Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Shouldn't Jake's CEO office have more of a skyline view?  Is the DiMera Enterprises CEO on the ground floor with the trees?

That foliage was so distracting. Took me a minute to decide if it was a painting or an actual window clouded by plants. Is the Dimera landscaping crew on strike?

• LOL 7

Lawd I hope they don’t bring on some annoying woman to play Janice Raincheck or what Gwen’s mom’s name is. 

Kate’s outfit made her look like she was gonna be in some rap video about flossing. 

The actresses hair and makeup have been 💯 amazing since they returned and that’s such a compliment since they do both themselves because of covid. 

Gabi’s looking real desperate it’s embarrassing. 

I’m enjoying Abby this week. MM really injects some some nuance and reasoning to this character. KM would have played this material super smug and shrill. 

• Love 9

L. O. L.

There is like, no way that Jack is actually crazy Gwen's father.  

She's either still lying as part of her big plan, someone has told her a bunch of lies, or she's just simply off her rocker and has made up this entire story from all her little newspaper clippings.  

NOTHING she spewed today confirms or proves anything.  And how convenient for her that she doesn't "trust" DNA tests in Salem, but they should just trust what she's saying.  The timeline doesn't even make sense, not even by soap standards.

This all would have had to take place and she made it seem like it all happened before Jack even knew Jennifer and had a relationship/family with her.  This would have been BEFORE all the more recent times that he was MIA because he was dead, kidnapped, had amnesia, etc.  I could maybe buy he doesn't remember every person he ever slept with, but the part about sending money for years?  Jack flat out denied that and it seems he would have come clean if it were true.

I don't feel sorry for her in the least.  Why should I?  She's a nobody who has to be pushing 40 who's done nothing but purposefully hurt others.  And she's waited all this time for her big revenge?  Grow up.  Get a hobby and move on.  Her tears are the Friday cliffhanger?  Please.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 6

I don't know who is more delusional: Gabi, for thinking after one romp in the sack, she and Jake have "something special", or Gwen, who has clearly swallowed the lies told by Mama Tiffany.

Absolutely nothing Gwen said can be proved - even by her. "My mom told me, my mom told me..." with no thought that her mom might not have been telling her the truth. But why target Jack, specifically?

Find bank records. Go to the neighbouring town and get a paternity test. Find a bloody birth certificate.

This storyline is seriously being made up as we go.

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, KBrownie said:

She's either still lying as part of her big plan, someone has told her a bunch of lies, or she's just simply off her rocker and has made up this entire story from all her little newspaper clippings.  

NOTHING she spewed today confirms or proves anything.  And how convenient for her that she doesn't "trust" DNA tests in Salem, but they should just trust what she's saying.  The timeline doesn't even make sense, not even by soap standards.

I wouldn't trust DNA tests in Salem either, but I don't know why they don't just go to another town to have them run.  Seemed kinda silly when Jack metaphorically threw his hands in the air and just said there's no way to prove this.  There has to be a money trail to follow based off what Gween said about the payments, hospital birth records, other information about Gwen's deceased mother. Good thing Jack's brother runs a detective agency.  Now how long will it take before Jack makes an appointment with Black Patch. Or will the Deverauxs just scratch their heads for months. 

2 hours ago, brisbydog said:

I assumed right away that mom lied to Gwen. Either Harper paid her off or Tiffany Nobody was not her mom

I had the same thought. Tiffany might have raised her and known Jack was her father, but she wasn't the mother.  Great point about Harper; I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. Too bad JC isn't around anymore to reprieve the role for an appearance. Or Tiffany was paid by the real mother, and that's who Tiffany really came to Salem to see that time when Gwen was a child. 

3 hours ago, KBrownie said:

This all would have had to take place and she made it seem like it all happened before Jack even knew Jennifer and had a relationship/family with her

I wasn't expecting the timeline they gave. Jack showed up in Salem in '87, making Gwen born probably around '85 or '86.  Jennifer was just showing up in Salem around then (as in the time Gwen was born) as a teenager in high school.  So Jennifer shouldn't be too put out about Jack having another kid since this all went down long before they were ever together.  In fact, Gwen's mother, whoever she is, would predate Kayla, Melissa, all the hookers he slept with, and Jennifer's mother. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I’m enjoying Abby this week. MM really injects some some nuance and reasoning to this character. KM would have played this material super smug and shrill. 

THIS!  I could never feel empathy for Abby because KM always acted hysterical/shrill.  So glad MM is back. If Chad & Abby have to be on canvas, I hope MM plays Abigail from now on.

1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

Absolutely nothing Gwen said can be proved - even by her. "My mom told me, my mom told me..." with no thought that her mom might not have been telling her the truth. But why target Jack, specifically?

Find bank records. Go to the neighbouring town and get a paternity test. Find a bloody birth certificate.

This storyline is seriously being made up as we go.

ITA to all those who chimed in with various ways they COULD prove whether or not Gwen is Jack's daughter.  I'll give show the benefit of the doubt and assume DOOL will investigate other ways to prove the father/daughter relationship between Jack & Gwen.

1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

I had the same thought. Tiffany might have raised her and known Jack was her father, but she wasn't the mother.  Great point about Harper; I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. Too bad JC isn't around anymore to reprieve the role for an appearance. Or Tiffany was paid by the real mother, and that's who Tiffany really came to Salem to see that time when Gwen was a child. 

I wasn't expecting the timeline they gave. Jack showed up in Salem in '87, making Gwen born probably around '85 or '86.  Jennifer was just showing up in Salem around then (as in the time Gwen was born) as a teenager in high school.  So Jennifer shouldn't be too put out about Jack having another kid since this all went down long before they were ever together.  In fact, Gwen's mother, whoever she is, would predate Kayla, Melissa, all the hookers he slept with, and Jennifer's mother. 

I'm not bothering to do the math (hey, if DOOL can't be bothered to put forward this storyline coherently/logically, why should I put in the extra effort?!), but is it possible Harper is actually Gwen's father?  I know Harper is dead (unless Rolf was working his magic serum even back then) but would the timeline work for Harper to be Gwen's father before he died?

12 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Gwen doesn't sound like she comes from Peoria.

Gwen explained that, but with another eyerolling story (that mum moved them to England to crash at a friend's house until the money ran out, then Gwen became a ward of the state).

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I'm not bothering to do the math (hey, if DOOL can't be bothered to put forward this storyline coherently/logically, why should I put in the extra effort?!), but is it possible Harper is actually Gwen's father?  I know Harper is dead (unless Rolf was working his magic serum even back then) but would the timeline work for Harper to be Gwen's father before he died?

No, Harper was established to be sterile. It's why Jack was adopted, and Angelica's baby was Justin's.  Rolf would have had to have worked his magic on Harper's peen and then unworked it.  Stranger things have happened in Salem, but with the actor deceased I'm doubtful they'll go that retcon route other than maybe mentioning that he payed Gwen's mom. It does sound like something Harper would have done if he didn't want an out of wedlock baby to a cocktail waitress wrecking Jack's future political career.  After all, he poisoned Kayla to shut her up about a secret she didn't even know, and then he went on a serial killing rampage out of his hatred of women. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Not to mention Isn’t/wasn’t Jack an investigative reporter?

He's supposed to be, but it would appear he's currently not a very good one. As it played out, even Gabi returning from out of town knew about Chad before he did.  Since Steve just solved the Allie rapist 'mystery' I'd put my money to him if I was Jack. Besides, MA and SN generally have good chemistry so it would be good for Days to use the opportunity for some screen time between them on a useful venture.  It would give John something to do too beside cry over Christmas movies.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Gosh I love Gwen 

Ugh same. She is so engaging to me.

1 hour ago, brisbydog said:

I am really liking Cady as Jennifer. A lot more depth. Anybody else preferring her to Missy?

I agree with this as well. At first she was so OTT (which I loved lol) and now she's become a little more settled but still interesting and fun.

• Love 5

That was weird as hell btw they had the 60 yr old man acting like he had never seen It’s A Wonderful Life before and to the point he was distraught saying to his wife “he’s going to kill himself! I hope he make it’s at the end, (sob) Doc ”.  It’s one of my faves so besides being dubious it was disrespectful. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

No, Harper was established to be sterile. It's why Jack was adopted, and Angelica's baby was Justin's.  Rolf would have had to have worked his magic on Harper's peen and then unworked it.  Stranger things have happened in Salem, but with the actor deceased I'm doubtful they'll go that retcon route other than maybe mentioning that he payed Gwen's mom. It does sound like something Harper would have done if he didn't want an out of wedlock baby to a cocktail waitress wrecking Jack's future political career.  After all, he poisoned Kayla to shut her up about a secret she didn't even know, and then he went on a serial killing rampage out of his hatred of women. 

Harper being a serial killer was such a wonderful story and it made sense because he hated all women.. Harper was a great villain played by a fantastic actor and it was the era when the show was not obsessed with Stefano and his family.  We were able to have other villains with their own axe to grind..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6

Threatening and paying off Gwen's mom is definitely more Harper than pre 1987 Jack. The Jack we first met was honest and motivated to do the right thing. He only broke after he found out about Kayla and especially the Billy reveal. I still doubt that would give him a kid with someone we have never heard of though 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Threatening and paying off Gwen's mom is definitely more Harper than pre 1987 Jack. The Jack we first met was honest and motivated to do the right thing. He only broke after he found out about Kayla and especially the Billy reveal. I still doubt that would give him a kid with someone we have never heard of though 

Don't forget he  followed Kayla back to Salem and he already had an unhealthy fascination with her.  It was like Stefano's with Marlena and Victor's with Kim.  His fascination became an obsession over time. He did not find out about his real identity until after he had already become a straight up villain hellbent on destroying Steve and Kayla. Not to mention he had Duke's genes and was raised by Harper Devereaux, it was a recipe for disaster.  It is why his redemption was such a great story. I don't think that I will ever see that type of  in-depth character analysis and development in any genre.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

Not to mention Isn’t/wasn’t Jack an investigative reporter?

Yep. 

It’s yet more evidence of how there’s no limit to the twisting into unrecognizable knots of characters and history this show is willing to go to somehow make this all make sense.  One of Jack’s consistent character traits for most of his 30 year history is that he is a writer committed to the facts.   That was a big part of his and Jennifer’s initial bonding.  

Hopefully, that will kick in and they won’t just sit around and twiddle their thumbs as Gwen spews more melodramatic cliches about how she didn’t have a daddy.  I swear, she checked off every box on the “my daddy didn’t love me and I had such a hard life” trope in one setting.

I don’t think any of this will have anything to do with Harper or eventually Jack. The writers seem to be simply too lazy to figure out what the actual history is in order to actually use it.   It’s so telling that Gwen’s once upon a time starts before Jack was in Salem so they can just ignore all those facts of his time in Salem.

I still say at the end of the day, Gwen will have put together this entire story based off her precious clippings. She doesn’t know anything but what’s she’s read and she’s created this fiction from it. 

Personally, I miss Missy Reeves. If you’re going to try to go back and reference the history of these characters, I’d prefer to have the actress who was there for most of it. CM is fine, but I feel like there would be more natural and unspoken interactions between Jack and Jennifer due to the level of comfort and greater chem between MA & MR. 

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 6

This reveal doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would except that its meh probably because this isn't MR's Jennifer and JJ has nothing to do with this storyline. 

Those are my favorite parts of this storyline.

I mean if they wanted to make Gwen a retcon kid why not make her Peter Blake's daughter(he's not a blood Dimera) that would make a lot more sense and beef up the Dimeras a bit. It would be a lot more soapier her being involved with Chad and Jake if she were Peter's daughter.

That being said I strangely don't think Gwen is Jack's kid... I think she believes she is.

• Love 3

It is kind of funny that both Charlie and Gwen were, basically, introduced through Claire and they're both crazy idiots who decided to take out their childhood frustrations on siblings who had nothing to do with their misfortune or even knew they existed. I don't think it was the design of the writers but Claire is the one character who would sort of know where they're coming from. Though, I loved that Charlie tried to appeal to Claire by bringing up her jealousy of Ciara and she turned that back around on him and realized maybe he really is crazy.

I'm trying to decide who is worse between Gwen and Charlie. Even though Charlie is a rapist, I think I'd give the edge to Gwen. Until we see the flashback to the rape, we won't know for sure, but I don't think Charlie intentionally set out to set-up Tripp and ruin his life. He didn't care about Tripp's life being ruined, but he didn't do anything to help it along. Also, there's not another Ava spawn (as far as we know) out there and Charlie just decided to ignore that sibling and focus all their ire on Tripp as with Gwen who literally ignored JJ when he was in town a few months ago. And it does seem like there are moments that Charlie feels guilty.

There is none of that with Gwen. Her self-righteousness today was as insane as she is. She feels no guilt. She's standing there railing and weeping about her poor, sad life and what a horrible man Jack is, like he's not good enough to be her dad. In all of her research, did she not realize that Abigail and JJ were barely raised by Jack with all of his time being presumed dead? She gave Abigail, someone she knew suffered from mental illness, a drug to permanently scramble her brain. Why? Because daddy loved her more. How pathetic and cruel and horrible. I actually think what she did is worse than just straight up murdering someone. Were we actually supposed to care about her tears at the end? Fuck that!

And she's an idiot, too! Her insistence that she had to be right about Jack simply because her mother said so was maddening! I thought when she said she was there when her mother confronted Jack meant she was actually there. Instead, she admits she never even met Jack and was just going on what her mother said. It's bad enough that she's taking her revenge out on someone who had nothing to do with her grievance, but her grievance is basically all based on hearsay.

Maybe they should pair up Gwen and Charlie since they have similar stories and are both self-entitled psychos who somehow believe the world owes them something just because they had crappy childhoods.

I wanted to slap the taste out of Charlie's mouth when he tried to act all boo-hoo because his own brother was against him. Hey, rapist, your brother tried to throw you an olive branch and you slapped him in the face with it, this despite the fact you're trying to blame him for a crime you committed. And, fuck him, for actually making me glad to see Ben in a scene.

Ugh, I so did not miss Gabi. Her overinflated ego and delusions of being the most desirable thing on the planet were not missed by me. I wish she'd take herself and the remnants of that poor, dead muppet she was wearing as a jacket and get the hell out of town. Kate had her dead to rights when she called her out on thinking she could just flounce back into town and get whatever she wanted, whoever she wanted, when she wanted it. And she can shove it with her annoyance at being accused of drugging Abigail again. When you drug someone repeatedly so they can end up in a mental institution and that person ends up drugged again, don't act so surprised and offended that you're first on the suspect list.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Rafael said:

Ben Westen is totally pointless now. Now they got him comforting rape victims. 

Imagine ,a serial killer comforting a female rape victim. 

Well Ben/Ciara are married so...

1 hour ago, brisbydog said:

This would also be something Anjelica would do and she was protective of Jack.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Her self-righteousness today was as insane as she is. She feels no guilt. She's standing there railing and weeping about her poor, sad life and what a horrible man Jack is, like he's not good enough to be her dad. In all of her research, did she not realize that Abigail and JJ were barely raised by Jack with all of his time being presumed dead? She gave Abigail, someone she knew suffered from mental illness, a drug to permanently scramble her brain. Why? Because daddy loved her more. How pathetic and cruel and horrible. I actually think what she did is worse than just straight up murdering someone. Were we actually supposed to care about her tears at the end? Fuck that!

If I’m remembering correctly, she left out her drugging of Abigail when she was listing all of Jack’s past transgressions.  She needs to be hauled off to jail for that alone if she isn’t shipped off to the mental institution first.  It’ll be interesting to see what Jack’s reaction will be when he finds out about that. If, and it’s a BIG if, he’s allowed to act in character, he shouldn’t give a fuck about Gwen based just on that act by itself. 

She’s completely delusional. What does she think is going to happen now?! Jack isn’t going to sit back and let her continue to come after Abby and Jen(through him) just because she claims to be his daughter.  And the ignoring of JJ is weird. She arranged for his return for the party, but since then nothing. I don’t get the endgame here. I don’t think she’s his daughter, but even if she was, I don’t see the Deveraux family taking her in like the Johnsons and Tripp. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, KBrownie said:

L. O. L.

There is like, no way that Jack is actually crazy Gwen's father.  

This all would have had to take place and she made it seem like it all happened before Jack even knew Jennifer and had a relationship/family with her.  This would have been BEFORE all the more recent times that he was MIA because he was dead, kidnapped, had amnesia, etc.  I could maybe buy he doesn't remember every person he ever slept with, but the part about sending money for years?  Jack flat out denied that and it seems he would have come clean if it were true.

I don't feel sorry for her in the least.  Why should I?  She's a nobody who has to be pushing 40 who's done nothing but purposefully hurt others.  And she's waited all this time for her big revenge?  Grow up.  Get a hobby and move on.  Her tears are the Friday cliffhanger?  Please.

Yea, I dont buy Gwen's story either....it sounded all made up, to me.  Jack really needs to insist on a DNA test even if Gwen doesnt trust Salem DNA tests(who does, lol).  I think Gwen is running a big Con or is gaslighting Jack.  

• Love 3

So they made a reveal today for Gwen but yeah, something's up here.  I am pleasantly surprised they made it be a pre-Salem story.  Heck, even Melissa would have worked for me.  But having it be someone he dated between being with Jennifer, like Laura or some other unknown (which would go against characterization, IMO), would be excruciating. 

But if it really is pre-Salem, I actually wouldn't mind if Gwen is Jack's kid.  I like Gwen and Jack in scenes together and in many ways, Jack having a kid like Jennifer makes sense in a full-circle kind of way.  He would do anything to protect Abigail but I also think he would know how to empathize with Gwen given his sordid past. 

I am loving Abigail in this story too.  She really feels like Jack and Jennifer's daughter.  I am just going to view Kate Mansi's version as someone else.  Believe it or not, since they're the same age, I do think it makes sense that Gwen is focusing more on Abigail than JJ.  When JJ was born, both Gwen and Abgail were older. 

I love Gabi but this is what she came back for?  They don't have anything better for her to do? 

• Love 6

I was dubious while listening to Gwen tell her tale of woe.

Was the name Tiffany popular 50 years ago when her alleged mother was born? Was she a fan of Breakfast at Tiffany's? It seems to be a more modern name. I have only known a couple of women named Tiffany who are over the age of 40. The roach motel, the sob story of the can of beans got to me, the cheques from 'Jack' paying off this waitress, how she could afford two tickets to the UK, why Gwen still has an accent. I can see her losing some of it now that she is back in the US. Why didn't Jack come to find a daughter in the UK when he lived there. A lot makes no sense.

If this is the story, she should have photos of her mother so that Jack might remember her from 30 years ago. I can't remember people I've met 10 minutes ago. She should have a birth certificate with a listing of the father (unless Tiffany did not put a father down). Like actual proof/evidence. Not just a bunch of clippings. She should have been able to dig up who Jack's secretary was 30 years ago when maybe he was 25. Her mother did not save any sort of receipts for the cheques or anything?

So many holes, but the bean can story was good!

I felt sorry for Jack. He looked positively bewildered at the news that he may have another child. Yeah, this version of Jack would not abandon the kid and not just send cheques. Jennifer also looked bewildered. More than angry at him. Why would she? This was before her time.

The whole story is a bit ridiculous right now.

I did like Chad telling Abs that Gabi did not drug her and that it was Gwen. That Gwen had been in town a lot longer than previously known. I also liked him apologizing to Gabi at the end. Especially when she asked who did it. It was a nice courtesy.

Abs and Chad, both of you have a lot of work to do before you can consider being together. What both of you want out of a relationship.

Jake's champagne didn't go all that well with Kate. She wasn't too interested. Gabi is back and will he continue to be with Kate or be distracted by Gabi.

Charlie, stop lying and digging your hole. Claire was lucky that Ben walked her home.

Allie, you don't have to get hypnotized to remember your assault. It would be great to get the right person and not just hop from suspect to suspect.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Harper being a serial killer was such a wonderful story and it made sense because he hated all women.. Harper was a great villain played by a fantastic actor and it was the era when the show was not obsessed with Stefano and his family.  We were able to have other villains with their own axe to grind..

I'm couldn't agree more! JC did a fabulous job with the role, taking Harper from what appeared to be the innocent victim in an assassination attempt, to a creepy father-in-law, to a misogynist politician serial killer.  His reveal as such was a great twist, and his deranged monologue on the rooftop at the climax of the story was top notch acting. 

3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I mean if they wanted to make Gwen a retcon kid why not make her Peter Blake's daughter(he's not a blood Dimera) that would make a lot more sense and beef up the Dimeras a bit. It would be a lot more soapier her being involved with Chad and Jake if she were Peter's daughter.

Peter Blake is like the name never allowed to be mentioned. LOL Then again, Missy Reeves isn't around soooo...

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Was the name Tiffany popular 50 years ago when her alleged mother was born? Was she a fan of Breakfast at Tiffany's? It seems to be a more modern name. I have only known a couple of women named Tiffany who are over the age of 40. The roach motel, the sob story of the can of beans got to me, the cheques from 'Jack' paying off this waitress, how she could afford two tickets to the UK, why Gwen still has an accent. I can see her losing some of it now that she is back in the US. Why didn't Jack come to find a daughter in the UK when he lived there. A lot makes no sense.

The character of Tiffany Hill was on GH in the early 80s.

According to nametrends.net, the name Tiffany was most popular around 1980.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

There's no way Kate Mansi could have conveyed being angry with Chad for cheating with Gwen but still love him and be pained by their separation.  Marci Miller makes me want to watch everything she does.  

I like Missy Reeves but Cady McClain is involved in her scenes when she has no dialogue in a different way than Missy was.    

Gwen's story made me think of the movie Joker, where Arthur believes everything his mother has told him is truth only to find out she was a liar.  I liked that Gwen's story made little sense to Jack.  It was more interesting to me that her "reality" was likely formed by lies and exaggerations than what I was expecting from her BIG MONOLOGUE.  

I was disappointed that Ben showed up to basically rescue Claire from facing Charlie, and having to decide whether she could accept malevolent actions in another that were similar to those she had exhibited herself in the not-so-distant past.  

Oh, Gabi.  The entitlement was just oozing from her pores.  Thank god DiMera Enterprises has a cleaning crew to come in and clean up the mess.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Jake's champagne didn't go all that well with Kate. She wasn't too interested. Gabi is back and will he continue to be with Kate or be distracted by Gabi.

So do a lot of executive offices just have champagne glasses sitting out on the credenza?  Kate didn't have glasses when she walked in, yet there they were.  I also like how Jake literally left the house and went to his new office and already had a name plate (even if it was a REALLY cheap one)  to swap out.  It even had a name on it that I don't think we've ever heard him use.  Apparently, they're prepared for everything at Dimeara.

• LOL 2

Questions normal people would ask when confronted by Gwen and her claims:

1. How old are you?

2. Do you have a picture of your mother?

3.DNA test non negotiable. Will you do one with me somewhere not Salem?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I was disappointed that Ben showed up to basically rescue Claire from facing Charlie, and having to decide whether she could accept malevolent actions in another that were similar to those she had exhibited herself in the not-so-distant past.  

I'm always disappointed when Ben shows up lol. He's even more unwatchable to me now since RSW is paying him so completely annoyingly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I'm couldn't agree more! JC did a fabulous job with the role, taking Harper from what appeared to be the innocent victim in an assassination attempt, to a creepy father-in-law, to a misogynist politician serial killer.  His reveal as such was a great twist, and his deranged monologue on the rooftop at the climax of the story was top notch acting. 

Peter Blake is like the name never allowed to be mentioned. LOL Then again, Missy Reeves isn't around soooo...

I loved JC/Harper but I didn't like him being the Riverfront Killer I felt there was a lot more story to tell with him and Jack. I would've liked to have seen Jack/Jennifer deal with Harper's interference in their lives especially when the children came along, Jack trying to bond with Steve/Adrienne etc. I think there could've been years of story with that(with good writers at least).

I know people want to blame MR for Peter not being referenced etc but I was never under the impression the show cared about Peter regardless. Maybe Ron might at this point but that's about it.  I mean there were years when MR wasn't on the show and Peter wasn't referenced or mentioned. They could've brought him back for entirely different reasons that have nothing to do with Jennifer if they were really interested.  They cared more about Kristen and that was because she was a Jarlena foil. J&J's interlopers tend to be quickly forgotten by this show in comparison.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I loved JC/Harper but I didn't like him being the Riverfront Killer I felt there was a lot more story to tell with him and Jack. I would've liked to have seen Jack/Jennifer deal with Harper's interference in their lives especially when the children came along, Jack trying to bond with Steve/Adrienne etc. I think there could've been years of story with that(with good writers at least).

I know people want to blame MR for Peter not being referenced etc but I was never under the impression the show cared about Peter regardless. Maybe Ron might at this point but that's about it.  I mean there were years when MR wasn't on the show and Peter wasn't referenced or mentioned. They could've brought him back for entirely different reasons that have nothing to do with Jennifer if they were really interested.  They cared more about Kristen and that was because she was a Jarlena foil. J&J's interlopers tend to be quickly forgotten by this show in comparison.

I know a lot of Days fans who said that it was shortsighted to make Harper a serial killer and that Harper had more stories to tell with Jack; reading your post reminded me of that other point of view regarding Harper.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I skipped the Horton Xmas this year....but I'm guessing Ben got less shit for showing up there than Bonnie did at the K mansion this week....

....I'm right aren't I?

Totally right.  In fact, I'd say you could reword it that the Hortons put up with Ben's shit (his gloomy mood).  Bonnie was only tolerated at the K's because they decided not to be Scrooges...after some debate about it. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I know a lot of Days fans who said that it was shortsighted to make Harper a serial killer and that Harper had more stories to tell with Jack; reading your post reminded me of that other point of view regarding Harper.

While I should probably move this question to past plot discussion, but just quickly...I wonder if it was the Days writers (who back then didn't usually make villains overstay their welcome in town) or JC himself who was ready to move on? He was a well known actor so I just always assumed he never intended Days to be a long term gig.  Especially since they killed him off a year or so later rather than just keeping him off screen in jail. 

1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

While I should probably move this question to past plot discussion, but just quickly...I wonder if it was the Days writers (who back then didn't usually make villains overstay their welcome in town) or JC himself who was ready to move on? He was a well known actor so I just always assumed he never intended Days to be a long term gig.  Especially since they killed him off a year or so later rather than just keeping him off screen in jail. 

Villains should have a short life on the show.  They should never drive stories.  They create problems for the heroes and heroines leaving them to deal with the fallout..  Harper being a serial killer impacted Jack and the fallout was about Jack dealing with the fact that the man he loved and adored was a monster, what did that say about Jack who did monstrous things as well.  Not to mention, Jack finding out that his biological father was another monster..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Totally right.  In fact, I'd say you could reword it that the Hortons put up with Ben's shit (his gloomy mood).  Bonnie was only tolerated at the K's because they decided not to be Scrooges...after some debate about it. 

*seethes*

I just can't with Ben being in the Horton House. He murdered Will, tried to murder both Abby and Chad and steal their baby and then broke out and showed up at the DiMansion to give it a second go!

What exactly does it take to end up on their Shit List??! What was Julie's reaction to him being there?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

*seethes*

I just can't with Ben being in the Horton House. He murdered Will, tried to murder both Abby and Chad and steal their baby and then broke out and showed up at the DiMansion to give it a second go!

What exactly does it take to end up on their Shit List??! What was Julie's reaction to him being there?

This is why I was glad MR's Jennifer wasn't involved or JJ because no way would anyone accept that happening with either of them around.

4 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I know JC had steady work throughout his career he was on B&B for a while as well so I don't think he wanted to leave. However I think the show realized they wrote him into a corner after that. The irony is if he came around this time now he'd be considered "redeemed" I think Harper would've kept Jack from being completely cartoonish later on.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 4

Harper got lots to do after he died doing the frequent and highly entertaining "my two dads" Jack nightmares. I used to love hearing their incoming laughter. Such awesome stuff for the two actors and a fabulous peek into Jack's inner psyche

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

*seethes*

I can't recall Julie specifically other than she kept butting her nose into Eli and Launi and creepily watching them kiss outside. Doug kept encouraging Ben to do the tree ornaments. 

1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

This is why I was glad MR's Jennifer wasn't involved or JJ because no way would anyone accept that happening with either of them around.

I know JC had steady work throughout his career he was on B&B for a while as well so I don't think he wanted to leave. However I think the show realized they wrote him into a corner after that. The irony is if he came around this time now he'd be considered "redeemed" I think Harper would've kept Jack from being completely cartoonish later on.

I suppose there is a good chance that Harper would be hanging ornaments on the Horton tree. Ben would have a new buddy.  Though personally if JC was still alive I think his talents would be better used at Statesville with Rolf and Orpheus.  Now there could be some golden scenes and hilarious dialogue. 

• Love 4
On 1/23/2021 at 2:27 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

This reveal doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would except that its meh probably because this isn't MR's Jennifer and JJ has nothing to do with this storyline. 

Those are my favorite parts of this storyline.

That being said I strangely don't think Gwen is Jack's kid... I think she believes she is.

I was actually thinking she could be  Drew Donovan's daughter given that Drew and his twin shane were british.

As for her being Peter's daughter ,it might make sense and her plot against Jack and Abby might make sense as well. Its the only plausible explanation for her recent actions towards Abby and Jack .

Edited by Rafael
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Harper got lots to do after he died doing the frequent and highly entertaining "my two dads" Jack nightmares. I used to love hearing their incoming laughter. Such awesome stuff for the two actors and a fabulous peek into Jack's inner psyche

Oh yes I remember those. However that was back when we had character driven writing as opposed to now where everything is plot driven.

I guess they could've kept Harper in that capacity. However its not just Jack he could've given Justin, Adrienne etc other storyline possibilities if he was still around.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

*seethes*

I think you have to be Gabi to end up on their shit list - or Sami.  All other names on that list are written in pencil.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

It’s funny reading all about Harper Deveraux because I’ve been watching him (Joe Campanella) on reruns of One Day at a Time. This was way before his Days run.He did every show in the 70’s & 80’s. I think I’m showing my age. LOL!!! Anyhoo, the Gwen reveal was nicely done but you’d think she’d have some proof. Like a frickin picture of said Mum! Gwen said Mummy took her to Salem & Gwen makes it like she saw Jack then when she was supposedly in some roach infested motel. Does Salem have one? She seems to be going on what Mum said which isn’t much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

It’s funny reading all about Harper Deveraux because I’ve been watching him (Joe Campanella) on reruns of One Day at a Time. This was way before his Days run.He did every show in the 70’s & 80’s. I think I’m showing my age. LOL!!! Anyhoo, the Gwen reveal was nicely done but you’d think she’d have some proof. Like a frickin picture of said Mum! Gwen said Mummy took her to Salem & Gwen makes it like she saw Jack then when she was supposedly in some roach infested motel. Does Salem have one? She seems to be going on what Mum said which isn’t much.

I liked that show. I discovered this on syndication on E! years ago (back when that network was watchable) I liked to see a show based in Indiana(Indianapolis to be exact) so rare too. Who did he play?

• Love 1