Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Undercover

• Start Topic

I'm glad that the undercover stuff is over!  I don't like it.  I want the show 'back to normal'.

Gonna rewatch to try and find what song Gina was listening to on her head phones in The Gina Incident :)

Maybe it is not a real song.  I can only make out the words, "I'm a milkshake" :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

"You've helped me find my smile" had me laughing so hard.  I really need to watch this show more.

I laugh just by reading it again in this post. And I've re-read it a few times because I'm watching something else at the same time.  Laughed every time anyway.

I really liked this episode. Everything was solid, from humour to the serious stuff. Boyle's jealousy, Terry's commitment to the drills, Rosa giving absolutely zero fucks about them, Amy's beautifully awkward ass-kissing, Holt's rules at the bar, Jake's Jakeness... 

I really missed this show.

Also, the moment when Jake hugs Holt? Golden.

• Love 6

Thought they gave us just the right amount of Undercover-ness. We got to see Jake in his mafioso "costumes" and see him singing "Piano Man" with the mobsters (which I love since I'm Italian and Billy Joel is one of my favorites). But we also got to see all the squad doing their things, especially Gina rocking out during The Gina Incident! I love how Rosa and Santiago summed up summer in 3 flashbacks that had me rolling.  Did I miss Scully and Hitchcock in the opening credits? I thought they were regulars now. As if I needed another excuse to watch again before bed....

• Love 4

Thought they gave us just the right amount of Undercover-ness. We got to see Jake in his mafioso "costumes" and see him singing "Piano Man" with the mobsters (which I love since I'm Italian and Billy Joel is one of my favorites)...

I always find it interesting that there's such a strong connection b/w Joel & Italian-Americans, considering that Joel's dad was born in Germany and his mom was born in England, and neither had any Italian connection.  I thing that you're making the Italian/mobster connection, ShantasticBus, and not the Italian-Joel connection.

Really liked Braugher & Crewes this episode.

I love that Terry Crews is so willing to make himself look stupid -- all of the drills, the lisp.... I just love that dude.  And by "stupid" I clearly mean "awesome".

"Hey!  This is a tight 240, show Adelaide some respect!"

• Love 8

One of the things I love this series for is the way it's smart enough to avoid the stupid misunderstandings that other series will use to string things along for years (if only he'd spoken up 5 seconds earlier, if only she hadn't hidden her feelings that time, etc.). I groaned when Jake "took back" his romantic-stylez confession to Amy of last spring, saying he never really meant it, because I feared we were heading down that typical sitcom route. But then at the end when he returned to the topic and stressed that he did like her, I cheered. All the more so because they both handled it maturely: he didn't expect her to change her life for him but he couldn't leave it unsaid, and she remained friendly but reiterated that she's seeing someone else. You know, like actual grown-up people do.

• Love 16

So this show still makes me smile like a loon, even before the opening credits roll.

I wish we'd got to see more of undercover Jake, because he seemed to be having a great time, and really making connections with those mobsters.

I liked the reunion between Jake and Amy. Low key and lacking in needless drama, like their relationship was throughout season one. I like that they're able to bounce from funny to serious and then back to funny so easily. "Oh. Name's funnier than the story." And them actually taking the mature approach with this storyline gives me hope that they'll avoid all the usual 'will they, won't they' dogshit.

Boyle still manages to stay just the right side of adorable, in his neediness. He really does love Jake. But "there's more where that came from. I got a real wet mouth"? Really? Too much info there, Boyle.

I completely cracked up at Terry's, "tick tick tick tick tick" roleplaying. The audio was funny enough, but then they cut to him huddled in the corner with "unattended package" written on his sign. Brilliant. This show is so, so good at using flashbacks and montages like that. And Holt using lines that "were lifted, verbatim, from my boyhood diary". Of course he was.

Also, I loved Scully's gigantic sandwich.

Gina still sucks, thought I take it as an amusing meta comment that her storyline this week was about something absolutely no one gives a shit about.

• Love 2

So glad the show's back.

I do wonder if we'll see more flashbacks to Jake's undercover period. I don't think it's necessary, but I wouldn't mind seeing more mafia stuff.

It's probably foolish to list my favorite parts since there are so many, and every scene is great. Terry's lisping scene is at the top. Or maybe the top one is when he's acting like bratty Timmy and knocks over the Lego building, causing Amy to gasp in horror. Of course I also loved Terry wearing the whiteboard with various descriptions of who/what he was.

I had forgotten about Gina and Boyle sleeping together. I liked how the show dealt with it this ep. I loved her wearing the naked mole rat shirt and then sitting with Scully and Hitchcock.

I always enjoy Boyle. What a terrific character.

Holt, too, of course. Love Andre.

• Love 3

I don't have a PVR right now so I wasn't thrilled that this show moved into the latter half of Once Upon A Time's slot; at 8.30 though I switched over and stayed with this one.  Turns out, there was no conflict!  I really liked last season and this was a great start to the new one.  I like the ensemble so I thought there was just enough of Jake undercover before things got back to the bullpen.  He did rock that leisure suit, but I hope to never see it again.  I thought the Billy Joel thing was just going to be a gag until the bartender gave up the location of the escapee, that was absolutely brilliant.  Billy Joel really did bond the Mafia! 

I like the maturity of Jake and Amy's connection.  He's open about his feelings but putting absolutely no pressure on her; she's not changing her life for him but he's getting into her head.  I don't usually like when show co-workers date because I think it makes the show's world smaller, but I like Jake and Amy so I hope the story makes it work for these two. 

• Love 1

I like the maturity of Jake and Amy's connection.  He's open about his feelings but putting absolutely no pressure on her; she's not changing her life for him but he's getting into her head.  I don't usually like when show co-workers date because I think it makes the show's world smaller, but I like Jake and Amy so I hope the story makes it work for these two. 

They still kept the intrigue alive as well, despite Amy being adamant that she was still seeing Teddy. Because she looked nervous as hell when Jake first raised the issue, and then clearly a little disappointed and hurt when he said he didn't mean it, and she was "nearby". But they also established that nothing has to change in their dynamic, with Jake bringing back the sex tape gag.

Mature writing of a potential couple? On a crazy sitcom about immature cops? What is the world coming to?

• Love 3

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back!  

Once again, Andre Braugher continues to show that he was robbed at the Emmys (not to mention the Globes.)  He just killed it again. Can't really single anything out.  Except, thanks to that diary bit, I really want to see a flashback of Kid Holt.  A kid who considers sneaking in his dad's office and looking at antique globes is exciting.  Never change, Holt.

I'm glad they already brought Jake back, so he can interact with everyone, but I do hope we get maybe a flashback or two of some of the antics that happened, during his undercover sting.  Sounds like it was doozy.  So far, I continue to be casually optimistic over his feelings for Amy, and how it effects him.  I like that instead of making him spiteful or incompetent, it makes him just strive to be even better at his job.  And, he still doesn't act like he expects Amy to just fall for him; he knows she is free to choose whoever she wants, and all he can do is just tell her the truth, and be as mature about it as possible.  I liked that they didn't drag out the whole "I didn't really mean it!" for several episodes, and he already said that was a lie.  I just hope it doesn't effect their interactions too much, but the stuff with the Santiago Sex Tape gag (which, sorry, never gets old for me), and the drinks, makes me think it won't.  It's not the most important part of this show, but I'm curious to see where they go from here.

That being said, I actually liked that we mainly focused on Jake/Boyle tonight!  I really love their friendship, and how much they like each other.  Yes, Boyle can be goofy and silly, but he really is loyal to Jake and cares for him.  And while Jake can get annoyed with him and snark at him, Jake really does respect Boyle, and values him.  I find it very refreshing that it doesn't feel like an one-sided friendship, like other sitcoms sometimes do it.  I really feel like the entire squad will go to bat for each other, and I like that.

The entire plot with Terry/Amy/Rosa was just pure awesome.  Terry as the Angry Prostitute was the best thing ever.  And him  as "Timmy" and smashing the Lego house, and how upset Amy was over all the work she put into it.  Yep, my Melissa Fumero crush will never die.  She's too damn adorable!

Overall, a pretty good return and beginning of the new season.  Not the funniest, but I still laughed more then I usually ever do, and I thought it did a good job at re-introducing everyone, and establishing new plots.  I'm excited for this season, and I only hope the new time-slot helps it.

• Love 4

I loved the premiere! I didn't watch the first season on a weekly basis, but I think this show definitely deserves that. I laughed a lot, and the Jake/Amy resolution was surprisingly sweet and mature. I don't have strong feeling about Gina (I know some hate her), but I liked her this episode. She's much better when she's forced to climb down her high horse. 

Jake's undercover stuff was hilarious, and for some reason, I found him so much hotter with another hairstyle! It feels really weird, because I never ever thought about him as hot. Also, I kinda hope Freddy the mafia guy will return to take vengeance on Jake for ratting him out.

The girl playing Bianca was Mona Lisa on Parks & Rec. She should have played her here as well, I could totally see Mona Lisa dating a mafioso.

• Love 5

So is the show going to be on Sunday nights from now on? That's probably a much better timeslot for it. Huge ratings bump over the first season finale.

Favorite part was Terry complaining no seven-year old would talk the way Holt had scripted it, with Holt replying the lines were taken verbatim from his diary at that age. 

• Love 1

Way to come back strong, B99!

I think it dealt with the exposition necessitated by the summer very well. Such a strong ensemble that can have any character interact with any other character without a loss in Chemistry as each has its own relationship.

God I love this show!

I thought it was a perfect balance between the undercover and life at the preccinct. Great way to come back. Holt had me in stitches, Terry was amazing, I love every time Rosa and Amy are together, and the friendship between Jake and Boyle is still great.

Welcome back show, I've missed you so much!

• Love 1

I fully recognize I can occasionally have the humor of a 10 year old boy, but I think I pulled something laughing at Boyle yelling "NOW THE BALLS!"

As others have said, the show came back extremely strong. The only thing I wish is that they'd work a little more on Gina - Chelsea Paretti is so funny to me outside of the show, but something about the character of Gina does not click for me.

• Love 1

So glad to have this show back. Of course I forgot it came back Sunday and came here and saw the comments and screamed at work. 

Everything was good. Loved Jake explaining what The Bureau is to Holt and Holt saying yes I'm a cop and I've seen movies. AB's delivery is everything including his "constant smiling".

I'm glad Jake told Amy the truth about his feelings. I don't want a rushed relationship with them and I don't want them to turn her current boyfriend into a jerk, just let things happen naturally.

Gina wasn't as annoying, also a plus.

I am so happy to have this show back... it has become my favorite TV comedy and works as well as any workplace ensemble comedy I've seen. All of the characters are wonderful -- yes, even Gina, whose oddball negativity appeals to me -- and I love their relationships with each other, which are more complex than what we get with most sitcoms. I know I'm not saying anything really new here, but after rewatching the season premier last night I'm just a gushing fan!

Oh, and I'm in love with Rosa.

• Love 3

Yay it's back, and just as funny as I remembered it!  The cast has such great chemistry - and the writing is just fabulous.  Lots of funny stuff but the Boyle-jealous-of-Derek bits tickled me the most.  OH and Jake helping Holt "find his smile." lol

Jake's undercover stuff was hilarious, and for some reason, I found him so much hotter with another hairstyle! It feels really weird, because I never ever thought about him as hot. Also, I kinda hope Freddy the mafia guy will return to take vengeance on Jake for ratting him out.

Thank the lord I wasn't the only one thinking that.  For some inexplicable reason, both his hair and his whole "Italian American" vibe was totally working for me (and I honestly usually never find that type attractive).  

• Love 2

I loved that after he said that about finding his smile, Andre Braugher did something magical with his face so that even though his expression didn't change, you could actually see his smile. It was awesome.

• Love 4

Late to the love-fest, but whatever. Most of my favourite bits have already been mentioned (RICO definition, Terry Crews, Andre B), but I do have to take a moment to focus on what blew my mind: the Jake/Amy issue.

I was so annoyed when he backed away from his confession to her six months ago. It is almost impossible to adequately explain how happy and relieved I was to see him reverse his reversal and just admit that yeah, he likes her. No expectations, no pressure...just honesty. So fucking refreshing!!!

I didn't see anyone mention Jake's horrible drink concoction. Bless Amy for gamely trying it and I adored them both for agreeing that it tasted fucking terrible.

The episode was funny, as always, but I also enjoyed how well it was scripted. I loved the idea of the 16th mobster getting away, because (presumably) that will come back soon. Also it didn't put too neat (or unrealistic) a bow on Jake's undercover experience. Solid storytelling.

Making Boyle/Gina a running gag seems silly -- although to the show's credit, I almost forgot about it when Boyle never brought it up, even with Gina's self-humiliation. I hope they're not thinking of making them a "serious" couple, though I wonder if they'll become the Dwight/Angela-type of the show.

I think Boyle and Gina are my least favorite characters of the show (I don't really hate or dislike them, but I like everyone else more), but I'm kinda interested in this dynamic/relationship. It definitely has comedic potential, and I think, with the right handling, could make both characters a bit more interesting and smooth the rougher edges of their personalities that I consider unlikable. Also, I really hated Boyle's obsession with Rosa, and I was afraid the show will make her fall for him eventually, which is just icky (and, in my view, OOC for Rosa). I was pleasantly surprised in the finale when it turned out to be Gina he slept with, not Rosa.

I think Boyle and Gina are my least favorite characters of the show (I don't really hate or dislike them, but I like everyone else more), but I'm kinda interested in this dynamic/relationship.

I generally can't stand Gina but I agree that there this something that intrigues me about her being linked to this generally sweet, nice, dweeby guy. She cannot stand him at all and her personality is just a total 180 from his (I think she's unpleasant, mean, rude and selfish most of the time). He might inadvertently make her a little more palatable to me. If he's able to do that, he'll be worth his weight in gold, IMO.

Watched a gif online of Terry smashing the Lego castle and I noticed that a piece flew really close to Amy's face. It's only in retrospect that I realized one of them could have got a Lego in the eye and that would NOT have been fun. What they do for their comedy... ;)  It also reminds me of the scene last season where Terry was trying to put together this big, pink princess castle. Clearly, for my money, kids' toys + Terry Crews = comedy gold. :D

Oh man... That princess castle scene. Hee! 

This show is really terrific. I am so happy I found it last year and hope that more and more people find it with us.

By the way, the ratings were pretty good on Sunday night. I posted the details in the Media thread.

There were stables. And she was making plans for the landscaping. Amy was going to have a fancy Lego tower.

I don't laugh a lot at television. There's plenty of stuff I find funny, I just don't physically laugh much. But this show invariably gets me to laugh out loud multiple times an episode. Everything about the writing and the acting just falls together perfectly and hits me just right.

• Love 2

There were stables. And she was making plans for the landscaping. Amy was going to have a fancy Lego tower.

I don't laugh a lot at television. There's plenty of stuff I find funny, I just don't physically laugh much. But this show invariably gets me to laugh out loud multiple times an episode. Everything about the writing and the acting just falls together perfectly and hits me just right.

I've always been someone who finds the reaction funnier than the joke, and often I think there's nothing funnier than an extended period of silence while someone visibly doesn't react to something (shows like South Park and Archer do this amazingly well). So, of course, Captain Holt appeals to my sense of humour as if he was written for it. His stillness and the measured way he does everything, are just pure gold. So I laugh my head off every time silence descends, but this show actually cracks me up just as much with the zany, crazy stuff too.

One moment that I've always found side-splittingly funny was Jake trying to get Kid Cudi to crack in interrogation, and they showed the clip of Jake playing the guitar and just screaming at him.

• Love 2

They still kept the intrigue alive as well, despite Amy being adamant that she was still seeing Teddy. Because she looked nervous as hell when Jake first raised the issue, and then clearly a little disappointed and hurt when he said he didn't mean it, and she was "nearby". But they also established that nothing has to change in their dynamic, with Jake bringing back the sex tape gag.

Mature writing of a potential couple? On a crazy sitcom about immature cops? What is the world coming to?

Of course -- if the person you worked with and sat opposite in an open-concept, long-hour, dangerous job was about to declare (or re-iterate) feelings that you do not reciprocate, wouldn't you look nervous as hell?

(Although yeah, they totally left it open.)

• Love 1

Gonna rewatch to try and find what song Gina was listening to on her head phones in The Gina Incident :)

Maybe it is not a real song.  I can only make out the words, "I'm a milkshake" :)

It was "Ice Cream (Milkshake)" by World Music Ensemble.  I thought it was a fake song at first.  :)

Edited by Amethyst

Put me in the group that found Samberg oddly hot in his mafioso hairstyle (and neither he nor mafioso types normally do it for me). Especially in the car after Boyle had beat him up a bit - for whatever reason, the wounds made him look extremely sexy!!