Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't know why, but when people post opinions of Kate G, good or bad, you hear from the opposite side of that opinion from posters who respond as if you have personally attacked them. It's crazy. If people want to discuss anything about KG get ready to defend yourself.

I totally agree. She is a polarizing woman, hey? And truth be told, i certainly don't lose sleep over her and don't want any harm to befall her at all. I just don't care for her at and truly believe she has mental health issues, which make her rather volatile as a parent. Reality tv has done this family no favours at all...aside from the McMansion, and all the free trips.

Those kids are already exhibiting behaviours and six of them teenagers at once will be far more than she can handle with her limited parenting abilities and lack of empathy.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 9

Well to comment on the Maine vacation episode: I was pleasantly surprised to hear Kate say something had been done to her during her childhood, she hated it, never go over it and refused to do the same thing to her children. Good for her! She had rabbits as a child, she loved them and her parents cooked them and made her eat it. She flatly says she never got over it. I wouldn't either! So, good for her for not putting her kids through the same thing.  So, putting the lobsters back in the ocean "letting them be free" with her kids was a good thing. IMO

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Kate addressed Colin's issues because he has to change schools and she wanted to get ahead of the story. Kate was trying to set the record straight before the tabloids came out with "Colin Gosselin has an IQ of 50 and still wets himself " headlines. Technically school issues like this are supposed to be confidential but that didn't stop people talking when Colin had issues adjusting to school initially. I think if all Kate wanted was sympathy she would have been teary and a lot more specific about the issues Colin had.

As for what caused Colin's issues I suspect his premature birth is the culprit more than anything else. Lack of oxygen at birth can cause issues with brain development and it frequently manifest as issues like Colin's. Child abuse while it has definitely been linked to issues like bi-polar disorder really isn't likely to cause learning issues like Colin's. It doesn't really affect the right parts of the brain unless the parent is actually hitting the child in the head. It more likely that people who abuse their children are also more likely to use drugs and alcohol which cause premature birth and issues like Colin's. Or more simply correlation and causation are not the same thing. Not that I think Kate is actually abusive I just think its important to be clear when talking about issues like this. 

Edited by Emily Thrace
  • Love 1

I haven't seen all the shows this year, but there don't seem to be very many. With no real job, and Jon basically unemployed, how is Kate supporting herself on just a few TLC specials every year?

• Love 2

Isn't her "date" the millionaire who recently dumped her ass for a younger, Russian version? Nobody wants a mean, controlling, mother of 8, no matter how much plastic surgery she has undergone! Forget the outside, she needs to work on the inside before even attempting to find a (rich) man to support her...if that is even possible.

• Love 2

I don't think her "date" is the same guy she was supposedly dating (and I don't even believe that story). I absolutely believe, as someone mentioned above, that TLC hired someone to be her date. He is either an actor or someone who wants tv exposure.

• Love 4

I hate (and always have) how she puts every personal detail about her kids' private moments on TV for money. It disgusts me. Her speaking about Colin's issues last season was the end for me. For the rest of their lives there will be footage of them on the toilet, Colin being constipated and Leah saying Hanna popped her pants. There isn't enough money in the world to make me do that to my kids.

She's a horrible mother. I predict that those kids will hate her in the future for selling out their childhoods.

They probably already do.

• Love 5

The commercials for the new season make me so mad. "I'm driven nuts times eight".

You ungrateful cow. You have 8 healthy children that YOU chose to bring into the world yet you do nothing but complain about them on national television.

How many people would give anything for just one healthy baby? I know a couple who would love to have the family this ungrateful wretch has.

Does she ever stop to think that the kids she's always bitching about bought that house she lives in? They also bought the cars she drives.

I wonder if the twins will get new cars when they get their licenses. They've been working and making money since they were 2 years old, they deserve cars more that Kate does.

She doesn't work, there were no cameras mounted in her bedroom like was done to her kids, complete with stage lights.

All this woman has done is sell her children and ride their backs all the way to the bank.

I've tried and tried to find something positive to say about this woman but I just can't find anything.

I wish more than anything that the twins will write a scrathing tell all about this witch someday.

I bet on their 18th birthday, their mother will present them with non disclosure agreements.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 8

I can't remember if I saw this in a preview or an interview, but apparently this season one of the kids says that the show should be called "Kate plus Kate". That pretty much says it all.

• Love 5

The commercials for the new season make me so mad. "I'm driven nuts times eight".

You ungrateful cow. You have 8 healthy children that YOU chose to bring into the world yet you do nothing but complain about them on national television.

How many people would give anything for just one healthy baby? I know a couple who would love to have the family this ungrateful wretch has.

Does she ever stop to think that the kids she's always bitching about bought that house she lives in? They also bought the cars she drives.

I wonder if the twins will get new cars when they get their licenses. They've been working and making money since they were 2 years old, they deserve cars more that Kate does.

She doesn't work, there were no cameras mounted in her bedroom like was done to her kids, complete with stage lights.

All this woman has done is sell her children and ride their backs all the way to the bank.

I've tried and tried to find something positive to say about this woman but I just can't find anything.

I wish more than anything that the twins will write a scrathing tell all about this witch someday.

I bet on their 18th birthday, their mother will present them with non disclosure agreements.

When she was on Ellen's show, Ellen asked about the kids getting cars when they are 16, stupid woman answered that they will  HAVE TO WORK FOR THEM! The look on Ellen's face said it all.

• Love 2

I saw the promos last night and couldn't believe my eyes!

Yes, Kate will date, but the promo says this is a NEW season of Kate Plus 8.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/kate-plus-8/videos/new-season-of-kate-plus-8/

OMG new SEASON??? I was thinking maybe one stand alone episode. Oh the horror.....

I hate (and always have) how she puts every personal detail about her kids' private moments on TV for money. It disgusts me. Her speaking about Colin's issues last season was the end for me. For the rest of their lives there will be footage of them on the toilet, Colin being constipated and Leah saying Hanna popped her pants. There isn't enough money in the world to make me do that to my kids.

She's a horrible mother. I predict that those kids will hate her in the future for selling out their childhoods.

They probably already do.

Poor kids don't have any basis for comparison. They probably think it is a normal childhood.

• Love 7

Poor Colin. The scene that started my raging Kate Hate was the scene where Colin had gotten gum on his bear, which was described as his favorite comfort item. Seeing that poor little boy crying hysterically while his mother was screaming that she was going to throw his bear in the garbage broke my heart. If she was that bad when the cameras were filming her, I can't imagine how horrible she is when they aren't being filmed.

I wrote it in a joking manner but I was serious about her making the kids sign a non disclosure agreement when they come of age. I can totally see her telling them that she'll cut them off financially if they don't sign.

I wish Ellen had called Kate out during the interview mittisgirl spoke about above. What nerve that bitch has to say that the kids will have to work if they want cars. The teins have been working since they were 2 and the sextuplets since they were born! When is the last time Kate has worked?

The poor kids don't even get to enjoy their summer vacations. I know people will think that going on these trips are great for the kids and they would be if they weren't being filmed.

Imagine playing on the beach with your siblings and being told you weren't playing good enough and have to go back and pretend to do it again. And again and again. Or if there's something you've been promised that you can do but you can't do it until the camera guy, the sound guy etc etc are ready.

These kids aren't kids, they're laborers who are so their mother can spend all of their money on herself.

• Love 7

Poor Colin. The scene that started my raging Kate Hate was the scene where Colin had gotten gum on his bear, which was described as his favorite comfort item. Seeing that poor little boy crying hysterically while his mother was screaming that she was going to throw his bear in the garbage broke my heart. If she was that bad when the cameras were filming her, I can't imagine how horrible she is when they aren't being filmed.

I wrote it in a joking manner but I was serious about her making the kids sign a non disclosure agreement when they come of age. I can totally see her telling them that she'll cut them off financially if they don't sign.

I wish Ellen had called Kate out during the interview mittisgirl spoke about above. What nerve that bitch has to say that the kids will have to work if they want cars. The teins have been working since they were 2 and the sextuplets since they were born! When is the last time Kate has worked?

The poor kids don't even get to enjoy their summer vacations. I know people will think that going on these trips are great for the kids and they would be if they weren't being filmed.

Imagine playing on the beach with your siblings and being told you weren't playing good enough and have to go back and pretend to do it again. And again and again. Or if there's something you've been promised that you can do but you can't do it until the camera guy, the sound guy etc etc are ready.

These kids aren't kids, they're laborers who are so their mother can spend all of their money on herself.

Is the video with Ellen available anywhere? I couldn't find it not even a clip on youtube. TIA

I caught some of the Kate + 8 marathon yesterday.  Something stood out for me, especially after reading this thread.  When they were in the candy store in Maine, Kate had a meltdown because some of the kids wanted several candies or had started to eat the candies without paying.  Cut to an interview with Collin, Aaden and Joel, where a producer asked them how they felt about their mother yelling at them.  Collin said, "you have to remember she has eight kids.  She is stressed, but she is doing the best that she can.  I wouldn't trade her for anything."  I almost fell off my chair because I was under the impression that Collin and Alexis were her least favorites. 

I caught last night's episode, and I think most of those kids are ill-mannered.  I don't care how annoying Kate is, Maddie calling her mother stupid is unacceptable.   My kids would have to have lost their ever loving minds to speak to me like that. 

I caught last night's episode, and I think most of those kids are ill-mannered.  I don't care how annoying Kate is, Maddie calling her mother stupid is unacceptable.   My kids would have to have lost their ever loving minds to speak to me like that. 

I caught a few minutes of K+8 last night...I think Mady has been calling her mother "stupid" since she could talk. And, no, Kate, those teen-age boys were not "flirting" with your daughters. They saw a kazillion camera people on a beach and wondered what the deal was. Duh. And chill.

All of the kids are pretty sassy-pants and selfish. I haven't seen them in years and it was rather depressing.

• Love 1

I really have no good explanation as to why I still watch this show, other than curious disgust? But I really can't explain why I chose to watch the show after a very stressful day at work. Oh my god, so much yelling. When they were in the "bomb" room trying to escape, it was just too much. So, so, so much awful.

• Love 4

I caught some of the Kate + 8 marathon yesterday. Something stood out for me, especially after reading this thread. When they were in the candy store in Maine, Kate had a meltdown because some of the kids wanted several candies or had started to eat the candies without paying. Cut to an interview with Collin, Aaden and Joel, where a producer asked them how they felt about their mother yelling at them. Collin said, "you have to remember she has eight kids. She is stressed, but she is doing the best that she can. I wouldn't trade her for anything." I almost fell off my chair because I was under the impression that Collin and Alexis were her least favorites.

I'm sure those kids were coached and threatened until they learned those lines. That sounds more like Kate than an 11 year old boy.

I'm betting there was a lot of rehearsing and many takes until they got their lines right.

• Love 5

Those "escape the room!" places can be lots of fun, we've done them as a family ourselves. They are hard enough to be challenging but not hard enough to be impossible. (We escaped with 4 minutes to spare!) You really do have to work as a team in the most literal sense. I call BS on the Gosselins actually escaping in time. The producers probably asked the people running it to stop the clock, or just give them the code. Of course Kate has to screech and scream nonstop and ruin it for the kids.

I see that this season will be no different than other seasons. 1) Go to a gorgeous locale. 2) Bitch and scream your head off. So I'm now out.

• Love 4

I caught some of the Kate + 8 marathon yesterday.  Something stood out for me, especially after reading this thread.  When they were in the candy store in Maine, Kate had a meltdown because some of the kids wanted several candies or had started to eat the candies without paying.  Cut to an interview with Collin, Aaden and Joel, where a producer asked them how they felt about their mother yelling at them.  Collin said, "you have to remember she has eight kids.  She is stressed, but she is doing the best that she can.  I wouldn't trade her for anything."  I almost fell off my chair because I was under the impression that Collin and Alexis were her least favorites.

I let TLC run in the background the other day (why, self, why?) and there were a bunch of old Kate+8 eps on. i ignored most of it but did a double take when one of the younger kids said in her talking head that Kate used to have to make two trips to carry all her babies down the stairs, and most moms don't have to do that. It really sounded like that kid has internalized Kate's complaints and it made me sad. Colin's statement bolded above sounds to me like more of the same. Little kids shouldn't be focused on what a hardship they've created for their mother. :(

• Love 6

I… don't really mind this show. Kate is not exactly a model citizen, but I think some of the problem is that she's very Pennsylvania Dutch no-nonsense, on top of being a nurse, which is also correlated with not being fuzzy wuzzy, so she comes across worse than she probably deserves. Yes, sometimes she is pretty bad, but I haven't seen anything yet this season that really bothered me. I think she's actually kind of funny sometimes.

Mady is still a drama queen, and some of the little kids are whiners. Cara is stunning but possibly turning into a bit of an "eccentric." 

• Love 5

I tuned in for a couple of minutes...it was just so boring. We get it, Kate--you have a lot of kids and it can be crazy. 

Free tip for Kate--in the video where you are on the airplane and you aren't wearing any makeup? You looked really good there. You should go with that look. Your interview makeup does you no favors.

• Love 2

I… don't really mind this show. Kate is not exactly a model citizen, but I think some of the problem is that she's very Pennsylvania Dutch no-nonsense, on top of being a nurse, which is also correlated with not being fuzzy wuzzy, so she comes across worse than she probably deserves. Yes, sometimes she is pretty bad, but I haven't seen anything yet this season that really bothered me. I think she's actually kind of funny sometimes.

Mady is still a drama queen, and some of the little kids are whiners. Cara is stunning but possibly turning into a bit of an "eccentric."

I kind of get her, too. When she gets too self aware, playing to the camera, I hate it. I always enjoy their beach trips so I kind of liked last night's episode. Other than those I can take it or leave it.

• Love 1

I know Kate only does anything for the sake of the cameras, but for the love of God...If you know your kids get sea sick, 1) why go deep sea fishing at all? 2) you brought change of clothes, vomit bags & towels but you didn't think to give them anti-nausea meds or those wrist band pressure things to prevent them from puking everywhere? 3) you're so self involved that you'd rather have your kids get physically ill so you can haul in a few fish?  Being sea sick is no joke and the effects last for many people after they throw up and get back on land.  Kate gives narcissism a whole new meaning with every episode.

I see Maddy and Cara have both maintained their pleasant personalities over the years (snerk).  I guess they have the excuse that they are teenagers now, but Maddy especially has been a sour puss since she was 6.  They also have the excuse that they are products of their environment; living with a harpy who screeches about what SHE needs/wants/demands 24-7 would turn any kid into a unlikeable shrew.  Maddy is her mother.

The one thing I found myself agreeing with Kate over was the anti-water park sentiment.  I'm not a germaphobe, but those places are literal cesspools. There are at least 5 water parks within a 2 hour drive from my house.  Each one of them has had complaints or reports of horrible infections (gastro troubles, ear infections, warts, chlorine burns).  I know one girl who lost her tear duct due to a flesh eating bacteria traced to one of those water parks.

• Love 5

Me too, kind of liked it. I'm surprised nobody's here snarking. That's why I kind of watched it back and forth with the Republicans.

I think nobody is here snarking because none of us watched this crap. I'm happy that nobody is here talking about the witch.

Thanks absolom, I've been watching for you to post the ratings. Hopefully this means the witch won't be on TV anymore. I'm sure she'll rant and rave and blame the kids for the poor ratings. She used to tell them that if they didn't film they would lose the house, their school etc.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 9

I think nobody is here snarking because none of us watched this crap. I'm happy that nobody is here talking about the witch.

Thanks absolom, I've been watching for you to post the ratings. Hopefully this means the witch won't be on TV anymore. I'm sure she'll rant and rave and blame the kids for the poor ratings. She used to tell them that if they didn't film they would lose the house, their school etc.

I'm not watching can't snark but check in once in awhile to hoPefully see they have cancelled her. Also, snark wasn't really encouraged in here much. It was more of a fan forum.
  • Love 1

There's no way in hell I'd let my kids be televised while queasy and vomiting. Their 'friends'will be teasing them forever. Why does she think everyone needs a vacation far from home? A two day stay at a destination that's a two hour drive from home would be most people's dream. Did anyone else wonder why the kids weren't wearing life vests?

And I'm assuming someone else was given the lovely assignment of washing the vomit clothing and towels.

• Love 2

"I have a running theme of gray in my life," says Mady. Yes, Mady. We can certainly tell.

I want to go antiquing.

I don't see much joy from Cara and it's really rather sad. I did laugh when she said (think it was Cara) that the cooking competition was just bc Kate wanted them to make her lunch.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3