Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Can they? Sure.

But it doesn't seem like growth to me, just "sweep under the rug" whitewashing (and getting rid of others (Sarah) to make HER fly or ruining existing characters (Jack) for said growth).

So. Gwen can die or fall into a black hole as far as I'm concerned.

Then that would be a beef with the writers, not the character(s) or actor(s).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

But characters only exist because of the writers so......???  Isn't that a given?

Or is more being possessed in Salem than we thought?

Edited by boes
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, boes said:

But characters only exist because of the writers so......???  Isn't that a given?

Or is more being possessed on Salem than we thought?

Yes, which is why I hate a lot of the writing myself! I guess I just try to separate the writing from the acting. It's not the actor's fault if his/her character is being 'propped up' at the demise of another character. Hopefully, the writers will listen to the fans and decide to even out their storyline(s).

Ok, that's wishful thinking on my part, but by the same token, I just don't understand wishing a character dead when it appears that he/she is actually trying to grow. IOW, I'm okay with Gwen unless she starts terrorizing her family again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

And the writers create and write said character, so the character is basically the writer. You like Gwen; I don't. Both opinions are valid.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, boes said:

So now we get the Bible according to St. Julie?  She accessorizes herself with that rosary and suddenly she's the Pope?

Her Holiness must have forgotten that bit about not being a raging witch whenever the mood strikes her.  I guess the Devil wouldn't possess her because who would notice the difference?

And Julie, it’s Catholicism, not Scientology or Christian Scientists where you think you can pray the disease away. We listen to our doctors. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

I'm okay with Gwen unless she starts terrorizing her family again.

When did she stop?  She's still lying about her miscarriage.  She stood there and let Abigail apologize to her for something she had nothing to do with.  She manipulates Jack with Jack's guilt about his past with no concern about how he's affected.  Has she ever apologized to Jennifer for humiliating her, trying to kill her child, actually killing her mother?  JJ?  No.  She just thinks everyone should accept her and forgive because of her sad, sad, story.  That's all it should take.  No real effort on her part. 

Real growth would be to tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may and accept that it's HER own fault.  She still hasn't taken much responsibility for all the crap she's pulled.  She's selfish and thinks she's entitled to do what she wants and excuses everything she's done because she had a rough childhood.  Jack owes the overgrown thirty-something himself, his home, his family, etc. no matter what.  Everyone should forgive her just because. 

I might accept some growth on her part if she ever drops all her sad stories as excuses.  Admit that targeting Abigail never made any sense and that she did try to snuff her out. But she won't.  It'll always be "poor Gwen."  "Whitewash" is the perfect description.  The show has stopped listing her drugging Abigail to the point of brain damage as one of her crimes.  It's now just attacking Abigail's marriage that any of them mention.  

• Love 10
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

But it doesn't seem like growth to me, just "sweep under the rug" whitewashing (and getting rid of others (Sarah) to make HER fly or ruining existing characters (Jack) for said growth).

It don't get the impression that they got rid of Sarah to prop Gwen at all. I don't think they decided they wanted to pair Gwen with Xander and so they wanted to dump Sarah to facilitate it. It seems like LG was let go or chose to leave for other reasons (perhaps her mental health or simply because TPTB just didn't feel like writing for Sarah for a bit) and then they went about trying to see what to do with Xander, since for whatever reason he/PT was more important or fun to write for than Sarah/LG.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, chediavolo said:

And Julie, it’s Catholicism, not Scientology or Christian Scientists where you think you can pray the disease away. We listen to our doctors. 

Lol..ahh but definitely need a PRIEST  for an exorcism!! 😉 

Maybe Julies the one w/ beginning dementia !?? 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I was not a fan of Johnny's singing today, but I give him props for trying & it seems TBTB are writing Johnny as a "Master of all trades": Musician, Film-maker, screen-writer, casting director, etc.   Meanwhile,  Abigail as Marlena is a stretch, and I would think Abigail with all her past mental problems would be heisitant to portray a possessed person.  Meanwhile, I continue to enjoy Chanel, the young actress has real charm & sparkle

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

A specially trained priest to do an exorcism.

How about Fadda Eric?  I don't know anyone other than Julie who can make fun disappear so quickly as he can.  

giphy.gif

FUN BE GONE!

Edited by boes
  • LOL 11
21 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Boring Abigail has some hubris thinking she can “act” and play Marlena. What hog wash! She is ridiculous. 

One of her other personalities was Dr. Laura. She does come across as a dried up lime.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It don't get the impression that they got rid of Sarah to prop Gwen at all. I don't think they decided they wanted to pair Gwen with Xander and so they wanted to dump Sarah to facilitate it. It seems like LG was let go or chose to leave for other reasons (perhaps her mental health or simply because TPTB just didn't feel like writing for Sarah for a bit) and then they went about trying to see what to do with Xander, since for whatever reason he/PT was more important or fun to write for than Sarah/LG.

I also doubt Sarah's disappearance has any bearing on the Gwen/Xander storyline. Otherwise, the two would already be declaring ILY by now. I suppose they value EOB's acting chops more than that of LG's and her stirring chemistry with PT encourages them to focus more on Gwen and Xander.

Edited by Guest

I wonder if the tape recorded the demon's voice or whether it will be missing.

Doug, be careful what you say. Make sure no one is around. Of course, Julie is going on and on. I laughed when MarDevil clonked her with the hospital tray.

Johnnie, you weren't exactly playing the guitar. You do have do actually do something with the strings. Surprised you didn't put the case out for cash to put toward your movie. Do respect that Chanel has to get up at 4 am.

Abigail, you should talk to your therapist about your 'acting' plans for a horror movie. Unless your meds are under control, it may not be a good idea. You are not an actress.

Ben, some mental illness can be inherited. It is a risk like any other disease. Hanging out with Tripp and Allie is a bit boring.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Johnnie, you weren't exactly playing the guitar.

THANK YOU! Why'd they even do a close-up if he clearly can't play or even fake playing? It's like they want the show to come off worse than it has to sometimes...

And why was Doc having a conversation with an audio recorder? Does Satan control electronics now? Or did he prerecord that long ass message with timed pauses? 🙄

If Ben gets to chase the devil out of Marlena this time and is magically gifted a miracle angel baby......can we protest at the studio? All of us? I mean....I just can't take it anymore.

I would have paid good hard cash to see Kate Mansi playing Abigail today, if only to get to see Chad say to her "you can't act".

Actually, I want her back for this whole posession storyline. She plays unhinged and dangerous so easily.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, KBrownie said:
23 hours ago, MsTree said:

I'm okay with Gwen unless she starts terrorizing her family again.

When did she stop?  She's still lying about her miscarriage. 

Yes, but lying is not terrorizing.

17 hours ago, KBrownie said:

Real growth would be to tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may and accept that it's HER own fault.  She still hasn't taken much responsibility for all the crap she's pulled. 

She's admitted the full truth to Xander, so that's a start. Maybe once she gets over her abandonment issues and realizes that Jack won't disown her, she'll eventually confess all. It's a process and needs time...and of course, that's all part of the drama of a soap.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I would have paid good hard cash to see Kate Mansi playing Abigail today, if only to get to see Chad say to her "you can't act".

Actually, I want her back for this whole posession storyline. She plays unhinged and dangerous so easily.

I've been thinking about how this would make more sense with KM playing Abigail. Her Abigail was so smug and horrible, so it would make more sense for her to be all in on this. MM's Abigail is being very ooc. Still, I love it lol. I hope Johnny casts the movie entirely with the current characters and that we get to see them shooting it. That's very Ron, so I'm sure it's coming. And I'm excited!

She's admitted the full truth to Xander, so that's a start. Maybe once she gets over her abandonment issues and realizes that Jack won't disown her, she'll eventually confess all. It's a process and needs time...and of course, that's all part of the drama of a soap.

This. I prefer this style of someone changing/getting redeemed to what they did with Ben.

• Love 6

Lying to hurt someone isn't terrorizing them?  Deliberately making someone think they had a part in killing a baby isn't terrorizing them?  Okay.

Her continuing to lie about her miscarriage is still terrorizing Abigail and the rest of the family.  She KNOWS full well that Abigail blamed herself for what happened to that child when she KNOWS that Abigail had absolutely NOTHING to do with her having a miscarriage.  Even BEFORE Abigail showed up and told her exactly how sorry she was, she knew.  That's the entire point of the lie in the first place.  To hurt Abigail.  You don't have to be actively poisoning someone, and telling nasty lives to break up multiple families to terrorize someone.  The dumb, twisted wench is still intent on hurting Abigail for daring to have had the childhood she thinks she was entitled to.  And by extension, she hurts the rest of that family because they care about Abigail's well-being.  Jack showed that this week.  When has she EVER been shown to, without it benefitting her selfish wants and what she thinks is owed to her, care about anyone else's well-being other than herself and now Xander (which is wrapped up in him doing something for HER or how someone is treating HER nice for once)?  That would be growth.  She's been actively lying about one nasty, terrible thing after another for over a year now.  When does this supposed growth take place.  Any real character development would have already started way back in January when the retcon was first revealed.  It's October and she's stilly lying and singing the same sad song as then.  There's no growth.  Just pushing her on to something else in hopes that everyone just forgets about the rest.

Telling Xander means absolutely nothing.  She knows Xander is just as much as a immoral degenerate as she is that gets off on hurting people.  She didn't confess anything until after Xander showed that he would lie for her anyway.  Tell Jack.  Tell Abigail.  Then it might mean something.

She's only worried about what Jack thinks now because Jack has given her MULTIPLE opportunities to come clean and she's continued to lie protect only herself.  She knows that even stupid Jack might have a limit to how much he can take being lied to and made a fool of.  Jack barely blinked at her trying to KILL his other child and doesn't even mention all her other shit.  She's had more than enough proof that she can manipulate the fool Jack as much as she wants by producing some big, fat tears with her now standard line: "I never had a ________ before" filling in the blank with whatever suits the listener the best.  The result is her never seriously having to be held responsible for every nasty thing she's done even though Jack also never did a thing to her.  He has abandoned his other kids though.  Yet they get none of the coddling of this bitch.

Whatever to any "growth."  I ain't seeing it.  She has no reason to continue to lie other than she wants tp hurt Abigail by continuing to let her feel guilty that her spite baby didn't want her for a mother.  She knows deep down too that if Jack were really honest with himself and didn't feel so sorry and guilty, he would prefer that Abigail and JJ were the only kids he had.  And that's 100% on GWEN.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, KBrownie said:

Lying to hurt someone isn't terrorizing them?  Deliberately making someone think they had a part in killing a baby isn't terrorizing them?  Okay.

Her continuing to lie about her miscarriage is still terrorizing Abigail and the rest of the family.  She KNOWS full well that Abigail blamed herself for what happened to that child when she KNOWS that Abigail had absolutely NOTHING to do with her having a miscarriage.  Even BEFORE Abigail showed up and told her exactly how sorry she was, she knew.  That's the entire point of the lie in the first place.  To hurt Abigail.  You don't have to be actively poisoning someone, and telling nasty lives to break up multiple families to terrorize someone.  The dumb, twisted wench is still intent on hurting Abigail for daring to have had the childhood she thinks she was entitled to.  And by extension, she hurts the rest of that family because they care about Abigail's well-being.  Jack showed that this week.  When has she EVER been shown to, without it benefitting her selfish wants and what she thinks is owed to her, care about anyone else's well-being other than herself and now Xander (which is wrapped up in him doing something for HER or how someone is treating HER nice for once)?  That would be growth.  She's been actively lying about one nasty, terrible thing after another for over a year now.  When does this supposed growth take place.  Any real character development would have already started way back in January when the retcon was first revealed.  It's October and she's stilly lying and singing the same sad song as then.  There's no growth.  Just pushing her on to something else in hopes that everyone just forgets about the rest.

Telling Xander means absolutely nothing.  She knows Xander is just as much as a immoral degenerate as she is that gets off on hurting people.  She didn't confess anything until after Xander showed that he would lie for her anyway.  Tell Jack.  Tell Abigail.  Then it might mean something.

She's only worried about what Jack thinks now because Jack has given her MULTIPLE opportunities to come clean and she's continued to lie protect only herself.  She knows that even stupid Jack might have a limit to how much he can take being lied to and made a fool of.  Jack barely blinked at her trying to KILL his other child and doesn't even mention all her other shit.  She's had more than enough proof that she can manipulate the fool Jack as much as she wants by producing some big, fat tears with her now standard line: "I never had a ________ before" filling in the blank with whatever suits the listener the best.  The result is her never seriously having to be held responsible for every nasty thing she's done even though Jack also never did a thing to her.  He has abandoned his other kids though.  Yet they get none of the coddling of this bitch.

Whatever to any "growth."  I ain't seeing it.  She has no reason to continue to lie other than she wants tp hurt Abigail by continuing to let her feel guilty that her spite baby didn't want her for a mother.  She knows deep down too that if Jack were really honest with himself and didn't feel so sorry and guilty, he would prefer that Abigail and JJ were the only kids he had.  And that's 100% on GWEN.  

I think she is trapped in that lie now. It happened right after she lost her baby and Abby said really nasty things to her. I don't think she would do the same now but it's too late. Anyway if Ben can walk around free and be lauded as a hero I have no issues with Gwen. Also helped by her being a decent actor as opposed to well, not.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Boring Abigail has some hubris thinking she can “act” and play Marlena. What hog wash! She is ridiculous. 

Johnny, the director of the movie, is the one who said he thought she could do it. And, I wasn’t watching back in the day, so maybe Marlena’s personality was different and bigger back in the day, but I’m not sure how Abigail is supposedly too boring to play straight-laced Marlena. For me, I don’t think Abigail or MM’s portrayal is boring. While I didn’t love the storyline, I thought she was fun and entertaining playing the Gabby personality. I thought she was entertaining and fun with her recent vendetta against Gwen and team-up with Gabi.

I think it’s a little weird that Johnny was insisting she was a natural actress. We haven’t seen them on-screen together enough to know why he’d assume that. But, I thought the scenes with Abigail and Chad were fun.

Ugh, poor Tripp and Allie saddled with propping duty for Ciara and Ben’s stupid baby angst. Love, I say sarcastically, the continued pussyfooting around with not naming Ben’s mental illness.

Other than the movie angle, I’m finding this devil storyline stupid and incredibly boring. Almost an entire ep of recap with Marlena listening to a tape recorder, Devil voice or not, was not entertaining.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I thought she was fun and entertaining playing the Gabby personality.

I thought they left her with her ass hanging out (it happens all too often lately). MM clearly had no ability to pull off a realistic latin cadence, but that's what the script asked of her.

It was embarrassing.

If you're going to do a multiple personality storyline it should be because you can see that the actor has the ability to be a chameleon and entertaining while doing so (Eileen Davidson). And then you write to that. But to throw an actor into the deep end and ask them to imitate a coworker (as SN was left to do with the Stefano storyline) is really unwise....unless you *know* it will work.

But YMMV.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

THANK YOU! Why'd they even do a close-up if he clearly can't play or even fake playing? It's like they want the show to come off worse than it has to sometimes...

And why was Doc having a conversation with an audio recorder? Does Satan control electronics now? Or did he prerecord that long ass message with timed pauses? 🙄

If Ben gets to chase the devil out of Marlena this time and is magically gifted a miracle angel baby......can we protest at the studio? All of us? I mean....I just can't take it anymore.

The only sound that guitar was making with Johnny's playing was maybe a booiiiiinnnnng with him rustling the strings. Don't know if actually found any chords. From a guy who fantasized about being a rock star. Maybe he planned to play the cowbell.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I love that all of the Sami’s kids are artistic and creative since she kind of always lived in a fantasy world. 
    I do wonder why only Lucas has questions about Sami disappearance.  She has done worse and not run away.  The text she sent Johnny about not calling back she is tied up sounded nothing like her.  It sounded more like crazy Kristin.  
    Ciara does not seem maternal at all and what’s the hurry having a baby?   Do they still visit their nephew David ?

• Love 8
6 hours ago, tribeca said:

I love that all of the Sami’s kids are artistic and creative since she kind of always lived in a fantasy world. 
    I do wonder why only Lucas has questions about Sami disappearance.  She has done worse and not run away.  The text she sent Johnny about not calling back she is tied up sounded nothing like her.  It sounded more like crazy Kristin.  
    Ciara does not seem maternal at all and what’s the hurry having a baby?   Do they still visit their nephew David ?

Was it Abigail who was an art major and taught Sami, or Sami was an art major who taught Abigail?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

Was it Abigail who was an art major and taught Sami, or Sami was an art major who taught Abigail?

It was Abigail teaching Sami.  

Then Abigail decided to show EJ her thesis.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tribeca said:

I felt so bad for Doug and Julie today.  People really don’t listen to seniors and the devil took advantage of that.  

Have to give Ron credit, though, that he's written it so that no one will believe Doug  And what a great acting job Bill Hayes is doing.  Imagine being such a big part of a storyline at 96 years old. I'm so glad he, and Susan, were up to doing it.  

• Love 19
15 minutes ago, tribeca said:

What was with all the pies Abe was making.  Was there suppose to be a joke in there ?

Not sure if there was a joke, but if there was, it went over my head. 

All I know is that Paulina's mother told Abe that Pecan pie was Paulina's favourite.  But then Chanel, who seemed happy about the pending engagement,  advised Abe that Key Lime was really Paulina's favourite pie, so they made a 2nd one.  No explanation, yet, as for the reason Chanel contradicted her grandmother,

• Love 3
On 10/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, brisbydog said:

I think she is trapped in that lie now. It happened right after she lost her baby and Abby said really nasty things to her. I don't think she would do the same now but it's too late. Anyway if Ben can walk around free and be lauded as a hero I have no issues with Gwen. Also helped by her being a decent actor as opposed to well, not.

What's that saying, the truth shall set you free? Gwen is only "trapped" because she can't woman up and act like a fucking adult.

• Love 7

All it did was make me want a slice of Apple Pie as I don't care for Pecan Pie(way too sweet) and never tried Key Lime Pie. Chanel/Abe were sweet even if its rushed since they never interacted up until that point.

• Love 4
On 10/2/2021 at 12:17 AM, MsTree said:

WRT to what I bolded:  it's not true growth if you ONLY tell the truth based on a condition. In this instance, the condition is "Jack won't disown her'.  Someone upthread posted (sorry I didn't quote it) that showing growth means telling the truth period - and letting the chips fall where they may.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:23 AM, KBrownie said:

He has abandoned his other kids though.  Yet they get none of the coddling of this bitch.

THIS! THIS! THIS!  I don't know what the show's "official" history is w/r/t Jack and how much he was involved in their lives when JJ & Abigail were growing up, but long time viewers will recall the many, many instances of Jack "dying" so he was absent for chunks of their life. Maybe DOOL wants to retcon this now that Gwen is on canvas to say Jack was never a part of Gwen's life but was always there for Abigail/JJ...

On 10/2/2021 at 9:19 AM, brisbydog said:

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

What's that saying, the truth shall set you free? Gwen is only "trapped" because she can't woman up and act like a fucking adult.

Hear hear @WendyCR72!  A grown ass woman won't act like an adult. To me, Gwen is not really "trapped", she's just taking the easy way out. And like I posted before, it's all working out for her. She has Jack in her life, she and Abigail have declared a tenuous truce, she sort of has Xander in her life, and it really doesn't seem like anyone/anything on canvas will spill the beans about how the miscarriage truly happened.  

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

WRT to what I bolded:  it's not true growth if you ONLY tell the truth based on a condition. In this instance, the condition is "Jack won't disown her'.  Someone upthread posted (sorry I didn't quote it) that showing growth means telling the truth period - and letting the chips fall where they may.

I'm of two minds with this.  If she actually learns to trust Jack and the bond that they've developed as father and daughter, I do think that does show growth.  However, making the decision to tell the truth regardless of the consequences because it's the right thing to do is obviously much better and shows a greater degree of growth as a person.

• Love 6

My DVR is having issues and regular error messages on recording. No idea it happens til I turn it on, hit the recordings button and then the error message shows up letting me know the show didn't tape, or most didn't. Usually get the last 10 minutes or so. It's random, so some days I get it and other days I find it online and watch it.

So frail Doug managed to get himself out of bed and smack Julie with the tray? Really? Marlena has been acting kinda weird and no one notices that she is a bit 'off'? And then she is ready to commit him to Bayview just like that with no real diagnosis of what is going on? She could have found an extended care centre for him.

John, don't let Kayla tell you it's against the law to listen to the recording. Maybe it is technically but you are her husband and for all she knows, you paid for the recorder.

So Paulina came sort of clean to Lani about the missed Paris trip? Lani, you are old enough to have gone to Paris yourself or with a boyfriend or your husband for the past number of years.

Why would Chanel sabotage the big date? She doesn't want a stepfather type figure in Abe? With the heavy ribs for dinner, wouldn't a nice light pie work better than pecan pie (I don't care for it either), or a refreshing lemon tart?

Poor Duke, ending up in the trash. Nice save, Nicole, to keep it from the cleaners. EJ may mean well, but it's your bear too. Convenient that she and EJ ran in to Rafe and Ava at Julie's place. You'd think that EJ would have taken her to the fancy Saxon bistro or whatever it is called.

• Love 8

Flop Jake has no meaningful reason to really be in Salem. The character is an epic fail . What a dud of a character. Barash would have been better off playing Max Brady .

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Boo to Rafe and Ava for interrupting EJ and Nicole’s date. Throw that damn bear away, Nicole!

She can donate it to the children’s ward at the hospital or a women’s shelter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, buffynut said:

No explanation, yet, as for the reason Chanel contradicted her grandmother,

I read that bit of dialogue as Olivia confusing Tamara’s favorite pie for Paulina’s because Tamara is the favored child.  I thought there were hints of that when Olivia was visiting Paulina in Salem.  She basically came to Salem to bully Paulina into maintaining the status quo of Tamara being Lani’s mother.  

Gawd, They went back to the silly Rupaul Demon voice.  Hate it.  While I felt bad for Doug, I liked how The MarDevil started to perpetrate it’s treachery by playing with people’s emotions.  That was the best aspect of the Original Possession. 

EJ being a total ass by making disparaging comments about Rafe on his “first” date with Nicole.  So amateurish.  I guess it’s been awhile since he’s been in the dating scene.  

• Love 3

Never in my life have I had key lime pie.   The scene remind me of the Julia Roberts Movie were she just ordered the eggs her date was having.  I don’t know why.  Or maybe Chanel needed an extra pie for the bakery.  
   Does anyone think John is getting a little suspicious of Marlena ?

• Love 1