Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Bitchy Resting Face

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The Ohana crew struggles to pull off an elaborate and elegant ‘White Party’ for their charter guests, but they’re very worried the combined fury of an angry Mother Nature and an even angrier Kate may ruin everything.

Ben was right - Kate needed to acknowledge what she did, and apologize to the primary guest for everyone's sake - the guests, but also the rest of the crew. I also liked Ben's alternate resolution, since Kate was being so defensive - just say you saw the shape of the blanket, and say it must have been altered. At least she'd be acknowledging the stunt, although it's implicating someone else, which could still impact the tip.

• Love 4

Ben was right - Kate needed to acknowledge what she did, and apologize to the primary guest for everyone's sake - the guests, but also the rest of the crew. I also liked Ben's alternate resolution, since Kate was being so defensive - just say you saw the shape of the blanket, and say it must have been altered. At least she'd be acknowledging the stunt, although it's implicating someone else, which could still impact the tip.

Agree.  And state you made a rocket (ok.  We know that's not true but you do what you have to do to salvage what you can). 

Did she say that primary was gay?

• Love 1

Agree.  And state you made a rocket (ok.  We know that's not true but you do what you have to do to salvage what you can). 

Did she say that primary was gay?

Right. You made a mistake, so try to fix it. The primary guest actually seems kind of reasonable, for all his rigidness, so I think he'd accept the apology/explanation. And yes, Kate did say he was gay. #1 - I hope he's out; and #2 - regardless, that was a pretty offensive thing to say.

• Love 2

I just got caught up on this show this weekend and I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. For each episode, the charter guests' preferences that are shown briefly are listed in full on Bravo's website:

Guest Dossier: Dean Slover's Charter

For the older episodes it's a little hard to find, so you can just Google the name of the primary charter guest and "Bravo Below Deck Guest Dossier" to find them.

While I find Kate a little unwelcoming to the guests, it's really annoying me that for the last two episodes (everyone except Georgia and friends), I don't think I've heard one guest say "please" or "thank you". I just hear things like, "I'll take anther mojito", or "I need more water". I've never worked in the service industry in any capacity, but I think that is rude as hell. There isn't one time in my life that I haven't prefaced a request with "please" and then said "thank you" when the item was delivered. My kid has been doing the same ever since he could talk. I'd have a bitchy face too if I had to wait on people like these no class charter guests.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 14

I just got caught up on this show this weekend and I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. For each episode, the charter guests' preferences that are shown briefly are listed in full on Bravo's website:

For the older episodes it's a little hard to find, so you can just Google the name of the primary charter guest and "Bravo Below Deck Guest Dossier" to find them.

While I find Kate a little unwelcoming to the guests, it's really annoying me that for the last two episodes (everyone except Georgia and friends), I don't think I've heard one guest say "please" or "thank you". I just hear things like, "I'll take anther mojito", or "I need more water". I've never worked in the service industry in any capacity, but I think that is rude as hell. There isn't one time in my life that I haven't prefaced a request with "please" and then said "thank you" when the item was delivered. My kid has been doing the same ever since he could talk. I'd have a bitchy face too if I had to wait on people like these no class charter guests.

I've noticed that too, the charter guests are rude as fuck. I've never talked to someone in the service industry without a "please" and "thank you", but to quote Steel Magnolias, I was raised right. I think there is a certain type of person who is so wildly insecure that they actually get off on the idea that they can order people around if they are paying for a service. Oh the power! The delicious power that alows me to be rude to the Applebee's waitress because she's working for me! That kind of nonsense. I imagine this type of person is often the same type of person who thinks going in a reality show as the obnoxious guest is a grand idea.

• Love 11

I think the title of this episode shows this might be where it comes to a head.  I really hope the whole season isn't about Kate.  I will be incredibly bored if it is.

I completely agree. Then again, I'd also hate for the season to focus on Jenice & Kelley. I just do not buy their true love/soulmates story. More like a hook up of convenience or producer manipulation.

• Love 4
Jennice talking to everyone but Kelley about the kiss was annoying.

Agreed. I think some people commented on her immaturity previously and this showed that. On the other hand, the whole grab-and-kiss Kelley did was not cool. He seems pretty immature also.

Lots of drama going on in the preview. Jennice mentioned Kelley has some anger issues, which doesn't surprise me, but we haven't seen any yet, have we?

• Love 1

Every episode we have seen the captain doing some menial task, and never complaining about it: swabbing decks, washing dishes, holding on to the rope so the guests sunbathing on the trampoline don't float away.  Captain Lee is by far my favorite cast member.

• Love 10

Kate dodges a bullet; she should have been fired, you ask me.

Her attitude was ridiculous. The crew is there to make money; they're not her private posse. Disappointing. I thought she was more together than that.

Agreed. She was bitching and complaining 'til the end. I thought maybe she would have learned a lesson and acknowledged that her joke went too far. Or even if the guest didn't mind, she shouldn't risk the tip and blow it for everyone else. Something like that . Nope. Still whining that her crew values money over her. Fail.

• Love 4

Agreed. She was bitching and complaining 'til the end. I thought maybe she would have learned a lesson and acknowledged that her joke went too far. Or even if the guest didn't mind, she shouldn't risk the tip and blow it for everyone else. Something like that . Nope. Still whining that her crew values money over her. Fail.

I think we now know WHY Kate has a "bitchy resting face"....ummmm - maybe because she's a bitch??   Her bitchy resting face makes you wonder if that old adage that everyone's mother said about "Don't make that face - yours may freeze that way" is actually true!! 

I kind of liked her until this episode - she lied to her boss about something that could have jeopardized the entire crew's tip, and then, complained when they called her out on it.  Just because the lead passenger called her out on "looking bitchy" (which was wrong of him, admittedly), she retaliated, got caught and then denied and lied.  If she were working at any land establishment/hotel/resort and did something to retaliate against a guest/client, however innocuous, she would more than likely have been fired on the spot.

I don't think this is a good job for Kate - she seems envious of all the guests, all the time.

Although, I thought that this charter group was pretty demanding - especially handing over a bunch of dirty laundry/hand washables twelve hours before they docked, with the expectation of having everything cleaned, ironed and ready to pack. 

And, I really do also have to wonder if those tips they receive are actually from the guests, or from the production company?? 

• Love 5

Kate saying she "hates feeling like the help to somebody not as refined" as she, told me all I need to know about the snobby bitch. She thinks she's better than the guests and totally jealous of them.

Kate, you ARE the help to these people.

I just can't stand her. And she really needs to buy a hair brush.

As much as some of them annoyed me, I miss the old cast. I just don't care enougj about any of these new people to watch them.

They're boring.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

I agree. When she was first talking about it with Kat, I figured she was just trying to talk it out (especially since Kat wouldn't be the soul of discretion), but when she was using it to start a conversation with every cast member, I was just done. I liked when they were friends, but I'm definitely not interested in their flirty crap. You stated you've got people waiting for you back home. You're on TV. Don't be idiots.

I'm also total over Kate's "defense of her honor." Yes, it turned out that guest "loved it" (which I don't believe for a second) and they got a great tip (possibly given by production), but she didn't know that and the whole reason ANY of them are on that boat is to make the bananas tips charter guests give them. They've all been pretty open about that, including Kate. So I was not impressed that she thinks everyone's only in it for the money. The crew would have been on her side about the "bitchy" thing, but when she retaliates, then it makes them all look like immature idiots, so yeah, they're out.

I'm also confused why she doesn't have a standard "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm just concentrating on your service. Can I get you another drink?" response when people she's serving wonder why she's not smiling. I have Bitchy Resting Face as well, but I also have a "Flight Attendant" persona that I bring out when I have to deal with demanding people. Someone who works in that kind of customer service should be used to dealing with that complaint without resorting to childish behavior. Ugh.

• Love 4

I couldn't be bothered to read everyone's coffee/tea preferences but I did notice Dean requested sunblock as well as 'someone to apply it.' I thought that was pretty comical.

I completely agree. Then again, I'd also hate for the season to focus on Jenice & Kelley. I just do not buy their true love/soulmates story. More like a hook up of convenience or producer manipulation.

100% agree, I don't understand how he is just pining after her. Wow, look at Jenice, she squeegies the deck like a champ and she practices knots in her spare time. I've never seen anyone so sexy! I don't even see the friendship. I think they're bunkmates whose friendship is based on commiserating over the person they left on land. I don't think they talk about anything other than their bf/gf or Andrew's incompetence.

I thought Kat was going to throw a glass at her. She was so disinterested. I had a roommate like this in college. Anytime she even kissed a guy she had to hold court so everyone knew what happened and weighed in on her next move. By the time she talked to the guy, he had heard the story from everyone else.

Every episode we have seen the captain doing some menial task, and never complaining about it: swabbing decks, washing dishes, holding on to the rope so the guests sunbathing on the trampoline don't float away.  Captain Lee is by far my favorite cast member.

I love that! He almost looked glad to be holding the line for the guests on the raft instead of dealing with Kate in the interior. Last week he was blow drying the 'aged paper' for the pirate scavenger hunt that Kate rescinded.

• Love 1

The resolution of 'towel-gate' was a bit disappointing to me.  I thought Kate was more professional than that.  What she calls sticking up for herself, I see as sneaking around and playing a nasty prank.  Sticking up for yourself would have her address The Primary in private saying that his prior comments should have been brought up to her in private so as not to make her feel as if she was being dressed down in front of all the guests.

Didn't the crew just meet her two weeks ago?  I don't know if she's earned the loyalty that she feels entitled to.

• Love 6

And Kate comparing her situation with Bens was ridiculous.  Ben went up to the client and confronted them about the plastic in the food.  He may not have been as polite as he normally would be it was hard to tell with the editing and all.  Kate on the other hand got mad and instead of talking to the primary she did the "rocket ship" towel (you could tell she was freaked that that captain saw a picture of it and knew that blew her defense that it was mistaken for a penis!) passive aggressive bullshit. 

And why did Kelley force kiss Jennice?  That felt and looked so awkward and forced.  I call producer manipulation on that one.  It just came out of no where so I see Jennice's point but she does need to talk to Kelley about it and not everyone else.   

• Love 5

And Kate comparing her situation with Bens was ridiculous.  Ben went up to the client and confronted them about the plastic in the food.  He may not have been as polite as he normally would be it was hard to tell with the editing and all.  Kate on the other hand got mad and instead of talking to the primary she did the "rocket ship" towel (you could tell she was freaked that that captain saw a picture of it and knew that blew her defense that it was mistaken for a penis!) passive aggressive bullshit. 

And why did Kelley force kiss Jennice?  That felt and looked so awkward and forced.  I call producer manipulation on that one.  It just came out of no where so I see Jennice's point but she does need to talk to Kelley about it and not everyone else.   

I don't understand the force kiss either and agree that it's producer manipulation. Either that or Kelley thought it would come off as "romantic". Does Eddie have any authority over the deck crew? I was under the impression that as Bosun, he would be their immediate supervisor. But that's speculation on my part. Anyway, I realize Jennice and Kelley are young(er) but a superior would be the last person I'd want to know about it. Not that I'd want anyone to know. You know there are no secrets kept on that boat.

Also, I think the penis towel was producer manipulation or at least the Primary's response to it. I don't believe for a second that he thought it was funny unless we didn't see all the interaction between him and Kate. Even then I don't think it would fly and it certainly wouldn't have earned them a better tip. Just my opinion.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 2

I cracked up over the "Next week on..."   "Ooh, it's the devil!  Let me swim away.

Kate needs to get over herself.  No one is there to back her up - they are all there for one reason - to make money for doing a job well.

• Love 6

I think Kate either got turned down by the primary or did him and he wasn't interest in a follow up.  She just seemed way too heated up over the smile stuff.  She does have a bitchy resting face-maybe a couple extra pounds will keep her from looking so drawn.

• Love 3

Why is it offensive to say someone is gay?  If a person said, "so and so is black," is that offensive?Why is it offensive to say someone is gay?  If a person said, "so and so is black," is that offensive?

I think it might have been offensive because Kate said something to the tune of, "Well, the Charter guest is gay, so he likes penis, so therefore he'll probably like the towel art." I'm gay and I sure as hell would've been offended by someone putting a penis symbol on my stuff and then saying they expected me to like it because I'm gay.

It's weird that a guy that good-looking is that awkward about girls. Jennice is pretty young(I'd say 22 at most), but Kelley is like 26 and a combat veteran so the bashful immaturity felt pretty weird. I think Jennice wanted the romantic movement there but was bothered that Kelley didn't deliver it like that.

Has anyone else noticed that the tips seem better this year? Probably because the charter guests don't want to be bitched about being "cheap" like the ones were last year.

Kate's a bitch but I gotta say she's really livened things up on Below Deck.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

For having a military background Kelley is being very unprofessional with his on the job conduct with Jennice, he really should know better, plus I don't really get what he see's in her, she kind of reminds me of dry toast.

• Love 1

Whatever your thoughts might be on Kate and her demeanor, her Bravo blog this week is a must read. I think her efforts are lost on the sea, she'd make a decent TV recapper one day.

It felt like a huge stroke of genius had come over me and the result was now proudly on display on Dean’s duvet. Maybe it was a ballsy move, but I never thought everyone would get such a rise out of my handiwork. It wasn’t a long or hard process to erect my rocket ship blanket. Actually, of all my blanket folds that was one of the easiest -- a real quickie! Part of me meant it to be a joke, a gag gift for my charter guest soul mate. I knew Dean would appreciate my blanket fold as much as I did. I mean, after all I was one of his bitches now! Obviously that was a term of endearment, because there was no way anyone would ever say that in an actually serious way to someone serving them on a boat for the next three days. Dean and I were just on that level now -- homies, buddies, amigos, best beotches foreva.

You can read the rest on Bravo's website

Edited by rho
  • Love 7

She's such a fucking liar. She did it because she was pissed that somebody called her out for being the bitch that she is.

I don't think her blog is must read because she's full of shit.

And she's not nearly as cute or clever in her blog as she seems to think she is.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 6

I think it might have been offensive because Kate said something to the tune of, "Well, the Charter guest is gay, so he likes penis, so therefore he'll probably like the towel art." I'm gay and I sure as hell would've been offended by someone putting a penis symbol on my stuff and then saying they expected me to like it because I'm gay.

It's weird that a guy that good-looking is that awkward about girls. Jennice is pretty young(I'd say 22 at most), but Kelley is like 26 and a combat veteran so the bashful immaturity felt pretty weird. I think Jennice wanted the romantic movement there but was bothered that Kelley didn't deliver it like that.

Has anyone else noticed that the tips seem better this year? Probably because the charter guests don't want to be bitched about being "cheap" like the ones were last year.

I hope Jennice and Kelly don't procreate-they both have quite the set of ears.  I would feel sorry for their children.  Personally I think Kelly and Jennice had probabky hit it before that and just acted stupid and clumsy on camera.  They sure seem to be chummy in their bunks.

Whatever your thoughts might be on Kate and her demeanor, her Bravo blog this week is a must read. I think her efforts are lost on the sea, she'd make a decent TV recapper one day.

You can read the rest on Bravo's website

Kate seems to pride herself in being the master of the double entendre and verbal quips.  I hope it works out for her in her next housekeeping position. 

• Love 4

Anyone know why I can't quote just one paragraph? I meant to highlight the part about Kelley being immature with girls, esp. for someone so good-looking. Very true. He seems to be someone with some "issues" underneath. Just the way his sister Amy coddles him and his awkwardness around Jennice. He gets so giddy talking about her and they had just met. He reminds me of some 18 year old guy who lost his virginity recently and is ready to pounce on the next female he sees. And talking about his strong feelings for Jennice and "soulmates" and all? Puh-leeze.

It looks like Jennice may have discovered that Kelley a) drinks too much and b) is a mean drunk. We haven't seen anything YET but she inexplicably seems to have cooled towards him and then the previews show him getting drunk and mad. I also got a feeling from him when he was talking to Amy about their parent's divorce and started crying and she was reassuring him. Something seemed a little off.

The Adrienne thing is such a producer set-up but by now I guess I realize that this whole show is totally scripted.

Do Ben and Kat REALLY jump each other?? Wow. I thought Ben was in love with his girlfriend back home. I'm not surprised about Kat-she is always on the prowl to get laid. I guess I knew Ben would eventually give in to the temptation. How long are they out at sea anyway?

• Love 1

Kate's apology to the primary guest was horrible. She should've just been an adult and said "I'm sorry" and not tried to explain it away as some sort of misunderstanding about the banter between guest and crew. Bitchy resting face is also a horrible excuse for someone who is in a customer facing job. Learn to smile and look pleasant, it is part of your job.

The deckhands do seem to sit around the crew mess a lot of the time. I'm sure they work hard, but I bet their schedules are just different from the stews. I'm a flight attendant and we have the same issue with pilots, our busy times are just very different. They bug us when we're trying to serve passengers.

Eddie is awesome, jumping right in and helping make pizza. He's got a really amazing attitude.

The kiss was just stupid. Are Kelley and Jennice in jr. high? A run by kissing?

Kelley and Jennice are so boring. The show keeps trying to get me to care about some dumb kiss, but I just want them both to get off my screen and go cheat on their bf/gfs somewhere else. 

And I knew the deckhand people were all going to sit there and complain about how much work they had to do, despite spending all the previous episodes bitching about wanting Andrew fired. You got what you wanted, people! If you wanted somebody else to swab the f**king deck for you, shouldn't have griped about Andrew so much!

Towelgate was total producer manipulation. Especially the "oh no will Dean care or not?!?!?!" but then he thought it was funny. Way too much time spent on those producer-created shenanigans in this episode. 

And yeah, what was with Dean requesting someone to apply his sunscreen for him? What about his own "friends" he brought with him!

• Love 2

I meant to highlight the part about Kelley being immature with girls, esp. for someone so good-looking. Very true. He seems to be someone with some "issues" underneath.

He's just furthered my belief from episode one, that something is seriously off with him even though I can't really say what.

Dean Slover's dossier seemed fine- not nearly as picky as I would have thought going on by the way Ben bitched about them.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Dean Slover's dossier seemed fine- not nearly as picky as I would have thought going on by the way Ben bitched about them.

That seems to be the main theme this season, bitching about the charter guests.  I don't remember so much bitching last season.  They actually understood the guest was the client and paying big bucks for this experience and it was their JOB to make it happen.  And not begrudgingly but with a smile on their face if they wanted a good tip.  This year it seems to be a contest as who can piss off, be rude to or talk about the most behind the charter guests backs.  The whole attitude of the boat has changed. 

And maybe they should have kept Andrew for this charter considering all the extra toys this group required .  Now that would have been a job Andrew could have done without putting the boat and crew in jeopardy.  I thought of him every time they had to pull out another toy for the guests to play on.

That said, getting rid of Andrew did not cut their bitching down at all.  It went from "Andrew this and Andrew that" to "We are a man down and we do so much work and did I mention we were a man down?".

• Love 4

I was surprised Captain Lee didn't IMMEDIATELY apologize the minute Dean told him about the blanket. He just said quietly "I'll look into that." but it seemed that more was needed there.

I was also surprised Eddie wasn't a bit more alarmed/taking it more seriously that Jennice said Kelley kissed her with a look of disgust. That's some grounds for sexual harassment in any other workplace. Then I remembered it's all scripted anyway. Lol.

It's amusing to me though that they're going to have her be turned off by him suddenly and not all into the boat soulmates fantasy romance. 

I'm pretty sure every single moment was producer-driven. However, Kate's spoiled peevishness is entirely real. She's completely over being a working yachtie and is annoyed that she isn't lolling about the deck as a paying customer. Or, rather, as the guest of a paying customer.

• Love 2

I was also surprised Eddie wasn't a bit more alarmed/taking it more seriously that Jennice said Kelley kissed her with a look of disgust. That's some grounds for sexual harassment in any other workplace. Then I remembered it's all scripted anyway. Lol.

It's amusing to me though that they're going to have her be turned off by him suddenly and not all into the boat soulmates fantasy romance. 

Now we can have bunk roommate draaaaammmmaaaaaa 

I'm pretty sure every single moment was producer-driven. However, Kate's spoiled peevishness is entirely real. She's completely over being a working yachtie and is annoyed that she isn't lolling about the deck as a paying customer. Or, rather, as the guest of a paying customer.

Yes, Kate's life ambition is to land one of those rich primary guests and soon be one of the guests herself, lounging on the deck and ordering Mojitos of her own. One problem: she doesn't just have bitchy resting face, she IS a bitch. Even when chatting with Captain Lee she has that ice cold demeanor.

And Kate constantly talking about how "refined" she is and above the charter guests. She reminds me of a friend I have. My friend is single at age 42 and has always been very materialistic, would only date (and marry) a very certain type of rich guy. Thus, she's still alone and likely will stay that way. I see the same for Kate. At least my friend has a fun personality though! Also, Kate, please gain 10 lbs. You look absolutely anorexic.

Edited by Sage47

Thanks for the link.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1

Anyone know why I can't quote just one paragraph?

I don't know how others do it, but after I hit the "reply to one quoted post" button, I just put my cursor inside the "quote box" and delete everything except the part I want.  There's probably an easier way but, honey, I'm old!  It's a wonder I can work this touchscreen laptop at all.

• Love 2

Oh, thanks technorebel! Initially I could just quote a paragraph, now don't seem able to. And I had tried doing what you said myself, deleting things in the quoted box but my cursor won't go to that spot. Ah well.... Thank you for helping me anyway!

Kelley seems like a lost soul. He said he went into the miltary, then didn't know what to do when he came out and his sister Amy suggested joining her on yachts. In other words he's aimless. The drive-by kiss was him just trying to get a kiss on camera to start up a "storyline" with Jennice. I know he truly likes her but he also saw an opening to make a talked-about moment on camera.

But what is with him then running out of there after kissing her? That seemed so juvenile and was such a turn off. He's way too old to be kissing and running away.

• Love 2

Sometimes you get this delayed maturity thing from guys in the service because they've spent too much time with other young guys like themselves and haven't really worked on their social skills.  Kind of like spending a lot of time in a frat house.  As an Army brat myself, I dated a lot of guys just like him.

• Love 2

Sometimes you get this delayed maturity thing from guys in the service because they've spent too much time with other young guys like themselves and haven't really worked on their social skills.  Kind of like spending a lot of time in a frat house.  As an Army brat myself, I dated a lot of guys just like him.

That's interesting, technorebel, and makes me cut Kelly a sliver of slack.

(I wonder if all T#he Singles Project people just recently got their discharge papers?)

• Love 1

Is it okay to refer to the previews here, or in the upcoming ep thread?  Spoiler tag?

Eddie catching sight of Adrienne, whipping aboutface and swimming like hell for the nearest getaway boat is hysterical!  It's like there's a little cartoon puff of smoke left in the spot where he was standing.

• Love 3