Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: An Innocent Man

Tara Ariano

Agreed. I also think this was less about Reagan (although I enjoyed the crapping on his "legacy") and more about the role of First Ladies compared to their supposedly "great" husbands.

And if it was just about Mellie and Bitsy, I could see that. But Olivia's client was a virtual carbon copy of the assassination attempt on Reagan (right down to the fact that he was trying to impress a girl). Something about this felt...almost personal. All that was missing was the Law & Order warning: "The following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event" (which is always a signal that it's based heavily on a real life case). It made me wonder exactly what Ronald Reagan had done to Shonda or her writers.

• Love 2

It made me wonder exactly what Ronald Reagan had done to Shonda or her writers.

I could answer that but I suspect it would derail the discussion into one of politics and I don't want to do that. Suffice it to say that Shonda and I seem to be of the same mind when it comes to Ronald Reagan.

I do agree that the show has been heading more in the "ripped from the headlines" direction. I like it in small doses but I hopeful they won't overdo it. (What am I talking about? This show overdoes everything.)

• Love 6

It made me wonder exactly what Ronald Reagan had done to Shonda or her writers.

This isn't the place to have the discussion but just off the top of my head, Reagan's administration negatively affected an entire generation of children in economic ways, plus there was the deliberate failure to react proactively to the developing AIDS crisis. I'm sure others could offer additional reasons why not everyone worships his memory. As I mentioned upthread, Shonda takes shots at Democratic presidents/administrations too but I imagine that for younger viewers many of those allusions might not be easily recognized.

Papa Pope can go get away with murder with Annalese and her crew. He could be her new lover.

Heh, have you seen Nate? If Annalise just wants some guy who'll wear her out with speeches I guess Rowan would do but he cannot compete with Nate's body.

• Love 2

Oh Abby. I wish Olivia had been screaming because of nightmares too. Unfortunately I know that like everything else in Olivia's life, the screams were really from her sex dream about her two men. All the 'hell yeah' in her final interaction with her father was undercut for me by having been shown over and over that her asset was really only her apparently magic snatch.

I loved Mellie's reactions to Bitsy. When she just took over the East Wing, Mellie was loving it. Then at the end when Bitsy started talking about the joint in her purse, Mellie had a great 'oh lord, no one can hear us right' look on her face until the amusement took over. I hope Bitsy really did give Mellie the push she needed. Not only to get back to her old self, but to find her place in the White House. In the past, she's never seemed to have a true long goal. It was like she kept hoping that if she did something important, Fitz would join her and they would become the team she had envisioned. Instead, he's Fitz. I hope this gets her to let go of that 'team' hope and truly do her own thing.

I've seen reviews that thought giving Cooper ADD instead of Alzheimer's was just ridiculous but I don't think so. I think the comparison was about Fitz who is modeled after Reagan rather than directly Cooper=Reagan. Bitsy said Cooper had ADD and was just really not all that bright. Good or bad, Reagan was actually president when he was elected. I think the ADD was supposed to mirror Fitz's method of governing by his moods, dick, and favorite confidante of the day. Not being all that bright is obvious (since he was president, I'm guessing 'not that bright' means Cooper was a brilliant useless moron like Fitz). The other comparisons were very obviously on the nose. I would love it if Mellie took Bitsy's perspective and just pushed Olitz back together so that she could use their trysts as time to get done what she wanted. I'm sure Olivia would figure it out fast and pull Fitz's strings until he blocked her out again but it would be so much fun in the meantime.

Has Fitz ever been truly decent to a woman in his life? Certainly not his wife, mistress or daughter. Not his secretary or press secretary. As incredibly petty and juvenile as 'Gabby' was, I did love learning that someone had convinced Fitz that he couldn't fire whoever he wanted. I'm guessing Cyrus was the brains behind that.

I've been trying to pinpoint why I prefer Jake (to Fitz- not to the rest of the male population) and I think watching him with other female characters is it. Of the two, I think Jake is by far the better boyfriend (killing James sucked but let's be real- Olivia very obviously doesn't give a damn so does that really matter in the boyfriend debate?). Fitz is just so incredibly nasty. When he said that his son was murdered and his wife and daughter were devastated but really, Jake's biggest sin was destroying his chance with Olivia I couldn't even process anymore. What in the actual hell? How am I supposed to think he deserves anything other than everything awful? Then he all but stated that getting rid of Jake was always more about getting a chance with Olivia again than actually punishing his son's murderer. I wish I could really believe that Olivia just told him yes to get what she wanted but I know better. I think my longing is way more for Olivia to see how awful Fitz is than for her to choose Jake.

• Love 10

Something Shonda DOES well, is reviving those classic soul tunes in her scenes. The opener had me mesmerized, with the Liv/Fitz/Jake switch-a-roo dream and the accompanying "Summer Breeze" playing.

I'm not sure anyone would consider "Summer Breeze," originally done by Seals and Crofts, a "soul tune."

The entire assassin subplot was very reminiscent of the story in the Sondheim musical "Assassins." It's about actual (Booth, Oswald, etc.) and would-be (Hinckley, Fromme, etc.) presidential assassins. And the premise is that assassins are long remembered, and have the ability to rewrite history.

I'm not sure anyone would consider "Summer Breeze," originally done by Seals and Crofts, a "soul tune."

The entire assassin subplot was very reminiscent of the story in the Sondheim musical "Assassins." It's about actual (Booth, Oswald, etc.) and would-be (Hinckley, Fromme, etc.) presidential assassins. And the premise is that assassins are long remembered, and have the ability to rewrite history.

Bitsy deserves her own spin off.  Loved seeing the spark of mischief back in Mellie's eyes after being mentored by the former First Lady.  And I loved, loved seeing Abby use her skills to knock Cyrus on his arrogant ass.

Which we got a long and lingering look at as she swam over the camera.

And all I could think was, good lord, this woman had a baby a few months ago.  How'd she get back in shape so quickly?  Must be a whole lot of swimming.

• Love 2
I think the ADD was supposed to mirror Fitz's method of governing by his moods, dick, and favorite confidante of the day. Not being all that bright is obvious (since he was president, I'm guessing 'not that bright' means Cooper was a brilliant useless moron like Fitz). The other comparisons were very obviously on the nose. I would love it if Mellie took Bitsy's perspective and just pushed Olitz back together so that she could use their trysts as time to get done what she wanted. I'm sure Olivia would figure it out fast and pull Fitz's strings until he blocked her out again but it would be so much fun in the meantime.

I never thought of that. I don't want to belabor the point, so this will be the last I'll say about it, but I just wonder why everything else about Cooper, Bitsy and the attempted assassin had to be so "on the nose" about Reagan. My reaction isn't so much "How dare you besmirch Reagan's memory, Shonda and writers!" so much as "Wow, lack of imagination much, Shonda and writers?" Why couldn't the assassin have belonged to a religious cult? Or had a crush on a guy? Or been an evil twin? Anything other than "Let's rewrite Reagan's assassination attempt with this fictional guy" because it begged those parallels for everything. If it wasn't meant to prove some kind of "I hate Reagan and I'll tell you why" point, it showed a sad lack of creativity. Why crib so many aspects of Reagan's presidency when Shonda and her writers could've created another fictional president, First Lady and presidential assassin that were all completely unlike any past president, First Lady or presidential assassin?

But your point about how Mellie will push Olivia back toward Fitz to get stuff done for herself is a great one. I could see this happening, as well as Liv figuring it out. I do like that Mellie has her groove back and am excited to see what she does with it.

Edited by Eolivet

I would love it if Mellie took Bitsy's perspective and just pushed Olitz back together so that she could use their trysts as time to get done what she wanted.

Given the various plotlines in this show, 1) Apparently, the tv-USA doesn't need any governance, and 2) I'm not entirely sure that a nation actually exists out there, with the exception of Defiance, Ohio, and a small cabin inVermont.

• Love 2
As for going forward, I have a feeling Cyrus is going to be planting all sorts of misinformation for Michael  to find to pass on to Liz.  This could be very entertaining.

Maybe I misunderstood the scene.  I thought Abby only revealed that Cyrus wasn't hacked, and she knew about his relationship with Michael because Cyrus got Michael his own place and phone.  I didn't think Abby suggested that Michael was the one doing the leaking, only that Cyrus couldn't fire her for failing in her assignment (or for anything else) because she'd reveal what he had been up to in his free time.  And can I just say I find the Cyrus/Michael storyline ridiculous?  I don't care if Michael looks great in a towel, I don't believe Cyrus would throw away his entire career because a cute hooker was nice to him.  Though maybe Michael got his magic penis at the same place Olivia got her all powerful vagina. 

• Love 2

Come on Mellie... at least acquaint yourself with what is happening before forcing POTUS hand on policy. Why does Mellie always go off half-cocked?

Unfortunately, that's why shit blows back up in her face. Guess who has to come along and clean up the mess? Rowan was doing a lot of speechifying  in this episode, but when he told Jake that 'true power hides in plain sight', those should be words that Mellie take to heart.

So Fitz thinks Olivia should hate Jake because he ruined the couple by murdering the First Son.  He would let the man he thinks killed his son stay alive as long as he has a chance to have sex with his mistress again....  I hate Fitz.  I cannot say it enough.

I know! Such a pathetic man. This programme has really, truly, lost it's way. What a waste of talent, for all involved.

• Love 2

Getting an unwilling woman to put out by threatening to murder someone if she doesn't isn't romance. It's rape.

The inside of Shonda Rimes' head must be a scary, scary place. Bluntly, the only thing that could redeem this freak show is if it actually was intended as a metaphor for what powerful women/WOC face in this society. Too bad she took that off the table.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Getting an unwilling woman to put out by threatening to murder someone if she doesn't isn't romance. It's rape.

The inside of Shonda Rimes' head must be a scary, scary place. Bluntly, the only thing that could redeem this freak show is if it actually was intended as a metaphor for what powerful women/WOC face in this society. Too bad she took that off the table.

This is a major part of my problem with this show. Instead of it showing the life of a high stakes power broker who was a woman of color and the ways in which racism, sexism and all the other isms impacted her life, it has turned into the story of a black woman with no agency and little if any self-respect, the varying levels of creepy men in her life (when Jake came on as the man spying on Olivia, who would have guessed that he would be the best of the bunch), and the increasingly forward moving and forward thinking white women in the WoC's life. Thanks Shonda, I doubt a racist, sexist white man could have denigrated a black female character any better.

• Love 4
Come on Mellie... at least acquaint yourself with what is happening before forcing POTUS hand on policy. Why does Mellie always go off half-cocked?

Because she's a female character on a Shonda show.

(when Jake came on as the man spying on Olivia, who would have guessed that he would be the best of the bunch)

I know right? Sad to say even a cold-blooded assassin like Jake is more appealing than Fitz.

This is a major part of my problem with this show. Instead of it showing the life of a high stakes power broker who was a woman of color and the ways in which racism, sexism and all the other isms impacted her life, it has turned into the story of a black woman with no agency and little if any self-respect, the varying levels of creepy men in her life (when Jake came on as the man spying on Olivia, who would have guessed that he would be the best of the bunch), and the increasingly forward moving and forward thinking white women in the WoC's life. Thanks Shonda, I doubt a racist, sexist white man could have denigrated a black female character any better.

Cosign.

I think Cyrus is the only man on the show that gives Olivia the respect she deserves as a professional.  He is the only one that values her professional skills and loves her personally. 

Edited by ToukieSmith

What word describes a feeling much worse than pathetic???

Fitz is downright disgusting.

Someone said that basically part of the story line is a fight between Fitz and Jake over her heart, but it isn't. Although Jake is in love with Olivia, he can still do shit like investigate the deaths of Jerry, Harrison, and co and actually solve the case, despite seriously screwing up on bringing it to justice. At least he can set lines and let her know how far he's willing to go if she doesn't want to go all in. He's not forcing her to say and behave in ways that gives him what he wants. And this guy USED TO spy on her and killed people for a living.

Fitz's son was murdered and he is more concerned about if he has a chance with his mistress AFTER telling her that any chance they had together was ruined because of her relationship with Jake. He doesn't care for justice, he just wanted Jake killed for fucking her like Jake said, and I already believe. His son's life means nothing to him. Or his daughter's well being OR that Mellie is trying to get her shit together. He is ruled by his dick and I loathe him--to think, two seasons ago I used to defend him. He's not in love with Olivia, he's in lust and wants to control her. 

Fitz is the one fighting to Olivia's heart and Jake's like, "I'm interested in you, but I don't think we're going to be together in the end; let's have fun while it lasts." 

This guy is more concerned about making sure his mother is taken care of than trying to convince Olivia that he is innocent and how she must fight it because Fitz is FUCKING CRAZY. At this point, Huck is actually saner than him. And I hoped Olivia is done with him after that stunt and only said there was hope to save Jake's life. Olivia may be fucked  up, but he doesn't deserve her--he doesn't love her. When you love someone, truly love them, you don't put them in the position he put her.

• Love 3

I think a lot of the problems the characters face is due to the fact that Fitz shouldn't have become POTUS. He's a RINO which we've seen has caused problems with the Republicans and they've had to kill people and ruin careers to keep him in a job he shouldn't have. He doesn't seem enthusiastic about the job and would rather drop it all for Olivia, which is sweet but doesn't speak to me as the type of person who should be President. He doesn't want it badly enough and he wasn't competent enough to get the office by himself. No wonder he's a bad President.

• Love 1

I think a lot of the problems the characters face is due to the fact that Fitz shouldn't have become POTUS. He's a RINO which we've seen has caused problems with the Republicans and they've had to kill people and ruin careers to keep him in a job he shouldn't have. He doesn't seem enthusiastic about the job and would rather drop it all for Olivia, which is sweet but doesn't speak to me as the type of person who should be President. He doesn't want it badly enough and he wasn't competent enough to get the office by himself. No wonder he's a bad President.

I don't think he's a RINO. I think he's a moderate Republican in an era where that isn't the ascendant pholosophy in the Republican party. There are still some.

Hell, Obama is in some ways significantly to the right of where Nelson Rockefeller was.

• Love 2

If this was first-term Fitz, maybe. But that ship sailed when he killed the lady Justice back in season two when he did seem pissed for two whole days that the election was fixed.

Even so....all the other shit he's done borders on selfishness at best and literal insanity. Fitz is not in love with Olivia. I doubt he's even in love with the idea of her. Now she's just another way for him to "win" at something because he's been so pampered and petted and propped his whole life that it's a miracle he can wipe his own ass.

• Love 1

I don't think he's a RINO. I think he's a moderate Republican in an era where that isn't the ascendant pholosophy in the Republican party. There are still some.

I think he's a RINO. He's only written as a Republican because he's a disgusting person and a pathetic president. If you're writing the show and you're a Democrat, you wouldn't want to claim this guy even as a fictional member of your party.

• Love 1

But then, by the same logic, if you're writing the show and you're a powerful african american woman, would you want to claim Olivia?

Initially, yes. Seasons one and two were fantastic in that regard. Now, probably not but you could offer that Olivia is a counter to the strong black woman who doesn't have any emotions at all except for sassiness.

And besides, wherever you fall on the political spectrum, it's very obvious that Shonda Rhimes and her writers have a serious ax to grind with the Republican party.

Edited by lion10

I hate Fitz and am voting for Jake.

Why crib so many aspects of Reagan's presidency when Shonda and her writers could've created another fictional president, First Lady and presidential assassin that were all completely unlike any past president, First Lady or presidential assassin?

????  First off the attempted assassination of Reagan has been completely downplayed in history.  George Bush Sr.  knew the Hinkley family.  Why is it that Hinkley gets home visits? 

From my avatar photo you can see I am white.  I have friends who are black and we always talk about shows so I asked why we didn't discuss this show.......you could hear a pin drop.  I was told that to them Shonda is a traitor - straight up.  To portray a well educated black woman as a slut in a world (of Scandal) of white people is just too over the top for them.  So then we discussed the Amazing Race - yikes.

Oh Abby. I wish Olivia had been screaming because of nightmares too. Unfortunately I know that like everything else in Olivia's life, the screams were really from her sex dream about her two men. All the 'hell yeah' in her final interaction with her father was undercut for me by having been shown over and over that her asset was really only her apparently magic snatch.

So true and it made me giggle.

Great catch.  I missed that logic.

Oh, Fitz is totally a RINO, in this Washington reporter's view.

Found jumper sage's post interesting. one of my friends/colleagues also thinks Olivia is portrayed as a slut, but I don't agree. She's slept with, what, 4 guys? Three of whom she conducted relationships with. Your friends' reaction is part of those "conservative values" Republicans always say they share with African-Americans. Not my friends, though. And it's  not that we condone adultery, but, shit happens.

Looking forward to tonight, especially since there was no Nashville last night!

• Love 1

I just noticed the only prominent black man on Scandal is a hateful, manipulating, sociopathic murderer.  Nice representation there.

Black villains on TV and in movies are incredibly rare, so I'm actually glad that we have one on some show (even if my boyfriend is the rabid watcher of this show, not I).  I just wish Rowan wouldn't get away with so much.  Villains are better when they're losing every now and then, not winning all the time.

As for him being the only black man, we had another one last season, but poor Harrison had to get killed off for some reason.