Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E08: Wrinkle In The Plan

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

This is the point in the game where I start to really lose interest, and it goes all the way back to the second season in Australia when Kucha and Ogakor squared off against each other with five members each, and Okagor came out the winner. From that moment on I lost interest in watching for the same reason I've lost interest here: I have no more desire to see Jeremy make his way all the way to the finale in the dominant alliance than I did with Colby Donaldson. They are both smug  and arrogant and I can't stomach the thought of them steamrolling their way to the end because their side won.

Not that there are a whole lot of people to root for, mind you, but I found Josh and Reed far less offensive than I find Jeremy, Missy, Natalie (having watched her twice on Amazing Race), and Baylor. That's not a dominant alliance I want to see pick off the rest of the tribe.

• Love 3

random thoughts:

I despise Keith.

Stop calling it a "hidden" immunity idol.

Much as I dislike Missy, I thought it grotesquely unfair that she had no shot at getting food in the reward challenge.

Thought it funny when somebody was discussing the possibility that Josh might be lying to them and said "You wouldn't expect that from a pastor's son," or something to that effect.   Really?  Would you expect a pastor's son to be gay and on Broadway either?   Idiot.

I'm waiting for the episode where Alec trips and accidentally drives a sharpened stick into his brain.

The challenges all seem the same now.   Enough with the puzzle shit.  Play dodgeball or musical fucking chairs. 

Why don't they have soda at the reward feasts?

I think the hermit crabs are the souls of past Survivors.

• Love 8

I could guess that the schoolyard pick could have gone:

Captains Reed vs Josh.

In alternating order, the next picks are Jeremy, Jon, Wes, Alec, Keith, Jaclyn, Natalie. Leaving Baylor and Missy as perceived weakest physical players. Baylor picked since she's younger than her mom.

[/speculation]

Small blessing is that the taco reward wasn't co-sponsored by Mountain Dew (or even Taco Bell). Although from the gastric after-effects, it probably wouldn't have mattered to the competitors.

As for Belch&Fart-Gate, I would tend to agree with Jeremy's analysis of the situation, especially in the Survivor context where you're trying to maintain votes. Yes, Jaclyn's switch had more to do with feeling left out vs feeling grossed out, but any activity that makes your tribemates feel disgusted at you is going to hurt you.

Memory-based Immunity challenges like this episode's are a real yawner.

Fairly standard TC vote-off. Baylor racking up the votes-against count (didn't Aras have the record?). And now we have two idols held in secret.

• Love 1
Thought it funny when somebody was discussing the possibility that Josh might be lying to them and said "You wouldn't expect that from a pastor's son," or something to that effect.

I think Baylor said it.  I don't dislike her, but it always bugs me when people think that someone isn't allowed to lie in Survivor based on their professed religious beliefs.  It's a game that relies on an assortment of strategies, including sometimes lying.  In the confines of the game, the lying isn't unethical in the way it would be outside the game.  Yet every other season, someone whines that someone else is a hypocrite for lying while being religious.

• Love 5

Memory-based Immunity challenges like this episode's are a real yawner.

These are the only challenges I can play along with at home.  I like them!  They are also the only ones I would probably ever have a prayer at!   

Yet every other season, someone whines that someone else is a hypocrite for lying while being religious.

Or for being a cop. Or a mom.

I know a lot of preacher's kids and they are, as a group, a pretty raunchy lot.  Second only to actual preachers.  I kid you not.

• Love 5

Baylor didn't say anything about being surprised that a Christian or pastor's son would lie. What she said was that she was surprised that a Christian would give a gift with the expectation of getting one in return. This apparently is not the Christianity that Baylor was taught.

• Love 3

This season needs a satisfying blindside to happen to Jaclyn or Jon, the ones that think they have all the power can't say Jeremy since an alliance plus Jon wants him out anyway. Don't know why people are clamoring to them for votes instead of trying to vote them out because they see themselves as the "power" couple. Any good strategist would try to make that happen and if there's anyone with brains left which I think Reed & Natalie would be able to successfully pull it off. 

Reed or Natalie can ride the rest of them as goats right up until the end, because that's what the rest of them are is goats, especially Alec & Baylor. 

I think Missy is just as bad or not even worse than Baylor for enabling that type of behavior in her daughter. You want your child to stand strong and survive on their own but Baylor just comes off lazy and entitled and if the people are voted off are saying more negative than positive about her than it says something. 

Jeremy comes off bad too with women always needing protecting and so fragile that they can't stand a few burps and farts. If he does that stuff in the firehouse I'm sure there's at least one firefighter who would find it disgusting. Since you're in the confines of a building and only so many places you can go to get away from the smell, at least outside you have plenty of places to go to to get away from it. Still didn't see any chauvinistic behavior from Wes, cause editors didn't show any damning evidence against him. May have to get rid of Alec to truly see if Wes is that way. It was mostly Alec with wanting to wave his stench over to Baylor and telling her to dump his trash and for women to stay around the fireplace.

For Survivor to be a good season you need a villain, hero, underdog, strategist, swing voter, idiot, lazy ass, & goats. Last season had all that with Tony, Spencer, Tasha, Morgan, Kass, J'Tia, each one of them filled one of those roles. This season there's no villain, hero, underdog, or a strategist. You have swing voters, idiots, lazy asses, and goats this season. Which missing the main 3 in bold.

• Love 1

I'd say he should have been paying more attention to those morons in his alliance and reading how their behavior was coming across to others. I noticed during the entire gross segment, he and Reed were just quietly sitting by. Instead he should have pulled the guys aside and tried to talk some sense into them. That's a key aspect of the game, recognizing if your alliance mates may be about to screw everything up and try to diffuse the situation as best as possible.

That's what I meant. I noticed them sitting by the side.

I am not a fan of Missy, but I gotta give her props for refraining from punching Keith in the face when he told her if Baylor were his kid he'd whoop her.

For serious. There is no man or woman who would EVER say to me that my kid deserved a whooping and walk away without something broken. I don't care if it's for a million dollars. Who TALKS to people like that? And Baylor isn't even doing anything egregious. Missy should have had a little more of a backbone though. Keith will never learn if no one ever stands up to him.

Cosign on how beautiful Reed gets the longer the season goes. And hey, as a fan, I could never hate anyone who used to date Clay Aiken!

I am shocked - shocked!- at myself with how much I pull for Natalie. I never ever saw that coming. Their first boot ouster on TAR was one of the greatest things ever. If nothing else, maybe this time away from each other will bring on some changes in how they behave in the world.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
ETA: Oh, I forgot to mention how badly Josh and Reed were playing in this ep. Josh's pitch to Baylor was so embarrassing. Then you have the two of them just sitting there while the men in their alliance treat the women like shit. Idiots. Also, I'm pretty sure Reed legit rolled his eyes after the two of them terribly tried to fake being happy for Jeremy. Awful socials games from those two.

Ha. I caught the eyeroll too. Between that and Jeremy constantly giving everyone the side-eye, it's no wonder all the alliances are out in the open. None of these people have any kind of poker face at all.

I think the hermit crabs are the souls of past Survivors.

I love that so much.

The poster was likely referencing the hilarious moment earlier this season when Reed and Josh went against each other in the sumo wrestling Immunity Challenge and Drew being the idiot that he was, yelled for Josh, until Jon pointed out to him it was Reed that was on their tribe. 

• Love 6

And ice-cold bottled water!

Also - did Jon tell Jaclyn he had found the HII and we just didn't see it?  Or is he keeping that little gem secret even from her?

When Jon got back from EI he put his arm around Jaclyn and whispered "I have the idol" in her ear.  Big mistake! :)

I'm sure they probably do have water (not sure about soda) at the reward challenges but Probst probably figures that no one would really gets excited about, probably because they just assume that goes without saying, so he prefers to mention the beer and margaritas, etc. 

Alec's playground pick up game had me howling in laughter. He wants to get it on so badly, and yet is so unable to be anything other than a 7 year old boy. I think Baylor sees right through him, she seemed to choose her words very carefully when she said she was a "little sister he liked to bug". She's probably avoiding rebuffing him openly so it doesn't turn into a a Drew-Kelly situation. 

Once you get used to spitting, being unable to feels really gross, I'll admit. But I don't know what hinterlands Keith is from where you A) spit on a surface that's not hot enough to bake it off almost instantly and B) hock loogies where you want. Snot does not go in frequently traveled areas, dude, especially when no one's got shoes on! Darn him for making me take Missy's side, because I would have straight drug his ass to the ocean for saying he'd have whupped my kid. He felt a little bit of power post-merge, and it went all to his head. 

Jaclyn made the right choice. She was correct that having to duke it out with those guys after eliminating the other alliance would have been next to impossible. lolmanageyourwimmin is the worst alliance strategy ever, Josh it not much of a mastermind if he watched that all go down and figured it'd be ok. Jeremy's alliance is more tenuous anyway, so when J&J are inevitably turned on, they have a better chance of picking up randoms to survive. They need to stop making out every 2s though, esp now that Josh and Reed are broken up.

Jeremy's side eyes are basically my favorite thing ever. His mean mugging and chomping his tacos while Keith fluttered his eyelids and did his "who, me?" act was priceless. I like how he and Natalie work their sides without the constant need to clique up together every moment like some of the other suballiances do. 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 9

The poster was likely referencing the hilarious moment earlier this season when Reed and Josh went against each other in the sumo wrestling Immunity Challenge and Drew being the idiot that he was, yelled for Josh, until Jon pointed out to him it was Reed that was on their tribe. 

Ah....you're right, I'm sure that's what they meant.  Thanks for the explanation!

Baylor didn't say anything about being surprised that a Christian or pastor's son would lie. What she said was that she was surprised that a Christian would give a gift with the expectation of getting one in return. This apparently is not the Christianity that Baylor was taught.

And given that Josh told us and presumably his fellow contestants that he and Reed are so devout that they're abstaining until they're married, I can see her surprise about this. I don't share it, but I understand her point and don't think it's stupid.

• Love 1

I think if Keith was a smart and cunning player or hell even a merely good player, he would have whipped out that idol after the votes and given it to Josh.  I know it's hard to see beyond using it strictly for yourself, but that could have been a turning point.  I just keep thinking that's what somebody who really has game like Parvati would have done.  Alas, I knew he wouldn't  even think of it. 

I think Keith would only ever give his Idol to Wes and even then I am wondering if he would do that.  The thing is giving the Idol to Josh would not really do much, because they would basically be in a tie situation the next week.  Which means that someone would have to be convinced to flip. 

Could it be done?

Yes, but maybe Keith did not want to take that risk or maybe he did not even think about that possibility.

Please add my name to the list to find out how that team selection worked for the reward challenge. I really need to know who was responsible for creating Team "Snowball's Chance in Hell" so I can laugh at them. 

Yeah just to echo everyone else, the moment I saw that team I had to laugh because I think we all knew they had no chance to win.

Cool, walk away from the camp and spit in an area that is not close to where you live or people walk.

Yeah I mean they must not go to the bathroom (For lack of better words because well there are no bathrooms out there) in camp so how hard is it to step outside of camp to spit.

• Love 2

Ugh, I can not deal with these people thinking women are some fragile species that need to be shielded from the basic realities of life. 

How about just thinking about having some decency and manners, and shielding others from the basic realities of their digestive systems? I don't care if they wrap it in "protect the wimmins;" I've been one and around them for a long-ass time, and have yet to come across a group who, following a great meal will erupt with a big nasty belch and then taste and name it. Or lean to the side in order to produce a room-clearing ass bomb then laugh.  

As for Jeremy, to me Jeremy himself has shown some sexist/chauvinistic behavior, so it doesn't surprise me he thinks women are so fucking fragile that they can't take a fart. Oh, Jeremy, thanks SO much for only acting like a gross, sexist douchebag when you're around all your male friends, whatta hero you are!

Yes, thank you, Jeremy!

Personally I appreciate the sentiment that says save the gross stuff for people who want to indulge. Just because gas happens doesn't mean you have to celebrate it, and turn it into a nasty fucking experience for everyone next to you. There's understanding it happens, and minimizing and even excusing yourself, and there's turning it into a purposely offensive situation.

I get that there are some chicks think that's funny, and good for you, stay with the dudes who dutch oven you. Most prefer the dudes like Jeremy (and my husband) who understand that just because shit happens, doesn't mean you have to act like a delighted three year old who just realized it was his shit and invite everyone to see. UGH, indeed. :/

• Love 17

I am not a fan of Missy, but I gotta give her props for refraining from punching Keith in the face when he told her if Baylor were his kid he'd whoop her. Speaking of, I'm super over Keith.

I didn't like Missy at all, but the last couple of weeks she is growing on me a little.  I agree that Keith's comment was outrageous. So, Keith would give his 20 year old daughter "a whoopin", for not doing enough work around camp?   If that happened Wes would go to jail...to visit his Dad.

• Love 8

At least Jeff could have told us who the captains were.  I'm not sure if the captain was the first person Jeff named on each team, I would think not.  I'm a bit surprised that Missy wasn't chosen.  I would have left Josh out.  Missy is possibly stronger than he is and she seems to have a lot of determination.  Let's see.  One team has Jeremy (looks to be the physically strongest person once Rocker left), Reed (looks fit), a firefighter, his bruiser looking troll-son, and Natalie, the physically strongest woman.  The other team has Jon, Alec (who probably isn't as strong as he thinks he is), Jaclyn, Baylor (weak) and Josh (really really weak).  What were they thinking?

I did think it a bit unfair that Missy had zero chance, and didn't even get to go to Exile Island for a chance at the Idol clue.  She should have at least gotten to go with Jon. I like Jon so I'm happy he found the Idol.  I think he will be needing it next.  With numbers at 6 to 4, I could easily see someone flipping and Jon getting blindsided with the Idol in his pocket.

So happy that Josh is gone.  Hated the nearly weekly overload of Josh Josh Josh.  All Josh, all the time.  He played too hard, he was clearly the leader, and if he had been more subtle he probably would still be there.  Hated how he tried to strongarm Baylor with his repeated "You owe me".  How about being nicer to them and entreating them to join him, instead of trying to svengali her?  Ass.

I agree with this.  Basically he was holding it over her and subtly threatening her with his repeated "you owe me".

Alec is just as big of an ass as Drew was.  I'm sure their parents are WAY proud.  He hands Baylor his trash and says "here you go".  She's confused.  He says it's trash, and that she needs to throw it in the ocean.  Dick.  Can't believe she actually did it.  He seemed to imply that he caught the fish so she had to "earn her keep" by being his slave.  I would have poured the bones and trash over his head.

I've been strangely fascinated with this idea of them taking dumps in the ocean ever since it was mentioned on these boards a few weeks ago.  I clearly remember in past seasons they had to make their own outhouse area, and wasn't the reward in one season a fully functioning outhouse?  Now they just poop in the ocean.  I'm wondering how far out they go.  What if the tide brings it in?  Do they go out there with others?  They'll be having a conversation and then all of a sudden someone just goes "aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" in relief?  Yuck.

• Love 4

Missy should have had a little more of a backbone though. Keith will never learn if no one ever stands up to him.

If Missy had more of a backbone, Baylor wouldn't be the entitled, manipulative, spoiled brat that she is. While I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to raise their kids, it would be difficult for me to spend more than 5 minutes with Missy and Baylor without wanting to gouge someone's eyes out. Not my own, of course.

• Love 4

If Missy had more of a backbone, Baylor wouldn't be the entitled, manipulative, spoiled brat that she is. While I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to raise their kids, it would be difficult for me to spend more than 5 minutes with Missy and Baylor without wanting to gouge someone's eyes out. Not my own, of course.

I am not a big fan or hater of Baylor, but when has she shown herself to be an "entitled, manipulative, spoiled brat".  If anything she hasn't been manipulative enough to play Survivor, as she felt a misguided sense of loyalty to Josh and couldn't really lie to him the past couple of episodes, when it would have helped her game and her alliance. (Makes her a better person than Survivor player in my book). 

The moronic males (Keith, Wes, and Alec) in the camp claim she isn't pulling her weight, but I'm not sure I'd take their word on that.  Is she really lying around doing nothing or is she not jumping up quickly enough when Alec commands her to take out his personal trash?

• Love 9

The fault lies in casting couples; it limited their choices.  Jeff taking responsibility for Julie's exit tells me they are not going to do this again.  

Enough with the creative casting.  Stick to those who apply, no pairs and no recruiting.  Please. 

Or if they are going to do this again, cast pairs in which both members want to be there.

• Love 2

Being a misogynist twit got Drew booted and totally submarined Alec’s alliance?  That is just.  So.  Awesome.  While I think BvW is a waste with non-returnee’s, (and thus just a bad idea, as I am anti-returnee,) it does create interesting dynamics.  If Jon and Jacyln had been a showmance, or just in a strong alliance, I don’t think he decides to get rid of Josh; he’d think he’d be able to smooth it over.  Since that isn’t the nature of the relationship - and I get the feeling she “put her foot down,” - that ‘typical’ Survivor action was changed.

(I am also willing to consider that Jon didn’t want to “go against Jeremy,” when he couldn’t vote Jeremy out.)

Huyopa (green)

1. Jeremy (11)  Million dollar quote, narrator edit, and shown as the leader of the alliance that came out on top.  Outside of idol shenanigan's, this season just became much more predictable.

2. Jon (7)  Upon reflection, Jacyln’s “million dollar quote,” last week was phrased as being about both her and Jon.  (We’ve had MDQ’s uttered about other contestants, rather than by them in the past, most notably Malcom and Russell S. talking about Denise at tribal council.)  Given that Jon has an HII and a tertiary narrator role, I’m willing to overlook the danger he is in from being in a strong pair.

3. Baylor (8) Taking the goat position from Alec.  While I am not a Baylor “fan,” I cannot state how gleeful I am at the prospect of Alec living out the rest of his stay at the bottom of the tribal pecking order.

4. Jaclyn (3) Not getting the edit I would expect from a F3 member.  The final six is looking to be very interesting if it follows the Pagong chalk.

5. Natalie (10) Her edit keeps getting smaller and smaller, not good, as I find myself rooting for her.

6. Missy (9)  I don’t need to explain why I think she’s the bottom of the top faction, do I?

7. Reed (5)  Unless he blows up back at camp after Josh’s ouster, his being mellow, polite, (and not so misogynistic,) should allow him the best chance of the bottom group to sneak past the top six.  With some well timed immunity wins.  And some screw ups from the folk above.  Or idol shenanigans.

8. Keith (2)  I don’t even care that he has the idol anymore.  He hasn’t shown the social (graces) gameplay to understand what his best play with it will be on his own, and while I can see him telling Wes, I don’t see him plotting with Reed (his best, last chance,) to figure out the most optimal way to play it.

9. Wes (6) A non-entity on the wrong side of the numbers.

10. Alec (4) Bwa-ha-ha-ha

OUT Josh (1) Josh was comfortable with his numbers, and didn't spend the time to make sure that his fellow alliance members were not alienating the most important potential swing vote within his alliance.  (Perhaps this is an unshown downside to BvW - was he spending too much time with Reed?)  His ouster also explains the heavy dose of Josh TH’s we received so far this season; without a true ‘villain,’ and with very few charismatic narrators, they needed to use all the footage they had of him, while they had him.

• Love 1

This is the point in the game where I start to really lose interest, and it goes all the way back to the second season in Australia when Kucha and Ogakor squared off against each other with five members each, and Okagor came out the winner. From that moment on I lost interest in watching for the same reason I've lost interest here: I have no more desire to see Jeremy make his way all the way to the finale in the dominant alliance than I did with Colby Donaldson. They are both smug  and arrogant and I can't stomach the thought of them steamrolling their way to the end because their side won.

Not that there are a whole lot of people to root for, mind you, but I found Josh and Reed far less offensive than I find Jeremy, Missy, Natalie (having watched her twice on Amazing Race), and Baylor. That's not a dominant alliance I want to see pick off the rest of the tribe.

Well, I'm happy, because this was the alliance I wanted to see prevail.  Why anyone would've wanted the other side to prevail, especially after what they showed in this episode, is beyond me.

Really, my interest in this season depended on which side won the showdown in this episode.  And when Jeremy, Natalie, Missy, and Baylor got Jon and Jaclyn's votes to get rid of Josh, my interest was locked.

Now Jon just has to lose once the other men are Pagonged, and I'll be okay with anyone left after that. :)

Edited by Paron Xanthis
  • Love 6

Is there a vegetarian in the cast?  For the first time, I heard Jeff mention a vegetarian option in the food reward.

I noticed that too and wondered about it. I didn't see anyone really react to the fact that there were vegetarian options so it was even weirder.

Still didn't see any chauvinistic behavior from Wes, cause editors didn't show any damning evidence against him. May have to get rid of Alec to truly see if Wes is that way.

Yea, even in the extra clip of Natalie talking about how Baylor is treated she only talks about Alec and Keith. I imagine Wes is maybe 'guilty by association.' But he was raised by Keith, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had some of his asshole tendencies.

Ha. I caught the eyeroll too. Between that and Jeremy constantly giving everyone the side-eye, it's no wonder all the alliances are out in the open. None of these people have any kind of poker face at all.

Yea seriously. It's pretty hilarious.

Alec's playground pick up game had me howling in laughter. He wants to get it on so badly, and yet is so unable to be anything other than a 7 year old boy. I think Baylor sees right through him, she seemed to choose her words very carefully when she said she was a "little sister he liked to bug". She's probably avoiding rebuffing him openly so it doesn't turn into a a Drew-Kelly situation. 

I think you might be on to something here. Alec and Drew are a couple of real charmers.

Edited by peachmangosteen

I am not a big fan or hater of Baylor, but when has she shown herself to be an "entitled, manipulative, spoiled brat". If anything she hasn't been manipulative enough to play Survivor, as she felt a misguided sense of loyalty to Josh and couldn't really lie to him the past couple of episodes, when it would have helped her game and her alliance. (Makes her a better person than Survivor player in my book).

The moronic males (Keith, Wes, and Alec) in the camp claim she isn't pulling her weight, but I'm not sure I'd take their word on that. Is she really lying around doing nothing or is she not jumping up quickly enough when Alec commands her to take out his personal trash?

I cannot comment on her relationship with Keith, Wes and Alec as I do not have an opinion. My opinion with regard to her relationship with her mother, however, is that she is spoiled, manipulative and entitled. In my opinion, she displayed those traits during the challenge in which they went up against each other. The tears, the pouty lips, the hesitation displayed the family dysfunctional dynamic for all to see. In fact, it spoke volumes to me. I am mother to three daughters, all much younger than Baylor, who have been taught to pursue their goals through strength and assertiveness instead of weakness and manipulation. Baylor plays Missy like a fiddle. There are other examples which have facilitated the formation of my opinion but, since it is not my intention to sway others to my belief, and I am typing on a very old tablet, I'll leave it at that. You are welcome to disagree.

Being a misogynist twit got Drew booted and totally submarined Alec’s alliance? That is just. So. Awesome.

Yes!

Edited by SHOgirl
  • Love 2

The show has been sued by hurt players due to questionable conditions in challenges.  They know better than to put them out there in a shit soup.  If nothing else, the camera crew needs sanitary work conditions.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a "no camera zone" area by camp with hand sanitizer, sunscreen, porta-potties, hydrocortizone and antibacterial creams for their bug bites, and all their prescription drugs.

They definitely get sunscreen, malaria pills and their prescription drugs contestants have mentioned they get their on medical box. Besides Stacey who else has sued the show over getting injured? I know Sue Hawk said she thought about it, but decided not too.

I enjoyed the episode and like this season as a whole, though I worry that now that Josh is gone (good move, Jeremy's alliance), it's just going to be Jeremy dominating the game all the way to the end, which isn't as interesting to watch.

I think Josh had the right idea, but ended up working with the wrong people and went about trying to woo Baylor in the wrong way. I'm not sure if it would have even been possible to get her on his side—as she pointed out, he wrote her name down in the first vote—but telling her that she owed him a vote isn't the way to win anyone's heart or mind. He might have had better luck if he had gone for, "I really don't like my allies—if you and your mom vote with Reed, me, Jaclyn, and Jon, then we can take over the game and get rid of the strategic and social threats [Jeremy and Natalie], along with everyone who's been making us miserable here at camp." In fact, he could have tried to solidify a Final Four pact right there, since Missy and Baylor don't seem to be especially well-liked. Mind you, getting that alliance of six would have required him to pay attention to Jaclyn when Jon was away, which he apparently didn't do.

But really, once Jeremy won immunity, Josh was doomed, since he wasn't going to be able to target the person he really needed out of the game. I was surprised he didn't push for Natalie, but maybe he went along with the plan to vote Baylor both for revenge and to try to stay on the good side of his alliance.

I didn't understand Keith's complaint to Missy that every time he asks Baylor to do something, Missy steps in and does it for her. So what? All Keith should care about is getting the help he apparently wants to do the work he feels needs doing. He's there to play against Baylor (and everyone else), not to teach everyone his work ethic. If you think someone is lazy and resent him or her for it, then you're probably not alone, and if you are alone, then maybe you need to rethink the amount of work you're doing for your tribe. I also thought his comment about how, "If [baylor] were my child, I would have whooped [her] at least seven times today already," was all kinds of over the line. It always amazes me how many people don't realize that even if someone isn't in your alliance, you should probably be cordial to them anyway, since they may be well on the jury.

• Love 1

I know some have said that the last Blood vs. Water was boring but personally I enjoyed the season and so for me, I think the format can work just fine. I just think it worked better with half returning players with their loved ones. For one, viewers didn't have to learn and remember 18 new players, there were players who clearly knew how to play the game or at least had been through the experience and in my opinion, the returning players added another layer of complexity to the whole Blood vs. Water element. As I stated above, I really think the problem this season is not the format, the show itself or even the challenges which yes may get repetitive but the fact that these are not sparkling and interesting personalities and to top it off, most don't seem to have a clue how to play the game.

That's why, despite the fact that he annoyed some, I wanted Josh to somehow stick around so maybe there could have been a Tony vs. Spencer type situation with Josh and Jeremy. Spencer was on the wrong side of the numbers and by all accounts should have neen eliminated well early after the merge and he very nearly made it to the end and likely would have won if he'd made it to  the finals. And so, while Tony's constant idol luck was annoying, there was at least the excitement of seeing if Spencer could actually crawl his way to the end with everything going so wrong for him. And let's not mention Kass and her craziness in the mix.

This season it's like what - I just can't see Wes, Alec and even Keith doing anything to stop the pagonging that's coming. And Reed seemingly putting the heat on Keith next week all but guarantees that Jeremy's 7 person alliance will get rid of those four and then maybe hopefully something exciting will happen when they're forced to turn on each other. 

Josh (1) Josh was comfortable with his numbers, and didn't spend the time to make sure that his fellow alliance members were not alienating the most important potential swing vote within his alliance.

I actually don't think Josh felt comfortable at all. You could it see it his body language and mannerisms and even the way he went around trying to get Baylor to side with him came off more desperate than anything. He was clearly nervous and he confirmed in his exit interview that he did not come into the tribal council confident at all and that he never felt confident in the alliance he had made.  

I do think it was a weakness of his game that he did not pick up on how annoying the guys were and more specifically, annoying to Jaclyn so that he could have tried to calm those waters. I mean maybe he did and it wasn't shown but I do think that was a major flaw in his strategy. It actually reminds me of last week, when Julie walked off and was clearly being ostracized and I remembered thinking that I couldn't understand why Josh, who clearly needs numbers and people to flip, didn't go with her and try to butter her up. If he'd gotten to Julie and even convinced her to stay and vote with them, that would have at least created a tie and who knows what would have happened. Josh was clearly a fan of the show and he is a good player, but there were just some things he could have been a lot smarter about. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I didn't understand Keith's complaint to Missy that every time he asks Baylor to do something, Missy steps in and does it for her. So what? All Keith should care about is getting the help he apparently wants to do the work he feels needs doing. 

Yea really. Keith, it's not your job to make Baylor into the type of person you think she should be. If the works getting done, then shut the fuck up and play the game.

As satisfying as this episode was, I feel like we're in for even more boring eps until like F6. The Alec boot ep will be fun though!

For serious. There is no man or woman who would EVER say to me that my kid deserved a whooping and walk away without something broken. I don't care if it's for a million dollars. Who TALKS to people like that? And Baylor isn't even doing anything egregious. Missy should have had a little more of a backbone though. Keith will never learn if no one ever stands up to him.

It was a cowardly and sexist remark.   Repulsive Keith NEVER would have said that to a man.   But Missy's a woman, so he thinks, "I can say anything I damn well want."

• Love 3

The highlight of the episode to me was 40-something Missy (we're around the same age) saying "I've made some bad decisions in my life..."

There are going to be many more bad decisions to come from her, after being on TV and men knowing she's basically a skinny headcase.

I'm sure they probably do have water (not sure about soda) at the reward challenges but Probst probably figures that no one would really gets excited about, probably because they just assume that goes without saying, so he prefers to mention the beer and margaritas, etc. 

Yes, they showed a glass pitcher of  water.  They're idiots for drinking the alcohol, it will dehydrate them.  After drinking warm brown water for so long, I would beeline straight for the crystal clear cold water.

I think Keith would only ever give his Idol to Wes and even then I am wondering if he would do that.  

I don't see Keith falling on his sword like parents in past seasons.  He seems the type to call Wes a pussy and whoop him for showing weakness.

• Love 4

Quote: "Remember the episode where Josh and Keith were on exile together and they both talked about how they were surprised that they got along so well?  There was a lot of discussion afterward about whether Keith's remarks were homophobic and whether Josh was being prejudice by implying (calling?) Keith was a hick.  According to this episode, Josh was right - he may have made an assumption based on a stereotype, but it is true - Keith is a hick.  Obviously, Alec proves that hick behavior can exist outside of the South - what are hicks called in the Northeast/Midwest/West? "

Hicks.

• Love 3

How about just thinking about having some decency and manners, and shielding others from the basic realities of their digestive systems? 

Hatch won Season One walking around naked.  If after all of these seasons farting is too much for the women, I suggest we've regressed as a society.  

• Love 1

I am shocked - shocked!- at myself with how much I pull for Natalie. I never ever saw that coming. Their first boot ouster on TAR was one of the greatest things ever.

Me too! I was so upset when the twinnies were cast on Survivor, and now I am so thankful every time I see Natalie's face, as it's nice to know that she is smart, and playing the game and I'm now rooting for her. And I was jumping for joy when she got first out on TAR too.  I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Before this season started I just assumed that I would love the cast like I always do.  But, um, just no. It's not happening. And I don't think it's going to turn around, either, at this point in the game. 

• Love 2

Missy continues to get more annoying, she's such a bitch and acts like they're at some high end hotel like Keith said. Keith and Alec are rude I didn't see Wes say anything to Baylor or Missy that was chauvinistic. Maybe I'm wrong but it was mostly Alec's chauvinistic ass, just like his brother and he can go to.

Jaclyn is annoying too, since Jon left to exile she acted like Wes, Alec, Reed, Keith, are suppose to just approach her and start talking strategy or flirt with her or something. It's clear that they're more comfortable around Jon and expect him to talk to Jaclyn to vote their way, not her since she's apparently aligned with the women.

The issue isn't so much that chauvinistic things were said, and Jaclyn is not upset that she is not being approached for conversations or strategy. The issue is that their "Jon is calling the shots and Jaclyn will do whatever he says" mentality is indicative of a deeper chauvinism. I wouldn't want to be in an alliance with people who think of me as a brainless appendage, either.

Ugh, I can not deal with these people thinking women are some fragile species that need to be shielded from the basic realities of life.  Seems like Missy and Baylor should have been a lot more concerned that the men were treating them like second class citizens rather than worry so much that they were *gasp* farting.  jfc.

I didn't like that Jeremy et. al were saying that these things should not be done around women specifically, but the basic realities of life don't inherently involve burping, farting and spitting within another human being's personal space. Some people are fine with it, and Keith, Wes and Alec are more than welcome to continue doing so. But they also need to understand that other people - women AND men - may not enjoy being around it. I know I for one would not be a fan of it in such close quarters with people I've known for 3 weeks.

I think the sexist whining by the women is way overplayed.  There certainly wasn't much footage shown of it.  Crude behavior?  Yes.  Sexist?  I don't think so.  If that is all the editors have to work with, then this truly is one of the most boring seasons of Survivor. 

It was pretty obvious that Jon was going to buy into Jaclyn's the women are being treated badly nonsense. I get the feeling that Jaclyn is just as pampered and entitled as Baylor seems to be.  They are on the wrong reality show if they expect that.  This supposed to be Survivor, no whining allowed.  Still, Jon is just gullible enough to buy into it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor subscribes to this idea of being a pampered princess, but I don't recall Jaclyn complaining about this. Jaclyn's issue with the men was that she was not being treated as an equal to Jon. There is sufficient footage to back this claim, considering the guys would not shut up about how she would do whatever Jon said.

Do we know for sure that it was a schoolyard pick?  I found it odd that Jon and Jaclyn ended up on separate teams.  Perhaps Jeff pulled names out of a hat.  I wish they would have at least told us how the teams were decided.

Jon and Jaclyn were on the same team, along with Baylor, Alec and Josh. But I can see couples being split (i.e. Reed/Josh) based on where they'd fall in the natural desirability order. This explains why Natalie was on a team with all men since she is most likely of the females to be chosen first.

• Love 6

How is it that someone like Alec has never been told how repulsive he is? I guess by just always being surrounded by like-minded people, who think his repulsive qualities are hilarious? How is that really great, lovely people receive tons of criticism all the time about everything and it seems like he never has?

From the edited version of the show, the contestants just referred to the group of guys as "frat boys" and "arrogant", etc. I wish someone had singled him out and told him how awful he specifically is. Although that probably wouldn't have been good for that person's game and that is why they're on Survivor and I'm not.

• Love 3

I think (hope) the reason Keith felt so comfortable speaking the way he did to Missy (or is it Misty?) was because the lunkhead alliance felt like they were in charge and would soon be pagonging all those worrisome females.  At least I hope that he's not that stupid.  That whole exchange was just cringe worthy.

I think Alec telling the wimmins to keep the fire going was supposed to be sarcasm since they were all sitting around the fire at that time.  He's still an ass, though.  I don't want him to just be voted out I want him to be on the receiving end of a massive blindside.

• Love 1

Alec is from Winter Park Florida. I had an ex from there and from his beliefs it sounded like any town in the south.

Winter Park is a resort/bedroom community of Orlando, of which about 70% of the population are "transplants" from out-of-state - so I don't think it could in any way be considered representative of "any town in the south."  Just an FYI.

• Love 1