Type keyword(s) to search

Veronica Mars in the Media

• Start Topic

There's a lot of vitriol in the comments section to that article.  I'm a little disappointed but not surprised that any 5th season will be a ways out, since that is how this show has been since the third season cancellation.  Lots of things in the air, but taking years to come together.  I would be more surprised if they were moving seamlessly into more episodes.  There's a lot of anger that the other main original characters, such as Wallace, Weevil, Mac, (and honestly, I'm not sure who else...?) weren't featured more, but the reality is that it has been a lot of years for them too, and they have lives going on outside this particular show.  I think it was something of a feat to get as much of them as they did.

Oh, you mean that Hulu isnt lining up to produce another season of a show that literally blew up its original premise, where the show runner did a million interviews telling fans that the show they loved was a dumb teen show?!? I am shocked, shocked I say!

But for real, I cant say that I was that excited about the prospect of a Veronica Mars without Logan, Keith, Mac, Weevill, Wallace, and Neptune in general that is just focused on mysteries and not relationships or characters. I am sad that the season four finale is where the whole show apparently ends though. 

• Love 12
On 11/13/2019 at 8:37 PM, blondiec0332 said:

So they killed Logan for nothing. 

That’s what annoyed me the most about this whole thing. Thomas took the huge risk of killing a main character and change the show completely without a confirmation that Hulu was going to want more episodes.

How many fans would’ve complained about Season 4 ending with Logan still alive? Why risk angering fans for nothing? Out of pure unenlightened spite apparently.

There were so many other story options. Season 5 (whenever that would’ve been) could’ve started with him being dead and Veronica trying to find out what happened.

• Love 6

Agreed, killed Logan for nothing. I know I shouldn't be but Kristen and Rob didn't liked LOVE, didn't think he was as huge part appeal of the show. And they ended up with nothing. For me it's justice and I'm going to pretend Logan survived.

• Love 4

I hope this is the correct place to post this.

Fans who were unhappy with Veronica Mars season four participated in/made a short documentary. It's called, Broken Fandom: Veronica Mars. It was spearheaded by whoever runs the Twitter account VMDocumentary20, which released it on Christmas Eve.

Here it is on YouTube.

I watched (it's about a half hour long), but even though I was dissatisfied with VM s4 and don't really care whether there is a fifth season, I found it really off-putting.

A total of four fans (I think) participated on camera. In addition, it features tweets (or texts or parts of emails -- some text-based stuff) from other fans. 

I think it would have benefitted from waiting until they got more fans to take part and/or trying to find some fans who would talk on camera, in a group. This was just like a bunch of extended talking-head-segments (like the confessionals on The Office).

One fan, identified as "Dr Lightning" made a text contribution which reads:

1325320721_ScreenShot2019-12-27at12_38_19PM.thumb.png.798a074aa50d4633c81297d13c7bcaf9.png

I mean, "We're going to band together to destroy him now"??? WTF? That's just sick.

Also, at least one or two of the text submissions made claims that the VM fandom had always been drama-free, and free from shipper b.s. (my phrasing). I've made good friends in the VM fandom, but that's not at all true. 

I wish I hadn't watched it. If anyone else does, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Love 1
On 12/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, General Days said:

I hope this is the correct place to post this.

Fans who were unhappy with Veronica Mars season four participated in/made a short documentary. It's called, Broken Fandom: Veronica Mars. It was spearheaded by whoever runs the Twitter account VMDocumentary20, which released it on Christmas Eve.

Here it is on YouTubeOne fan, identified as "Dr Lightning" made a text contribution which reads:

1325320721_ScreenShot2019-12-27at12_38_19PM.thumb.png.798a074aa50d4633c81297d13c7bcaf9.png

I mean, "We're going to band together to destroy him now"??? WTF? That's just sick.

Also, at least one or two of the text submissions made claims that the VM fandom had always been drama-free, and free from shipper b.s. (my phrasing). I've made good friends in the VM fandom, but that's not at all true. 

I wish I hadn't watched it. If anyone else does, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I lurked after the season 4 release, but forgot about the documentary. I would have hoped for something better balanced, this is sanitized and propaganda and dull. Yeah there is that dorsal fin...

There was a lot of toxic rhetoric in the fandom. I’m thinking one of the advantages of taking to Discord is you can erase/rename threads., so a lot has disappeared. There was and is a hostility towards Rob thomas and Kristen Bell for not treating Logan and Jason Dohring right.  Also campaigns to swamp season 5 and celebrations when it was cancelled. 

i believe tht one mistake the show rummersmade was trying to give fans what they wanted (a way to continue in the fanfiction world) while Veronica was snapped out of her crippling codependence (see wikipedia article—it is like the show bible for her).  

MAM sounds a lot more reasonable if you don’t know the essential irony, that the organizers fanfiction pounds Veronica with trauma to get her together with Logan. I had to stop reading it.   Most people aren't going to read it, though, and it could theoretically do some good. 

There was a lot of toxic rhetoric in the fandom. I’m thinking one of the advantages of taking to Discord is you can erase/rename threads., so a lot has disappeared. There was and is a hostility towards Rob thomas and Kristen Bell for not treating Logan and Jason Dohring right.  Also campaigns to swamp season 5 and celebrations when it was cancelled. 

I really hope some of these people spend that much time and energy campaigning on real world issues as well...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

I really hope some of these people spend that much time and energy campaigning on real world issues as well...

They did encourage people To, while not watch ingthe show on Hulu, to contribute to the charity Hulu was backing for hits. Also they advertise for the causes of their favored actors. 
trying to destroy a show because you don’t like the directionit is going is problematic because you don’t have to watch it. Imo

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Affogato said:

[...]

There was and is a hostility towards Rob thomas and Kristen Bell for not treating Logan and Jason Dohring right.  Also campaigns to swamp season 5 and celebrations when it was cancelled. 

i believe tht one mistake the show rummersmade was trying to give fans what they wanted (a way to continue in the fanfiction world) while Veronica was snapped out of her crippling codependence (see wikipedia article—it is like the show bible for her).  

MAM sounds a lot more reasonable if you don’t know the essential irony, that the organizers fanfiction pounds Veronica with trauma to get her together with Logan. I had to stop reading it.   Most people aren't going to read it, though, and it could theoretically do some good. 

I had no desire for there to be a fifth season, but I can't stand when disgruntled fans push for or celebrate cancelation. If a person stops watching, the show is canceled for them. A show cancelation puts a lot of people out of work and disappoints the fans who want to keep watching. 

I'm having a little trouble following what you mean in the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs I quoted  above.

How did the showrunner give fans a way to continue in in the fanfic world (at least any new way that didn't exist prior to season 4)? Also, what Wikipedia article are you talking about -- the one for the series, the season, the character or something else?

Finally, what is MAM? EDIT: Oh wait, it is "Marshmallows Against Misogyny."  Yeah. No they're not. 

8 hours ago, Affogato said:

They did encourage people To, while not watch ingthe show on Hulu, to contribute to the charity Hulu was backing for hits. Also they advertise for the causes of their favored actors. 
trying to destroy a show because you don’t like the directionit is going is problematic because you don’t have to watch it. Imo

The documentary quote for which I provided a screenshot above didn't even just talk about destroying the show. It talked about destroying "him," i.e. Rob Thomas. It was revolting.

9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I was going to say, "Me too," but maybe we're screwed up enough without adding them to the mix. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 2
On 12/30/2019 at 8:53 PM, General Days said:

I had no desire for there to be a fifth season, but I can't stand when disgruntled fans push for or celebrate cancelation. If a person stops watching, the show is canceled for them. A show cancelation puts a lot of people out of work and disappoints the fans who want to keep watching. 

I'm having a little trouble following what you mean in the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs I quoted  above.

How did the showrunner give fans a way to continue in in the fanfic world (at least any new way that didn't exist prior to season 4)? Also, what Wikipedia article are you talking about -- the one for the series, the season, the character or something else?

Finally, what is MAM? EDIT: Oh wait, it is "Marshmallows Against Misogyny."  Yeah. No they're not. 

The documentary quote for which I provided a screenshot above didn't even just talk about destroying the show. It talked about destroying "him," i.e. Rob Thomas. It was revolting.

I was going to say, "Me too," but maybe we're screwed up enough without adding them to the mix. 

Yeah, sorry I’m not clear. My fault.

Wikipedia article on codependency. The way Veronica dealt with trauma. Since she didn’t get therapy when she broke away at the end of season 3 she continues to relive it. Why she is the way she is in season 4. Logan doesn’t need her to fix him anymore. What she needs from him is someone to fix. etc. i forgot why I brought it up. 

I think the writers made Logan in canon the character fans wanted in fanfiction.  Why the jack ryan nonsense otherwise? And they did have the actors act out some fanfiction. But maybe I’m wrong. Hard to explain. Still RT talked about a bet. I’m conjecturing he bet that the Logan fans would take superhero Logan and leave him messy unpleasant Veronica, who didn’t deserve poor, wonderful Logan anyway. 

The personal hated is scary because it is mostly venting but you never know if you are encouraging someone who is really crazy. There are a lot of really crazy people in the world and many of them have weapons. Apparently. If you read the news.