Type keyword(s) to search

Veronica Mars in the Media

• Start Topic

Well, after the movie at one point I did feel like there was a possibility of a short season (or two) but I figured the movie didn't do well enough to warrant that. Glad to see it's still an option because I do want to see more Veronica and especially more Neptune.

Well, after the movie at one point I did feel like there was a possibility of a short season (or two) but I figured the movie didn't do well enough to warrant that. Glad to see it's still an option because I do want to see more Veronica and especially more Neptune.

I enjoyed the movie as a love letter to the fans.  I really dig the books which have forwarded the overall story line (and I think they are canon), so I think a limited run series would be terrific.  In a perfect world, I'd like to see something the way BBC does Sherlock, but I really will take what I can get :)

• Love 1

Kristen gave an hour long interview for "Off Camera with Sam Jones"-- which is airing on DirecTV's  "Audience Channel"-- I don't know if other TV outlets carry it, or if it's available to stream on line. But it was really interesting.

She talked a lot about how it felt to her to play Veronica, not just professionally but also personally.

Apparently she suffers from depression and anxiety and has since she was a kid, and she talked a lot about that, and about how acting helps her, and how things she experienced as Veronica changed her as a person.

She also talked about her marriage, her view of life, other roles (especially Sarah Marshall, House of Lies, and Frozen), her childhood, how she chooses what projects to sign on for....

It was a really compelling hour if you have any interest in her or any of those topics.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/22/2016 at 5:33 PM, Kromm said:

While I love Kristen Bell and 'Veronica Mars,' my question is whether we really need a series. As a VM fan, the movie was good. It tied up some loose ends but let some characters ride off into the sunset. And that's where I want to leave them. I don't know if I want to keep following these characters into adulthood. Somehow I think I'd be disappointed. 

The only person I'd like to learn about is Duncan. How are he and Lily doing? What's he doing for money? How is his bipolar disorder (or whatever condition is was that made him short-circuit around Veronica). 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

Netflix is now carrying "Off Camera" but they don't have all the episodes yet. I don't see Kristen's listed, but it's something to watch for, as Netflix often adds a season at a time.

Her episode (it's a nearly hour long interview) is #057 and you can find more details at offcamera.com .

-----

I would watch the show if they revived it. I think the movie was fun, but a little manic, because they were trying to jam so much into it. If they went back to a serial, it could breathe a little more.

I would watch a limited series. I wouldn't want full 20+ episode seasons but I'd like a 6-10 episode season with mostly a single mystery and no case of the week. Maybe add some story lines about the characters' jobs, family, friends or romance which may or may not tie in with the mystery.

• Love 4

Per TVLine: 

Veronica Mars Boss Rob Thomas Shares 'Six-Episode' Revival Update

By Michael Ausiello / January 21 2017, 9:40 AM PST

With the Gilmore Girls revival behind us, it’s time to reopen our investigation into a second Veronica Mars reunion project.

Over the summer, leading lady Kristen Bell confirmed our initial scoop that she and series creator Rob Thomas are eyeing a limited-series format vs. a fan-funded feature film this time around, telling me at Comic-Con, “We are definitely striving to do it again… And this time around we’re not going to ask the audience to pony up for anything."

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour last week, Thomas — who was promoting iZombie Season 3 — revealed that the potential continuation would consist of a half-dozen hour-long episodes. “Kristen and I both want to figure out some way we could do a six-episode Veronica Mars mystery,” he shared. “If I were a betting man, I bet that it will happen. I just don’t know when it will be.”

Two likely complications/obstacles: Bell’s commitment to NBC’s The Good Place and Thomas’ in-the-works Lost Boys remake for The CW. “We need to find a window where we could both do it,” he explained. “When actors are on network shows, most standard contracts will give them outs for, like, one episode a year of guest-starring. But then there are also sometimes outs if you’re doing something that is non-competitive. Would NBC consider a Veronica Mars thing on, like, Netflix non-competitive? We have not figured that out yet.

“Also, I’m developing Lost Boys,” he adds. “If those things weren’t happening, we might be closer to a Veronica Mars [continuation]. The Good Place, I think, is going to be on NBC for a while. And if Lost Boys goes, finding that window will be tricky. But we both want to do it.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, topanga said:

While I love Kristen Bell and 'Veronica Mars,' my question is whether we really need a series. As a VM fan, the movie was good. It tied up some loose ends but let some characters ride off into the sunset. And that's where I want to leave them. I don't know if I want to keep following these characters into adulthood. Somehow I think I'd be disappointed. 

I think that a number of stories got finished with the books, Logan for example (I mean he can be around as a romantic figure, but his storyline is finished. He's faced down his demons and shown us how he will function in the future).  The books finished off some more stories, Lianne and Weevil.  I think for a lot of people it is okay if V is just a PI all her life,  but I think she came back to work on what she wants to be when she grows up and her relationship with her father, things that were cut off when she left Hearst abruptly and those storylines aren't finished yet, also Keith could use a bit more resolution (I hope).

I'd love a series. It's not that I need resolution for the characters. I just love spending time with them, watching how they interact, and going along for the ride as they solve mysteries!

• Love 2

I would also like to spend more time with characters. 

But IMO a lot of stories are still unfinished. As it was mentioned before Veronica herself might not stay PI forever, she could upgrade her career (become a detective, an FBI agent or perhaps an ADA), there is the question of Keith - his relationship with Veronica and perhaps his romantic life (does he still love awful Lianne?), perhaps we could find out more about Wallace's and Mac's romantic life too.

Logan is a solder now. I want him to stay alive, but I could predict (another) PTSD after combat. How will he (and Veronica) cope with it? Will he be able to overcome it? Will they have family etc? Duncan might return too. 

I would also like to see, how they will resolve Madison/Mac switch at birth. IMO Veronica's rape must be addressed again - including Dick's and Madison's part in it. 

• Love 2

Somehow I'm just coming across this talk of a six episode limited run.  I'd totally be on board with more VM in any shape or form.  I love these characters and relish the thought of spending more time with them.  Except for Duncan.  I thought he was a bland bore when he was on the show so I don't much care what he's up to now. 

• Love 1

Kristen Bell on Seth Meyers last week. Most of the interview is about what she planned to celebrate Dax's sobriety anniversary, but they start talking about Veronica Mars around the 3:30 mark. She said they are going to begin shooting on November 5th in Los Angeles. She also has a gross story about the Neptune High bathroom set they used in S1-S2.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 2:34 AM, VCRTracking said:

Great article. Veronica Mars is such a part of pop culture now. She even gets referenced on other TV shows. 

Why didn't this popularity translate into higher ratings when the show was on? 😟

From the article:

Thomas: In the original opening, Veronica, sitting in front of the Camelot hotel in this world-weary voiceover, talks about how she’s never going to get married. She’s staking out a seedy motel at two in the morning with a trig book on her lap. A motorcycle gang drives up and surrounds the car. I was so proud of that opening. I loved that opening. Then Moonves said, “It’s a high-school show. It should start in a high school.” So instead, it’s Veronica driving into a parking lot with this clumsy voiceover…. It always breaks my heart when I see it on TV.

I believe this is the version on the DVD. It's the one I always watch and and the version I showed to my kids.

Capra: We got so many young women coming to the Bloomingdale’s in New York. They had to shut it down. That was a big boost to my ego. I was making sexy faces in the mirror for six months straight after that.

It was Macy's, and I was there!!!  Great day. 

Edited by topanga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I liked these articles from writers who look at season 4's ending both critically and as fans (the Vox article is especially enjoyable because it includes a handful of quotes from Television Without Pity's boards):

We Used to Be Friends: The bombshell ending to Veronica Mars’ fourth season might be the point where I say goodbye

Why the ending of the Veronica Mars revival was so shocking: To understand the Veronica Mars finale, you have to understand the Veronica Mars fandom

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I like the Vox article mostly because the writer notes that she respects the writers' decision and doesn't act like a fangirl who's been wronged.

TBH I think Rob made a huge mistake when he got so involved with the fandom way back in season 1 (man, the TWoP forums were insane; I miss those days). It quickly soured over seasons 2 and 3, but clearly the fans were still there -- the Kickstarter proved it. Unfortunately, it seems people think they still own the show after giving to the Kickstarter.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, WaitandHope said:

They really need to stop talking. All they’re are doing is showing their own lack of imagination and they keep insulting the viewers. I particularly hated this part:

"When we fell in love with her at her low point, that gave us a place to watch her rise and it tells you a lot about a person when they're not in a good place. Do you really want to watch a bunch of seasons of happy, blissful domestic Veronica?"

"It's just not Veronica. She's not going to wind up in this happy life, unfortunately," Ruggiero-Wright continued. "That's how the trajectory of her life is and I think it felt true to what [creator Rob Thomas] wants to do, hopefully, in the future with her: break her down and build her back up again. It's also very noir and it's, in respect to Rob, good storytelling."

First of all it’s a classic straw man argument. No one is asked for a blissfully happy Veronica. And if they can only write broken and alone that is their flaw as writers. 

Second when did they ever build her up? That’s certainly not what happened this season. It was a very rushed happy moment just to kneecap the characters and the fans five minutes later. That’s not good storytelling. 

Edited by Guest
29 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I like the Vox article mostly because the writer notes that she respects the writers' decision and doesn't act like a fangirl who's been wronged.

TBH I think Rob made a huge mistake when he got so involved with the fandom way back in season 1 (man, the TWoP forums were insane; I miss those days). It quickly soured over seasons 2 and 3, but clearly the fans were still there -- the Kickstarter proved it. Unfortunately, it seems people think they still own the show after giving to the Kickstarter.

This!

I hate how season four ended. But I am seeing people tweeting that they got ripped off and they want their money back. Hey, we got the movie. That's what the money was for. Season four was financed by Hulu, not fans. 

It's embarrassing (and again, I hate what happened). 

• Love 4

I also remember when RT was active on TWOP. And I’ve always felt guilty when criticizing any of his shows. And I really hope he doesn’t read here. Although I suppose there is no getting away from social media at this point.

(Rob, if you’re reading ... Sorry. The internet sucks. Including me. Keep making television.)

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, kieyra said:

I also remember when RT was active on TWOP. And I’ve always felt guilty when criticizing any of his shows. And I really hope he doesn’t read here. Although I suppose there is no getting away from social media at this point.

You got quoted by the author of this one. It's crazy to look back on those old pages from TWoP. I read the VM forums but I don't think I ever posted in there. I was such a lurker back in those days.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, festivus said:

You got quoted by the author of this one. It's crazy to look back on those old pages from TWoP. I read the VM forums but I don't think I ever posted in there. I was such a lurker back in those days.

Oh good God. Lately I’d been hoping even those old wayback cached versions would become less reliable. 😕 This is one of my only consistent internet identities that goes back that far, and I was younger and dumber and way less “woke” for a lot of it. *cringe*

(I also wrote a lot of VM fic, including a few LoVe pieces just to prove I could. I had a couple of popular ones. I had no idea RT read fic, as I’ve picked up recently elsewhere.)

ETA: I read my whole post from 14 years ago. At least it looks like I was trying to gut check why I disliked him so much. It’s still weird. There have been plenty of other “gray” TV characters I’ve come around on. I guess I never got over how vividly malicious he was at first.

ETA2: Thinking about it even more, I think I was just resentful that it was a rare show with a snarky, cynical female protagonist (with whom I identified), but the focus, at least among fandom, was constantly being pulled to a male love interest instead of her. And a “jerk”-archetype love interest, no less. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, kieyra said:

(I also wrote a lot of VM fic, including a few LoVe pieces just to prove I could. I had a couple of popular ones. I had no idea RT read fic, as I’ve picked up recently elsewhere.)

He shouldn’t read fanfiction of his stories. There’s the problem. 

(edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 9:04 PM, krankydoodle said:

liked these articles from writers who look at season 4's ending both critically and as fans (the Vox article is especially enjoyable because it includes a handful of quotes from Television Without Pity's boards):

Loved the Vox article. Two of my favourite things, VM and the dearly beloved TWOP, discussed in the same place. 

I enjoyed the discussion of the fandom, the influence of which I'm seeing strongly in the episode threads here. And I smiled to hear that RT actually changed scripts according to what he read on TWOP. 

It reminded me of getting so excited finding out that actors in The Office read my favourite thread on TWOP, about The Office. They read my posts! 

Then there was the time on the My Name is Earl thread that we had a mystery poster who ended up being mentioned on My Name is Earl. I think it was one of their writers. It was surreal and I was bizarrely excited. 

Good times, good times. The strength of my nostalgia reminds me of how intense the love was for VM back then among us posters and lurkers. 

That said, my sacrilegious opinion is that while I loved VM then, and love season 4 intensely, I'm perfectly fine with how it ended and can't wait for a season 5. 

Not mad at all! Bring it on! 

ETA, Excellent, insightful article by Linda Holmes. Thanks, krankydoodle. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 6