Type keyword(s) to search

Below Deck in the Media

bref
  • Start Topic

On 1/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, scrb said:

Yeah I think this managing my team discussion between Ashton and Kate was mostly BS since this is a show and they're playing roles.

But Kate telling him it would be bad management to fire Rhylee is ridiculous.

She made a point of demoting Simone and promoting Courtney to humiliate Simone.  Tell me that's better management or more compassionate than firing someone just 6 days before the gig was ending anyways.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:01 PM, MajorNelson said:

I think she promoted Courtney as the only action there, so both then had two stripes.

She didn't demote Simone, but Kate did say promoting Courtney was not only her way of recognizing Courtney, but also her way of sending a message to Simone.  Maybe not quite as bad as a demotion, but close, and an intentional and public dig.

Agreed about playing roles.  Kate's actions and remarks are mostly meant to drive drama for the show - and keep herself in the driver's seat.

I like to think so anyway.  Gawd.  If she acted like this in real life, she would be a much more heinous human being and manager than what she already presents on the show.

If Simone and the "bru's" have any consolation, it is this.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

Jenn stated on WWHL that her and Kate were good friends and got along great during their season. Kate agreed and mentioned something about “that’s not what they show you” suggesting, perhaps, that the editing creates characters to the detriment of the person behind it. Jenn is usually one of the poster children used as an example of Kate’s mean girl bullying but if Jenn herself says that’s not really what happened...

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
26 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

Jenn stated on WWHL that her and Kate were good friends and got along great during their season. Kate agreed and mentioned something about “that’s not what they show you” suggesting, perhaps, that the editing creates characters to the detriment of the person behind it. Jenn is usually one of the poster children used as an example of Kate’s mean girl bullying but if Jenn herself says that’s not really what happened...

This. I was thinking the same when I saw Jenn. And also one of the deck guys said same, that Kate works hard or does a good job or whatever.

And jeez, what is wrong with Kate promoting Courtney to send a message to Simone? Maybe to light a fire under her. Which, by the way, Simone has kinda picked it up a notch since. I mean, that IS managing. Jeez, your boss is not supposed to be your BFF and shrink and mommy and ...... A boss is to lead and direct you to do THE best JOB. Not get soft cuddly treatment. Working is just that...WORK. Not fun. Not party time. Not dating time. Not getting therapy on a shrink's couch. Not getting hugs, cuddles and pats on the back from mommy. WORK. That is what you get paid for. Paid with money. For working hard.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 18
On 1/7/2020 at 12:22 PM, Jextella said:

Kate says firing Rhylee is the easy way out for a manager rather than Ashton trying harder to work with her.  The same could be said about Kate and most 1st and 2nd stews in previous seasons, and including Simone this season.  Kate is a horrible mentor and she's insullting to boot.  In addition, sometimes firing someone is the better management decision - which Kate has done herself in the past. Just because Kate likes Rhylee, it doesn't mean Ashton is a bad manager.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, Lamima said:

Also, Kate managed many a difficult worker and never fired any (until the Caroline bit and for the love of Pete, that girl needed to be fired as did many others Kate had to put up with...Jenn, I am looking at you). Kate has had to manage Kat...and Kat and Amy drama, Jenn, Caroline, Laura, ROCKY....had to also work close  with Leon, Matt, Ben and Adrian (all of whom are crazy...um, they are chefs). I mean...Rocky and Jenn made it all season without being canned. Kate can manage her ass off. That is one thing you cannot say Kate fails at. Yes, she is snarky and mean girl-ish. Yes, she is close to the boss-man and may get away with things. But she works hard to earn ALL of them, everyone on that boat, a good tip. 

Caroline quit. She was not fired. Kate didn't manage the Kat and Amy drama. Kate just chose Kat and treated Amy like shit for an entire season even though Amy was a phenomenal 3rd stew. Kate spent the entire season passive aggressively sneering about Amy smiling when she was working, was livid every time guests would give Amy a compliment, and had a smug little "see, I told you she sucks" smile when Amy occasionally messed up. If anyone should have been the stew that Kate had an issue with, it should have been Kat, who continued her pattern of being kind if drunken and mediocre at her job. I'm sort of surprised that anyone could watch season 2 and conclude that Kate was good at managing anyone.

From then on out, the show has consistently had 3rd stews who were both bad at their jobs and horribly entitled. Viewers were probably less likely to be critical of Kate's management abilities when her stews were really bad and had obvious attitude problems. That's not really Simone. Simone has bad service skills. No dispute. However, the only place that Simone has shared this "Kate is secretly jealous and intimidated theory" is in her confessionals; she hasn't shared it with anyone else in the crew. So it's really fucking obnoxious of Kate to act like Simone is giving her attitude, when Simone isn't.  Simone has actually been very passive and it took a decent amount of her courage to ask Kate what the issue was. Because Kate is actually a pretty shitty manager, she just stopped talking to and looking at Simone following that incident. Kate kind of treated Amy the same way in season 2. Simone isn't half the stew Amy was, but Kate's not half the manager people pretend she is. Kate's got all of the technical skills of a good chief stew and almost none of the management skills.

• Love 4

I amended an earlier post.  It is correct that Kate hasn't fired any of her stews but she has gone to Captain Lee with ultimatums about it's either "them or me".   That might make her even worse of a manager to some.  Even Captain Lee says he doesn't like to babysit.  I'm not sure how Kate giving him ultimatums is any better.

• Love 1

I think firings on the show are attempts to make "good TV," not real.

That is, Lee isn't making the decisions, the producers are.  They cast the crew and they move certain members in and others in for TV reasons.

I started watching BD 1-2 years ago so I saw the WWHL special and they showed clips of firings on earlier seasons.

BTW, is anyone surprised that most of the cast are not in high end yachting any more, after  the end of their seasons?

Maybe real seasoned yachties or those with real careers in the business aren't going to do a TV show year after year unless Bravo throws a lot of money at them.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, scrb said:

BTW, is anyone surprised that most of the cast are not in high end yachting any more, after  the end of their seasons?

Maybe real seasoned yachties or those with real careers in the business aren't going to do a TV show year after year unless Bravo throws a lot of money at them.

The irony is that some of the people you least expect to stay in yachting remained in yachting. Both Jen and Sierra are chief stews.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, JillThePill said:

As for all the Ashton hate, I understand that he acted inappropriately.  I think he would be the first one to agree with that, but I believe he will work hard to change his behavior and never let that happen again.  I don't think he's a bad guy.  He's immaturely competitive when it comes to women.  He was trying to beat Tanner to Kate and was rebuffed, twice.  Now, the truly bad person in that group, imo, is Tanner.  He is gross.  As soon as he got wind that Simone had a crush on him, he took full advantage knowing full well he had absolutely no interest in her.  He took what he could get and then dumped her, keeping his eye on the real "prize" (in his twisted mind), Kate.  Not to mention his jokes about getting "girls" pregnant.  He's repulsive.  

Ashton is too old to be “immaturely competitive about women” and even if that was some sort of legitimate excuse for some of his behavior there is zero excuse for not once but twice aggressively sticking his tongue down his coworker’s throat uninvited. And I could not disagree more with the assertion that he will try to “never let that happen again” since he already “let it happen” more than once and the second time it came with a side of a violent outburst that looked like it would have spiraled out of control real fast if it had been just Ashton and Kate alone in that van. 

As far as Tanner being repulsive, I agree completely. 

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Thank you! Now I know the spelling for Bosun. I always thought it was boatswain (but forgive me for being Canadian, lol). We spell words the most difficult way.

Both are acceptable.

• Love 1

Ashton thinks he did nothing wrong so he has no plans to change his douche behaviour. He’s pathetic. I’ve never known any guy to rage that bad because someone said what about your mom. He was raging because he thinks he’s the hottest ever but no one wants to bang him which makes him mad and in his mind Kate is beneath him in every way so she should be lucky he wants to get with her. He should’ve been fired. He’s a toxic pos.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Marley said:

I’ve never known any guy to rage that bad because someone said what about your mom.

And to clarify all Kate said was “how is your mom doing,” to change the subject of them all ragging on Tanner’s mom which indicates that he would never want anyone to talk about his mother they way they talk about Tanner’s mom which indicates why Tanner and the dudes are also all awful.

• Love 11

Even if her intent was bad his reaction was ridiculous. I’ve partied a lot and drank alot and worse things have been said by girls to guys around me and I’m sure I’ve even been a bitch and I’ve never seen a reaction of a guy basically trying to go attack the woman. It was scary and disgusting.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Yeah I'm sure her intent was completely innocuous.

I think her intent was to change the subject but by the look on her face and her lack of participation in talking smack about Tanner’s mom it seems unlikely that she would have started making comments about Ashton’s mom. A normal human would have thought hey maybe we should stop this stupid riff or just answer her at face value since he had just spoken to her. Even Ashton hasn’t been able to come up with a legit reason for his reaction. The closest that they got to was he doesn’t like to talk about his family which also would have been an appropriate response to her, though probably a lie since he has talked about them and to them on camera. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 13

Ashton still doesn't get it, he thinks he's the victim. He needs to grow crawl into a hole & disappear from the public eye.

"It was a lot to take on and, and, you know, it’s very easy to kind of fall into a depressed state when people are so aggressively negative towards you," 

"I hope my plans coming to fruition will afford more opportunities for my detractors to sip on that ever familiar "HATER-ade :) N.B The word means haters, no need to reach for a thesaurus,"

https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/ashton-pienaar-below-deck-season-7-kate-chastain-drama-regrets

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, snarts said:

Ashton still doesn't get it, he thinks he's the victim. He needs to grow crawl into a hole & disappear from the public eye.

"It was a lot to take on and, and, you know, it’s very easy to kind of fall into a depressed state when people are so aggressively negative towards you," 

"I hope my plans coming to fruition will afford more opportunities for my detractors to sip on that ever familiar "HATER-ade 🙂 N.B The word means haters, no need to reach for a thesaurus,"

https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/ashton-pienaar-below-deck-season-7-kate-chastain-drama-regrets

Dickswab.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, snarts said:

"I hope my plans coming to fruition will afford more opportunities for my detractors to sip on that ever familiar "HATER-ade 🙂 N.B The word means haters, no need to reach for a thesaurus,"

Lord this response reminds me of the when Captain Sandy responded to Colon’s mild tweet calling out Joao’s behavior with women that it was unacceptable because he might commit suicide. 
He is so delusional and takes zero responsibility. I didn’t realize I could hate him more than I did. He is a vile piece of trash.

• Love 17
22 hours ago, snarts said:

I came on here to say the same thing.  He doesn't get it.  He doesn't understand that he had several taped conversations made prior to all the haters coming for him, in which he pretty much doubled down on his treatment of Kate.  He only gave his half ass apology (that was only posted 24 hours) because of the response on social media.  

As far as Kate getting special treatment.  It is well known that she is very close to Captain Lee and his wife.  They've been together for several seasons.  He's stated that she is "like a daughter" to him.  We've never seen Kate frazzled.  Many of the past cast members have said that she does a really good job.  

The only time I wasn't Team Kate was during her first season with Amy.  Amy is my all time favorite second/third stew.  It has seemed that since that since the third season, the producers have sought the "inexperienced" third stew to drive Kate nutty.  

• Love 13
On 1/12/2020 at 12:19 PM, biakbiak said:

Lord this response reminds me of the when Captain Sandy responded to Colon’s mild tweet calling out Joao’s behavior with women that it was unacceptable because he might commit suicide. 
He is so delusional and takes zero responsibility. I didn’t realize I could hate him more than I did. He is a vile piece of trash.

Captain Sandy would 100% be Team Ashton.  Anything to get more camera time.

• Love 9

I’m having difficulty “liking” posts, but I have agreed wholeheartedly with many of you.

Yes, Kate seems to be a “stuck up” “bitch” but even if she were, it is no excuse for the male crew’s behavior. Stop blaming the “victim”. Stop excusing criminal behavior. 
Regarding Kate’s actions with Simone: Simone is constantly seen on the phone with her mother, bitching about Kate, giving a slightly different twist to her comments. Since the crew quarters seem so cramped, does Kate hear all of Simone’s calls to mommy? Coupled with her poor service, Simone’s crying to mommy is another slap in the face to Kate. 
It seems like other than Rylee and possibly Courtney, Kate has no friends among the crew. So she “hangs out” with the Captain, a safe male. Kate seems to be a “nanny” to the crew when they are out in public & are too drunk to pay bar bills etc.

Regarding Ashton: NOTHING excuses his behavior. His behavior was not just “TV”.  There was real hatred, violence & vitriol there. I wonder if his trying to fire Rylee is in part her support of Kate. Ashton is guilty of sexual assault and his behavior should have gotten him fired immediately. Then blacklisted. He still doesn’t get it. His interviews give the usual bs “working on improving...” but not acknowledging any wrongdoing. Same with Tanner.

My husband comments on my watching BD, saying I’m watching the “eye candy”. He doesn’t watch but I’ve told him of the men’s behavior. I’ve said pretty is as pretty does. Ashton, Tanner & Kevin are ugly as sin in my eyes, based on their character, or lack there of.

I’d add in Brian among the ugly men, but I tend to forget he exists...

Edited by Thumper82003
Forgettable Brian
  • Love 14
On 1/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, Thumper82003 said:

Regarding Kate’s actions with Simone: Simone is constantly seen on the phone with her mother, bitching about Kate, giving a slightly different twist to her comments. Since the crew quarters seem so cramped, does Kate hear all of Simone’s calls to mommy? Coupled with her poor service, Simone’s crying to mommy is another slap in the face to Kate. 

Constantly on the phone? I only recall Simone talking to her mother once or twice. They've featured Tanner and his mom more than Simone's. Rocky was constantly on the phone. Eddie was constantly on the phone in season 3. Season 4 when Kate had a girlfriend we saw her Skype with her girlfriend to try to Skype with her girlfriend 4 or 5 times. Simone talked to her mom twice on camera.

• Love 2

Kate was on the Mouthing Off with Olivia Caridi podcast.  Tanner still texts her, also apologizes to her. Texted her for Christmas and for her birthday. She doesn’t respond to the texts.  Someone asked how good the money is. She said that the first December she worked she made $20,000 comprised of $4,000 salary and $16,000 in tips.  Salary goes up according to rank.  The podcast is under an hour in case anyone wants to listen in.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4

How do US taxes and visas work for yacht crews who work in non-US locations?

Are these folks independent contractors? (I'm not asking about Bravo income; I know how that works.)

Seems like it would be difficult for any revenue agency to track and collect taxes on these tips. Could this be part of the attraction to the industry?

My friend was a purser for a cruise line for many years, but he was a W-2 employee.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:44 AM, Koalagirl said:

Kate was on the Mouthing Off with Olivia Caridi podcast.  

That was a really great interview, thanks for bringing it up.  I'm a Kate fan, and to me she comes off very self aware, lots of insight here.  Plus, hey there is like 70 production team members, 3 rented boats for them etc.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

That was a really great interview, thanks for bringing it up.  I'm a Kate fan, and to me she comes off very self aware, lots of insight here.

I agree.  Kate walking off the boat made so much more sense as it was related on the podcast: she felt unsafe, she was astonished that production wasn't stepping in at all (even after Ashton's outburst in the van), and she was not wandering off into the night (she indicated there is a hotel at the end of the dock.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it wasn't the one the production crew stays at.)  I also laughed at how Olivia called out that Kate had totally taken the time for "great blow-out" before returning to the yacht.  And Kate laughed right along.

Edited by mcjen
Left out critical wording: "she was NOT walking off into the night"
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

That was a really great interview, thanks for bringing it up.  I'm a Kate fan, and to me she comes off very self aware, lots of insight here.  Plus, hey there is like 70 production team members, 3 rented boats for them etc.

Three ships or three shifts?  I think she said one rented boat, three shifts.  But then again with those lips it might be hard to understand her at times.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Three ships or three shifts?  I think she said one rented boat, three shifts.  But then again with those lips it might be hard to understand her at times.

Yes she definitely said three shifts and one follow boat.

I wonder if Tanner has great pheromones because he apparently gets it. Not that Aesha doesn’t seem super discriminating but still surprising she slept with him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yes she definitely said three shifts and one follow boat.

I wonder if Tanner has great pheromones because he apparently gets it. Not that Aesha doesn’t seem super discriminating but still surprising she slept with him.

It is inconceivable to me that at this point anybody would want him...but then again I'm not young and horny...or in Kate's case not so young and horny.

• Love 3
On 1/16/2020 at 2:22 PM, mcjen said:

I agree.  Kate walking off the boat made so much more sense as it was related on the podcast: she felt unsafe, she was astonished that production wasn't stepping in at all (even after Ashton's outburst in the van), and she was not wandering off into the night (she indicated there is a hotel at the end of the dock.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it wasn't the one the production crew stays at.)  I also laughed at how Olivia called out that Kate had totally taken the time for "great blow-out" before returning to the yacht.  And Kate laughed right along.

Yeah, I totally noticed the hair when she returned the next morning and loved it. Why not? She barely has time to pin it up when she crawls out of her cabin bed each morning. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yep her. She was at the reunion. 

If Jen "I'm a Cheerleader" is a chief stew, I'd love to see Bravo film just one episode of her managing her staff. That would be intriguing, and heart warming to see all of the charter guests leave the yacht alive 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Apparently there will be a reunion and Andy is asking for questions. I shall ask “Ashton why are you a vile piece of shit!”

The Below Deck Season 7 Reunion is almost here! Post your questions for CAPTAIN LEE, KATE, ASHTON, SIMONE, COURTNEY, RHYLEE, BRIAN, TANNER, ABBI and CHEF KEVIN. Tell me where you are from so that I can use your city in the question.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Too bad Ashton rejects therapy. His level of insight, of self awareness is cripplingly  low. His bravado sort off curls inward, gets smaller when he's confronted with criticism. It doesn't disappear but seems to harden around him even as he seems to become still as tho he might suddenly have gone from large, aggressive predator to prey. He's aware he should be listening but clearly isn't capable of doing so. 

Therefore his spouting about reforming is meaningless. He's a damaged being incapable of finding his way forward and whose particular damage makes him incapable of trusting & accepting help of a guide.

His outward macho bravado and misogyny are repulsive. And I can't help but see him as a pathetically injured person underneath that disgusting behavior we've watched all this season of BD. 

I sincerely hope the producers/ PTBs get a clue from the viewer reactions to Ashton and his equally screwed up, damaged, immature, arrested development "brus" and never repeat the casting mistakes of this season and return the show to enjoyable watch-ability. This season has been exhausting and not at all good for blood pressure or digestion.

Seek help "brus" and enabelers!!

• Love 12
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Apparently there will be a reunion and Andy is asking for questions. I shall ask “Ashton why are you a vile piece of shit!”

The Below Deck Season 7 Reunion is almost here! Post your questions for CAPTAIN LEE, KATE, ASHTON, SIMONE, COURTNEY, RHYLEE, BRIAN, TANNER, ABBI and CHEF KEVIN. Tell me where you are from so that I can use your city in the question.

I think Andy said the reunion will be on February 10.

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Let's ask Ashton and Tanner how their mother's feel about their attitudes about and towards women. Ever single Ashton question should mention his mother, just to see the reaction. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

For my observation Caroline has emotional/mental issues and due to that I tend to add a grain of salt. However. This behavior is definitely not out of the realm of possibility of character for Ashton. We've seen it demonstrated this season.

And if this is indeed true then Bravo has hired a serial abuser. Twice. 

One would think producers in the Age of Weinstein would be more careful re: background checks...

And women should NOT remain silent on the moment. If this happened to Caroline (who is seemingly quite fragile )it is awful and I hope she's talking to someone besides Twitter. 

I also hope Bravo/Magical Elves/ whoever the f --- is taking note here. This crosses the line into criminality and Bravos Below Deck is complicit. 

Better take a hard look at this BravoAndy. It's still your face and name people associate with these programs and right now it sure looks like you're staring at the ceiling saying "I see nothing!".

Ashton will most likely never be seen on BD  ever again but seems at this point a good bet for a mug shot in his future.

• Love 9

image.png.214e250e02c4f27830749247eb6f39a7.png

Tanner's mom post to Below Deck Uncensored.

Tanner also has a post on Instagram thanking his girlfriend(?) and saying that what is being showed is simply an 'edited' version of him.  Sure, Tanner, sure.

Edited by KLJ
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, KLJ said:

image.png.214e250e02c4f27830749247eb6f39a7.png

Tanner's mom post to Below Deck Uncensored.

Tanner also has a post on Instagram thanking his girlfriend(?) and saying that what is being showed is simply an 'edited' version of him.  Sure, Tanner, sure.

I can understand if she wants to take Captain Lee to task for his actions, but she should first and foremost expect her own son to take responsibility for his actions.  This kind of parenting - where you allow your child to get away with whatever and then blame others - is what causes people like Tanner to continue to be clueless about how their own behavior affects others.

• Love 17