Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E12: The Ex-Girlfriend at the Wedding

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Castaways must roll their way through the reward challenge to win a picnic in the middle of the ocean. Then, castaways either stay balanced or drop the ball in the immunity challenge, trying to earn their spot in the final five.

Original airdate 12/13/23

Well unless Jake decides pull a really bonehead play, he could guarantee himself a one-way to F4 since he can't play the idol after 5 anyway. And at that point, it comes down to how well he can make fire.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Jake made it to the F3, just because the editing played up how down and out he was in the game at one point, him even being emotional and feeling defeated.

And the fact he's still there, wasn't even a consideration in the last two votes. Yeah that's totally a F3 type edit. Don't think he'll win though. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

UO, but I was just starting to like Drew.  I was kind of hoping for an unexpected blindside-like Jake used his idol to save Drew and Julie got voted out.  I'm not sorry he's gone, and am glad he at least went out bitter.  I liked that Dee apparently didn't tell Austin what the real plan was, because it shows she values her game play over her showmance, and she's going to do what's best for her.  He could have easily gotten rid of Julie last week had he kept that secret to himself, and he'd likely still have Drew this week.  Also makes me think that maybe Julie is her true #1. 

I'm actually impressed that Julie/Dee have managed to be this super secret duo and no one has caught on-I don't even think Austin/Drew were aware how close they were.  I also don't believe anyone knew until it was too late how tight the Reba 4 was.  I do think that group got very lucky with the game dynamics this season, but I'll give them credit for not making it obvious they were a tight alliance.

I'm glad Jake found the idol, but I wonder what he thinks watching back and realizing the Drew blindside wasn't even his idea.  He basically offered himself and Katurah up as votes to the real masterminds of the blindside.  I like that Katurah finally has her head in the game now that Bruce is gone, but not sure if it'll be too little, too late.  Jake seems to have had his head in the game and trying to keep up with things at least, even if his reads were very wrong.  I did enjoy the whole sideshow at the bamboo raft where he was talking about his time as an actor an underwear.  I didn't expect this guy to provide so much comic relief this season.

Can't believe the finale is next week!  I've really enjoyed this season, though I think that's another UO.  There's some thing I wish they'd change about the show and go back to how a few things were, but I understand why that can't be the case.  The cast has been a good one, with a lot of interesting characters, 180 turnarounds, votes, quits, and bitter exits.

• Like 16
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Can't believe the finale is next week!  I've really enjoyed this season, though I think that's another UO.  There's some thing I wish they'd change about the show and go back to how a few things were, but I understand why that can't be the case.  The cast has been a good one, with a lot of interesting characters, 180 turnarounds, votes, quits, and bitter exits.

I've really enjoyed it, too, and I thought I'd be miserable about the 90 minute episodes! But I felt like I knew more people and there were more reward challenges (as opposed to reward/immunity combo challenges) and the editors had more time to show us the funny moments. And we got the whole opening credits back!

It's also been interesting that I think they genuinely mean it when they keep talking about how much they all like each other, but that's yielding jury members who are more bitter, not less.

1 minute ago, GenerationX said:

Jake's exhibitionism made for one of the most bizarre idol finds in show history.

Seriously, what was that? How was it going to throw off anyone from thinking he's looking for an idol? Is he normally naked on the raft??

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

I thought he was stripping down to take the raft out to fish or something and he'd look for the idol out on the water. When he just started looking and paused to talk about his stage experience in his underwear, I just laughed and laughed. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm actually impressed that Julie/Dee have managed to be this super secret duo and no one has caught on-I don't even think Austin/Drew were aware how close they were. 

I think they all knew they were very close, which is why everyone agreed to keep Dee out of the plan to blindside Julie. Because they all knew she wouldn't go for it or possibly spill the beans to Julie - which she did. The issue was really Austin who clearly believe Dee is solidly with him and in his mind, her, him and Drew were the lock for the F3. 

16 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I also don't believe anyone knew until it was too late how tight the Reba 4 was. 

This too, I think they knew. I just think when the numbers were big enough to break them up, many of the other players were playing an "anyone but me" game or focusing on personal beefs and drama with other players versus looking at the bigger picture to break up the four.

And then as the numbers dwindled, they all just figured that they could exploit some cracks down the line. Which to be fair, did happen with Drew and Austin deciding to go after Julie that in turn caused Dee and Julie to go after and get Drew out. 

• Like 8

As I predicted last week the show has lost a lot of its spark without Emily. She was a fascinating character with a great arc. She didn't seem too happy on the jury and was oddly far away from the others.

I hate both Drew and Julie so it's a win/win but the job is only half done....Julie must be the next one out!

Dee has one hand so tightly on Austin's cajones that he probably won't even be mad next episode that she lied to him. If the situation comes up where she is the one who denies him entry into the final three it will be almost Shakespearian.

Production fail: No dramatic shot of the helicopter landing on the sand spit with the castaways scrambling out like a Vietnam War movie. They couldn't have possibly made the sand spit more boring if they tried after the build-up to it.

It's clear now that all the remaining players are angling to take Jake as their no vote getting goat for the final three since he wasn't even floated as a vote out.

Dee or Austin has this thing sewn up....probably Dee.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I like that Katurah finally has her head in the game 

Does she.  Or does she too think that she's in Dee's final 3?

1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

Seriously, what was that? How was it going to throw off anyone from thinking he's looking for an idol? Is he normally naked on the raft??

He had told them that he was going down to the beach to change his clothes 😄

I had to laugh at Kellie being so gleeful that Drew was pissed - didn't she have the least graceful exit of anyone in ages? 😂

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Call me a bitch but Austin is so stupid I was rooting for Dee to keep him out of the loop. When she was talking about being in the same position as he was last week I wanted her to be like: and look what happened when he trusted me! 

• Like 5

Dee is totally who I am rooting for to win. She won her second individual immunity challenge, and was already in on the plan with Julie to get Drew out. Good riddance, Drew. 

Could do without the Austin/Dee love fest, but Dee has the best chance to win this game. Dee for the win.

• Like 8

I like the way they kept us in suspense about whether Dee told Austin or not. If Austin had played his idol for Drew, we would have known she told him, but I assume she didn’t. And he really did look shocked at the blindside.

I wonder if Austin will forgive Dee…aw, of course he will! I love the way Dee said that Mama J is her #1, and then later said that Austin is her “other #1.” I don’t think that’s how #1 works. Though Dee did seem all blushy about Austin in her talking head. But she is smart enough to put her emotions aside in planning her moves, unlike Mr. Lovesick. 

I love seeing a self styled mastermind blindsided, so I am glad it went through. He was not a happy camper, though. 

Jake went down the beach to “change his clothes,” and even got undressed in case anybody was looking. But didn’t he return in the same clothes? Both of his shirts have something Boston on them, so I couldn’t tell. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

Now that's a blindside. I'm glad Dee didn't tell Austin anything, real glad. Jake with his idol down his crotch, lol. I don't mind him, his idol has to be played next week.
Austin really likes Dee, he doesn't think he's worthy,but he is. I haven't got a favorite, so I'm looking forward to the finale and the jury questions .
Drew was pissed, but he seemed over it right at the end.
Hoping for a bitter jury!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Another forgettable season stumbling towards the finish line. I think the only god ending is if Jake follows Gabler and Yam Yam as would-be goats that wound up winning, but there's no way lightning would strike three times in the same place. Also, I'm still thinking Jake would keel over one last time before the season ends.

At least Drew can have someone check out his knees. I haven't seen legs that rough since Colleen Haskell. He looked okay in his post-vote interview, but he's probably going to be a bitter Betty . . . and we might need a lot of those to make the final Tribal Council bearable.

Honestly is there any ending that could be considered a happy one?

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Honestly is there any ending that could be considered a happy one?

Depends; how close is Fiji to Krakatoa?

ETA: just checked; threat appraisal for volcanoes erupting in Fiji is Low. 😕 Fiji’s earthquake threat is high, though - so there’s still hope.

Edited by Nashville
  • LOL 8

Drew, you Napoleon Dynamite looking MF, they didn't vote for Pedro, they voted for you! Gosh!

I am here for some bitter jury speech from Drew.

Things I knew as I was watching for 100 percent sure:

Dee was going to win this feet-related challenge.

Drew was going home if he didn't win immunity.

Things I did not know:

That people not named Austin would apparently buy that  Dee didn't tell Julie she was in danger, girl.

Dee is making it look like it's Patrick Mahomes up against some Pee Wee Football players. 

I wonder if Julie realizes that she should be trying to get Dee and Austin out. 

I also wonder if, despite having no Survivor accomplishments worth listing, Katurah could possibly run a perfect game. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

Dee is totally who I am rooting for to win. She won her second individual immunity challenge, and was already in on the plan with Julie to get Drew out. Good riddance, Drew. 

Could do without the Austin/Dee love fest, but Dee has the best chance to win this game. Dee for the win.

I think the only person left I'd be unhappy to see win is Austin.  Dee is my front runner now, I like Katurah and wish her edit hadn't been so wasted on Bruce, Jake winning would probably live rent free in my head for years as I pondered how we got here, and Julie would be okay because her name isn't Austin.  I can appreciate that Dee didn't tell Austin about Drew, even though Austin blew Julie's blindside last week by telling Dee.  I was half expecting Austin to accidentally ruin Drew's blindside by playing his idol on him just for fun, not thinking he was in any real danger. 

But I think Dee's in the best position going into the finale, and no one seems to know what a threat she is.  She has Julie, she has Austin (I think she can definitely smooth things over if he's upset about Drew leaving), Katurah seems close to her...so the only thing that might prove an issue for her is if Jake idols her out.  But I don't even know if she's on his radar.  And she's won 2 IC, whose to say she won't win the next two that will really count.  

• Like 5

Oh, my God. Austin, my man, is like a dumb trusting labrador. I was so hoping Dee would repay his (dumb) confiding in her last episode and he would save Drew with his amulet idol. I guess Julie was always going to tell Dee the plan to get out Drew anyway, but I loathed that scene of Katurah telling Dee and then jumping up and down gleefully with her "bestie". Ugh. This season already went downhill with Emily going - which was a big mistake on Austin and Drew's part, which I guess Drew would have recognized as he clumped out of that tribal council... 

The only way this season can be redeemed is if Jake and his idol triumph! Finally someone keeps their find a secret. I liked the line he had: "I'm a wolf in goat's clothing!" Would have been a good episode title.

• Like 22

Remember Austin's confession about how he wished he and Dee could be the next Rob & Amber?  Well, that might be a bit truer than Austin realized, complete with the guy losing a jury vote.

Did i miss something, or didn't Drew have a "safety without power" advantage?  Did it have an expiration date, or did he play it and I forgot about it?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Until this episode I could not stand Dee.  She seemed unreasonably smug in her comfortable little group, protected by a boyfriend and a best friend.  In this epi she showed some strategy and put me in the Team Dee camp.  Thank goodness she didn't tell Austin the plan.  You go girl, lie your way to the finale.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I totally get the attitude toward Dee, and as Haleth said, she was smug early on.  Plus sorta lame for thinking her Immunity meant that people were forced to do as she says.  Of course, they're doing that & have been anyway.

She still has that attitude, but IMO it's not a big deal.  She's playing the game, others really are not, and as mentioned, it's up to others to stop her from persevering

Edited by Carey
From and For really aren't the same thing
  • Like 4

I am glad that Napoleon, I mean Drew, is gone. He is an inflexible grumpy cat, isn't he. And he will be a bitter juror. Yay!

Think Dee has some 'splaining to do to Austin. I am not sure he will be so forgiving. I guess if Dee wins. Lol.

I feel like Jake is getting the winner's edit. That will be funny. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I was half expecting Austin to accidentally ruin Drew's blindside by playing his idol on him just for fun, not thinking he was in any real danger. 

Drew was pretty sure Austin would do that for him. He didn't bother to CHECK with him to be sure, though, and that sent him home. 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Until this episode I could not stand Dee.  She seemed unreasonably smug in her comfortable little group, protected by a boyfriend and a best friend.  In this epi she showed some strategy and put me in the Team Dee camp.  Thank goodness she didn't tell Austin the plan.  You go girl, lie your way to the finale.

I do feel like Dee's had some strategic moments throughout but I think this was the real first vote where the decision was going to be hard on Dee, as it was directly betraying an ally. The other votes were no big deal because Dee's thought process was "you aren't aligned with me and you've directly opposed me. You're gone next." Here, Drew was betraying Julie but not Dee, so Dee had to directly betray someone she promised F4 to.

I actually do like Dee. I think she's very smart, very intuitive, and I appreciate a dominant woman controlling her alliance and not being taken out because of it. Usually that's reserved for cocky dominant men. And this episode REALLY helped solidify my love for her the moment she prioritized the game over a showmance. I think I needed to see her do that to fully be on Team Dee, as I understand her behaviour can rub people the wrong way. But she's a fantastic player, and I think she'd do well even on other seasons with better players. She outplayed Emily and Kaleb, who were easily the second and third best players (one socially, the other strategically) this season. And she has the fourth best player, Julie, wrapped around her finger. 

And it's not like Dee has been hiding behind people. She has been vocal with her alliance on who she wants out and has gotten her way, no joke, every single time. She's pivoted when she's wanted to, but there hasn't been a vote thus far for her that she hasn't wanted to happen. Yet she's somehow getting away with her dominance even with her own alliance! But I guess it helps that Drew/Austin turned first. Dee seemed loyal to Reba 4 last episode, which is a surprise, but this gave her the opening to turn on Drew.

I don't know; I think Dee's playing similarly to some Survivor men who have won and I really like that about her. But I also get why she rubs people the wrong way as well.

Drew got too cocky, thought he was in such a great spot when he wasn't, and that was his downfall. He was playing a decent game but underestimated his own alliance. He's made a lot of mistakes prior with pissing people off, but crossing Julie caused Dee to officially take him out. Drew's definitely a sore loser, with how much he was whining about not going on the reward, and he might be a bitter juror, seeing how silent he was walking out.

Austin's really bad at this game. Even with all his advantages can't make his game any better. And now he's stupidly bragged about his amulet to the jury, thinking it shows him as some grand mastermind...only to have him IMMEDIATELY blindsided. Good job, Austin. You look even worse with your amulet bragging. 

Katurah/Jake aren't any better. They think they made this huge move but they're still nowhere near in control of the game. Those two need to take out Dee and Julie in order to win, as they might have a shot against Austin the Lovestruck. I appreciate them trying, and I appreciate Jake finding that idol, but neither have a good shot of winning and neither are game savvy enough to KNOW Dee and Julie need to go next.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

Did i miss something, or didn't Drew have a "safety without power" advantage?  Did it have an expiration date, or did he play it and I forgot about it?

Expired - the last tribal council at which Drew could have played his advantage was the Final 10 TC.

Edited by Nashville
Expired! Expired! Expired!
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

I can't blame Drew for being pissed. He pretty much went out because of Austin's boner. He should have never trusted Austin to keep a secret from Dee, and he should have begun to strategize against both of them once he saw Austin go all moon pie eyes over her. He got too comfortable with his initial plan and alliance and stopped thinking for himself. 

• Like 20
  • Love 2

I didn't lose sleep over his fall.  Probably could've worked with Emily and Jake to take out Dee, Julie, and Austin.  It might not have worked, but I'd give him credit for trying

It still sucks though.  Plus, if he actually succeeded, he could've faced the same aftermath Cassidy did last year courtesy of Kayla

• Like 2

Jake's plan to force a tie then a flip on the revote was going to be a longshot, but at least he's trying. So of course Katurah runs back to Dee like she always does and tries to ruin it, not knowing that Dee was already down to vote Drew.

I do think Jake is in a decent position now. Unless he tries to do something big with his idol and it backfires, he can play it on himself and be guaranteed F4, and then it's a pretty safe bet he'd have to make fire to get into F3. But if he actually gets to F3 with any combination of the rest of them, I could see him winning. With that jury, there's going to be resentment against Dee, Julie, and Austin, and Katurah has never been a factor.

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

With that jury, there's going to be resentment against Dee, Julie, and Austin,

I'm not so sure about that.  The current jury seemed pretty happy to see Dee wearing the immunity necklace as they walked into tribal.

Edited by cowgirlwen
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I can’t stand her either, ever since she and Drew (I think) chowed down on the rice and left a mouthful for Jake, laughing the entire time.  She gives off mean girl vibes.

See - I knew there was something about her that rubbed me the wrong way, very early on, but I couldn't quite remember what it was. It was the same with Julie. Both sort of struck me as too smug, way too early on,.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't know; I think Dee's playing similarly to some Survivor men who have won and I really like that about her. But I also get why she rubs people the wrong way as well.

My attitude towards Dee has nothing to do with her gender though. I've felt the same way about male players who were kind of smug and self satisfied, regardless of how well they were playing the game. 

I'm firmly in the camp of "whoever wins deserves to win," especially with how convoluted this game has become. Doesn't mean I like them as a person though. 

I know it's unlikely but it's entirely possible Jake might pull off a win if he makes it to the final three with - say, Julie and Dee or Austin and Dee. For one thing the jury seems pretty bitter, and for another thing juries are notoriously susceptible to a good sob story complete with waterworks. 

Watching Amazing Race makes me realize how uninvested I am in Survivor this season. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Whenever there's a "sob story" I'll feel for the player that's featured there.  Real life is just that, regardless of what happens on television.

However, I don't know if it's great for someone to beat his or her opponent or opponents due to one.  If it's a close game, then that's fine.  I'm just not a fan of someone losing because of someone else's issue.  Everybody has issues.

I guess I'm more pro to someone winning because he or she deserves it or earned it.  Imagine a hated player getting to the end, and then all of a sudden, there's a feel good story, and they win.  What are we doing here?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

So to take a look at each remaining player's Survivor resume:

Dee

-Won two individual immunities, one reward

-Had a hand in pretty much every vote out since the merge (I think?)

-Formed tight bonds with Reba 4 and with them controlled the game

-Got basically everyone to simultaneously trust her since the Merge except Kaleb, who correctly assessed that she was the most dangerous person early on but got no one to listen

-Instrumental in saving Julie

Austin

-Won one individual immunity, one reward

-Part of the Reba 4 who has controlled the game since the Merge

But made several tactical errors

-Gave his idol to Julie for not-particularly good reasons, apparently never asked for it back

-Targeted Julie prematurely 

-Told Dee that he was targeting Julie, allowing them to scheme to save Julie

-Fell for Dee's obvious lie that she had not told Julie about her being targeted

-Played idol for himself when he didn't have any particular reason to think he was in danger and when he could have used it to save his close ally Drew

Julie

-Runner-up in a couple of challenges

-Well loved by all players as "Mama J" and thought of as a FTC threat

-Survived an attempt to boot her thanks to an Idol 

-Part of the Reba 4 that ran things since the Merge

Jake

-Survived a couple attempts to boot him

-Found an idol which he may now play to some effect

-Funny and seemingly likeable

Katurah

-Outlasted Bruce

-Overcame her fear of water through Survivor

Am I missing anything?

• Like 6
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Austin

-Played idol for himself when he didn't have any particular reason to think he was in danger and when he could have used it to save his close ally Drew

He didn't have any particular reason to think his close ally Drew was in danger either, so I don't think this counts as a strike against him.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:

He didn't have any particular reason to think his close ally Drew was in danger either, so I don't think this counts as a strike against him.

I think he knew or at least should have suspected that Julie was gunning for Drew. He may have explicitly talked about there being war between Julie and Drew. He took Katurah on reward rather than his boy Drew specifically so he would be in a position to babysat Julie.

Austin knew (or should have known) that Dee and Julie were tight and should therefore have suspected Dee of lying to him when she said she didn't tell Julie about the plan to oust Julie. If Julie is taking on Drew, so might Dee be, so that's possibly two votes to go after Drew. All it then takes are Katurah and Jake to flip to  mean Drew goes bye-bye. 

Maybe Austin thought through the scenarios and decided that there also was a chance he might be blindsided, or maybe he doesn't value Drew's safety that highly. 

But I think it's fair game when you're talking about "who's the most deserving" to point out that despite having the physical talents, two idols and a strong alliance, Austin never initiated anything, never thought for himself (besides wanting a sandwich) and has gotten outmaneuvered a couple of times.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

Remember Austin's confession about how he wished he and Dee could be the next Rob & Amber?  Well, that might be a bit truer than Austin realized, complete with the guy losing a jury vote.

And Dee's done way more than Amber, and him less than Rob.  It worked out okay for old BRob anyway, but Austin can't count on Dee marrying him 😄

Edited by princelina
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

I think It might come down to Dee, Mama J or If we gonna have a dark horse, Jake to take it. I know people dont see It and IMO, I dont think he should.. But with the editing hes having, the moment a couple weeks ago were Kellie mentioned ar the jury how she felt for him and now, depending what he does with his Idol and If he wins a fire a challenge, I can see him taking It. For me tho, Dee should be the one. Her decision this week to separate her feelings from the game and blindsed Austin, leting him looking at her after the votes waiting for a look back while she stood looking straight up front, that was great. Mama J could take It but her big move lask week happens because Dee intel.  Other than that she would be Reba 4 till the end and just vote people out of spite. And than we have Kathura that was fun to watch but yep, the weakest player and Austin, that went from one of the top players to one of the lamest.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I can't blame Drew for being pissed. He pretty much went out because of Austin's boner. He should have never trusted Austin to keep a secret from Dee, and he should have begun to strategize against both of them once he saw Austin go all moon pie eyes over her. He got too comfortable with his initial plan and alliance and stopped thinking for himself. 

I was praying for Austin to give his amulet to Drew.  I wanted to see Dee's shocked face.  I don't like people who use flirtation to get ahead.  Dee is so full of herself; I hope it backfires on her and Julie wins it all.  

Drew's the kind of guy who has never had a moment of pretty privilege.  He's awkward looking and scrawny and wasn't ever picked for childhood games.  And he wears glasses to boot.  I felt for him.   

• Like 14

I have a special talent to recognise mean girls and bitchy behaviors early on and I did recognise Dee, behind her laughs and smiles there is a mean girl there. If she is the winner, I will be so disappointed. Nothing interesting there, the winners of last years are all so boring and meh. I think I haven't disliked a woman on Survivor as much as Dee since Parvati (🤢).

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

i do think this season is Dee's to lose, but I have also come to realize I like my winners to overcome a bit of adversity to win.  I don't remember Dee ever being in any real danger this season and has basically run things.  (Of course I may have forgotten something, I'm not sure what happened yesterday sometimes.)  But I don't remember her ever being in danger.  I realize I kind of like an underdog story.  To that end, Jake would be the perfect winner for me, but I don't think that is going to happen.  If Dee doesn't screw up majorly, and why would she at this point, I think it's hers.

• Like 9
  • Love 1