Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Test Of Strength

• Start Topic

Just a guess... maybe he finds out about that little incident with Desiree and Jimmy, and goes after Jimmy. Judging by that clip, he 's trying to kill someone... and he does have a short fuse.

• Love 1

Just a guess... maybe he finds out about that little incident with Desiree and Jimmy, and goes after Jimmy. Judging by that clip, he 's trying to kill someone... and he does have a short fuse.

There's that or he finds out someone killed Matt Bomer's character and he wants revenge for that....?  Maybe he'll try to go after Dandy?

There's that or [Dell] finds out someone killed Matt Bomer's character and he wants revenge for that....?  Maybe he'll try to go after Dandy?

From his "Don't make this difficult" I'd guess that he's trying to kill a freak at Hare's (Stanley, is that his name?) behest. Doesn't sound like he's angry. He's just doing a job. We'll find out soon.

• Love 1

No. No. No. No. No. Motherfucker. Dell just did not do that. I should know this was coming because of the fake outs last episode. But seriously, Dell killing Ma Petite. Jimmy, you should have let them kill the sonofabitch.

I swear to God, if Dell doesn't die horribly, I am going to be more than slightly miffed.

• Love 15

Again, my knack for making bad predictions....still in tact.  I really thought Dell was going to do something to Jimmy, instead first,he goes for Amazon Eve, not too smart there Del....and when that doesn't work... oh no, not Ma Petit again!(what is this, everyone just walks into her tent while she sleeps!)   This time she really dies. Oh, that was terrible, the cracking sound.  RIP little lady. Did you see her in the open when she was playing the little hand cymbals? :)

But that was awesome when Eve kicked his ass! Don't mess with an Amazon.

Bette looks good with the blonde hair. But you are no Eve Arden.  (if you are old like me, you know who she is)

I loved when Elsa called Dot "little miss sour face."

That was a holy shit moment with the reveal of Penny's tattooed face. Oh man, I couldn't wait to see what that guy did to her, but I really didn't expect a whole face tatted up.  And to make it worse, the hair! She was like, bald in the middle with crazy hair on the sides.   What kind of sicko father is that guy?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 5

Ugh, stupid Dell, why couldn't he just take  seal boy and why can't that dude kill one of the freaks himself if  he's got a gun?

That dude is a fucking coward. He doesn't have the nerve to kill anyone himself. He has to have someone else to do it. After Dell got his ass kicked, he had to go after Ma Petite. She was the only one innocent and trusting enough not to be on her guard.

Cowards, the both of them, and I hate them even more than Elsa.

I changed my mind, I want both those assholes buried alive. That's the most horrible thing I can think of. Even Dandy is too good of a fate for them

I changed my mind again. Where is Edward Mordrake when you need him? .

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 9
Why can't that dude kill one of the freaks himself if  he's got a gun?

IMHO, Stanley is a cowardly piece of scum who would always rather someone else did his dirty work.

RIP Ma Petite. You were, as someone said in the previous episode thread, the one true innocent in the freak show.

• Love 4

I usually watch the show first and then come here, but I knew I wouldn't get to my DVR playback until tomorrow night and I couldn't wait to see what happened and so I checked in here first. And I find out that Ma Petite is killed?  Oh no!  I think I may have to fast forward over that part. 

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

Watching Eve beat the crap out of Dell was very satisfying. Did she reach for a discus on her shelf? That must have hurt! Amazon Eve is my favorite. From what we've seen of her, it seems to me that because of her size, she feels that she has to be extra polite and ladylike. But apparently she'll also take a bitch down, if she has to.

• Love 18

I don't know, I didn't have much of a reaction to Ma Petite's death.  I didn't know enough about her to care about her.  We've learned a lot about some of the characters, but I don't think we know anything about her, do we? 

But, why couldn't Dell kill Dennis O'Hare (I don't know the character's name) rather than one of the "freaks?"  And what did Dennis O'Hare have on him, exactly?  That he was gay?  Was there proof of that?  Maybe I zoned out when he was in the process of blackmailing Dell.

• Love 3

Only bright spot in the episode was Paul's reaction to his girlfriend's disfigurement. I was so afraid that he would reject her now that she isn't pretty anymore. Daddy was a sicko, but also stupid--there was always the chance that she would come crawling back once the reality of the freak show life sunk in. And damn--he gave her a split tongue like a snake?

I still don't understand why Dell didn't kill his blackmailer, but I guess the fact that he's a coward at heart answers that question.

My take on Ma Petite's trust is that she has always been loved, cosseted and protected by the people around her. Plus, she knew Dell and didn't know of his dark side.

• Love 5

We saw Ma Petite in her own tent at least twice, right? I guess she only slept in Elsa's tent when Elsa wants to have raucous sex a few feet away from her.

I usually watch the show first and then come here, but I knew I wouldn't get to my DVR playback until tomorrow night and I couldn't wait to see what happened and so I checked in here first. And I find out that Ma Petite is killed?  Oh no!  I think I may have to fast forward over that part. 

Do yourself a favor and fast-forward over the death scene, and the very end of the episode, where you see her body.

• Love 4

Only bright spot in the episode was Paul's reaction to his girlfriend's disfigurement. I was so afraid that he would reject her now that she isn't pretty anymore.

Paul made it all about him, which wasn't cool. But yay, he's alive!

• Love 2

Poor Ma Petite. I think with the foreshawdowing last week is wasn't much of a surprise but it was hard to watch. Go Amazon Eve! Now Desiree won't be able to have the operation. What the hell is daddy's story? We have to find out what made him so cruel to his daughter! Finally, what did the Nirvana song symbolize? Is it just the title, "Come as You Are" or the lyrics?

What did everyone think about the Nirvana song Jimmy sang?

Thought the Jimmy at Dandy's house scene to get the girls was a little anticlimactic only because I thought they'd be a bit more confrontation,mainly something physical. And I guess I just didn't think Bette/Dot would go off with Jimmy so easily. But yay that Bette chose her sister.

That was something different when they did that thing with Elsa then Dot with the black background reciting what their letters said. It looked like they were floating heads!

For a moment I thought the bartender that Dell beat the crap out of was going to tell him he saw Andy leaving with another guy.

The manner of the doctor's death and its aftermath was incredibly poor. Why would he implicate all the freaks in his suicide, especially given the humanity he saw in Ethel and reflected back to her?

I don't think I was listening very well and forgot, did he leave a letter?  Was that his wife?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

And yet, by killing Denis O'Hare (still can't remember his character's name), Del could become an instant hero and solidify his hold over the Freak Show and usurp power from Elsa. After all, he would control the narrative and could truthfully tell them, "This guy was here to collect you like trophies."

The manner of the doctor's death and its aftermath was incredibly poor. Why would he implicate all the freaks in his suicide, especially given the humanity he saw in Ethel and reflected back to her? And if he - apparently the only doctor in town - did finger the freaks so directly in his death, how on earth would this news not have reached the freak show encampment, either because of gossip (didn't the town decide they liked the freaks after Jimmy saved the kidnapped victims from Twisty?? Wouldn't that be kind of a big deal for them to hear?) or because the police would show up with questions?

I don't think he implicated the freaks.I think his daughter just lashed out at them. She said something that made me think she was not her father's favorite. Or at least, she thought that. I thought it was funny when she told the ladies he took a hammer and destroyed both his hands. If he does one, how does he then do the other?

• Love 9
  • Yay!  to Amazon Eve kicking ass. 
  • Also, I was so glad that Evan got to do some stuff this episode. I liked the bar scenes with Del. For one thing, though I think there were some scenes earlier this season where they did an effective job showing Jimmy's desire not be treated like a freak (notably,  the lunch counter scene), so much it was him *telling* us about it. Plus, he's been so bogged down in the rushed romance with Maggie lately. So, I really like his quieter monologue about feeling normal for that short time in his life when he was always wearing gloves. And even though Del is the absolute worst, I can see why Jimmy would deceive himself into believing Del could be a decent dad. 
  • Plus, "Come As You Are" wasn't all that, but I like the callback to Tate. And I thought that it was funny Elsa had such a bitchface on during that whole scene. Like seriously, no one can even do a number without her having her own "little miss sour face" reaction? 
  • Honestly, I thought I could handle it, but watching Ma Petite struggle and her body go limp. Terrible! Everyone is right, I hope the worst things happen to Del. 
  • I'm proud of Bette for leaving Dandy for her sister and thought she was kind of hilarious after getting her makeover. But I guess that hasn't swayed Dot one bit, has it? Seems crazy she would trust Elsa. Then again, it's still hard to see why she thinks the surgery is a possibility. 
  • I know it's ridiculous but I missed Dandy and Gloria after their one scene.

Though from the preview, Dandy: I know I'm sick mother. Gloria: No, you're just spirited a boy. Or something to that effect. Also, she might be willing to kill for him? Can't wait!

ETA: 

where they apparently spoke on the drive back from Dandy's house.

I feel so cheated we didn't get this scene, honestly. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 4

The only way I can make sense of the doctor's daughter is that she was dumb enough to believe that her father crushed his own hands somehow, and then she heard from people in the town that her father treated some sideshow freaks, so she concluded that he must have killed himself (and crushed his hands!) because he was so disgusted by the freaks.

And yet, by killing Denis O'Hare (still can't remember his character's name), Del could become an instant hero and solidify his hold over the Freak Show and usurp power from Elsa. After all, he would control the narrative and could truthfully tell them, "This guy was here to collect you like trophies."

The manner of the doctor's death and its aftermath was incredibly poor. Why would he implicate all the freaks in his suicide, especially given the humanity he saw in Ethel and reflected back to her? And if he - apparently the only doctor in town - did finger the freaks so directly in his death, how on earth would this news not have reached the freak show encampment, either because of gossip (didn't the town decide they liked the freaks after Jimmy saved the kidnapped victims from Twisty?? Wouldn't that be kind of a big deal for them to hear?) or because the police would show up with questions?

I'm not trying to defend the stupidity of the Dell storyline - but I think we're supposed to believe that Dell won't go after Stanley because he knows Stanley has a gun.

• Love 1

No. No. No. No. No. Motherfucker. Dell just did not do that. I should know this was coming because of the fake outs last episode. But seriously, Dell killing Ma Petite. Jimmy, you should have let them kill the sonofabitch.

I swear to God, if Dell doesn't die horribly, I am going to be more than slightly miffed.

Seriously. I want revenge.

• Love 6

So the daughter thinks the good doctor smashed both of his hands... How did he smash the second one? (I know she was upset and likely close-minded since she wasn't her father's favorite and he was so kind, but it still made me pause. Too many crime drama shows, I think.)

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3
Ugh, stupid Dell, why couldn't he just take  seal boy and why can't that dude kill one of the freaks himself if  he's got a gun?

Paul didn't do anything! And Stanley couldn't use him for the same reason he can't shoot any of the freaks--signs of obvious violence to the corpse would probably mean the museum rejecting the "specimen."  (Remember, Paul got stabbed.) He could explain poor Ma Petite's demise by saying she tripped or fell off something and broke her neck. 

Typical bully--Dell could only go through with the violence when attacking somebody so much smaller then he was.

Nice to see Amazon Eve have something to do--and them calling out having to put up with men "looking up their skirts." Yes, being a woman makes it extra bad. They're vulnerable to an extra kind of violence that even male freaks, who are in such constant danger themselves, don't have to deal with.

So the daughter thinks the good doctor smashed both of his hands... How did he smash the second one?

And then fire a gun? Did he accidentally fall on an ice pick fifteen times too? The cops in Jupiter couldn't find King Kong on Free Banana Day at the Piggly Wiggly.

• Love 23

I don't understand why everyone is fine with Elsa stabbing Paul, and then lying about calling a doctor.  No wonder she controls these people so easily.

I like Paul and I don't mind Penny, but I don't understand how the bizarre storyline with her father has to do with anything.  I think a doctor could repair her tongue, if she sought treatment soon enough.  If I was Penny, I would be on every street corner telling people what her father - with the excellent reputation - did.

I'm sad about Ma Petite, but better her than Jimmy.  In fact, I can't wait to see Elsa's grief at the loss of her little pet.

It's ridiculous that they want us to believe that Del couldn't find Stanley alone, and kill him.  I think MC put enough emotion into the scene to show regret.  I guess it's something that he didn't try for Ethel or Des. 

I continue to be amazed by how thoroughly unlikeable RM continues to make his gay characters.  I think the only way he gets away with it, is because he's gay.  I really think the show would be getting criticism otherwise.

• Love 3
Honestly, I thought I could handle it, but watching Ma Petite struggle and her body go limp. Terrible! Everyone is right, I hope the worst things happen to Del

I am just now posting because I just...it's just a damn TV show but that scene got me, it just got me...I just kept chanting "No, no, no..." throughout the entire scene all the way to the end.

The way she reached up to him so trusting, just like the beautiful little princess she was, so filled with love and light. She was precious and beautiful...to kill her would be the same as killing a delicate butterfly, totally defenseless and helpless.

Dell, the very epitome of evil, of cowardliness, of selfishness, of wretchedness, killed Ma Petite, the very image of wholesomeness, of beauty and grace and the belief that there is only good in the world, that the monsters out to get us only live in dreams and fairytale stories. They don't bring you pretty dresses and then snap your neck like a twig.

When her body went limp...that wasn't supposed to happen, that should not have happened. Her voice too high to be heard screaming for help, pleading for him to stop, her tiny hands could d nothing to fight back, For a second with his scenes with Jimmy I thought maybe, just maybe, Dell might pass the test, the true test of strength, doing what is right regardless of the outcome.

This is the sort of death, the sort of murder which to me is the height, the pinnacle of horror, of the disturbing and disgusting and the unimaginable.

Dell needs to become Dandy's new plaything, somehow some way, let him be hacked to pieces while still alive. He can start by chopping off the fingers from the paws which murdered Ma Petite, one by one.

• Love 17
I continue to be amazed by how thoroughly unlikeable RM continues to make his gay characters.  I think the only way he gets away with it, is because he's gay.  I really think the show would be getting criticism otherwise.

I actually agree. It's hard to point specifically gay characters as being represented as especially horrible, since a lot of the characters are horrible people. But some of things RM and co. put in the mouth of their gay characters just make me cringe. Like Stanley mentioning how Dell must be tired of having shit under his finger nails.  Also can't remember specifics, but i remember having similar reactions to some of the lines given to Chad and Patrick in S1. I know the show is deliberately shocking on a number of points and means the line to come off as cutting and  ironically funny, but I have to admit, I'm  not sold on RM's presentation of gay characters either. Though, I also don't trust the way RM handles most things, so I'm kind of biased like that. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 3

I actually agree. It's hard to point specifically gay characters as being represented as especially horrible, since a lot of the characters are horrible people. But some of things RM and co. put in the mouth of their gay characters just make me cringe. Like Stanley mentioning how Dell must be tired of having shit under his finger nails.  Also can't remember specifics, but i remember having similar reactions to some of the lines given to Chad and Patrick in S1. I know the show is deliberately shocking on a number of points and means the line to come off as cutting and  ironically funny, but I have to admit, I'm  not sold on RM's presentation of gay characters either. Though, I also don't trust the way RM handles most things, so I'm kind of biased like that. 

I think there may be some significant blowback if the season continues this way - with the three most despicable characters being Stanley (a gay man), Dell (a gay man), and Dandy (who's being depicted with every closet case stereotype in the book).

• Love 1

Almost completely unrelated to the show but... Stanley walked away in one scene whistling a tune. THAT is the same jaunty tune my Whirlpool washer plays at the end of a cycle. I thought it was made up, but apparently it's a real song. I've tried to search to learn what the song is but haven't been able to find it. Does anyone recognize the tune?

And on topic. Yes, I'm sure you can't just dunk something in formaldehyde without doing all sorts of thigns to it first, like removing organs. So that scene at the end was pretty stupid. Plus, wouldn't you want to display the organs too? or sell them to the medical community?

• Love 1

What did everyone think about the Nirvana song Jimmy sang?

I think we should stick with Bowie. There are so many interesting numbers in his catalog that fit in with this season's theme and can be tarted up in better ways than Jimmy playing rock star.

The real freaks here are the people without obvious mutations. What kind of man does that to his own daughter, and so gleefully? There had better be retribution.....

• Love 3

One hell of an episode that was.

Really want both Dell and Stanley to meet grisly endings. Penny's dad too for that matter.

Ma Petite did not deserve that fate.

Loved Bette and Dot negotiating terms with Elsa though.

Jimmy's version of Come As You Are was okay. He needs to wise up about Maggie though.

Great scenes with Ethel, Desiree, Eve and Suzi too.

Was glad that Dandy and Gloria were kept to one scene this week as well, 8/10

• Love 1

I was cheering at the screen when Eve was opening up a can of whoop ass (as we say in the south) on Dell!  Now that is girl power.  I heart Amazon Eve!  I do kinda kinda wish they would give her a more in depth character story line.  I like that she is strong and able to take care of herself but IDk, I've seen interviews of her where the person giving the interview just disrespects her and doesn't treat her like a lady.

I am in agreement with everyone who now HATES Dell & Stanley but you gotta admit it speaks volumes of their acting abilities.  To generate this much hate for them--wow.  I know a lot of it is in the writing but both Mike Chiklis and Dennis O'Hare deserve a large amount of praise.

Dumb question:  Was that really Evan Peters singing that Nirvana song?   He seemed to be doing an imitation of Kurt Cobain and not actually singing it for real (the way Jessica Lange has done with her songs).  Enh either way I say no to it as well.  Don't really like karaoke night at the freak show anymore. 

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 3

And what did Dennis O'Hare have on him, exactly?  That he was gay?  Was there proof of that?  Maybe I zoned out when he was in the process of blackmailing Dell.

I believe Stanley pointed out that there were multiple witnesses that saw Del at the gay bar, since Del made a big scene when he beat up the bartender.

Armchair Critic, I thought the same thing...why would they leave the dress on her body?

Ma Petite's death was incredibly sad, but I found the storyline with the creepy dad having Penny's face tattooed and mutilated to be the only "horror" element on the episode this week.

• Love 4

That was really Evan singing. I liked it. He has not been singing as long as say Jessica Lange has so I thought he did fine with it.

Despite the fact that I hate Dell I enjoyed his scene's with Jimmy. Evan and Michael do work well together.

I feel Angela has been wasted so far this season. I just feel she did more last season.

I am glad Maggie was only on a small amount. She may not have killed anyone but she is aware of what Stanley wants and will do and she has done nothing to stop it.

• Love 8
She may not have killed anyone but she is aware of what Stanley wants and will do and she has done nothing to stop it.

She only seems interested in saving herself and Jimmy not the other performers.  Say speaking of killing freaks, why doesn't Stanley just do the job himself?  He's the one with the gun.  Also aren't the other performers wondering why he's still hanging around?  Is he claiming to be Elsa's manager or something now?