Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Kids, get your homework done so mom lets you stay up to watch!" 

Does she mean her kids? They've lived it, I'm sure they've no desire to RE-live it. 

Or does she believe that kids all over America are dying to see her yell at her kids every week for an hour?

• Love 2

Hollywoodlife.com

Here is an article on Hollywood life about Kate being investigated for child abuse. Collin told the staff where he is staying that he was abused by his Mother. Why she is held up as an example of good mothering is beyond me. She isn't by me!http://Hollywoodlife.com

Edited by Chai
  • Love 2

What is it with TLC? Between June Shannon's pedo boyfriend, the good "Christian" families (Duggars and Willises) having molesters in the ranks, and now Kate's child abuse coming out, they need to just close up shop and go back to Trading Spaces and A Baby Story. Seriously. They're the worst.

• Love 21

TLC sees themselves differently! Here's an article about the show. At the end is this:

About TLC

Offering remarkably relatable real-life stories without judgment, TLC shares everyday heart, humor, hope, and human connection with programming genres that include fascinating families, heartwarming transformations, and life’s milestone moments. In 2016 to-date, TLC is the #10 ad-supported cable network in delivery among W25-54.

https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/kate-gosselin-celebrates-ten-years-on-tlc-with-a-new-season-of-kate-plus-8/

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, TerryeW1 said:

That preview is from last year.  I remember seeing each of these scenes in previous episodes.

This was long before she sent Colin away.

23 minutes ago, TerryeW1 said:

That preview is from last year.  I remember seeing each of these scenes in previous episodes.

This was long before she sent Colin away.

Well poo!

• Love 1
On 11/6/2016 at 1:53 PM, ginger90 said:

TLC sees themselves differently! Here's an article about the show. At the end is this:

About TLC

Offering remarkably relatable real-life stories without judgment, TLC shares everyday heart, humor, hope, and human connection with programming genres that include fascinating families, heartwarming transformations, and life’s milestone moments.

I think they have confused judgement with discretion and decency.

• Love 8

So Jon's version of the alleged kidnapping is that Hannah refused to get out of his car when he took her back to Kate's house. He claims  Hannah was anxious and stressed out. And after a while he gave up and texted Kate and told her to come get Hannah from his place. Kate called the cops and claimed it was kidnapping.

They're both playing terrible mind games IMO. And I hope when the kids are of age they tell both parents to fuck right off, publically, since Jon and Kate love to be in the tabloids so much. 

• Love 1

If Kate called the police when John didn't return Hannah, why couldn't John do the same thing when she refused to send out Collin ( and apparently Alexis) on his visitation days?  He complains about not seeing them and claims that he can't challenge Kate because he can't afford a lawyer. Thankfully, I know nothing about custody battles, but there has to be something he could do if he really wanted to.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Jon always talks  to the press when he should be talking to a lawyer.  There's no way that there is no lawyer anywhere that would help him.  He's just to lazy and apathetic to look.

I am by no means a Kate fan, but I agree with you that Jon has been very passive at best about the situation with seeing his children. How on G-d's earth does he not know where Colin is or why Alexis doesn't see him?! I would move heaven an earth to see my children or at least find out the exact specifics and facts ( not relying on Kate's explanation) as to why I haven't seen my children and exactly where they are being educated.

Kate may have full legal custody, but they have shared physical custody and Jon still has rights as a parent. He should get a lawyer and exercise those rights, imo.

• Love 2

Kate may have full legal custody, but they have shared physical custody and Jon still has rights as a parent. He should get a lawyer and exercise those rights, imo.

I can tell you one of his problems straight off.  He has a car that allows him to pick up 4 kids.  So only 4 kids get in the car.  Now, what if Hannah always does the cleaning and washing (something the twins boycotted and eventually led to them not getting in the car).  So Hannah always gets to come.  That leaves 3 spots for 5 kids.  And if Colin is not doing well and is told he got to come last week, maybe his coping strategy is to not get an the car at all anymore.  This means that Jon would have to be an adult and work with the Colin.  So when Kate buys a new van, she gives the old van to Jon.  Who sells it.  Now the 2 kids that aren't in the 5 seater car have been told what his priorities are.  I don't think Kate's a saint but I bet anything the chapters in the book on Jon will be platinum.

• Love 3

How does Kate get to be judge and jury as to who " gets" to go with Dad? Chores are the currency? Wtf? Not normal by any stretch of the imagination, imo. Seeing one's father should not be a privilege to be granted by the Fuehrer Kreider, imo. The court has deemed Jon to have visitation time. He needs to get a lawyer. If he doesn't fight for his kids, that's on him.

Now as for Jon, he should have a vehicle that can accommodate all of his children. And not having a large enough vehicle does not in any way excuse him not knowing exactly where Colin is and what is going on with Alexis.  I would want "proof of life" if I were Jon. 

• Love 4

Wow, she looks ROUGH in that solo picture. 

I'm just wondering what exactly Colin's diagnosis is, that he needed treatment away from home. From what we've seen on the show, nothing ever stood out to me about that kid, that made me think he really had issues. I mean, I know there are so many different things that kids can struggle with these days - but in-patient treatment seems really extreme to me. You can get IEPs and special help in school. You can do weekly therapy, even have people come to your home. I would only think of sending my child to a facility in a REALLY extreme case, and nothing about Colin ever said "extreme problems" to me. Anyone else? 

• Love 9

I was under the impression, when the news about Colin broke, that the situation was temporary.  That he was in some 3 month program, or something.  I'm sure I read that somewhere.  So, I'm surprised to learn that he seems to be permanently exiled.  I still believe if Jon wasn't such a loser, he could take Kate to court and gain custody of Colin.  But, Jon seems to be stuck in adolescence and a constant victim.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'm just wondering what exactly Colin's diagnosis is, that he needed treatment away from home. From what we've seen on the show, nothing ever stood out to me about that kid, that made me think he really had issues. I mean, I know there are so many different things that kids can struggle with these days - but in-patient treatment seems really extreme to me. You can get IEPs and special help in school. You can do weekly therapy, even have people come to your home. I would only think of sending my child to a facility in a REALLY extreme case, and nothing about Colin ever said "extreme problems" to me. Anyone else? 

Sometimes inpatient is recommended when it is not appropriate or safe for the child to be around other siblings or household members (either for his wellbeing or theirs). We can't rely on an edited TLC show to decide whether Colin has extreme problems. I hope he is happy and well, wherever he is, and that it's not one of those boot camp facilities. :(

• Love 4
2 hours ago, glowlights said:

Sometimes inpatient is recommended when it is not appropriate or safe for the child to be around other siblings or household members (either for his wellbeing or theirs). We can't rely on an edited TLC show to decide whether Colin has extreme problems. I hope he is happy and well, wherever he is, and that it's not one of those boot camp facilities. :(

I 100% agree that we can't rely on the show, but it still kind of surprised me. I do hope is in a positive, supportive place. Given the recent news about Kate, it definitely might be better for him to be away from his house. I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, I just never got the impression there was anything that serious going on. 

• Love 4

The one case I remember when a parent sent a child to a behavioral boarding school was Nancy Spungeon, who grew up to become the girlfriend of punk rocker Sid Vicious. She was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a young child and according to her mother's book, nearly impossible to live with. She was destructive, often hurt her younger sister, very defiant and violent. Her parents sent her to a boarding school at age 11 and she actually graduated from high school at age 16. This took place in the 1970s, before there was much help for mental illness, especially for children. She did unfortunately end up as a stripper and heroin addict and was stabbed to death by her boyfriend at age 20.

From what we have seen on the tv show, Colin isn't anywhere near this level of mental illness. It could be he simply doesn't get along with Kate or his siblings that warranted this. I've heard of people sending their kids to military school or boarding school at 14 for high school. 

Re: The accusations of child abuse.  That's a very serious accusation and I will wait until she's actually proven guilty of something, before I get on the bash Kate bandwagon.  confused0007.gif

If there was an accusation, by all means investigate her.  If Colin is not in the home then he is not in danger at the moment.  Until it's proven she gets the benefit of my doubt.

I can't believe I missed the first episode.  Oh well, I'm sure they'll replay it a few hundred times. rolleye0006.gif

Sadly Kate can't be relied on to produce fully factual statements.  She admits that they have been investigated and while she claims she was cleared in her mind that could be said under many different circumstances.  There could have been parenting plan, or ongoing visits, etc.  As long as she wasn't jailed for child abuse, it might be in her mind that she was "cleared."  Kate has a wonderful ability to twist facts and words and to engage in self-deception.

• Love 8

If John wants to see his kids he can do what he needs to do to see his kids and not sit back and be a passive pansy.  

"I can't afford it" is total BS. You figure out how to afford it.

My friend and her husband have had major custody issues with her husbands ex in the past and they really can't afford lawyer fees but they always did what they needed to do to make sure their kids were safe and with them.  His excuses are bull shit. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Excerpts from Kate's own journal.

She denies this, of course.  I am a survivor of child abuse, and see many similar traits between my mother and Kate.  One common thing is that abusive parents with several children often have one target child.  Regardless of what that child does or does not do, he/she is the target of the mother's wrath.  

I'm so sorry you had to endure abuse.  That's horrible.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Excerpts from Kate's own journal.

She denies this, of course.  I am a survivor of child abuse, and see many similar traits between my mother and Kate.  One common thing is that abusive parents with several children often have one target child.  Regardless of what that child does or does not do, he/she is the target of the mother's wrath.  

I agree. I thought it was pretty much proven when the abuse was in her personal journals that she never denied were hers.  Most abusers are never convicted of anything because they're sneaky and their victims are too scared to report them. 

Her emotional abuse of Colin was shown numerous times over the course of the show. Most recently when she sneered and insulted, to his face, the present he had bought for her with his own money. And that's just what is shown on camera when she's on her best behavior. 

I didn't even know there was a new episode. I stopped  watching. I feel bad enough for watching the early years and contributing to the life these poor kids have had with my ratings.  It won't change anything but not watching makes me feel like I'm no longer harming the kids. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

Says something nice about every other kid...says about Colin 'I don't know what to say about him. He's not laid back.' Wtf. What kind of mother does that? He didn't really interact with anyone. He stayed to himself. The other boys didn't play with him. The girls didn't play with him. He seemed so forlorn. I feel so bad for this boy. 

• Love 9

I'll never forget the episode where Colin got gum on his comfort toy, I think it was a stuffed bear with a blanket baby. She took it from him, and as shes screaming that it's ruined and she's throwing it in the garbage, poor Colin is crying his little 3 year old eyes out.  From my recollection she's never had anything nice to say about him except to call him a "helper boy".   If it's true that nobody would play with him, it's probably because she poisoned the kids against him like I strongly believe she did to Jon. 

In my opinion, it was always very obvious that Hannah was her favorite and Colin was her least favorite. She never tried to hide it either.  I found one of her books in the dollar store and bought it (I paid 99 cents too much) and she readily admit that Hannah is her favorite because she held Hannah first out of the younger six. 

I've always had the biggest soft spot for Colin, aside from my hatred of his "mother". I truly hope that Colin gets the help he needs and deserves and I hope he can find some happiness, he always seemed so sad.  I have an empty nest and I wish I could go kidnap him and bring him into a kind, loving, private home for once in his life. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I'll never forget the episode where Colin got gum on his comfort toy, I think it was a stuffed bear with a blanket baby. She took it from him, and as shes screaming that it's ruined and she's throwing it in the garbage, poor Colin is crying his little 3 year old eyes out.  From my recollection she's never had anything nice to say about him except to call him a "helper boy".   If it's true that nobody would play with him, it's probably because she poisoned the kids against him like I strongly believe she did to Jon. 

In my opinion, it was always very obvious that Hannah was her favorite and Colin was her least favorite. She never tried to hide it either.  I found one of her books in the dollar store and bought it (I paid 99 cents too much) and she readily admit that Hannah is her favorite because she held Hannah first out of the younger six. 

I've always had the biggest soft spot for Colin, aside from my hatred of his "mother", I truly hope that Colin gets the help he needs and deserves and I hope he can find some happiness, he always seemed so sad.  I have an empty nest and I wish I could go kidnap him and bring him into a kind, loving, private home for once in his life. 

Collin is clearly the scapegoat of the narcissist.  Yet her golden child, Hannah, visits her dad often and most famously, was filmed screaming that she didn't want to get out of the car and go back home to her mother.  This started a serious of court actions, which may or may not have involved Collin and his eventual placement outside the home.  I'm not an detailed expert of this show by any means, but I started following this show on blogs starting with  Dr. Z(?) in his Baltimore TV blog because I was horrified by what a saw in the few episodes I watched.  Mostly by her abusive behavior with Jon and her making the very young children take 4 hour naps because she was too "tired" to deal with them. Despite all the help.  Kate is an unrepentant monster.

As with you, I don't understand why this show is still on

• Love 13

That video above where she denies her own little girl a drink of water while she herself is drinking makes me sick. It also pretty much shows in a nutshell what Kate is all about and she's all about herself.  

Even after that video and so much more proof of her abusive ways she still has people who defend her. That blows my mind. 

• Love 8
On 11/25/2016 at 11:38 AM, fonfereksglen said:

Kate is an unrepentant monster.

She's truly evil.  From time to time, you can watch footage from their notorious trip to the Grand Canyon (TLC tears it down from YT fairly often).  It's hilarious because she is exposed as mean, nasty, classless, humorless trailer trash.  You give a shrew tacky French manicured acrylic nails and straw blonde hair extensions, it's still a shrew.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

She's truly evil.  From time to time, you can watch footage from their notorious trip to the Grand Canyon (TLC tears it down from YT fairly often).  It's hilarious because she is exposed as mean, nasty, classless, humorless trailer trash.  You give a shrew tacky French manicured acrylic nails and straw blonde hair extensions, it's still a shrew.

Is that part of the story line where she screams at one of her older daughters because of what happens to Steve - the "bodyguard's" slice of pizza?  

My mother who is 84,  is a Kate Gosselin.  I'm in my mid-60s and have learned from extensive reading, why I react to certain situations because I'm the older daughter of a narcissist.  I understand but can't completely erase the damage.  What I have learned has especially helped my younger sister, who was for nine years the golden child and then was displaced by the surprise son.  Our family dynamics are bizarre, but all four children are doing very well, despite our mother's still continued attempts to turn us against each other.  It is so sad.  Possibly a look into the future for KG.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Is that part of the story line where she screams at one of her older daughters because of what happens to Steve - the "bodyguard's" slice of pizza?

That's the one.  She also exposes her tightassed approach to her own diet, and, in turn, the diets of her children.  When they run into trouble and it seems like getting pizza for everyone for dinner is just the easiest and fastest thing to do, Kate FREAKS OUT.  She goes on and on about some marinated chicken they have for BBQ in one of the RV fridges.  It didn't matter to her what everyone else wanted to do, or anyone else's needs.  SHE is Kate Gosselin, and SHE has a rigid diet, and everyone must therefore acquiesce.

I'm sorry about your Mom.  :-(

• Love 2
9 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

My mother who is 84,  is a Kate Gosselin.  I'm in my mid-60s and have learned from extensive reading, why I react to certain situations because I'm the older daughter of a narcissist.  I understand but can't completely erase the damage.  What I have learned has especially helped my younger sister, who was for nine years the golden child and then was displaced by the surprise son.  Our family dynamics are bizarre, but all four children are doing very well, despite our mother's still continued attempts to turn us against each other.  It is so sad.  Possibly a look into the future for KG.  

My late mother was also Khate-ish in many ways.  I am almost 70, and - like you - have learned why I react the way I do to situations.  There are four of us siblings still living.  I am close to my oldest brother, but neither of us have spoken to the other two, nor they to each other, for many years.  Our mother lied to each of us about all the others, and was successful in her "divide and conquer" attitude.  It breaks my heart for the Gosselin kids when I see how she treats them.  In some ways, Collin may be the lucky one - out from under Khate's daily influence.  There were many times in my childhood when I prayed for Child Protective Services to come in and take me to a foster home.  Many of them aren't perfect, but almost anything would have been better than my reality.  Our father was much like Jon - didn't make much money (to pay for lawyers), and with enough skeletons in HIS closet that he was afraid of fighting for us.

I am so grateful for the life I have now with a loving husband (52 years).  We just retired this year, and our life can be summed up in a Facebook meme I saw yesterday:  "My goal is to create a life I don't need a vacation from."  Mission accomplished!  Living well is the best revenge.

• Love 11

@AZChristian, I'm so sorry.  You're such a sweet person and I'm really sorry you had to go through that.  You're a very strong woman to go through that and come out the other side as a good, kind woman.  You deserved a beautiful, care free childhood and I truly hope you are having a wonderful life now. 

Thanks so much, @Maharincess.  I think I enjoy life even MORE now because I have something really horrible to compare it to.  Mr. AZC is such a sweetheart that he's taking me from AZ to Orlando next month for  my 70th birthday . . . just so I can celebrate at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  Harry and I had a lot in common - started out with a really bad situation, but came to recognize that we have value.  Never underestimate the power of reading!!!

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 5

Here she is in all of her shrewish, humorless, vicious glory.  It's important to note that the kids and the "friend" and her daughter all slept in the RVs or in tents.  Khate went to a hotel each night with her, um, head of security.  This was especially so she could get into makeup and have her hair done each day.

I don't like Sarah Palin politically, but the warmth and graciousness her family showed toward Khate and the kids up in Alaska was really nice to see.  That is, until Khate threw a tantrum at the campsite and demanded to be taken to a hotel, and she took the kids, who were having the time of their lives at the campsite, with her.  

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 4