Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CatLady

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I found those Tripp/Charlie scenes really interesting. I actually loved that about Tripp. It shows he has a lot more humanity than Charlie does. It's possible Tripp was just trying to work him towards the end, pretending to have sympathy for him to get Charlie to be willing to confess, but I think he was actually sincere. I think he was rightly pissed at Charlie and didn't plan on feeling anything for him, but once Charlie started confiding in him, it changed a little. Like he said, he could relate and feel some empathy. Because of how he grew up, I think family really does mean a lot to Tripp, so I think he meant it that he'd stand by Charlie if he did the right thing and confessed. Once Charlie turned hostile again, it made sense his thinking switched to "bad childhood or not, my sympathy only goes so far and I'm not letting you take me down for something you did." 

Mike Manning is compelling, but Charlie's angst is kind of pathetic. It sucks that his mom didn't give him any love, but to think that is an excuse for most of what he's done (maybe save kidnapping Ava) and that he blame Tripp is just weak. My sympathy only goes so far.

I too thought MM did a really good job with the scenes today.  I even felt bad for him when he was relating his childhood. Then I remembered he was a rapist.  I don't know if he's meant to be a short term or long term character, but I hope he sticks around. There's other rapists and serial killers running around Salem as pillars of the community so why not one more. It's an equal-opportunity town.

11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm wondering if Charlie is a child of rape, and that's why Ava keeps him at arm's length.

From the scenes so far it seems like it was simply the fact that Charlie's father was just a rebound fling and Charlie was an accidental pregnancy. Tripp's father was Ava's imagined love of her life and Ava probably tried to get pregnant, and given her obsession with Steve it makes sense for her character.   Meanwhile, I'm still holding out hope that Jake turns out to be Charlie's Philly mob-connected dad. 

11 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

 Surely he can hide at the hideout hotel or the Horton cabin.

It was like Salem suddenly ran out of hiding places. lol  No one's ever had to lie low before. It also seemed ironic and silly that Philip, Brady, and Zander have all approached this situation as if they were fish out of water when it comes to dealing with organized crime. Umm, hasn't the Kiriakis empire historically dealt in it?  Do we have to go out on a limb and assume that the Vitalli's are so much more dangerous and violent???....than who, the Dimeras?  Angelo Vitali will break your legs for not paying back a gambling debt while Stefano used to put mind control chips in people's brains for...reasons! 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

This! He grates the living daylights out of me. He's far too misogynists and self-involved for me to take him serious as a leading man and as part of a real couple. And Sara gets dumbed down when she's with him. I had to keep reminding myself today that she went to medical school because some of the stuff she rolled off with did not sound like someone who has been educated. 

Xander worked best as a pop up villain and Sarah was a lot better when she  dumped Rex after finding out he knocked up Mimi etc. However this pairing doesn't help either character as you pointed out Xander isn't believable as a leading man and Sarah is dumbed down to be with him. Sad thing is I think the actors do have chemistry and have this screwball factor that reminds me of an 80s soap couple. However their actual history says otherwise.... at this point the show is so terrible that I'm actually overlooking how problematic this all is because the rest of the show is worse than they are.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The "sunlight" in Rafe's office is interesting, but if I were Allie, I'd stand somewhere else because the sun is in her eyes.

I wondered if it was a deliberate choice with Allie's face having stripes of dark and light across it, while the lighting in Tripp and Charlie's scenes had Tripp lite up from behind as if he had a kind of angelic glow.  I'll give them credit for at least trying to do something visually interesting, which I haven't noticed much previously.  

 

2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Mike Manning is compelling, but Charlie's angst is kind of pathetic. It sucks that his mom didn't give him any love, but to think that is an excuse for most of what he's done (maybe save kidnapping Ava) and that he blame Tripp is just weak. My sympathy only goes so far.

My sympathy may go a little farther.  I don't think Charlie's childhood is an excuse for raping anyone but him relating it to Tripp was his way of explaining that he wasn't working with positive roles models as a child.  But when Tripp explains that he wasn't working with positive role models either, and he didn't become a rapist...well.  If you want to consider nature-vs-nuture, then perhaps Charlie really never had a chance.  We know that Charlie is the man who raped Allie but could Charlie have grown up to not be capable of such a horrible act?  I don't know, but those Charlie/Tripp scenes were thought-provoking.  

 

JKJ played Philip as if he was annoyed the barista at the coffee shop got his order wrong more than he seemed terrified that his life was in danger when he hung up the phone with Angelo.  I'm convinced this story could be just as interesting as the Charlie/Tripp/Ava mess if JKJ was portraying Philip as an addict who's struggling to hold his messed up life together rather than an audition for the next film about The Joker.   

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

It's like plywood slats nailed together. So perhaps it's Charlie's décor, but I swear it's laziness on the part of production. 😄

Well, Production is not only lazy but also broke so yes lol.

20 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Does [Charlie] truly think he has Claire completely on his side that she'll go against her entire family to support him?

He sounded so desperate on the phone call to her so no I don't think he thinks she will but he's trying hard to get her to choose him over her family.

20 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm wondering if Charlie is a child of rape, and that's why Ava keeps him at arm's length.

I would be shocked if he isn't a child of rape. As soon as he told the story of his dad, I was like yep his dad raped Ava. Ron loves rape.

18 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I don't know if [Charlie]'s meant to be a short term or long term character, but I hope he sticks around. There's other rapists and serial killers running around Salem as pillars of the community so why not one more. It's an equal-opportunity town.

This.

17 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

JKJ played Philip as if he was annoyed the barista at the coffee shop got his order wrong more than he seemed terrified that his life was in danger when he hung up the phone with Angelo.  

I agree. I love it lol.

The discussion about male rape made me finally put together that Ron (and maybe most soap writers) seems to believe that it's only rape if there's a violent component to it/if the victim actually says the words no or stop during it. He doesn't think Stefan/Abby was rape, or Jack/Kate and Gwen/Chad, and he didn't seem to understand that Marty/TSJ Todd on OLTL was rape. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

There's an old episode of the Brady Bunch where Cindy loses her Kitty Karryall doll, and Bobby buys her a replacement after being wrongly accused of stealing it (Spoiler alert: it was Tiger). But she doesn't want or like the new doll because it's not the same as her old one in her mind, and just tosses it off to the side.  This is rather what I envision for Ron's inspiration for Ava. 😁 It would also make her father the dog in this scenario too.

224115.jpg

 

9 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Xander worked best as a pop up villain and Sarah was a lot better when she  dumped Rex after finding out he knocked up Mimi etc. However this pairing doesn't help either character as you pointed out Xander isn't believable as a leading man and Sarah is dumbed down to be with him. Sad thing is I think the actors do have chemistry and have this screwball factor that reminds me of an 80s soap couple. However their actual history says otherwise.... at this point the show is so terrible that I'm actually overlooking how problematic this all is because the rest of the show is worse than they are.

The new Calliope and Eugene?

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

There's an old episode of the Brady Bunch where Cindy loses her Kitty Karryall doll, and Bobby buys her a replacement after being wrongly accused of stealing it (Spoiler alert: it was Tiger). But she doesn't want or like the new doll because it's not the same as her old one in her mind, and just tosses it off to the side.  This is rather what I envision for Ron's inspiration for Ava. 😁 It would also make her father the dog in this scenario too.

224115.jpg

 

The new Calliope and Eugene?

Yes.  This show needs fun characters or serious characters doing fun things.  I want some silliness.  How about characters actually laughing!

I appreciate the fact that lately all the drama has been low key.  No escaped murderers, no one in ANOTHER coma, no one GOING TO DIE (who we all know is in absolutely no danger whatsoever.)  Even though I hate the whole rape story, that and the Gwen story (and her wreaking havoc on the whole Deveraux clan) are really just characters interacting.  Even the story of Phillip supposedly being scared for his life is being played out more for the interpersonal drama than the dire consequences drama (especially since I don't think any of us believe Phillip will actually get killed off).  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Xander worked best as a pop up villain and Sarah was a lot better when she  dumped Rex after finding out he knocked up Mimi etc. However this pairing doesn't help either character as you pointed out Xander isn't believable as a leading man and Sarah is dumbed down to be with him. Sad thing is I think the actors do have chemistry and have this screwball factor that reminds me of an 80s soap couple. However their actual history says otherwise.... at this point the show is so terrible that I'm actually overlooking how problematic this all is because the rest of the show is worse than they are.

Pretty much what I'm thinking whenever I find something to enjoy on this show.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Yes.  This show needs fun characters or serious characters doing fun things.  I want some silliness.  How about characters actually laughing!

I appreciate the fact that lately all the drama has been low key.  No escaped murderers, no one in ANOTHER coma, no one GOING TO DIE (who we all know is in absolutely no danger whatsoever.)  Even though I hate the whole rape story, that and the Gwen story (and her wreaking havoc on the whole Deveraux clan) are really just characters interacting.  Even the story of Phillip supposedly being scared for his life is being played out more for the interpersonal drama than the dire consequences drama (especially since I don't think any of us believe Phillip will actually get killed off).  

True, dead is only a minor inconvenience on this show anymore.   Heck, in the past Philip has apparently regenerated both a leg and sperm so why not kneecaps if the Vitalis get a hold of him. lol 

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe if Sarah ever went to work she would know that Lani and Eli's twins had been kidnapped. And Lani? Your "I'm a cop, I interrogate people for a living" schtick was as convincing as when Ciara pulled the "I'm good at interrogating people because my parents were cops".

I turned it off after Bonnie threatened to smash Maggie's (truly hideous) porcelain figurine. So, not sure on what happened after, but despite the fact it's Bonnie she's reacting to, this does seem over the top for Maggie?

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I would be shocked if he isn't a child of rape. As soon as he told the story of his dad, I was like yep his dad raped Ava. Ron loves rape.

 

Please don't put it out there, I hope he is not a child of rape. Why can't it simply that Ava did not want him and she did not bond with him as a baby.  I do think it is a bit out of character because Ava in her original stint was obsessed with babies, it made no sense that she would reject a baby of hers.  However, we all know that Ron only cares about his plot-driven stories even if it does not jive with the character's prior history..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

There's an old episode of the Brady Bunch where Cindy loses her Kitty Karryall doll, and Bobby buys her a replacement after being wrongly accused of stealing it (Spoiler alert: it was Tiger). But she doesn't want or like the new doll because it's not the same as her old one in her mind, and just tosses it off to the side.  This is rather what I envision for Ron's inspiration for Ava. 😁 It would also make her father the dog in this scenario too.

224115.jpg

 

The new Calliope and Eugene?

Eugene/Calliope were better more likeable characters but yeah I do see shades of them with the wackiness etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, nilyank said:

I thought it was an interesting to note the parallel of Steve realizing that Jack was his brother but he also was the man that raped Kayla. Tripp has to walk the tightrope of reaching this newfound brother whom he could relate to on one level but also knowing what Charlie did was really reprehensible.

I don't know why the first thing I thought of re: the bolded was the movie Scream (not sure which one) that had both Neve Campbell and Scott Foley.   I'm spoiler tagging in case anyone didn't see that movie and how it ended:

Spoiler

Neve's character realizes that Scott's character was the Scream (Ghostface) killer - and he tried to kill her too because he was jealous their mom chose to raise her while abandoning him.  When he lies dying, Neve holds his hand for a few seconds because she sees their connection as siblings, but then - of course, he's a serial killer so she pulls her hand away.  Anyway, that's what immediately came to my mind reading the bolded.

18 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Xander worked best as a pop up villain and Sarah was a lot better when she  dumped Rex after finding out he knocked up Mimi etc. However this pairing doesn't help either character as you pointed out Xander isn't believable as a leading man and Sarah is dumbed down to be with him. Sad thing is I think the actors do have chemistry and have this screwball factor that reminds me of an 80s soap couple. However their actual history says otherwise.... at this point the show is so terrible that I'm actually overlooking how problematic this all is because the rest of the show is worse than they are.

Yeah, I get that vibe about them too.

8 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

The new Calliope and Eugene?

OK, not that much of a screwball vibe...🤪

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

I turned it off after Bonnie threatened to smash Maggie's (truly hideous) porcelain figurine. So, not sure on what happened after, but despite the fact it's Bonnie she's reacting to, this does seem over the top for Maggie?

It's Bonnie. I forgive Maggie. Because being around Bonnie is torture. (Adrienne was killed for this thing again...WHY?!)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I don't know why the first thing I thought of re: the bolded was the movie Scream (not sure which one) that had both Neve Campbell and Scott Foley.   I'm spoiler tagging in case anyone didn't see that movie and how it ended:

  Reveal spoiler

Neve's character realizes that Scott's character was the Scream (Ghostface) killer - and he tried to kill her too because he was jealous their mom chose to raise her while abandoning him.  When he lies dying, Neve holds his hand for a few seconds because she sees their connection as siblings, but then - of course, he's a serial killer so she pulls her hand away.  Anyway, that's what immediately came to my mind reading the bolded.

Yeah, I get that vibe about them too.

OK, not that much of a screwball vibe...🤪

Scream 3 BTW

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Had a power outage because of a rare Canadian prairie snowsquall. Huge winds. So, the show stopped with about 5 or so minutes left and my DVR didn't return to functionality for about 1.5 hours.

What an ugly figurine that Bonnie was going to drop. Hardly priceless. If it is worth that much, it should be in a glass cabinet.

Was Maggie right to call Bonnie all sorts of names and bring up her transgressions? I dunno. She is Justin's guest and should not be treated like that. What you think of her privately is one thing.

Gwen sold her story to the Salem tabloid? Poor Abs and Chad. Chad resigned? Now Jake is boss? Hi Gabi at the end!

Sarah, one does not blab unnecessary stuff to the cops. Yeah, maybe Xander thought he could get Lani's babies for her, but that was a fleeting thought. How nice of her to speak for him and offer his help to find Dr. Raynor.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree. I love it lol.

Sometimes I think about you when I'm watching JKJ make his bizarro acting choices.  At least someone is enjoying him.  

While Billy Flynn is making me like Chad enough that I kinda hoped Abigail would forgive him, it was smart of her to leave and take a break from him.  Well, unless he becomes so broken that his life is falling apart that he does something else stupid.  

You say Potato, I say Po-tah-to.  That fight between Maggie and Bonnie felt out-of-left-field but I liked Justin saying that Bonnie was changing, and Maggie saying that she was becoming a more polished troublemaker.  Ask ten people the same question and get ten different answers.

26 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Sarah, one does not blab unnecessary stuff to the cops.

She probably hasn't watched enough true crime documentaries to realize that you never talk to the cops without a lawyer present.  Plus, her life of privilege.  But I appreciated seeing Xander and Sarah have a dispute over philosophical differences.  It's one of the few things I find interesting about them as a couple.  Probably the only thing.  

Here's Gabi!  I was wondering when she'd be back to chew her way through the scenery.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I loved Gabi's jacket but people wearing jackets over their shoulders and not putting their arms in the sleeves is one of my greatest pet peeves.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I still don’t know why they just don’t un-dead Adrienne?! I’d much prefer her then Bonnie. Bonnie has no ties to anyone in Salem. I guess RC finds Bonnie more interesting but Adrienne has two brothers, a boat load of off screen sons & frickin Justin. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved Gabi's jacket but people wearing jackets over their shoulders and not putting their arms in the sleeves is one of my greatest pet peeves.

Random pet peeve but funny 😄

I watched yesterday's episode...aka the Parade of Hypocrites! ...and couldn't believe Abigail. Marci plays her as a more decent human being, but lady, you both cheated on Chad and killed people during your "Gabby" episode - maybe cut him some slack here, see through Gwen's manipulations and show her that her attempted scheme failed. Be annoyed later or at least use your two brain cells to realize you are 200% the more difficult one in the relationship and Chad has been beyond gracious in putting up with you. You and your mother, FFS! Get over yourselves!

Kate gets points for trying to help save Chad's marriage, even though she knows Abigail is a lousy match for Chad. That's love right there.

I loved Maggie reading Bonnie for filth because it's exactly what we've all been saying for months now...she gotta go! But....Ron won't let this go...so.....WTH is the point of this? Showing how stupid Justin is? Or how Maggie, who lives with a literal mob boss who has killed people and lied to her repeatedly, has no self awareness? What's the payoff here?? I prefer Bonnie to Adrienne, no question, but this isn't the way to showcase how fun the character can be. She clearly wants Justin because she knows she can work him....hardly the signs of a repentant sinner. So can we end this mess of a redemption arc? Cause if Ron thinks its working, as Maggie brilliantly said, "No. Just....NO."

I liked the flashback to Sarah and Xander's earlier conversation about the twins and how it didn't lead to pointless drama, but was explored and resolved quickly...and by Lani of all people. They could have milked it, and they didn't.

Jake being appointed CEO was moronic, not funny, not cute, just dumb. Really now.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I kinda thought the Bonnie/Maggie thing came out of left field following the Christmas episode with them. I get Maggie's issues with her, but it still felt a bit like contrived drama to give Maggie a scene.  And what the devil was the deal with those figurines?!? Have they been there before and I never noticed them or did Ron clean out his grandma's attic and donated them to the set props department rather than have a yard sale during a pandemic? I sorta feel as if they'd have gotten broken in the Kiriakis living room a long time ago given the stabbings, fireplace poker attacks, and other various incidents of struggle and violence that has occurred there.  None the less, in the end the biggest take-away I had from the whole scene was that Justin could have avoided the whole thing by simply having his own place. Most 50+ attorneys who want to date and bring women home generally do. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Abigail was upset at Chad for believing Gwen over her.  And she was right that he did the same thing with Gabi. She did however ask Kate the wrong question.  Abby thinks Chad believed them because they are attractive.  When we all heard when he was drunk he believed them because a part of him is mad at her and resents her and her Illness. 
     Chad needs to look at himself and ask why am I so easily brainwashed?

Justin/Bonnie ?? Why ?

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, tribeca said:

     Chad needs to look at himself and ask why am I so easily brainwashed?

It's even more pathetic when you take into account that he's Stefano's son, the man who used to do all the brainwashing.  Chad should probably seek out Gullible Anonymous.... and take Claire with him. 

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

And what the devil was the deal with those figurines?!? Have they been there before and I never noticed them or did Ron clean out his grandma's attic and donated them to the set props department rather than have a yard sale during a pandemic?

I don't remember those figurines specifically but I think Maggie's fondness for expensive trinkets has been dealt with before.  Didn't Claire break one in a fit of rage, and Ciara fixed it for her?  Something like that .  It's not new but it's been awhile.  

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah the dumb figurines subplot was introduced by Ron a while back. I forget when...but maybe when Bonnie was sinking her hooks into Victor two-ish years ago? I do remember that Claire scene though. Anyway they were just as shoehorned in then as they were this week, suddenly all over the tables and waiting to be knocked over. Ron could have just had the set people install a glass cabinet for them somewhere in that livingroom and then reference them on occasion rather than have them awkwardly appear only whenever they need to be threatened with destruction. 

And could they BE any cheaper-looking? Seriously I've seen those for a dollar each at junk shops. If you're going to claim Maggie collects something expensive, at least pick something that kinda sorta might be valuable.

...and why saddle poor Maggie with this hobby? Hardly flattering. They try to keep the gals of Salem as "glamorous" as possible for as long as possible so why give her such an "old granny" hobby? Julie runs a freaking restaurant, Kate runs companies (and her mouth, woooaaah!) and Marlena is Ben's on-call fluffer 24/7 ....so why does Maggie get the crappy "porcelain" doll collection?

Yeah, I agree this sudden Bonnie Bitch Fest ran in stark contrast to her tolerance of Bonnie on Xmas, but I'm guessing two different writers wrote the episodes...and also, isn't it totally the ugly truth about Christmas that people act like generous open-hearted souls for two days and then promptly revert to their true selves immediately afterwards? False niceties are the tradition, aren't they?

I'm on Team Maggie, even if she's flip flopping and being a hypocrite because where the HELL does Justin get off forcing Bonnie on these people?? If he wants to bone Imitation Adrienne, he should just do it elsewhere in privacy and in shame.

But then this show is 85% people bafflingly running around screaming at victims to forgive and celebrate their attackers. Ciara for Ben, Brady and Lani for Kristen, Chad and Jennifer for Abigail, Justin for Bonnie....

Sigh.

*throws porcelain doll on the floor, and passes Maggie a dollar*

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

you both cheated on Chad and killed people during your "Gabby" episode

But in "Gabby"s mind, she is/was not married, which made her free to sleep with Stephan.

 

4 hours ago, tribeca said:

Bonnie ?? Why ?

I read somewhere that Judi prefers playing Bonnie because that character is more like her own personality, whereas Adrienne is pretty dull IMO. Plus, there would be no way to explain Adrienne's change of personality if all-of-a-sudden she became "un-dead".

  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, tribeca said:

When we all heard when he was drunk he believed them because a part of him is mad at her and resents her and her Illness. 

I keep wishing Gwen had recorded that and would play it for Abigail. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yeah the dumb figurines subplot was introduced by Ron a while back. I forget when...but maybe when Bonnie was sinking her hooks into Victor two-ish years ago? I do remember that Claire scene though. Anyway they were just as shoehorned in then as they were this week, suddenly all over the tables and waiting to be knocked over. Ron could have just had the set people install a glass cabinet for them somewhere in that livingroom and then reference them on occasion rather than have them awkwardly appear only whenever they need to be threatened with destruction. 

And could they BE any cheaper-looking? Seriously I've seen those for a dollar each at junk shops. If you're going to claim Maggie collects something expensive, at least pick something that kinda sorta might be valuable.

...and why saddle poor Maggie with this hobby? Hardly flattering. They try to keep the gals of Salem as "glamorous" as possible for as long as possible so why give her such an "old granny" hobby? Julie runs a freaking restaurant, Kate runs companies (and her mouth, woooaaah!) and Marlena is Ben's on-call fluffer 24/7 ....so why does Maggie get the crappy "porcelain" doll collection?

Yeah, I agree this sudden Bonnie Bitch Fest ran in stark contrast to her tolerance of Bonnie on Xmas, but I'm guessing two different writers wrote the episodes...and also, isn't it totally the ugly truth about Christmas that people act like generous open-hearted souls for two days and then promptly revert to their true selves immediately afterwards? False niceties are the tradition, aren't they?

I'm on Team Maggie, even if she's flip flopping and being a hypocrite because where the HELL does Justin get off forcing Bonnie on these people?? If he wants to bone Imitation Adrienne, he should just do it elsewhere in privacy and in shame.

But then this show is 85% people bafflingly running around screaming at victims to forgive and celebrate their attackers. Ciara for Ben, Brady and Lani for Kristen, Chad and Jennifer for Abigail, Justin for Bonnie....

Sigh.

*throws porcelain doll on the floor, and passes Maggie a dollar*

Amen to this. If I could both 'heart' and 'ha-ha' it I would.  Since I went with the love, let me say thanks for a good laugh at the end. 

*passes out cheap figurines for everyone so we can all smash them when this show frustrates us* 😁

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

 

 

...and why saddle poor Maggie with this hobby? Hardly flattering. They try to keep the gals of Salem as "glamorous" as possible for as long as possible so why give her such an "old granny" hobby? Julie runs a freaking restaurant, Kate runs companies (and her mouth, woooaaah!) and Marlena is Ben's on-call fluffer 24/7 ....so why does Maggie get the crappy "porcelain" doll collection?

 

*throws porcelain doll on the floor, and passes Maggie a dollar*

Kate is also with a younger man that seems to adore her for now.  Marlene husband may not be the brightest but he does love Marlena.  Maggie is married to a man that is the exact opposite of Maggie’s beliefs.  Let her have her Figurines.  

Edited by tribeca
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

But in "Gabby"s mind, she is/was not married, which made her free to sleep with Stephan.

 

I read somewhere that Judi prefers playing Bonnie because that character is more like her own personality, whereas Adrienne is pretty dull IMO. Plus, there would be no way to explain Adrienne's change of personality if all-of-a-sudden she became "un-dead".

Maybe it's because I didn't watch the show in the 80's but I have little use for Adrienne. She's a boring, stuck-up busybody.  The only reason the character was brought back (in red hair) was to react to Stefan Cassadine coming back as Patch. No wonder Judi prefers Bonnie. I'm assuming Ron prefers Bonnie, too. She's basically Roxie from OLTL with a Texas accent.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

...and why saddle poor Maggie with this hobby? Hardly flattering. They try to keep the gals of Salem as "glamorous" as possible for as long as possible so why give her such an "old granny" hobby? Julie runs a freaking restaurant, Kate runs companies (and her mouth, woooaaah!) and Marlena is Ben's on-call fluffer 24/7 ....so why does Maggie get the crappy "porcelain" doll collection?

I may be forgetting an explanation, but what happened to the restaurant that Maggie ran? Chez Rouge? I can't remember. She also had that restaurant Tuscany a long time ago, and I can't remember what happened to that one, either.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gwen is really growing on me as an actress, she puts a lot of thought into everything she says. I felt her emotion today finally telling Jack who she was to him (even though we all guessed it eons ago)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Today was a banner episode in that we got the return of Dr. Rolf and Gabi, two of my favorite characters. 

And while I'm annoyed at both Chad and Tony's acting like Jake's being a mechanic makes him somehow less than, I did like Tony's asking what will happen when Jake meets a woman who is just as special and beautiful as Kate but who is also younger--and Gabi reappears 🙂 I did like Kate's defending Jake while taking a jab at Anna's intelligence--you go Kate!

Gwen continues to be awesome and I like how she's not even hiding her plans to destroy Princess Abs' family and the final reveal that she's Jack's daughter--now the tea's going to get spilled.

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Gwen is really growing on me as an actress, she puts a lot of thought into everything she says. I felt her emotion today finally telling Jack who she was to him (even though we all guessed it eons ago)

 

I don't really feel anything for the actress or the character other than annoyance. 

Major annoyance at how many characters' histories are going to be twisted and tied into knots beyond recognition in order to make her work.

 

  Major annoyance at how she's been eating up all this screen time and will continue to do so to where I'm going to be expected to give a crap about HER, a newbie nobody's pain and angst, while the veterans and legacy characters will continue to show up once/twice a week as support and will eventually have to forgive and forget to make her character work.  In no way will this end up being about Jack.  He will just be there to apologize and beg Gwen for forgiveness for whatever made up, BS excuse they come up with for why he wasn't around.  Never mind, we never really got to see JJ or Abigail, have any POV about missing out on their father all the times he was dead.  This show really didn't need another retcon kid.  And I guess they are going to try revise history some more and play it that Jack doesn't care about JJ as much as Abigail, despite that not having any truth to it,  to justify Gwen. 

And I really hope Jack, Jennifer, Abigail, etc. are smart enough (doubtful, considering how they've all been made to look stupid for Gwen to be successful up to this point) to not just take her word as any kind of objective truth. They have absolutely NO reason to believe anything she says.  They KNOW she's a liar.  All she's got is some newspaper clippings about all of them and could be pulling all this out of thin air.  Nothing she SAYS is worth anything.  The only proof they should accept is a blood test w/ multiple members of that family.  No time should be wasted with anything coming out of her mouth.  I'm (and they all should as well) going to need something more as proof.  

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Maybe it's because I didn't watch the show in the 80's but I have little use for Adrienne. She's a boring, stuck-up busybody.  The only reason the character was brought back (in red hair) was to react to Stefan Cassadine coming back as Patch. No wonder Judi prefers Bonnie. I'm assuming Ron prefers Bonnie, too. She's basically Roxie from OLTL with a Texas accent.

Yes! I'm with you 100% on the assessment in bold.  I've not seen OLTL, but I did watch Days in the 80s and it's a big part of the reason I can't stand Adrienne so seeing the old shows might actually cement your impression of her even more rather than lessen it.  From the day Adrienne show up in town, she was a pain in the ass. Her attempts to get to know her "big brother Stevie" and insert herself and their mother into his life was annoying and often caused problems for him and Kayla.  Then she met Justin and was whiney, annoying, and boring with him too. I know they developed a fan base who wouldn't agree with that, but as a 'supercouple' they always put me to sleep.  While I can't say I'm a fan of Bonnie's, I will say that if I have to have one of them on screen, I'd take Bonnie over Adrienne. 

Share this post


Link to post

Nice to see Gwen's story finally coming to it's big reveal. About time.  Always good to see Rolf on screen though sort-of disappointed we didn't get his rendition of it. Here's hoping Chad has a flashback tomorrow when he tells it to Abs. 

Jack doesn't seem like a very good newspaper editor if he's not keeping up with the competition and breaking news. Half of Salem read about Chad sleeping with Gwen, and Jack was only now getting a news tip about Chad's firing.  I suppose that's why he and Jennifer looked at Abigail's suitcase like it was a kilo of coke or a rabid dog instead of luggage. 

Jack is going to have to tread the line carefully when/if he has it out with his son-in-law. After all, they are both in the same doghouse. 

Just one of these days I want someone to check into the Salem Inn only to be told by the desk clerk, "Sorry we have no vacancies."  A significant portion of Salem appears to reside there.  Clearly there are no restrictions on the rooms being long term rentals. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

"Did you bring me a cake with a file in it?"

DiMera Enterprises has a new office set.  And the logo they were using in Paris.

Ooh, Jake's going by DiMera now that he's in charge.

Dammit!  Just as Show starts, NBC interrupts for non-news.

And then it came back with twenty minutes left.

Oh, hello, Kate.

Yep.  There it is.  Now, who's her mother?

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, KBrownie said:

 

I don't really feel anything for the actress or the character other than annoyance. 

Major annoyance at how many characters' histories are going to be twisted and tied into knots beyond recognition in order to make her work.

 

  Major annoyance at how she's been eating up all this screen time and will continue to do so to where I'm going to be expected to give a crap about HER, a newbie nobody's pain and angst, while the veterans and legacy characters will continue to show up once/twice a week as support and will eventually have to forgive and forget to make her character work.  In no way will this end up being about Jack.  He will just be there to apologize and beg Gwen for forgiveness for whatever made up, BS excuse they come up with for why he wasn't around.  Never mind, we never really got to see JJ or Abigail, have any POV about missing out on their father all the times he was dead.  This show really didn't need another retcon kid.  And I guess they are going to try revise history some more and play it that Jack doesn't care about JJ as much as Abigail, despite that not having any truth to it,  to justify Gwen. 

And I really hope Jack, Jennifer, Abigail, etc. are smart enough (doubtful, considering how they've all been made to look stupid for Gwen to be successful up to this point) to not just take her word as any kind of objective truth. They have absolutely NO reason to believe anything she says.  They KNOW she's a liar.  All she's got is some newspaper clippings about all of them and could be pulling all this out of thin air.  Nothing she SAYS is worth anything.  The only proof they should accept is a blood test w/ multiple members of that family.  No time should be wasted with anything coming out of her mouth.  I'm (and they all should as well) going to need something more as proof.  

 

 

UGH - I've posted many times I wish Abigail & JJ were the only Devereaux kids because this show is TOO DAMN incestuous with all the half & step siblings as it is.  And yes, to the above that NOBODY should just take Gwen's word for it. 

Finally, it's SO DAMN STUPID that this story started with Gwen wanted to destroy Abby (and for a while, *only* Abby). It's not her fault Jack wasn't a father to Gwen!!!  For months, DOOL made it clear that it was Abby who was the target and that's how they presented it on screen. Now they want to pretend the audience has amnesia and Gwen's revenge encapsulates the whole Devereaux clan?   [I'm glad JJ is not part of this crap, but Gwen harbors no ill will there?!]  Such a moronic story. 

4 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

And then it came back with twenty minutes left.

@Silver Raven  You must be on the West Coast of the US like me.  Same thing happened here.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

As @norcalgal notes, why is Gwen not seeking revenge on JJ too? I mean, plot-logic is because JJ isn't on the show right now. But it's a valid point. Also, how is Jack supposed to acknowledge a child he didn't know existed? The entire storyline has clearly been made up as they went along. It started with shoehorning in it was Gwen, not Gabi, who drugged Abigail, and it just spiraled from there.

What did Chad do before he found out he was a Dimera? He wasn't raised in that family, so why doesn't Tony have a problem with him being CEO? Isn't Chad's background just as blue collar as Jake's?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

What did Chad do before he found out he was a Dimera? He wasn't raised in that family, so why doesn't Tony have a problem with him being CEO? Isn't Chad's background just as blue collar as Jake's?

Wasn't his mother the DA?

 

Share this post


Link to post

“You should never leave proof that you’re scum of the Earth...just lying around.” with a small smile and casual head tilt. 

😂 ⚰️  I fucking love Anna sometimes. She’s so unbothered and zero fucks. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Wasn't his mother the DA?

I honestly can't remember. So he's perhaps not as blue collar as Jake, but the point is that Tony is totally hypocritical in his assertion that Jake-as-a-mechanic cannot be CEO, but seemingly had no issue with Chad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

What did Chad do before he found out he was a Dimera? He wasn't raised in that family, so why doesn't Tony have a problem with him being CEO? Isn't Chad's background just as blue collar as Jake's?

 

9 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Wasn't his mother the DA?

Chad's mom was a judge who off-screen had hooked up with Stefano at some point.  I think Chad's stepdad was the DA.  But Chad was portrayed as sort of a rebellious teenager, not an elite child despite his white collar upbringing. He got a girl pregnant and could be smart-alecky. I remember one time he called Stefano out on using everyone's formal name. The original actor did a good job with him, and I liked his character back then. This Chad though, I find a dork.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

That was a strange scene with Kate and Tony today.  Why was tony telling her how special and beautiful she was.  Why the weird 25 year flashback.  Kate saying he would not know her back then.  
was this a hint he is Andre or just filler. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

What did Chad do before he found out he was a Dimera? He wasn't raised in that family, so why doesn't Tony have a problem with him being CEO? Isn't Chad's background just as blue collar as Jake's?

Chad was always well off. His mother was a judge and his father was the District Attorney (played by actor David Leisure). Years earlier before marriage/starting her law career, mom actually worked as high class call girl along with her buddy Kate when they both worked for Stefano.

 

54 minutes ago, tribeca said:

That was a strange scene with Kate and Tony today.  Why was tony telling her how special and beautiful she was.  Why the weird 25 year flashback.  Kate saying he would not know her back then.  
was this a hint he is Andre or just filler. 

This episode was supposed to originally be aired on Monday, Jan 25. Lauren Koslow joined Days on Jan 25, 1996

 twenty five years earlier.

Edited by nilyank · Reason: Math
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Chad was always well off. His mother was a judge and his father was the District Attorney (played by actor David Leisure). Years earlier before marriage/starting her law career, mom actually worked as high class call girl along with her buddy Kate when they both worked for Stefano.

 

This episode was supposed to originally be aired on Monday, Jan 25. Lauren Koslow joined Days on Jan 25, 1995, twenty five years earlier.

Actually it was 1996 hence 25 years as we're in 2021. Surprisingly she's been consistently here since 1996 as many other vets have come and gone since.

3 hours ago, norcalgal said:

UGH - I've posted many times I wish Abigail & JJ were the only Devereaux kids because this show is TOO DAMN incestuous with all the half & step siblings as it is.  And yes, to the above that NOBODY should just take Gwen's word for it. 

Finally, it's SO DAMN STUPID that this story started with Gwen wanted to destroy Abby (and for a while, *only* Abby). It's not her fault Jack wasn't a father to Gwen!!!  For months, DOOL made it clear that it was Abby who was the target and that's how they presented it on screen. Now they want to pretend the audience has amnesia and Gwen's revenge encapsulates the whole Devereaux clan?   [I'm glad JJ is not part of this crap, but Gwen harbors no ill will there?!]  Such a moronic story. 

@Silver Raven  You must be on the West Coast of the US like me.  Same thing happened here.

MyJJ is an afterthought its a double edged sword on the one hand when he actually visits he could be used in times like these instead of just standing around being useless and we go "Oh yeah he exists" . Other times he's less damaged this way. 

I wish Casey would find a gig where I know he won't be completely wasted by the writers and leave Days behind(who knows how many days are left at this rate..)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I liked Rolf telling Chad that Gwen drugged Abigail - starting last spring - and that Gabi was just the scapegoat because she had previously drugged Abs. The family owes her an apology.

Jake can't resist a beautiful woman. Gabi's dress was a little short, but that is her style. And of course Kate walks in when Gabi plants one on Jake.

I liked Anna's jacket. How cute of her to accidentally trip Gwen?

So Gwen is Jack's daughter. Why get revenge on Jack's other kids, and especially Abigail - who has done nothing to her except exist. Jealousy? You go after the daddy aka Jack. He hadn't a clue that he had another kid. I hope that Jack and Jennifer do serious DNA tests to confirm any of this. Gwen has lied repeatedly, has come across as a bit odd with her newspaper clipping collection. Why would they believe anything she says? Does she have her birth certificate?

Surely there could have been a different reason other than some retconned kid who is now probably a 30 year old plus adult.

Edited by Frozendiva
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I liked Rolf telling Chad that Gwen drugged Abigail - starting last spring - and that Gabi was just the scapegoat because she had previously drugged Abs. The family owes he an apology.

Jake can't resist a beautiful woman. Gabi's dress was a little short, but that is her style. And of course Kate walks in when Gabi plants one on Jake.

I liked Anna's jacket. How cute of her to accidentally trip Gwen?

So Gwen is Jack's daughter. Why get revenge on Jack's other kids, and especially Abigail - who has done nothing to her except exist. Jealousy? You go after the daddy aka Jack. He hadn't a clue that he had another kid. I hope that Jack and Jennifer do serious DNA tests to confirm any of this. Gwen has lied repeatedly, has come across as a bit odd with her newspaper clipping collection. Why would they believe anything she says? Does she have her birth certificate?

Surely there could have been a different reason other than some retconned kid who is now probably a 30 year old plus adult.

ITA to all this!!!  And is Gwen supposed to be older or younger than Abby/JJ? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I keep wishing Gwen had recorded that and would play it for Abigail. 

Great idea, and it serves as more evidence that Gwen-as-a-Villain isn't quite ready to take her training-wheels off.  That said, I loved Anna vs. Gwen.  Gwen has a way of taking insults from others like a duck letting the water roll off its back, and in some ways, it makes her more frightening than her amateurish scheming.  

8 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Always good to see Rolf on screen though sort-of disappointed we didn't get his rendition of it

William Utay is such an entertainer that I, too, felt a little disappointed that we didn't get to hear his version.  But I was also thinking, are they really going to have Dr Rolf reveal Gwen's motivation and cheat Gwen out her BIG MONOLOGUE???  Nope.  

 

Shouldn't Jake's CEO office have more of a skyline view?  Is the DiMera Enterprises CEO on the ground floor with the trees?

Whatever Cady McClain did with her face and eyes when Gwen opened her hotel room door was some awesome that I watched it 3 more times.   

Gosh, I've been watching the show off-and-on for 25 years now.  I started watching for the Demon Possession but I remember Kate chopping the head off of the fish, probably because I loved Lauren Koslow when she was on Y&R and B&B.  

Gwen is blind with rage and possibly mentally unstable, so it won't be too difficult to suspend disbelief over how she's primarily targeted Abigail in her plot for revenge.  While the overall plot is relatively sloppy, there have been enough entertaining character moments along the way to appease me.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

If Gwen has come 2 years earlier she would have had to sleep with Chad’s nurse and only had Jack’s headstone to nibble her fingers at. 

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size