Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E04: 12 Chefs Walk Into A Bar...

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

In Swayze's defense on the hummus -- it actually is super common bar food here in Michigan (at least in craft beer bars, gastropubs and breweries, which I would bet is more his comfort zone than dive bars). Some of it is mediocre and placed on the menu just to pacify vegetarians, but some is sublime. I'm a big fan of the hummus at New Holland, for example. They used to have a super smooth extra tahini version (I suspect they removed the skins from the chickpeas) which was amazing, and now they do a black bean version which is zippy and delightful. Someplace I'm forgetting had a white bean and rosemary version earlier this summer that was served with a dollop of really good olive oil on top along with some celery, carrots, and house made pita bread. OMG, so good.

And even when I order things like the crazy crack-like buffalo chicken dip at Short's (which is smothered in blue cheese and just hard to stop putting in your mouth) I order it with celery and carrots in place of the crostini. "Bar food" is not just fried things any more, and there is a pretty large percentage of craft beer drinkers who actually prefer healthy(ish) snacks with our beer. I mean, the fewer calories I eat in bread, the more I can drink, right?

Another Michigander here.  I live just north of Detroit on the east side.  We love crudité with humus - goes so good with beer.

• Love 3

Happy to see Keriann bounce back to her old episode 1 quickfire badass self. I think people on reality shows take being away from their families so hard because they're not only separated physically, they have also lost the emotional outlet for their frustrations, etc. If you're used to being able to go home/call and truly vent/destress with someone you trust, you're not really going to appreciate how important it is until you're literally cut off from them for an extended period of time. 

Ugh, peanut butter and mayo? On a burger? No way I would have eaten that.  I don't really like Aaron (esp w/ the new domestic violence charges), but had to agree with him on Katsuji destroying his workstation. Katsuji totally pulled a Beverly, screw everyone up and then flit away like an oppressed butterfly. 

Loved that the restaurant owner was actively expediting and giving feedback on the quality of the dishes once fired. When he told Katsuji and Aaron to simmer down, they just turned around like chastised children and went to work, love it! Probably makes for bad tv if there are no melodramatic meltdowns in the kitchen, though.

Surprised Gregory didn't get snapped up first thing. He seems accomplished and low-key, does he have some secret evil side that the editing monkeys are hiding until later? Don't know why you'd group up with all your Sous Chef buddies and then be like 'oh yea, we don't actually know how to make a menu.' Derp.

Sorry to see Rebecca (?) go, but also happy since it saved Stacey. She's hysterical, absolutely need more of her on my television. 

Lamb doesn't sell? In Boston? lolwut

Added: Blais's radicchio comment insulted the audience, which is something Top Chef is usually good at avoiding. He is doing his new show no favors, either, and now I don't even want to give it a try. I've gone rapidly from liking him okay to tolerating him to agreeing that he really is kind of a douche. More Schlow, less Blais, please.

Yeah, the rubes in Boston might not be sophisticated enough for radicchio. Cram it, Blais. I was neutral on him, even liked him his first season, but last night sealed my active dislike. I found him so smug and pleased with himself. Ick.

I thought Kerriann would get the boot once she was shown making the "phone call of doom" to her loved one. Again we get a reality/competition show contestant weeping over the "sacrifice" she's made to be there.  When she auditioned, did she not understand the show wouldn't be filmed in her backyard?  And her husband and children would not be allowed to come along?  Enough with the boo-hooing about "everything I left behind". You VOLUNTARILY left everything behind (unless Top Chef production crew is running a cheftestant slave trade organization & the poor woman was kidnapped).

I don't have an issue with Kerriann missing her family. You can know intellectually that you'll be away from home for a while, but still miss your kids and husband.  I would not think very highly anyone who could take off for three weeks and never miss her children.

• Love 2

I agree that missing your kids or your family etc is certainly valid.  Hell, I've cried every night on a 3 day business trip when I called to say goodnight to my daughter.  My issue is when the contestant cries over "his/her" sacrifice, as if those emotions only impact that individual.  Everyone there "gave up" something to be there.  It is a voluntary contract they sign, along with all the other people participating.  Let's face it, they are all doing it for selfish reasons - fame, recognition in their field, cash for themselves or family, etc.  Nothing wrong with that, and good luck in your endeavors.  But don't whine or bluster about how winning or "being here" means soooo much more to YOU because of what you chose to leave (family, kids, job) for a short term chance to achieve a bigger goal you chose to pursue.

Just read the Aaron was arrested Tuesday for domestic violence against his girlfriend.  Wonder if that's his parents' divorce's fault too.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 6

You are right, the Cheers windows are small sidewalk level, while the bar is below ground level. I'm guessing they used an upstairs room in the Hampshire House. They have gorgeous function rooms on all 3 floors and the 1st floor "Oak Room" has street level windows facing Brimmer & Beacon St's.

Nice to see "Norm" again, but do tourists still go to Cheers?

"Cheers" the bar now actually includes the first floor of the Hampshire House, which used to be a separate restaurant.  So yes, they were on the first floor of that building - the actual basement part of the bar looks nothing like the interior of the show.  (FWIW, my company used to do holiday parties on the third floor of the Hampshire House, and it is a lovely location, but is now mostly functioning as event space).  As far as I can tell, only tourists go to Cheers.  In the summer time, I will walk down Beacon Street and there are invariably tourists there taking pictures.

With regard to the hummus as bar food - that is not unusual in Boston, either.  The bar in my neighborhood serves hummus as an appetizer, so I didn't think it was that off the mark for bar food.

• Love 3

I thought the take on radicchio as a hard sell was that a little goes a long way, it's nice when it's with something else, like other greens or even a little in pasta with spinach but an entire salad of radicchio is not as appetizing.

And since Cheers is my alltime favorite show, I liked them being in the bar, not sure why it's so hated by Bostonians.

• Love 2

And since Cheers is my alltime favorite show, I liked them being in the bar, not sure why it's so hated by Bostonians.

It's not hated by Bostonians, per se, it just isn't reflective of the city all that much.  I mean, Padma was absolutely correct in saying that Boston is a bar town, and it is a city that has a lot of neighborhood bars that are really beloved.  But Cheers itself is not one of those bars (I have no idea if the original Bull 'n' Finch was prior to the show).  For a challenge to focus on the neighborhood bars, I would have preferred for them to go to Doyle's in JP or Amrheins in Southie or the Stockyard in Brighton or even a more upscale neighborhood bar like the Ashmont Grill in Dorchester.  But for a Quickfire, I didn't have that much of a problem with them using Cheers as a location, but it definitely caters more to a tourist clientele.

• Love 3

I thought Kerriann would get the boot once she was shown making the "phone call of doom" to her loved one. Again we get a reality/competition show contestant weeping over the "sacrifice" she's made to be there.  When she auditioned, did she not understand the show wouldn't be filmed in her backyard?  And her husband and children would not be allowed to come along?  Enough with the boo-hooing about "everything I left behind". You VOLUNTARILY left everything behind (unless Top Chef production crew is running a cheftestant slave trade organization & the poor woman was kidnapped).

I appreciated the way she almost seemed to have an awareness that she wanted to quit because she was losing, not because she missed her kids. 

This episode overall was fairly boring.  The morning after, I can barely remember what happened.

The old Bull and Finch was a nice place, and it was a neighborhood kind of place, low key. The TV show changed all that, now its just a tourist destination, not a local hangout.  Just like the full replica of Cheers at Fanueil Hall is strictly for when you have guests from out of town.

• Love 3

The giant windows and street level views threw me, too.  I moved out of Boston 20 years ago, but the bar was definitely underground and looked nothing like the tv show bar.  

It was a nice local place before the show (and tourist dollar) hit.  

Blais doesn't bother me, but maybe because I wouldn't order a radicchio salad!

• Love 1

The old Bull and Finch was a nice place, and it was a neighborhood kind of place, low key. The TV show changed all that, now its just a tourist destination, not a local hangout.  Just like the full replica of Cheers at Fanueil Hall is strictly for when you have guests from out of town.

I actually had a halfway decent lunch at the FH one with my out-of-town guest last year.  It wasn't TC-quality food, but edible and reasonably priced.  We had to visit the "real" one too and the gift shop had plenty of windows, so maybe they did some of the QF there if they didn't go upstairs.

• Love 1

I could be that I'm not understanding the challenge - weren't they told to cook pasta? And weren't they then told to make a gluten-free version of specifically the pasta entree? Because with the severity of real gluten allergies, and the increasing number of undiagnosed people who think it's fashionable to decide to have one, it makes sense that they should be able to accommodate gluten-free diners. I just can't think of a practical reason why they should have to accommodate them with a pasta course.

They obviously weren't told to make a gluten free version of their pasta course, just that they had a gluten free diner, which is a problem for the pasta course.  The fact that one team had a risotto for Rossum shows that they anticipated the possibility of a gluten free diner.  Gluten free is so not even a big deal anymore these days with the number of gluten free flours that you can make pasta with.

I think the pasta course was required because it was an Italian dining challenge, and pasta can be tricky, challenging, and really easy to fuck up.  However, is anyone else incredibly shocked that no one made gnocchi, a Top Chef staple?  It was kind of nice.  (And gnocchi is easy to make gluten free)

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 2

Here's the link to Gawker's article on Aaron's domestic violence arrest as referenced by BusyOctober above. As if we needed even more reasons to hate him. <sigh> His whole "this my turning point" made me think they were trying to Nicholas Elmi-him but Nicholas was never that bad. Aaron is beyond redemption.

Dicky Blais's jacket had me LULZing for DAYZ. Stop. Trying. So. Damn. HARD! Everything he says is so meaningless.

This whole episode I thought "This is Top Chef, not Top Scallop!" I like scallops every now and then but these cheftestants make them way too much. I didn't think Swayze should have blamed his team menu on his loss. He could have come up with another idea, or at least executed that salad way better than he did. The judges weren't knocking the concept, they were knocking the execution. I never even remembered the other female cheftestant who who was booted but she said something about coming back on Last Chance Kitchen, which I don't think they're doing this year. Poor girl is going to be wandering around the set, looking for LCK.

How does Katsuji make something that looks so good (that ceviche) and then make something so horrid? That thing he made looked like a baby puked up green peas. And his idea to serve a "gluten free" dish just meant globs of sauce and veggies? That actress looked offended by that, as she should have. PastaKatie's gluten free dish looked very tasty. Katsuji is clearly being kept for entertainment value.

Little Dougie is really cute and seems like a nice quiet fella. I'm still on the fence about Santino LaBeouf. He's got that annoying Spike personality but he doesn't seem rancid like Asshat Aaron.

• Love 2
This whole episode I thought "This is Top Chef, not Top Scallop!" I like scallops every now and then but these cheftestants make them way too much.

I thought it was smart in this challenge; as at least two judges said, scallops sell.  So if one of the two goals is to get the most diners to choose your menu, putting scallops on it is a good idea.

I never even remembered the other female cheftestant who who was booted but she said something about coming back on Last Chance Kitchen, which I don't think they're doing this year. Poor girl is going to be wandering around the set, looking for LCK.

No, it is coming back this year, which is probably why they included that comment.

They built a replica in Fanuell Hall Market place and that is where this was filmed.

The original set used to be in a museum, but I have no idea where it went when that museum closed down; last I heard, it was in storage. 

• Love 1

The original Cheers bar is VERY small, tiny really.  They built a replica in Fanuell Hall Market place and that is where this was filmed. 

http://www.cheersboston.com/main_locations.html

No, it wasn't.  They gave the address - 84 Beacon Street - and that's most definitely the original location.  But they have expanded the bar to include the first floor of the Hampshire House, and that's where they were doing the presenting.  The FH Marketplace version also doesn't face out onto the street that way.

• Love 1

I loved Michael Schlow saying, purple team, I want it quiet so things go smoothly.   We didn't see it but you know Katsuji and Aaron were at each other. 

I thought he made a comment about drinking some herbal tea to them.  As in mellow out.

Each team had to make an antipasto, a pasta, and a secundo (main) course.  Not one team really made antipasto - they made salads or they made hot appetizers.  Weren't they dependent on what was available in the kitchen to cook, or did they get to order food?  I think purple was forced to use frozen peas, if they wanted to use peas, for example.

Why didn't any of them make tapas for the bar snack?  

• Love 1

My problem with custom "gluten free" options like this is that many, many kitchens aren't equipped to make them. And by that I don't mean lacking in ingredients or skills -- I mean that they don't have segregated pots/pans/utensils/surfaces, etc. People with true celiac disease will react badly to the slightest bit of contamination. I would NEVER trust a restaurant with a standard kitchen that makes fresh pasta (or pizza dough or fresh bread) to feed someone with celiac disease -- too much flour floating around. What watching chefs prepare a "gluten free" version in a kitchen with loads of flour does is play into the gluten free trend, while making things less safe for those with celiac disease by convincing restaurants that they can advertise gluten free options when they are almost guaranteed to be contaminated.

• Love 11

No, it wasn't.  They gave the address - 84 Beacon Street - and that's most definitely the original location.  But they have expanded the bar to include the first floor of the Hampshire House, and that's where they were doing the presenting.  The FH Marketplace version also doesn't face out onto the street that way.

Thanks.  i stand corrected!

Question about the Cheers bar — How were George and Padma able to sit in front of those windows that featured trees and moving cars, etc. when the bar is in a basement? Am I missing something?

TV Cheers Bar was in a basement.  The Cheers Bar in Boston is not. It's been redesigned inside to look more like the TV Cheers Bar but it's always been on the corner of Charles and Beacon, above ground.

All of us have always been suspicious of producer manipulation, but not affecting the judging.  Now in light of this story:

Just read the Aaron was arrested Tuesday for domestic violence against his girlfriend.

I found the disclaimer at the end of the episode interesting:

Winning and elimination decisions were made by the judges in consultation with producers.  Some elimination decisions were discussed with Bravo.

Hmmm.

Edited by nottopbravo

Colicchio insists that this has never happened, and that he would have quit if production had ever tried it. They take this very seriously. Suggesting that Colicchio was perhaps not being completely forthcoming was grounds for the banhammer on TWOP under Bravo management. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Colicchio insists that this has never happened, and that he would have quit if production had ever tried it. They take this very seriously. Suggesting that Colicchio was perhaps not being completely forthcoming was grounds for the banhammer on TWOP under Bravo management. 

While I personally agree that Tom C would walk out if there were producer manipulation, I think it's legitimate to consider whether it happened.  

Aaron is such an ass, he can't work with anyone without sounding like a douche. He was so arrogant after his team won in his TH I wish someone would knock him out.

After that TH, I had an extremely visceral urge to slap his face.

Also, it seemed to me that Katsuji was blaming Greg to a certain extent for what he (K) served as gluten-free. He didn't have to take Greg's suggestion, and it wasn't necessarily Greg's place to pull K's butt out of the fire. Makes me less impressed with K's skills. He only seems to do well when he's in his wheelhouse. 

Edited by carrps

All of us have always been suspicious of producer manipulation, but not affecting the judging.  Now in light of this story:

I found the disclaimer at the end of the episode interesting:

Hmmm.

I'm not seeing what the conspiracy is. That disclaimer has been there a long time.
  • Love 3

While I personally agree that Tom C would walk out if there were producer manipulation, I think it's legitimate to consider whether it happened.  

I don't think Tom would allow the other producers to roll him.

OTOH, Tom is himself a producer.

• Love 2

I like radicchio but I think that for a lot of people it tastes a little too bitter.  I used to work at a restaurant with an endive salad and it sold very poorly compared to everything else.  It just was not something that most people wanted to eat, and it was a really good dish actually. The problem here was that people had the choice of three menus, and most people will pick seared scallops over radicchio.

I personally had no issue with menu design being part of the challenge.  That is something that a top chef needs to master.  How many times have we seen a dish that the judges praise, but that most of the people on the forum would not really want to eat?  I mean, it makes for great television to see this people create cool dishes out of snake, but very few people will order a snake dish.  You can be a great chef and make great dishes, but if the menu is unappealing, no one will come to your restaurant.  

• Love 3

I couldn't listen to Emmy Rossum without my mute button on. I'm sure she's nice and thoughtful but I could not stand her voice. Same goes for Padma, but that's normal for me.  I did like George Wendt. I wish Cliffy would have been there, too.  ("Name 4 people who've never been in my kitchen.") 

I remember wanting to go to Cheers when I was in Boston 25 years ago but we couldn't get in so we went to a place nearby that served the most awesome clam chowder I have had in my life.  

• Love 5

I personally had no issue with menu design being part of the challenge.  That is something that a top chef needs to master.

I thought it was a very interesting part of the challenge, something we never see except for Restaurant Wars, and no one went home for a bad menu, only a bad dish.  This was the first time I can recall them selecting a winning team without picking out one member as the actual winner. (Which never matters unless there's a prize on the line, but they do it anyway.)

I liked this episode. The quick fire challenge was fun with the food looking esp. good. The visit to Cheers didn't take over the whole episode and wasn't over fawning like last week's show.   The elimination challenge had, for me, just the right amount of drama.  The chefs got along but there was just enough tension for entertainment value. 

Adimittidly, I like Richard Blaise, but I really didn't hear anything he said on the show that was so horrible to make him so disliked. 

I know it's a stupid thing, but I didn't like how they got to pick their own teams.  i just thought of some of those uncomfortable times in grade school with some people looking at each other.  Much better when they pick numbers. 

In total agreement with the Micheal Schlow like.

• Love 4
It just was not something that most people wanted to eat, and it was a really good dish actually. The problem here was that people had the choice of three menus, and most people will pick seared scallops over radicchio.

Yeah, I thought that was what Richard was getting at, not that plebes can't handle radicchio but that the challenge was menu design and leading off with a radicchio salad isn't going to have the wide appeal of a scallop, I mean I like radicchio but would have probably even chosen the shrimp salad over it if I had to make a choice, which given how those two dishes turned out would have been a shame.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

In Swayze's defense on the hummus -- it actually is super common bar food here in Michigan (at least in craft beer bars, gastropubs and breweries, which I would bet is more his comfort zone than dive bars). Some of it is mediocre and placed on the menu just to pacify vegetarians, but some is sublime. I'm a big fan of the hummus at New Holland, for example. They used to have a super smooth extra tahini version (I suspect they removed the skins from the chickpeas) which was amazing, and now they do a black bean version which is zippy and delightful. Someplace I'm forgetting had a white bean and rosemary version earlier this summer that was served with a dollop of really good olive oil on top along with some celery, carrots, and house made pita bread. OMG, so good.

And even when I order things like the crazy crack-like buffalo chicken dip at Short's (which is smothered in blue cheese and just hard to stop putting in your mouth) I order it with celery and carrots in place of the crostini. "Bar food" is not just fried things any more, and there is a pretty large percentage of craft beer drinkers who actually prefer healthy(ish) snacks with our beer. I mean, the fewer calories I eat in bread, the more I can drink, right?

Thanks for the New Holland love - I work there :-)  Funny to see my place of employment on Previously TV!  And hummus is indeed very common in these parts.

As for the show:

• someone please push Aaron off a cliff. Dude is insufferable. 
  • Little Dick can go right behind him. The general public doesn't get radicchio? Whaaa?
  • Gregory FTW.
  • I tried to like James, I really did...I always root for the Michigangster to win. But really - his food was straight out of the 80's. 
  • "Norm" didn't seem to jazzed to be on the show. I get the impression that his manager forced him to do it...or his bank account did. 
  • He and Padma got way too much into the clinking of the glasses. 
  • Loved Michael Schlow.

I was too busy being excited that Uncle Junior was a judge to notice Blais' jacket. Oh wait, that was Tom trying to be hip with the glasses trend I wish would die a painful death.

I loved this episode. Cheers, Norm, the gluten-free twist, a kind restaurant owner expediting strangers in his kitchen without screaming, and 2 chefs whose names I didn't know sent packing.

• Love 3

Seems like Wendt's appearance may be for the Quickfire, in which case, I am okay with it. I don't love it, but I'd like for them to not waste an Elimination Challenge on Cheers.

FWIW, Michael Schlow is one of the leading culinary lights in Boston.

He seemed amazingly cool and sweet.  I like him

I'm gluten-free so I'm very curious to see what the chefs create.

Me too, I have no idea what Katsuji was making.  I thought every else's looked good.  I'm a little over Emmy Rossum, but I like that she was able to facilitate showing how gluten free can be done.

• Love 1

Wasn't a fan of how the challenge was set up.  You win because people ordered your dish? I know they've done other ridiculous things, like when in Restaurant Wars you had to spend time decorating instead of cooking, and I know those things are important in real life, but it doesn't really thrill me as a tv viewer.  The elimination itself was done fairly, I think, but I like to see someone win on the actual food and not through some weird judging thing.

Also, Aaron? No, it's not clear now that you can work on a team.  We learned that your team can win despite you, not because of you.

Here is the thing, I think the only level headed one there was Gregory.  Katsuji may try to act like an angel, but I'm starting to see through him.  I think he likes to egg Aaron on and then play victim when he gets a response.  I noticed this two times.  The first was when Aaron was trying to ask him how he was doing and he snapped back something like "don't talk to me in the kitchen!" or something to that effect.  The second time was when Aaron seemed to be asking him to just move some of his stuff so he could have space and Katsuji, instead of just moving his stuff, wanted to talk shit.  

I don't think Aaron is an angel, I think he is an abrasive ass, but I don't think Katsuji is so great either.  And that ravioli sounded and looked gross.  If I can see that a ravioli looks dry and gross from my small computer screen, I can't even imagine.

I do agree with you that the idea of who gets the most orders wins was a little ridiculous on so many levels.  For one, it doesn't become a cooking competition it becomes an adjective and adverb competition.  Second, you can cook gross food and still technically win?  say what?  Third, it gives an unfair advantage to people who write more than they cook.  Fourth, it doesn't reward the person who came up with the best tasting food.

• Love 6

It looks like viewers are going to be stuck with Aaron and Keriann for an eternity.  If they're going to plant a couple of losers for dramatic effect, couldn't they eliminate them sooner? 

I know I'm in the minority here, but KeriAnn bothers me way more than Aaron does.  Maybe its because she is doing every fucking talking head, and I find her voice annoying, her faces bother me, and what she substance of what she is talking about is not interesting to me.  Blah, blah, blah, I have kids, I miss my kids, I suck, I want to go home, but I'll pick myself up by my bootstraps and go on with life.  I wish I could just appear in front of her and say "listen bitch, here I am, playing the world's smallest violin for you, Worlds Greatest Chef within a 10 mile radius of a Sprouts Supermarket, or whatever the fuck award you won"

They should?  I thought it was up to the diner to order a gluten-free dish.  I can't imagine a restaurant patron ordering a pasta dish and asking the server to tell the chef they're gluten-free.  That would be like ordering a filet mignon and telling the chef you're a vegetarian.

Its becoming more popular now for restaurants to make/order gluten free pasta, and pizza crusts.  It doesn't seem to be that difficult, since most gluten free pasta is just made out of quinoa, rice, or corn.  And although  I'm never mad when I go to a place and they don't have the gluten free pasta option, if I know a place does have it, I'll make it a point to go there instead.  

I think its a little more like a vegetarian ordering a burger and then asking for the gardenburger option.  Most places I've gone to have the option of a gardenburger instead of a meat patty, but no one is really super upset if thats not an option.

He was delightful!  Whoever highlighted the contrast between him and Ramsay is spot-on, though admittedly I've only seen Ramsay expedite on Hell's Kitchen, and those bozos deserve to be screamed at ;)

Bleeping donkeys!

Question about the Cheers bar — How were George and Padma able to sit in front of those windows that featured trees and moving cars, etc. when the bar is in a basement? Am I missing something?

It is actually not in the basement.  The place where I guess they shot cheers is above ground, but the sign points downstairs!  I have a picture of it on my phone, but then you would have to see my fat ass trying to suck my gut in from eating too many lobster rolls.

• Love 3
I disagree. The vast majority of high end restaurants never accommodate any allergies. They may have a gluten free option, but they often don't remake existing dishes to accommodate a single diner. Anthony Bourdain, true it's Bourdain, sneered about accommodating allergies and special orders in Kitchen Confidential. My brother who has a deadly tree nut allergy has received exasperated sighs when he's ordered things without nuts and often they'll ignore him and just make it with nuts. He's been at some restaurants of some of the judges where the latter has happened. Emmy Rossum the celebrity might be able to pull this shit, but a random regular person would be redirected to the menu items that are gluten free.

I'm so sorry to hear that your brother's serious food allergy has not been taken seriously in restaurants.  That sucks.

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 2

Here's the link to Gawker's article on Aaron's domestic violence arrest as referenced by BusyOctober above. As if we needed even more reasons to hate him. <sigh> His whole "this my turning point" made me think they were trying to Nicholas Elmi-him but Nicholas was never that bad. Aaron is beyond redemption.

Well, now I just hate everyone in that group of three.  I was rooting for him to be one of those guys thats an ass to everyone else, but is at least kind to the people he is close with.

But for a Quickfire, I didn't have that much of a problem with them using Cheers as a location, but it definitely caters more to a tourist clientele.

Word to that, how many times did the camera zoom in on the Cheers! logo on the beer mugs.  The Board of Tourism in Boston is making big plans y'all....big, big plans for you when you head out there this summer!

• Love 2

Not Swayze tattoo! Why would you do this to me, show? I think his name was James. I was sad to see him go because he seemed to be a nice guy and also he had a tattoo of Patrick Swayze. The same complaints kept coming up though. Apparently his food is old fashioned and he makes weird choices like serving crudites as bar food at Cheers. I knew that he would be eliminated with the other girl because they were not going to let go of their Boston contestant this early.

I'm still not enthusiastically rooting for anyone. We had frontrunners at the beginning and now I feel like all I see is Gregory and whoever is in a fight that week. We've never been able to taste the food but it used to be more compelling to watch them make and eat it. I'm not sure if the problem is with the judges or the contestants. 

The main challenge this week was interesting but odd. It felt like it came from another show like Hell's Kitchen or something where they were actually being tested on skills for a job. I think that may also have been part of the reason we got kind of boring food this week. Cooking food that people want to eat is not the same thing as condescending to diners and making something pedestrian that doesn't challenge them or yourself. 

Over Katsuji. Go away. 

• Love 1

James (?) didn't learn from Joy's mistake in acquiescing to a team that wants you to make something you don't think is right, but he still screwed up the execution on his own.

So what is the point of them being in the room during judging then?

It looks like viewers are going to be stuck with Aaron and Keriann for an eternity.  If they're going to plant a couple of losers for dramatic effect, couldn't they eliminate them sooner?

I never hated Aaron that much. I've always thought that he was a jerk but he's a jerk who picks fights with other jerks. And I'm coming around on him more since he can apparently cook good food. Keriann and Katsuji do seem to put out good food rather sporadically and certainly not often enough to back up their egos. Also, I could not have rolled my eyes harder at the whole 'I miss my children' so much thing from Keriann at the beginning. Calm down. You just feel bad because they don't love your food and you expected to sweep in and have them kiss your ass. Don't suggest that you're going to quit because you want to be at home with your kids. That's gross. Don't use your kids like that. I already got the story about how you're doing this so your kids will follow their dreams or some BS like that. Stop it. 

I feel like they're working the redemption angle for Aaron. It started with his bonding with Swayze and it's been steadily building. We'll see if they'll continue selling it or if they're just setting him up for a fall.

• Love 1

I can't stand KeriAnn... she can't PKAG soon enough for me. I really think she was the instigator with the whole Aaron situation when they were teammates. Yeah, he escalated it, but she was rude first.

I really like Gregory, and I adore Aaron. Maybe he comes across as crude, but I think he's honest and is trying to do the best he can. He knows he has personality traits he needs to work on and I believe he is trying. There is just something about him that I understand and find refreshing. I hope he goes far.

I like the rest of the chefs or am neutral to them with the exception of Katie. There is just something about her that I don't like.

I think the 3 bottom chefs could have done a better job in the way that they defended their dishes. Though this season it seems like the judges have already made their minds up when they call the bottom chefs up, instead of using the chefs feedback to potentially move the dial in one direction or the other if they are on the fence about who should go home. 

Edited by fivestone

First time posting this season.  I agree that Richard is way over the top.  He's insufferable.  It's almost as if he feels he has to justify himself by being on the judges' table, so he makes these snarky and rude remarks and cuts the cheftestants down.  If anything, I would expect him to be more understanding and sympathetic, since he's been there two or three times before.  Instead of "when I used <some protein>, I created an amazing and succulent dish so I don't see why you couldn't either", it would be nice to see him give more constructive criticism and encouragement.

I really don't like immunity.  Give them $5000 for the win each time, but do away with immunity.  Katsuji was awful and deserved to go home.

• Love 4

In the unfortunate timing department, I swear I heard Aaron tell Swayze to "hit him up" as he was telling him good bye. I know guys use it as a stay in touch kind of good bye, but I watched this last night, hours after seeing about Aaron's battery charges on TMZ, so the words were kinds of unfortunate.

I liked Swayze, but I swear I didn't even know the woman (Rebecca?) was even a contestant. 

I like Tom's glasses, they are currently in style.  I had to go back to see Richard's jacket.  It looks like it is denim.  A stylist is behind the wardrobe choices.  Denim is all over the place this season and Richard does not strike me as someone who is on top of the trends.   And Tom did not choose a plaid shirt and tan jacket, that is very J Crew. 

On my last trip, the Southwest flight attendant announced they would not be serving peanuts because there was an allergy onboard and asked us not to eat any peanut products we may have brought with us.  I have a friend who has a severe reaction if she even hugs someone who has just eaten peanuts. There can be enough in their breath to trigger her.  Allergies have range of degree.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I've been diagnosed with celiac disease since 1998. I ALWAYS call ahead to the restaurant to tell them I'll need a gluten free meal (and choose restaurants that I know can accomodate me). But that wasn't the point here.

It was part of the Top Chef challenge. So Emmy didn't let them know ahead of time, and had to pick from the prix fixe menu. So it wasn't that she was ordering ala carte, and ALL the menus had a pasta course.

The chefs might have had to adjust the other two courses as well (which wasn't discussed -- I guess none of them dredged anything in flour or thickened any sauces with flour), but they all HAD to alter the pasta course. Risotto and polenta (and gluten free pasta) are obvious alternatives. The zuccini ribbons were very clever. Dumping the filling from your ravioli into a bowl with sauce, not so much.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't talk about cross-contamination issues in the kitchen, but given the time constraints of the show, I can't say I'm surprised.

• Love 2

Re. allergy accommodations - Twenty years ago I went to an expensive upscale restaurant owned by a famous Boston chef. I was with a group of MIT PhD's and Board members. One of the women in our group had a severe sulfate allergy, so she asked the waiter if she could get a steak without any of seasoning salt/spice rub described in the menu.  Waiter said no problem.  When the food came out, it was obvious this lady's steak had the seasoning rub all over her steak.  Rather then send it back or make a scene, she ate the vegetables (served on a different plate), some bread and ate the rest of her husband's salad (no dressing).  The waiter noticed she didn't touch the steak and she said it wasn't a problem, they'd take it home for the husband or kids.  The waiter must have told Chef Superiority Complex because he came storming over and yelled "Who has a problem with how I prepare my menu?!?  Do you understand how expensive this cut is??? Or is this your first experience in fine dining?"  The husband tried to explain the allergy and this chef slammed his fist down & FLIPPED the table over, yelling that if we didn't appreciate his food we could "all get the F*** OUT!"  The dining room was silent and we picked up our things (covered in wine, food etc.) and walked out. We all sent dry cleaning bills to the restaurant and they were all paid, however I have never ventured foot into any of this Jackhole's properties again.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 4

So glad that people are digging Michael Schlow! I took an adult ed "Evening at Via Matta" class years ago and he was great…gracious and funny, and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. 

I might have missed it, but what was Emmy Rossum doing there as a guest judge? Wasn't there at least a context for Lea Michele to be in New Orleans during taping? Emmy Rossum isn't from Boston, nor is Shameless filmed here/take place here. I find the random celebrity guest judge appearances to be a bit annoying.

Not at all impressed with Katsuji's response to a gluten-free request. I'm not sure what I would have done, but I'm not a professional chef. I expect chefs to know what to do in those situations and to know how to find reasonable replacements.