Type keyword(s) to search

Robert Garrison Brown - RIP

Message added by Mod-Tranquilizer,

This thread is for sharing condolences and honoring Robert Garrison Brown's memory.

Please don't post any speculation about the police investigation, who attended the funeral or other questions and comments about family members, such posts will be removed.

• Start Topic

Kids on reality shows do seem to be becoming less of a thing. Producers and parents are more aware. Real Housewives, for example, was full of the offspring back in the day and they were very much part of the storyline but we barely see the kids now. However, there does need to be some sort of protection for them.

In the wider world, family vlog YouTubers scare the life out of me. There are a lot of them making big money by selling their kids' privacy with zero oversight.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
(edited)

The group text from Garrison, which is assumed to be to show employees read, "I want to hate you for sharing the good times. But I can't. I miss these days.".

Edited by ginger90
  • Sad 6
43 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Why am I so terribly sad about a 25 year old that I never met who died? 

I don't know, but I am.

I've been asking myself that question for 2 days now and I think there are two big reasons.  One is that we've watched these kids grow up for years now on TV and have come to care about them more with time, and another is that Garrison in particular seemed to symbolize everything that was right about the Brown kids in general so his loss feels particularly hurtful.  We felt that despite what was going on with his parents, he was evidence that there was hope for the future for this family.

Over the years we have marveled at how well many of the Brown kids have seemed to come out in spite of the often toxic dysfunction going on in their parents' marriages and divorces.  We even entitled a thread in that honor here.  We credited that largely to their mothers even as the Kodouche seemed to work against it.  Now we are forced to see that some of that was on the surface and that if Garrison was in enough pain to commit suicide, his ever more toxic family situation and TV exposure might have had something to do with it, and he might not be the only child in that family to be suffering on those accounts.  Facing that is only all the more hurtful and disheartening.  This is not to blame the mothers, because there is often only so much a parent can do if there are other factors at play that they are not able to control.

• Like 10
  • Love 7
(edited)
19 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I don't want to believe anything TMZ says about this, and it's not for them to report - but of course this is their bread and butter.  I don't want to hear the misery leading up to whatever happened.  I feel like I am a giant hypocrite because I have gleefully watched and commented on this show since the beginning, but somehow it feels extremely invasive for anyone other than his own family to lay out the private details of his final moments.  Like others have said, we didn't know him, but we've watched him grow up.  It's all very hard.

This is where I'm at with this. At some level, I feel that all of us who have watched for years and gleefully consumed all the tea about this family are culpable. I loved Garrison's dressing down of Kody last season in particular. So we got our entertainment at the expense of another family's pain, and I don't know how to reconcile that. I know that the family's adults ultimately made the decision to be on TV, but they would have been off the air years ago if none of us watched. So I don't feel I personally have the right to mourn when I didn't know Garrison and got my entertainment from watching his family's troubles.

I will also say how haunting it is that Kody said something like, "There will be other Christmases" in regards to the family being all split up. Not anymore, there won't be. I can't imagine the intense regret of missing so many of Garrison's few years.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Like 13
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
  • Love 7
Just now, monagatuna said:

Cosigning this. For some, suicide is the only escape. Labeling them as "selfish," "impulsive," or "giving up" is unnecessarily cruel and helps no one. I'm really relieved to not see such invectives in this forum. Just sympathy, kindness and wishes for healing. That's how it should be.

I don't know any of you, but I'm glad you're here.

I don’t think that at all. I am sorry if my words made anyone feel that way.

I could certainly understand if loved ones FELT it was preventable, or asked why, wondered if they could’ve done something etc. But of course it is not anyone’s fault. Those thoughts are only human and are a part of the grieving process. I have nothing but sympathy and kindness for Garrison’s loved ones. I wouldn’t wish such a thing on any human. 

• Like 11
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/sister-wives-cast-continuing-to-film-after-garrisons-death/

I hope they are not really filming this week. And if they are filming, I hope they are not having any of the kids (adult or minor) film. I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch if they decide to show the aftermath of this tragedy. It's too exploitive.

If anyone WANTS to film, if they want to talk about their feelings for their own process or for awareness/prevention I think that is their right. I would only hope their desire is sincere and not based on monetary pressures or a sense of family duty. 

The only person I would keep away from the cameras is Truely given she’s so young (and Solomon & Arielle as well)- but if Savannah on up want to say something that’s up to them to decide. I have never been in that sort of position so I would only support whatever they wanted to do. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 16
5 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/sister-wives-cast-continuing-to-film-after-garrisons-death/

I hope they are not really filming this week. And if they are filming, I hope they are not having any of the kids (adult or minor) film. I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch if they decide to show the aftermath of this tragedy. It's too exploitive.

Are they able to say " No we are not going to film" ? I am sure they have a contract saying they must have a certain amount of filming days ( oddly worded I know but could not hink of better words) that must be completed in a definite time frame.  They may also feel filming at this time my help other families who have gone through this. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think that at all. I am sorry if my words made anyone feel that way.

I could certainly understand if loved ones FELT it was preventable, or asked why, wondered if they could’ve done something etc. But of course it is not anyone’s fault. Those thoughts are only human and are a part of the grieving process. I have nothing but sympathy and kindness for Garrison’s loved ones. I wouldn’t wish such a thing on any human. 

Not at all--I was not pointing out anyone in particular but rather the words that fly around when people understandably try to rationalize an action that seems irrational to them. I don't think anyone in these forums are engaging in such talk, and I'm relieved about it.

• Like 8
On 3/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, MsMalin said:

Honestly, after this, I don't see how the show can continue. The last 2 seasons were very ugly. Many things were said publicly that can't be taken back.  It had to be humiliating for the children to watch and add to that all of the public scrutiny and remarks. I hope for his sake that Kody and the boys did reestablish a relationship. This is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I agree.  I usually have this show on the background while cleaning and whatnot.  I cannot bring myself to turn it on.  

• Like 4
On 3/6/2024 at 9:05 AM, oliviabenson said:

I’m afraid this will be a season long storyline. TLC will milk this tragedy for ratings… Kody and wife R will participate.

Huge mistake

• Like 7
22 hours ago, ladyscorpio said:

I agree, it's so hard to watch Gabe and Garrison hurting so deeply and trying to make amends with Kody, only to be rejected over and over. My heart breaks for Gabe and all of Kody's kids that he abandoned. On the Daily Mail website there was a story that says " a source" told them that Robyn is the most upset about this in the family and it really makes me mad. They don't name the source, but if it's Robyn or Kody, that is disgusting that they would try to make even this tragedy about her. It's not hard to believe that it would be her, because she makes every situation about her. I don't know how or if this will change anything with Kody, but I hope he will apologize and make amends with all his children and tell them how much he loves them, and includes them in his life going forward. 

WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCK???!!!!!  More upset than say Janelle?  Or Gabe?  Or Christine??  Or other siblings?  Go fuck off Robyn.  Who knows where the family would be if she hadn't joined them or hadn't insisted HER family was safer without Garrison and Gabe around.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

While Mykelti vague-posts about how she is going to be away from social media for awhile, but will be back to explain.  To each their own, but it doesn't surprise me.

This needs context to be fair, so I'm adding it. 

Before the tragedy, Mykelti had previously scheduled a Live for Tuesday, March 5th. She generally does a live every Tuesday evening. It's absolutely content subscribers were expecting, prior to Garrison's passing. She had posted a link to it on March 4th.

Tuesday, she posted a 1-minute video from the road saying something was going on with people close to her and Tony, so they were heading out of town and were canceling the live, and pausing their activity for a while.

Of course it was "vague." She couldn't say where she was going or why, and if she had, she would have been eaten alive by the fandom. She also mentioned we might see some previously filmed and scheduled content show up on the Patreon.

I'm sure she mentioned that last bit, so that once the news of Garrison's death broke, there wouldn't be a million accusatory replies saying, "How can you post about Big Love, tabloid journalism, and make videos about the Becoming Sister Wives book, after your brother died?!?!?!"

Mykelti didn't mention anything about social media. I don't follow her elsewhere, so I just Googled and checked her Instagram, Twitter, and the Facebook accounts, and she didn't post anything about it. She only posted to Patreon, where she has paying subscribers who were expecting her usual and previously scheduled content.

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

If anyone WANTS to film, if they want to talk about their feelings for their own process or for awareness/prevention I think that is their right. I would only hope their desire is sincere and not based on monetary pressures or a sense of family duty. 

The only person I would keep away from the cameras is Truely given she’s so young (and Solomon & Arielle as well)- but if Savannah on up want to say something that’s up to them to decide. I have never been in that sort of position so I would only support whatever they wanted to do. 

That's how I feel, too. The Browns should do (and not do) whatever they feel like doing (and not doing), right now.

I think there's definitely a conversation to be had about children on reality TV (as was mentioned upthread), and I think there's a conversation to be had about the Brown parents, and their choice to expose their family to the world on a reality show, and whether or not the show should continue.

I can't help but think that it might be better if we had a different thread for that. Somehow (to me) it feels wrong to have that discussion in a thread called "Robert Garrison Brown - RIP."

Edited by General Days
corrected typos, added links
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, General Days said:

This needs context to be fair, so I'm adding it. 

Mykelti didn't mention anything about social media. I don't follow her elsewhere, so I just Googled and checked her Instagram, Twitter, and the Facebook accounts, and she didn't post anything about it. She only posted to Patreon, where she has paying subscribers who were expecting her usual and previously scheduled content.

That is 100% my mistake - what I saw was a clip from her Patreon, posted to someone's TikTok.  I jumped to a wrong conclusion about her.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Just want to be careful here for those who have lost loved ones to suicide (myself included). Suicide is not always preventable. As a clinician who has worked in high levels of care I know this to be true. We have no idea where Garrison's head was at, or for how long. We have no idea if this was a feelings induced, impulsive act, or if drugs and/or alcohol were involved, or whether this was a firm plan.

This is hard. More hugs to you all.

There's something that's always stuck with me, that I heard Jonathan Decker say (therapist who is part of the Cinema Therapy and Mended Light YouTube channels). He said that there is one thing that every single person who has ever take their own life has in common - they held on for as long as they possibly could.

Maybe not as long as people on the outside looking in thought they should be able to. But absolutely as long as they were able to. 💔

• Like 5
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 6
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, Sweetpea12 said:

Didn't Garrison have a long term girlfriend - I haven't seen any mention?

Or am I confusing him with Hunter?

Garrison had a girlfriend as of Thanksgiving 2022, but I think the one we’ve seen a lot of on social media (and that you’re thinking of) is Hunter’s. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Gwen is the one I am really worried about. She, Gabe, and Garrison were “the triplets” growing up. That’s a huge part of her core identity that has been destabilized. Also, I know from personal experience that we neurodivergent people don’t always express our grief in a way that makes sense to people, so we sometimes don’t get the kind of support we need. 💔

Garrison wasn’t one of the “triplets.” He was older. Gwen, Gabe, and one of Robyn’s girls were the “triplets.”

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, SDVegas said:

Garrison wasn’t one of the “triplets.” He was older. Gwen, Gabe, and one of Robyn’s girls were the “triplets.”

Yes. Gwen and Gabe are three days a part, (born in October)- Aurora was born the next April. They were the same grade growing up because of the older two’s late bday. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, SDVegas said:

Right, and really, Gabriel and Gwendlyn were the "twins." Gabe was born four days before Gwendlyn in October of 2001.

Aurora was born in April 2002, and she Gabe, and Gwendlyn were in the same year of school, but of course Robyn didn't join the family until 2010.

2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

That is 100% my mistake - what I saw was a clip from her Patreon, posted to someone's TikTok.  I jumped to a wrong conclusion about her.

Thanks for clarifying, Laura. TikTok can be such a menace.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

People are donating here in his memory.  I’m reading the donations and crying. High Country Humane Society

So far I've counted over $2600 donated in his memory. That's quite a boon to this organization; whoever suggested it, thank you!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 13

I won’t presume to know what the situation or contributing factors were that  took Garrison to such a place, but it was surreal when I saw it.  I’ve read a couple of things. 

Whenever I hear the saying that kids are so resilient, I wonder if that is true, why are there so many suffering adults?  

• Like 13
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

Perhaps it was an accidental self-inflicted wound, like Mary Tyler Moore’s son?

I don’t think anyone’s called it accidental.  Janelle became concerned after hearing about troubling texts Garrison sent to the show’s producers, and sent Gabe to go and check on him. 

• Like 4

Regarding public statements or going forward with the show, I hope everyone is able to do what they feel comfortable with and what they need to get through this.  After having read Jill (Duggar) Dillard's book I am skeptical when offspring make public statements.  She was a married adult with a child and still felt obligated to defend her brother.  She didn't want to discuss that situation publicly, but did it to save the show (she said that right out).  The really sick part was that her brother was sitting a few feet away while she gave that interview.

So I hope nothing like that happens here.  I won't presume to judge any of the family members who choose to speak publicly, but I am concerned that pressure may be put on some to come out to save the show or repair someone's reputation.  This is such a tragedy and the family is going to go through a lot to find their new normal.  Obviously everyone can do what they want, but I'm not sure I can continue to watch this show in good conscience.  This has gone beyond adults willingly making fools of themselves.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I get the kids confused.  Was Gabe the one who did not want to move  because he was going to be in a leadership position at school?  Football captain, or something like that.  Whoever it was, he desperately wanted to stay at his LV high school for this last year, and Janelle finally gave in to Kody because she wanted "the right to raise her son".  I remember he was extremely upset, and I felt so bad for him.  He had the option to live with a married sibling (Aspyn??), and they would not let him stay.  These kids really have had a hard live that was caused by their parents.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I get the kids confused.  Was Gabe the one who did not want to move  because he was going to be in a leadership position at school?  Football captain, or something like that.  Whoever it was, he desperately wanted to stay at his LV high school for this last year, and Janelle finally gave in to Kody because she wanted "the right to raise her son".  I remember he was extremely upset, and I felt so bad for him.  He had the option to live with a married sibling (Aspyn??), and they would not let him stay.  These kids really have had a hard live that was caused by their parents.

I also remember Hunter having a very hard time adjusting to moving to LV.

• Like 10
  • Hugs 2
On 3/6/2024 at 4:41 PM, waterytart said:

In 2018, my daughter was murdered. She was 25, the same age as Garrison. Her death was shocking and unexpected and permanently changed me. I miss her every single day of my life and will until I too pass on. There is no way to explain to anyone who hasn't lost a child how absolutely devastating and soul crushing it is. What added insult to injury was that I was contacted by the producer of a national show about a month after she was killed and it turns out that their film crew had been following the lead detective the night of her murder and she wanted to know how I felt about them airing it. I am extremely private, but most of all I didn't want her body shown on national tv for entertainment purposes - the thought was and is horrifying to me. I made it clear how I felt and begged her not to do it. She contacted me again about a month later and asked i I had changed my mind and I told her I had not, and never would. To my knowledge, that episode never aired, for which I am eternally grateful. I hope with all my heart that TLC does the right thing and allows the family to maintain privacy around this. Dealing with the heartbreak and shock is bad enough, worrying about it being televised adds a whole unnecessary layer of hurt.

I am so sorry. My family went through the same thing this year - one of the younger members was brutally murdered by a client. Trying to deal with it has been indescribable, especially for her parents and siblings. It's just, I think, so far beyond what any of us imagine ever experiencing.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

• Hugs 21
  • Sad 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Sort of. Gabriel, Gwendlyn, and Aurora all only had two years left of high school, when the family moved from Las Vegas to Flagstaff. Gabe was vocally opposed to the move, doubled his course load in Flagstaff, and graduated high school a year early. He was on the wrestling team in Vegas. I don't know if that continued in Flagstaff, or not. 

I've never heard that he had the option to live with Aspyn. She and Mitch got married shortly before the Browns moved though and were living in Vegas then (as was Logan). On the show, Gabe floated the idea of living with Maddie and her husband Caleb, but Maddie was a new mother and, if I recall correctly, didn't seem open to it at the time. Janelle seemed to shut the idea down pretty quickly, and I don't think Kody would've allowed it, anyhow. 

Here's a picture of Janelle's whole crew at Christine and David's wedding in October of 2023.

Left to right, they are: Hunter and girlfriend Audrey, Garrison (the son who just passed), Caleb (Maddie's husband) holding older daughter Evie, Maddie holding younger daughter Josephine, Janelle with her hand on the shoulder of Maddie's son Axel, Savanah, Michelle (Logan's wife), Logan, and Gabriel. 

Sister Wives Janelle Brown Family at Christine Brown-David Woolley Wedding 10-07-2023.jpg

Edited by General Days
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I don’t think anyone’s called it accidental.  Janelle became concerned after hearing about troubling texts Garrison sent to the show’s producers, and sent Gabe to go and check on him. 

Yes that is what the narrative of the police report seems to imply. We of course don't know anything for sure though. The timing is a littlle odd? According to the report Janelle last texted Garrison around 8:45 pm on March 4th. And Garrison stopped responding. But, Gabe does not go to the house to check until the following morning the 5th. So concern was definitely there. But it must have not seemed like an immediate crisis situation. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
14 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I hope the family sees it someday and finds a sliver of comfort in it. 

The awful, petty, bitter, hateful part of me saw that and thought of Kody stewing and being jealous that the money's not going to him. I want to think better of a grieving parent, but he hasn't shown us much capacity for love and compassion, and we all know he hates animals, so I'm having a hard time feeling magnanimous towards him.

The others, though? I am sure they are feeling a bit of comfort and peace knowing this is his legacy.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

When I first saw this on FB several nights ago I really hoped it was one of those fake click bait stories, but I came here to check it out and found it to be true.  I wanted so much to post, but had both too much to say and also no words.  
I recently turned 70 and have felt surrounded by death ever since. Three friends have lost husbands—2 cancer deaths and one sudden heart attack. Then one of my favorite people from decades ago in law school went for spinal surgery and ended up dying of sepsis.  She was a brilliant lawyer and one of the best people I have ever known. 
back to Garrison— I am so haunted by his scenes in the last season which seems both recent and long ago. I had hoped that maybe he and his dad were working things out.  In his speech about not needing a father figure he seemed to be trying to convince himself as much, if not more, than anyone else. It was whistling in the dark. 
I ache for the Brown family.  I lost a cousin to suicide 30 years ago, and it leaves a big hole in the hearts of the survivors.  For years after I would get sudden flashes of anger about it.  I have pictures I treasure of her with my daughter.  When our first grandson was born a few years ago, it just made me so sad they would never know each other 

Like most of you I have watched this family for ages, but I have wondered more and more about the decision to include children.  I really enjoyed watching the show about the Alabama family with sextuplets, but I was relieved that they decided against further filming. They occasionally post pix on FB. I have no clue how the Browns will decide about going forward.  I am concerned about all the children and how it may impact them.  I cannot imagine how hard it is for Gabe. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 14
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I really enjoyed watching the show about the Alabama family with sextuplets, but I was relieved that they decided against further filming.

TLC cancelled Sweet Home Sextuplets, it wasn't the family's doing.  I believe the only TLC family who chose on their own to stop filming was the Hayes family of Table for Twelve.  

• Useful 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Yes that is what the narrative of the police report seems to imply. We of course don't know anything for sure though. The timing is a littlle odd? According to the report Janelle last texted Garrison around 8:45 pm on March 4th. And Garrison stopped responding. But, Gabe does not go to the house to check until the following morning the 5th. So concern was definitely there. But it must have not seemed like an immediate crisis situation. 

The police reports are also confusing. Saying Gabe went to Flagstaff to check on Garrison - was he out of town?  Was Janelle (on Monday she was getting pre-cancerous lesions taken off her face)?  It is also possible Gabe went to Robyn's house but Kody was away at his favourite mall.

Edited by Denize
  • Sad 4
On 3/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, MaryMitch said:

So far I've counted over $2600 donated in his memory. That's quite a boon to this organization; whoever suggested it, thank you!

The total is now over $5600.

• Like 7
  • Love 14
20 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I am so sorry. My family went through the same thing this year - one of the younger members was brutally murdered by a client. Trying to deal with it has been indescribable, especially for her parents and siblings. It's just, I think, so far beyond what any of us imagine ever experiencing.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Thank you, truly. My heart goes out to your family. <3

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1

This has hit hard. Garrison was a favorite of mine because he didn't play games and he didn't want to be silenced simply because of a tv show. Not that he was spilling secrets, but he just lived his life authentically, without censoring himself. He had a lot of empathy, love and understanding for his extended family. He will be missed.

• Like 8
  • Love 11
On 3/7/2024 at 4:53 PM, Meow Mix said:

So I hope nothing like that happens here.  I won't presume to judge any of the family members who choose to speak publicly, but I am concerned that pressure may be put on some to come out

That's one thing I like about this forum on primetimer. We viewers can feel annoyed with some of the kids' habits or personalities, but for the most part we love all the Brown kids and truly root for them to prosper. Especially given what they've lived through.

It's always been just the parents/ adults who we hold accountable.

I think Garrison's death has affected all of us as a community, and I believe we will always treat the kids with respect. I, too, hope the kids are left alone by all media so they can work through their grief.

• Like 22
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

The total is now over $5600.

I donated through PayPal and I think those donations don't show up on the page so there may even be more than that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

I think Gabe was the one who didn't want to leave LV. He was a junior in high school, had a girlfriend and was on the wrestling team. Garrison was already graduated at that point.

I just heard the news today and am in total shock. We've watched these kids for so long you feel like you know them personally.

• Like 6