Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: The Key

Tara Ariano

I want the writers back from the first season.  (lips quivering and shouting)  I want it now!  I hate this show now.  I really had great hopes for this season after the first episode but alas, it wasn't to be.  It has been struck from the dvr and me watching.  I would rather watch paint dry than this show.  I hate hate hate Olivia, Fitz and all the rest except Mellie.  I do love Mellie.  Maybe Mellie can go all psycho and get rid of them all and then we can start all over again.

• Love 2

Mellie's speech about Jerry's death was pretty reprehensible.

It would have been fine if she had simply said, "It's easier for me to accept this, knowing that it wasn't an accidental fluke." But she went a lot further than that. She made her son's death all about her.

My friends at work have been defending her all day, but I know that if Fitz had cheerfully said, "He died so that we could win the White House!" they'd be calling for his head on a platter for saying something so horrible.

• Love 2

How did Abby suddenly become so awesome? I have always found her the most irritating character on the show, but her newfound assertiveness and refusal to take shit is props-worthy.

I used to feel the same way, and now she's about the only one I like.

Blah episode.  Tired of everyone worshiping at the altar of Olivia Pope.   And seriously, the President of the United States beats the crap out of Jake?  Come on.  This is getting really, really stupid.

• Love 1
Jake being beaten by Fitz and talking about how he had his way with Liv, was a call back from the episode where Fitz had Eli in the box and gloated about how he (Fitz) had his way with Liv. Typically I really appreciate call backs, but I found the one in this case lazy and borderline offensive (I'm weary of Liv being objectified by the men that claim to love her).

This wasn't borderline offensive, it was offensive in the extreme.  That conversation would have been bad enough if it had just been between Jake and Fitz, but in my mind I kept thinking two things: (1) other people were in the room listening to (and others probably recording) them talk about Olivia like a piece of meat, and (2) how those sleaseballs made it all about Olivia and not about poor, dead Jerry. I mean, yeah, Olivia is a component, but again, poor, dead Jerry.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 6

Hooo boy, Mellie's gone over the edge.

Someone please tell me what happened in the cold open? I missed it... Thx.

I wish I could. I watched it, but it made no sense. I guess I can't remember all the twisty plotlines from weeks back to make sense of what this show has become.

I wish I could. I watched it, but it made no sense. I guess I can't remember all the twisty plotlines from weeks back to make sense of what this show has become.

It's pretty obvious that there're making this stuff up as they go along now.

• Love 2

Wow.  That was bad.

What happened to this show? Olivia Pope was a strong,capable woman, a white hat who rescued people who had screwed up their lives. She had a band of gladiators, who had flaws, but pulled it together because of their faith in Olivia and did awesome things. That was the show I signed up to watch. Now we have Olivia Pope, who can't function, who ran away, who is a quivering mess seeking solace in a bottle, a women whose lovers speak of their sexual encounters with her in the most derogatory terms possible to provoke their adversaries. I wanted to be the first Olivia Pope, but I agree with David about the second. What a waste!

I never got into Grey's Anatomy because, while I enjoyed the writing and I can enjoy a prime time soap, I couldn't accept a hospital staff that was so thoroughly self-absorbed.  I loved Scandal because, with a DC setting (already surreal in RL), everyone could be self-absorbed and plot twists could be ridiculous and it was all fine.  Make fun of politics and politicos, please!   Plus, see quote above.

But even watching only a third of this episode at regular speed (the rest was FF), it was hideous.  I have to assume that Tony Goldwyn, who had a full acting and directing career before this show, is ready to leave because there is nothing redeemable about him anymore.  

Yeah, I can't even work up enough interest to type any more ab.....

• Love 6

But Shonda and the entire writing team should be ashamed of themselves.

Shonda always does this with her shows (and characters.)  ALWAYS. 

No matter how strong her shows start off, she'll treat us all like suckers in the end. Which is why I refused to watch How to Get Away With Murder.

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 6

"I thought this was the most ridiculous thing myself, Jake knows he murdered people left and right but he's going to call himself a white hat and a good man?"

I think maybe this is what he has to tell himself to be able to live with what he's done, that ultimately it's for the greater good?

So, has any one found Fitz remotely sympathetic or likeable in years? It's always been a stretch but it's gotten to the point that it beggars belief that Olivia is still interested in him. Is his penis made of heroine? And apparently the entire country was better off with Olivia on an island and Cyrus running the puppet president all by himself.

• Love 3

When Fitz and Jake were talking I just kept thinking, "I can't believe the taxpayers have to foot the bill for this little swordfight. How much is all this dick swinging costing the American people?"

I need Bellamy Young to get her own show. Something where she can really play to her range because the woman has got it. Whether she's playing evil, pathetic, crazy or heartbroken, I never take my eyes off her.

I did like two things: 1.) Abby telling Liv that she is poison. Truer words, yo. and 2.) The fact that the show has chosen to remember Harrison's death and the effect it should and does have on the characters. That's actually how good writing works.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

I want to see if I have this straight - memory bad from previous seasons.

1. Jake killed James and the two women who were with him. Jake himself, we saw it.

2. Rowan either killed or had killed Harrison and Jerry (Charlie for Harrison? SS guy for Jerry?)We didn't see either one, did we?

3. Women whom we didn't recognize were from a case awhile back, right? And the key is.....?

4. Who is the person David has confessed to killing? I remember a judge from a previous episode who, when confronted by David with past transgressions, killed himself. Is that the person David says he killed, or is there someone else I've forgotten about?

5. Mellie's hair isn't dirty enough for someone who hasn't bathed in days, weeks?

Because of Mellie and Abby, I'll continue to watch the rest of the season, but that's it. And I agree with poster above who said that because of Shonda's continual betrayal of her characters and her audience, I haven't even started How to Get Away with Murder. Which really frosts me because I've always loved Viola Davis.

• Love 2

I thought this was a bad episode, too.

So the woman in prison, Catherine, is Olivia and Abby's friend from last week who is being accused of killing her daughter.

The young woman Olivia and Quinn witnessed being killed is the best friend of the Catherine's murdered daughter. Olivia & Associates are trying to prove that Catherine is innocent, and the real killer is the husband (the murdered daughter's father). They believe Catherine's daughter gave her best friend a key to a locker that contains proof of the real murderer. They were watching her to see where she has the key and were shocked when a man who works for Catherine's husband came in and killed her. And that is all I go because things got even crazier after that and it was all about stuff that had nothing to do with the case.

• Love 1

I want to see if I have this straight - memory bad from previous seasons.

1. Jake killed James and the two women who were with him. Jake himself, we saw it.

2. Rowan either killed or had killed Harrison and Jerry (Charlie for Harrison? SS guy for Jerry?)We didn't see either one, did we?

3. Women whom we didn't recognize were from a case awhile back, right? And the key is.....?

4. Who is the person David has confessed to killing? I remember a judge from a previous episode who, when confronted by David with past transgressions, killed himself. Is that the person David says he killed, or is there someone else I've forgotten about?

5. Mellie's hair isn't dirty enough for someone who hasn't bathed in days, weeks?

Because of Mellie and Abby, I'll continue to watch the rest of the season, but that's it. And I agree with poster above who said that because of Shonda's continual betrayal of her characters and her audience, I haven't even started How to Get Away with Murder. Which really frosts me because I've always loved Viola Davis.

1. Yes, Jake personally killed James and two others in on the "Publius"/Sally Langston murdered her husband and the government covered it up train, while leaving David alive with brown-stained underwear.

2. Rowan had Jerry killed by Tom. Harrison figured it out that Marie did not really have the motive, means or opportunity to kill Jerry but that Rowan did, and like a dumb-ass confronted Rowan directly about it. We saw Rowan have a minion (possibly Tom again, I forget) kill Harrision. We then learned in the pilot that Harrison was believed to be killed in Arizona or some such with Adnan, instead of in DC. Jake uncovered that there was video of Charlie eating two meals at one of the restaurants where Harrison and Adnan supposedly were, meaning B613 was involved. 

3-4. Not sure myself.

5. It's Hollywood dirty, I suppose. 

• Love 1

I'd like to see Mellie cinch her belt, and become a gladiator. Take down Olivia, then Rowan. Let Jake & Fitz kill each other, mebbe Abby delivers the last blow. Install Abby head of B613, David as President, take her daughter and retire to The Island.

• Love 3

I can't believe Olivia fell for her father's bullshit explanation of why Jake killed Harrison and the First Son.  Will she come to her senses by the next episode and realize that her daddy is pure evil?

Poor Huck!  It's a good thing Javier wasn't home to see his crazy daddy.  Shit!  Huck was so fucking scary!  I thought he was going to kill the doctor in his ex-wife's home!  Sorry, Huck.  You need to stay away.  You are far too damaged right now.

I'm so happy Mellie finally showered. 

Is the President of the United States allowed to beat up someone?  I guess on this show, it doesn't matter.  After all, he did kill someone and get away with it. 

• Love 1

Did Liv know that Rowan was command again? Or did she only find out when Cyrus came to hers and told her? 

I was under the impression that she didn't know, but the fact that she never mentioned him lying to her again about being command when she confronted him at the office made me think that maybe she did know. 

Mellie, you were better off before you married Fitz.

Actually she seemed fine when she married Fitz. If she hadn't felt she needed to hide her rape from Fitz I think that would make all the difference. Remember Mellie hiding her rape is the source of a lot of her resentment of Fitz.

We really need to stop with the detailed commentary on the sexual escapades of Olivia Pope.

And I can't say it enough..FUCK ABBY. What a self righteous ass. If you were as smart as Olivia Pope you would be the next "go to fixer" but you're not even in her league as Cyrus told you in last week's amazing episode. You don't owe Olivia Pope for the rest of your life for rescuing you but you owe her a damn site better than what you've been giving.

Huck is boring.

Quinn GET OFF MY SCREEN.

I'm sorry, but WTF?

Rowan gives one of his oratories

Weekly, bloviated, scenery chewing oratories. SO over Joe Morton and his fucking speeches.

And Fitz. Ugh. Not only do you make presidential and familial decisions with your dick, you can only beat a man when he's chained and unable to fight back...oh, and with two gigantic Secret Service men standing sentry, just in case Jake's ninja fight skills get around the chains and padlocks. Oh, you da MAN, Fitz. What a loser.

• Love 8

Mellie's speech about Jerry's death was pretty reprehensible.

It would have been fine if she had simply said, "It's easier for me to accept this, knowing that it wasn't an accidental fluke." But she went a lot further than that. She made her son's death all about her.

My friends at work have been defending her all day, but I know that if Fitz had cheerfully said, "He died so that we could win the White House!" they'd be calling for his head on a platter for saying something so horrible.

I understand this POV but I take exception to the word "cheerfully".  Mellie is not cheerful by a long shot.  She's desperately trying to grab onto something that will help her make sense of Jerry's death and to some comfort of any kind at all.  Fitz should then say "Never talk to me about Jerry again?"  What gives him the right to say that when his concern is demonstrably NOT to find Jerry's killer but to beat the shit out of - or kill - the man who's been screwing his mistress.  High ground, Fitz?  What a joke.

And I can't say it enough..FUCK ABBY. What a self righteous ass. If you were as smart as Olivia Pope you would be the next "go to fixer" but you're not even in her league as Cyrus told you in last week's amazing episode. You don't owe Olivia Pope for the rest of your life for rescuing you but you owe her a damn site better than what you've been giving.

Huck is boring.

Quinn GET OFF MY SCREEN.

I'm a big Abbey fan.  And I'm perplexed about the rampant dislike of Quinn on this Board.  Perplexed - not unhappy - just perplexed.  That's a person who life was stolen from her and subsequently the person from whom she got some comfort was murdered.  I think they're all lucky that when she went off the deep end, she didn't kill the lot of them.

Edited by tpplay
  • Love 1

Wow. How bad is it that I actually wanted more scenes of Quinn being the awesome investigator while everyone around her was falling apart? Is she the only one that gives a crap about anyone other than him or herself? It's hard to find someone  to like on this show, but I think so far this season, for me it's Quinn.

• Love 2

Sigh...I'm getting tired of the show losing focus on Olivia Pope & Associates and their fierce work on behalf of clients. Love the flashbacks to the beach sex and also got a kick out of Jake being specific about being "inside" Olivia as he baited Fitz, but what's new here? Rowan's still lying, Fitz is still disgusted with Smelly Mellie, Jake still knows Liv will choose Fitz if it comes to that, Huck is still agonizing over the loss of his family and Quinn is..well, she's just Quinn. They need new blood in OP&A. What ever happened to that guy from season one who was a Gladiator. Maybe David Rosen will join in? http://tvruckus.com/2014/10/24/scandal-the-key-recap-livs-boyfriend-hurts-her-other-boyfriend/

• Love 2

I'd just like to point out that the man doing the (ineffective) interrogation was Mr. Turner's best friend from Boy Meets World.  The one that taught a 10th grade journalism class in season 3.  That's what I got out of this episode.

• Love 1

I thought that bit was horrible, but I then thought that she said it that way, because it made sense to her.

Is the President of the United States allowed to beat up someone?  I guess on this show, it doesn't matter.  After all, he did kill someone and get away with it. 

I actually love the notion of Fitz going from "We're going to do all this by the book so we can prosecute him all good and properlike" (as if detaining him in the Pentagon without access to counsel, without charges for more than 48 hours is anything in the ballpark of "legal") changing into the President actually beating up a chained man all because he teased him about doing Olivia.

It also calls to mind how thin-skinned Fitz is. When he tried to taunt Rowan about having sex with his daughter, Rowan is like "You're a little punk." But Fitzy becomes all unhinged not at the thought that Jake may have murdered his son but because Olivia liked her some hot Jake action.

• Love 2

Roomtorome, yup, he surely did - smother her, that is. Cause she wouldn't, like, shut up, so that's okay cause he's the president 'n all.

Thanks to those who answered my questions. If they're not going to deal with the Catherine/daughter/friend murders, I wish they'd stop dropping in scenes that don't make much sense.

I've always adored Joe Morton, but right now the only way I'd get the get the taste of Rowan out of my mouth would be a new season of Eureka. God, I miss that show. Real people with real moral centers. And Martha, the sentient flying robot.

• Love 2

I'm glad that we're finally closing the door on Grieving Mellie. I've enjoyed watching her but I've been terrified that we were headed towards a storyline where Mellie has a  nervous breakdown and Fitz calls Liv in to fix it. The next thing I need her to do is find Andrew and bang him like a screen door on a windy day. She has nothing to lose anymore. The election is over, one of her kids is dead, another in boarding school and America's Baby is being raised by the nanny. Andrew is another thing she lost so Fitz could be reelected but, unlike Jerry, she can have Andrew again. Plus, and please forgive me for this...

I can easily see a story where - since Fitz can't run again - Andrew runs for president with Fitz as his VP. Andrew wins the election. Andrew dies in some dramatic way and Fitz becomes president again. Yes, it would be ludicrous but what part of this show isn't?

• Love 1

Sugar Ray Grant

That is FUNNY!

Shonda always does this with her shows (and characters.)  ALWAYS.

No matter how strong her shows start off, she'll treat us all like suckers in the end. Which is why I refused to watch How to Get Away With Murder.

I think it's only 4 episodes in and I gave up at 2!!  It was off the charts already!  At least Scandal took years and so did Grey's Anatomy, for that matter. 

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 2

I'm glad someone remembers that Jake murdered James. Thank you Cyrus for telling off Olivia and pointing out that her boyfriend murdered his husband...

Too bad Cyrus almost killed James himself and before the killing went down, people were taking bet that Cyrus was plotting to take James out again because that's how vile Cyrus is. His indignation carries no weight when James was expendable to him when the mood struck.

I remember Cyrus ordering the hit on James - I

That was when Cyrus hired Charlie to kill James. could have sworn that was the case. I can't remember if he tried to call it off, just as it was about to happen.

• Love 6

I was not excited about Abby's speech either.  The words needed to be said, but Abby was not the person who should have delivered them.  Abby is either jealous of Olivia or she wants to be Olivia's right hand confident and she is frustrated to be relegated to arms length good friend status.

• Love 1

Didn't Fitz smother the supreme court justice in her hospital bed?  Or, am I confused by this mess - yet again?  White hats?  They have some definition of that term….

Oh, yes, I had completely forgotten that good guy Fitz had killed a Supreme Court justice with his own hands.  Gah.

One thing I appreciated about this episode: they toned down the green screen effects. Previous episodes were ridiculous. This is a soap opera not Star Wars. Not every background shot needs to be a visual wonder.

• Love 2

Fitz is a disgusting human being. 

Huck is also terrible.

Cy sucks. 

Olivia is too stupid to live.

Am I supposed to be rooting for any of these people? 

I loved this show season 1, enjoyed it for part of season 2, tolerated it last season in the hope that it would find its stride again, but I am losing interest very quickly. 

Rowan as an infallible all-knowing god is getting so tiring.  Fitz as a constant patsy, but sometimes also as a ruthless dick-driven asshole?  Also tiring.  Jake as a sometimes badass killing machine, yet other times a milquetoast is exhausting.  I think the only thing I enjoy on this show anymore is Mellie, and even that's getting questionable.  But I want so much to like it!  I want to enjoy it!  I want it to be as good as it was at first, and I keep hoping it will be.  And I keep being disappointed.​  This episode was just awful.  

• Love 2
This is a soap opera not Star Wars.

Fitz is pretty much Jar-Jar to me.

Shonda, your lead character loves a dumbshit murderer and adulterer? I'll need to be gone by the next time he tells Olivia he still wants to make jam in Vermont.

Poor Teddy , still trapped on Shona's Island of Misfit tv cbildren with Ella.

Would love to see an episode from his POV, , hearing the kid's thoughts about all the shitnanigans going on.

While side eying his parents and start plotting to kill them when gets older.

• Love 2
Rowan as an infallible all-knowing god is getting so tiring.

I'd love for Olivia to realize that Rowan is responsible for both Jerry and Harrison's deaths and then stealthily plot her revenge on dear ol' dad, all while making him think she still trusts and believes him.

Alas, it's a Shonda show, so I know the women will never win.

• Love 2

Are her other shows this awful? Because I think it's great that she hires outside of the Barbie box, but what she's putting up there is a great big juicy rainbow of lizard-brained awfulness, and the central relationship is repellent. I'm half waiting for someone to show up impregnated with little Jerry's sperm sample.

• Love 1

It was sad that the only thing to reach Mellie and pull her out of her grieving was the one thing that Fitz was trying to hide from her; the fact that Jerry was murdered.

I want to root for Jake but I keep remembering James.  

Quinn retrieving the key was gross.  Like others I have completely forgotten what this storyline is about.  What file?

• Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo

Its kinda funny really, i thunk "isn't this character awesome!" And go to a fan board and find out that half the fandom hates them. I have always loves Abby. I find her delightful. I have never understood the annomisity for Quinn. I find her storyline one of the most interesting on the show. I love Mellie and Cyrus is probably my favorie character on the show.

• Love 2

Do you know when Rowan is most scary?  When he is with Olivia and relaxed and fatherly and grinning (see photo in the story this week; you can count his teeth in that big smile).  It is just chilling to see how convincingly manipulative he is. 

Yes to the poster above who said we cannot forget how Jake shot James so he would die a slow death in the street.  How totally morally bankrupt.  (I have to keep reminding myself that this is no longer Noel from "Felicity"!)

• Love 1

In a strange way, I still like Daddy Pope too.  Yeah, he's a POS, but he knows it and embraces it.  I like his self-awareness.

Is Daddy Pope the only non-hypocrite among the characters? On this show, that qualifies as "refreshing." Go, Daddy Pope. Be your bad self.

I've decided that Shonda is conducting a social experiment called, "How much can I make them swallow before they regurgitate my show?"(Sorry.)  I was going to quit, as of last season, but now I'm interested in seeing how bad they can all get. As I type this, I'm watching a football game, and feeling equally morally compromised. Yeah, concussions, but. . .whoa, great tackle. Same thing with Olivia. . .Yeah, murderers, but whoa, hit him again, Fitz!"

I miss Harrison. He seems "good," by comparison now.

David, David, your sin was cowardice. You're a tragedy, maybe the only one apart from that poor poisoned kid.

Is there anybody left who actually wants to ever see Fitz and Olivia together in the same room again? Or Olivia and Jake? If she meets another man, we need to all yell, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE AND YOUR MORAL COMPASS!

For me I see it that Huck and Jake did not have a choice in being part of B613 they were chosen then basically forced and brain washed losing everything that was formerly their lives just to do the governments dirty bidding.  I think they want to wear the white hat.  I love Liv but hate how weak Ms. Rimes is making her.  I can't stand Fritz he does not show love for Liv just lust and disrespect and a desire to control her not to mention his blatant disrespect and total lack of respect for his wife on any kind of human level.  Don't care for Cyrus at all.  I have always like Abby and can understand her anger at Liv.  Liv rescued all these "misfits" making them feel they owe her, which wouldn't bother me if she seemed to care more about them and what they go through.  Hate papa pope and hope he gets his cummupets soon.  I  like Quinn and Huck and even them together just not in the totally disgusting way Ms. Rimes wrote them together.  I would like to see more of the gladiaters and their cases of the week and more of their lives.  I can even handle the White House stuff just less evil would be nice.  Just my two cents.

• Love 1

I can't stand Fritz he does not show love for Liv just lust and disrespect and a desire to control her not to mention his blatant disrespect and total lack of respect for his wife on any kind of human level.  Don't care for Cyrus at all.  I have always like Abby and can understand her anger at Liv.

This is how I have always seen Fritz and Olivia.  IMO, the only thing he has going for him is the Presidency.  Having sex in the Oval knowing that its the seat of power and that you are being observed is probably hot.  Knowing that your lover/boyfriend can do anything he wants whenever he wants is hot too.  Thats all I got as to what Olivia sees in this fool.

• Love 1