Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Enough Nemesis To Go Around

Holmes returns to New York with a new apprentice and a renewed interest in working with the NYPD after being fired by London’s MI6. However, Captain Gregson won’t let him resume consulting for the department without permission from his former partner, Watson, the NYPD’s new go-to private investigator.

• Love 1

Does anyone else have trouble hearing the dialog on this show?  I have my volume dialed almost all the way up and still have a hard time.  The characters seem to whisper a lot.  Frustrating!

• Love 2

Six months? Sherlock didn't last long with MI6. I assume we'll hear the story of these "creative differences" later this season.

As for Kitty, it's not a long enough time for her to be competent. I suspect her surveillance skills will turn out to be a product of a life of juvenile crime, perhaps picking pockets. And I emphasize "juvenile". I do not like her. Elementary has been the realm of adults, and she's too young to sit at the grown-ups' table and too old to be one of Sherlock's Irregulars. If Kitty is heading anywhere, I hope it's off the show soon. I hope she not a pander to the 18-35 demographic, but she reeks of it.

I suppose the writers thought introducing conflict into Sherlock and Joan's relationship was a good thing going into the third season. IMO, I prefer them together solving cases. Bickering, okay. Estranged, not okay.

Best of all: Clyde! Props to Watson for sprucing up his digs, too.

• Love 6

I liked that while Joan has become a very able detective, there is still only one Sherlock Holmes. A bleeping electro-magnet in the elevator. A little overly complicated for a drug cartel.

You must not have had the pleasure of becoming obsessed with Breaking Bad. I guess I'll have to start suspecting magnets more often on crime shows.

I still love Joan's outfits and was even moved to shave my legs, though it's too cold here to dress like that.

I haven't resented a character as much as I do Kitty since Tess showed up in the middle of the first season of Roswell.

• Love 3

a life of juvenile crime, perhaps picking pockets

Yeah, I totally got that vibe too.  Like street/gutter pickpocket or something.  Such a contrast to Joan's calm and collected demeanor - perhaps on purpose but it doesn't work at all.  And when Kitty said she was wanting to go towards something, I got the definite feeling she meant Holmes.

I agree this has been grown ups, as well.  The ever fascinating Mororiaty (sp) was Joan's equal in grace, intelligence and looks.  The new addition is a detraction.

I'm good with the case of the week but really, wouldn't a magnet that powerful mess up the elevator system - or lock step at least two of them into moving at the same time?  I hope not, as I'd hate a dumbing down of the mysteries.

Wow!!! Gina Gershon certainly has still got it!  Amazing.

And Joan's outfits were the bomb, but the ankle boots and was that tennis shoes?  did her no favors. Her calves were really bulked up. Last season's were cuter and less minimalist to me.   No wonder she wanted out of the brownstone - she, like most normal people, likes sunlight and pets with their own homes.  LOL

Edited by Jlina

I'll be patient for now, but Kitty got on my nerves a lot, which I do think was on purpose on some levels, but I'm not sure if I was suppose to dislike her as much as I did.  I agree that I suspect her background is going to be something along the lines of being a juvenile criminal, that Sherlock is going to try and reform.  We'll see.  It took me a bit, but I finally place the actress: she was in Guardians of the Galaxy as The Collector's servant.

So, it seems like the set-up for this season is both Sherlock and Joan are going to be consultants for the NYPD by themselves, but more then likely cross paths a lot, ask each other for advice, and still solve some cases together.  We'll see if they can make it work, but it does seems like a risky idea.

Glad that Joan gave Clyde a nice little place to live, when Sherlock was away!  I just hope there won't be any kind of custody battle! Sherlock abandoned him; Joan should be able to continue to keep the poor guy.

Yeah, I'm sure something is going to come out of Sherlock's quick exit from MI6.

• Love 2

Ah, Elementary is back!  Didn't realize how much I'd missed the show -- life seems back to normal now.

In canon, Kitty Winter was the discarded mistress of the wicked Baron Gruner.  She did something pretty nasty to him in revenge. I have a feeling they didn't choose the name randomly.

Glad to see Watson is a big success, but I'm wondering if her new boyfriend is entirely trustworthy?

• Love 3

The only reason I don't hate Kitty is because of Joan' s mild reaction. And Sherlock was right about being a good mentor. I like how Joan just listened to him rather than getting huffy.

The boyfriend is cute! Please let him stay.

Is Kitty from Dr Who? She can stay then. Sherlock has a Dr Who energy sometimes.

What is up with JLM' s hair? Was it for a role?

• Love 2

I hated the whole "acting like jilted lovers" atmosphere. I don't want to see that.

Also, with the bullets in a fixed position, wasn't there just a huge portion of random luck that they actually hit the victims? Couldn't the passengers have stood anywhere in the car and either not been hit or been hit in a non-vital location and then been given medical attention that saved them 31 seconds later when they reached the lobby?

And with only two bullets, what if there had been three passengers? If they expected Joan to be in the car, did that mean they didn't expect there to be any guards with them? How did they know they'd hit the actual targets (Joan and the witness) and not the guards?

I just don't get how this was supposed to work.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

One of the worst Elementary episodes I've ever seen.  Probably the worst. 

So now Watson is the great genius detective.  The police would rather work with her than with Holmes. 

And Watson herself wants basically nothing to do with Holmes.  Even though he taught her everything she knows about her current profession.  Even though because of him, she was able to change her life fantastically for the better.  Even though he proved himself, time after time, as an unparalleled detective, solving one unsolvable case after another.  

When Elementary started lifting Watson to Holmes-like perception, I started losing interest.  Now the police department values her even more than it values Holmes.   

And to top it  all off (bottom it is probably a better term), Holmes is groveling for her acceptance. 

Blechhh!

• Love 11

Also, with the bullets in a fixed position, wasn't there just a huge portion of random luck that they actually hit the victims? Couldn't the passengers have stood anywhere in the car and either not been hit or been hit in a non-vital location and then been given medical attention that saved them 31 seconds later when they reached the lobby?

More seriously, this wouldn't work. Admittedly, a 20T magnet is a very powerful one, but elevators are made of steel, which is a magnetic material, and thus would act as a magnetic shield for all objects contained within.
  • Love 1

Yes to everything you said. And great points from all. All I can say is that it feels like every show I 'loved' is trying their damdest to irritate me.

This is where I compare old tv shows and new tv shows. Old shows had a habit of keeping things the same, going with a repetitive formula, maybe for too long. New shows have their characters grow and change, evolving while facing new challenges.

After tonight I'm rooting for 'old tv' again. Sure for some it could get boring, but there was also the model of 'if it ain't broke----DON'T FIX IT!!!

I also agree with not wanting that 'jilted lover vibe'.

One positive- Aiden Quinn still got the chops! Though his lines to Holmes sucked. Really? He was just a means to an end? I really thought last year's challenges were to get Holmes to use again, but maybe the destruction and pressure to rebuild personal ties is what could lead to his downfall. I hope not.

• Love 2

One of the worst Elementary episodes I've ever seen.  Probably the worst. 

So now Watson is the great genius detective.  The police would rather work with her than with Holmes. 

And Watson herself wants basically nothing to do with Holmes.  Even though he taught her everything she knows about her current profession.  Even though because of him, she was able to change her life fantastically for the better.  Even though he proved himself, time after time, as an unparalleled detective, solving one unsolvable case after another.  

When Elementary started lifting Watson to Holmes-like perception, I started losing interest.  Now the police department values her even more than it values Holmes.   

And to top it  all off (bottom it is probably a better term), Holmes is groveling for her acceptance. 

Blechhh!

The worst?  I dunno.  There have been some majorly shit episodes of this show.

This show just pulls stuff out of its ass in its need to senselessly reinvent Sherlock Holmes.  This episode was admittedly pretty ass-pully.  That said, at least the McGuffin they used was interesting.

• Love 2

As a poster said up thread, I think they made it pretty clear that though Watson may be good Holmes is still one of a kind and the best.  Also it is in character that the Capt. would "choose" Watson over Holmes.  The Capt. has told Holmes before that they we solving cases before Holmes arrived.  So, of course, he would want his help but not above all other things, like loyalty to and respect for Watson.

• Love 6

I'll be patient for now, but Kitty got on my nerves a lot, which I do think was on purpose on some levels, but I'm not sure if I was suppose to dislike her as much as I did.  I agree that I suspect her background is going to be something along the lines of being a juvenile criminal, that Sherlock is going to try and reform. 

I don't know that he'll try to reform Kitty so much as redirect her.  Sherlock has said on multiple occasions that he's as adept as committing crimes as he is at solving thing.  As for Kitty's presence coming between Holmesa nd Watson, Imnot'  that worried about it.  There's a strong sense of Jason Todd around Kitty.  I don't think she's long for the show.

I suspect her background is going to be something along the lines of being a juvenile criminal, that Sherlock is going to try and reform

So now Sherlock will be Fagin?  We need the Artful Dodger if they are going to do a litery mashup.

Glad that Joan gave Clyde a nice little place to live, when Sherlock was away!  I just hope there won't be any kind of custody battle!

I was happy to see Clyde too.  I'm hoping there will be a custody battle or at least visitation.  I don't think Clyde will notice, but I would enjoy seeing a bit of ludicrous pissy Sherlock.

Joan was thisclose to whipping out some Ling Woo - I totally want to see her do it.

• Love 2

I've never cared for this pretend Holmes show much but this was simply awful.  Everyone talks in such a monotone voice, I nearly fell asleep and not only from the convoluted explanation for the "shooting" in the elevator.  Why is JLM standing the way he is?  He seems uncomfortable in his body for some reason - maybe he injured himself?  

As an aside, I always find it (as a New Yorker) thoroughly annoying when I see people like Joan living in an apartment that would cost about $4000 per month - she works for the police, for the most part and she can afford that place?  Even if she has private clients, she has only been on her own for 8 months - so, it would be surprising if she's earning that sort of income - Silly, I know but always annoying.

Really don't like whatever they are setting up but then I don't see any chemistry between the two main characters (as business partners, friends) at all - Oh well, I tried - again; I'm out - again.  

As a lifelong lover of the Holmes stories and characters, it bugs me no end they cooked up these characters and shoved them into this show as Sherlock and John just because the Sherlock folks (Moffat & Co) wouldn't give them the rights to re-create "Sherlock" here in the states.  They should have just given these characters different character names since none of it relates to the stories (beyond the most superficial references) - Oh well, again.

• Love 1

I'm glad this show's back, but this episode was a whole lot of meh for me. My favorite part was seeing Clyde's new digs. When an animal that does nothing more than crawl around & eat lettuce on camera is the high point of a show I would say something didn't work.

I don't like the tense, slightly pissy separation of Holmes & Watson. It feels off & like they're playing roles. In an odd way it made me much more aware of the acting in the show. I like the give & take they had previously.

The Kitty character doesn't interest me. I'm sure I'm supposed to be curious about her background & her motives but I'm simply not. She didn't really aggravate me so much as bore me.

As for the case, even though I don't mind doing massive amounts of hand waving with this show, I still struggled with this one. Massive magnet, spent bullets in the elevator wall, a hope & a prayer on positioning. Yeah, sure, whatever. Don't try to explain it. It makes it worse. Where's Clyde?

• Love 2

I thought there were four bullets used in the elevator -- at least, that was what was shown in Sherlock's little Diorama of Death. That makes it slightly more plausible that one or two would hit the intended targets. Still not a sure thing . . .

Maybe I missed the last episode of last season, but I found myself puzzled as to why all the characters now seem to detest Sherlock. Sure, he's a jerk, but he's always been a jerk. OK, he left without saying good-bye . . . not nice, but not so surprising. I get Joan being pissed at him about that, but this seemed more than that -- like she stopped caring about him completely. And I don't get Gregson's reaction at all -- why so cold? Sherlock was a consultant, not a regular employee, so why is his leaving such a big deal to the Captain? Again, a bit of anger I would understand, but this cutting off all emotional attachment to him seemed extreme. Unless Sherlock spent the last season finale kicking people's puppies, the emotional notes of the episode felt a bit off.

• Love 5
Glad that Joan gave Clyde a nice little place to live, when Sherlock was away!  I just hope there won't be any kind of custody battle! Sherlock abandoned him; Joan should be able to continue to keep the poor guy.

I love how Joan always ends up taking care of whatever random pets Sherlock brings in, despite all of her initial protestations. Like with Romulus and Remus.

Then again… what happened to the bees?

And Watson herself wants basically nothing to do with Holmes.

Holmes acted like a royal ass in going AWOL the way he did. Of course Watson was pissed with him.

I’m not really a fan of Holmes and Watson being estranged like this because part of the reason I loved this show was the relationship between these two. Bickering is fine, all-out estrangement is not-so fine. However, from an in-universe perspective, I thought Watson had a lot of reason to be as mad as she was.

Also it is in character that the Capt. would "choose" Watson over Holmes.  The Capt. has told Holmes before that they we solving cases before Holmes arrived.  So, of course, he would want his help but not above all other things, like loyalty to and respect for Watson.

Pretty much. Gregson respects Holmes, but he doesn’t worship him. He’s not going to throw other people away just for Holmes when Holmes was the one who ran off.

I've never cared for this pretend Holmes show much

Sherlock/Watson have been portrayed as mice, robots, and vegetables. Was the BBC!Sherlock fandom as outraged by those pretenders as well?

BBC!Sherlock is not the One True Sherlock. So maybe CBS got the idea for their modern adaptation from the BBC (even though the idea of a modern Sherlock is not unique to Moffatt). Who cares? You don't see Starz getting pissy with NBC for Crossbones. A lot of shows have twin counterparts. Sadly, I was hoping that all the unwarranted fuss had died after season 1, but I guess that's not to be. 

ETA: Not really sure how I feel about Kitty. Don’t mind her on her own, but I’m really not up for any territorial tension that she and Watson will have over Sherlock.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 13

An unexpectedly terrific episode. I wasn't even sure if I was going to watch it until I saw an "A" grade on an AVClub review of it (I don't always care about critical opinion, but this site gets Elementary pretty well), but I'm glad I did. It feels like the writers learnt from their mistakes last year.

One of the problems of s2 (if not the biggest) was the lack of Joan's POV, and we got it in spades. We got into her skin and understood what she was feeling very well. It was great and helped me to connect to everything I saw on screen. The best thing about the episode was her scenes with Sherlock, that were written and acted superbly. I mean, the look on Joan's face during their first meeting at the brownstone was the epitome of hurt, and the chemistry - both then and during their last scene there - was palpable. I mean, I generally love their platonic chemistry, but I was tempted to ship them, that's how good it was.

Kitty. I can't say I love her, but she's a fresh element and there's obviously some mystery connected to her that's bound to come to light eventually. I do, however, feel like there's a pretty big chance of her being put in distress, if not killed outright, to get Joan and Sherlock closer, because I can't see this status quo continuing for too long - the abyss between them is way too deep.

I think I've see Joan's boyfriend recently on Homeland as a probable bad guy, so it automatically made me think he'll be a villain or something, but in retrospect, I doubt that. However, there was something fishy in their meet cute... Maybe I'm just too paranoid.

All in all, a great episode, and kudos to Miller and Liu for selling their stuff 110%.

• Love 2

I was also suspicious of how she met the boyfriend.  When she turned away from him he put his hand behind him, I thought he was going to pull out a gun.  He's not long for this show.

• Love 5

Again, a bit of anger I would understand, but this cutting off all emotional attachment to him seemed extreme. Unless Sherlock spent the last season finale kicking people's puppies, the emotional notes of the episode felt a bit off.

I hated this episode.  I thought Joan acted like a petulant brat the entire episode.  "My" case, "my" crime scene.  After two months with the full support of the NYPD she never got on to John Mason and yet she doesn't need Sherlock?  I liked their partnership because Joan brought a certain common sense to her observations and added a sense of reality to what they were doing.  That's a valuable contribution but she never would have come up with the magnet connection on her own.  Joan knows Sherlock better than anyone.  She knew her moving out would throw Sherlock into turmoil.  His running off can't have been a huge surprise reaction.  I can see her being ticked off, but the disdain and contempt were way over the top.

• Love 8

What is up with JLM' s hair? Was it for a role?

I love JLM and find him to be VERY attractive, but I was getting a serious Slingblade vibe off of his look tonight, especially when he was sitting on the bench outside Gregson's office. He has always buttoned his top shirt button, so it shouldn't be that. I don't know what it was but his whole demeanor was different.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4

I think I've see Joan's boyfriend recently on Homeland as a probable bad guy, so it automatically made me think he'll be a villain or something, but in retrospect, I doubt that.

Thank you. You just saved me from a week of "and I know him from where ?!?!?!" brain drain. I'm not convinced of his innocence however, the cute-meet sent up some red flags for me. If someone were being sent into Joan's building/life to infiltrate, it would be under the guise of needing help or finding someone.

I thought there were four bullets used in the elevator -- at least, that was what was shown in Sherlock's little Diorama of Death. That makes it slightly more plausible that one or two would hit the intended targets. Still not a sure thing . . .

Maybe I missed the last episode of last season, but I found myself puzzled as to why all the characters now seem to detest Sherlock.

Another problem with the assassination is that it was said that the bullets were positioned to hit her/them somewhere between the head and the chest, but that is about the most narrow area of the human body to aim at, it really didn't make a lot of sense. Having several bullets all aimed at the approximate height of her head makes far more sense, or all at chest level, especially if you're going to use only 4 bullets. Otherwise, why would reduce your chances further by aiming at neck level essentially?

Something was very off about everyone's reaction, and I don't care for whatever it was. The major problem for me is that, in order for their reactions and judgment to be believable, Sherlock would have to be someone who had an intent to cause them suffering or upset -- and that is not the impression last season led me to, nor is it true of the character really. I was, and am, concerned about how Sherlock's leaving affected his sponsee and sponsor. Now that should have been where attention was paid to broken relationships or a failure to meet expectations, not a group of adults who've all taken turns scapegoating Sherlock at some point or another.

I'm hopeful that these paint-by-the-number character depictions have more to do with CBS attempting to re-pilot the third season and that it will return to its roots.

• Love 4

I hated it. I completely  hated it. And it isn't a bad episode, quite the contrary.  But why would I want to see Sherlock Holmes, who's always been one of my favourite characters, groveling after Watson? Asking Watson for permission to work with the police? WTF is this?

And yes, good friends say goodbye in person. Do you know  something else good friends do? They don't bang your brother if you have a bad relationship with him. 

If they want to make Watson fantastic and awesome, of course, by all means. But if they can't do that without turning Holmes into some submissive lap dog who needs to be taught some manners, I'm out. 

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 10

I thought the method of the killing was kind of stupid, a 2000 pound magnet being stuck on the outside of an elevator is too over the top. Not sure how I feel about Kitty yet, Sherlock Holmes & Watson is one thing, Sherlock Holmes & Kitty, not so much.

Wow. Okay, then.  

First, I never said BBC's Sherlock is the only one - but, the reason for getting a "modern" Sherlock as CBS has coughed up with a female Watson (taking what I consider one of the coolest male friendships in literature and altering it drastically to this version), set it in NYC, made her surgeon who lost a patient/sober companion vs what Watson was in the stories (a soldier home from war, traumatized, addicted to the thrill of the chase) - was all done because they were denied rights to replicate Sherlock here and to go forward with some modern version of Holmes, they needed to change it up - so they twisted it into what they produced: Elementary.  

I happen to think it all changed the heart of the stories and characters.  

My opinion only, of course and I don't see any other people here agreeing with me so I don't think the matter is much of anything except maybe to me and some others - who don't post here.  And, I am entitled to express my opinion….whether other agree with me or not.

I also agree about not enjoying seeing this Holmes - groveling to Watson - it's out of character and, again, to me alters him more than necessary but then all his psychobabble he's been doing off and on during the episodes I've seen is also bizarre for a Holmes representation.  His mini-analysis of his behavior last night in explaining his actions to Joan - sigh - that's the usual bla bla bla we get from television.  Personally, I like it when a show bucks the formula but not holding my breath for that on a network program.

Edited to correct error of referring to Joan as a psychiatrist - 

Edited by roomtorome
  • Love 2

First, I never said BBC's Sherlock is the only one - but, the reason for getting a "modern" Sherlock as CBS has coughed up with a female Watson (taking what I consider one of the coolest male friendships in literature and altering it drastically to this version), set it in NYC, made her a psychiatrist vs what Watson was in the stories (a soldier home from war, traumatized, addicted to the thrill of the chase) - was all done because they were denied rights to replicate Sherlock here and to go forward with some modern version of Holmes, they needed to change it up - so they twisted it into what they produced: Elementary.  

Joan is a psychiatrist?

However, isn't it canon that Sherlock just disappeared off the face of the earth for a while, and everyone around him was totally pissed when he came back?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. In the original stories, Holmes apparently dies and is gone for an extended period of time. Then he comes back and, somewhat insensitively, surprises Watson by appearing to him in disguise and then dramatically shedding his disguise. Interestingly, if this is what this week's episode is meant to reference, I think both the BBC and Elementary botched it. In the original story, Holmes pulls his surprise appearance, Watson nearly faints, and Holmes immediately feels bad and apologises for his lack of consideration, and Watson harbors no ill will toward him. On Sherlock, Sherlock surprises Watson, but when Watson is upset, Sherlock mocks him for overreacting, and really shows no remorse throughout that episode. On Elementary, Sherlock's transgression is arguably less (they didn't think he was dead, just in England), he shows up unannounced, though not in a prank-like way, and while he is apologetic, Watson isn't having any of it. In Joan's defense, the whole I-realized-that-I'm-an-awesome-mentor-and-that-you-can-be-replaced thing was pretty obnoxious.

• Love 1

In the stories, Sherlock and Moriarty go over the falls to their deaths BUT Arthur Conan Doyle was pressured to bring Sherlock back and so, 9 years later, he wrote it as though Sherlock has been gone unraveling Moriarty's criminal network for just two years (like they did in BBC's Sherlock).  

In the story, Watson pretty much just faints when Sherlock reveals himself as alive; in Sherlock, they decided to have John have a more dramatic reaction to the deception and John tried to throttle him, he got in a punch but got over it pretty quick.

Does anyone else have trouble hearing the dialog on this show?  I have my volume dialed almost all the way up and still have a hard time.  The characters seem to whisper a lot.  Frustrating!

I noticed this last season.  Holmes speaks in a very low voice, and Watson isn't much better.  I always have to turn the volume way up.

I liked that while Joan has become a very able detective, there is still only one Sherlock Holmes. A bleeping electro-magnet in the elevator. A little overly complicated for a drug cartel.

Not too overly complicated for the hit man they hired. Holmes said it was almost a perfect crime.  

• Love 1

Sherlock/Watson have been portrayed as mice, robots, and vegetables. Was the BBC!Sherlock fandom as outraged by those pretenders as well?

Oh certainly.  But it could still be argued that despite being mice, robots and vegetables, those versions try to adapt rather than reinvent.

Oh certainly.  But it could still be argued that despite being mice, robots and vegetables, those versions try to adapt rather than reinvent.

I just feel like getting mad over these adaptations is like getting pissed over all the crazy things people are doing with Shakespeare. Sherlock Holmes is THE trope codifier, if not the trope maker, of the detective procedural, and Shakespeare is motherfuckin' Shakespeare, man. I guess purists are gonna be purists, but it’s such a futile endeavor when we’re talking about something as influential and widespread as Holmes/Shakespeare/etc. Whenever the subject comes up, it’s like I hear Adele Dazeem far off in the distance.

ETA: I get not caring for a specific change. Like setting Elementary in NYC? So many procedurals are already set in NYC, it feels like such a boring/conventional choice. I live in NYC and I’m sick of seeing so many shows set here haha. But that’s different from thinking that the show’s NYC setting is an insult to the Holmes universe. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 6

I tried watching this show for the first time and quit after 25 or so minutes.  If it picks up I may try again.  The bitterness between Holmes and Watson was really turning me off; I was expecting some kind of relationship or partnership even if he was coming back from leaving everyone, there was no positive feeling at all.  Is there normally some humor in this show?  The commercials made it look that way but I saw almost none (except for "you can take the helmet off").

I had a suspicious vibe over Watson's new friend also.

• Love 1