Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Moms, Missions and Matrimony

• Start Topic

I’m starting to think Lisa’s son going on a mission is to get away from her for awhile,  seems like she’s too controlling with him.
Well, that explains Monica’s issue with her mother, that she abandoned her when she was 12. They’re both still crazy though and have a toxic relationship. 
That lunch between Mary and Whitney was definitely producer created. So fake. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 18

Mary is really a miserable person, I don’t know why anyone would want to befriend her or film with her.

Whitney is an annoying “little girl”.

Good grief Monica’s mom is the mother fucker the way she spoke to her daughter and tried to manipulate her was just awful. Glad that Monica didn’t want to play mamas games and went home to be with her own daughter. Hope that Monica realizes she doesn’t need her toxic mom and tells her go away and not contact her anymore.

• Like 20
  • Applause 1

Something is fishy with Monica & her Mom. Why, if she's paying for everything, is the vehicle titled in her mom's name? Then, a rented Range Rover? With dealer plates and a blacked out appearance package & performance wheels. Sure don't see a lot of those at Hertz.  Not to mention, Monica's been driving that same ride all season.

Their behavior both at the Easter party and at the restaurant seemed performance & rehearsed. I'm not buying it.

• Like 11
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 6

2 minutes ago, snarts said:

Something is fishy with Monica & her Mom. Why, if she's paying for everything, is the vehicle titled in her mom's name? Then, a rented Range Rover? With dealer plates and a blacked out appearance package & performance wheels. Sure don't see a lot of those at Hertz.  Not to mention, Monica's been driving that same ride all season.

Their behavior both at the Easter party and at the restaurant seemed performance & rehearsed. I'm not buying it.

You may be on to something. if they are doing this intentionally for a story line and $$, this is some sick twisted shit.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, snarts said:

Something is fishy with Monica & her Mom. Why, if she's paying for everything, is the vehicle titled in her mom's name?

Monica had the cash for the downpayment, but didn't have the credit to get the loan, so it went into her mom's name because she had the credit. Just a guess.

40 minutes ago, b2H said:

Anyone taking odds on how long before Jack demands to come home before the two years in Columbia are past?

Given that he would have to come home to Lisa, I think he'll stick it out.

• Like 7
  • LOL 11
58 minutes ago, politichick said:

Someone asked if Jack speaks Spanish. He may or may not and I am unsure if it matters. As I recall, Heather said something about having the opportunity to learn French during her missionary. I also suspect he's doing this to avoid college and Lisa.

I said out loud during the episode (to my dogs, who totes agreed) that Jack is somehow rebelling by being more religious than his mom.  Which is a choice I’ve never personally encountered. You do you Jack.

”I thought he’d get Europe, or like NYC.”  Oh, so you basically wanted him to get assigned somewhere you wanted to vacay Lisa?

The church does basic language lessons before the missions start, I think.  

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

Kinda getting tired of broke-ass Monica and her mom.  Probably a setup but secondhand embarrassment for them yelling at each other at events and now restaurants.  This could’ve been filmed from a therapist’s couch but I really don’t care.

I know Mary is entertaining for some, but she’s just an awful person.  I don’t care so much about Twitney, but she’s so ugly to service workers.  It’s not fun to watch.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1

I think Monica's  mum is a real beyotch. Why would she call her daughter such awful names, in  a crowded restaurant. I don't  want to see anymore  of her, and definitely  not in therapy.  

Jack told just about  everyone  about his mission,  before he told Lisa. Omg, he wanted frosted tips,  she seemed  upset at that .

• Like 5

Monica asked her mom to film with her. She needs to stop with the poor me routine. I think they probably have a messed up relationship but both are fine acting like assholes for the show. 
I’ll take Mary Cosby over Whitney. I can’t stand her for the most part. Bobble head. 
Can Jack please just go on his mission before he becomes the new Brooks Marks?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

Can Jack please just go on his mission before he becomes the new Brooks Marks?

Wasn't Jack positioned as a rising young entrepreneur in an earlier season, complete with stylish wardrobe and arrogant attitude? Skip college and become wealthy just like that? When that didn't happen, the mission became the latest great escape (from Lisa and boredom). I give it six weeks with Mommy buying a plane ticket home. Do we know if Jack actually went on the mission? Would the church want this reality TV kid?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, snarts said:

Something is fishy with Monica & her Mom. Why, if she's paying for everything, is the vehicle titled in her mom's name?

Right?! And if she has such a toxic dysfunctional relationship with her mother, why bring her on the show?

• Like 13
  • Useful 1

Whitney invited Mary to dinner to give Mary a chance to own up to and apologize for hurting her fillings. Does she even know Mary? I know a lot of poster don't like her, but, Mary wanting no part of Whitney's therapy session dinner cracked me up.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 10
1 hour ago, SweetieDarling said:

Right?! And if she has such a toxic dysfunctional relationship with her mother, why bring her on the show?

That is one of the most effed up relationships I've ever seen on reality TV.  There are a lot of deep underlying issues between Monica and her Mom that should not be brought out into the light on a TV show, unless they are both looking for some kind of Z-list celebrity fame.

It pissed me off when Monica was saying something about how her kids are now affected by the toxic relationship between her and her Mom.  If that's the case, why the hell are you putting it all out there on TV for the world, your teen daughters' friends and everyone else to see?  

Monica's Mom is horrible, imo.  I gasped when she called her daughter an MFer, and then, doubled down on it, repeating it again.  That was some cruel, nasty shit there.  

There's so much wrong there, and being on a Housewives show isn't going to fix it.

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Jack hates Lisa, which is par for the course for teenage boys. His disdain for her whenever she spoke was obvious. Have fun in Bogota! He will come back speaking fluent spanish, which is always good.

I like Monica even though she is super dramatic.

Her mother is a narcissistic cow.  She is worried about no one but herself, and those tears while looking up to make sure that Monica was seeing that she was crying was some terrible acting. They sure dried up quick when she saw they weren't working. Monica probably has no credit or terrible credit because of the divorce so asked her mom to sign for her car. So mom uses it as tool to get Monica to do what she wants. She needs to get far away from her mother before she ruins her own relationship with her daughters.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

Lisa confused me with her excitement about her son going somewhere so unsafe, someplace where he will be held up at gunpoint weekly...why would the church send these young kids in to such a dangerous place? I have always taught my kids to never put themselves in harms way if at all possible, Lisa is cheering on her son's assignment in (her self described) a dangerous place, what am I missing?

Also, please tell Jack his home dye job is a horrible one, he should go to Angie K's salon and get the mess fixed.

My real question is how many people have changed their religion from someone knocking on their door? Is it a successful method, my people don't proselytize so I would be amazed at Jack's ability to sell a religion or anything really, we have seen his Fresh Wolf nonsense.

Ah, poor Whitney and her hilling journey.

Monica needs to look at her relationship with her mother with a critical eye so she does not repeat that behavior with her own kids if it is not too late.  I'd hate to hear how Monica was doing "the 69" on her couch in the middle of the afternoon and have her kids walk in her. I guess her kids would just say hi to their uncle?

• Like 6
  • LOL 14

Lisa makes Everything about herself. That story about a roommate wearing her clothes to see what it felt like to be her for a day? Bitch, please. If that happened, she was being sarcastic and mocking you. Then, her son had to cut her off to give his own speech.  These missions look like vacations with some religious nagging of strangers thrown in.

Mary was done with that dinner as soon as the waitress spilled food on her dress. How can she return it to the store now?! But she was willing to wait for that to-go box! "Can you do it for me?". Lmao lazy ass.

• Like 10
  • LOL 7

How can anyone eat food after a blowup like that? That's how I know her Mom is a nutter without normal human feelings. 'what did you want me to do?!  When do I get forgiven?!...... Sigh, I'm hungry'.  Wow

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
16 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I don’t know how being friends with Mary is good for Whitney’s mental health. Why push it? Mary doesn’t like you Little girl. 

Wake up, bobblehead!

15 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

Monica (to the waiter)  - excuse me, can I get a straw?

What's wrong with that?

3 hours ago, janiema said:

I really like Lisa’s husband.

I loved his barely contained parental pride at Jack's party.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I'm not exactly sure why they decided to bring her back, or why Mary decided to come back, unless it's because she needed the money and the take-out food.

Who cares?  Mary is excellent TV.  It's only lunchtime and I've said "Wake up, bobblehead!" at least 5 times at work!

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
31 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

But she was willing to wait for that to-go box! "Can you do it for me?". Lmao lazy ass.

I don't know about this one.  Mary and I are probably the same age, and might remember days of yore when one was at a restaurant and asked for the remainder of the meal to be taken home.  The server would take the plate and come back with a bag with one's dinner all wrapped up nice.  That's what Mary might have been requesting.  Today one get's a styrofoam container, no aluminum foil, no wax paper.  Alas.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

Sigh, here we go again with Mary. Whitney was probably pushed by production to have that sit down. There is absolutely no getting through to Mary so idk why anyone would bother.

Also, it looked like waitress spilled a bit on the table and not actually on Mary  but I could be wrong about that.

Monica's mom 😳 Saying she would call the cops if Monica didn't give her the car was low because that's not just punishing Monica, it's punishing her grandkids. That dinner was cringe to watch. I'm so glad my mom is normal.

• Like 10

This part is not weird to me at all. I had to do it a few years ago when I needed a new car unexpectedly (well, new to me; it was a couple of years old, but not from a private seller). Once I paid it off, I had the title transferred to my name. I just needed help at the time of purchase, and I know a few people who have been in the same situation.  

As for the rest, though, I think I wondered a few episodes ago if Monica and her mom may be in cahoots with the drama for air time. If not though, even if you don't dig Monica at all, I feel for her in this horrific relationship. Good lord, that mom is a mess. And she thought the guacamole was dessert, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Ok Monica and her mother are both a bit crazy and of course being on a reality show and spewing all your issues is for sure going to make your situation better. Everyone knows this.

After last nights ep, I am now convinced that their issues are choreographed for the show.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
17 hours ago, Steph J said:

Monica had the cash for the downpayment, but didn't have the credit to get the loan, so it went into her mom's name because she had the credit. Just a guess.

Yes, exactly. When it comes to toxic people like Monica's mother, just suck it up and buy the used Hyundai for cash. Don't splurge for the Range Rover with mommy's help; you'll come to regret it. 

At some point hopefully she'll realize being modest and happy is better than rich and miserable.

For everyone wondering if Monica and her Mom's drama is real; yes, that stuff really does happen. Those who've had at least a somewhat supportive family can't fully understand it. Be thankful for what you've got.

• Like 11
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, wallies said:

Yes, exactly. When it comes to toxic people like Monica's mother, just suck it up and buy the used Hyundai for cash. Don't splurge for the Range Rover with mommy's help; you'll come to regret it. 

At some point hopefully she'll realize being modest and happy is better than rich and miserable.

For everyone wondering if Monica and her Mom's drama is real; yes, that stuff really does happen. Those who've had at least a somewhat supportive family can't fully understand it. Be thankful for what you've got.

I totally think their issues are real.  But I do think they have orchestrated their  storyline to keep the ice cube.  Not that they made up their history.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I don't think anyone is questioning whether such situations can happen;  obviously we all know they can. Can doesn't mean did. Speaking only for myself, I just casually wondered whether their history was (a) real, and/or (b) as dysfunctional as they're expressing on camera. I am not positing that they're faking for TV, just wondering if they might be. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6

So now we have Mary out of her closet but in "to go" containers like she will never eat in public, I picture her going home and running up to her closet and chowing down on her take out.

I wish we could have had more scenes with Mary and her son and daughter in law because THAT is a story line but Mary apparently does not need a story line to stay on the show.

Jack the Missionary will happily go to Colombia and get held up once a week to get away from his mother.

No Brooks this episode.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
19 hours ago, snarts said:

Linda is a toxic narcissist and as a result, Monica is screwed up. The relationship is codependent and dysfunctional. I also wondered about the rented car, and it makes me think it's another way Monica's mother is controlling her. Linda is nuts to threaten to call the cops on her own daughter over a car she's allowed her to use. The woman is either on something or crazy. 

I cannot stand Mary. She isn't entertaining to me. She treats people horribly and won't participate in much of this show, so why is she on it? Whitney looked pathetic trying to get Mary to like her. Give up, Whitney. The woman can't stand you and treats you badly. Why do you want someone like that for a friend?

Might be better for Whtiney to focus on her husband, because it doesn't look like the two of them are getting along well. Is this what eventually happens after the husband marries the other woman? Perhaps the drudgery of reality has set in. 

And what was up with Justin not wearing his wedding ring? My husband and I have argued many times, but neither of us has taken off our wedding ring after.

Was Angie's husband blowing her off when he got home? He seemed in a hurry to get into the shower rather than hang out with Angie and her father. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 14

Monica is the daughter who gladly shows us what an effed up relationship she has with her disturbed mother. But she will turn around and have her mother babysit the kids while she goes on a girls get away and has her mom sign for an expensive car. If Monica's mom is as bad as she is being showed then Monica needs to back away, cut ties and don't ask for and accept her help.  And don't drag her on a TV show so that you can show how horrible she is. That doesn't make Monica look any better than her  mother.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

In the episode title, what is “matrimony” referring to?

I was wondering the same thing but then realized Angie asking her father for marital advice, and Whitney and Justin discussing work-life balance was the “matrimony” part, I thought maybe we were going to meet Mary’s daughter-in-law that she didn’t know she had.

I can’t believe no one commented on Meredith’s harrowing tale of her near death experience! The juxtaposition of the video of the car stopped near a snow bank with its blinkers, with the full-length Instagram sympathy-seeking post, and the dramatic music, as she regaled her life flashing before her eyes—inter-spliced with everyone just giving some eyes and taking a sip of their drinks. I laughed so hard. I gotta say, I am loving this ridiculously dramatic Meredith we’re getting this season. It’s like she’s decided to lean fully into becoming a telenovela character. The sad part is I think she’s being serious, but it’s been perfection to behold since the vroumas and nastiness about Angie’s huzzbin.

I have a lot more empathy for Monica. I think last week I was like 70% down on LD and 30% Monica being problematic too. But now I’m like it’s amazing that Monica can be as well-functioning as she is dealing with that upbringing and {insert various mental illness and personality disorders here} mother. I was also surprised to hear that grandma is dysfunctional too, since they also introduced her as the three of them being this very tight-knit family. Now it turns out none of them (mom and grandma) wanted to be mothers and abandoned their kids—and yet they’re all super-involved as adults?!? Monica, maybe it’s time to drop LD off with some family friends in Pennsylvania so you and your kids can go start a fresh life without her.

what was the deal with Lisa “joking” about Jack getting held up at gunpoint in Colombia?!? This is a real concern. Trying to make a laugh out of it really fell flat. But now I think I’m starting to understand her a bit better when she says wild, insulting things and doesn’t understand why people get upset. I think in her mind she’s “being funny”?!?

However, not the case with Mary. If—when—she’s being insulting, oh, she means it! And when you try to give her the benefit of the doubt or a chance to clear up what was surely a misunderstanding—oh, no, she doubles down. Just like LD. Yeah, I called you a mother fucker because…you’re a mother fucker! I think she forgot she’s the “mother” that would be getting fucked in this scenario. But it sounds like no, biggie—lock the kid in the car trunk so mother can get fucked. What?!?

• Like 7
  • Applause 4

Whitney didn't speak to her mom for 13 years.  Heather has completely cut off all contact with her mother.  Monica should do the same.

Agree with others re:  the car.  Just suck it up, buy yourself a used car, and let this toxic engulfing narcissist go.  Production drives you to all the show events; for everything else, drive the used Kia.  We would all have so much more respect for you.

We all want to believe in this Hollywood movie ending, where mom realizes all her wrongs, apologizes profusely for dropping off her daughter in another state and sticking her in the trunk so she can bang some guy.  This isn't Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts.  In our reality, Linda will call you a M-F'er till the day she dies.  Distance yourself for good, and do yourself a favor.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 10/31/2023 at 8:31 PM, snarts said:

I think it's all theater,  After all, Monica was a student of Jen Shah, so to speak.  Also, the lease on the first SUV was probably  too expensive, so Monica down graded to a cheaper car. I have an astute bull shit detector and they set mine off every scene they are in.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

I don't think Jack's mission is going to last that long.

It's one thing to rebel in your suburban Utah living room and another schlepping door to door wearing a shirt and tie in your black khakis in the middle of a Bogotá summer.

He doesn't seem built for discomfort or hard work just for the sake of rebellion.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
16 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Was Angie's husband blowing her off when he got home? He seemed in a hurry to get into the shower rather than hang out with Angie and her father. 

So it is interesting to me as well because I thought I saw him thru the window in the street with the car hood open when Angie's father came to visit (Oh btw, he is Greek in case you didn't know), but Angie said he went to work...did anyone else see what I think I saw?

1 hour ago, bosawks said:

I don't think Jack's mission is going to last that long.

It's one thing to rebel in your suburban Utah living room and another schlepping door to door wearing a shirt and tie in your black khakis in the middle of a Bogotá summer.

He doesn't seem built for discomfort or hard work just for the sake of rebellion.

I have seen those guys on bikes around my neck of the woods and it made me wonder if those guys were actually assigned to Reisterstown MD for their mission, it's a lot better than being in the wilds of Colombia and getting held up at gun point weekly.  In my opinion Jack is just happy getting away from Mom but if that was the case why wouldn't he just go to college?

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have seen those guys on bikes around my neck of the woods and it made me wonder if those guys were actually assigned to Reisterstown MD for their mission, it's a lot better than being in the wilds of Colombia and getting held up at gun point weekly.  In my opinion Jack is just happy getting away from Mom but if that was the case why wouldn't he just go to college?

There were a good 50+ kids all gathered around eagerly awaiting Jack’s mission-reveal party. Presumably all of these kids are Mormon and also going on missions. I can almost see why a teen, whose pre-frontal cortex isn’t fully developed yet, would get caught up in the hoopla of what everyone else is doing. In lots of school communities, everyone is that excited planning where to go to college. Maybe in other communities where college isn’t a big focus for socio-economic reasons, the majority of kids get excited about signing up for the whichever branch of the military or working toward a specific trade or something. But this school seemingly is majority Mormon and “everyone” goes on a mission right after high school, before figuring out what to do with their lives from there. We saw last season—or maybe even the season before—Lisa encouraging Jack to go to college, and he’s all, why? I’m already “CEO” of Wolfman or whatever grooming at 15 (Ha!). This kid has an opportunity to not go to college and instead “travel the world” like all the other “cool kids” are doing?! Of course he’s going to go, whether or not his family is really that religious.

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 7