Richard, and he said (with a big shit-eating grin), "Dick."  I nodded and said, "Of course."  Then I turned to my fellow usher and said, "It takes balls to come as a penis."  

The guy had to deflate his costume to sit down for the show.  I told someone, "I've never seen a penis do that before!"

• Love 12

I believe Harry, maybe in colłaboration with his brother Tom - or maybe that's backwards entirely (Google is our friend...) wrote the music for the musical "Cotton Patch Gospel". It is hilarious to me, I've seen it in person twice and watched it some more on YouTube. Very entertaining (to me, YMMV).

On a different note entirely, why do you suppose (seriously) it makes me slightly insane when my husband won't eat lettuce on a taco salad? Iceberg lettuce has less caloric value than paper; why do I care? I think it's because it's called SALAD. Salad is supposed to contain lettuce of some variety. . I know, I know. Controlling, much?

Maybe this will help. Just call his meal Nachos. That's Taco Salad without lettuce. [small voice]It would probably bother me too but only because he took all the good fixins for the top of the salads.[/sv]

• Love 2

Ugh. The Giving Tree. Or as I call it, The Co-Dependent Tree. That book is a psychiatrist's dream. If you really want to get true insight into Shel Silverstein, get a hold of a copy of Uncle Shelby's Book of ABZ's. One of my all-time favorites. If you're the least bit nostalgic about him, I wouldn't.

• Love 3

I have to make myself jump in the shower as soon as I get up, or it just won't happen. My hair needs to be washed every day, so if I skip my shower, I wash my hair in the sink. I love to take a bubble bath and read in the tub, but the tub in my apartment is peeling, so I won't take a bath here.

Here's what I don't get about people who object to baths (and this is not directed at anyone who posted anti-bath here, just something I've thought about more than a time or two): Most people say they don't take baths because they don't want to sit around in their own filth. How filthy do most of us get in the course of a normal day?! Also, babies (who actually do get filthy multiple times a day AND sit in their own filth!) are routinely given baths, which I think is actually nastier than a grown-up taking a bath. Seriously, I know that baths are the only logical way to clean a baby, but I don't see a bath as that much different than lounging in a pool all day. And I thought it was hilarious when some celebrity said he always uses two washcloths in the shower because he doesn't want to wash his face with the same cloth he used on his butt. I thought, "Then wash your face first!"

I love Halloween, but I'm a stickler--kids must say Trick or Treat if they want candy from me. I'll just look at them and wait, and if they still don't say it, I'll ask, "What am I waiting to hear?" My husband pulls faces and tells them, "She's really strict!" but I feel like it's the one expected thing they must do. I bought a ton of candy, and after the kids said ToT, I would tell them to choose three items from the cauldron. I had a good mix of stuff, too, I think: candy bracelets, gummi bears, ring pops, Air Heads, Reese's pumpkins, and an array of snack sized candy bars. I also bought a big bag of DumDums, and that's what I gave to the babies.

I don't mind when parents bring their babies, especially if it's the first baby, because that's just one of the things you look forward to about being a parent. I don't mind the older kids, either, if they're wearing anything remotely resembling a costume. I guess I figure if they're motivated enough to do the work, I can give them a few pieces of candy, but everybody gets the same: three pieces.

Here's my Halloween highlight: I volunteered to usher a late-night show of Rocky Horror Picture Show. I hadn't planned to, but the house manager was desperate, and I'm trying to ingratiate myself so they'll see fit to give me the part-time usher job she told me about in July. Anyway, a guy came to the show dressed as a penis. He had a nude pantyhose colored costume made of parachute/windbreaker material, circumcised head at the top, and testicles on either side of his feet. Me being me, I asked him if his name was Peter or Richard, and he said (with a big shit-eating grin), "Dick." I nodded and said, "Of course." Then I turned to my fellow usher and said, "It takes balls to come as a penis."

The guy had to deflate his costume to sit down for the show. I told someone, "I've never seen a penis do that before!"

MAGPYE29, I couldn't even edit your post down to reply. I loved and agree with every word of it. Thanks for the big laugh.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 2

Warning - I'm about to go on a rant ;)

I work part-time with kids aged 5-12 in out-of-hours care and honestly, some of the parents are driving me insane.  What is seriously driving me up the wall is when the parents don't enforce our rules with their kids.  We have the rule that if you get it out, you put it away and there is a sign near the toy cupboard which says this very clearly.  However some parents walk in, see their kid surrounded by Lego or cars or whatever, walk over and take them home.  They completely ignore the fact that their kid has just left 20 building blocks or pencils in the middle of the floor and don't make them pack it up.  It annoys me because we can't just leave the stuff sitting there so then either I have to pick it all up (taking away from what I should be doing) or I have to get another kid to clear (and obviously they don't want to because they didn't get it out).  

Same as the parents who get upset that we put their child in time-out for being rude or disobeying the rules.  I don't care if you don't have a rule at home that the kids must put their plates and cups in the sink but here we do so when your kid refuses and then throws a hissy fit, there will be consequences.  

The reason it gets up my nose so much is because we actually don't have that many strict rules.  We give the kids a fair bit of (supervised) freedom and in exchange we expect that they and their parents, will respect our rules which are mostly born out of workplace health and safety regulations. 

Despite all this I actually do love it and the majority of the parents are great.  I just wish that the annoying minority would go away, lol.  

• Love 15

I have to make myself jump in the shower as soon as I get up, or it just won't happen.  My hair needs to be washed every day, so if I skip my shower, I wash my hair in the sink.  I love to take a bubble bath and read in the tub, but the tub in my apartment is peeling, so I won't take a bath here.

Here's what I don't get about people who object to baths (and this is not directed at anyone who posted anti-bath here, just something I've thought about more than a time or two):  Most people say they don't take baths because they don't want to sit around in their own filth.  How filthy do most of us get in the course of a normal day?!  Also, babies (who actually do get filthy multiple times a day AND sit in their own filth!) are routinely given baths, which I think is actually nastier than a grown-up taking a bath.  Seriously, I know that baths are the only logical way to clean a baby, but I don't see a bath as that much different than lounging in a pool all day.  And I thought it was hilarious when some celebrity said he always uses two washcloths in the shower because he doesn't want to wash his face with the same cloth he used on his butt.  I thought, "Then wash your face first!"

I don't feel right if I don't wash my hair every day.  It's the shaving the legs that is so damn annoying.  I have dark hair, so I have to shave almost every day or every other day.  

My kids hate taking baths.  They're in that tween age group and I practically have to force them some days. During the summer, their excuse was that they were in the pool, so why did they have to take a bath.

On another topic, my entire family is super excited for the Peanuts Movie that is coming out this weekend.  It makes me sad that the Duggar kids will never know the joys of Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and the rest of the Peanuts gang.  

• Love 5

I taught junior high math in the community where I lived and I always had my students coming to my door on Halloween night.  I even had former students, now in high school, come and it was always fun, and a pleasure for me, to see them.  I loved the little ones who were unsure of just what was going on but participated at the urging of their parents. I loved dressing up as a kid and loved dressing my kids as a parent.  One of my favorite costumes was dressing the kids as M&M plain and M&M peanut.  We had brown and yellowish plastic garbage bags and my hubby painted the logos on the bags.  The kids just slipped them on over their clothes and were good to go. 

The candy stealing lady has apparently taken down her FB page.  At least I couldn't find it.  What a low-life!

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 5

Here's what I don't get about people who object to baths (and this is not directed at anyone who posted anti-bath here, just something I've thought about more than a time or two):  Most people say they don't take baths because they don't want to sit around in their own filth.  How filthy do most of us get in the course of a normal day?!  Also, babies (who actually do get filthy multiple times a day AND sit in their own filth!) are routinely given baths, which I think is actually nastier than a grown-up taking a bath.  Seriously, I know that baths are the only logical way to clean a baby, but I don't see a bath as that much different than lounging in a pool all day.  And I thought it was hilarious when some celebrity said he always uses two washcloths in the shower because he doesn't want to wash his face with the same cloth he used on his butt.  I thought, "Then wash your face first!"

I prefer a nice soaking bath, but I turn on the shower right before I get out to rinse off.  I remember when I was little and first starting to bathe by myself that my mother told me the order of washing beginning with the face.

• Love 1

I don't feel right if I don't wash my hair every day.  It's the shaving the legs that is so damn annoying.  I have dark hair, so I have to shave almost every day or every other day.   

Right there with ya, at least in regards to washing my hair.  I can go, max, two days but by the time I get home on the second day, it looks like I was headbutting a vat of Crisco.  I have my legs down to once a week shaving through the power of an at-home IPL laser.  (HSN, 6 payments on Easy Pay!)

I literally have not taken a bath in years but have no philosophical objection to them.  I just don't find them enjoyable.  It's not like I'm working in a coal mine or a slaughter house so the water isn't going to be gross or anything.  I think part of it is I can't get comfortable.  I'm sure if I had a tub with jacuzzi jets that would change.  

• Love 6

I don't mind older kids doing Trick or Treat. My townhouse community closes off one of the cul-de-sacs and does Trunk or Treat for the little bitty kids, so usually we get no one younger than 8 at our door. It's just candy, and I'm glad they're running around having a good time.

• Love 4

Ugh. The Giving Tree. Or as I call it, The Co-Dependent Tree. That book is a psychiatrist's dream. If you really want to get true insight into Shel Silverstein, get a hold of a copy of Uncle Shelby's Book of ABZ's. One of my all-time favorites. If you're the least bit nostalgic about him, I wouldn't.

I am sorta nostalgic about a few of his poems, but I did not care for "The Giving Tree." My daughter couldn't stand the man who demanded everything from the tree. I think she was about 7 at the time.  Then a few weeks later our priest gave a homily comparing Christ to the giving tree which confused her because she thought the tree was nice, but stupid. She called it the story of the selfish boy with his stupid tree. 

• Love 7

On the tub vs shower question...I take showers as a rule. I do like baths, especially with a book, bubbles and a bottle of wine (alliteration may or may not be the only reason I didn't say "glass"). I'm not quite svelte enough to submerge as much as I'd like in a standard size tub, though.

My hair is curly and doesn't like being washed every day, so unless I've been doing anything involving much dirt or sweat, a shower every two to (occasionally) three days seems to be enough. Luckily I don't work outside the home, so nobody much cares if I have the occasional day where I don't get further than the "just rolled out of bed" look.

• Love 7