Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E04: Thinly Sliced Anchovies

• Start Topic

I may have fangirled that all the staggered flight arrival times. 

And I have to say nice to see they finally did something interesting with the fuel efficiency of the Ford car.  Better than the time they had to use the parking assist. 

With the foreshadowing at the start, it was expected that the Save was going to be used, though I had thought the NEL would kick in the next leg.  The fight between Shelly and Nici was pretty damn awkward.  To me, Shelly was acting a bit smug at the mat and righteous in the sound bite.  

Finally, I don't know who I'm more jealous of, Phil or the dog.  Either way, that was adorable. Trumped by the sleeping Dane. This season's menagerie is a major highlight this time. 

• Love 8

I'm sorry.  You have not driven efficiently enough.

Imsorryyouhavenotdrivenefficientlyenough.Imsorryyouhavenotdrivenefficientlyenough.Imsorryyouhavenotdrivenefficientlyenough.

Imsorryyouhavenotdrivenefficientlyenough.Imsorryyouhavenotdrivenefficientlyenough.Imsorryyouhavenotdrivenefficientlyenough.

Well, I got that out of my system.

So, how many more episodes do you give it before the mother and daughter straight up murder each other?

• Love 2

Shelley was wrong for not telling Nici that she seen Phil standing there. I would've been pissed off too if she just sat in the backseat with an attitude saying she didn't say anything because she wasn't driving. It would take every last breath in me not to reach back there and knock her out if I was Nici. If you're not driving you need to be the lookout and have your eyes open.

WTF a non elimination leg this early. That's way too early to have one now. It's funny how Mr. Lighthouse thinks that no team should pass them and how they're gonna be the most dominant team in Race history. I think not. I think all teams are still on an even playing field so far. As any one of them can come in 1st place as the Cyclist demonstrated. Now hopefully Team Lighthouse will be a little bit more humble. Damn shame that save couldn't have been flushed out.

I did love the scientist falling out on the floor during the detour, it was cute. The wrestler dude saying his sandwiches like that I thought he was auditioning for Broadway.

The Cyclist did have a good strategy of riding with the cake in two pieces and putting it back together when they reached their destination. Brooke was the only one who was able to hold it without falling so good on her and good on her for not being a defeatist this time around. 

I really did enjoy the detours and roadblocks today and the driving challenge of driving efficiently. The challenges mostly dealt with memory with the parking space and sandwich memorization. I probably would have failed the driving part but would pass the memorizing ones I'm good with memory.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 6

You know, the Dentists started out annoying and all, but I like them.  Jim didn't get upset with Misti at all, he supported her, and he complimented other teams as well.  Coming in last and struggling all day was a wake up call for them.  Should be interesting to see how they do the rest of the race.

How did Amy and Maya end up in fourth when they left the restaurant in second?  I'm guessing they got lost and it wasn't shown.

Glad that Kym and Alli won - they did a great job this leg.  And also glad that it was finally a leg where they had to get their own flights!  I was worried they were going to have spoon fed flights all season.  And a roadblock finally!

I don't know what was going on with Shelley and Nici.  What a horrible thing to say to your daughter (in the talking head).  I liked them to begin with but I kind of hope they go home next week.

Loved the setting too - I've been to Malmo and Copenhagen (and rode a train over that same bridge!).  I wish they were going further into Sweden next leg.

• Love 5

Dammitall that downfall would have been a lot more fun without the save or NEL. And hot damn how much do I love the editors for putting in that "36 Hours Earlier" clip? So MUCH.

Those dogs were amazing but they are bigger than my house.

Even though they can be so frantic it makes me nervous, I am ALL ABOUT Tim and Tejay for knowing the capitals of the Scandinavian countries without having to freaking ask.

Brooke and Robbie. Oy. And I like Alli, but I find Kym to be grating and off-putting. Lay off the nice waiter lady, she doesn't need five kisses. And I thought they were going to get a penalty for taking the extra icing bag because the camera focused on it and they gave the "ding" sound, but maybe that was because it was smart? Because transporting the cake in two pieces WAS smart.

My husband and I had a disagreement, because I thought the Maitre D checking the cakes was hot but he thought the greeter was hotter. But I mean, it's Denmark. They're all pretty, heh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

I do too, but damn if that "Oh look the dog fell asleep waiting for us" didn't soften my hard, hard heart for a moment.

poor doggy . I still don't care for the dentists

Were Tim and TJ the only team to know the capitals of Norway , Denmark and Sweden without asking locals ?

• Love 3

I was going to say the Dentists seemed to handle adversity well.   They weren't fighting with each other or adding pressure.   They were just working through the problem.   But then the talking head came when she said how she appreciated his support while she was doing the server task.   He looked at her like "What are you talking about woman?   I wasn't supporting you."   It said so much.   I would have switched tasks much sooner.   I also would have chosen the cake task first anyway, those "get every detail right" tasks are way harder than they look.

Mamma needs to remember they are a team.   Phil was right, which was more important at that moment, proving Mamma is always right or helping them find the mat?   I don't blame the daughter one bit for being pissed that Mom didn't speak up and tell her she saw Phil.   

Someone earlier opined that Phil would take the Save then tell them it was an NEL.   Apparently he is not that cruel.   And the doggie loved Phil (well frankly who doesn't}

• Love 6

I'm of Danish descent, so I was pissed to see them land in Copenhagen only to promptly leave and drive to Sweden.  Thankfully they returned!  We eat smorrebrod every Christmas eve and laugh at people's expressions when we tell them we had sandwiches for Xmas dinner!

smorrebrodplatter_wide-eed76f9ce5ea4dbf8

• Love 19

Oh, man. This was a gut-grinder of an episode. Thank goodness it was a non-elimination.

Seriously, Jim's a frightening man. He looks more like a wrestler than the wrestlers. I'm glad he's not like Jonathan Baker, in the sense that he supports Misti without resorting to violence, but the man is intense. And I'm glad they got saved without using TASave, because otherwise, Adam & Bethany might have been sent packing. I can live without Shelley & Nici, but the surfers are competent, sweet and supportive. They might be boring compared to the other teams, but sometimes I like 'em boring.

Shelley/Nici . . .  they need an Amazing Counselor. I bet they're nice in "real life," but between the Race and Killer Fatigue, there's not much of a team there.

Can you imagine what Brooke would be like if she gave birth? Wow. Great that they finished second, and Robbie didn't look like too big of a dork, at least compared to Misti singing (and missing the numbers).

Aw . . . Great Danes! And one of them wanted to kiss Phil! You and everybody else, dog. Also: is it me, or is this a huggy bunch? Not a complaint, mind you . . . though I'm sure there are some greeters who probably are a little standoffish.

• Love 3

That dog was awesome.

The racers were quite impressive at the restaurant. I'd still be there trying to get it right.

That mom was really a passive aggressive asshole this leg. I totally get why the daughter was reduced to acting like a toddler at the mat. It's hard enough to deal with someone like that in daily life, much less on a stress-filled race around the world.

• Love 9

That mother and daughter team--they enable each other. The mother knows exactly how to push her daughter's buttons and the daughter lets herself get manipulated. If that's how they're going to be I hope they go soon because that kind of stuff is hard to watch. I guess I'm harder on the mother because I think she could defuse her daughter but chooses not to.

I'm glad Bethany and Adam & Amy and Maya were safe. Bikers played smart this episode. Jim sure has an expressionless face but I guess that's better than criticizing and yelling at his partner. I felt like we got to see more of each team today.

• Love 5

The mom is dead to me. That was the most passive aggressive move ever.

I keep wanting to hate the dentists but I just can't. They're actually supportive and self-aware, as well as being pompous and over confident.

Are the scientists really bad drivers? I feel like they fall back in position every time they have to travel somewhere, but it's never commented on.  

Edited by RockShrimp
  • Love 10

Even though they can be so frantic it makes me nervous, I am ALL ABOUT Tim and Tejay for knowing the capitals of the Scandinavian countries without having to freaking ask.

I could not believe how many teams had to ask.  And they didn't even need to name all five, just the three in the poster!

• Love 8

Other than the tail end where Misti and Jim got their save back, I thought this was just an absolute delight of an episode.  This is the episode that needs to be submitted to the Emmy's, and my favorite episode in probably 2-3 seasons.  Fun tasks, great humor, teams driving themselves, awkward family drama, teams thinking they're out but coming back to stay in it, powerhouse teams thinking they're hot shit and coming in last: what a great episode.  

Highlights:

Phil and the dogs. "it's mating season!"

Amy giving Phil the eyebrow.

Kym and Alli rocking the leg and just looking to be having an outstanding time

Great detour of attention to detail vs. strength/navigation

The great censor of one of the T/T's saying "I'm a server, I better not fuck this up!"

Everyone wanting to eat all of the food in the challenges

Ida whatshername who runs the restaurant - she was awesome

Just an all around great episode.  I do with the dentists lost the save though.  I'm actually finding the save to be not a great addition.  I think it'd be better if when they get to the mat, they have to try to guess what place they're in, and hand over the save if they think they're in last, and then Phil takes it regardless even if they're not.  They certainly tried tonight, but clearly the rules say it can only be used if they're last place in an elimination leg.  I also think there should have been a more severe penalty than tracking down someone with a phone to say 3 country's capitals if they didn't do the Ford challenge correctly (though I did enjoy T/T's energy when they actually knew them).

Loved it!

• Love 8

I liked that leg but don't have a lot to say about it.  People are still mostly cool, and even though Jim scares me (does he blink?) he doesn't take out his frustration on his wife, which puts them on the less objectionable end of the villain scale.  Killer Fatigue before you leave Europe on a eastern route is a very bad sign though.  Yikes.

• Love 3

I loved those dogs!  I loved all the places that were visited. The parkettes are an interesting idea, in general.  The Pit Stop looked so cool; I will have to look it up.

I was sooo disappointed that so many of these folks who knew they were going around the world, literally, had to get help with capitals. Thank you T&T for making me fist pump!

Using the fuel-efficiency of a car hasn't been used before? (I have sat out for a few seasons.) That seems a no-brainer, given the show.

I want to go to Ida's place! I may not order some of the stuff the Racers had to serve, but everything looked. well, amazing. As did the bakery! I have a peeve related to that, though. I know the Racers aren't guaranteed food, due to tasks and raaaaacing, but to continually ask detour/roadblock hosts if they can eat objects used in said Detour/RB seems rude. (Looking at you, Robbie.)  I enjoyed the fact that TeJay was a server, so he was very gung-ho about the RB.

I know I would be ready to drop if I was spending big amounts of time at Ida's restaurant, but the sheer volume and the flailing worried me. I did like that the entirety of the patrons cheered when a Racer got the whole recitation right and then the delivery. That was very nice.

About Shelly and Nici at the mat: Both have points, yet Mom needs to realize that while there are plenty of teaching moments, screwing over her and her daughter to prove a point is counterproductive.  Shelly's point of 'quit freaking out all the time' was lost in the 'We were almost eliminated because you weren't navigating/holding up your end of the team's work.' 

Marrakech seems like it will be cool, but it looks like Shelly is not in a happy space.

• Love 4

Fantastic leg!  Good to see a Detour again, and I like that it was attention to detail vs. navigation, patience, physicality, and balance.  And a challenging Roadblock on top of it all!  If I didn't know any better, I'd say the race planners actually took a step back and really thought about this course as they put it together!  And the efficient fuel challenge with a punishment for those who didn't use it correctly was a clever little touch!

But on to the teams.

Kym & Alli: Except for forgetting their receipt near their bike and Kym's memory problems, I think these girls just killed this leg!  A fantastically-run leg with all the right beats hit!  From just going straight to the airport for an earlier flight to acing the fuel challenge to breezing through the Detour to carefully handling the Roadblock, they were firing on all cylinders!  They really might be contenders in this race!  Great job, girls!

Brooke & Robbie: The wrestlers finally ran a good leg without needing someone's help (at least not another team's).  But Brooke still whined quite a bit at the Detour.  Robbie did a good enough job at the Roadblock, though.  I'm a bit confused at them finishing second, though, when they really got out of that Roadblock in third.

Keith & Whitney: Good leg by them.  They didn't panic upon having to switch Detours, they paid careful attention to detail at the Parking Space Detour, Whitney killed the Roadblock, and they made it in third place.

Amy & Maya: Good leg, girls!  Knocked Parking Space out of the park, and Maya kept her cool as well as she could to clear that Roadblock!  But I wonder what the hell happened to them?  They left that Roadblock in second!  How'd they end up in fourth?  The editors really should've shown what happened there.

Tim & Te Jay: They just keep getting really, really, really shrieky.  But I appreciate them staying calm enough when they were behind and playing catchup with the other teams at the Detour.  And Te Jay cleaned up nicely at the Roadblock.  Fifth place was well-earned.

Shelley & Nici: This team also did a good job to recover, especially after arriving in last after getting a delayed flight.  I was surprised they saved their fuel despite the tension of being in last.  I admire how they stayed calm enough to pay attention to detail at the Detour, and good on Nici for clearing that Roadblock in one try.  But then . . . Nici proceeds to lose me, likely for good, right on the mat.  Seriously.  Shelley's not just your teammate, lady.  She's your mother.  Respect your mother.  She was right in what she said.  I feel for Shelley and agree that the sooner they lose, the better it might be for Nici.  Though at the same time, Shelley shouldn't have nearly screwed them over by not telling Nici about seeing Phil on the mat just because Nici smarted off to her or whatever.  Both are right and both are wrong, and if they don't shape up, they'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Adam & Bethany: Wow.  Quite the drop for them.  But they suffered from failing the fuel challenge, switching the Detours, Adam's memory problems at the Roadblock (Bethany, that was one you could've done easily), and navigation.  It was relieving to see them finish seventh after all of that, but hopefully, they can recover on the next leg.  Still, for one leg, it was good to see them and the team below not be the top two.

Misti & Jim: After a leg that was really harsh to the teams, we end with some leniency that, frankly, leaves me cold.  After losing the fuel challenge, biffing both Detours, and Misti needing nine tries (more than any other person!) to complete that Roadblock, they should've had to give that Save up.  That Phil gave it back just because it was an NEL was B.S.  They should've given it up and lost it after finding out they'd wasted it.  That said, let's hope this gives Jim some humble pie.  If they win another leg, though, we'll see if it does.

Great episode, though.  Probably the best of the season!

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 4

The Dentists were more amusing than annoying with their self confidence and bragging tonight. There was no mention of having to do a speed bump in the next leg or did I miss it? This is pretty early for a NEL - what a surprise. Also it's pretty early for a team meltdown, I'm guessing mom and daughter are probably not going to last much longer with their bickering. I'd prefer the Dentists to them right now.

I thought the title of the episode was "Can I eat that?" with a couple of the teams wanting to eat the food from the detour.

• Love 1

Did it strike anyone that it was rather fuel inefficient to use the car to drive to Sweden just to turn around after proving it is fuel efficient?   I was surprised by the Dentists.  If they were going to be sniping at each other this leg would have been it.  Mom and daughter can go home esp since it seems like their behavior seems to remain poor as the  preview indicates.

• Love 6

How did the surfers end up coming in behind the mother and daughter from hell? I didn't see anything the daughter did to make her mother act so pissy, but I might have missed it.

I can see that the dentists are pretty good racers, but I keep thinking how scary it would be to have that face working on my teeth. Yikes!

• Love 1

I missed the first half, dang it! Forgot it was on Fri. Even worse for me because Copenhagen is one of my favorite cities in the world. The old part of the city is gorgeous and the people there are incredibly nice.

It was nice to see the placements get mixed up and the previous front runners struggle. It's not so clear cut now.

• Love 1

I was quite unhappy with Phil tonight. I know it prob. wasn't his decision, but handing that save back to the dentists removed any gameplay aspects from the save at all. It should have required strategy, that they could use it but wouldn't be entirely sure if they were in last place or if it was a nonelim. Same as how teams can do a U-turn to a team that's ahead of them, effectively wasting it. 

And then Shelley/Nici. Oof. it looked like he only told one of them she needed to "grow up", and clearly both of them do. They are turning into horrible people. 

I was impressed with Alli/Kym, though. They're really growing on me, and they kicked butt tonight AND had fun doing it. 

I thought that the two-sided vase, especially when one side was hidden, was really not fair. I assume some teams passed just because the vase happened to be turned the right way to start with. And didn't Ty see another team turn it, and that's what clued him in? Cheating! 

There was no mention of having to do a speed bump in the next leg or did I miss it?

Thank you, I thought I'd lost my mind for a minute. I don't remember a mention of one either, but they should have to do one per the rules of previous games. If not... and they got the Save back.... I'm never going to a dentist again! :)

• Love 2

Well, that is some bullshit. The Save is even more of a buff than it ought to be, especially if there's no Speed Bump.

Otherwise, really good leg. Nice bit of airport non-drama in giving teams multiple flight options (Aberdeen's a big oil port, so there are lots of options via Amsterdam and Stavanger for people heading to and from the rigs), nice use of the Ford promo in an appropriate location, good Detour option and a decent Road Block. (Also, that's The Bridge from the original series Bron that FX adapted.)

Kym and Alli were obviously a top team going in, and they rocked the leg while having fun, and it's really not mugging to the cameras. Misti and Jim (aka the Blue Man and Woman Group) managed to overestimate their capabilities at every task. 

The editing at the end of legs is still really, really choppy this time round.

Also, Scouse judge on the efficiency challenge. Or perhaps Jan Molby.

Edited by etagloh

I really loved this leg. There was a lot of shakeup in the ranks and some pretty difficult challenges. Copenhagen is adorable, and the people there seem great. The sandwich shop lady was so sweet, and apparently Brad Pitt just stops by to judge parklets. 

But...um....does the cake lady tan at the same place Jim does?

Speaking of Jim, LOVED seeing him get knocked down a peg. Or twelve. His bragadociousness was off the charts tonight, so it was awesome to see all these "lesser" teams surpass him. Though I do call BS on the leg when he needs to use the Save just happening to be a NE leg. Mmmmhmmm.

That dude just comes off as scary, to me. He has angry eyes. Misty thought he was hovering in the door to offer support? She is either delusional or putting on a front. Because he looked straight up menacing to me, like he was trying to intimidate her into getting it together.

Brooke and Robbie are a pair of idiots. "Is that a handyman spot?" "Is Sweden a different country?" Wow. 

I was surprised that so many people couldn't figure out how to drive their car efficiently. But I did love that Tim and Tee Jay were able to name the capitols without any assistance. 

A Roadblock! Yay!

So far I'm really impressed with the Bike girls. It was really smart of them to not only transport the cake in pieces, but to bring some icing along as well, in case repairs were needed. They're just my favorite team so far - smart, capable, fun and easy going, self deprecating, and appreciative. 

Shelley and Nici, on the other hand, are probably the worst team. They just do not function well together. They are in full on breakdown mode, and, frankly, they ARE both acting like immature brats. I will not be sad to see them go.

• Love 9

Had to check and see if I was watching TAR or Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, ... Day by about 20 or so minutes in.

Karma kicked Jim in his too-white teeth, and I loved every second of it!  This has been a week of fantastic TV episodes for me!  But why oh why did it have to be an NEL?  Speaking of which, did Phil mention a Speed Bump for Misti and Jim on the next leg?

Was it Brooke who illegally parked in the disabled spot and called it the "handyman" spot?  Whoever it was is now forever on my sh*t list because I'm disabled and do not find it at all amusing when I can't get an accessible parking place because some sh*t wad has illegally parked.

The editors disappointed me.  I wanted to hear crickets chirping when the wrestlers were talking about their memories not being very good and Brooke pointed to her head and said there wasn't much there.

Continuing to love Bethany and Adam and the Scientists.  They're quiet, polite, respectful, supportive, and fairly competent--my favorite types of Racers.  Loved Phil and the Scientist doing browsie at each other.

Shelley and Nici both annoyed me this episode.  Nici was being a brat, but risking elimination to teach a lesson wasn't cool on Shelley's part.

Wait.... he gives Phil the Save..... and gets it back because it's a NEL. That sucks. I wanted Phil to pocket it, THEN tell them, "Hey, no prob, it's a NEL! You wasted it!! HAHAHAHA!!" and watch the glow-in-the-dark smiles fade.

Is that too much to ask?

I wanted that too!  Maybe Phil needs a few negotiating and meanness lessons from Probst.  Jeffy would've done that without a second thought!

Does the Save really have the effect of eliminating the next-to-last team as someone upthread mentioned?  I thought it just made the leg essentially an NEL by keeping the team that used it from elimination.

• Love 5

The wrestler dude saying his sandwiches like that I thought he was auditioning for Broadway.

I'm guessing he was going with the idea that it's easier to memorize something if you sing it or tap dance along or something like that rather than just try to spit back the words. (The Schoolhouse Rock theory of learning.)

• Love 5

Shelley/Nici . . .  they need an Amazing Counselor. I bet they're nice in "real life," but between the Race and Killer Fatigue, there's not much of a team there.

This happens more often than not when you have a super TAR fan who needs someone to come along for the ride.

Brooke and Robbie are a pair of idiots. "Is that a handyman spot?" "Is Sweden a different country?" Wow.

But they at least joke about it. Jim asking people in the square for the names of Scando capitals? Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen, the city to which you flew? Really?

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 1

You know, the Dentists started out annoying and all, but I like them.  Jim didn't get upset with Misti at all, he supported her, and he complimented other teams as well.

That tone was not supportive.  At all.  In any way.  He was clearly annoyed that she was taking so long and trying to hold it together.

• Love 3

At the sandwich challenge were they allowed to go up with the # and ingredients of one sandwich at a time or did they have to do all four at once?  The male dentist's eyes always look like they are going to pop right out if his head with the whites showing all around the eye--yikes!

• Love 2
I also think there should have been a more severe penalty than tracking down someone with a phone to say 3 country's capitals if they didn't do the Ford challenge correctly

Oh, I should hope the locals didn't have to look up the capitals on their phones! Did they?

Are the scientists really bad drivers? I feel like they fall back in position every time they have to travel somewhere, but it's never commented on.

Maybe they get there on time but then start falling down and rolling on the ground in celebration. What was that about?

Is it safe (legal?) to drive using only one arm? And speaking of arms, funny how Brook was the only person who was holding the cake all the way to the restaurant. Everybody else seemed to think it was simply natural to just put it down and enjoy the bike ride.

Can you imagine what Brooke would be like if she gave birth?

Yes. I can. Because the noises she was making while transporting the cake sounded exactly like a woman in labor.

I'm actually finding the save to be not a great addition.  I think it'd be better if when they get to the mat, they have to try to guess what place they're in, and hand over the save if they think they're in last, and then Phil takes it regardless even if they're not.

I totally agree. Make it like the Hidden Immunity Idols on Survivor - you have to decide to play it before you know the final results.

I was surprised by the Dentists.  If they were going to be sniping at each other this leg would have been it.

I have the feeling that Jim is super concerned about appearances and saves all his sniping for off camera. That's why Misty was all trying to butter him up, about being such a supportive teammate, during their TH. But his face said, to me, "Oh, just wait til I get you alone". 

This is based on nothing but my gut instinct, and I could be totally wrong.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 6