Type keyword(s) to search

Below Deck in the Media

bref
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, KLJ said:

I found it interesting that both Kate and Lee aren't well respected in the industry.  More so Lee than Kate.

But I still find Caroline very bitter after all this time, so she didn't come across all that different, ie., 'healed' or 'more mature' to me in the reddit.

She sounded a ton better to me, but I get what you are saying.  

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, KLJ said:

I found it interesting that both Kate and Lee aren't well respected in the industry.  More so Lee than Kate.

But I still find Caroline very bitter after all this time, so she didn't come across all that different, ie., 'healed' or 'more mature' to me in the reddit.

And dramatic. I didn't read the link to the info about Kate and Lee, but got the impression from the other stuff she said that real yachties don't appreciate BD in general. Lee probably had a strong reputation during his younger years. He's probably doing this for fun and extra money.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2020 at 3:16 PM, politichick said:

And dramatic. I didn't read the link to the info about Kate and Lee, but got the impression from the other stuff she said that real yachties don't appreciate BD in general. Lee probably had a strong reputation during his younger years. He's probably doing this for fun and extra money.

The poster said Lee was the captain of smaller boats and was known is known as Captain Crunch because he can't dock.

He's playing a role for tv - as most of them are.  If I'm not mistaken, Kate, Hannah, Lee or Sandy work boats regularly when not filming. I think Sandy might be the only one actively practicing - although Bugsy and Malia I believe are still active.

Edited by Jextella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I think Sandy might be the only one actively practicing - although Bugsy and Malia I believe are still active.

Sandy hasn’t worked regularly on a boat since 2011 so several years pre-BDM. Lee still works, hence his clap back at Ashton at the last reunion.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Sandy hasn’t worked regularly on a boat since 2011 so several years pre-BDM. Lee still works, hence his clap back at Ashton at the last reunion.

I think it came out of the exchange with Ashton that he only worked a boat a few times. It was clear it was not a regular gig.  What did Sandy due in between? 

This is so irritating.  If Sandy doesn't work boats full time when not filming, why was it such a big deal that Hannah do it?

Sandy's Linkedin

https://www.linkedin.com/in/captain-sandy-yawn-41b68110/

Lee's Linkedin

https://www.linkedin.com/in/capt-lee-rosbach-25286912/

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I think it came out of the exchange with Ashton that he only worked a boat a few times. It was clear it was not a regular gig.  What did Sandy due in between? 

Lee simply said he last worked the last Alaska season which shut Ashton right up because he clearly had the wrong info.  I have no idea what Sandy was up to other than some random MLM crap, she didn’t update her bio until the BDM gig and now considers herself a motivational speaker. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Lee simply said he last worked the last Alaska season which shut Ashton right up because he clearly had the wrong info.  I have no idea what Sandy was up to other than some random MLM crap, she didn’t update her bio until the BDM gig and now considers herself a motivational speaker. 

Yeah, Sandy motivates me to stop watching any season she's on!

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

There a short video on Youtube showing Captain Lee throwing a hissy fit. It's a spoiler so I won't link it.

I just watched it. I wonder if these were the guests that had the over the top food requests that pissed Rachael off. 

So my DVR recorded an episode with no title at 7pm ET on Jan 1,  It wasn't a re-airing of the previous episode with additional content, it was called Galley Talk and former crew were filmed in their homes providing commentary.  

Kate (BD2-7) & Connie (BD3

Julia (BDM1) & Josiah (BD6)

Kelley (BD2&4) & Amy (BD2-3)

Colin (BDM3-4) & Bobby (BDM1-2)

Reminded me of People's Couch.  Looks like there will be future episodes as they showed previews from upcoming shows that also included Anastasia (BDM4) & Alex (BDM5).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah I watched a bit of it but it seems Bravo is doing it for other shows, to have this joint rewatch thing.

They did it for Southern Charm too, with some cast members rewatching with VPR cast.

I deleted it.

I don't like those Behind the Scenes episodes of the last week's episode either.

Bravo shows are disposable.  You watch once, maybe snark about them online, then forget them.  They're not deep enough for behind the scenes details.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, aghst said:

They did it for Southern Charm too, with some cast members rewatching with VPR cast.

I was thankful for that because my DVR picked it up and reminded me to cancel my season pass for Southern Charm before the season started! So good for me, not sure it’s what Bravo intended!

• LOL 1

18 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah I watched a bit of it but it seems Bravo is doing it for other shows, to have this joint rewatch thing.

I deleted it.

I don't like those Behind the Scenes episodes of the last week's episode either.

Bravo shows are disposable.  You watch once, maybe snark about them online, then forget them.  They're not deep enough for behind the scenes details.

I typically don't enjoy the Behind the Scenes repeats or rewatch shows either.  However, this Galley Talk was more like The People's Couch, focusing on the watchers, than it was the actual episode.  Most of the time, the episode was displayed in the little corner box while they flipped between the four groups of watchers for their commentary.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Teri313 said:

These charters are really expensive.

Yeah! 

FROM

$294,000p/week + expenses

I guess those expenses include the copious amounts of booze they spill all over the place! I imagine their usual clientele is a bit better behaved. I'm comparing this to the really really nice multi-family homes oceanside at the shore that I've "looked at" and this is about 10x as much LOL.

I bet these slummers get a nice discount on the per week expenses (and they mostly stay 2 days!)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I found it interesting. These charters are really expensive. Also didn't realize that there are actually six guest cabins on My Seanna.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-22532/my-seanna.htm

Thanks!  The link is really interesting especially the breakdown of what the "charterer" can be expected to pay.

I thought some of the cabins on any of the BD franchise boats were reserved for the production crew.  They need somewhere to stash all those rolls of film!

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Thanks!  The link is really interesting especially the breakdown of what the "charterer" can be expected to pay.

I thought some of the cabins on any of the BD franchise boats were reserved for the production crew.  They need somewhere to stash all those rolls of film!

Yes, that was my understanding from some article or other--also, I've never seen the sauna before (I guess it's too hard to film in, hence off limits to guests?), and that small extending rusty-looking platform the kids are jumping off of!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I have read that the film crew has their own small boat and comes aboard during certain hours. Most of the film crew are housed ashore.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 5:04 PM, azprimadonna said:

I have read that the film crew has their own small boat and comes aboard during certain hours. Most of the film crew are housed ashore.

It’s both. There is a small follow boat for shots and other camera crew but they also take over the other master for a production room. 

This NY Times  article discusses some of the production stuff and behind the scenes of the show.

The guests on this show get a steep discount on the rates listed on the charter website and are a lot shorter.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Emmy Nominated! Two nominations for best unstructured reality show and editing for unstructured reality show.

"Unstructured" reality?

Are they kidding?

All reality shows have writing credits don't they?  So are there Emmies for writers on reality shows?

What would be an example of a "structured" reality show?

I doubt any reality show producer will just let the cast do whatever and cross their fingers that something interesting will happen.  It costs money to film, to have the production crew working.

They have to try to steer the cast towards certain things or else they risk getting a lot of footage which doesn't produce "good TV."

We know reality shows, especially Bravo shows, have certain common elements, like verbal fights or fights that almost get physical, and they often involve romantic rivalries and such.

That might have been the approach 30 years ago, let people interact and come what may, hope they get some interesting footage.

Seems unlikely they will leave things to chance any more.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, aghst said:

What would be an example of a "structured" reality show?

Queer Eye, Antique Roadshow, Shark Tank, etc. they have a structured format for each episode that remains consistent. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Queer Eye, Antique Roadshow, Shark Tank, etc. they have a structured format for each episode that remains consistent

Would Project Runway and Top Chef fit the structured category as well? And things like RH*** are unstructured?

• Love 1
(edited)
Just now, dleighg said:

Would Project Runway and Top Chef fit the structured category as well? And things like RH*** are unstructured?

They are a third category of competitive reality.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Interview with Chef Eat My Cooter Rachel.

https://slate.com/podcasts/the-waves/2021/10/below-decks-chef-rachel-hargrove

She will be on the new season.

She says her infamous rant was in reaction to the preference sheet and production.

you can read between the lines but the preference sheets are put together by production.  They probably contain some of the things the guests want.  But they also contain things production wants.

She says she got dragged on social media for the rant.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Not really big news but according to https://starcasm.net/ Fraser was on a reality tv show back in 2016 with his bf.  I think he was just a friend of and not really a main character.  I can't get the exact link to work but if you just go to the starcasm website and type his name in the search at the type the article will pull up

Be sure you read the quoted recaps at the bottom of the article about Fraser.  They are HILARIOUS and it sounds like he was just as much a b!tch on that show as he is here 😄

Edited by Dirtybubble
forgot something
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, snarts said:

Eddie's comments on the Heather/Rayna situation. 

Interesting that he blames production. Might be the last we see of Eddie...

https://www.realitytea.com/2021/12/29/eddie-wanted-heather-fired-below-deck/

I'm shocked!😏

Production sweeping it under the rug, probably because they couldn't replace Heather right away.

And she was suppose to be their next blond star?

Unless Heather was dumb enough to put it in writing or in a social media post, they can suppress it.

They forced that deck worker a couple of seasons ago on BD or BDM when his old social media posts surfaced.  But he was just a body, not the next star they were trying to promote.

Though even aside from the racial slur, her personality is so repulsive and fake.  She can't shake her ass in a bikini enough to overcome the personality.

Or all the crotch and belly shots of her in a bikini that they featured in this episode.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 3
On 1/4/2022 at 1:02 PM, snarts said:

Eddie's comments on the Heather/Rayna situation. 

Interesting that he blames production. Might be the last we see of Eddie...

https://www.realitytea.com/2021/12/29/eddie-wanted-heather-fired-below-deck/

You called it!:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10810659/Eddie-Lucas-says-not-invited-season-10-says-Deck-stars-arent-paid-well.html

Eddie Lucas of Below Deck fame is dishing on the series after revealing he will not be returning for the show's 10th season. 

The reality TV star, 37, discussed his unceremonious exit from the series in an interview with the New York Post

'I was not invited back to do another season,' he said. 'I actually didn’t even get a phone call from them saying they hired someone else — which kind of goes to show what the production entails. Everyone on Below Deck is expendable.' 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3

So they probably had plans to keep Heather around and they can't have Eddie calling her out for using racist slurs.

What a show.

Probably the captains get paid enough and maybe some cast members who are popular enough to keep coming back.

He did say they get paid more than regular yachting but not enough considering BD shows are the most popular on Bravo.

That means on top of the probably concocted tips on the shows.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

You called it!:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10810659/Eddie-Lucas-says-not-invited-season-10-says-Deck-stars-arent-paid-well.html

Eddie Lucas of Below Deck fame is dishing on the series after revealing he will not be returning for the show's 10th season. 

The reality TV star, 37, discussed his unceremonious exit from the series in an interview with the New York Post

'I was not invited back to do another season,' he said. 'I actually didn’t even get a phone call from them saying they hired someone else — which kind of goes to show what the production entails. Everyone on Below Deck is expendable.' 

Haha. 

burn-bridge.jpg

• LOL 2
On 5/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, NowVoyager said:

"I was not invited back to do another season,' he said. 'I actually didn’t even get a phone call from them saying they hired someone else — which kind of goes to show what the production entails. Everyone on Below Deck is expendable.' 

How long has Eddie been on this show and he's just now realizing he's "expendable"? Is he really that stupid? 

On another note: I didn't know where else to post this so it's to be here! Anyone else heard any info about the new series "Below Deck Adventures"? Supposedly premiering this fall.  It's about ultra rich people who want to do a You Only Live Once experience. First episode is the fjords of Norway. Seems interesting.

• Useful 4
12 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

How long has Eddie been on this show and he's just now realizing he's "expendable"? Is he really that stupid? 

On another note: I didn't know where else to post this so it's to be here! Anyone else heard any info about the new series "Below Deck Adventures"? Supposedly premiering this fall.  It's about ultra rich people who want to do a You Only Live Once experience. First episode is the fjords of Norway. Seems interesting.

People get an idea that they are too good or useful to be expendable, happens in all walks of life but is very prevalent in most working environments, I learnt a long time ago that everyone is expendable no matter how good you are at a job & have always tried to pass this knowledge along to younger people who seemed to give their lives to their job. If the pandemic has taught us anything going forward it's that nobody is so vital as to be bullet proof.

Sounds interesting as long as they keep the emphasis on the experience & not the chaos. Hint, they won't.

• Like 2

Eddie was kind of a big star for Below Deck, right up there with Captain Lee and Kate in terms of being a "regular." I suspect Bravo wants to cut ties with anyone that had anything to do with the whole Rayna incident. There might have been some blowback on Eddie for not "doing more" about it when she first told him what Heather said. Of course, that should also apply to Captain Lee.

Bravo had a special on Monday, it was a clip show called "Captain Lee's most outrageous moments." There was lots of footage of Ashton but no mention of the drama that went on between him and Kate. They really ignored the scandals. Unsurprisingly.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, iMonrey said:

Eddie was kind of a big star for Below Deck, right up there with Captain Lee and Kate in terms of being a "regular." I suspect Bravo wants to cut ties with anyone that had anything to do with the whole Rayna incident. There might have been some blowback on Eddie for not "doing more" about it when she first told him what Heather said. Of course, that should also apply to Captain Lee.

Bravo had a special on Monday, it was a clip show called "Captain Lee's most outrageous moments." There was lots of footage of Ashton but no mention of the drama that went on between him and Kate. They really ignored the scandals. Unsurprisingly.

I’m watching the 100th episode special. Right out of the gate, Andy asked Kate why she didn’t tell Lee about Ashton’s behavior in the van. Hey, Andy, why didn’t your crew step in and stop it as it was happening? That was a true “Bravo, Bravo, fucking Bravo” moment. It ultimately wasn’t Lee’s issue to handle. It was production’s.

Ashton was threatening to the point where any kind of agreement or understanding — contractural or otherwise — was null and void. Ashton’s ass should have been thrown out of that van as well as off the show.

That was the ugliest season of any show that I watch on Bravo, and every time it’s on I do a slow boil at the blatant misogyny and sexism that’s on full display with both Kate and Rhylee. They should NOT have had to put up with that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Marley said:

I saw that Kate is pregnant and I wonder who the dad is. Is she rumoured to be dating anyone lately?

7 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m thinking she did IVF but I don’t know. I’m excited for her and miss her on BD. I bet Captain Lee and his wife will be the godparents. How old is Kate, now, anyway?

Yeah also thinking turkey baster.

Are there many men who could put up with that personality?

• Like 1
  • Love 1