Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Eh I don't care at least give a backstory like if it was about Eve or something and it wasn't. A bitch for the sake of being a bitch doesn't really work with me and that's all Theresa was.

...at first. She developed pretty well over time. And frankly, some young people just are bitchy for the sake of being bitchy. Let's also not forget, in hindsight, Theresa had been in a relationship with Mateo before she came to Salem. That probably messed her up a little bit. She was obviously looking to cause trouble and loving every second of it, so if it wasn't Jenny pissing her off it would have been someone else eventually. If I recall correctly, Theresa didn't even interact much with her family in town when she first debuted. I realize that was because the show was writing her in a specific plot separate from the others, but you can kind of rationalize it as Theresa avoiding any kind of intimacy or family connections so she could cause trouble.

I deeply miss Anne and Theresa.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I hate to admit it, but cheeky Xander amuses me.  He is being so charming to Sarah, she cant resist.  I look forward to their 'date" to the wedding.  

Me too. It should be fun to see them as a pseudo-couple.

1 hour ago, A.J. said:

I was horrified and so disappointed with DAYS after that Lani/Gabi scene.

I'm trying to understand this, and I fully accept that everyone has a valid interpretation of that scene because everyone's feelings are their own and that's totally cool...but is the argument here that a person of colour can't be blackmailed into getting on their hands and knees and begging because that's inherently racist? I don't get that. It takes me back to when Leo was on the show, and the actor who played him gave an interview about how nice he thinks it is that there's a gay villain. "Minority" characters on television are usually limited in how they are depicted out of a fear that what they do or say will be offensive. I think the fact that Lani was put in a position any of the other characters might have been put in was a sign that Ron and the producers were just treating her the way they would treat any other character. Granted, I can think of other actors who would have done a better job with that scene, and other characters I would have preferred to see beg at different points in time...but I don't see how it was racially insensitive for Lani to be begging. Her race had nothing to do with that scene.

I think the only subtext to that scene is that we are supposed to be impressed with the depth of her humanity, because firstly she's doing this to save the life of a woman who has been racially insensitive for years and secondly she's able to be demeaned by Gabi and still feel sorry for her afterwards, as evidenced by her line to Eli about how much pain Gabi was in.

So honestly seriously, spell this out for me so I can understand why this is racially insensitive because I feel like I'm missing it.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Is Kayla the worst doctor or what? I could hear the baby’s heartbeat loudly and she says “I can’t hear the heartbeat.  Whoops, now I found it.” 

And is Kayla now the heart doctor, brain doctor and gynecologist all wrapped up in one?

I was hoping the ultrasound would show us the baby.  After all, it IS a Dr. Rolf assisted pregnancy.

giphy.gif

"Oh, look, Kristen, he has your laugh!"  

13 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Not to mention the Chief of Staff.

And yet she still has NO idea of where to put the paddles when she's trying to restart a heart after a heart attack.  I'm expecting to see her putting them on people's knees, next.  

Hey, new set!  I like!

It would be nice, now that there's that vacant space on the wall at the DiMera mansion if they'd put that portrait of Kate and Sami back up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that Eve signed the divorce papers and we won't have to sit through that particular battle, but what on earth was even the point of Eve balking at it to begin with?  

I haven't enjoyed Hope so much in years as I am these days.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Except Jennifer wasn't a bitch to her from Day 1

I'll give you Day 1 but by Day 2 Jenn was in full Elvira Gulch mode.  If she'd been able to ride a bike through the halls of the hospital snatching away people's little dogs, she'd have done it.  And she was definitely wrinkling her nose and being condescending to Theresa from the get-go.   Unless you were Abigail or Dr. Dan, Jenn was pretty much a pain in the ass during that period.

I sorta enjoy how we can all watch the same show and see different things.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

...at first. She developed pretty well over time. And frankly, some young people just are bitchy for the sake of being bitchy. Let's also not forget, in hindsight, Theresa had been in a relationship with Mateo before she came to Salem. That probably messed her up a little bit. She was obviously looking to cause trouble and loving every second of it, so if it wasn't Jenny pissing her off it would have been someone else eventually. If I recall correctly, Theresa didn't even interact much with her family in town when she first debuted. I realize that was because the show was writing her in a specific plot separate from the others, but you can kind of rationalize it as Theresa avoiding any kind of intimacy or family connections so she could cause trouble.

Except back then she had none of that backstory it was something they tacked on for her lame redemption so she could be with Brady(even though Brady/Theresa worked best when she was a bitch and a druggie and he was a drunk being mutually toxic to one another). 

She interacted with Caroline who she wasn't nearly as much of a bitch to but beyond that yeah she barely interacted with the Brady's. For all the younger Hortons this show has featured through the years the only Brady this show ever cared writing for seemed to be Sami.

Edited by CanaryFan98

Maybe we'll find out that Jack had to make a deal with Eve to convince her to sign...? Whatever. That entire plot was a waste of time and I don't care if they try to make it worth our while now. Just put it out of its misery already.

I wonder if, without Eve as a villain in their lives, Jack and Jennifer will still be interesting in the months ahead. Ron doesn't really write for Will and Sonny as a couple and parents of a young daughter, so I wonder how Jack and Jennifer will be utilized and if their fans will be happy with the next storyline.

Canary, you are completely right about Theresa's motivations being retroactively established later on....but thankfully Jennifer Lily was so charismatic and appealing that it all worked out in the end. Something tells me she won't be coming back to Salem anytime soon now that she's doing Hallmark movies on the regular, but I really really hope we get another year or two with Theresa.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

Maybe we'll find out that Jack had to make a deal with Eve to convince her to sign...? Whatever. That entire plot was a waste of time and I don't care if they try to make it worth our while now. Just put it out of its misery already.

I wonder if, without Eve as a villain in their lives, Jack and Jennifer will still be interesting in the months ahead. Ron doesn't really write for Will and Sonny as a couple and parents of a young daughter, so I wonder how Jack and Jennifer will be utilized and if their fans will be happy with the next storyline.

Jack/Jennifer never needed an interloper to be interesting their biggest obstacle was themselves. However that was back when soaps had character driven writing.  I see them like Jarlena and Dulie where they have their past glory to fall back on even if their stories are trash for viewers to still care/be interested in. 

Besides if they wanted Eve to be a thorn on J&J's side they should've had her take up with JJ again I mean really if she wanted to make them suffer...  Jennifer would go postal and might actually smother her to death but Jack won't hold her back like JJ....

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Canary, you are completely right about Theresa's motivations being retroactively established later on....but thankfully Jennifer Lily was so charismatic and appealing that it all worked out in the end. Something tells me she won't be coming back to Salem anytime soon now that she's doing Hallmark movies on the regular, but I really really hope we get another year or two with Theresa.

To her fans? Sure. I still hated Theresa though I do prefer JL in her non Theresa roles though fortunately for me she's not returning however I'd take Brady/Theresa in a heartbeat if it meant that I'd be spared Brady/Kristen and the glossed over sexual assault that was the conception of their child... 

Kayla wears too many hats at the hospital. After the grueling heart transplant, she should be home sleeping for a few days. I thought she was going to find twins or triplets.

Hope has managed to find some dark and dingy apartment type room to start her collection of stuff? Only thing I liked about her was her red lipstick. Really good colour.

Dr. Rolf, are you planning to do something to Miss Horton soon since she has the encrypted USB stick?

Liked Xander and Sarah. She can't hide her baby for much longer. Nicole, be an adult, and give Eric the Dr. Rolf envelope.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Oh I never want Theresa with Brady again. Not after that custody battle. Not after he tried to marry her sister. No siree.

That custody battle only happened because Brady wouldn't take her back. He was willing to go with joint custody. Theresa didn't want that. Regardless my first choice for Brady(beyond a year of celibacy for him) is Chloe but the show doesn't seem to want that.

That being said that's a lot tamer than Brady being stuck with his rapist. I liked Bristen when ED was Kristen but there was a level of humanity there up until she raped Eric after that it should never have been revisited. I can only imagine the reaction if the roles were reversed with how this show is glossing over Kristen violating Brady .... John/Marlena aren't even a factor in this story so they already neutered the drama of Bristen right there.

Hopefully John and Marlena get more involved. Well ideally this story doesn't go much farther....I fear Ron will marry Bristen and drag this out forever...but whatever happens John and Doc should be freaking out over Brady falling into this viper's clutches...it would be bizarre for them to just ignore it.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Hopefully John and Marlena get more involved. Well ideally this story doesn't go much farther....I fear Ron will marry Bristen and drag this out forever...but whatever happens John and Doc should be freaking out over Brady falling into this viper's clutches...it would be bizarre for them to just ignore it.

Yet that's whats going to happen much like the non reaction of Ben being an SK walking around like its no big deal... 

• Love 2

Agreed. But at least we had that one day last week where Doc and John saw Brady running around for vitamins and side-eyed each other. So there's groundwork for more.

Or maybe they're just too old and too fed up to try and save Brady all over again.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Kayla: Ha so sorry... a baby’s heartbeat is so difficult to find.

Also Kayla: Kate is comotose so has no hope and her heart should be transplanted into Julie in 30 minutes. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292269c18cb49111233f

she has an issue with heartbeats and leaping to judgements. 

I wonder what the big deal about Stefano’s smug hand on chin portrait Hope stole and keeps staring at is. Maybe if she uses paint thinner on it it will reveal a hidden message underneath like “Fuck you Rafe” or a treasure map. I’m so stupid, bye! 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, A.J. said:

I was horrified and so disappointed with DAYS after that Lani/Gabi scene.  I had to stop and delete that episode right away.  I don't see Lani under any circumstances agreeing to that nonsense.  Shame on who ever green-lit that rubbish.   

You, too?  Right after that scene, I was like, "Well, that's enough of that" and deleted that episode.  It was just disgusting.  Yes, whoever green-lit that should be slapped.  Everyone who was involved in that should be slapped.

15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm trying to understand this, and I fully accept that everyone has a valid interpretation of that scene because everyone's feelings are their own and that's totally cool...but is the argument here that a person of colour can't be blackmailed into getting on their hands and knees and begging because that's inherently racist? I don't get that. It takes me back to when Leo was on the show, and the actor who played him gave an interview about how nice he thinks it is that there's a gay villain. "Minority" characters on television are usually limited in how they are depicted out of a fear that what they do or say will be offensive. I think the fact that Lani was put in a position any of the other characters might have been put in was a sign that Ron and the producers were just treating her the way they would treat any other character. Granted, I can think of other actors who would have done a better job with that scene, and other characters I would have preferred to see beg at different points in time...but I don't see how it was racially insensitive for Lani to be begging. Her race had nothing to do with that scene.

I think the only subtext to that scene is that we are supposed to be impressed with the depth of her humanity, because firstly she's doing this to save the life of a woman who has been racially insensitive for years and secondly she's able to be demeaned by Gabi and still feel sorry for her afterwards, as evidenced by her line to Eli about how much pain Gabi was in.

So honestly seriously, spell this out for me so I can understand why this is racially insensitive because I feel like I'm missing it.

If you can't understand why it is horrible, horrible optics to have a black woman on her knees begging, then maybe you never will understand it.

• Love 5

Ugh, Ciara is still wearing that fugly sweater.

Yeah, having visited Hong Kong gives you a grasp of Mandarin.

Be careful, Jennifer, Rolf will turn you into a newt.

"One thing Jennifer Horton isn't, is a liar." He says, as she lies.

How are they planning on getting that crib over to Rafe's house?

Rob's Boston accent was coming through today.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

It was a toy box that Ben was putting together, but yea, I wondered how they were going to get it over to Rafe's house....it wont fit on the back of Ciara's motorcycle 🙂

• Love 3
18 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Me too. It should be fun to see them as a pseudo-couple.

When a person of color tells you that something is insensitive and thoughtless, you should take heed of that.. You should not try to tell them that they are being too sensitive or paranoid.. The optics of a Black woman on her knees begging was just bad.  If there were writers of color in the writing room, they could have told Ron to change it.  I don't expect Ron to be like Bill Bell or Agnes Nixon who were white but knew how to write for people of color..It is just more of Ron's stupid writing.  He is a hack, always has been and always will be..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

When a person of color tells you that something is insensitive and thoughtless, you should take heed of that.. You should not try to tell them that they are being too sensitive or paranoid.. The optics of a Black woman on her knees begging was just bad.  If there were writers of color in the writing room, they could have told Ron to change it.  I don't expect Ron to be like Bill Bell or Agnes Nixon who were white but knew how to write for people of color..It is just more of Ron's stupid writing.  He is a hack, always has been and always will be..

I can’t say it any better than it already has been.  Showing a black woman on her knees begging to a woman of another race is visually offensive to me.  And I’m not an overly sensitive person when it comes to race.  Neither am I someone who goes overboard with political correctness.  However, “that scene” brings up all types of slavery imagery and the belief by many that black women are inferior to women of other races.  Maybe Ron thought it was okay since Gabi is not white.  It was still NOT okay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I don't particularly like Ciara but I actually think its one of the few things that makes sense she lived with Shawn/Belle for months in Hong Kong its not hard to believe she would pick up certain words. Shawn knew some Chinese himself when he told JJ about a phrase Haley used.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

When a person of color tells you that something is insensitive and thoughtless, you should take heed of that..

I am fully taking heed, and listening 🙂 Seriously, I want to see what others are seeing. I just need some help to see it...it's like a Where's Waldo and I am perhaps missing what's right in front of me. 

You should not try to tell them that they are being too sensitive or paranoid..

I...never said that.

The optics of a Black woman on her knees begging was just bad.  If there were writers of color in the writing room, they could have told Ron to change it. 

Maybe they would have, yeah...but from what I understand Ron lives and works in New York City so the other writers might never actually be in a room with him. Who knows.

I'm still not seeing how Lani's skin color has anything to do with it though. If it were Julie forcing Lani to beg for something, because she's already shown herself to be a bit of a racist, I would absolutely be offended by the dynamics there. A loud-mouthed white woman towering over a black woman meekly bowing in a subservient position? Yeah that would set off the alarm bells...

(Although curiously, now that I think about it, isn't that kind of what happened when Bernadette Peters played wicked stepmother to Brandy's Cinderella in the 90s? I don't remember that being weird. But then Bernadette's character also had one daughter of colour. That was a really diverse cast too, with I think a Hawaiian Prince, and Victor Garber and Whoopi Goldberg as his parents the King and Queen. Random mental image there.) 

...but this was Gabriella, a Hispanic woman, telling Lani, the Black woman who shot her husband, that if she wants his heart to be donated to her new relative that she's going to have to beg for it. Gabriella isn't racist. She wasn't picking on Lani because of racial tension. She was trying deliberately to get under the skin of the person who murdered her husband. And she even said so. Lani looked like the bigger person for ultimately giving Gabi what she wanted.

I guess if the point simply is that it's triggering to see a black person forced to get down on their knees and beg for anything, I can kind of understand that. It's equally worrisome to see a scene in which a gay character is surrounded by a mob of angry guys, whether or not there's about to be a gay bashing...just as it would be equally uncomfortable to see a Jewish character forced to declare their religion on an official piece of paper or something...

But those are pretty general terms. Whether or not something is really racist or homophobic or anti-semitic comes down to the specifics of the scene and the tone and the subtext and the overall context of the show or program it's part of. I mean, remember when Abe was shot a few years ago during The Siege storyline, by either Clyde or Xander or Orpheus? I don't really remember anybody wondering whether that was racist. It was just a plot point. The shooter was white and the victim was black, but the whole story beat was more about these criminals upsetting the citizens of Salem and the Law & Order power structure. (Although I believe Clyde is probably racist. I don't remember anything specifically indicating he was, but it just seems like he would be.) Abe's race had nothing to do with his gettting shot. You could say that it's a upsetting to see a black man in a position of power speaking in front of a crowd of people getting shot. That's a fair thing to say, but in the context of how it was presented it wasn't racist per say.

I guess I should just let this all go...I just really would rather understand the argument for why this is racist so that I can see it as others do. At the moment I don't really see it as racist as much as just a plot point. But that's just my perspective.

I think this is been said several times here before, but I find it much more bothersome that most of the black characters on the show are paired up with other black characters (Abe and Lexie, Abe and Valerie, Eli and Lani, Abe and Maxine, etc). I really liked seeing Gabi and Eli together, because I don't think the show ever had a pairing between a Latina and an African-American before (there was Sami and Brandan way back when...but not much else). It was nice to see the dating characters mingling in a more realistic way. The world I live in is a blended one. I kind of wish Days of Our Lives had given Valerie an Australian or Irish or Brazilian boyfriend. Why not? Why just Abe? Why is that a default?

But we talked about that before so I won't drag that out again. And please trust I don't mean to offend or be insensitive to anybody. I'm really just trying to have the conversation so that it's clearer to me moving forward. I'm not a person of colour, but I think I can relate to how others view things if it's explained to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, A.J. said:

Showing a black woman on her knees begging to a woman of another race is visually offensive to me...“that scene” brings up all types of slavery imagery and the belief by many that black women are inferior to women of other races.  Maybe Ron thought it was okay since Gabi is not white.  It was still NOT okay.

Okay.

Hypothetical question: if it had been another black person instead of Gabi standing and telling Lani to beg, would that have made the scene...not racist?

And another question: has Ron demonstrated in his writing career a lack of sensitivity/underlying racist commentary towards black characters? This is my first time dealing with him. I didn't watch any of the other shows he was writing for.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

I agree about Valerie being wasted on Abe. I like Abe but I don't buy women like Lexie or Valerie would ever be attracted to him either. I liked that ISA agent guy (who was played by William Christian aka Derek Frye on AMC) that was needling John I would've gone for him and Valerie together... or maybe her and Dr. Shah?

I actually think Gabi should have made all of them beg instead of signaling out Lani.  It would have mitigated some of the optics and not relied so much on the actress's ability to act.

So Princess Gina (I presume) doesn't want people to know she's Princess Gina and yet she stands out in the middle of the square smoking?  She's not very good at pretending she's Hope.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

So Princess Gina (I presume) doesn't want people to know she's Princess Gina and yet she stands out in the middle of the square smoking?  She's not very good at pretending she's Hope.

I know, she's kinda terrible at it!  First she's asking Roman for champagne - as if the Pub is going to have anything good - and THEN she spit it out.  That really made me laugh, KA is a most excellent spitter.

Then she steals the cigarettes and stands RIGHT OUTSIDE THE PUB, not exactly the best place to be sneaking a cigarette.  For whatever reason, I'm enjoying KA right now more than I have in ages.  The way she ground that cigarette butt out with her high heels was superb.

Gee golly whiz, Haley is back and I didn't miss her, not for even one micro second.   I get that she would be surprised that Hope smokes, but maybe she should keep her judgement about other people's behavior to herself?  Poor JJ, no wonder he's working nights.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

I guess you don't bake much Jordan. You would wash your hands first and probably put your long hair in to a ponytail, so you don't get hair in your cupcakes. And of course mark off a special one for Ciara. Hello suspicion.

Ben, you are doing way too much for your sister and nephew. The stuffed toy is enough of a gift and not the handmade toy box. Ciara should probably know a few Mandarin phrases if she lived in Hong Kong.

Hope, I drink the cheap prosecco, which is probably what the bar had. Maybe they had some Veuve Clicquot - but that would be probably the highest end they have. Spitting it out? It would have to be super sweet for me to do so.

Jack Devereaux's apology tour has a lot of stops! He can be like a farewell band tour - touring for years! Haley probably forgot all about him. Nice to see him rescue chalky Jennifer from the evil manhandling of Dr. Rolf. He seemed really desperate to get his USB stick back. Jen, you probably won't be able to break the encryption. Leave it somewhere in Horton Square for him to find it. What is this new Saxon restaurant? Another set?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the idea is that Gina's personality is slowly booting up.

...weird how Rolfe can install new personalities in people...but not believable accents.

You guys it's going to be so bad listening to KA once this story gets going.

I wonder what Gina will think about Hope having shot Stefano.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, boes said:

Gee golly whiz, Haley is back and I didn't miss her, not for even one micro second.   I get that she would be surprised that Hope smokes, but maybe she should keep her judgement about other people's behavior to herself?  Poor JJ, no wonder he's working nights.

The funny thing is before today Haley/Hope never interacted so how would she know... if they wanted Haley to get airtime have her actually do nursing things(although the show did mention her and JJ were working in the hospital off screen which is rather surprising) might've helped with the character development to begin with... too hard for this show to grasp though.

55 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Leave it somewhere in Horton Square for him to find it. What is this new Saxon restaurant? Another set?

It looks like the Dimera Study room repurposed...if you look at certain parts of the room real carefully

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

At the moment I don't really see it as racist as much as just a plot point. But that's just my perspective.

Yea, I don't think there's any indication that the scene or story itself have any racist implications, but I can see that it was bad optics. I think TPTB were probably just ignorant about that though. 

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I actually think Gabi should have made all of them beg instead of signaling out Lani.  It would have mitigated some of the optics and not relied so much on the actress's ability to act.

This. They needed to go all in and have her getting the whole Horton brood to beg. But the story going forward will obviously be about Gabi seeking revenge against Lani for killing Stefan, so I can see why, plot-wise, they went with her singling out Lani.

I am really enjoying this Hope/Princess Gina thing. I suspect it'll get old/bad fast but I'm gonna enjoy it for now. And I think KA is doing great with it. Again, for now lol.

When Haley showed up, my sister was like 'I forgot about her,' lol. And then we just fast forwarded through all the Haley/JJ scenes.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Hypothetical question: if it had been another black person instead of Gabi standing and telling Lani to beg, would that have made the scene...not racist?

She literally already explained to you why the image was bad. How am I team Gabi and I get that scene was in poor taste? This statement sounds a whole lot like "but what about black on black crime? argument" and short answer no, it wouldn't be racist(maybe colorist if the woman was lighter than Lani herself) black people don't have a history of purposefully casting each other in a bad light and other exclusionary practices in the media the way non-black individuals do. Historical context matters and contrary to popular belief we are still very far away from a scene like this being "harmless". I know you were hoping for someone to tell you(which is fine, good even) exactly how this scene was racist and you were told and still somehow didn't get it so idk what to tell except don't try to tell women of color especially black women who watched that scene how to feel about it or that race had nothing to do with it. Because to us it has everything to do with it. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, TeamGabi said:

She literally already explained to you why the image was bad. How am I team Gabi and I get that scene was in poor taste? This statement sounds a whole lot like "but what about black on black crime? argument" and short answer no, it wouldn't be racist(maybe colorist if the woman was lighter than Lani herself) black people don't have a history of purposefully casting each other in a bad light and other exclusionary practices in the media the way non-black individuals do. Historical context matters and contrary to popular belief we are still very far away from a scene like this being "harmless". I know you were hoping for someone to tell you(which is fine, good even) exactly how this scene was racist and you were told and still somehow didn't get it so idk what to tell except don't try to tell women of color especially black women who watched that scene how to feel about it or that race had nothing to do with it. Because to us it has everything to do with it. 

Yep.

Well said.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

guess you don't bake much Jordan. You would wash your hands first and probably put your long hair in to a ponytail, so you don't get hair in your cupcakes.

That bugs me so much on TV.  At least she was just private making cupcakes.  But, so often there are people professionally working in the food making or service industries with their hair completely down.  Come on. Any food place I've ever worked, it was the rule that it had to be pulled back.

• Love 2

Vic's description of Kristen's soul was everything.

A new restaurant? Jack's favorite restaurant, that we've never seen before?

Speaking of which, with Julie in the hospital, Doug dancing attendance on her, and Chloe out of town, who's running Doug's Place?

Doesn't Maggie still own a restaurant?

Lani and Eli talking about considering food allergies from their guests made me think that a soap could do a really good story about a child having a food allergy.  Why not Arianna? It would be a story.

The interplay between Jack, Jennifer, Adrienne and Justin was really well done.  It was just like good friends/family.

What was Victor doing there, getting rid of anybody who could run Titan?

• Love 4

Nice that they had the Dimera study repurposed to a restaurant since we haven't seen it in ages.

Even though there's no real buildup to it I did find the double date between Jack/Jennifer and Justin/Adrienne really nice and their scenes together and apart the best part of this episode.

Adrienne's hairstyle is awful btw.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

A new restaurant? Jack's favorite restaurant, that we've never seen before?

I was confused, too, lol. Especially since it looked like there was a sign for the restaurant on one of the buildings on the Square.  But...had the square even debuted before Jack tumbled down the elevator? I honestly can't remember. Maybe I'll just fanwank that they've dined at Saxon's Bistro in the past, but they just recently opened a new location on the square. And why did it look like there was an elevator at the restaurant entrance? Shades of the Penthouse Grille.

I thought today's episode was weird. Weirdly written, weirdly edited. Jennifer and Kate's rather out-of-the-blue park bench chat...Jack and Jennifer acting like it was their second date ever (I get the whole being nervous because it's been so long thing, but this ain't the first time that's happened with them, either), stilted conversations with Will and Sonny and Gabi (also, wasn't Gabi on the phone when Will and Sonny came by? Then she just agrees to go with them and walks out without grabbing her phone or purse or anything? Or did I miss something?)....Everyone showing up at the restaurant without seeming to even notice Eli and Lani at first...the whole "stay, go, no!" dinner table scene with Justin, Adrienne, Jack and Jenn was super awkward....it was like they were all ad-libbing the whole scene. Like I said, just weird.

So, are y'all sure Hope is turning into Gina again? Because...I just can't. I mean, yeah that's what I assume is happening, too, but I'm really hoping for a different kind of twist, even though as soon as she picked up the cigarettes I was 99% sure that Gina is back. Ugh. But I will agree that I'm enjoying watching how Kristian Alfonso is playing this out. It really has been kinda fun to watch.

• Love 5

So Lani and Eli go to this restaurant to sample wedding cakes at the dinner rush? Seriously? They would go in the morning or after the lunch rush (if it is open for lunch). And the serving sizes! So much food waste unless the eaten part is cut off and the rest is taken to a homeless shelter.

How does Jack remember this restaurant? It looks fancy and modern. Adrienne, your hair style is doing you no favours. Jennifer, for evening, the pale chalk lip is unflattering. Try a light red or maybe berry shade.

No need for a double date for Jack and Jenn and Justin and Adrienne. They can say hi and then go to their own tables.

Gabi, keep going at Lani…..

Victor's comment about Kristen's soul being on the ultrasound photo made me laugh.

Geez, Brady, you are focused on Kristen and not running the company. And really, get your own house and hire a servant. Victor is even ticking off Kate.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

So Lani and Eli go to this restaurant to sample wedding cakes at the dinner rush? Seriously? They would go in the morning or after the lunch rush (if it is open for lunch). And the serving sizes! So much food waste unless the eaten part is cut off and the rest is taken to a homeless shelter.

I know!  All that cake really made me hungry, so much so that it was starting to annoy me that Eli was playing sexy with it instead of eating it when it looked so good.  I guess maybe it's been too long since I've had cake.......oh well!

Speaking of it being too long since somebody has had something, Jack sure didn't have to invite Jenn up to his room a second time!  Corny as it all may have been, I very much enjoyed the two of them today, even though we've seen variations on this theme from them multiple times.  Same, for me, with Justin and Adrienne.  Adrienne can be tiresome at times, but today I thought she kinda charming in her cluelessness.

Gabi, dearest, if you want to make Lani's life a living hell AND get away with it, try not to be so obvious.  

I like the new restaurant set.  It looks like it was constructed from, as some of you have said, the DiMera study and good chunks of the Martin house.  The place has the sort of rich look I like - all that wood, like the Kiriakis mansion was before Eve had it painted - and looks better, IMO, than Doug's Place.  

Victor can often be an asshole, but he can insult Kristen up to and while she delivers this demon child.  Brady is such an idiot grandson.  I do wonder, though, if Kristen will be wearing leopard print maternity dresses and boots up to the blessed event.  That's, umm, quite a look......

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

How does Jack remember this restaurant? It looks fancy and modern.

Oh I thought it looked old fashioned and "classic" with all that wood.  It also looked about as big as a closet with its bar and two tables.  Still, I was pretty darn excited to see a new/newish set. I'll change my mind after I see it a bajillion times and it's being used in inappropriate ways--like for a kids party--but for now I'm happy with it.  I also enjoyed how multiple stories converged in the one place.

Jennifer might not have the best lipstick but I liked her dress and I think she looked pretty.  She looked really happy. I don't know if it's Missy or just Missy acting but it makes her so much more likable.

1 hour ago, boes said:

Corny as it all may have been, I very much enjoyed the two of them today, even though we've seen variations on this theme from them multiple times. 

"Are you going to ask me if I want to see your etchings?" That's such an old school line that it gave me a nice dose of nostalgia. 

I really enjoyed Justin, Jack Adrienne and Jennifer.  The only duo missing were Steve and Kayla (aaah the love and awkwardness of that). 

Those cake pieces were huge. It's like someone had never been to a cake tasting before. (I haven't either so I can't really speak out of authority.)  But the sizes were basically a serving you'd get for dessert or to share.  Cake tastings, from what I know of them, are much smaller.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
On 10/19/2019 at 10:24 AM, boes said:

My opinon is a bit of an outlier, I guess, but I'm enjoying Hope more since her encounter with Dr. Rolf than I have in years.  I never liked Princess Gina or any of the storylines connected to her and The Pawn, ever, but right now, in these early stages with what I guess is Hope's confusion, I'm enjoying her storyline.

Same here.  Hope has been pretty much destroyed over the last few years what with being a rogue cop, marrying Rafe, being pathetic and needy, etc.  And damn was she boring.  So far I'm liking this story direction for her, and since I wasn't watching Days during the Princess Gina era whatever KA does will be new to me. 

• Love 5

Cake tastings are usually like teeny slivers. Also it looked and seemed like an old school high end steakhouse which I’ve worked 2 (drastically different but same upper end price point ones since August). Some make v nice desserts in house. Some half ass boring ones in house. Wedding cakes with tiers and usually fondant are a different breed and skill set, and brought in. Wedding cakes are usually chosen and booked well in advance, like the florists, not like a month before. I’ve been engaged before and had relatives with elaborate weddings also so know it’s not some slap dash shit. I agree with @boes seeing the slices and them eating it made me crave Chicago Diners vegan Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake or Carrot Cake or Black Forest Cake and I’ve not been a sweets person for years.   

Jennifer looked beautiful today and it was nice to see characters acknowledge the light and glow she has now that she has love, real love. Kate looked gorgeous too. Will actually looked really nice today as well. 

I low key think Hope isn’t brainwashed /chipped/hypnosized into Gina, but that this is actually Gina and swapped into Hope as some “gotcha” moment 🖕🏽 by Dumbass (by dumbass I mean Ron, on this show I have to be specific). 

• Love 6
On 10/23/2019 at 2:51 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I think this is been said several times here before, but I find it much more bothersome that most of the black characters on the show are paired up with other black characters (Abe and Lexie, Abe and Valerie, Eli and Lani, Abe and Maxine, etc). I really liked seeing Gabi and Eli together, because I don't think the show ever had a pairing between a Latina and an African-American before (there was Sami and Brandan way back when...but not much else). It was nice to see the dating characters mingling in a more realistic way. The world I live in is a blended one. I kind of wish Days of Our Lives had given Valerie an Australian or Irish or Brazilian boyfriend. Why not? Why just Abe? Why is that a default?

But we talked about that before so I won't drag that out again. And please trust I don't mean to offend or be insensitive to anybody. I'm really just trying to have the conversation so that it's clearer to me moving forward. I'm not a person of colour, but I think I can relate to how others view things if it's explained to me.

Yeah ,if only TIIC didnt write Dr Colin Murphy out. Plus he was Irish and spOke with an Irish accent . And he wasa doctor .

Perhaps he and Valerie could have hooked up  .

For some Inexplicable reason ,I do recall back in 2003 hoping they would pair Colin and Lexie even though I do acknowledge that Lexie had insane chemistry with TEK and Brandon plus there was chemistry between Colin and Lexie whenever they interacted at the hospital since they were both colleagues. 

I think Abe should have been paired with either Celeste or Fay Walker or they coud have brought back Tamara PRice .

No offence to Abe/Lexie fans But I think Lexie was dragged down by the Abe/Lexie pairing . 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

... stilted conversations with Will and Sonny and Gabi (also, wasn't Gabi on the phone when Will and Sonny came by? Then she just agrees to go with them and walks out without grabbing her phone or purse or anything? Or did I miss something?)....

She finished her call right before she opened the door for Will/Sonny.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Adrienne's hairstyle is awful btw.

It REALLY is. 

On 10/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, Katy M said:

That bugs me so much on TV.  At least she was just private making cupcakes.  But, so often there are people professionally working in the food making or service industries with their hair completely down. 

And I know! Me, too. 

Not sure why I have nothing to say except to complain about their hair, lol, but that's where I am today. Of course I loved Jack and Jenn's date and sweet time together yesterday -- they are my north star on this show : )

• Love 4

I really liked seeing Justin, Adrienne, Jack and Jen together. 

I'm glad they skipped the Jack and Jen love scene.   They are good at doing some comedy bits but romance isn't their thing.  MA is the most non sexual actor I can remember.  The worst screen kisser too. That hasn't changed since the 80s.

• Love 4

Brady, you ho.

Gee, Jack and Jen slept together on their first date.  😄

Yeah, I knew that throw Lani into the grave thing wasn't real.

DiMera Enterprises couldn't be bothered to send a representative to Stefan's funeral?  Chad couldn't be bothered to come?  Tony didn't show up?

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, SnK said:

I really liked seeing Justin, Adrienne, Jack and Jen together. 

I'm glad they skipped the Jack and Jen love scene.   They are good at doing some comedy bits but romance isn't their thing.  MA is the most non sexual actor I can remember.  The worst screen kisser too. That hasn't changed since the 80s.

Jack/Jennifer were never that type of couple to begin with. I think they can do romance(dancing, being flirty etc) but that raw hot passion that Bo/Hope or Steve/Kayla can do? Not so much it doesn't fit their personalities etc.

• Love 7