Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I have a DVR recording conflict, so jettisoned it.  Then I relented and decided to record the early am non-HD airing, just in case something comes up in this thread.  I'll either delete unwatched, or ff through most of it.   Let me know what you think, Honey, 'Kay?   :-)

I loved it.  I saw lots of things I missed the first time (Australia, Alaska, the BDay surprise from her friend).  I think I'm the only one who doesn't see what a horrible mother she is.  I do see a mother who does an awful lot for her kids.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 2

I loved it.  I saw lots of things I missed the first time (Australia, Alaska, the BDay surprise from her friend).  I think I'm the only one who doesn't see what a horrible mother she is.  I do see a mother who does an awful lot for her kids.

I guess people have different views on what a horrible mother is (looking at YOU, The Little Couple forum!).  :-)   Some folks could look at what my Mum did and said during my childhood and brand her "horrible" - I just see a human being who did the best she could under the circumstances she faced with the emotional tools at her disposal at the time.  Only truly evil people set out to be deliberately mean, nasty and abusive. 

No doubt I'll take the trip down memory lane and watch the special once I've burned through the rest of last night's shows.  :-)

• Love 1

I've watched bits and pieces. It's nothing but a replay of the old show.

Yes, edited to put Ms. Martyr in the best possible light, with Jon magically erased to prove that she did it all herself, don'tcha know.

• Love 9

This show simply baffles me; but it must have enough of a following to keep getting renewed.

My particular reason for hatingit. Kate actually made me like Sarah Palin for a few minutes.  Palin had some short lived show on TLC; and the powers that be decided to have a show cross-over between hers  and 'Kate plus 8".  Kate and the kids came up to Alaska for a weekend fishing and camping trip.  Storm clouds rolled in and it poured. It all looked pretty cold and miserable but Palin was gamely trying to hold up her end, and getting the kids to fish and have a little bit of fun. Kate? She sat huddled in her rain gear in the tent, bitching and moaning the entire time. I felt like shooting her.

• Love 12

This show simply baffles me; but it must have enough of a following to keep getting renewed.

My particular reason for hatingit. Kate actually made me like Sarah Palin for a few minutes.  Palin had some short lived show on TLC; and the powers that be decided to have a show cross-over between hers  and 'Kate plus 8".  Kate and the kids came up to Alaska for a weekend fishing and camping trip.  Storm clouds rolled in and it poured. It all looked pretty cold and miserable but Palin was gamely trying to hold up her end, and getting the kids to fish and have a little bit of fun. Kate? She sat huddled in her rain gear in the tent, bitching and moaning the entire time. I felt like shooting her.

Oh yes, Kate really showed her ass on that episode. I think that truly was the straw that broke the camel's back as far the future of her life in show biz went. Even die hard Kate fans walked away from that one calling her a bitch. If you want to see what Kate is really all about, just watch that episode.
  • Love 5

Oh yes, Kate really showed her ass on that episode. I think that truly was the straw that broke the camel's back as far the future of her life in show biz went. Even die hard Kate fans walked away from that one calling her a bitch. If you want to see what Kate is really all about, just watch that episode.

Just that episode ;)?

I caught a little of the latest retrospective. Kate, as usual, was complaining how much harder it is now than when the kids were younger, she's sooo busy, blah blah. When has this woman ever not bitched and moaned about how hard her life is?

I find her almost unwatchable in her talking heads-- complaining ( mugging for the camera) while sporting perfectly done hair and makeup and clasping her manicured nails in front of her. Your life is not that bad, Kate.

• Love 4

She must be back in someone's good graces if they're giving her an entire episode dedicated to the last 30(?) years. 

I don't watch the show for Kate, I watch it for the kids lol

and the mexico vacation commercial drives me CRAZY! and usually she doesn't annoy me that much.

Wait, did Kate turn 40? I had no idea.....

Sheesh, maybe if stopped mentioning it, no one would even know. I liked how Maddie was all - "She doesn't even look 40, so she should just shut up about it". 

I felt awful for whoever had to ride with Kate while muddin. She was going MAYBE 5 mph. 

Colin might be my favorite. His in-awe gratitude when the man gave him the 550 peso bear for 200 was just the sweetest thing ever. 

• Love 1

Haven't seen the "turns 40 episode" yet, but am working my way through the retrospective.  I can't help it ... those kids were just so cute!  I liked the scene where the sextuplets are at the dentist for the 1st time, and Alexis is having a meltdown.  The hygienist keeps asking her questions, which she answers, but then she immediately goes back to screaming her head off.  Then when it is done, she is all smiles.  :-)   And the boys and girls holding each others hands during the process ... so sweet.

• Love 2

I just caught about 5 minutes of the kids 11th birthday episode before I turned the channel in disgust.

What kind of horrible bitch would talk about her son's social and learning issues for ratings?

What an evil woman. Money and fame mean more to this asshole than anything else.

I'm not surprised though. Its not the first time she's terrorized or humiliated Colin on this show.

• Love 8

I liked the one girl who was braiding everyone's hair. Such a sleepover party thing to do. Seriously brought back good memories :)

Sounded like Kate was saying Colin had Aspergers. Yes? Never heard/read anything like that before.

• Love 1
(edited)

It did seem like Kate was somewhat more relaxed in the 11th b-day episode, although she was still micromanaging. Trotting out Collin's and Alexis' personal issues was uncalled for, imo. The same old Kate managed to shine, through, when she stated how THRILLED her friend was to be there helping HER!!! Nothing about Kate being grateful for the help. Noooo, her friend was the one who was THRILLED. It was a little more watchable with the twins being scarce in the episode. Mady is just so hard to take.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1

I wonder how the bday gifts worked. There were 10 guests. Was each child a friend of a specific Gosselin kid? Did the friend bring a gift for just that child? Just curious.

Also surprised that none of the parents had any problem with their kids being on the show. Not that its the worst thing ever, but Kate Gosselin is a fun-suck. Guess they were there for the kids, so the parents were cool with it?

• Love 1
The tragic thing about Collin's difficulties is that he is the one who Kate abused the most (picking him up by the hair as an infant and beating him in his crib), according to her own diaries that she copyright claimed to prevent the publication of that tell all. Child abuse is damaging to a developing brain. There have been a bunch of studies comparing the brains of adults abused as children versus adults raised in loving homes and the differences are alarming and very sad.

Whoa, what??? This is my first hearing about this - Kate's behavior, not abuse being related to brain development. I thought it was bad enough that she is verbally abusive and hyper controlling, but damn....I just can't. That's awful. I love Collin! He seems so sweet. 

• Love 2

I wasn't aware of any of that. Wow..i didn't think i could actually think any less of her and BOOM..there it is.

I'd like to see someone smash her around everytime she rolls her eyes or mugs it up for the camera.

• Love 1

Regarding the alleged child abuse. I'm of two minds. One, no one knows what really happened. Someone "claims" they accessed her hard drive. Is it common for child abusers to detail it on a computer and then throw the hard drive away? No. The fervor that some exhibit when attacking Kate makes me wonder about their own mental stability. They really need to find a life of their own. But, two, she put herself out there. No one would have known who she was if she hadn't decided to support her brood with a "reality" show. She does make a comfortable living and can't control the whack jobs that come out of the woodwork to talk shit about her, so.......

• Love 5

Why would she copyright something that wasn't true or wasn't her own writing?  That wouldn't be legal.

Apparently the birthday episode did not make the top 100 cable shows of the day.  Much of that and she won't be back on TV.

• Love 2

Regarding the alleged child abuse. I'm of two minds. One, no one knows what really happened. Someone "claims" they accessed her hard drive. Is it common for child abusers to detail it on a computer and then throw the hard drive away? No. The fervor that some exhibit when attacking Kate makes me wonder about their own mental stability. They really need to find a life of their own. But, two, she put herself out there. No one would have known who she was if she hadn't decided to support her brood with a "reality" show. She does make a comfortable living and can't control the whack jobs that come out of the woodwork to talk shit about her, so.......

Yup.  I agree with you.  I really don't much believe this either.

• Love 1

Kate went to court to copyright the materials found in her hard drive. Why would she go through all the hassle of doing this if she didn't write it? Notice she hasn't sued the author of her book for libel?

• Love 4

I'm a little late with this comment but I did watch the 40th birthday episode (why I will never know) but I think the saddest thing was when Colin (I believe it was him) bought her the two monkeys (or bears?), either way it was a statue of a parent animal and it's baby animal.  Kate opens it and has this weird look on her face and was like...what is it, and Colin proudly says "It's me and you mommy".  Instead of gushing over how sweet that was Kate said something along the lines of, "well where are the other 7 bears?", way to make your child feel special there mom.  She later said how she loved everyone's gift even though Colin got a little confused and forgot about his siblings (or something to that affect).  Now as a mother of only 3 kids I know it is important to try to spend some individual time with each child and I know it can be difficult for me I can only imagine having 8, but for crying out loud you don't make your own child feel like dirt because the pretty much $15 they had to buy you a gift couldn't get them a big enough statue.  My middle son is always drawing pictures of me and him out doing things, I don't reprimand him for not including his siblings, I understand he also wants some one on one time.  I swear my anger went through the roof at that point.

• Love 9

These poor kids have had every private, embarrassing moment of their lives put on television. Poor Colin was shown crying in pain because he was so constipated and his dad talked about pulling the impacted poop out of him, on camera. Their "nurse" mother couldn't be bothered to pull her nose out of a furniture catalog long enough to help her son.

Every moment of their lives has been on TV. Their mother doesn't care about them as people, she cares about them because they are her only source of income.

It's disgusting.

I've read the Robert Hoffman book and I believe every damn word. The witch never once denied any of it.

• Love 8
but I think the saddest thing was when Colin (I believe it was him) bought her the two monkeys (or bears?), either way it was a statue of a parent animal and it's baby animal.  Kate opens it and has this weird look on her face and was like...what is it, and Colin proudly says "It's me and you mommy".  Instead of gushing over how sweet that was Kate said something along the lines of, "well where are the other 7 bears?", way to make your child feel special there mom.

That just broke my heart. First, that gift was obviously very special to him. He couldn't afford it to begin, but the shop owner agreed to lower the price, considerably. And Colin was just SO grateful. What an endearing moment. And then she just dismisses it like that. It really proves that she just sees herself as a mom of multiples, but doesn't really honor the individual relationships with each one. So sad.

• Love 9

That just broke my heart. First, that gift was obviously very special to him. He couldn't afford it to begin, but the shop owner agreed to lower the price, considerably. And Colin was just SO grateful. What an endearing moment. And then she just dismisses it like that. It really proves that she just sees herself as a mom of multiples, but doesn't really honor the individual relationships with each one. So sad.

While I'm not necessarily pro-Kate, I usually don't mind her that much. I'm also not a huge "kid person" but I do see them as people, future grownups who WILL be affected by their childhoods. This scene stopped me in my tracks. It was just so bizarrely cruel. Colin seemed so proud of his gift -- and it was a really sweet gift -- and she just picked it apart. She gushed over everyone else's equally useless trinkets, but singled him out for criticism. I thought Kate had become a lot more self-aware lately, but that scene really gave her away.

• Love 9

I think Kate must have some sort of vendetta against Collin. That voiceover where she talks about how his "challenges" in detail was so bizarre, because there was no context for it, and it was clearly voiced over after the fact. Why add it at all? And then the scene with the gift. I don't know if he's done something to cross her recently, or she's just always had it out for him, but she's obviously punishing him, in her psychotic, narcissistic-personality-disorder way. And it's also pretty frightening how much the other kids' behavior is already reminiscent of their dear mother's.

• Love 2
(edited)

Collin was one of the kids that wanted to stay with dad, wasn't he? She likely resents that cus she is mother of the year. I'm half watching this 40th birthday extravaganza and wonder does TLC foot the bill for all of this? She looks pretty accustomed to that lifestyle.Makes me think back to the little cute house they were in when the littles were born.

I find i really don't even like any of the kids much anymore. .Let me correct that.Alexis and the boys are cute and Cara doesn't do anything to make my teeth grind. Maddy is an insufferable mouthpiece but she gets a pass due to her age. Leah and Hannah are awful mean little girls.

Can anyone tell me why this show is back? Is it to fill up Duggar time slots?

And i really don't want to hear her sociopath take on every single thing.

Edited by MarysWetBar

Good for (Alexis?) for shoving Hannah after Hannah so obviously and purposely pushed past her in the restaurant. And STFU Kate, in general but also for chastising that girl when Hannah was clearly the beeyotch.

And now that you can see how it happened on tape, that girl had better be getting an apology and Hannah a punishment.

• Love 3

These poor kids have had every private, embarrassing moment of their lives put on television. Poor Colin was shown crying in pain because he was so constipated and his dad talked about pulling the impacted poop out of him, on camera. Their "nurse" mother couldn't be bothered to pull her nose out of a furniture catalog long enough to help her son.

Every moment of their lives has been on TV. Their mother doesn't care about them as people, she cares about them because they are her only source of income.

It's disgusting.

I've read the Robert Hoffman book and I believe every damn word. The witch never once denied any of it.

I agree with everything Hoffman wrote about her, too. Otherwise she wouldnt have had those journals copywritten.
  • Love 1
I agree with everything Hoffman wrote about her, too. Otherwise she wouldnt have had those journals copywritten.

Legally there are about a dozen reasons you have something copyrighted.  One of this is that you wrote it.  But without seeing what they had, the only way to get a look is to have it copyrighted.  I personally decided that Jon and Hoffman doctored up those journals if not wrote them outright when I read the passage on how she grabbed Colin by the hair.  Yes of course you grabbed his hair.  His hair which at best was 1 inch long.   I think Jon initially had written that as one of the girls and then decided to make it Colin but forgot about that piece.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Sorry, but the Hoffman book reads like tabloid trash to me. WHAT hair? Collin always had a flat top. None of the boys had hair that was ever log enough to grab a hold of. If the passage were about Alexis (or any of the girls would have been more believable had it been about Alexis, since she's not as coddled as Hannah or Leah), it would have made perfect sense.  While I don't doubt that the Hoffman book holds some truths, but I think that they were sensationalized and embellished by the author and Jon. Jon hasn't proved credible in any way, shape or form. Or above lying, himself. As far as copyrighting it, whether they're true or not, copyrighting anything with your name keeps it from being reproduced. Now, TMZ or Radar On Suck or any magazine, can't print passages from it without paying Kate. She was protecting her own ass from both the truth getting out, and/or lies being spread. They were found on her laptop, so yes, she can copyright them as "her's." Do I think Jon, an IT guy, knew her passwords and could have gotten to them and embellished? Absofuckinglutely. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

Do I think Jon, an IT guy, knew her passwords and could have gotten to them and embellished?

When I first heard about the fact that the journal was nothing but a computer file I was really suspect.  I remember the J&K+8 answering questions episode.  The babies were about 3.  Jon explained that Kate couldn't figure out the computer so he would print out email that she needed to answer and then he would type it in.  At the time I was just floored she was that stupid.  Now I'm to believe that she was keeping a journal on that laptop in the master bedroom closet?  Yeah, right.  Since she got the court order basically she gets all but a small portion of the sales.  So in a real twisted way the more folks want to hate her the more money she makes.

• Love 1

The boys did have longer hair with bangs in the first season of the show fwiw. Didn't read the Hoffman book, but both Kate and Jon admitted to spanking their kids. Also, there was the infamous pap pic of Kate spanking Leah.

• Love 2

When I first heard about the fact that the journal was nothing but a computer file I was really suspect. I remember the J&K+8 answering questions episode. The babies were about 3. Jon explained that Kate couldn't figure out the computer so he would print out email that she needed to answer and then he would type it in. At the time I was just floored she was that stupid. Now I'm to believe that she was keeping a journal on that laptop in the master bedroom closet? Yeah, right. Since she got the court order basically she gets all but a small portion of the sales. So in a real twisted way the more folks want to hate her the more money she makes.

Wrong. I dislike her intensely and am waiting anxiously for her to have her Duggar or Honey Boo Boo moment but I don't contribute to her monthly spray tan fund.

It might take until one of the kids grows up, but there WILL be a Mommy Dearest book. Bank on it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just caught about 5 minutes of the kids 11th birthday episode before I turned the channel in disgust.

What kind of horrible bitch would talk about her son's social and learning issues for ratings?

What an evil woman. Money and fame mean more to this asshole than anything else.

I'm not surprised though. Its not the first time she's terrorized or humiliated Colin on this show.

This was so uncomfortable to watch and a major invasion of her son's privacy. Where does the line get drawn? And in the Mexico episode he was so sweet and sincere at his joyful moment of bargaining for the gift he wanted for her. It was a blatant plea for some love and individual attention from his mother which she rejected by humiliating him. Are they trying to edit her to look cruel and callous, because if so it's working.

Also, in the Mexico episode, Kate's "best friend" as usual was merely a paid employee, her makeup artist who was responsible for the heavily-caked foundation and overdone eye makeup.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 5

I so wanted to like her, but she makes it too hard.  
In the days of TWOP, and this was before she and Jon split, the posting board was shut down due to some of the hate filled rants and actual threats that went her way.  There is actually an online posting board dedicated to hating her.  I truly feel sorry for those who spend their days ridiculing her online.
“She beats her kids with a wooden spoon”, “she’s sleeping with her bodyguard”, “she’s dragging kids around by the hair”.  Bizarre, hate driven accusations, and I believe the majority of them are bullshit.
It’s the little things.  The seemingly innocuous comments that she makes to the kids, around the kids, or on camera which the kids will see.  Some things are just private.  She doesn’t get that.  At the end of the day she is providing for her kids, but she is hardly mother of the year.  I just can’t watch the shows anymore.  I feel too bad for the kids.

• Love 1

I always thought the TWoP board was shut down because of the fighting not the expressed dislike.  I admit I haven't liked or trusted Kate since practically the beginning.  I don't classify that as hate.  It isn't obsessive with me, but any mother who can't let her little kids finish carving pumpkins because she thinks she needs to begin cleaning the mess has a problem. 

• Love 4
(edited)
There is actually an online posting board dedicated to hating her.  I truly feel sorry for those who spend their days ridiculing her online.

Yup. I was a member of that offshoot board. When the thread at TWoP was shut down, I got an invite and accepted, thinking it was going to be a place to snark (like here). That was the way that it was originally advertised, and it MAY HAVE started out that way, but I grew increasingly uncomfortable, the longer I had access. I draw the line at actually contacting Kate, confronting her, posting addresses, accessing her college transcripts, posting photos of the kids and their home (that you take when you drive by to gawk), calling social services, posting the tax records on the Gosselin property, calling her estranged brother and his wife (the ones who were on the earlier shows), begging for scraps of gossip to post, etc. And some of the names that the kids were called? Wow. Especially the hate spewed toward the one 'tup who was Kate's favorite (we all know who, I'm just not going to dignify them by posting the child's name). Look, it's okay to NOT LIKE a reality show star. But, if I dislike someone that intensely, I simply don't watch them. I don't spend my life obsessed with taking them down. I enjoy snarking, but that's it. I occasionally see some of the same screen names from that board, Tweeting hate directly to Kate Gosselin, still to this day. I mean, damn. Get a life. Some of those whack jobs even came after ME after I left, trying to ferret out my new screen names in other places, finding out my real name and address, threatening to contact my place of employment, blah, blah, blah, unstablecakes. Scary shit. And they still think that they're doing all this "for the kids."   Kinda reminds me of what the Scientologists do to people who try to leave. 

My apologies if talking about this is against posting rules. Will I be "Trouted?" (There's a blast from the past for you former TWoPers) 

I don't care for Kate or Jon as people. I do like watching the kids.  She may be one of the the most anal retentive shrews on the planet, but the kids are decently cared for and no one's been molested by a sibling (yeah, I know...that we know of). I'd say she's ahead of several others in the Totally Looney Caucasian channel, Dysfunctional Family Sweepstakes. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6
(edited)

My apologies if talking about this is against posting rules. Will I be "Trouted?" (There's a blast from the past for you former TWoPers)

I don't care for Kate or Jon as people. I do like watching the kids. She may be one of the the most anal retentive shrews on the planet, but the kids are decently cared for and no one's been molested by a sibling (yeah, I know...that we know of). I'd say she's ahead of several others in the Totally Looney Caucasian channel, Dysfunctional Family Sweepstakes.

Like! I know I hit the like button but your post is so right on it deserves an additional like! I could rant off topic for reams about those losers, but I love it here so, I won't.

I do wish though that Kate would be gentler with the kids. Her words hurt them so much more than a whack on the arse with a wooden spoon. Yeah, you manage the money to feed and clothe them, but words hurt and haunt. Her mindless sound bites do nothing for the kid's self esteem. If I had a friend like her, well, we wouldn't be friends for long.

Edited by kathe5133
  • Love 3

I'd say she's ahead of several others in the Totally Looney Caucasian channel, Dysfunctional Family Sweepstakes.

Almost ruined a keyboard, I think I will refer to TLC from now on by that name....

• Love 3

Like! I know I hit the like button but your post is so right on it deserves an additional like! I could rant off topic for reams about those losers, but I love it here so, I won't.

I do wish though that Kate would be gentler with the kids. Her words hurt them so much more than a whack on the arse with a wooden spoon. Yeah, you manage the money to feed and clothe them, but words hurt and haunt. Her mindless sound bites do nothing for the kid's self esteem. If I had a friend like her, well, we wouldn't be friends for long.

I never was on the twop board, but have seen some other sites where the posts got pretty crazy on BOTH sides of the pro/anti Kate issue. I agree--scary.

I think some people may be " triggered" by Kate perhaps because of their own experiences being raised with similar parents (what they referred to as toxic narcissism?). Kate's careless comments and attitudes towards some of her children probably do hurt them more than a quick wack on the hiney--- but I don't think the wacks are painless or harmless, either.

• Love 1

Yup. I was a member of that offshoot board. When the thread at TWoP was shut down, I got an invite and accepted, thinking it was going to be a place to snark (like here). That was the way that it was originally advertised, and it MAY HAVE started out that way, but I grew increasingly uncomfortable, the longer I had access. I draw the line at actually contacting Kate, confronting her, posting addresses, accessing her college transcripts, posting photos of the kids and their home (that you take when you drive by to gawk), calling social services, posting the tax records on the Gosselin property, calling her estranged brother and his wife (the ones who were on the earlier shows), begging for scraps of gossip to post, etc. And some of the names that the kids were called? Wow. Especially the hate spewed toward the one 'tup who was Kate's favorite (we all know who, I'm just not going to dignify them by posting the child's name). Look, it's okay to NOT LIKE a reality show star. But, if I dislike someone that intensely, I simply don't watch them. I don't spend my life obsessed with taking them down. I enjoy snarking, but that's it. I occasionally see some of the same screen names from that board, Tweeting hate directly to Kate Gosselin, still to this day. I mean, damn. Get a life. Some of those whack jobs even came after ME after I left, trying to ferret out my new screen names in other places, finding out my real name and address, threatening to contact my place of employment, blah, blah, blah, unstablecakes. Scary shit. And they still think that they're doing all this "for the kids."   Kinda reminds me of what the Scientologists do to people who try to leave. 

I don't care for Kate or Jon as people. I do like watching the kids.  She may be one of the the most anal retentive shrews on the planet, but the kids are decently cared for and no one's been molested by a sibling (yeah, I know...that we know of). I'd say she's ahead of several others in the Totally Looney Caucasian channel, Dysfunctional Family Sweepstakes. 

I don't know why, but when people post opinions of Kate G, good or bad, you hear from the opposite side of that opinion from posters who respond as if you have personally attacked them. It's crazy.  If people want to discuss anything about KG get ready to defend yourself. 

• Love 2