Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, tribeca said:

Jennifer, Zander and I think Marlena (my John 😂) all seemed to notice Hope was acting strange.

What's really funny is that earlier in the week, John nonchalantly mentioned to Marlena that Hope was hearing voices.  And by nonchalantly, I mean offhand, casual, I don't really give a shit about Hope so let's order coffee and look at the menu now.  If Hope ever returns to normal, she should really question how well her friends know her and how much they care about her well being!

I missed Friday but may try to catch it on NBC's site tomorrow evening.  I kept thinking Marilyn McCoo was on Love Boat (just looked, she was!) but it was probably Solid Gold that I'm remembering her from.

• Love 3
On 11/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, Pearson80 said:

Not to mention, the horrible acting, Kristian is just awful.. She was never a great actress but she had charisma, presence, beauty and chemistry with Peter as Bo..

She's horrible. Was ok way back in the day.  But after she became practically anorexic, she was a different persona. Not believable as a cop.  Terrible actress. I miss the OOOLD Days. I'm just watching out of habit and obsession now. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

She's horrible. Was ok way back in the day.  But after she became practically anorexic, she was a different persona. Not believable as a cop.  Terrible actress. I miss the OOOLD Days. I'm just watching out of habit and obsession now. 

She doesn’t seem as anorexic as she used to be. Her face is much fuller. She really is lost with Peter Reckell. She’s been through a lot of pairings since then and none have taken off. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ByaNose said:

She doesn’t seem as anorexic as she used to be. Her face is much fuller. She really is lost with Peter Reckell. She’s been through a lot of pairings since then and none have taken off. 

Aiden worked.

• Love 10
On 11/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, Silver Raven said:

I've never heard Ave Maria sung in English.

So that was NOT one of the FIVE possible sets of lyrics for Ave Maria that have been previously used.  Seems like it was a riff on the 1st set but kinda weird.  

long-winded explanation.....

1st set:
In 1810, Sir Walter Scott wrote a Scottish poem called ‘The Lady of the Lake’ and in this poem a maiden (Ellen) sings a song called ‘Ave Maria’ which is a prayer to the Virgin Mary to protect her and her family during the upcoming war of rebellion.  Ellen puts her faith in Mary to keep her safe.

2nd set:
In 1825, Franz Schubert wrote music for the Lady of the Lake poem and it was loosely translated into German. Same gist, Virgin Mary keep us safe.  

3rd set: (i.e the famous one)
The term ‘Ave Maria’ means ‘Hail Mary’.  It’s the first two words in a traditional Catholic prayer to Mary.  The Latin Version that you hear on most recording is the Hail Mary prayer in Latin.  It is sung at Christmas to celebrate Mary giving birth to Jesus.   It is traditionally sung at Catholic weddings as the Bride Goes over to a statute of the Virgin Mary and prays for her guidance and strength in her upcoming marriage.  It is not a required part of the Catholic service and this tradition is not always used.  Some Non-Catholic Christians have used it at Wedding services as it’s a beautiful song and invokes the idea of the Virgin Mary and her commitment to being a good wife and mother.  

The 4th set:
Part of Disney’s Fantasia.  Sung as a request for the Virgin Mary to help them defeat evil at Dawn.  

The 5th set:

Beyoncé.  Sung as a counter melody, lyrics are more about love though it references the Virgin Mary. 

..... end long-assed explanation......

WHAT WE HEARD TODAY:  the first two lines are straight out of Walter Scott’s poem.  The next line in the direction of ‘protection from storms’ (ala Scott) and then the next lines ask asking Mary to come today.  Which... okay?

Opinion:
- Beyoncé is one thing.  Random songwriters from NBC Days of our lives, knock it off.   With Marlena performing the service, it’s not a Catholic service.  Not that you have to be Catholic to praise the Virgin Mary (she is, in fact, highly revered in Islam) or sign that prayer.  But the words were just sort of random bits. 

Other thoughts:

- Best part was when Lani dream-tackles Gabi
-Marlena, you have every right to be torpedoing Xander but I don’t want my evil twit’s ship sunk   Kthxbye   

Edited by SueB
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Why didn't mayor Abe perform the wedding service?

Adrienne's dress was fugly.

Jebus, they drew out this wedding thing,

Did Justin and Adrienne have sex with their clothes on?

And don't worry, Adrienne, there have been a lot of couples having sexy times on Maggie's couch.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Have there? I only remember Brady and Theresa.

I missed the beginning and end of today's show but Lani has no one to blame but herself for her stupidity. If she's such a bad cop she can't tackle Gabi or arrest her or even inform the commissioner - her supposed husband - of what's going on, she deserves to be crying and feeling miserable. She's a bloody moron.

It's starting to bother me seeing Gabi being so outright evil. I also didn't like seeing Will looking at her as if she's up to no good. Please don't lose the respect of Will and Sonny, Gabi. They're kind of the only people on your side.

I was rather prematurely hoping to ship Abe and Tamara but their dialogue isn't so good and she's kind of rusty.,

Eli, you deserve better plots.

Adrienne and Justin haven't been seen since January, and this is the first thing Ron has them do? Fuck on the couch? Really?

They have they have no chemistry.

And her dress was better suited to spring.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Adrienne's dress was fugly.

25 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

And her dress was better suited to spring.

That really was an unflattering dress on Adrienne and I feel the same way about Jen's.  But Adrienne's is so fugly that it wasn't even posted on Worn on Tv.

Jennifer's pink dress

• Love 3

I think I might alone in this, but I loved the Halloween episode, it was the best of the four soaps.  So many great lines, and great acting.  This is the only time I have liked Jordan.

OTOH, this Lani BS is beyond stupid.  And why would Gabi be so comfy with toying with Julie's heart, after she agonized over letting her have it in the first place?

• Love 7

I don't care about the characters involved but really this could've been a lot better if there was more effort put into Eli and Lani in the first place. Also this revenge plot is flimsy especially when Stefan jumped in front of that bullet if Lani really was responsible etc it would be one thing but its not here. She's pretty much absolved.. I mean I guess having Gabi in the backburner for a while until they figured out what to do with the character post Stefan is too much to ask. 

• Love 2

I know - she could be spending time with that daughter of hers, you know the one she couldn't see because she was in prison for half a year? No? Parents actually having relationships with their young children is boring? Sorry. My bad.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I know - she could be spending time with that daughter of hers, you know the one she couldn't see because she was in prison for half a year? No? Parents actually having relationships with their young children is boring? Sorry. My bad.

Ari could act out she could cause trouble etc. I mean Ari being anything less than a nightmare is going to be a huge disappointment considering who her grandmothers and mother are.

It also would humanize Gabi in the process god forbid.

• Love 2

The last thing I want to see is a kid acting out.  Or a teenager acting out.  With the exception of a few (and I didn't even really like those that much) it's the worst story in soaps.

This whole Lani stuff is so dumb.  She's a cop, she couldn't record Gabi's threats?  Couldn't tell Eli, her father, Rafe, Will or Sonny about this so they could steal the phone from her?  Nope, instead she goes through with it.

I now realize why the cliffhanger wasn't "Will you, Lani, take Eli to be your lawfully wedded husband...."  They needed to some other random crap before even getting to that money point.

All that said, Eli and Gabi look so good together. I ain't going to hate when they inevitably get naked together again.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

The last thing I want to see is a kid acting out.  Or a teenager acting out.  With the exception of a few (and I didn't even really like those that much) it's the worst story in soaps.

This whole Lani stuff is so dumb.  She's a cop, she couldn't record Gabi's threats?  Couldn't tell Eli, her father, Rafe, Will or Sonny about this so they could steal the phone from her?  Nope, instead she goes through with it.

I now realize why the cliffhanger wasn't "Will you, Lani, take Eli to be your lawfully wedded husband...."  They needed to some other random crap before even getting to that money point.

All that said, Eli and Gabi look so good together. I ain't going to hate when they inevitably get naked together again.

I don't know about the worst story in soaps I think it could be done right although in Ari's case she's such a blank slate at the moment and well Ron it wouldn't be good but on paper Ari has so many issues between Will/Sonny/Gabi there should be tons of material to drive story for years and I rather see Gabi deal with a bratty Ari than a half baked revenge plot where her victims are too dumb to function.

They are making John and Austin in the 90s seems like geniuses in comparison.

I just rather see some real character driven family drama for a change instead of these lame attempts at high stakes drama that fall flat.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I don't know about the worst story in soaps I think it could be done right although in Ari's case she's such a blank slate at the moment and well Ron it wouldn't be good but on paper Ari has so many issues between Will/Sonny/Gabi there should be tons of material to drive story for years and I rather see Gabi deal with a bratty Ari than a half baked revenge plot where her victims are too dumb to function.

I hate bratty kids on pretty much everything.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Savored the outside scenes between Lani and Eli.  All dressed up, yet down on the ground.   Felt Lani's pain and Eli's when he broke down.  That sinking feeling he must have with the thought that the relationship is over.  Appreciated this part of the episode. 

• Love 4

I liked the Lani and Gabi catfight - even though it was a fantasy. Lani must either have a very well fitted gown or double-sided tape. I was waiting for the girls to fall out.

Lani, just be honest with Eli. You are a cop and can easily tell him about Gabi's plot and blackmail. Some of her rationale was right - were they really in love or just together because of their dead baby?

So Xander now has a grudge for Doc. She did come across as sanctimonious. So what if he was Sarah's 'date' for the wedding? There are folks in Salem who have committed worse crimes than him.

What was that monstrosity of a dress on Adrienne? Ill-fitting, poorly cut.... ugh.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bannana said:

I think I might alone in this, but I loved the Halloween episode, it was the best of the four soaps.  So many great lines, and great acting.  This is the only time I have liked Jordan.

OTOH, this Lani BS is beyond stupid.  And why would Gabi be so comfy with toying with Julie's heart, after she agonized over letting her have it in the first place?

You’re not alone @bannana. I loved it too and LOLed throughout. Marlena’s “you killed my grandson AGAIN” and Maggie’s dialogue about her lemon bars were highlights for me. I enjoyed the ensemble feel and campiness of it. 

I’m also with you on the Lani/Gabi storyline. As much as I love me some Gabi, it’s just so full of holes. But CB continues to entertain, and look incredibly fabulous while doing so, thankfully. As @Irlandesa says - her and Eli are so damn pretty, I’m looking forward to it, messy and all

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, SnK said:

If only Eli and Lani had some life in them.  Eli isn't bad but Lani is a cardboard cut out 

I think Eli would fare better as an individual character if he was paired with someone other than Lani. Or if Lani was recast with a better actress. That being said its not as if the show bothers to write for them this whole wedding drove home what blank slates they are after all these years.

1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

So Xander now has a grudge for Doc. She did come across as sanctimonious. So what if he was Sarah's 'date' for the wedding? There are folks in Salem who have committed worse crimes than him.

Yes and she's chummy with one of them in Ben you know the dude that strangled her grandson to death and is only alive due to a technicality.

Regardless I find Xander a lot easier to take than Ben probably because many people still hate him and what he has done isn't treated as an afterthought...

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Somebody commented that Lani should call her hacker brother Theo to break into Gabi's phone.

That would require someone using their brain in this storyline vs Gabi and that's not going to happen...

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This episode was boring honestly. I mean we all knew this was going to happen. 

Justin and Adrienne got lucky to find the sole few minutes a day Victor isn’t glued to the living room arm chair to have sex on the sofa. 

I don’t feel like Sal/Lani was very strong or compelling. Eli’s line “For the record I dumped you.” Was meant for comfort but also is unintentionally funny. 

I’m starting to think Gabi’s app isn’t actually real and she’s fucking with Lani and all of Julie’s episodes are just getting used to the new pacemaker and stress.

Rafe was discharged from the hospital yesterday. He wasn’t there for his friends? 

Its been like 33 degrees here in Chicago (Salem is in Illinois and been said ON show it’s quick driving distance to Chicago) yet a Lani is wearing a skimpy slip dress. Miss me with it’s taped far in advance. Farmers Almanac exists and any dummy could tell you autumn in Chicago isn’t spaghetti strap slip and coat or sweater free weather. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Its been like 33 degrees here in Chicago (Salem is in Illinois and been said ON show it’s quick driving distance to Chicago) yet a Lani is wearing a skimpy slip dress. Miss me with it’s taped far in advance. Farmers Almanac exists and any dummy could tell you autumn in Chicago isn’t spaghetti strap slip and coat or sweater free weather. 

The wedding like most everything that takes on Days was at the Horton Town Square which is an indoor mall, so she could get away with the dress if the shopping center was heated.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, nilyank said:

The wedding like most everything that takes on Days was at the Horton Town Square which is an indoor mall, so she could get away with the dress if the shopping center was heated.

It’s not which is why it has trees and pavement and Ciara was always run over in Brady Pub which is on the square. 

• Love 2

When Gabi asked Lani if she should "press the button" (or something like that), why didn't Lani say, "Go and ahead.  And you will be charged with murder" and then expose the blackmail to everyone there?  Gabi had the evidence right in her hand.

• Love 10

Ugh, what a frustrating episode. Strung out waaaaay too long. I have no investment in Eli and Lani, so it was just an overly long drawn out mess for me. I did feel Eli's anguish when he held his head in his hands alone in the park, but that was the only time I was moved in the slightest.  I also noticed Marlena with her 'stole' or wrap or whatever draped over her arm during the ceremony -- does the actress have a note in her contract that says her midsection must be shielded from view at all times? She either wears her purse or a jacket to cover herself, or now in formal wear she has a completely unnecessary wrap, lol. 

Man, I must be in a pissy mood, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

+1

11 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I mean, Xander shot Marlena so I'm OK with her hating him. It loses some oomph though since she loves the man that murdered her grandson but still lol.

3 hours ago, nilyank said:

As @Petunia13 said, it definitely isn't an indoor mall anymore what with them having fireworks there and whatnot.

• Love 7

Gina ate and threw Jennifer off a balcony.

I like her better than Hope already.

I thought you guys said the Horton Town Square was an indoor mall with a glass ceiling and that someone had fallen through it at one point. I'm just going to go with that. That way they can see fireworks and see whether without being affected by it.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

This is daytime’s equivalent of the “blue and black” or “white and gold” dress debate. giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29631098aaf89ea5189a

I definitely recall in Sami and Theresa era they showed snow on the plants and benches in Horton Square.  I prefer to believe it’s outside. When Ciara was outside Brady Pub which is entered on the Square she was almost hit by a car. Also it seems like the park is somehow attached or adjacent and people always walk feet too and from one and another. Also would they have plaque tributes to Hortons inside a private mall? Vs a public square? 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Petunia13 said:

I prefer to believe it’s outside.

It's also confusing because sometimes people sitting at the café are wearing coats, while others aren't.  And haven't we seen the leaves change colour--I might be imagining that.

confused suzanne somers GIF

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

How is it sanctimonious? He freakin' shot her and she almost died (for the millionth time, but still...) And yet, Xander has the nerve to not only not show even the slightest bit of remorse but act like he has any right to have a grudge against Marlena because she trashed him in front of his obsession. Xander can fuck off with that noise.

Everyone has already stated the myriad ways this Gabi/Lani plot is so freakin' stupid. It's ridiculous that Lani the cop is not exposing Gabi and her attempted murder plot. Still, I will immensely enjoy it when Gabi's plot is exposed and that constant smug smirk is wiped off her face. 

Maybe they should pair Gabi and Xander together - two remorseless assholes. There are people who do enjoy those characters and they can continue to enjoy them together and those who hate them can kill two birds with one stone getting to fast forward them together.

• Love 5

The height difference just wouldn't work out. Otherwise I would be completely happy to have all my favourite characters in plotlines with each other and all my least favourite characters in totally separate plotlines. Occasionally I get my wish.

Did Jennifer really need information on the computer to tell her that Rolfe had transformed Hope into Gina when for no intelligent reason Hope is walking around in a ball gown and Opera gloves and with a thousand necklaces around her neck?

KA's accent as Gina is giving me Winona Ryder in Dracula flashbacks...

Kassie was amazing today, though, wasn't she? Damn that woman can act. Sadly, I feel she's either being set up as the person who pushed Jennifer out the window, or they're going to turn around tomorrow and reveal that she committed suicide in her hotel room. Eve's storylines are just so sad.

But did anybody notice just how much chemistry she and JJ still have? Those two look awesome together and the minute he tried to take her out of the wedding, I couldn't help but wonder if the scene was about to go in a completely different direction and they would end up back at her hotel room.

It was definitely kind of funny, though, watching Eve and Roman speak their southern drawls to each other back and forth when neither character previously was from the south LOL.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 8

As a longtime hopeless Jack and Jennifer fan, I really liked the Loretta rings and how Jack got choked up.  Its too bad the writing is so bad these days, because both Matt Ashford and Missy Reeves are wonderful actors (just re-watched the rape slap/follow up scenes from '91 and they were both incredible).  

Charlotte Ross will always be Eve to me, but this version of Eve was quite good today.  I did love when JJ said, "you're too old".  

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Kassie was amazing today, though, wasn't she? Damn that woman can act. Sadly, I feel she's either being set up as the person who pushed Jennifer out the window, or they're going to turn around tomorrow and reveal that she committed suicide in her hotel room. Eve's storylines are just so sad.

But did anybody notice just how much chemistry she and JJ still have? Those two look awesome together and the minute he tried to take her out of the wedding, I couldn't help but wonder if the scene was about to go in a completely different direction and they would end up back at her hotel room.

I totally agree. I love how no matter what they throw at her KdP completely commits to her material. She’s entertaining and interesting to watch. Her misery and humiliation made me uncomfortable, it’s hard seeing anyone hit rock bottom. 

Eve and JJ still have heat and sexual chemistry. They should have made them have another affair instead of the Haley propping festival which is his relationship. It would have made Jennifer’s head explode and been better revenge to not only marry Jack but also bang her son (again). 

UO but Marlena has had a bitchy tone or edge in her personality for a while now.  She doesn’t have the sympathy for the down trodden I’d expect for a while now. The way she described Lani leaving when gossiping to Roman was not very nice and how she talked about Eve, like if had been me I would have realized this was a very depressed and lonely person lashing out who is clearly on the edge. Her talking shit to Xander being justified I have use an Uno reverse card for since she’s bff and kissing the ass of the man who killed her grandson and murdered and tormented innocent women for a damn year I declare that out of pocket. 

I expected when Adrienne and Jen threw the bouquet the world’s most phenomenal nurse or Ciara would wander by and catch them. 

Shame Adrienne had to get married in such an unflattering dress. As Dwight from RHOA would say, “How dreadful.”

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Harmony233 said:

I would have liked to see eve and Gabi strike up a friendship.

Especially over their grief and rage over it and being known as town pariahs by the Hortons. KdP is really strong in female bantering and bonding scenes (that was her best on OLTL). Shame. Gabi needs a woman in her corner and Eve has motherly instincts based on her talk of Paige and bond with Claire. I feel like this show isn’t as character driven or emotionally profound with Ron writing it vs the 90’s early 2000s... which should be easy to do with the developed characters and rich history to mine, long dead Helen Keller could slam dunk that shit... but it’s still miles above Y&R.

• Love 8

I've experienced a burn out on reality tv shows; particularly the Real Housewives.  It would be great if Days could recapture what it once was, because I can't help but think that I'm not alone in wanting escape t.v. that is not reality television.  Downtown Abby was a soap opera at its core and it did wonderful.

There were some good moments today.  The Princess Gina stuff is ridiculously stupid.  JJ has potential but the Hailey character is just plain blah.   

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 8

The Jack&Jennifer scenes made me smile 🙂 Missy Reeves & Matt Ashford look like they are enjoying these scenes so much...Missy looks so pretty in that pink dress & sparkly clips in her hair.  Loved Jack telling JJ about the history of the rings & when he 1st said "I Love You" to Jennifer.  The rest of the show was too depressing.

• Love 7

I loved today's ep. I just enjoyed the hell outta all of it.

KDP really is fantastic. She was making me so uncomfortable because it was just so visceral. And yea her and JJ had mad chemistry there. Like a million times as much as him and Haley have lol. I need to try to find JJ/Eve scenes on youtube because I wasn't watching at the time.

Gina cracks me up. UO but I love KA right now.

• Love 8

Whether the Square is an indoor or an out door venue is clearly as plot-driven as the rest of the show.

Speaking of the Square, watching the Jennifer dummy drop into the Square was the funniest thing I've seen all week.  I had to watch it twice.  

It was nice of them to explain the Hope/Gina tomfoolery rather than drag it out for weeks.  There's potential here to explore the dynamics of identity, or even explore why the Princess Gina persona would be driven to survive but I'm sure it will be primarily used for connect-the-dots plotting.  And while the Princess Gina accent is mostly annoying, it does seem like Kristian Alfonso is having more fun than usual.  Plus, Dr Rolf.  

Tick, tock, tick, tock.  Oooops, wrong show.   

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

JJ needs to be with a chick that pisses him off and brings out this side of him where he's not so even keeled. I mean I don't get why they don't go there again and if its the age difference honestly would it matter at this point when you have Brady/Kristen? Plus it keeps her in Jack/Jennifer's orbit if they want to keep Eve around. He also would not tell her to not hate Ben either. I did lol at Adrienne trying to hold back laughter when JJ said Eve was too old to have a baby.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

I would have liked to see eve and Gabi strike up a friendship.

Or at least delve into Gabi possibly resenting Eve for having a kid with her dad when he left the family all those years ago. What was the point in having Paige be related to that family after she was killed off if nothing was going to come from it. One would think Rafe, Gabi etc would have more of an issue with Ben but nope.  Outside of hating the Hortons they also have JJ in common....

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved today's ep. I just enjoyed the hell outta all of it.

KDP really is fantastic. She was making me so uncomfortable because it was just so visceral. And yea her and JJ had mad chemistry there. Like a million times as much as him and Haley have lol. I need to try to find JJ/Eve scenes on youtube because I wasn't watching at the time.

Gina cracks me up. UO but I love KA right now.

There aren't many but this is the only video that really matters when it comes to JJ/Eve

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

UO but Marlena has had a bitchy tone or edge in her personality for a while now.

I'm going to second this. I think it became much more prominent once Ron took over because I remember thinking that Hattie had a lot of the same tics as Marlena and often seemed very insincere as Marlena, and then once the real Marlena came back that insincerity kind of seemed to hang around. She's okay in scenes where she gushes over John, but in so many other situations I just feel like Deidre's kind of phoning it in or she's fed up with the show and fed up with the cheapo budget and the constant threat of cancellation. I'm not saying she doesn't try, I fully believe she does, but that "smug bitch" thing that Kristen once taunted her about is very much in play.

Oddly, I've been getting it less from Jennifer lately, which makes my head explode! Abigail probably trumps everybody in this regard though.

• Love 4