Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: An Innocent Man

Tara Ariano

An incarcerated assassin asks to see Olivia and insists he's not guilty. Meanwhile, Mellie feels a camaraderie with a former first lady; Elizabeth makes progress with her corruption plan; and Fitz does something unexpected.

Fitz, Fitz, Fitz...It's going to be glorious to see you crash and burn.  You think Papa Pope doesn't have shit on you?  He always has an ace or hundred up his sleeve.

Speaking of Papa Pope, this show must have millions in the scenery department to replace all that he's chewed.  I'm surprised this show isn't performed on a bare stage.

Can you hear that, Cyrus?  It's the sounds of the Furies coming for you!  You are so, so screwed.

Still lovin' Evil Portia Di Rossi.

Huck is clandestinely bonding with his son.  Awww.  I still don't give two shits.

I've been listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast and found out that Joshua Malina is one of the regular performers, specifically as The Barkeep on "Spark Nevada: Mashall on Mars."  So, I was so hoping David would say "I don't want no trouble in my Department of Justice".  Paraphrasing, course.

Mellie still needs her own wacky spinoff.

I wasn't expecting the twist in the assassin B story and was sure that twist would have screwed with Olivia's views on Jake.

Also, why didn't Olivia just walk out of that room, after seeing Jake's poor face, and tell Fitz "It's over"?  This is a rhetorical question.

Lastly, two episodes left before the winter finale?  Awfully early, ain't it? 

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 4

At this point, I hate liv as much as I hate Fitz. I think this will be my last Scandal season assuming I make it to the end of the season.

Four years ago I tuned in to see a show about a strong, black, female, power broker who could presumably be someone to respect and admire. Aside from being black and female, Olivia is none of these things. As for the rest of the characters. I'm not here for the Mellie Show. I have better things to do with my time than watch the chronicles of a privileged white woman. Scandal was my first foray into Shondaland and boy what a disappointment.

• Love 12

Things the show needs to get rid of:

Hope (Oliva & Fitz's on/off abusive relationship). Dope (Fitz).

Papa Pope.

Mellie is going to run the country while Fitz is occupied. I'll watch.

I'm grateful that Jake is being sent to SuperMax instead of being killed. They'll wheel him out for sweeps.

• Love 9

Riffing on Fitz's fictitious Ronald Reagan predecessor -- complete with a mentally unbalanced assassin trying to impress a girl -- was just bizarre. Was this Scandal or Law & Order?

At least it gave us Bitsy Cooper, who was a more believable power player in one episode than four episodes of Portia de Rossi.

If I didn't just notice that Scott Foley now has second billing after Kerry Washington, I'd say Jake's storyline is almost done. But given that...probably not.

• Love 5

Portia di Rossi's character is supposed to be the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, right?

I have no trouble believing that she'd be working behind the scenes to stifle a Republican president who's taking liberal positions.

But the idea that she'd go on TV, and speak out against the president's policies? That's just silly. (Then again, so is this show.)

Also silly - the idea that the president can't get rid of his (woefully unqualified) press secretary unless she does something that Cyrus could list as just cause on an HR form.

• Love 3

Am I really supposed to believe that Cyrus doesn't have a password on his phone? That guy just picked it up and checked his emails right? I get that its a new phone but surely setting a password would have been the first thing Cyrus did. 

• Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo

I loved the scenes with Mellie and Bitsy (that is her name right). The one thing I like about Scandal is what it says about womens issues when it is not blindly focused on Fitz and Olivia.

Bitsy: "I'll be remembered as the wife of the man who did something with his life."

Don't give a crap about the Olivia and her two boyfriends drsma.

Huck bonding with his son by playing video games is sweat.

So....Cyrus is leaking. Bad prostitute boyfriend. I liked that he threatened to fire Abby after she got into Fitz's face and then she came back with the info that Cyrus is the leak.   

But the idea that she'd go on TV, and speak out against the president's policies? That's just silly. (Then again, so is this show.)

Technically she's not speaking out against the President and his  policy.  What she said was that the President who just died was a strong supporter of Republic values and some people could learn from that.  If I  Remember the reporter brought up Fitz and then Di Rossi's character basically said she had no comment or something to that effect. She never actually said anything negative against Fitz....she let the Reporter infer things and didn't deny them.   

Edited by Accused Dingo

I am just so VERY tired of Papa Pope's LONG ass monologues. I know we're supposed to be 'impressed' with Joe Morton's 'skill' but it's repetitive and tiresome and he delivers these never ending 'smackdowns' in the exact same tone every week at least twice an episode. I'm not scared of him, I'm BORED of him. ENOUGH.

• Love 17

Fitz is such a waste of space. How does he let himself get coached/conned by Rowan of all people? Loser.

Huck is clandestinely bonding with his son.  Awww.  I still don't give two shits.

Pretty much.

Don't give a crap about the Olivia and her two boyfriends drsma.

I've not ever really cared who Olivia ended up with, but I am now just sad that the show has come to this. There was a time when the show was about more than who would win Olivia's heart, right? At this point, the show is just Gossip Girl in DC - with less interesting fashion.

Can someone anyone kill Rowan.

I adore Joe Morton, but I need Rowan to be G-O-N-E. I need his enemies to band together and waste his pontificating ass.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

Technically she's not speaking out against the President and his  policy.  What she said was that the President who just died was a strong supporter of Republic values and some people could learn from that.  If I  Remember the reporter brought up Fitz and then Di Rossi's character basically said she had no comment or something to that effect. She never actually said anything negative against Fitz....she let the Reporter infer things and didn't deny them.   

She said that she thinks the president is doing a great job on national security - unless the rumors about the base closings are true.

I can't even fathom the chair of the president's party saying, "I'm hearing troubling rumors that the president is going to do ____."

• Love 1

Also silly - the idea that the president can't get rid of his (woefully unqualified) press secretary

Even sillier, said president putting her "in her place" by not "remembering" her name when he's angry at her.

• Love 1

Oh Cyrus, I'm going to enjoy seeing you get taken down by your infatuation with a pretty rent boy.

Mrs. Cooper was a riot! I wonder if Nancy Reagan was/is really that much of a firecracker. Funny that they seemed to be mixing a bit of Lady Bird Johnson in there too.

Ugh, I am so over Fitz just showing up at Olivia's place whenever he feels like it with his Secret Service agents in tow. Heaven forbid some world crisis should occur while he's trying to keep his sidepiece in line.

I am also so ready for someone to put two into Eli's head. Enough of the speechifying already. (But nice job working Fitz like the rusty tool he is.)

So....Cyrus is leaking. Bad prostitute boyfriend.

Yeah, the bad thing about getting your nose wide open is that it leaves room for all your good sense to fall right out.

• Love 2

I was so bored, I don't care about this dumb triangle or the fact Jake's in a cell somewhere. He did murder James and 2 other women, he did also just choke and threaten David last week. David should have laughed at Olivia asking him for help for Jake. Cyrus is now stupid and being played since James died, and I blame Jake for that. 

I don't care about Liv's dad. He needs a muzzle.

Abby did over step and should be fired.

I don't even know what the locker of Olivia pictures is about.

Mellie and the other First Lady was the only good parts. 

So Fitz thinks Olivia should hate Jake because he ruined the couple by murdering the First Son.  He would let the man he thinks killed his son stay alive as long as he has a chance to have sex with his mistress again....  I hate Fitz.  I cannot say it enough.

I enjoyed Mellie and Bitzy hanging out on the Truman balcony with shoes off and a martini in hand.

Abby did over step and should be fired.

I was thinking the same thing.  Fitz should have fired her on the spot, but Abby neutralized him once she played the Olivia is sad card - rolled eyes.

Rowan seems creepily focused on Olivia.  Its as if he wants her all to himself romantically.  When Shonda was writing the words for Olivia to say to her Dad at the pool, did she realize the viewer would infer that Olivia's special skills were of a sexual nature considering the way Rowan, Fitz, and Jake treat her?

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 5

I like Liv finally standing up to her pompus arse of a father.  I hope Rowen is taken down in a completely surprising and fitting manner and soon.  I also hope that Mellie gained some powerful insight and inspiration from Bitsy that she uses to manipulate her completely usless husband.  I would also love to see Liv get back some of her focus, moral compass, and power that I originally started watching this show for.  I hate the way that tptb have made her weak and small but that last scene between her and her father gave me hope.  Contrary to popular opinion I also like Abby and love what they are doing with Quinn. I am totally still in at least for now.

"There's hope"?  Come on Olivia.  The COTW was pretty good.  No one who was misunderstood, just someone who wanted to be remembered throughout history as an assassin.  I felt bad for Olivia afterwards.  She felt like she was going to have a "white hat" moment but all she did was give a megalomaniac some satisfaction.  It was funny to see David say "Eat it!" to Olivia though; she had that one coming.  Michael made the mistake of his life getting involved in the viper's nest that is the Grant administration.  I'm looking forward to see how Cyrus deals with the source of the leak.   Also, did Scandal just massively disrespect Ronald Reagan on TV?

I just noticed the only prominent black man on Scandal is a hateful, manipulating, sociopathic murderer.  Nice representation there.

I'm looking forward to see how Cyrus deals with the source of the leak.

I do too.  Cyrus does evil well.

I just noticed the only prominent black man on Scandal is a hateful, manipulating, sociopathic murderer.  Nice representation there.

Well, at least he isn't a moron.  He is intellectually superior to every one on the show and that is something.  I like the character of Rowan, but I would agree that those long speeches can be minimized to once every three episodes or so.  I like the scene of him manipulating hapless Fitz, but he did not need to describe it to Jake .....I got it when I watched it in real time. 

• Love 1

At this point, I hate liv as much as I hate Fitz. I think this will be my last Scandal season assuming I make it to the end of the season.

Four years ago I tuned in to see a show about a strong, black, female, power broker who could presumably be someone to respect and admire. Aside from being black and female, Olivia is none of these things. As for the rest of the characters. I'm not here for the Mellie Show. I have better things to do with my time than watch the chronicles of a privileged white woman. Scandal was my first foray into Shondaland and boy what a disappointment.

Agree-- a show about Olivia the brilliant fixer would have been a great show. 

• Love 7

"There's hope"?  Come on Olivia.  The COTW was pretty good.  No one who was misunderstood, just someone who wanted to be remembered throughout history as an assassin.  I felt bad for Olivia afterwards.  She felt like she was going to have a "white hat" moment but all she did was give a megalomaniac some satisfaction.  It was funny to see David say "Eat it!" to Olivia though; she had that one coming.  Michael made the mistake of his life getting involved in the viper's nest that is the Grant administration.  I'm looking forward to see how Cyrus deals with the source of the leak.   Also, did Scandal just massively disrespect Ronald Reagan on TV?

I just noticed the only prominent black man on Scandal is a hateful, manipulating, sociopathic murderer.  Nice representation there.

Yes, the show sort of dissed Ronnie, but then it lifted up Nancy by saying she was the real power behind the throne and accomplished great things. 

As to the only prominent black man on Scandal being a hateful, manipulating sociopathic murderer, basically every non-David character on the show is at least two of those characteristics, if not all four.

Rowan seems creepily focused on Olivia.  Its as if he wants her all to himself romantically.  When Shonda was writing the words for Olivia to say to her Dad at the pool, did she realize the viewer would infer that Olivia's special skills were of a sexual nature considering the way Rowan, Fitz, and Jake treat her?

I'm afraid the answer to that question is yes.  Ugh.

Am I really supposed to believe that Cyrus doesn't have a password on his phone? That guy just picked it up and checked his emails right?

Since he'd just gotten off it two seconds before, I'm going to guess it hadn't had time to lock itself (depending on how long Cyrus has the lockout set). I'm pretty sure that wasn't the new phone that Cyrus got for Michael (?) to call him on.

As for going forward, I have a feeling Cyrus is going to be planting all sorts of misinformation for Michael  to find to pass on to Liz.  This could be very entertaining.

Since he'd just gotten off it two seconds before, I'm going to guess it hadn't had time to lock itself (depending on how long Cyrus has the lockout set). I'm pretty sure that wasn't the new phone that Cyrus got for Michael (?) to call him on.

As for going forward, I have a feeling Cyrus is going to be planting all sorts of misinformation for Michael  to find to pass on to Liz.  This could be very entertaining.

I tend to lock my phone before I put it down, sort of assumed Cyrus would be the same. 

I agree with your second part though, I think he'll deliberately plant stuff. 

Also, did Scandal just massively disrespect Ronald Reagan on TV?

Yep! Which officially makes this my favorite episode of Scandal ever. LOL!

I've said for a while that one of the things Shonda must have negotiated as part of her deal with ABC was a more hands-off approach to censorship. She's been pushing the envelope hard on this and HTGAWM, not just on depictions of sex and more adult language but on politics and cultural issues too. I'm interested to see if, when and how this becomes a problem for network brass.

Cyrus deserved what he got. I'm sure that somewhere in the afterlife James is laughing hard. At least, he might be doing that when he isn't watching over the foster family who must've adopted Ella after Cyrus left her by the side of the road because otherwise I don't see how Cyrus is managing to go from working 15 hour days at the WH to spending his nights in a love nest with Mr. Towleroad.

So nice to see Mellie with a friend. Bootleg Nancy Reagan (BNR) had such a wonderful affect on her. There's no one in Mellie's life who supports her for herself so getting one episode of her drinking for enjoyment instead of anesthetizing herself and laughing at something because it's funny instead of because it's absurd was wonderful. I would say that I'd like to see BNR as a recurring character but I know what that would lead to so I'll just enjoy this for what it was. I'd give anything for a webisode of Mellie and her getting high though.

Fitz continues to be a failure. As a father, husband, man and president. He's to busy missing Liv's golden hoo-hah to red the red file Secret Service dropped on his freaking nightstand telling him about the death of a public figure? Way to go. When Fitz kept yelling "Is there hope?!!" I actually screamed at the TV, "Shut. The fuck. Up" and that was shortly after Rowan's speech which made me say out loud "Not this again." I realized in this episode Rowan is basically Scandal's version of Lewis Black.

I actually liked the COTW about the assassin. I didn't expect the twist of him really being guilty and just wanting fame. It's been a while since any twist on this show genuinely surprised me so I tip my hat.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 5

Brian Benben elevates everything he's in.  This was all insane, but he (and Bitsy, who was awesome) saved the episode for me.  It's not good when I'm watching a show for one-shot guest stars. I would watch a Mellie/Bitsy spinoff web series, absolutely.

I was hoping the President would be listening to Rowan's little speech. But that would be too easy. Man Fitz is so dumb. Really, really tired of this storyline. Fitz sucks.  He's not complicated.  He'll do anything for Olivia, even when he hates here.  Simple, stupid writing.

This show is getting increasingly cookie cutter.  The Rowan speeches were great the first 3 times and then increasingly repetitive now.  So are the Olivia speeches, by the way.  She says things the same way every time too.  Runs in the family, I guess.

"There's hope" was the worst line in a while. "That is why our judicial system isn't based on looking into people's eyes" was the best.

• Love 3

Completely shitting on his legacy seems really petty considering he's dead.

IMO it's no more petty than the way people shit on JFK's memory. And last night some subtle shots were being taken at Lyndon Johnson too. At least Shonda's equal opportunity with it.

Edited by Oblique Angle
  • Love 5

IMO it's no more petty than the way people shit on JFK's memory. And last night some subtle shots were being taken at Lyndon Johnson too. At least Shonda's equal opportunity with it.

Agreed. I also think this was less about Reagan (although I enjoyed the crapping on his "legacy") and more about the role of First Ladies compared to their supposedly "great" husbands. Bitsy's speech about how she will be remembered as the wife of a man who did something with his life was basically the thesis statement of that whole storyline. I found it an interesting counterpoint to Olivia calling out Fitz for calling Abby a bitch. I feel like Shonda is getting much more in your face with her feminism. Not that she's ever been subtle about it but now I feel like she's actively trolling the current surge of misogyny in this country and I feel like it's just a matter of time before it pops off in a crazy way.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 4

Actually, the show has only been on for 2-1/2 years.  It premiered in April of 2012.  I guess it must feel like 4, though.

And, Cyrus, Cyrus, Cyrus……his face is gonna be completely broken when he finds out that his gigolo is a plant paid by Portia's character.  What a shame that in his grief he threw all caution to the wind when this pretty boy showed up.  Ugh!  Come on, Cyrus.  You should KNOW better.  

All those in favor of petitioning Shonda to kill off Fitz?

Seriously if Olivia were HALF the woman she claims to be, she would have been horrified and disgusted by Fitz all but blackmailing her into saying "there's hope" for them in exchange for Jake's life.  Oh, and making his son's death all about him and Olivia.  And this asshole felt entitled to denounce Mellie for her twisted speech about Jerry last episode. 

Love Mellie bonding with the former first lady though.  And if her big plan is to usurp Fitz while he's preoccupied between Olivia's magical thighs, I say more power to her.

• Love 2

I would love it if Liv's "There's hope" was just a cynical ploy to manipulate Fitz into saving Jake. Her comment to Rowan makes it seem that way but I've spent four seasons watching Liv think with her undercarriage so I'm not hopeful. But how wonderful would it be if getting played by her client finally made Liv realize just how far she's fallen.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3

Who else is thinking Mama Pope is behind the surveillance photos of Liv? Maybe a brand new character, 'cause the show could use one. The love triangle among Fitz, Jake and Olivia's lady parts (great way to acknowledge that power...and to our Daddy!) needs a companion. Love Abby being a spy in the Oval now that she's got Cyrus by the short hairs, so to speak. An ally for Liv again, Abby's just getting cranked up. http://tvruckus.com/2014/10/31/scandal-an-innocent-man-recap-falcons-in-the-nest-again/

I hate Fitz and Rowen so much, please someone do something awful to them!

Olivia is just a shell of her former gladiator self. So sad.

Not sure how I feel about Jake. On one hand, he is a cold blooded killer. On the other hand, I hate Fitz and Rowan more, so I hope he lives long enough to kill them both. Loved Bitsy! Glad Mellie is back. I was really tired of the PJs and moping/

Quinn still is the only one that seems to be investigating anything.

Abby was less annoying in the episode, loved her telling off Fitz.

Cyrus is an idiot. Male prostitute guy better watch his back!

It was just a matter of time before Olivia would have inserted herself back into Fitz's life again. Jake just happens to be the excuse. As much as she claims to want to move on from Fitz, she seems to always end up back into his orbit. He's her weakness.

Poor Jake, he said it best. In the end she will always choose Fitz. She didn't even try to deny it.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 4
Guest Accused Dingo

I am not sure what it is about this season that seems off to me.   I actually enjoyed the first three seasons (yes I liked season 3)  Season 4 seams off.  Maybe because everyone is off their game.    

Cyrus:  I am hoping with the leak and the fact that Cyrus realizes that he is the leak that he will put the pieces together and figure out that Lizzie is out to get him and the President which put him back in fighting form because Cyrus needs to be in fighting form.  I like Cyrus as a a character.  He is fun and I miss that about him

Abby:  Abby needs to get over herself and pick a side.  Be full in at the White House or go back to OPA.  She will never be Olivia Pope but that doesn't mean she is useless which this episode proved.  Abby is good at what she does and what she does but she needs to pick a side.

Mellie:  Heh.  I loved her scenes today.  You could just see a lightbulb go on.  What would actually happen if she started to run her husband.  I mean really....or maybe even run after him.  Maybe pull a Hillary Clinton and run for some backwater Governor spot and make her way to President.  That would be something else.  I like Mellie and lately I have been thinking she is too good for Fitz.

Fitz/Olvia/Jake:  ZZzzzzzzzzzzz.  Fine I'll say something.  Stupid girl.  Why are you trusting daddy?  Or are you.  Is this all some plot to get Command.  Are you playing some mean game O chess.  Because if there really is hope for  Ftiz .zzzzzzzzzzzzz;   And I really don't care about Jake.  Hey is lesbianism and option?  

This is priceless (and I think true)

Listen: No woman should ever have to use her vagina for presidential pardons or state favors, not to keep her boyfriend from being murdered by the leader of the free world, or finally one-upping her dad, least of all, Olivia Pope. The only thing Olivia needs to do with her sex parts right now is a sage smudge because I’m pretty sure her box is haunted. You need to cast the evil spirits out and invoke some good intentions for it, already! Call Iyanla to pray over it! Ask Judge Judy to yell some sense into it! You could have it better, Liv, so much better

• Love 10

Well, at least he isn't a moron.  He is intellectually superior to every one on the show and that is something.

Is it? Considering everyone else on the show is a complete idiot, saying Rowan is smarter than everyone else is rather like saying Moe was the smartest of the Three Stooges. Come to think of it, you could drop Moe Howard into this show and he would automatically be on top in terms of intellect. And the other characters could benefit from Moe's problem solving skills. It would be worth it just to see Moe clunk Fitz and Jake's heads together. Poke Quinn in the eyes, run a saw over Huck's skull, etc.

• Love 5

Something Shonda DOES well, is reviving those classic soul tunes in her scenes. The opener had me mesmerized, with the Liv/Fitz/Jake switch-a-roo dream and the accompanying "Summer Breeze" playing.

But when Olivia woke up, I did too - to what a godawful show this has become.  BLECK.

I cackled with glee when Liv got her ass handed to her by the crazy client. 

Olivia's "There's hope" line? Ugh. Scandal is now officially a telenovela.

Gosh, I hate these people.

• Love 3

I really liked the reveal that Huck was playing the computer game with his son. It was the sweetest moment of the episode. I hope he manages to reunite with his son.

If Scandal is going to go on a severe feminist bent this season with topical episodes, could we at least get a few unapologetic episodes about race and income inequality? Have Olivia take on a "Michael Brown" case or something like it.

• Love 3

At this point, the show is just Gossip Girl in DC - with less interesting fashion.

I adore Joe Morton, but I need Rowan to be G-O-N-E. I need his enemies to band together and waste his pontificating ass.

I agree. Papa Pope can go get away with murder with Annalese and her crew. He could be her new lover. Either way, I want ALL things B613 G-O-N-E!!!

If Scandal is going to go on a severe feminist bent this season with topical episodes, could we at least get a few unapologetic episodes about race and income inequality? Have Olivia take on a "Michael Brown" case or something like it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that come up in the back half of the season.

• Love 1